Speaker 1: In twenty twenty one, Britney Spears, at the time thirty nine years old, had spent the last thirteen years living under a conservative ship. Is that too many numbers so far? I'm doing girl math right now. It's that's like the cool thing at the moment, girl girl math whatever. No one really does. This is degrading to women. I don't know. People love saying it though I've got my account. A woman's fantastic. We should start saying boy math. Yeah, it's okay, we're doing goy math. Doing boy math. In court, she spoke out publicly for over twenty minutes about her harrowing experience under the thumb of her father Jamie Spears and lawyer Andrew Wallat. No, that is not a joke. Oh my gosh. Is that that's called nominative determinism.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, when your name is your job, like if you're Craig Baker and you're a Baker, great, great, Yeah, I love that. Since the establishment of Spears's conservativeship, she had released four albums, headlined a global tour that grossed one hundred and thirty one million dollars and performed for four years in her Las Vegas residency, yet her conservatives deemed her unfit to take care of herself. They had control of a spending communications and personal decisions. This is a story of the Free Britney movement. It's Britney bitch, It's Britney bitch. And we can reference George is not here of course, Yeah yeah, yeah, let's not pretend that she's here. She didn't speak because I do such great impression, great gread, this would be great. This is so good. Hey, everybody, welcome to not Another Crime podcast. I'm Sammy Peterson and I am not a journalist. I'll just say that right up front. I'm not a goddamn journal A very quick message from me aka semip letting you know that she was sick this week when we recorded, and instead I was joined by the Great Joel Creasy and decided to actually have a less grisly murder story this week and give you all a very well deserved break. But still in the realm of crime. I am talking about the Free Britney Movement, the great Britney Spears Icon Britney Spears, and in the same vein, I want to let you know that Joel and I get very excited around each other, continue to talk, have a great time, and I will break up this episode by bringing in some facts about Britney, so at some point it will just be me just talking, just delivering the facts. And then Joel and I discussed more about Britney and some of the things that kind of happened around that time. I hope you enjoy this episode. Gee will be back this coming Thursday in a Thursday Treat episode which is a murder story this week, so you get this episode is just an overview of the Britney Spears conservativeship and we'll be back with the mail bag as well very soon. Thank you for writing in the best way to support this podcast, as you know, is continually leaving five star reviews, five star ratings and of course writing into Sammy at just Another Company dot com dot au or leaving us a voicemail. All of the links are in the show notes below. It's Brittany Bitch. Okay, let's start Mickey Mouse Club. Were you Team Brittany or Team Christina? Always team Brittany. Who are you team Christina? Yeah? Yeah, yeah yeah. I love Christina Aguilera. I went and saw her in Perth at the Burswood Dome which was the old theater in Perth Theater Stadium and it was held up by like a like a like a helium sort of dome. And when you exited because of the I guess the air pressure, you get like blown out. Yeah, you have security catch you on the other side of the door. God. Yeah. That's also where they had the Hopman Cup, which was the Perth tennis tournament, where I was a bull boy. Were you actually yes, I was a ball a boy for the concert. Throw a ball at because you know when you see the ball kids, ball boys, boy kids, ball kids, the top ball kid one at the net. Yes, that's experienced. You get to stay at the net the whole time, just in case you're gonna run across. Yes, yeah, yeah yeah, and often you mon't get hit by a ball. The most exciting bit. Yeah I was not. I never got net, but I was up the back and Serena hit me with the ball once and that bruise, like, I wish it stayed for life. Yeah she could designed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh go your tattoo. I love that, but tattoo the band other things she's said, I don't think she's sad and are they fake lesbians or not. Remember that its controversy. Oh also, yeah, I'll get back to it. Tattoo when I was commentating Eurovision with Beautiful before hers, Yeah, Tattoo, the band the Foe whatever they were commentate Eurovision for Russia. Do they really They are in the commentary booth next to Oh my God because they're legends. Yeah. With that one song, Capital T little a Capital T listener, it's so confusing to spell. I can never get it right. I know, at least at Nova, you know, we keep it really familiar. I don't think, just know. That's our current catch phrase. Now I should say Georgie Love is not here today, but she said I want someone who is like me, another gay man. So crazy. That's exactly what she said because she's not here. And you know, it's weird giving compliments to people's face and something you and I do, like you get you get so uncomfortable when someone starts complimenting you. She is so great, she's so great, she's so great, she's so funny. I just think she's such a talent. She has such a beautiful speaking voice. Yeah, yeah, you really should be anchoring like a primetime news show. And she's so beautiful, so beautiful. I forget every I've known a for years, hung out so many times, every single time, I'm like, oh that's right, you're stunning. Yeah yeah, well you forget because there's so many other qualities to her, like she's so fucking funny all the time, and she's really britiitue. Yes. Yeah, there's a beautiful photo of her as a child to your people left that she thought I wouldn't hang up, and I was like, oh, I'm going to hang that out. That is so funny. She's also the gayest man Ever's the gayest man? Like, where is she right now? New York? Yeah, she's pretating to be sick so she can go to New York for five hours, I know, seeing Hamilton show time. So what was I saying? So you were talking about the concert? Yeah, and Bulkid and then I'll get back to the concert. Oh my gosh, this is okay. So bull Kid, I was put on drinks duty, so that's kind of like your lower ranking bull Kid, and I was fabulous on drinks. It's getting like the powerade. Yeah, I'm going like, Kim Cloisters, what would you like? Like, you know, like, what can I make you. And also I was such a huge Kim Clysis fan growing up because I used to play competitive tennis. Loved Belgian number one Kim Cleisters so much. I had my tennis racket, I had the grip the same color as her, the same brand babbalat the same shock absorber. And we were waiting to walk out because one because I'm hotting cup is country versus country. Okay, sure I got to walk the Belgian flag out for Kim Cleisters. Wow. And this is when she was dating Lane and Hewett and twelve year old Joel in a legionnaire's cap because we were sponsored by like Sun Smart even though it was an indoor event. Terrible name for a cap, by the way, like it's also a disease which the legion and that's the cap is so ugly. I probably hardly get the disease. I said to Kim Clisters, you're too good for Layton. They broke They broke up a month later. Yes, I said that almost did no as like will as the Belgian national anthem was playing. Whether she heard me or not, I don't know, but they brought it al. That's so funny. So you broke those two up. Oh my god, Now the concert that you went to, what did you think when you saw this Christina Aguilra. So this is when everyone was like, oh, she's pregnant and she was pretending not to be. On the screens were these like amazing images of her, like walking backstage, and we meant to imagine it was at the Birdswood Dome, and I guess because they used the same the same vision everywhere and she's in this like amazing This was during the you know, the candy Man sort of sixties zero. Yeah, this amazing tight white suit with a little like white fedora. And then and it's like as if she's about to come out onto stage, but she comes out in a completely different, altered sort of suit, all everything taken out, and I'm like, oh, she's pregnant. And that was the last show. She canceled the rest of the Australian tour. Oh wow, because she had a fight with Carl gais the only reason. What a reference? Just reference? Well, you're talking about the Nckey Mouse Club and it you like the most. But she was so good life. She is one of the great vocalists. But then I went and saw her last year at Flemington Racecourse. She had a racecods. I think she was number seventeen. And no, she did a like a festival and the weather was so bad. It wasn't the one with tea pain or something. Was that there was a boy of course and was better. Wow, admittedly the weather was not on Christina side. Yeah, sure, it was so good. Yeah, she'd be great live, she'd be so much fun. So that have you seen Britney? Yes, so I saw Brittany in the burrs Were Dome, the same place. It's it's now off to stadium and no, so she comes out she's doing the Circus tour. This is when stuff's really starting to go down with Brittany and people are starting to go is everything okay? They're as talking about the lip syncing at this time. Weren't they a lot of lip sync? Yeah? And this is before Perez Hilton was canceled. So Perez is like kind of doing this big intro about Perez Hill. Yeah, never forget, you know, the penises on the face. And and it's a concert where the stage is in the middle. So Brittany arrives, everyone cheers and then Brittany goes in Perth and she goes, Hello Brisbane. For any other artist, the crowd would turn on you, but the Perth crowd were like, yes, we've got we've got crazy Britney. We don't care that you don't know where you are. It's better for us if you don't. Yes, But now all the Britney videos go dancing with the nice. There is so much going on. And also, like people became obsessed with the Instagram and I want to kind of long caption the long captions. I want to get you back on at some point to talk about don't fuck with cats where people actually did the did like internet sleuths did something good for one. Yeah, Body Movin and John Green, the two like that were they were their Internet aliases. Yeah, yeah, biggest nerds ever tracked down a serial killer obsessed wild But Britney I'm right across because we talk about her a lot of Yeah, yeah, have you seen the footage of her recently doing the dance you know with the weird sort of yeah, what do they call those tops? They're like, was the bally dance one that she did?