Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Mason Cock Show. Now we've got an exciting one. I know we've kind of moved a bit of the scheduling around. Now we're back to the interview slash catch up sections every single week, and this week is the catch up. Now we've got plenty to cover. Last week, obviously, my brother was on. I was really nervous. He had some great stories talked about AFL getting into the league. We thought it was not even a real thing, and all this kind of stuff, and it was awesome' talking about guns, religion, politics, We covered everything with a brother about in America and everything else. It was an awesome and awesome episodes. If you haven't heard it yet, go back listen to that one. That was a good one. But as always, we're going to start with the seven platforms. We've got Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Apple and Spotify. Foll us on all those like comment everything else and without further Actually, you know, I might actually release this before we introduce obviously the great man that does this with me. But next week we've got a guy that's hilarious when we share some hilarious stories, Dave Thornton. That man is seriously one of the funniest men I've ever met my life. So I have a look for that subscribe so you can get the link, sorry, get the subscription. I thing that pops up the notification to say that it's come out. So it's gonna be a good one. It's gonna be a good one, I promise. But without further ado, I will introduce the man that is here with me, Brandon Cox.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome to me.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to you, man, welcome back to you.
Speaker 2: It's been a lot, yeah, years since before the Grand Final. And then yeah, the Nolan episode was genuinely probably my favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did like.
Speaker 2: The Razor Ray episode, but Nolan was. It was so refreshing to hear your story from a different perspective and you just really get a sense of like you two just really made it up as like no one had any idea. You're essentially taking the piss out of Australia just coming over here being like like you pulled the wall over our eyes and just like going club the club, and yeah, it was great and yeah, especially Nolan putting on his like agent's hat full Jerry McGuire, Yeah, it was. It's a really good episode. So if you have, if you decided to skip that for whatever because I wasn't on it, you go back and listen to that one because it was. Yeah, it's a banger.
Speaker 1: It's actually one favorites. Obviously I'm bit biased being family, but I think there's some absolute golden nuggets in that, like people haven't heard before.
Speaker 3: It's quite funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was it? My favorite part that's towards the end is you know, sneaking out in your loud or.
Speaker 1: The sixty one Falcon Ranch hair. I'll just oh falcon Red. That thing was unreal.
Speaker 2: Rolling it down the hill. Yeah, there's some good ones in there. You smashing the antique photo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like one hundred Yeah, one hundred year old photo out of the glass broke, and let's just say we were putting the timeout corner for a decent chunk after that.
Speaker 2: There's some classics in there. So if you haven't checked it out, go back and checked that one out, because yeah, it's genuinely one of my favorites. I reckon, I love that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I'll start this off man, because before we recorded this, you came out of the house and nug boots man I'm just kind of wondering what's the deal with that, Like, are we allowed to now leave the house and ugboots?
Speaker 3: Is that appropriate?
Speaker 1: Like, I know, summer is almost towards the end now, like sorry, winters almost the end now we're almost into summer, Like, is ugboots still appropriate?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: It's actually yeah, because I'm wearing a jumper, shorts and ugboots, So it's a real confusing setup.
Speaker 1: It's a real Melbourne So if you're wearing sunglasses and a beanie, then I think you'd be full Melbourne kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I haven't done my washing in like a week and a half, so the shirt's like old and stinky. It's I'm in terrible areas and it's not I'm not even hungover. I'm just I'm thirty. I don't really give a shit, Like, yeah, I thought it halfway to the cafe to go get coffee and a toasty Were you in public? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow, okay local too? Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think about it sometimes, like is it is it appropriate? Can you leave the house in ugboots? I feel like I don't know, I've seen it. There's a high population of teenage kids around this area, so and they're always wearing you know, baggy trackies, baggy jumpers, hoodies, like super baggy clothes and ug boots and stuff. And I'm like, maybe it's in in America.
Speaker 1: Man, if you walk out of nug boots like you were crucified, it's not appropriate outside the house.
Speaker 2: I remember I wore a beanie on an episode and some lady from America had a crack at me. It was like, what are you wearing like a whatever, a winter hat inside, Like don't you have a heater or something.
Speaker 1: I was like, she probably doesn't realize that the season's are opposite. She's probably sitting there in summer, gone it is forty degrees outside.
Speaker 3: Why is he wearing a beanie at the moment.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, here, it's like fashion, not like saying that I'm fashionable, but well, like it was an active choice. I wasn't wearing it because there was a blizzard outside. It was like, it can't be stuffed doing my hair. I wear a beanie, But I don't know. People are hard to please, But yeah, can you wear ugboots outside?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: You can't, that's the answer. That's my answer.
Speaker 2: What I have ug boots?
Speaker 1: I have can you imagine those things coming to my size. You'd kill like ten sheep just really all fit. You know the amount of wool inside of them. True, you know I actually shave tin sheep.
Speaker 3: You don't actually kill them back to like I believe about like cows Hods states, yeah, oh, it just gets ruthless. But we'll get into the first man. We're going to do sport.
Speaker 1: Obviously, everyone loves the sport on this side of it, and I want to go in through some stuff because the AFL season is somewhat dying. We'll finish it with AFL at the end of this, but I want to go through some so awkward kind of things that happen in sport and things that really is one thing happening recently.
Speaker 3: I really got my head. Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not the greatest golfer in the world. Okay, I'm happy to admit that, but I've been giving some freebies over the years, so I have some like new gear, and I'm one of those people that walks out on the like the trail on the course, and I got all the gear.
Speaker 3: No idea is what everyone says. Now, I've got some other mates i'll play with.
Speaker 1: Are really good, but they have kind of like trash not trash gear, but like not the new bag, not the new clubs and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So there's a guy that was playing the other day and he's I'm sitting there and I'm in the rough. Obviously I don't play too much on the fairways. I can't get it there, but I'm in this thick ruff, you know, and I'm like going to have a swing. And this guy just like come up to the next hole and he kind of looks at me. He goes you Mason Cocks and I was like yeah, He's like, ah, he just guys stood there and I was like, can I help you? Like do you want a photos on? What are we doing here? And it's like you off at him a photo?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was like he was like, Oh, we're awkwardly having this like kind of standoff, you know, wild West style, And I was like, I don't really want to sit here and have the swings. You feel people's presence, you really do. Someone's looking after you. You got the gallery and like everyone's looking. It's like there is pressure one on one and it's even worse whenever you're just absolutely dog shit at what you do, and that is golf and sometimes forty at times. But this guy just sat there behind me, and like I just felt him. He's just looking at me. He's going to judge every single part of my swing. I swung hit the golf ball, maybe bring one meter in front.
Speaker 3: And I was just like, what did he be? Curious?
Speaker 2: What did he want?
Speaker 1: So at that point, I know he's seen it, and I've turned around, I've kind of give him a look like, mate, can you just can you just maybe turn your back? You know you're not helping for at least the pressure, Go and tee off on the next hole. Do your thing, mate, No need to watch this. Yeah, it's embarrassing already. I don't need to have someone witnesses with me.
Speaker 2: Is he like a hole behind or whatever?
Speaker 3: He'd be that he's coming back. So I was going down, he was coming back.
Speaker 1: So there's like a tea box next to me, because I said I'll play on the fairway, I'll hit it right next to the te box of the other holes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was in thick ruff.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to really help myself in this situation, but thick raff, and it took me about four shots to get out of it. So do you know that guy is please stop watching just let me have a terrible day golf. I probably had a crack at him because I was like, so pissed off some just shit at golf. Yeah, but that's my thing. Don't don't watch people and they play golf. Do your own things. Stare with your group.
Speaker 2: That happens all the time too. When you're already just in a shit mood and then at least that guy gave you an excuse. It's like you were probably not doing well up until that point, and then it's like you can blame the whole day on that blog. Yeah, but it's always those in my head. It's a mental game. The guys that are always like you, Mason Cocks. They're the ones that it's just like because people in the chatter as well, like as I've said on TikToker, like does the goat reply and stuff. It's like hit us with the question.
Speaker 3: Something rather than just a statement, Yeah, oh.
Speaker 2: Coxy, do you like playing golf? What are you playing off or something?
Speaker 1: Don't ask that question because I can't answer that. I give up about third hole, Like you know what, I'm just gonna hit some different clubs have a bit of fun today.
Speaker 2: Well, there has been a few of those in our DMS where it's like people tell you, like this slice of information that you really don't need to know, and it'll be like, as an example of like, oh, Mason, I always hated you forever, especially because you did that against my team in that round in that year. You're actually not that bad at Blake. Delete that first part. You don't need the first part. Hey, Mason, I always thought you were a dick, but you're not as big a dick as I thought. Thanks, mate.
Speaker 1: I hate cheers. I appreciate it for judging me without knowing that. Ah so good.
Speaker 2: You get so many of them. It's just like, hey, I hated you forever because you're just the Richmond Tigers.
Speaker 3: Oh no, the whole Richard supporter group just hates me for no reason.
Speaker 2: But then I watched the Howie games and yeah, it's bad bloke that.
Speaker 3: To me yesterday.
Speaker 2: Actually thanks, But yeah, I feel like people just don't need to say the first part.
Speaker 1: Nah no, just leave it out. Just be a nice guy. Don't be like, Eah, that's your dick now, not as bad as I thought.
Speaker 2: She could just come in with Like I listened to the Howie Games. I really love the episode that was.
Speaker 1: Well, from one little controversy to another, chess the chess world has been absolutely turned upside. I don't think I've ever known anything about the chess world, but this week has been absolutely insanity. Some of the stuff that's coming out of the Professional Chess League, I don't know its p PFC, I don't know. We're just gonna make that up. But there's been some very big controversies. A nineteen year old kid is whooping some ass on some older folk and it is not okay.
