Speaker 1: Laura, come on, hi, hello everyone?
Speaker 2: What are we? We are? We are?
Speaker 3: Where Britt mentioned Laura we are?
Speaker 2: We are?
Speaker 3: But like I mean the song we are the pickup? We are the pickup. Welcome everyone?
Speaker 1: What a way to.
Speaker 3: Kicks out on Monday. Laura's like, sorry, excuse me?
Speaker 2: Does any anyone know who we are?
Speaker 3: No? I'm having an existential crisis, guys, Okay, what's happened?
Speaker 2: Not nothing? Just I think a reason for a crisis.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 2: I think I just hit the point in my life.
Speaker 3: They call that a midlife crisis. Yeah, but midlife crisis is a different now. Like back in the day, you'd buy like a Ferrari or something.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not gonna buy a Ferrari, but I'm just like covering myself in house plants and cat hair.
Speaker 4: That's my midlife crisis, right? Is it that bad that you hear we are we are? And it makes you think?
Speaker 1: What am I? I have no ide? I'm so lost? Where am my?
Speaker 3: God? I am?
Speaker 4: You are?
Speaker 1: We are Australian?
Speaker 3: What I'm going to go home and buy some more house plans and that will make me feel better of what am I? Great?
Speaker 5: I would love to do a proper like genealogy, ancestry and test.
Speaker 3: Why don't we all do that because I reckon I've got some like splatters of different European in me.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it'd be cool to actually do it. I won't for my dog. I haven't done one for myself yet, but I don't think my dog.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, wow, and where is he from?
Speaker 2: It was actually really telling Germany.
Speaker 3: No, he's a rescue and I wanted to get to the bottom of the mystery that.
Speaker 1: Is busted And what's the answer?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. I can't remember, but it was. I'm glad you did that, Laura.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Also thanks for the update on you don't know what he is? Right, let's do it on a.
Speaker 4: Let's do all spit in the tube and send it off to France and TBC.
Speaker 1: I'm that guy. Well, welcome to the show. It's Monday. It is to pick up.
Speaker 4: If you were wondering who we are, Laura, you're a lovely mother. Just so you know, let's do pick up put down. It's how we start the show every week. It is all the big talking points from the weekend brought to you girls, and you decide whether that conversation is snuffed out and finished, or we carry it on into the week. All I'm gonna say is we're talking raw dogging flights.
Speaker 2: Wow, that sounds sexual. I think. Not the raw dogging you think?
Speaker 4: No, definitely not nothing to do with my high club. I we'll talk it next. We'll going to the pick up for your Monday over. It's Monday, girls, let's give in pick up, pick up, put down bitch's favorite. All the big stories from the weekend that everyone was talking about we bring to you, and you girls decide whether or not we carry on the discussion into the week or we snuff it out never to speak on it again.
Speaker 1: We did decide as a group not to tackle the Trump thing. That's not our show.
Speaker 3: When you say the big things that people are talking about, it's a pretty big thing to ignore. But yeah, look everyone's talking about it. Let's go for the slightly less big thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think the moment happened.
Speaker 4: Everyone thought, you know what, I'd kill for Britney Hockley's take on this whole thing.
Speaker 3: They do they want my they want me to put my ear over things.
Speaker 2: That's too soon, too soon. It was a day ago.
Speaker 1: Put down is here, all right?
Speaker 4: Ladies pick up, put down, smashing cakes in faces at weddings.
Speaker 3: Put down, put it down, put down, drop the cake. Do not put it unless unless like that's that's like the cute thing that you guys do as a couple, that you're like crazy like that, then go for it. But if you're just like if I'd spent all this time on my hair and my makeup and my dress, and I've put a lot of effort into my wedding day, the last thing I want is for my husband to smear cake on my face. And I think if you've asked your husband not to do it and then he goes ahead and does it, that's pretty gross to me.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've read recently, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know if this is what it's off the back of me, that there were a couple online who she had said one thing I don't want you to do at the wedding is smash my facing cake and he did it and then she annulled the wedding and divorced him.
Speaker 1: That's not the story. I've seen that story.
Speaker 4: But this is a wedding planner has gone on Reddit and doesn't ask me anything, and they said, I can tell you one of the bigest indicators that a couple won't last is if the cake is smashed on the face at a wedding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's always the woman's face.