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: She always saw its a little of dancing, you know, on the house. Improly it's jazz dance. Yeah, she loves the little belly dancing. You know, she's like ten years They add a and who I once met and she said to me, I'm really good friends with the comedian And I said her and she said, Joe Christy get out. This was like ten years ago. Look do you know why she would have said that. I used to write jokes for ten years? Did you really had some sort of online series? And I was writing some jokes for her and she's for everyone is from Who Dares Win? Who Dares Win? Which is so funny because an episode that's coming out this week, we talk about Mike Whitney for a very long time and ten years Lada comes up, so, oh, Michael, yeah, because if Mike Whitney, So if the person they asked to do the dare wouldn't do the dare, then Mike would do it. And then remember sometimes ten years iad it would do the dare and I was like little gay was like and also looking back, the dares were so light, so lame. I remember one where it was like always in a shopping center and it was like, oh, we're jumping.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: This was one where there was like would you get naked in a sleeping on that show. And then and then Mike always went and got the clothes that was his bit and walked up, Hey, Mike, good stuff, still good stuff. Well, I remember doing a gig with Fiona Lachlan and had the comics lounge and ten year's Ada came along because this is around the time to see Joe Christie, her favorite Joe Christie. He's great, sounds like great Christie, like a US politician. And she came up to Fiona and I and sort of like, kind of she's really lovely and very in person. Tanya's very enigmatic and you kind of like draws you in. And she came up to Fionna and I and she goes, I love humor, she told, she told, she told me that she loves jokes. Yeah, I love jokes. And the second she left the room, Fiona and I were like, well, I love air, I love water, Yeah, I love breathing, I love sleeping, I love him, I love humor. I don't do it myself, but I love to watch. But she would thought it was a real insightful yeah comment, And I don't want ten years out of any other way. That's exactly the person you imagine for sure.
Speaker 2: What you don't realize is that Britney's making you all this money and all you do is write a bunch of crap about her. She hasn't performed on stage in years. Her song ist God Give Me More for a reason because all you people one is more and more and more and more and more alone.
Speaker 1: And the Free Britney movement was such a thing where it was like Chris Crocker was the first person to come out and say leave Britain, that's right, which was like two thousand and seven. Yeah, and that was like kind of early days of YouTube, I want to say, Yeah, it was, yeah, and Chris Crocker became a huge star around that time. Yeah, he surely drew like an I'm a celebrity appearance, But it was It was such an interesting time because people went, there's something going on with Britney, but no one really knew exactly what to And because when was the kiss with Madonna on stage? Oh god, that would have been early two thousands, I think, because wouldn't Christina have been pissed because sheer this Madonna too, but they cut away really yeah, but that Madonna kissed Christina first and then Brittany. So Brittany got Christina Christina sloppy second, but they do a cut away to the audience. Oh my god, this was double a dirty day. So when Christine had like the really raggedy black hair, but yeah, I remember that leave Britney alone. It was iconic. And also so many people have told me that I look like him, really Chris Crocker, I'm like, cool, thanks, what the guy the guy on YouTube over a person he doesn't even know and say, remember the line, if you want to go to Brittany, You're gonna have to go through me. Hilarious, And I think even Brittany was like, hilario, take that. I don't want to know. Yeah, that would be hard. That's like a feather.
Speaker 2: Speaking of professionalism, when is it professional to publicly bash someone who's going through our time?
Speaker 1: Bretty alone?
Speaker 2: Please leave Britney Spruce alone right now a minute. Anyone who has a problem with her, you deal with me because she's not well right now.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Conservativeships, there aren't that many like public conservative ships. It's so conservativeship for people that don't know is kind of you're under some sort of like illegal guardian when you can't take care of yourself. A lot of the time. It's for people with Alzheimer's. Yeah, you can't take over them to take care of their own finances and everything. Wendy Williams is apparently under one. Oh my god, Wendy Williams. Wendy Williams. Yeah, waiting for the people that you would know. Okay, I'll come back and do don't fuck your cats and they I'll come back and do. Wendy Williams. What about when she wasssed this is the statue of Liberty and fa Yeah. Yeah. And Amanda Bindes is the other one that's under Conservative ship at the same time. Amanda Bynes is a bit like Lindsay Lynghan could have had an oscar in it. Absolutely still could. I think Lindsay still could. Yeah, after Freaky Friday too, it's a sorry get a freaky freaky freaky, but the first one was really fun, so much fun. Yeah, So basically a conservative ship for people that don't know. Is it like being a child again and your adults are in the parents. Yeah. Yeah, it's like kind of like just having I guess power of attorney is when someone can actually say you're going to take care of this stuff for me. I I can't do it anymore. They don't have but they actually vocalize that or write it down. Okay. And a conservativeship is when someone else takes over, including finance, including finance, so you're not even allowed to like buy a coffee. Well no, so you have an allowance in a conservative ship. So which is the stuff that we're going to get into is that Jamie her dad started to take control of her finances and everything wage and it got really horrible really quickly. Like it's a yeah. Look, I was saying to someone the other day, like I think I might need a Carara. That's a bit different to being like so nice. I had a PA for seven years. Yeah, I've gone a year without one. Did you call did she call them your cara? Essentially? Yeah, came fed you. Yeah, to give a walk being a dog kid, I know. I mean I was late today. I'm late everywhere, but on gates or drag time. You told me that, you said gates always run late. Yeah, we call it drag time. A drag show will never go up on time. Say the drag show is at ten pm. Yeah, those girls are going on a twenty five because they're backstage learning the curry like fifteen minutes. Yeah yeah, yeah, Well, so Joel, today, I'm going to tell you a little bit about Britney spears and you you know a lot of this stuff anyway, so I don't yeah, yeah, need to be more informed. You're going to learn all of this stuff about Britney and then you're going to be a Britney expert. Maybe it'll be Pritzburg, maybe it'll be a convert Kin. Well, I can, I can. I can change you from loving Christina and seeing Christina every time. I don't think you no, I don't think you about to change it because Brittany, this is what I always have a debate about. I don't think she's a gay icon. Right. There's a lot of like, like how we choose gay icons is very weird. I wouldn't say Christine is a gay icon, nor would Colleen gay. So how are they picked? Like happen? It just happens anyone with the surname and Brendan Madonna, yes, okay, Gaga probably, yeah, Chris Jenna, it's Piggy, Yes, huge gay icon one of the originals share icon. But that's so obvious. Yeah, yeah, but Brittany maybe not, maybe not Julie Hillard Weirdly maybe a gay icon, even though she didn't pass gay marriage. It's just we have a weird set of rystols and then it either comes across Magda or my desk and we stamp it and then you've got your gay. It just says gay. Yeah, she gave a gay icon. So on July fourteenth, twenty twenty one, Britney Spears gave her court testimony. I have been in shock. I am traumatized. You know, fake till you make it. But now I'm telling you the truth. Okay. I'm not happy. I can't sleep. I'm so angry it's insane, and I'm depressed. I cry every day. So maybe you can understand the depth and the degree and the damage that they did to me back then. I want changes and I want changes going forward. I deserve changes. So that was her court testimony to get Jamie Spears her father away. So when she says they did to me, she's talking about gay parents. Yeah, so Lynn and and Jamie are two parents that she's talking about. Because the sister as well, Yeah, who was in the film Crossroads. I believe do you know I don't think I've ever seen it because she's not a gay icon. That's I know, very I mean the thing though, there would be people that go, know she is a gay icon. There's debate, there's debate. Would you have a debate about it? Do you think that you would? Who would be the first? I do the great debate Forum Comedy Festival. I'll run past them and is Brittany a gay icon?