Speaker 3: They're not happy with it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So essentially this guy that's like the best in the world, yeah, and he's starting to get whooped by like nineteen year old kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's a bit of like this guy's like, you know what, I'm not playing this kid anymore because he's cheating. He's clearly cheating.
Speaker 1: He just he comes into it and then makes like one move and then just leaves the checks. It's a online yeah, so he's like walks in and it's like literally two like it's this big kind of like you know, face off. The two biggest names it's got to beat him previously, is going to do it again, And like he walks in does one movie, says peace, I'm out, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Just leaves the chat.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like, yo, he went in and knew straightaway that he was what I guess, cheating.
Speaker 3: There's claims he is now the chess world is now. I don't know.
Speaker 1: The chess authorities that go out and do these kind of things have now looked into it. So there's no way of telling. Because there's been some wild accusations Brandon, some wild accusations of some beads and some back end of people's you know, anatomy and then the bomb and all that kind of start buzzing to say there's like a big move on the board, better look out for it, you know, and like the little hints like that that people have been saying. I don't know, man, is some wild stuff out there that there's being accusations, accusations towards this fella.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's you wonder how you can cheat in chess, and it would be too easy and obvious to think, you know, like a little ear like implant.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the back end beads, as.
Speaker 1: We'll call them vibrating anal beads. Let's just go out there, let's just let's not out there. That's what it is. That's what it's been told. I don't know, there's you know the PFC. I think PFC, we're making that up. Yeah professional uh yeah, where that came from?
Speaker 3: Chess like PCL, Yeah, the PCL, PCL.
Speaker 1: I actually can't like that. The PCL. Now they've come back and said there's I mean, like, how do you how do you prove that post it all happening. I'm not really sure, but imagine just like.
Speaker 2: The anal beads thing is just if true alleged, it's extravagant, it's a genius move because anal beads, and no one's going to want to go like, no one's going there. Well, every time you play a chess tournament, it's like come on, bend over and cough.
Speaker 1: Like it's online, it's not you're doing it in person. So I don't know how it works. But to sit there and say like it's not the cheating thing is also kind of interesting because like it's not necessarily full cheating. I feel like because it's like literally just giving someone a hint like it is cheating per se, but it's not like making the move for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but when you get to that level, surely it's like a buzz and then you take an extra five seconds to go like, oh, actually, yeah, I see that or whatever. Surely it would be the buzz would be like a couple moves ahead too. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's like when you're three buzzes for like three moves ahead.
Speaker 2: Cause they take a second to make a choice and they got their clock and do all the timer and stuff. So yeah, that's I don't know, I feel like that's genius level cheating. It kind of reminds me of the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? With the coughs in the crowd? What is this?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: You don't know this one? So it's like one of the first times someone ever won a million dollars on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and it was like, congratulations, all the confetti comes down, you want a million dollars? Anyway, a while later they found out that it was essentially someone was sitting outside and had a microphone to an earpiece in someone's ear in the crowd, and the guy would go like so it's like you know, see, yeah, what letter does dog start with it? And he'd read out the question and go like A A B, B C C or D D And when he said the right answer, the person in the crowd would cough.
Speaker 3: Surely they would catch on to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like in hindsight it was obvious ass but at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 1: You know, you can't just like you can't just like cut into it and be like no, no, you cheating, like you have to go through the full thing.
Speaker 2: But you wouldn't have it had never happened, so it was unfathomable. So the first time, is this an Australia Malienaime, I don't think so, I think the UK. But yeah, so they went back listened to it found like their whole plot foiled. It got the million dollars back. Oh God, like those cheating things.
Speaker 3: You've gotta be smarter than that, you know.
Speaker 1: It's got to be like a you know, a long cough is like sea and then like the short cough is out.
Speaker 3: You can't be like, all right, four coughs is d.
Speaker 2: But it was like that's why it was smart in the way that it was like he would read the mountain when he got to like be He'd be like, yeah, okay, okay, it's be Hey.
Speaker 3: That was in Australia. Eddie picked that right up.
Speaker 2: He'd pick it up.
Speaker 1: Edie picked that right up. All right, man, we're go into the awkward moments next. Tell me about this blood nose. You have blood nose during your run?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and blood noses a grass. So I apologize for this.
Speaker 3: Did you just kind of like roll out and just like white T shirt everything? Like?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, so I the sun started to come out, so I started going for.
Speaker 3: No T shirt, no T shirt. The rig was outfrighted.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's no chance.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So past three days, yeah, jug three days in a row.
Speaker 1: Huge, just getting back in shape, ladies, getting back into summer barts.
Speaker 3: Coming around day.
Speaker 2: Three, I've been getting I don't know if it's hay fever or if it's like a lingering cold, but I'm a bit like yeah, yeah, so I don't do you know what a bushman's blow is?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: What is this bushman's blow? This could get really sexual. This is just discussing.
Speaker 2: It's when you do the ah, yes, okay, one finger on one nostril and blow or he's not out the other not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, the bushman's blaf.
Speaker 2: So you do that when you're out in the field. I doubt you're like tissue tissue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well blow my eyes for you out. But yes, okay, understandable.
Speaker 2: So I was, I was running and I was fully my nose was fully blocked, and I'm like, I'm going to have to do something about this. I did one nostril, went across the other side, did the other nostril, and just blood blow too hard. Yeah, I don't know what I did. And then so blood started coming down. I was like, it'll stop, Like kept running if someone had a seen me. I'm like sprinting, looking like I'm dying already because of round like one hundred meters and blood's pouring down my face and I'm like tilting my head back. And I was lucky enough I had a red running shirt on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like so matched it it wasn't as obvious as it probably would have been.
Speaker 2: I was wiping it on my shirt so because I was conscious that people would be seeing me running down the street with a blood nose, So I was wiping it off and it just wouldn't stop. So I had to stop. My jug and then walk up to a petrol station and get like they had paper tail.
Speaker 3: Oh, the ones that like the gas pump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get the paper tail out and shove it up there and woah continued on with the jug.
Speaker 3: What we're doing in AFL. I think sometimes I'll put a tamp on it there.
Speaker 2: Who at the club? Who do you ask for a tampa?
Speaker 1: There's just one in the medical bag just in case someone gets one and they clip off the and then like put it out there and show it up and it soaks up all the blood it is. Then if you if you ever get a blood nose or something like that in the game, you find the part of your jersey. It's like we're black and white, right, yeah, I'll find if we were in black shorts, I'll find it exactly. Yeah, I'll find the black bit of it and like rub my nose wherever it is. It's bleeding on the black bit, so it doesn't show up until I get off. There's probably a lot of teams that do that because everyone team has like a dark color usually, so you can always kind of find that dark color. You can kind of like use to be able to kind of hide and conceal the blood that you're actually bleeding.
Speaker 2: It's funny that like teams use blood rules to their advantage. Like sometimes I'll be trying to hide them, but the other times they'll be like, we need a stoppage, we need a rank and play. I got a blood nose, Like play stuff the game. I'm bleeding.
Speaker 3: Now. Can you imagine play get the runner out of here?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, imagine some players like just sit there as a stoppage.
Speaker 3: You need moment of it, but it just goes bank right, the face goes He's now bleeding in the nose.
Speaker 1: We need to stop. On to the next one. Now, I was here whenever this happened. Now up in False Creak to give a little bit of an intro into the story, that False Creak is where we used to go for our preseason camps. You know, we go up to altitude. We all go and get absolutely like just killed at this conditioning camp. It's kind of weak worth and it's first or four years and everyone's just exhausted by the.
Speaker 3: End of it.
Speaker 1: Now, during this camp, you were doing content for the Common Football Club. Yeah, you were up at Falls Creek and you're slaving at You're slaving a lot. Yeah, you're doing a million different things, right, you got the camera. You're kind of running with us, you know, and like we're all running and doing you know, we're jumping into ice cold lakes and you know, doing these push up challenges and all this kind of stuff, and you're filming all this. Now, at one point, we did this bike race, right and you're on this bike. Now, can you tell me the rest of the story, because you essentially you end up having a very personal issue, physical issue down in the undercarriage that you don't want to talk about, probably that ended up.
Speaker 3: In hospital for how long a week? A week? Tell us this story?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Falls Creek. It was like six am in the morning or whatever, boxing to the sunrise, and I was getting all my shots. Anyway, everyone took off and I had to pack up all the gear. So I packed up all the gear, rounded it all up, and I'm like on this bike trying to get all the gear back down to the clubhouse. I'm not pedaling at all. Go down this hill and I just kept gaining momentum and by then so there's a big sweeping bend coming up and I somehow got this confidence on bike. Yeah, these mountain bikes I used to ride a bit back in the day. The day before this happened, I went off this massive jump, like blind confidence. No you shouldn't, I'm not you know this like X Games champion, I like land and I jumped so high that when I landed, the back tire exploded, burst just popped, and I like flipped into this bush. But my experience there were like the bush that I landed in was like this real fluffy bush and I just stood straight up. Not a scratch, not a cart, not a bruise, and I was like, see it. That was great my managers. Anyway, the next day, I still have this confidence because I didn't get hurt enough the day before. Evidently you had in the hard way. I hadn't heard, yeah, exactly what you just said. Anyway, I'm cruising down towards cruising, I'm humming umming down towards this like bend, and I'm like trying to grab the brakes, but I don't really have, you know, the hands to do it because I'm holding all the yea and anyway, I'm like, I'm just gonna have to take this bend at like a million mile an hour. Anyway, I start to turn, and I can't turn. Like the momentum of the bike, I would have been doing like eighty ks and hill.
Speaker 3: Eighty k Cameron and everything in your lap just Hammon down the mountain.