Speaker 5: The woman's never picking it up and putting the whole cake in a man's face either, And it just seems a bit disrespectful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also what a waste of a cake? How much is a wedding cake?
Speaker 2: I'm necessary too expensive.
Speaker 3: Wedding cakes are wildly anything that has wedding attached to it, Like the zero on the end just gets added on, all right.
Speaker 1: Pick up, put down? Raw dogging a flight?
Speaker 2: Put it down? And you know why, because I know what this is.
Speaker 3: There is a sensation that is sweeping the nation at the moment or top where men are getting onto flights and they are doing what they call raw dogging, and it means having no water, no food, no inflight entertainment like nothing, sitting down on a plane and doing absolutely nothing for the duration of the flight, which I think go to therapy, Like, if you need to have that much time in silence, why not just book a little bit of.
Speaker 2: Time with a one on one therapist.
Speaker 1: I'm missing a point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not missing the point.
Speaker 3: I happily will do a twenty four hour flight and not watch anything.
Speaker 2: No, no water, They're not allowed to have water or food.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's excessive, but I mean challenge.
Speaker 4: They're allowed to do whatever they want, they just choose not to and they're not booking it for the silence, like they're just doing it because they're on a flight, like they're going somewhere.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm I'm I don't have anything against sitting through a flight and not watching TV or not watching it or listening to a podcast or whatever. I think it's fine to sit with your own thoughts for a small period of time.
Speaker 2: But this is to the like excess.
Speaker 3: These are people who are getting on flights and they're refusing to drink water because they want to raw dog a flight.
Speaker 2: Like it's so stupid.
Speaker 3: If anything is just unhealthy, you get very dehydrated on the plane.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Think of the poor people who are the air flight hostesses. They don't want to pick you up if you fainted. Think of them, they are thinking to them they don't have to do anything, then they don't for work. I have to give them drinks, don't give food.
Speaker 1: I think it's so stupid, it's peanuts.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for bringing those hard hitting news articles which everyone go get yourself a Brussels sprout, you know what, you don't want to go and get yourself an unfortunate, awkward tattoo because one man in England has done that.
Speaker 2: He's gone viral. We're going to talk about it after.
Speaker 1: The break, all right, it's next on the pick.
Speaker 3: So many people around the world stopped in their tracks this morning to watch the Euro's football Final. Now the final happened at like five am this morning and it was England versus Spain.
Speaker 5: In the football world, England has been trying to get a win for a long time.
Speaker 2: They think they're the best.
Speaker 5: Anyway, there's this one English lad that is going viral. England they're very patriotic, you know. Their title tag line is It's coming home. That's what they do. They're like, it's coming home.
Speaker 3: I mean we didn't unfortunately for them, but yes, well yeah, So this lad in the semifinal or two matches ago or something, it was England versus Switzerland and it was so I watched this match. It was so neck and neck like that England were not going to win and in like with sixty seconds to spare, England scored went wild.
Speaker 5: So this lad was on holiday in Portugal with some mates. He's gotten wasted and decided to get a tattoo. Just have a quick listen, Oh.
Speaker 1: No, jack war have you done? He's coming home. Look at the state of it England.
Speaker 5: So what happened was they won in this the last minute and they were so excited. This guy was so excited and he, I guess in a way was trying to manifest England to win the entire thing. So he went and got a tattoo in Portugal off when he was on this adrenaline high, and across his chest he's written England for twenty twenty four winners. That's what he got tattooed. And in this photo he's so happy, he's smiling. He's got this big tattoo bit England. It is spelt e ng e r LA and England twenty twenty four winners. So first England spelt wrong twenty twenty four looks like twenty twenty one, and then they lost.
Speaker 3: It is the funniest tattoo I have seen.
Speaker 2: And he's getting troll online. He looks so off.
Speaker 3: His face Firstly, firstly, where's the responsibility. You should not be tattooing people this drunk. This has to be like someone's done this. It's a stitch up. Like no one who lives in a country doesn't know how to spell the name of the country that they live in.
Speaker 2: It has to be a stitch up.
Speaker 1: Did a friend do it or did he go to a parlor?
Speaker 2: So I know what I'm wondering.