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 1: It's so fun? Yeah, can't wait to see Tom Gleason debating that one. A few days later, Brittany took to instagram dot com to thank her fans for their ongoing support. The hashtag she wrote was free Britney. I remember online slits would tell Britney that if she needed help, she should wear a yellow shirt. Remember this in one of her videos, And the next day Britney wore a yellow shirt. Was this conspiracy theory or was it actually happening in front of everyone's eyes? So that was a big thing. Everyone went she shaved her head at one point, So I was going to say, over in cancer, when did the shaving the head? Two thousand and seven? And was that when she was hitting the bonet of the yep? Because there was a paparazzo that she was not a fan of it. Oh, tell me about it. I would have done the same. You are with an umbrella most of the time. You hit there with onever do you know? I when I get papped, it's always when they're waiting for someone else at the airport. So like I'll be walking through the airport, the pap will see me and he'll go, okay, pick up his camera and go click and put it back down because he's waiting for like Sam Frost or something. Right, do you continually walk back from forth like at that time You're like, I'm like, well, don't bother? Yeah, don't yeah. Yeah. Once when I got properly papped, like they were waiting for me, I was going for lunch in Sant Kilda with Chrisy's one and perhaps are waiting and my mom stopped and posed like she was on like a red carpet you meant to walk past? Could I have that when on the way out? Could you air drop that to So the question is, Joel, how did Britney get here? How did a global icon slip through the cracks? The pressure on her was insane. There were so many expectations on one of the most famous people in the world. Britney seemed really lonely. She didn't seem to have anyone she could really trust. So today on the podcast, we're not talking about Grizly murders for once, I having a little break. Joel's here instead of Georgia, and we're talking about the Free Britney movement and how the pop princess lost all of her freedom. So it started with Mickey mouse Club. Everything always starts with Mickey mouse Club. But I can't name anyone else apart from Brittany and Christina that came from there, but I know it was Selena, go Timberlake? What was what was your the JT? This is going to ru JT. Yeah, it's going to run the tour? What tour I've kind of been obsessed with for a long time. The justin Timberlake dancing Now I know, which is so like I w sexy back to what once again? In that same birds would Die and we had blown out the door and I was on Rove Live and remember he was on Rove Live back in the day, and he was talking about Rove Live asked him the question something like not who would you turn gay? For, but he probably did ask him that he used always ask that was his question. And remember when former Prome Minister Kevin Rudd was on and he said who would you turn gay for? And he says my wife to raise? Oh, that's right, And I'm like, isn't it to rese But he always says to raise, always to raise? Isn't she like minted hinted she had a billionaire? I think yeah. But yeah, so JT was on there and and he it wasn't Pink every birthday, but I must have had the rigging, you know, to come down in the silks. I'm like, can Pink sing a song on the ground? I don't know she can. If she can, she has to be in flight. Her vocals don't work normal furious she didn't get alphbetm wicked. But but yeah, so I was like, yeah, I remember him being on there and going, you know, you're making sexy music. Like, how do you feel about, you know, people making love listening to your music? That was the big question at the time. And I think Justin because because I call him Justin because of JT's music back because of his music back then, people did kind of go, he's really cool. He's really But then all this stuff started to come out about Brittany and how he treated Brittany. Oh Brittany has destroyed Yeah yeah, which was fascinating to watch. So we talked about Chris Crocker before. Who's now Kara Cunningham who posted the leave Britney Alone video back in the day in two thousand and seven. Real pioneer people have always been passionate about Britney spears like Chris Crocker, really passionate. When Brittany started posting memes and doing fashion shows in her house or dancing by herself, dancing with knights, the Internet was very quick to make fun of her, kind of like an Amy winehouse. Yeah, you know, and I mean I wish I had her house, but yeah it's hideous. Yeah, I mean those tiles. And then the other day there was like he's a DoD shit. If you haven't already seen this, I would urge everyone listening to look up doctor Phil's house. Have you ever seen Doctor Phil's house? No, it is the worst house you've had sex. It's so gross. You have to all show you after this. Really, yeah, I'll put them in the Instagram post the Doctor Phil House because it is exactly kind of what you think someone who likes hunting would have as a house. Really. Yeah, remember doctor Phil used to make his poor wife come out and watch everything. He I've always wanted to end all of my stand up shows with grabbing someone's hand and walking off. That's how you would you come to every show. I will come to every show just for that gag. I'm committed to a gag. It's so funny. But yeah, he used to grab his wife's hand and they used to walk off together. And every opisode doesn't know what time of day my radio shows on. I think he thinks I do breakfast radio. I was once in New Zealands for two days and he said, where are you? I said, I'm in Auckland, not even in the country, not even in the country. Yeah, that's what he goes. I'm listening. It's cool Brittany dancing and everything. So the knives you mentioned as well, we could beg It was the thing about Brittany is she was kind of not I mean, she was never really known for her vocals, and this is what she had over Christina, because obviously Christina is one of the great vocalists of all time, Brittany was really, for me, a great dancer, choreographing a lot of video clips like minutes before and then expecting the dancers to keep up with her. Yeah, that's why a lot of people are saying, Taate McCray is like giving Britain right. She's going back to that full on you know, stage Corey as opposed to Adele, who I love just belting out of Gune. Yeah, yeah, yeah, just sitting down, just belting out of June. Adele just side know yeah, you know how you know how singers like I've never been one of those people that like a singer speaks to me. Sure every single song Adele has written is about me, of course it is. Yeah, every song I love her so much. Yeah, I love her is just like your Layton Latin and beck Hewitt thing you love Kim classes of Lady Gaga. I love Adele. And then when I went to the Adele concert, you know she's she's quite funny. Yes, So she was doing this bit and she goes, oh, this is my one song that's you know, you can get up and dance because otherwise everything else is a bit sad, sad, so go on, get up and have a and there I am in the mosh pit with Julie Morrison. Same he's saying, and Wali Darli. Long story. So there we are dancing and everyone gets up for a dance, and then she points at me. I've got paroxide hair at the time, and she goes, you look like a dance, like a professional dancer. I'm like, no, I'm just really gay. I'm not a professionals really gay. But I shrieked and screened. That's so good. Of course, did you get up? And did you get up with her? In Dents fourced your way up? I wish I had the VIP, but I wanted to go to the Vegas Residency, but I'm too nervous. You canceled. Oh yeah, yeah, well, and Brittany also did it. So you said Brittany did four years four years in Vegas. No, she didn't complete for four years. People knew that there was some kind of conservativeship about her at this time, but for most of us, we didn't really understand what that was. So I kind of explained it as a guardianship. That's what a conservative sort of brought the word conservativeship into the Otherwise, I don't think people were really close. I'm still not super across it. No, it's really weird because you can have different types as financial, which is obviously they'd have control of the finances. It's physical, which is health and well being. There's general conservative ships which are more common. These cover kind of everything. So yeah, just kind of look after a person and there's limited ones. Now she was put under a temporary conservative ship, right, so it wasn't like a full conservative ship because mostly it's like someone who has Alzheimer's. But she had a public melt and she was only twenty six at the time, and so she was, you know, in current speak, Kim Kardashian, she was. She was huge, was the name. Yeah, more than anyone else exactly. And now you know, you see like all these old photos of Britney as well, and you kind of go, oh, she was with Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton. They were the three of them in the car. It's funny. And so this conservative ship usually there's an evaluation of the person, but Brittany never got that chance was about to ask, so her dad just went yep and fast