Speaker 2: I was harming. I was going ridiculously quick, probably like sixty, but it felt like a sixty ks hour. Yeah, I reckon if I was next to a car.
Speaker 3: Was it gravel or was this like a.
Speaker 2: Full full paved bitch anyway, couldn't. I just kept going straight and alls. I could see there's like this table drain, which isn't great already, but then there's just this one like massive, like older. It's sitting in the table drain, and I'm just humming straight for it. Couldn't do a damn thing. So I'm going sixty, let's say sixty, and I just the front tier hits this boulder and I just go from sixty to zero and the stem of the handlebars hits me right in like the hips, like the pelvis, so like drills me in the pelvis, and I just, for like a while, I just stood there, hunched over, hands on knees, just taking it all in, absorbing what happened. I'm still conscious. I'm still alive going through the checklist. Okay, I can stand. There's a fair bit of pain in my like hit yeah, but nothing felt broken. I was like, Okay, this is so embarrassing.
Speaker 3: And people saw you do this.
Speaker 2: No one saw me so completely won out by myself out there in the wilderness with all these kids creak. So I like get on the bike. Survived. I don't know how it's avived, but I like, I'm like, this is so embarrassing. I need to get out of here and reassess somewhere else. So I like start rolling down the hill with the gear and stuff, and like the at the bottom of the hill, I just kind of roll off to the side and like go behind these bushes and I'm just standing there for a while, just like soaking it all in recover.
Speaker 3: So you still like kind of like breathing, like like your wind's been knocked out.
Speaker 2: Yet Oh yeah, every like the soul left my body.
Speaker 3: The soul left your body at sixty k's an hour into the rock.
Speaker 2: So then I breathe it out, get back on the bike, ride slowly back to the clubhouse. Yeah, everyone's like eating breakfast and the like, come on, we're going to the next station. I'm like, no, fucking who needs food to recover or anything.
Speaker 3: No one's known, No one even knows that you're in an accient yet.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to hide it, play it off like nothing happened. So I'm like, yeah, beauty, let's let's go. Fellas off to the next place. Work for like another ten hours or something. Come home at night time. I've been wearing these like compression skins because I felt like an athlete or something up in the up in the hills. Yeah. Anyway, get in the shower and I see there's an issue. I've got like this cut. It's like right on the point of like mate, just to the side of my pelvis yea, and the like there's a big When I take off like the compression gear, there's like this big like pocket of like blood, and I like push on it.
Speaker 3: And in your like in your like Abomaria. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like the compression pants have like kept it into this without getting too graphic. I push on it and some blood, more blood comes out of this hole. I'm like, Okay, this is bad. This is It just kept coming and I was like, I'm gonna have to see someone, so when I saw the club doctor showed him. He was like, oh, this isn't great, but filled me with optimism. He's like, well, we'll go get it checked out. We'll come back. We'll be back like within an hour or two.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we it's like nighttime. The road from Falls Creek to Aubrey is just windy as like snake of a road. So I'm getting like and I'm like starting to get a bit woozy. And he's like, okay, maybe not as good as we thought, Like get to Aubrey hospital. I'm like borderline like stumble into this hospital, getting a bit woozy by this point, and it and cluggers the dark. We go up to the front counter. It's like, yeah, we probably need to get seen pretty quick because he's struggling, not looking good. Like we only into this room. I'm sitting on the bed, like take your full pants off. So I'm sitting there naked on this thing with like this big sack of blood and the other big set and.
Speaker 3: The way you just like gave me the eyebrow.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, anyway of course this would happen, right, So I'm sitting there naked and like, yeah, things aren't looking great.
Speaker 3: Your finest moment.
Speaker 2: The two like hottest nurses all the time walk in, so I'm like, there's I'm fully vulnerable. I got nothing, so I'm making jokes about it.
Speaker 3: They didn't give you like a towel or anything like covering, just full spreading.
Speaker 2: Just out there.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: Anyway, they're like yeah, the nurses come in and stuff, and I'm like, you know, They're like, we're gonna have to wheel you straight into surgery, like straight into surgery, straight into surgery, like this is a bigger deal than you think. Like you I like hit an artery and they're like, you're bleeding like pretty severely internally. And I was like pretty doped up by then. I'm like, oh, just at a couple of inches. While we're in there and all these all these jokes wheeling me in there, I'm telling jokes why I'm going under pass out. I wake up and there's like four or five people looking over me and they're like, oh, I think fuck, Like we can finally go home because it was like three in the morning, okay, and yeah, So they wheeled me into the first room that had a space, which was it's like this old folk ward, and it was like full of Alzheimer's patients. So I'm like in this foreign place in the middle of nowhere, just being out of surgery, and there's all these elderly Alzheimer's patients in the background screaming where am I? Where am I? I was like, this is great. This is the best work trip I've ever been on. But yeah, so it wasn't. Yeah, the blood flowed down again without getting too graphic, but not far below your hips, your pelvis, your hanging through is the rest of it. And so it filled.
Speaker 3: Up Oh no, well okay, so that's all connected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, it filled up that. So it looked like I just had the biggest Cajonis of all anyway. So yeah, they had to drain all that and and stitch up my my bag cut. Yeah, the vessel, the artery, the artery. Yeah, and yeah. Then I spent seven days just sitting.
Speaker 3: In Alzheimer's reward.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was my bike crash story.
Speaker 1: Jesus filling your whole the whole thing up with blood. Oh yeah, I would just and you would yeah, like you said, like you you're probably embarrassed by in the first place, so you don't want to say anything, and the next thing you know, it's like quite serious and you're going, I'm gonna have to do something about this.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to reveal the story.
Speaker 2: I have a bit of history of that too. There was one where we played a soccer match, indoor soccer match, and I pushed Bucks over while I was doing up his shoes. Good idea dumbest, so dumb, and then yeah, I fancied myself as a bit of an indoor soccer players.
Speaker 1: Were most of the injuries from the Colling football come on the sprong floor playing indoor soccer with the coaches.
Speaker 2: It's been broken arms, acls, hamstring squads.
Speaker 1: They started back up this year and there's like three boys walking around after day one and I was like, what'd you do?
Speaker 3: Quad? Yeah, I'm like, did you start playing the indoor soccer? Yep?
Speaker 2: And yeah. So I was running down like the wing with the ball and I could just feel like something in my peripherals and Bucks just like hip and shouldered me into this curtain and I stood on like the pole that weighs the curtain down and like blew out my ankle.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to show weakness in front of like all these like elite x AFL like x AFL players. Yeah, so I just kept it under wraps and then we went out for dinner and it had swollen to the size of the football.
Speaker 3: But you didn't after it was done, you didn't go to the doctor back, Oh there's something that going on.
Speaker 2: Nothing. I was like, I just walked this off and then it was in so much like I couldn't step on it or anything. And why didn't you just tell us? Because they found out eventually when I just yeah, of course home from the restaurant and they strapped it up and did all that stuff and looked after you looked after me. So that's yeah, what's what's the learning moment of that? We'll tell people that you got an injury.
Speaker 3: Now, it's don't pushbucks over always can't I shoe?
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he walked ou into that one. Oh right, last one, last one. We might have come with this this week. Joe Biden old sleepy Joe, my boy, sleepy Joe. He had a bit of a mishap.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't think this could get even more embarrassing from his standpoint, Like this is a man who obviously is told a lot. He's told, Hey, we'll show up to this place. We're doing this, say this, say these people's names. Make sure you hit these bullet points. You know, we'll get out of here and everyone will be happy. He's a man that is literally probably just run by his people around him telling him what to do and when to be places and what to say. And this week he went on to this White House event, right, and he goes up and he's doing his big speech, and there's a lady that's organized these things for the past few years, right, her name's Jackie and Biden up there he goes, oh, man, man, thanks so much. You know, everyone's so great to see everyone such and such. Just want special mention to Jackie. I know, is she out there where you're at, Jackie? He's looking around for Jackie now. Unfortunately, and God rest as soult Jackie passed away in a car crash a month earlier.
Speaker 2: That's not funny.
Speaker 3: It's not funny.
Speaker 1: And Joe Biden was not up to date on this so this so then he's awkwardly sitting there and everyone in the room is aware of this, Like everyone in the room knows that this has happened. He's gone and just gone silent for three or four seconds, trying to look for and I'm sure the pr people potus are going stop, don't move on, move on, need to get to the next thing. But it's all recorded, as things are in these days, right, And he sat there awkwardly, And I don't think there could be a worse moment in your life of going I'm an absolute prick for bringing this up and just totally ignorance, thrown under the rock.
Speaker 3: Just embarrassing moment when on one you can't even back out of them. No, it's recorded, man, your potus. You're literally the president of the United States. There's no way this is not going to make TikTok.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you weren't briefed on that, well someone's getting absolutely starched. And if you were briefed on it, I don't even know what you do.
Speaker 1: Oh man, all right, we'll go into the first one. That mad Monday. Now you haven't we had wacky Wednesday. Now we haven't really caught up since it's too much. Yeah, so Wacky Wednesday was a bit of a big day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually had a sixteen hours straight of being out. Really, that's a big deal for me. Yeah, I saw the sun come up the next day.
Speaker 2: That's massive.
Speaker 3: It was a huge night for me. I will tell you the place we ended up, Branton. It wasn't it wasn't my highlight of my life. I will say that my brother wanted to experience some of the depths of Melbourne and some of the well known institutions we say of Melbourne. We didn't spend very long there, but it was a little pop in, pop out, go home. Realized I shouldn't have done that, and then move on.
Speaker 2: So well, no photos have come out yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly if anyone did see me, though, I do have a photo I can, I can maybe shure I'll show you later. But yeah, I was. I was the hoodie on yeah glasses hat.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you would have fit in. Yeah, if you went where I think you went. Yeah, let's say no one really knew me.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody was probably even capable, probably you know, saying the ABC's at that point at night.
Speaker 1: But it was good fun. It was good fun to show the probably around, showing one of the steples I had never been to my life. I plan on never going back, so anyway, but I digress.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny you bring up Mad Monday, because we did have a Mad Monday story sent in from a listener and it's all time. It's all time. It goes in instantly Hall of Famer. But yeah, without further ado, let's just jump straight into it, all.
Speaker 4: Right, It's not my Mad Monday, but my boyfriend at the time, his team, the Agrators, had won the Grand Final on the Monday. They had dressed up as sailors or whatever reason. Dropped him off at the club at nine am, and then they were supposed to be going on a bit of a pub crawl. It wasn't going to have a big one because he had worked the next day anyway, dropped him off at nine am, heard from him at six thirty that the year was on a ferry. They had gotten a bus about an hour hour and a half too the Brisbane airport and then got a plane to Townsville and we're then on a ferry going over to Magnetic Island, where one of our friends had a charter company, and they decided they want to go nighttime fishing. They were all so pissed by the time they got onto the ferry that they then couldn't go fishing. There was then a big storm the next day, stranding them on the island because all the fairies were cut and they ended up having to stay on Magnetic Island for another two days and got home on the Thursday. It was the last big mad Monday they had. It was a lot of pissed off wives and bosses.
Speaker 3: Say, how do you explain that to the boss? Oh? Sorry, mate, decided to have one of the biggest math minds. I love.
Speaker 1: I must say, I love the commitment to book a flight for a mad Monday, like proper took a bus without knowing to an airport to go to a place of unknown location to essentially try to go fishing. And then the whole thing just flips on its head and then the storm comes in says now, boys, we're going to spend two three days here.
Speaker 2: And that's what so it started off. Is not going to have a big one, going.
Speaker 3: To have a couple.
Speaker 1: But that's what you always you know, I feel like every person always tells. The message goes, don't worry, it's not It's going to be a pretty low key night. We're only going to have a few. Now, if you know, most males in this world, a few means entirely too many. Now, if you said, like I'm driving and like I'm not going to drink any understandable now. A few is your way of saying, like, honey, I need permission to leave the house, and I know you're not going to be happy with him when we get back, but I want to let you know that there is a possibility this might turn into a bit of a lit night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I a couple's definitely more than a few, and a few is just like you're already planned to get written off. Yeah, so yeah, so yeah, to leave on a flight, catch multiple fairies out to an island, and then you get stuck there. So it was a mad Monday turned into a Thursday. So that's a few days.
Speaker 1: I had Mad Monday. He had to kill it, Tuesday, Wacky Wednesday, and Thursday Thursday all.
Speaker 3: Within one week. It was a great little week for the club.
Speaker 2: I like that. And then yeah, so I don't know how you explain it to the wives end bosses, but jeez, that's rough.
Speaker 3: That's rough.
Speaker 1: But I mean do you sit there on like, let's say you get to Tuesday or Wednesday, do you just kind of go, well, you know, I might as well enjoy myself here because I can't really do anything else about it.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. You have to. So the boys would have been like flat the next day, bit hungover, Yeah, going like jah, we stuffed this up.
Speaker 3: But then well we organizers probably guy copet it too.
Speaker 2: We're here, we may as well make the most of it. When can we get back not till Thursday? We got at least Tuesday, bit hungover Wednesday, make sure we're ready to make.
Speaker 3: Sure that Thursday you've got the opportunity to get on that boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I don't know. That was probably one of the all time mad Mondays. But my thought out of that a question to the audience, Yeah, when has you know a couple of drinks turned into something bigger? Yeah, Like you go out, you planing on just having a couple, and you wake up in a different state on an isle.
Speaker 1: Like there's got to be someone who's booked the next flight out, babe, and we're gonna go and it's just turned absolutely dreadful.
Speaker 2: Get you wake up in Balley. Yeah, that's one from us a time that it turned into something bigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I like that. There's gonna be a few good ones working on that. Send them through.
Speaker 3: Sure, there's gonna be I reckon, we'll have twenty on the pod. They're just gonna be absolutely gold mines.
Speaker 2: All right, kick us off into what do we.
Speaker 1: Got the next thing? Yes, everyone loves it. Everyone loves the entertainment section. Why because neither one of us are very good at this and were just trying to pop it up to be something way bigger it is and it's something that everyone can talk about on the water cooler at work the next day.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so big week, big week this week. I know you've been all about it, Brandon. Yeah, Paris Fashion Week, I know, crazy, biggest week of the year for you. I know, I don't believe me, and I know you would have seen this because this was big news now, Bella.
Speaker 3: Indeed, I think I'm saying, all right, I did I did? I did? I did I do?
Speaker 1: She ended up going out, right, So she's come into this runway and it's this big oh gasp.
Speaker 3: I know who she is. She's some influencer. I think her model. She's a model.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whoo, that would make sense. Yeah, being on the runway, Yeah, it makes sense. She comes out and she's like essentially in like nude underwear is I think what it's called maybe the Kim Kardashian Is thing.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, yeah, we're just gonna go with that. Yeah, you're telling the story. Yeah, I'm telling the story. Anyway. So then these people come out with these spray things, like you know, like you're spray painting the side of the house or like spray painting like a yeah, like paint, like spray paint, like spray paint, and they essentially starts spraying her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, this is weird. Everyone's gone, what's going on in here? The police, something's happening.
Speaker 1: But it's not like paint, Like it's this like kind of cotton synthetic thing, right right. They paint her and they do this whole kind of like three sixt year round this blah blah blah. And then this girl comes out in this lady and then she like kind of does these two things and cuts a little bit of the paint and the paints solidified into a dress.
Speaker 2: So they sprayed address on her.
Speaker 1: Essentially, they created a dress on the runway brain and this has never been done before. This is big news. And obviously you've got one of the biggest models in the world. And it was beautiful, absolutely beautiful. The dress was good, actually was pretty good. Yeah, I was a little way. I'll love when Ember people do something different, right, and this is big for the Paris Fashion Week because we were very fashionable people, right as you can all see the glasses, that's all we got going for us. But no, that was a big deal and I think everyone should know that. So if you do see a female work tomorrow, ask you to go day Paris Fashion Week. Do you see that little dress that the little hooded was wearing show?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I can't believe you know about that, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And they'll be like, you know, it's my little in It comes a little in, a little end to the people. I might be into fashion at work, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it is practical. It is very fun to go out and you're like, I forgot to wear clothes again.
Speaker 3: That just spread because it's like a spray tamp place and just.
Speaker 2: Like sort it out, just duck in, stump down in a little Yeah, no need I need to rent, you know, outfits anymore.
Speaker 3: You just go to the local place spray on cold good. It looked really good. I have credit to her.
Speaker 2: I think it just has to look good enough if it's practical, Like if you forgot to wear a shirt outside, yeah, or you just didn't wear a shirt because you cocky or whatever, and then you go to a pub and they're like, mate, no shoes, no shirt, no service. You just go wow, mate, and then whip out your can of shirt and just spray it on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that would actually work.
Speaker 2: Don't think about that.
Speaker 3: Do you think about that problem solved? Anyway?
Speaker 1: That was faris fashion work. Everyone obviously knows, massive, massive week.
Speaker 2: Now the other tangle of it of like conversation starters, because you clearly you do a little bit of research, but it's not we skim in there. Well, I'm not conversation started.
Speaker 3: It's a conversation starter. It's a water cooler chat.
Speaker 2: We're just helping you start it exactly.
Speaker 3: And then you let them go on the whole you know details, and they tell you the rast and you just you're the spark to the fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Essentially, you can tell the little joke about the spray on shirt. You can you can keep that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can keep that. Just copy your right bread cocks.
Speaker 2: This one is the biggest one since the Chess fiesco we touched on the Chess.
Speaker 3: This crazy times.
Speaker 2: Ohio fishermen nearly get a beat down after stuffing their fish with eight pounds of sinkers at Lake Erie fishing tournament.
Speaker 3: Lake Erie.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of ways to win. It's like length and girth, which you know all about, and there's weight. So let me break it on down. I'll give you a bit of a brief synopsis before diving in. So there's two guys. They team up in pairs of two, and there's fishing tournaments, pro fishing tournaments all around Australia. So you know, these these guys enter these fishing tournaments and they've been winning and there's big money in these fishing tournaments. So in this one that they got caught cheating in it was forty five grand wow for the winner. Anyway, let me now jump into the story. So a couple of fishermen have been accused of cheating by making their catches seem heavier than they were. They stuffed their fish with eight pounds of lead eggs, so they're in the shape of an egg but it's just lead and they were caught doing it there's also slices of fish filets in there, so they stuffed them with these eggs and then stuffed them with fish filets. Kind at all. They were escorted away from the tournament by police and they'll most likely be charged with fraud and possibly other charges. So one of these guys across his career, just to give you an idea of what these guys are earning, one of these guys over the course of his career had earned around three million dollars.
Speaker 3: Three million dollars.
Speaker 2: So, like they've won, you know, boats and trailer packages and so you win all kinds.
Speaker 3: Of stuff including outsights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you get like, you know, if you've got the heaviest fish, you get like a little five k bonus, and then there's the overall leaderboard and all of that stuff. But these guys won a tournament back in twenty twenty one, and so people are going like, well, how far back does this go that were doing this? This is only really just started. And to give you an idea of, you know, how serious everyone was taking this. This is just a little snippet of an angry mob that formed.
Speaker 3: Oh I can only imagine the Burgans that were here at this fishing termament.