tractor. She never well, she just said that there was no way that she could look after herself, and she wasn't of mental capacity to choose a lawyer, and I choose someone to assess her. Oh yeah yeah. But at this stage, I'm asking you a question you probably or possibly don't know the answer to. With a relationship was her relationship with her father? Good? No, no, no no, And she asked for when the only kind of thing that she kept saying during all of this was please don't let it be my dad. So she kept saying that, going, please don't let it be Jamie because he is just awful. How did well? There was so public speculation about her at the time, like you know, so this was when she shaved her head in two thousand and seven. Then she was attached to hair transplant in Turkey, and also like you know, she's the umbrella incident happening that was so iconic. And then there was like an incident where Kevin Federline, who was her partner at the time, kept taking back the kids and said she wasn't fit to take to look after the Fadoline who's one of her backup downs, that's right, And then she dated paparazzi. Yes, we're going to get into as well. When we get into that. Let me tell you, I'm gonna drop a little bombshell on you. I have stood next to Britney Spears for a minute waiting for a taxi. When did this happen. It happened in twenty seventeen when she was dating the paparai, the paparazziparazzo paparazzo. I was in La Yeah, I was at the Beverly Hills Hotel waiting for a taxi. Yeah. I said to my friend, that's it's Prittey bitch, pretty bitch. And I think this was pre bitch. She's not a gay icon. She not, so I don't give it too much. I'll tell you lots of people like although my friend Ashley was game, might think she's going on this is the whole issue with gay icons. And then Ashley didn't really see her. Then we both got in taxis at the same time and went down the sort of driveway of the hotel and pulled up the lights, looked over and she was like, oh my god, that's Brittany and she was with it. Was it ad Nan ad Nan? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, paparazzi leave, I think, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, so that was that's my that's amazing because she was and I think the thing about Brittany was she was really lonely. She was such a very what's the word, very accessible because she obviously needed help. She was vulnerable. Yes, and people followed her everywhere all the time, like paparazzi, pepparazzi. Yeah, and they followed her everywhere pepparazzi. Yes. And the problem is, and we've seen this happen in your life, fame is so cruel in that some people love to be around fame so much that they will indulge you and give you whatever you want and actually only poison you further. Yeah, just so they can have that tiny, tiny, you know, slice of fame, but it's only going to be temporary because you're making that person sicker exactly. And I think that was the thing about you know, when we look at someone like Amy wine House, so you look at like Wendy Williams, which would talk about at some point she so they were kind of like, oh, she's an alcoholic, she can't look after herself and everything, Wendy Williams. But then it was also like she then made a film, a documentary about herself, like with an executive producer and everything, and you're like, but what mental state can you be in where someone takes away all of your riots? And it's just a debate that I don't really understand. I mean, you know, I said before, I need a care. I don't understand a lot of things. I love a care. I think we need you and I need the same things. It's digs. It's going to be like a nanny. Nanny would be a great yeah, fran frand phone, Oh I get Poppins. Poppins. Poppin's over dresser. Yeah, you can have Dresser. I have Poppins perfect. Most of the time, when someone ends up in a conservative ship, it's because they can't look after themselves and need help. During the thirteen years, Brittany had a success thirteen years. Thirteen years, she had a successful Vegas run, four successful albums, two of which went platinum, and a full career that made over one hundred and thirty million dollars in that time. And do we know what she saw of that? Not much, Because the really interesting thing about you can't read about the foyer. So the really interesting thing about this is that her dad talk so Jamie took something like it's like two million dollars a year, and then he also had a spending allowance of eight thousand dollars per month and Brittany had like six thousand, so she had less than him. She also paid for all of the lawyers and legal force she did of her conservatorship when her dad chose the legal counsel who represented her. Around that time, I remember, I remember the comeback album. It might have been It's Britney Bitch, and that was a big deal. And she was doing like the VMAs and stuff like that. It wasn't like you know, music clips which you know, couldn't be edited and filmed a million times. She was doing live. She was doing live yeah, performances. Yeah, And the lip syncing became a huge thing. I remember at the time because I think at one point there was a video of the mic cutting out when she was doing a lot of all all the music stopped on it was pretty good. Oh that's right, And someone had the had the like the raw audio. Yeah, yeah, I think I had that saved on my phone for a while. It might have been a ringtime. The great Genevieve Morris. When I was doing a live podcast a while ago. Jen goes, why don't you just play one of the old podcasts because they're always really funny, and I was like, okay, she goes, just lip syncer, which I think is so funny, like imagine a stand up lip sincing you've recorded your best night ever, like it's yet to happen. Hey, not for you. You always call their material all the time. Oh my god, Well I did the other night which you came to, which was lovely the UK. But it's like the first time that I've recorded it because I'm like, and yeah, you have to get it right. In those you were really funny. I wouldn't be here now if I didn't think you're really funny so much, I would have like blanked you because you know I hate comedy. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeahh But you don't go and see a lot of comedy, do you at the moment, because you've seen so much. I see a lot. I don't find men funny. Yeah. I have never purchased a ticket to female comic. All my favorites Joan Kathy Griffin, you know Joan Rivers who called you a rock stuff fucking rockstar. I believe I worked with her the night before she went into the go she changed my life. Yeah, like that's my school of comedy. Yeah, but I see a lot of stand up yeah yeah, just through the job. I'd rather go see a musical. Well that's the thing as well. Like I always think that about comedians that don't like to go and watch comedy, because it's like a lot of the time, like if you're out at a comedy club, you're watching so much stand up yah, And so it's like, would you would you go out and watch your stand up if you were like if your touring all the time, you would never go out and just watch her. No. Holiday, I took like I took Jack to New York. Yeah, and I took him to the Cellar right, just because I think, yeah, yeah, just for the wine. There's no comedy. It was very serious, actually familiar. It was so dull. But I took him there just because it's you know, like great historic and I've played there before. But I'm not pooh poohing comedy. No. I also think there's you run into that trap of sometimes you start to absorb a bit of material and you write a bit and you don't realize that you've actually not stolen it. But you're just seeing a bit too much. Well, that was all the Robin Williams stuff back in the day. I remember that Robin Williams was accused of stealing people's material because he was at the back of the room all of the time, the absorbing stuff. The rumor about the Robin Williams light. Yeah, can you tell this? Yeah, so well I just heard the rumor. Yeah, if you were on stage and Robin Williams walked into the room, a lot of the big clubs knew, and then like a specific light in the rig that a comic could see because we can normally see like a light for time and whatnot. Pay attention to those things. Car, ask Carl, I have a sticky feet. That's so funny. I have the stickiest defeat and I'm always like I can't remember any of my material, and then I do, like twenty minutes in a four minute spot. Yeah, a light would come on being like Robin's in. Isn't that wild? Do you know? I worked with Joan Rivers the night Robin Williams died and she was very upset offstin Yeah yeah, yeah, on stage a professional and she was, oh, I'm so sad. I'm so sad. My dearest friend Robin Williams past today, and you know, of course, of course the first thing I did, The first thing I did was I I called his manager and I said, who's got his gigs? Brilliant? Who's gigs? I have to drink her voices? So were you working in that club where she went every single the Lori Beachman Theater. Yeah, it's in the documentary where she shows off her There's like a stool that she shows off. It's like the I was with her the dare I'm a legend and this is where the fuck? It's such a great theater. I was with her the day the Oscar nom so best doco came out, and not only should that have been incredible one And she would very rarely show emotion, not because she didn't have any She had heaps, but she was a professional. And I remember the nums came out and we were all kind of excited. She looked down for maybe two seconds, looked up and went, okay, right, where are we up to now? Because her days would be packed from all morning. But yeah, the Lori Beachman Theater was iconic, and she taught me this trick. Every night she would sit backstage because she'd do like two hours. Yeah yeah, yeah, and she'd get black cardboard and a white marker and write her like little dot points like Nicole Kidman and and she'd write her dot points like that because you can't see the black cardboard. Oh that's clever. That's such a great break. Of course she did that. Yeah, there is. There's an argument for conservativeship, which is really interesting. It's like, you know a lot about mental health. Like at the time, she never a lot of money left, her brand had been damaged, while like not a lot of money, a lot of money. And I think that's a lot to do with Kevin as well, because was he managing her. He was, Yeah, I think there was some sort of management going on as well. How weird, I'm managing you. And also I'll be in the chorus line behind you. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, so strange. He's just had a book come out, oh yes, yeah, and so as a sister as well, a very public divorce, and she was really struggling with her mental health. After all this time, she was back on top and had generated a lot of money. Yeah, and she had kind of I don't know, she was back on top and didn't have the awful people that she did kind of surrounding her before. But she kind of like she wasn't really close to her dad anymore. She wasn't really close, yeah, to her mum at that stage. So so at this time, the Instagram was kind of the way that fans reached out to her and she kind of connected with her fans. We're back talking twenty Yeah, this is two thousand and seven. Oh no, sorry, this is like later. This is like two thousand and seventeen would kind of be the year this kind of happened. So the Instagram was the way that she kind of do a wellness check on Brittany, and a lot of people felt like they were her friend. In a week we talk about her Instagram on my radio show maybe three days a week, really, yeah, because it's just it's so fascinating, like the fascinating the video she puts up. There's a lot of dancing and everything and the nine. But it's definitely her. It's definitely her, which a lot of people have said, like that there was a look alike or something or well, no, it's but it's definitely her, Like operating posting it, yes, yeah, which is why she started posting clues and everything as well. There was something that was there was the Yellow Show, and there was something like like a purple love heart at some point. Yeah, there was a purple love heart. And there was also a kind of a me about shopping or something at the time, and she was like, I literally cannot go shopping by myself. There was something like that, I mean, all that would And also that was in the height of like when she was famous. Yeah, in you know, like the late nineties into the noughties. That's when there were kind of no rules around what about privacy and what paparazzi could have access to. There's a lot more legislation around that now and probably a lot more to still to come unless as General's got something to do with it. And it was kind of a free for all. You could kind of do anything to these people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The meme was actually the one I'm thinking of is let me shop and no one gets hurt, which she started posting like these soccom memes like I was just a title soccomum and I loved it for her and the captain said, story of my life literally, so what did this mean? Was she being literal or was she being more cryptic. In two thousand and seven, Brittany had a very public meltdown, so you kind of know the image already whip about this when she had the shed started. She wanted to fight the paparazzi. She had like the the umbrella it's outside like a service station. Yeah yeah, and she got really she had the shaved head and everything. Yeah. So yeah, so she kind of just started to attack the paparazzi for the first time. And you kind of have to remember how famous she was, like she didn't really have many close friends. She kind of had had enough at this point, and she would have been like the top, like the top three most famous people in the world are the huge. She was huge, Yeah, and Christina you'd have thrown you take that your biggest family. Yeah. He's like riding like these huge balads like beautiful and there's Britney singing toxic like so yeah, just having the best time. When she was a school girl as well, what was that one one more time? One more time was baby? One more time was the first one, and then it was sometimes run sometimes hard, I think I don't cry and what was the other one the woman, I'm not a girl all that My favorite was every time. That's Brittany was a young mother of two under four, and she was in crisis mode. That January, she was placed in two urgent psychiatric centers. While she was still hospitalized, her parents and business manager fast tracked a temporary conservatorship while she's like, while she's like drugged out of her mind, and that's growth. They fast tracked it, which Brittany didn't find out about until it was all too late. She didn't go to she didn't get to have her say in fighting it. That October, the temporary conservativeship was made permanent. Now I'm getting with the emotional and it's just sad. It's sad, and a judge appointed her father, Jamie Spears, as co conservator along with her lawyer. That's why isn't that crazy? Like I mentioned before, her father was put in charge of her against her will and said that her business manager Sam was like he couldn't look after her and he was actually making her worse, like he was like letting her take drugs and everything. Britney's lawyer was working more for her father than her. Her father wanted over four hundred thousand dollars a year as a wage, and that went up over time. Chicky bugger, You're allowed to take a salary, but you're not meant to be using their money for your own personal gain. That's why conservatives Ship was like, I've heard it all now. In twenty eighteen, Britney's co conservative lawyer I spoke about Andrew Wallatt was going to ask the judge for a raise. He wanted four hundred and twenty six thousand dollars per year. And I'm sure Brittany's not his only client. Oh god not so he was like, I think just a lawyer that worked on that case, but also on media. Oh my god, wallet's wallet would be wallet's huge. So what the hell was going on, Joel? Is the question your not meant to be acting for your own personal gain? So why were people making so much money out of Britney spears? If you hadn't been convinced before, you will now free Britney. It was up to the Internet to do their best for sleuths to kind of sept Britney free. Brittany bretnaneyte characters working on what sted online conspiracy became a widespread phenomenon. In twenty nineteen, Britney stopped her Vegas residency and put her next album on hold. News broke that she had voluntarily checked herself into a hospital. Brittany had been in the hospital for months against her will. It was later stated I was going to say, yeah, Jamie, voluntarily, there's no voluntarily in the arm. Brittany herself began to respond to the Free Britney movement, responding in a way that to say her family were under a lot of stress, but she'd be back. So they filmed this in the hospital, and it's like gross because it's like I think they made her do it. Of course, yeah, going I'm fine, I'm fine, kind of like a hostage video where you're going, I'm fine, I'm fine. What is she going to do? She's at no lower like you can't get to a lower point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also gross and unfair. It's so gross, And at that point she was kind of like going, you know, don't read it. Don't don't believe everything you read or or hear, because I don't. I don't dispute that that there's she had a lot of issues going on, but this the way this is handled. Yeah, it's awful. They go and like spend two years in a small town in Italy with aways, you know, just with a ton of staff. Yeah yeah, just relax, lax, relax. I've been trying to also work on fair di income. I said it can now fifteen days on the trot on air, on on radio, just forcing it in, just somewhere the co haven't noticed. No, great, they're gonna put me up, saying you're like Karl Stefanovic who wore the same suit for over a year on TV and no one noticed, and everyone was like ripping his co host Tom for being like, you know, for wearing what the same dress twice or something. He had the same suit, So you're kind of like that. So fair income, you know, everything for me on my radio show when I'm not on Carl Stefanovic of course, my understand. Yeah, that's so funny. My understudy a beautiful understudy. So, like I said at the top of the episode, I wanted to jump in and let you know a few facts about what a conservative ship actually is.
Speaker 2: Saw.