Speaker 2: All these pro fishers are like, is this in Australia, This is in the in Ohio, Ohio. So there's guns involved. Well, these guys are like they've essentially robbed all these other fishermen, fishermen that have also traveled around to these tournaments. So here's a little grab of these these angry fishermen. So they're aggressive. They're aggressive.
Speaker 3: You talk about angry mob, that is angry mob mentality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's the light part of it.
Speaker 3: That's the light as people being four f bombs ten second claim.
Speaker 2: People essentially threatening to off them at this tournament.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I understand why the police ascored.
Speaker 2: Plice ha'scorded amount of there pretty pretty quick. So yeah, so an idea first place at this tournament that they were caught cheating in is apparently forty five grand if you win. Ye. But yeah, he's made a lot of money over the course of his career, so now he'll be, you know, go up for fraud chargers and all of that. So it's watch this space on the Ohio Pro Fishing League.
Speaker 3: The PFL. I it up, not the PC, the PFL, not the.
Speaker 2: Piece couse with the PC. I don't know which everyone knows is the professional.
Speaker 3: Back to the audio clup again, what's what is my mentality? Sound like?
Speaker 2: Sounds like the biggest stone, like cheers, You've sucked over a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Man, a man, it's not cool. It's not cool. Man.
Speaker 2: So this one is interesting because I feel like there's a there's a little spot in the market that we could do something here. We've talked about tailgating huge Okay, yeah, I feel like as the podcast evolves, this is something that could evolve with it is creating tailgating in Australia before games yep. So make it a thing that we have to partner up with, you know, an events company or you know, a brand to get it off the ground, whether we do it at the MCG parking lot or we do it nearby tailgating before you know, Collingwood Games or whatever. Head down, you know, have a couple of beers, have some food, a bit of brisket or whatever. Watch the start of the game there maybe you know, wander over to the stadium when it starts.
Speaker 1: I can't think we should do this for the tennis yeah, and then you got all the matches going on right we.
Speaker 2: Have to compete with the massive outdoor event that they already have. I was, we don't have to compete with anyone because no one's doing it.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: So this is a Florida headline tailgates strip club. Now stick with me. Miami Dolphins selling the Miami Dolphins fan sparks controversy by setting up a makeshift strip club in the parking lot ahead of the game. So there's video that's come out of strippers dancing in this makeshift strip club outside a hard rock stadium, music blaring in the background. Fans can be seen throwing money money and enjoying the company of the dancers as they live life to the fullest. And this hasn't no one really investigated, no one's been in trouble. It's just all part of the show. So they're wondering if it's going to return. So now all eyes are on the parking lot for the next Miami Dolphins game. The next one's away, then there's the home game, so they're wondering if it's going to return.
Speaker 1: See, whenever you're trying to sell tailigating to Australians, if you just started with that, if you just literally started tailgate strip club, I reckon a lot of people go, I'm actually on board with this.
Speaker 3: I actually think this is a great idea. Brighton.
Speaker 1: I think you'd have some really discussing men going up. Nope, you've got something, You've got something here. We should rarely run with this.
Speaker 2: Because they have that pub across the road from the g On, across from Richmond's. Yeah, yeah, that does something similar, the.
Speaker 1: Topless Bar, yeah, which I find amazing that still exists.
Speaker 3: There was a brothel around there at one point. I came to this country and that someone told me brothels was legal, and I was like, sorry, what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're a thing still it. I think they've died out. I don't know. None of the ones.
Speaker 3: Shut down.
Speaker 2: No, no, not too Sue. All right, that's it for me, jumping out of that straight into dating. What do you go for us? You got anything for us?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: My da life might just carrying the team.
Speaker 3: You're carrying it heavy.
Speaker 2: Well, we do have a brutal bad date. Oh love that. So this is only the best voicemails make it on. But we love the voicemails. They make the podcast. We just talk in between voicemails. Really, so this is a bad date from one of our listeners.
Speaker 5: This happened when I just turned eighteen, just finished your twelve exams, just got my license, very excited. This good looking guy messages me and he asked me on a date. We're in a couple of mutual circles. I was like, well why not. So he gave me a dress and asked me to pick him up at twelve thirty because he didn't have his license, which should have been a red flag at the beginning.
Speaker 2: So I show up.
Speaker 3: He lived about an hour away.
Speaker 5: I knock on the front door and this Oldish guy like answers the door and I'm like, oh, you're old enough to be my dad.
Speaker 2: You're not the guy that I'm going on a date with.
Speaker 5: And he goes, oh, he's in bed asleep still, do you want to come in?
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, yeah, no worries. I was expecting, you know, a mom or a dad to be there as well, but no.
Speaker 5: The entire extended family was sitting in the living room. So everyone sitting something called Shiva, which is like a morning period for Jewish people following the death of a loved one. So I'm sitting in the living room of his late grandmother with a family of a man that I've never met. Finally, he comes out of his bedroom. He goes, oh, would you like to go to this place? I was like, yeah, no worries. He orders a ten dollar milkshake with it, which is a joke in itself, and a big breakfast. I just get a coffee because I was like no, this is this is traumatic. And then he goes, oh, I haven't brought my wallet. Do you mind paying? And I was like I'd really rather not, but I feel like this is my only option here. So I was like, noa, this is too bad. I've got to not be in such a deficit. I'll see him one more time and he can pay for dinner and then we're done. He told me he loved me after the second date. It was just awful.
Speaker 3: That's this. She went on a second date after he pulled her into a morning of the family. Like, yeah, what so that's I'm like, first of all, there's the ten dollars milkshake, right, let's break this down.
Speaker 2: There's the ten dollar milkshake into big breakfast. But before we even get to that, he lives an hour away. That's already that is that's that's fifty bucks in patrol. That's already a big commitment.
Speaker 3: That's commitment right there.
Speaker 2: That's when you're set in your radius. Oh no, hang up, it's like yeah five ten max.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the town you're from here?
Speaker 2: Chuker just south, just south of what I let you remember, somewhere else, like a little town outside Choker, Rochie, Rochi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's Rochy. Whenever you're in Rochy, you extend. The climates are about two hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, of course there's only like four people in Rounchy. You're gonna go on a dam.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: So fifty bucks in patrol probably ten dollar milkshake you get there. Dad answers that he lose it. Mom and Das I'm assuming it was gramp. Grandpa answers the door. Yeah, a girl that does not even on first date, never even met the Doude before.
Speaker 2: So as soon as he goes, I's still in bed out of left, third red flag Ida left. I know what I'm saying, like, that's like, wake do we not?
Speaker 1: Texting him saying like I'm on my way and he's going, oh yeah, okay, how far are you?
Speaker 3: An hour hour? Cos And he goes, oh, sorry, I love still in bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you didn't text, then you just headed off.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but there's some more details we need to have.
Speaker 2: So then yeah, so she's sitting in the late grandmother's living room where he's asleep, and she's sitting there with the whole family going through like this, you know, morning process, and he didn't think to cancel the date. Yeah, so he rolls out and clearly takes advantage with the milkshake, ten bucks, big breakfast. That's at least twenty five So that's Yeah, you're already in the whole thirty five or thirty plus fifty dollars in patrol. Yeah, so already not good, and I'm along for the journey up until that point. I'm with you. He's a dick, like, shouldn't have even gone to Brecky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: You don't go on the second day. No, that's a shocker, that's just that's on you. But you take the loss, you go. Yep, that's what we're saying, Like, you know, fifty to eighty bucks, you take the l you move on, life, lessons, you live, and you grow. You go back for seconds.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he must have been really good looking.
Speaker 2: No wonder he said he loved you after the second date. If you just you know, paying for everything, for everything, help through the parts in his life.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you got a heart of soul love there. Just to say you love someone like I love you on the second date. You gotta have just a heart of gold, hard of gold to just be able to want to deal with that and be able to show out out.
Speaker 2: That's brutal. The earlier I love you, jeez, oh, that's creamy.
Speaker 3: Right. When would you say I love you? Ever said I love you to a girl?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How long?
Speaker 2: Well? Once?
Speaker 3: Once?
Speaker 2: It's pretty scarring, but o.
Speaker 3: How long into the relationship?
Speaker 2: I was so it freaked me out because I'd never felt it and I never said it. And then as you get into it, you don't know what it feels like, so you don't know if you're experiencing it, And then you get so far in you're like, I better just kind of say it, yes, because I don't know what it is if I'm ever going to feel it, if I'm feeling it and I just haven't noticed, so then you just yeah, say it, and then you might grow into it, you might not or whatever. But it's just a real life.
Speaker 3: It's a real commitment unless you're.
Speaker 2: Genuinely feeling it, which I know what it feels like now so I could identify it. But it's like I feel like when you're seeing someone for a period of time, you're like, well, I probably just got to say it now. You come back with some brutal as like like I like you too, I appreciate that or something like that. So that and then you're like, now the now the clock has started, like there was no real pressure they say it. Then the clock starts and you're like, I better feel it soon, so you're trying to feel it, and then yeah, it's like this for real. So then it gets to a point where they're like, come on, you got to say it now. So then you're like, say, backed into a corner, yeah, and yeah, so yeah it is. It is real.
Speaker 3: Weird.
Speaker 2: It is rough. What about you? You can't get out of this one.
Speaker 3: Move into the next segment.
Speaker 1: No, I have I have maybe once or twice once early early girlfriend back in the US.
Speaker 3: That's what when I said seventeen.
Speaker 2: Years old, I've said it twice, but I meant it once. Yeah, okay, my high school girlfriend. It was like the same, and you're like, I love you. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, future wife. But it's like, no, I had.
Speaker 3: A high school girlfriend. I said that too. She moved to college, same college and stuff and everything else. And then I won't say the details because she might listen to this, but yeah, it didn't go so well once you got to college. Yeah, yeah, there's other things that may be sidetracked and myself, you know, or whatever may be, and we went on our separate ways essentially. Yeah, I haven't really said it since I think, well.