Speaker 1: A conservative ship, in basic terms, is when someone has a legal right to make decisions on behalf of someone else. Sometimes this is also referred to as a guardian ship. These decisions can be personal, economic, and legal decision making power is ceded to others. I kind of talked about the kinds of conservator ships that are out there, But I also want to talk about the background of Britney Spears, because I'd feel like it would do a disservice to her story and what happened to her if I didn't kind of give an overview of Britney Spears. So, Britney Spears was the world's pop princess and household name around the world. She began in the industry at the age of just eight years old after her mum realized she could sing beautiful moment. My mum never realized that. For me, she did realize I could tap tap dance nothing else this, you know, still still waiting for her to let me know if I have any other talent. They both moved to New York to try and hit the big time, some of course talking about Britney and a mum, not myself and my mother. Brittany was a finalist on a TV show called Search, an eighties and ninety version of American Idol. At age eleven, she became the youngest member of the Mickey Mouse Club with co stars Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake. I've written Jason Timberlake, which I feel is fun. I don't know why. I'm just not a Justin Timberlake fan. At the age of just fifteen, she had a record deal with Jive Records. Just one year after her first single, Baby One More Time, hit the world stage and was number one in over twenty countries. She became a global sensation. It sold over ten million copies, and Rolling Stone named it the greatest debut single of all time. I know about you, but I always get confused about Rolling Stone and the Rolling Stones. I always want to say Rolling Stones Magazine. I think that's wrong. Georgia will come at me, and I know that. Brittany was the best selling teen artist and best selling female artist of the two thousands decade. She earned the name the Princess of Pop. In a five year span nineteen ninety eight to two thousand and three, she made around seventy three million dollars same She was also the youngest music artist in history to earn a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Brittany became one of the ten most photographed people in history, along with Princess Diana, Marilyn Munroe, and Michael Jackson. So that a lot of you know, paparazzi constantly following our good friend Brittany at the time, and it was just awful, Like I imagine I wasn't there, but I mean, it would have just been awful for her, just going places, not feeling close to any one really at the time, not having many friends, especially in the industry, and kind of feeling like people were letting her down time and time again. There were constant conflicts at home between her parents, Lynn and Jamie Spears. Jamie was an alcoholic, there were reports of infidelity, and he was both verbally and physically abusive, Allegedly in two thousand and four, he entered rehab upon Britney's urging and she paid for it. In nineteen seventy six, only two weeks after divorcing his first wife, Jamie married Lynn Bridges. Lynn filed for divorce just a few years after their few years of marriage and a temporary restraining order, fearing his temper would be a problem if he was under the influence, but they ended up reconciling, reconciling, reconciling, and got together again, having Britney just shortly after. Brittany was born in nineteen eighty one in Mississippi, alongside her older brother Brian and little sister Jamie Lynn. Britney's mum was definitely a driving force behind her career. She felt guilty about their family's financial situation. Yeah, I don't know why I said it like that, Ahuvi s Bear's family filed for bankruptcy in nineteen ninety eight. They had their car repossessed. That same year, Baby One More Time was released. Her father, Jamie, had little to no contact with her during her childhood. She suggested that she was always afraid of him and cited her parents divorcing in two thousand and two as the best thing that happened to their family. Britney urged her to divorce her father, so Lynn sorry. She she urged Lynn to divorce her father. There have been reports the only thing the Record Labels ever heard from Jamie was Britney is going to be rich, and she's going to buy me a boat. In early two thousand and four, Brittany married her childhood friend Jason Alexander in Las Vegas. Now, I will say at this point that Jason Alexander was a very different person to the actor Jason Alexander who played George Costanza in Seinfeld. Fifty Five hours later, the marriage was annulled as Britney said lacked the understanding of her actions. Then Brittany married Kevin Federline, who was her backup dancer. He left his then eight month pregnant fiance. Brittany proposed to Kevin on a plane at the same time his fiance gave birth to his second child. I hope that Brittany proposed to Kevin when they weren't doing drink service, because I imagine that would be a bad proposal, and also someone is wanting their diet coke. So Brittany and Kevin had two children together, Sean Preston in two thousand and five and Jaden James in two thousand and six. Brittany filed for divorce after that around two thousand and six. Her reasoning was that she had been left alone for three weeks to look after the kids. As Kafed and I hate it that he's called Kayfed got on a private jet to party with his friends Kevin had the reputation of a party boy, and Brittany was now single. She was constantly hounded by the paparazzi. She could not walk to her car alone without being snapped. She couldn't even fill up her car with petrol. She was trying to pump gas, pulled in the wrong way and tried to reach the pump around the car. Paparazzi by the name of Adnan Ghalib offered to help her, and she accepted the offer. Brittany started asking about ad Nan when she saw paparazzi. After that, eventually they started dating. He too started to be hounded by paparazzi. I was but say paparazzi by paparazzi, are hounded by paparazzi tastes of his own goddamn medicine. By two thousand and seven, Britney's ongoing divorce was really taking a toll. The kids were being used as pawns. A chess term, I'm sure I need to tell you that a chess term. He seemed upset. And this is what happens when George's way. I'm starting to laugh about a chess term. He seemed upset about how much the paparazzi would be following her with the kids in the car. Then in two thousand and seven, Brittany was also strange from her parents after she thought they would try and swoop in and take everything. There's an overview of Brittany, but you can see kind of the trawl. For Britney, she was one of the most famous people in the world, as Joel has put it, not a gay icon, but one of the most famous people in the world. And this was happening to her. She could not walk to the car, she couldn't do things like just hang out with people, and I kind of feel like this made her feel more and more isolated, and she could only trust the close circle around her, and people would come in that kind of always had a different interest in Brittany, which seemed to sadly be monetary. After this time, Sam Lufty endoed her life. He claimed to be Britney's former manager, but Britney described him only as a sometimes friend as a cookie monster. Later said it's a sometimes food, the goddamn cookies, Sorry, Georgia. They met at a bah, chatted and became friends. She later called him and asked him for help with something. It's very unclear at this point what kind of help she needed from Sea Lufty, So it's kind of wild to me that, yeah, she just kind of made a friend at a bar and needed help, kind of thought he was genuine from what it seems, and then he became a big part of her life. Brittany didn't seem to have many close friends at the time. She was pictured early on with Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton, but her friendships didn't seem to stand the test of time. Sam Lufty encouraged her to spend more time with her family, but Britney never seemed to want them around. Paparazzi photographs could sell for a lot of money. The right photo of Brittany at the time could sell for upwards of one hundred thousand dollars. A twenty four to seven news cycle surrounded Britney all the time. A lot of news would be about her physical appearance and speculating that she was an unfit mother and kind of just picked apart her relationships. Paparazzi she would continually follow her everywhere, chasing her through red lights as she tried to escape. When she would step out of a car. Paparazzi would literally be in the gutter and they would take upskirting photos of her. When news outlets would then mock her quote unquote sluttiness, they would imply that their own photos were a reflection of her character and that suddenly she was a bad role model for being too sexual. In two thousand and two, a politician stated, really, if I had an opportunity to shoot Britney Spears, I think I would. She said this at a domestic violence rally and was met with applause. She later apologized for that statement, but I don't feel like you can redact that. I feel like you are a pos piece of shit forever. On January first, two thousand and eight, when police were called to Britney's home, she was kind of refusing at that point to give the kids back to Kevin. At the designated court appointed time, she had locked herself inside. She was taken away in an ambulance for emotional distress and rumors of substance abuse. The paparazzi chased the ambulance, hanging on to the back to get a glimpse of her. A judge then made the decision to remove all custodial rights, even before receiving any evaluation results. First responders and witnesses said that she was not endagering her children, but because of all the negative press surrounding her, it seemed as though she did not have a choice in looking after her kids. She was taken back to hospital on the thirty first of January. On February first, Jamie Spears fast tracked the Conservative Ship. Californian law specifies that conservatives be personally presented with papers within five days notice before the Conservative Ship takes effect, but this can be waived if the judge rules the person could suffer immediate or substantial harm. The family would name sam Lufty as a destabilizing force in Britney's life and the reason why the five day notification should be waived. They were claiming that sam Lufty was in fact crushing up drugs in Britney's drinks. He denied this and call and of course there was no evidence to support this, but somehow it was granted. Sam Lufty asked how he could do this in front of the world, and Britney never called for help. I don't know it. It kind of seems like they were just trying to fast track the Conservative ship in any way that they could. The court document providing Jamie Spears with full control was already signed and dated for January thirty first, so before he even applied for the Conservative ship, he had all of the paperwork ready to go and her address listed as the hospital. While Lynn and Jamie weren't together as a couple, they acted together in deciding that this was the best for Brittany. At the time, there were in fact two Conservative ships, one for the estate managed which managed her financial affairs, run by her father and Andrew Wallatt, and the other was a personal Conservative ship that controlled every aspect of her personal life, which was exclusively managed by her father. He could kind of control what she could and could not do. Jamie promised that he would help gain custody of her kids. He would be her temporary conservator, but only a few weeks after he filed for the Conservativeship to be made permanent, so only gave her a couple of weeks before he filed for a permanent conservativeship. A permanent Conservative ship is meant to be the last resort. Is a legal measure primarily reserved for elderly people. Who have lost cognitive function and can't manage their finances or their daily activities activities, activitis, activities. The typical age is between their late seventies think about seventy six years old to early eighties. A power of attorney would seem to make more sense in this case, someone who hands their finances over to someone else until they are ready to take full control. But Jamie requested a full conservative ship for the rest of Britney's life. In twenty eighteen, Jamie Spears had a restraining order place against him from Britney's from Brittany because of her boys. He had physically attacked, breaking down a door to get to her children. Kevin Federline requested a restraining order because he was afraid of Jamie's temper. Regardless of this, no one took the abuse allegations seriously, despite the fact Brittany wasn't even there when Jamie attacked the kids. Britney had her custody reduced to only ten percent while Kevin had ninety percent. That equals to one hundred percent. That's boy math. Britney texted Ardnaan, who hatched a plan to get in touch with a lawyer while she was at a burger restaurant with one of her dad's appointed bodyguards. She slipped away and quickly jumped into her car. She met up with Adnan and they met attorney Adam streisand were chased by paparazzi on the way. There seventy vehicles, so imagine that seventy vehicles and helicopters followed Britney spears just to catch a glimpse of her. Adam streisand agreed to represent Britney, but the judge said that he had a report that stated that Britney didn't have the capacity to retain her own counsel. He dismissed it. Adam Streisan was asked to leave the courtroom. Britney was again denied. There was a box checked on the original forms that stated that Brittany had a form of dementia and was not competent to obtain her own counsel. Every single document after thirteen years reported her presence in the court as not mandatory or able, but unwilling to attend. According to my research, there was no medical evaluation that she ever had dementia. The doctor who was said to have checked the box for de mentia claimed later to have never met Britney Spears. In two thousand and eight, another lawyer Brittany was hoping to obtain submitted the following information to the court quote, mister Spears has now moved into her house and taken control of her financial assets as well as her physical custody or without the benefit of a hearing where Britney Spears could be present. I've said it before and I'll say it again. How god damn insane is this. Brittany was again denied the use of communication with the outside world, and she was basically confined. Ard Nann openly talked about he would have to return Brittany anytime they were out together or Jamie would claim that Britney had been kidnapped. Jamie at the time had also filed a restraining order against Sam Lufty after the lawyer was dismissed. So this was a lawyer that she tried to hire before a court appointed lawyer was Sam Ingham. He was Jamie and Britney's attorney, but she was covering his annual salary of five hundred and twenty thousand dollars. In twenty nineteen, Britney's living expenses were four hundred and thirty eight thousand, her lawyer was earning more than her. Oh my god, her magistrate, I implore you. Britney tried again and again, secretly meeting journalists or using bernafhones to try and obtain her own legal counsel, but these were all turned down. In two thousand and nine, Ardnam was still trying to get Britney to hire a lawyer. A journalist from Rolling Stone again just Rolling Stone was also trying to help her. Brittany met secretly in a hotel bathroom to sign documents to get herself another lawyer, but sam Ingham said she was fine and it probably wasn't her signature anyway, so threw it out. This is exhausting. She asked one attorney to pretend he was a plumber so that he could access the house and she could have a secret meeting with her father knowing. I kind of love to see that in a film. That moment incredible. Her family stated that in thirteen years Britney never petitioned the decision, but court documents proved otherwise that in fact, she was constantly pleading to set herself free. It's is wild that it was taken off her in the first place. Now, a conservati is usually not able to work. At this time, Brittany was going on a major world to She was embarking on the biggest worldwide tour of her career, eighteen songs with brand new choreography, ninety seven shows across three continents. This tour started less than a year after she was deemed not fit to choose her own legal counsel, and during the tour generated over one hundred and thirty million dollars. Between nineteen ninety nine and twenty eighteen, Britney headline ten tours, earning over five hundred and seventy million dollars, in addition to a record breaking Las Vegas residency with two hundred and forty eight shows earning over one hundred million dollars. But she did not see the bulk of that money. Jamie paid himself sixteen thousand dollars per month as an allowance, paying her eight thousand dollars per month. In addition, he would also take a salary of two million dollars, as well as being a Britney's manager agent, paying tax touring costs all of that. So sorry, What I meant by that is that you know you'd also account for He always said he wasn't Britney's manager, but Britney's manager would earn some on that, the agent, marketing, merchant, all of that sort of stuff that was a lot of money was being taken from all different angles. Jamie controlled what Brittney ate and drank, and made her go on very strict diets. Jamie became more and more religious as time went on, donating ten percent of his salary to a church. Jamie tried to cure her with religion and would not let her read anything that wasn't strictly Christian material. Brittany was forced to have a uid and her conservative refused to have it removed. There is so much, and the list goes on and on. I did such a deep dive. There is so much information in here. It made my head spin. In twenty nineteen, Brittany dropped out of a Vegas tour before it started, citing health concerns. There were lots of people now wondering where Britney was. There was a missing poster for Britney spread around. The movement for Free Britney grew bigger and bigger. People began publicly stating that Britney needed to be freed. Media outlets began to really look into conservatorship, including a documentary Framing Britney. It was I think it was called Framing Britney Spears, so I haven't written that there, but you know what I'm talking about. It was time to free Britney. On June thirtieth, two thousand and one, one week after Brittany made a public plea to the court, she was denied to have her father removed as a conservator. The public pressure was only intensifying. They weren't going to let it go this time around. The pressure was so great at the time that Senatorizabeth Warren and the ACLA got involved. The ACLA is the American Clinical and Laboratory Association. On July sixth, Britney's attorney, Sam Ingham resigned. Funny that Brittany was then able to finally, finally, thirteen years later, hire her own attorney, a man by the name of Matthew Rosengart, who immediately filed for the removal of Jamie Spears. Fucking Jamie Spears. Jamie requested from her estate more than one million dollars in legal fees and related media fees, Matthew flatly refused. On September seventh, Jamie requested to be removed as a conservator and that it should be altogether terminated. He could see the writing on the wall and it wasn't looking good for Jamie Spears. I was finally dissolved without Brittany having to undergo any evaluation. In fact, she maybe didn't need to be under a conservativeship the entire time. Her boyfriend at the time proposed straight away. Brittany later said that her mother was the one who came up with the idea in the first place, and she's just as bad as her dad, but presented herself as a saint. She called like a Bible, a bible carrying saint. I think is what it was, Brittany said. Linn wrote a book about Brittany embarking on a media to her. Britney's sister also released a book, and Britney sent a cease and assist letter. The family were the driving force in taking away Britney's rights. Now, I said that was a brief overview. That's a bit of an overview. And now we're going to go back to my conversation with Joel to date in twenty twenty one, the world heard for the first time that a conservativeship was coercive and abusive. That's when we made she made this speech. Yes, the conservativeship wasn't just about Britney, it was more on people's rights in general. If this could happen to a huge celebrity, this could happen to anyone. If Brittany couldn't speak up and be heard, then who could. TikTokers