Speaker 1: I want to ask this because whenever you want a date, right, so we've got these bad dating stories and everything else, I want to know from the listeners kind of what is what is the must haves in a date, you know, as a male or female? Right, So let's say from the males, because I'm going to think like I would be, is you're, you know, must have someone opening the door for you?
Speaker 3: Is that a must have?
Speaker 1: Or is that something you go, I'm a female, I can open my own doors, get stuffed. Yeah, it's paying for a meal or must I think it's a must. But I know I like to say I'll pay for the meal. I like them to at least say, hey, no, let me help, and then I'd be kind of like that, No, I'm stubborn.
Speaker 3: I'm going to pay for this, you know.
Speaker 2: No, I'm a rich athlete. I got this, not a rich athlete. I paid for your lunch last time.
Speaker 1: I paid for your grilled of times, mate, don't even try to talk about this.
Speaker 2: So we go, We get grilled after the podcast, and so you call up and you leave your fake name, which is cool. I tell everyone what that is. But you call up, Yeah, I'm getting grilled. You're like, what do you want? I'll get the same as you. It's exactly what I said. I'll get the same as you. Right, So Mason, gracious graciously paying for dinner.
Speaker 3: We go.
Speaker 2: We get the meal, which is two.
Speaker 3: Burgers, two chicken burgers, Simon says.
Speaker 2: Chicken nuggets because you're you gotta be, and zucchini chips to share. We get back to the car. Here's your burger, Brandon, see you later. You're get in the car and piss off with the zucchini chips and the nuggets and the burger. How is that I'll have the same as you? So then I just go inside and eat like this little fucking peasant server of burger still that piece of ship. You paid for it, what you paid for your own meal. I gave you a burger, sling me a bur that's on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I forgot.
Speaker 2: You did it on purpose.
Speaker 1: Now you've said it that you've made it, and you've said a statement, I won't do it again. All the other one I want to ask, does the male or female organize and pick the spot to go out and the time and place today? Biggest trainer, So because that's always that's always kind of an annoying part for me. It is like where do you live? What when are you free? Where do you what kind of food do you?
Speaker 3: Like, like give me at least direction in the genre or like what type of food and also kind of a vibe if it's like a you know, a wine bar or are we talking like a proper sit down meal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's opening the door thing. I feel like kind of backed into a corner with that one, and not like don't pity us, but you know, it's a real fifty to fifty because you can, like, you know, if you hold a door open for anyone, that's fine, I don't see that as a big thing. But if you like pull a chair out or whatever, it's like, mate, I can pull out my own chair, Like I got arms. I'm fully capable of pulling out my own chair. Whereas like there's some group of people that are like, oh I like that. Yeah. It's so it's like a real fifty to fifty. So it's hard to read the play. If it's the first date, I lean towards like let people do their own basic as stuff. Yeah, okay, when it comes to paying for the meal, I automatically just do the first date, Like I don't even think about, like what the protocol is, I just do it. But then it's always good if you kick onto the next place they buy the first drink or like something like it's we're all in it together, we're all struggling, we're all out here battling.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you make it to the next part where you say for the drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something because like if I've been on dates with girls that just fully expect and it's not like it's.
Speaker 3: Some an issue, but it's like a thank you or like a fake offering is nice.
Speaker 2: There's a difference because it's like being appreciative of someone doing it, and then it's like I'm fine with doing it, not an issue in the world, But it becomes an issue when it's like just fully expected. It's like you're getting this yeah, or you're getting I'll have this drink. Thanks, You're like, okay, I guess I'm getting it, like that kind of stuff. It just yeah, it's like I'm happy to do it, but don't expect it.
Speaker 3: And then just show appreciation, I think is the biggest thing.
Speaker 2: But it's not even like oh my god, thank you something like that, not even over appreciation, just oh, thanks for paying, thanks for the meal, thanks for dinner, thanks for going out tonight, and then organizing and picking the spot I hate. But I know it's like that's probably appreciated the most out of everything. Yes, if you're like, I'll pick a spot between us and I'll find like a nice wine bar. Yea cool with something like that. Oh yeah, wine bar sounds nice. You've got to check it, like they drink's at drinking figure out well they're not.
Speaker 3: They want to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, what's your day, like, reckon, do you want to grab something to eat or something like that it's massively appreciated. It is a lot of effort. I got asked this because I've done this before. Is this kind of messed up?
Speaker 1: Now? I usually just because I'm my life's become chaotic, right, I usually just go this place this time, meet me here, see you then. Yeah, no need to like check in beforehand, say I've left, or you know, just still making sure where I'm Like if I'm I'm in, I'm in, right. I wanna do something now. I've been known to do this with a lot of things because my life has run off my calendar. I have calendar invite since something to someone to say there's a date locked in for us.
Speaker 3: Is that a bit aggressive?
Speaker 2: Like? Is that a bit calendar in.
Speaker 1: The calendar for be like Mason Cox and so and so date this place this time, accept the invitation in both our calendars. We know that's going to happen. It's going to go like it's locked in. Is that acceptable?
Speaker 2: Just to make it feel too formal, That's.
Speaker 3: What I mean. I think it does. But that's like that's like me knowing I won't forget now.
Speaker 2: But I feel like it's the same with like the opening the door. It's like half the population would like him, be like, oh, this guy's organized and forthright and everything, and then the other people would be like, oh, is this like a business meeting?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's like you can't please everyone.
Speaker 3: No, you can't.
Speaker 2: But it's like the people that are happy with that, they're your people.
Speaker 3: They're the people's bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Hopefully go to the second day. Yeah, just hopefully, and Grandma is not in a bad place.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 3: After the second I love you have to say ad date and say, you know what, this might be the one.
Speaker 2: All right, so let's jump straight into the foot Yeah hurt?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: So I haven't seen you since the Grand Final? What did you think of the Grand Dog?
Speaker 3: Shit?
Speaker 2: Where did you watch the Grand Final?
Speaker 3: Friend's place? And I can't go to Grand Finals if I'm not in it.
Speaker 1: I'm jealous, pissed and filthy, and especially after the showing that was oh got on my nerves.
Speaker 2: So here's one of those. Do you think Collingwood would have put up a better showing than Sydney?
Speaker 1: No, look this, you know, there's no way of knowing this, but Sidney Peters respectively, and they deserve.
Speaker 2: To be there.
Speaker 1: Do I think maybe you would have set up better against Geelong or we've played Geelong in the past and had better games that were more entertaining.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know that's a fact.
Speaker 2: That's fact.
Speaker 3: You know, it is what it is. End of the day. They earn their spot there and that's that's whether they played well or not. That's on them.
Speaker 1: But like they you know, we're well or you know, able to get across the line against us and get the spot in the Grand Final and they deserve it.
Speaker 2: And I was hoping you said that because all the people on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Colling throw me under the bus there, but it won't you.
Speaker 2: Putting it out there. Okay, but yeah, Collingwood fans or whatever. We would have played a better game. We would have played a better game. It doesn't matter. It didn't make it. Yeah, and it sucks. It's part of footy. It's part of the footy journey. You suck it up, you go again. Only two teams can be in it. They have the two teams that earn't the right. As much as it sucks, that's what happened.
Speaker 1: If you won't watch us plage along. We did it twice during the year and we lost both of them by like a kick so rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's keep firing through that. Jordan Degoi, I don't know if you know five years baby, what's your whole thoughts around it?
Speaker 3: Well, would love, would love to have a little bit of that cash, Just love to have some of security, a little bit of money in the back parking. It would be nice, wouldn't it. Yeah, Well, I probably got kicked about six goals a game. We might get there.
Speaker 2: But obviously all week was a talking point based on the behavioral clauses in the contract public? Do you think there should be allowed to be behavioral clauses above and beyond what's what's in there from an afl PA, you know, standard contract point of view.
Speaker 1: To a certain degree, maybe I think from a legality degree maybe, Like you know, I think I was going to think, like we are role models twenty four to seven, and whether we realize that we want to be or not, like we are in the media like because of our job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is it.
Speaker 1: But I think the biggest thing is like whenever that kind of came out, like I kind of read a bit up on it, and I was like, you know what what probably happened was, you know, they go, you know, these stipulations and then he's gone back and he's going, Okay, you're gonna have to be a bit more specific here, Yeah, because vague you know, like I assume what probably happens is like you can't do the X Y Z if this happens, like we you know, no, avoid the contract. But it's like, I think we'll probably have He came back to look, I want to have this in writing specifically of what happens, to make sure that you know, I'm not going to sit there and something minuscule happens, like he maybe runs a red light and all of a sudden, they going contract's done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like he doesn't want that to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think probably what was happening is they were trying to go back, you know, fine tooth come this saying bit of finer details and everything else, because you know, it's it's understandable for me to start a standpoint he doesn't want to get sacked for some miniscul thing that happens, and the club also doesn't want something big happen that's going to be ruining the reputation from the same time, you know, So there's understandable parts from both sides of the spectrum.
Speaker 3: But I have no idea the ins and out of what actually happened. I just know that the media loves to run with these things because Jordan Degi makes a headline for anyone in the area in Australia.
Speaker 2: But the managers also put it out in the media. We all know that that happens, and that's real. It's like we want people to know what's happening behind closed doors, or we want to put you know, Saint Kildo against Collingwood to give more money. Like we all know that the managers put it out there, but yeah, if it's if it was because of the vagueness of it, it's like, if you have off field issues, we can terminate your contract. Well it's like yeah, but what what is like if jaywalk am I getting the sack or like anything beyond that, because I think like.
Speaker 1: Right now in contracts right and it's written in there, so it's like we can't like skydive like wakeboard ski and then it kind of says like et cetera. And it's like, okay, well, what does that et cetera count? You know, if I'm like, you know, if.
Speaker 3: I'm in a zor ball going down a hill? Does that count? Like, you know, and I do money that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Like there's a bit of you know, there's a bit of gray gray area there, so I think a lot of it. Yeah, exactly exactly, So I think the gray area probably just had to be cleared up a bit more.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of where it all went. And then the contract was signed.
Speaker 1: But a lot of times I don't saying this is the case, but a lot of times contracts can actually be signed plenty in advance, like you know, let's say not saying this kind of this contract with Georgie specifically, but like there's people sign a contract, you know, and then three four months later, the AFL says yes to the contract and takes off everything else, and then it becomes public. So these players are going all of a sudden, they go, oh, well, congrats, you're signed, and he goes, yeah, I signed that three months ago. Likewise, it's just now coming together, you know, coming to light. So sometimes it's it just like waits on the AFL to actually create because they have the overarching ability over all the clubs, because they own everyone that they have to take off all the different things with the appearances and everything else within the contract. They go through that and fine tooth come that, and then they sign and then that's whenever it becomes public because every signature from all the different parties has actually created it.
Speaker 2: And now that follows on into my next question. Do you think that AFL clubs should be able to control what AFL players do outside of contact times? So you're contracted to be a training from let's just hypothetically say seven am to five pm. You go home after that and have a beer or have five beers. Should it just be that your performance dictates whether you get to or not. And outside of that, it's it shouldn't be anything to do with the club. And I'll say this before we get into it. We interviewed Ben Graham on another podcast and when he became captain at Seahawks whatever one of them, he said that players would go out to strip clubs the night before a game and stay out all night. He was like, right now, I'm captain, there's going to be change. He got them all into the change rooms and said, strip club before the game. We can't be doing that. Straight away, all the players like unanimously went, nah, get the union in here. You can't be telling us what to do outside of like contact ours. That's our life. We get to do whatever. If we decided to go out and drink and then perform poorly, just dropped on us, drop us or cut us from the list. But we get to do whatever we want in our own time. So and then what fans say and spectators say is, yeah, well they paid good money. But a lot of players don't see if you're getting paid like, you know, eighty one hundred, two hundred grand, and it's like we own you three sixty five. We get to tell you what to do and what not to do all the time. It's like, you know, I know people that earn you know, one hundred grand, two hundred grand in like the corporate world. Imagine if their boss went like, hey, Larry, don't drink at all, don't you know if.
Speaker 3: You want to keep your job, If you.
Speaker 2: Want to keep your job, you're not allowed to drink. You're not allowed to do anything. But it's like if Larry's coming in nine to five and doing his job and executing and hitting all of his you know, quotas or whatever, Yeah, it's fine. You can do whatever you want your free time what's the difference, And do you think that clubs should be able to dictate what players do throughout their off time.
Speaker 3: So here's a big thing is like clubs are a public thing, right, So clubs have sponsors. Sponsors have a certain kind of image.
Speaker 1: They want to bring to their brand, and you are a representation from a marketing aspect of the brand of let's say Collingwood, right. So I think from that standpoint, you have to understand that if you do things that are against the morals and ethics of these sponsors or the club room may be, then you have to be understanding that you're not it's not just on field. You're a representation of the club and something bigger. And if you do something to you know, take that repetition away from someone, that might be a financial costing. So you can imagine if a sponsor comes up to us and says, oh, let's say you know Victoria responsible gaming, right and you're promoting gambling, get in trouble for some kind of gambling thing, right, you can imagine like they're not going to sit there and go, oh, we want to sponsor them still because they're having issues with people and being able to live up to the legalities around responsible gambling, so they might drop it. You know, Let's say they're sponsoring us for one hundred grand, you lose one hundred grand all of a sudden, it's like, okay, well that's not on me, that's on the person. That's you know, not following our girls and regulations around you know, sponsorships. So there's sides of it like that I can understand. But there is the other sides where it says, you know, if I'm performing on the field, then I should be able to live a normal life as per you know, whatever you want to call it, per a normal human. And I think there's certain things where if you get in legal trouble, like yes, you should have some kind of you know, reprimand for that. Then that's I think that's pretty understandable.
Speaker 3: Like I think everyone who's in legal trouble, whether it be drunk driving or whether it be you know, I don't know, like if someone on a team, like we're to murder someone, you know, it's not like all of a sudden you go, oh, were You're okay to play? Right? Like you're good?
Speaker 1: Like there's certain things from a legality standpoint that you have to be able to uphold a certain image from the club. Whenever you sign a contract, there is you know, statements within that contract that says, you know, you have to be able to uphold this thing. Say, I think from my standpoint, it's a bit of a you have to allow us to live around life as long as we're not crossing a certain threshold of what's appropriate. And you're not gonna sit there and tell me like, oh, I can't go and drink right now, because then the off season yea, Like for a long time, we have this big issue where clubs were you know, tracking people's GPSS and tracking how much they worked out in the off season and everything else, and we had to kick back and say, you know what, no, it's our off time, give us some space. And there was this big kickback with that saying like we shouldn't be having GPS trackers on us while we're in the off season. So there's things like that where clubs are doing that, like all of a sad you had to log every single workout and show us a GPS data that came with it, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like you're just on all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, well, where.
Speaker 1: Am I going to be abdle to detox from this chaotic life that is AFL. So there's a bit of both, man, I understand. Like I think from the legality standpoint, I think you have to be understanding that you are more than just the person you are on the field. You're the representation of the club, its sponsors, and everyone else that's involved, and if you do anything they can be detrimental to that, then you have to be reprimanded for those circumstances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I feel like if if you did something illegal when you're at any business, it becomes public, you get the sack. But it's like, you know, oh, we got a short week this week, no drinking. Oh we like there's only x amount of finite times in a season you can go out you have so you can like go out with your friends or whatever.
Speaker 3: Well, we've got that client.
Speaker 1: We've got a seven day break, so if we have anything that's over a seven day break, you can go have a drink. If you have anything that's under seven days, then you're not allowed to, Yeah, which understandable because it's like you have to be able to get recovery. Obviously, everyone knows drinking is not great for recovery. You have to be able to try to maximize your ability to recover from a game before to be able to maximize the opportunity to come.
Speaker 3: In fresh for the next game.
Speaker 2: Isn't that on either?
Speaker 1: It is And if you get caught out then you'll get reprimmended. Yeah, and you might miss a game, like you might get suspended for a game from the other club's perspective.
Speaker 2: And then that goes into a broader chat. So obviously Hawthorne are going through some pretty serious, you know, allegations at the moment, but it's branching off in all different areas if those kind of actions from the club can turn into something more serious and sinister. For example, of like Sam Mitchell said in his book that you know, they took our phones office to go on interstate trip. See, some people might go like, oh, like it makes sense so you can focus or whatever. But you know, if you've got kids, if you've got a wife, if you've got in that circumstance like a sick kid, it's like, no, I want to be able to still communicate with my family. And it's like, well you're not taking it serious. Ah, yeah, Like it can be used against you and weaponize against you. It creates like a you know, a scary environment when it turns sinister like that, and then obviously you know it can have bigger, more severe repercussions when you talk about you know, terminating pregnancies or even in like essenonce case, like you know, take this, like just trust us, take this and creates an environment kind of like that where it's like we control everything you do and you just have to trust this that we've got our best intention, like your best intentions as a team, as an individual does it? I know it starts something small like like drinking on a Tuesday or something, but then goes into like taking phones and like having control over the players. Is there a point where it's like, you know, the players have to the AFLPA should really be coming out and going like what are you doing? The players are the players when they're in their contracted hours, and outside of that, they're humans. They get to go do their own thing. The biggest punishment for being in this life is you know, going to play golf and someone just stares at them from a distance, or you go out to a restaurant and someone hounds them at a restaurant for like a photo or a signature or what are you doing on the weekend. That's more of the downside of being you know, famous or athlete in Australia, Like, is there a point where you know, the AFLPA and the players have to be going like let's rain it back in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's a certain amount of responsibility that a club has to take on because they're taking in these eighteen year old kids who they're going to essentially let's say hopefully they have a ten year career and it's molded into something like that. But they're molding these people into these humans that have these kind of morals and ethics and everything else, right, And if you don't have a good culture that's teaching the right morals or ethics, then you know, you're almost breeding these kids in the terrible environment that's going to turn them into terrible people kind of thing like, And I think there needs to be just this understanding from a clubs for perspector that not only are you providing them with you know, the athletic ability and providing them with you know, the weights, training and everything else in the platform to be able to go perform on the field, but you need to be able to take care of them away from the field and make them into decent humans. Like there's how much time you spend as an athlete, and as an athlete, like within this club, you think about from traveling to new weekends and you know weekends are now playing games and now like everything you do is kind of wrapped around this kind of idea and this you know, this thing that is you as an AFL footballer, Like you need to be able to help mold them in the right direction and steer them in the right direction, whether it be you know, telling them to say, hey, you need to start studying because maybe your career is not going to be like last as long as you think it will. You need to have some kind of education once you come out of this, like telling them you need to do more media if that's something you're interested in, you know, try to figure that out.
Speaker 3: Whether it be you know, saying, yeah, you know you went on the weekend, you shouldn't have gone out on the weekend, had beers, you know, really back in whatever it may be, and you talk about taking away phones and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: There's certain bit I can understand where let's say you we used to do this at the club. We used to take away phones there a lunch, so whenever you go sit down lunch, you have to go interact and you'd be kind of uns forced, but like you'd be encouraged to speak to the people next to year, so you would get to know the people on admin, you get to know the player development managers, you know the coaches better, the teammates, all that kind of stuff, and you get your phone back in the in the hour, you know. So I understand those kind of things to try to build culture in a sense where you want to have more people understanding each other and getting.