in twenty twenty three decided to live stream them calling the police and sent out a well loved It's so much fun. They love tiktoks. You know she like this for you go, this could happen to anyone. Yeah, all you hear stories about you know that you know someone was kept in her basement for twenty years. I always goh god, could that be happening within one hundred mean as me? Oh my god? Yeah, any time, just stuff you don't know about. And this was a wild thing that Britney kind of went, this is really disrespectful for you to be doing welfare checks on me now, after everything I've been through. She said, I love and ad all my fans, but this time things went a little too far and my privacy was invaded during this time in my life. I truly hope the public and my fans, who I truly care so much about, can respect my privacy moving forward. The fans can to be a real double edged sword. Yeah absolutely, and also like doing too much like she's in Christlis mode again they wanted her to be. I think they, I think the fandom, I think they're called orientators Ariana Grande's I think getting a bit of that really. Oh, just the fans are going a little bit too far with what they're doing. Well, you saw that that person Singapore. Yeah, yeah, he's a serial pest in Sydney. That was in Singapore and he's from Sydney, Australia. Okay. Yeah, but also if you remember what Ariana went through in Manchester, not like not the right person I've met her, ChIL was and delights. I know, people have a lot to say about Aarona Grande and Cincury For you're a fan, they're really nice, great. I love that there are fans that have, of course still watching the Free Britney movement. They still believe that she's in trouble and still needs help. Other conspiracy theories now include fans speaking up, saying that maybe her Instagram is AI generated, but she's been replaced with a body double, that somehow she's been captured and he's still under a conservatorship. She did thank her fans directly for helping her. She needs to continue to heal and find her place again in the world. But he recently deleted her Instagram for a short period of time, only a short period of time. I didn't cover that. But October twenty second, she was seen at a Mexican restaurant unsteady on her feet and then caught on video driving dangerously. This isn't the video or the post she put up recently where she was on a date, went to the bathroom, posted like slagged off the guy she was on a date with. Like imagine if he was sitting there at dinner and saw that pop part she's been gone for a while, because she's taking photos of herself and also writing you know one of her you know ted talk your captions, and then he sees that pop up being like, Oh'm a real shit day, I'm a real shit date. Oh God, I'm having the worst time tonight. It's like like that's accidentally sending the wrong text brutal. The manager of the restaurant said that Britney was not intoxicated. In fact, she didn't order any alcohol with her casida. I love that he promoted. Why she never margarita? She have a magrada just alone. I wouldn't know how to eat a casida without a margarita. No, it's not possible. It's not possible. Salt and no salt. I like salt. Oh you don't like salt, not even a spicy salt. I don't like a spicy margarita. I'm a Tommy's Margarita girl. You know what, that's fun. I work with a lot of people from Sydney. The restaurant staff tried to stop her from driving, but she drove away anyway, driving over a double line and making a really fast U turn. Alcohol limit is a lot higher in America, Yes it is, so you can actually drive under the influence, like to a certain point. Can't you more much more, much more than Australia. Yeah. Britney claimed that she was not out and in fact it was a Britney lookalike. So this is what she said. Since not her, the best and kindest thing we can do for Britney. Now, in the words of the person once known as Chris Crocker, leave her alone. I agree. What do you think after after hearing that? Do you like you know there is a lot in there. There's a lot of facts in there. There's a lot in it. Look, I first of all, I just Lord knows what is happening in the Spears world, and I mean the private Spears world. Yeah, it's evident that you know she's something's not right. And I don't mean that in a sassy, rude way. She has experienced the heights of fandom that like few people. Yes, she was, you know Taylor Swift, Beatles, Michael Jackson, like huge, Yeah, Obama, you know like that, like that genuine level every single planets Yeah, oh my god, don't even Yeah, everything I can sell a ticket, that level of fame, that where every single person on planet Earth knows who you are, where you are these days, you know, they can try private jets and movements and and you know, Taylor spoof maybe partly to blame things are easter eggs. Oh my god, I don't have the time. I love Lady Gaga so much. I have If you if there's an easter egg in any of her albums. I've missed every single one. Yeah, because he's just listening as a true monster. Is it off? Little monster? Yeah, you just called me a monster like I'm Jeffrey Darma. Jesus please, I'm not a monster. I'm Frankenstein's monster. The correct terminology. Thank you. Yeah, yeah, you're a little monster. I always I always call people out when they're like, oh, you look like Frank he made the monster I did in Year twelve English. Alak. I just want the best of Brittany. I don't know what the answer is. Yeah, yeah, because also you would know as a performer, she has that inch that she wants to scratch. She wants to get back out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm assuming she's gone. She's going to want to keep performing. But I think she needs to get a nice little villa in Italy, get some great stuff who don't know who she is, which that's going to be tricky, but you know, the Italians, I don't. I don't get engaged there. And I told the waiter and he went cool in Italian loser. I'd love to see a comeback. Yeah, absolutely, it'd be huge if she if she made a comeback now, if we did it now, I'd be well, if she did it right now, I'd be nervous. I want to know that she's doing a comeback, she's gonna be she's doing, you know, a two hundred date world tour. She's going to be on fire every single one of those dates. She's going to be well taken care of. And she's like, oh my god, I can't believe I'm saying this about Britney Spears. Just she's happy. She's happy. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, And there's been so many clues and everything from internet sleuths over the time, and it's so good that like the Dancing with Nine video and stuff like, you know, there's been so many things where it was like she might have been calling for help that whole time, but you also don't know because she's kind of gone out and said, yes, I've been, I've been I've been depressed, I've been super sad whatever she was saying at that time. But she's also probably got no one to run this by, no so no one to go. Because sometimes I think I'm gonna put out like like a little sort of sassy message that's going to combat something else, and then I'll run it by a manager or something, and they'll point out all the flaws and that they go, don't don't do that. That's what I'm at it. I don't think she has she's doing. She's a she's a sole trader at the moment, soul trader, not a road trader. Jesus, save a vowel for someone else. But ah, yeah, it's it's gonna, it's gonna happen. Free Brittany's gonna come back. And yeah, because we would like to be hit baby one more time, more time, and I I wanted to tell you this story today because we're gonna have a little bit of a break from the grizzly crimes. The murder. It is a grizzly crime in its own right, but it is so so sad. And you know what, I think we need a break. Now. You need to go to your job right now. You want to work? Yeah, you're gonna go to work. You working an office, just a regular office, my s white passes? Do you really? I have swipe passes and you've got your beautiful it's a lab boob. I mentioned that's a real bag, but that's real boocie got back. I treat it like ship. But I believe if you own designer, we're into the ground. I mentioned once on air that I la boo boos once, yeah, and then my co host bought me a La Boo boo for my birthday, so we'll digs try to attack it. When you did walk in, he thought it was a fun little thing forlabooboos. But what I love to do is when I'm flying up you know, the pointy end of the plane, people already give me like a look up and down, like what's he doing here? Because I don't dress, you know, I'm not in a suit normally in like like like gym gear or trackies, and they're like, what's he doing in here already? So then I love to walk past them like whack him in the face of my other boo boo. Great, just to really rubbing in. Thank you, job, thank you, it's Brittany bitch. Hey, everybody, thank you so much for listening to this week's episode without g I just thought it'd be a nice way this week too. We've had some very heavy episodes about murder, and I thought, let's do a true crime episode that is all about the Free Britney movement, and that's why I wanted to make it a regular episode because it is wild that this existed and so many people witnessed it and saw it all unfolding. Thank you, as always for your continued support. We'll be back with the mail bag next week, so please, as always, right into me Sammy at just Another Company dot com dot au. You can also leave us a voicemail. The website is called speak Pipe. Of the links are in the show notes. Leave a five star rating, leave a five star review, Share this podcast with a friend. If you share it with a friend, it will literally double the numbers. And the more you support the podcast, the more we will be able to do. It's just G and I are doing this podcast and our lovely producer Ree So we would love to grow and grow and grow, and we need your help to do that. Thank you as always to Oliver Clark for doing the theme music, and TAM's and Hayes for doing the art work. My Paudry Peeve this week aka pet Peeve. Pauldry Peeve is that G Love is not here. She is sick, and my pet Peeve is that G is sick. I don't like it when she's sick. She'll be back next week, cannot wait. Thank you to Joel Crazy. We're back very very soon. You'll really enjoy the Thursday treat this week. It is absolutely amazing. See you then, frimendigs Bye,