Speaker 3: To know each other.
Speaker 1: But there's definitely a limit on all that, and I think that's where Hawthorne has definitely overstepped that boundary.
Speaker 2: If you've been inside the Four Walls, you know, clubs are essentially pretty rogue, Like they get to create and dictate their own rules, so they get to determine where the line is.
Speaker 1: A lot of times they're their parents now, like they move away from home and it's like okay, well now you are literally my kind of guardian as a club, Like you are there to help me protect me in I go to you whenever something goes wrong.
Speaker 2: Which is where like something as simple as like supplements. If you're an eighteen year old kid coming in fresh and they're like here, take this, You're like, well, this is Collingwood. Example, it's the biggest club in the league. I assume that they're going to have, you know, the best people inside the four walls. They're going to have the best nutritionis, they're going to have like the best you know, coaches, They're going to have the best of everything. So when someone comes up to you and says take this, You're not even gonna think twice, because like you've got a level of trust that you put into these people to essentially kind of keep raising you as a person. Yeah, it's like you can just see how it leads to things like this happening. I reckon even bare minimum is like a legacy for like someone like Gil is like they should be going back and checking player welfare in particular obviously like indigenous player welfare, but beyond that of like what's going on. We can't just like leave all clubs to have one hundred percent control over and everything and set lines and like all of that kind of stuff. It's yeah, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like I think we'll probably happen. This is like the player was proposed Overlian in trusting the club that you know, they ask these questions that were life questions that are separate from work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're asking guidance in their life. Whenever they work is giving them guidance in their life whenever it should be almost like that's that's separate, Like that shouldn't be that, it shouldn't be affecting your work kind of thing, Like you can make your life experiences and everything else away from they don't have to be totally intertwined twenty four to seven. Yeah, I think that's why way they overstapped, And it's like, man, you can't be telling them, you know, how to live their life outside of the club. You need to be able to give them, you know, opportunities to say like look, man, this is like your own.
Speaker 3: This is your own journey. This is an odd journey. Like we're like, you're part of our journey doing you're wrong, but like we're not dictating your full life journey.
Speaker 2: Because if you pull back from that element of the club having total control, kids coming in and go like, oh, I need to be able to stand on my own two feet and run my own life. I can't just go like, well, the club, you do everything, tell me where to go, what to eat, what to do, when to do it? Yeah, like to jump, how high? All that stuff like if you, if you? If you? Yeah, it's just a really interesting space because.
Speaker 1: One thing, one thing I'll say around is one of the issues I have right now is there's a soft cap.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So like obviously with our cloud we were lucky enough we have enough money that we're financially stable, and some other clubs might not then need steppings from the AFL whatever it may be. But you talk about sitting there and going like that sensag. You talk about that it's like you're trusting of the doctor and trusting of everyone else, and it's like yeah, okay. But then you say you in your mind as an eighteen year old thinking, oh well, I'm in the AFL, this is the bigest sport in Australia. This must be the best doctors in Australia. Yeah, this must be the best physios in Australia, this must be everything must be the best. But then you sit there and go, now we're gonna put a soft cap on everyone. Yeah, and you go, well, why would the best doctor come work for you know, let's say fifty grand, whether they're making one hundred grand at private practice. You're not incentivizing those doctors be part of this program if you're gonna sit there and put a cap on them. So there should be there should be a certain limit of that cap. There should be a sitting there saying if it's anything for player welfare or anything to keep players on the field and keep their bodies healthy, that shouldn't be capped. We shouldn't be limiting the kind of people we get in the program that you know, saying we're only going to pay you x amount, and then at the end of the you're gonna to go work your private practice because you don't we don't have enough money to be able to pay you. If we have it in our bank account, we can pay someone. If we can pay our doctor more to get the best doctor there is out there, we should be able to do that, or have the doctor there full time. We should be able to do that. We shouldn't be sitting there saying, oh, sorry, you got to leave at twelve because we don't pay you enough. You have to go work your other private practice. To make enough money to be able to feed your family.
Speaker 2: Well, compromise to be like exactly, that's what's might get a better doctor. But we're going to have to lose this stuff, mamma, exactly. And that's what's happening.
Speaker 1: Like the AFL soft caps that, and it's like there should be a there should be a cause. And that says, you know, medical and everything else has to sit outside that cap spending for you know, whether it be tape and everything else to keep people in the same par and that the AFL does all this kind of stuff right, So they're overarching people this, I understand that, but there's a certain things that should live outside of that, for player welfare and better you know, like lifelong. It's like you said, there at the end of the day, it's like you're really like limiting the players and what they can actually get from recovery and everything else because you're not allowing people to be there as long as they should be. Like we have our head physio has to go do his private practice. So some times I'll go, hey, man, I'll catch you tomorrow. Why is that because I'll go get my practice And it's like, mate, I'm a professional athlete, like I should be able to be physio whenever I need. Like maybe that's me being selfish, I'm not sure, but whenever you cap it with a soft cap, it limits the you know, how far you can actually get better and how how good the actual game gets because you're sitting there saying, we can only pay you financially so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would open up to broader stuff like you know, will the poorer clubs be able to lift up? But that's that's been the problem with the AFL. The whole way cap the bigger clubs from potential growth to keep them down with the smaller clubs, which is you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's the AFLs, that's the whole kind of like you know business, it's going we want to make sure everyone's on the same level playing field, which I get, I totally get. Don't get me wrong. Do they know use that power? But sometimes yes, as any business would, and I'm always going to have a bit of an opinion as I do, but like you should be able to find a way to try to make it even with without having to restrict the ability for teams to grow.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean when they're funding smaller clubs just divvy up the funding to be skewed towards things like mental health and doctors and.
Speaker 3: Eighty ms like player development managers to sit there and try to get kids lives on track. Und they finished footy.
Speaker 2: Well, that was good. That was a good chat. That was a really good in depth footy chat. We probably need something light to end on the Copeland trophy? Did you go to Copeland?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 1: I did go to the copelandt It was my heart date, me and myself and I she was a beautiful, lovely lady.
Speaker 3: No, I've been eight years.
Speaker 1: Never brought a date to a one year I did bring in maybe two years actually, jeez, jeven shining maybe.
Speaker 2: Anyway, few neols, so they.
Speaker 1: Were there further on. Uh, they were theirs in that ball player. So maybe that wasn't my date because they had to do their own. Yeah, so eight years, never.
Speaker 3: Had a date.
Speaker 2: And where'd you fit the top ten?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 1: No date, but they only show the top five, So I could have been six. I could have been six, brighton. I just didn't get his trophy for it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's the way I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: Pendal's hand off is like watches.
Speaker 3: He would have twenty by now, yeah, he gets to watch every year. I don't know what he'd be doing with it. I mean, like.
Speaker 1: Selling for twenty grand what it is. You know he's going, I've already got three of these mate, thanks tag.
Speaker 2: He's crazy. He's finished in the top three every year since like two thousand and seven except for two years. Yeah, it's like two thousand and nine and two thousand seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's injured for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, like two thousand and nine was just an elite year. Yeah, and it's like he was, you know, twenty, he's really young. It's just like, yeah, he's finished top three for you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a gun. We all know this. He's a fine one. He's still killing it.
Speaker 1: You know at age got you know, sixty five, Like shit, dude, the dude's just an absolute fun one. And credit to him, you know, like whenever he wins these things. It's just you know, like there's this whole thing now Geelong's won a championships and one.
Speaker 3: They're too old.
Speaker 1: They're too old, and it's like this whole idea that like once you hit thirty you shouldn't be able to play AFL anymore. I think that stigma is now getting broken, especially now Geelong Pendles all these kind of people Joel who's like been successful and still can play at the high level. I think even you talk about different sports home Rady like these people are playing at the high level and still outperforming people that are younger than them. I understand there's a certain point you need to try to develop people. But if you still think there's value that you can get out of these people at thirty plus, then I think the mentality around it is starting to really change, which is good.
Speaker 3: Good for me at least.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. So you got, yeah, another three, four or five years left in.
Speaker 3: Wow, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, Who knows.
Speaker 2: If not just finish it around at Geelong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, little far oh yeah there yeah, just yeah, kicking back in the retirement life.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's it for us. We've got a big week next week. Dave Thornton.
Speaker 1: Dave Thornton, he's a great man, great travel story coming to the travel Story is gold.
Speaker 2: Some crazy stories in there. And if you haven't go back and watched Nolan Cox.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the old Brother. There's a lot of good ones.
Speaker 1: And we're going to start getting back into these interviews because we've got interviews every couple weeks coming out now, so we'll do interview, catch up, interview catch up again. I'm going to go back to the States for a bit, but we're We've got some banked up ones and there's some absolute treats in there.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, we've got to get filthy in for a little bit.
Speaker 1: I might get a little filthy in for a little bit of a Camiah who knows Little cam the big filthy film.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thanks for having me on, and good luck.
Speaker 3: Over anytime mate. Before we go there, Before we go one are the seven platforms Braden.
Speaker 2: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Spotify, shit, Apple, and.
Speaker 3: Your favorite book your favorite TikTok TikTok literally forgot your favorite one.
Speaker 2: I panic when I don't.
Speaker 1: Spotify, Spotify and half I know that's the key. You got to get through the first five anyway. But thanks so much everyone, Thank you brain for coming on. Listen and send through your voicemails and interact with us on the pod like, share, comment, everything, subscribe so you get all the information whenever we come out in the new one. But as always, thanks so much for listening in and very excited for the next one. Hopefully enjoyed this one, and we'll speak to and have a great day.