Speaker 5: Engerland, I reckon Portugal is pretty close with Spain, and everyone basically knew Spain was going to be in the final I reckon is like the tattoos is like stuff going for England. I'm gonna I'm gonna properly spell this wrong. That's what I reckon.
Speaker 3: This reminds me of do you remember that tattoo the when viral years ago and it was instead of saying no regrets, it was no regrets, no rag rats.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, you've got.
Speaker 4: A lot of regrets. My sister Becky got a tattoo when she went to Balley for the first time. She got an infinity like under her rib cage. But they kind of did it a bit too high, so when she came back I branded it the infinity and she was so mad and embarrassed.
Speaker 1: And now we'll never show that tattoo. Why why isn't it But.
Speaker 2: Like, is it on her boob? Is that why? But it's still an Infinity sign.
Speaker 1: It's an infinity sign on a titty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone like look at this stupid one I have, which looks like a nightclub stamp. And I've told you about it. But when I was I was young, I was in India and I decided to get a mandala and mendala. The whole thing about a mandala also culturally inappropriate, but mandalas are meant to be about being centered and finding your center ground and all this sort of spiritual associations. And I got it off center for the fact that nothing in life is centered.
Speaker 1: It is so such it makes.
Speaker 2: Me want to vomit on myself. For the twenty year old, I was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a clean skin. I don't have any tattoos. I think if I ever get a tattoo, it'll be one tiny little letter for my fiance or a kid or something. But I reckon, there are so many people.
Speaker 5: If you're out there and you have got a tattoo that wasn't what you wanted or your friend had a bit of a mishap.
Speaker 2: Please give us a.
Speaker 3: Call because we want we like, we live for this stuff.
Speaker 2: Tattoo regrets, tattoo.
Speaker 1: Rag right, maybe you're anger, relish angers and give us a call. Here the pickup.
Speaker 2: If you're just joining us.
Speaker 3: We're talking about tattooed mishaps.
Speaker 5: If you've had one, or you know someone with a mishap, please call up now.
Speaker 2: A pall that in England.
Speaker 5: That was a huge football fan. It was going for England in the Euros in the final. He pre emptied their win and got England winners.
Speaker 3: On his chest tattooed and they spelled England E n G E R l A n D.
Speaker 2: Tattoos are forever, like sure.
Speaker 3: And also you change your mind, Flora, I think is that you think you want when you're in your twenties. By the time you're a bit older, often you change your mind. I went to UNI with a girl who we went to UNI games together. Too much drinking was done and she went to the tattoo pile of this one. It was like after the games at the evening she went and she wanted to get like a horny devil on her butt. So she got a horny devil and it was running, but the tattooist took liberty right at the end, and he did like a little bit of smoke kicking off her back heel, and we were all there because it was running so fast away from her butt crack. But the little bit of dust that had been kicked off the horny devil's heel looked like a fart, and it looked like the horny devil was running away from her ass cracks.
Speaker 2: And the smell so bad.
Speaker 4: He did that so bad, Melissa's called us on the show. Hey, tell us about your regrets.
Speaker 1: What happened to you?
Speaker 6: So, I don't know if you guys remember that singer Anastasia there, I'm out of love hit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what a banger. I loved it?
Speaker 1: Was this going?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I loved it too, and I thought she looked great, and I decided to copy.
Speaker 4: Her and get her same tramp stamp on my tramp damp.
Speaker 2: You guys have the same tattoo that she has. You got what is it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So it's like a like a sun that kind of looks like a flame, and it's got like a cross in the middle and it's huge.
Speaker 3: That was like the breakout part of her film clip, wasn't it like she always had the crop on the low rise jeans?
Speaker 1: And yes, and how big is it? Melissa?
Speaker 6: It's massive? So like the end of the Delli Good, Delli Positive is I can't see it.
Speaker 3: So it's so big. It's got like a pagan symbol in the middle of the sun.
Speaker 1: It's like the dinner.
Speaker 2: It's hi pretty much.
Speaker 3: You need to make up a better story. Don't just say you're a super fan. Just say look out of stage and I used to be friends and we got matching tattoos and then you know, I don't see much anymore. Yeah, you make up a better story. You don't just say she changed. She changed, she got famous.
Speaker 4: Oh, Melissa, that is embarrassing. And he's told her on the radio, Maddie, what happened to you?
Speaker 6: So I was sixteen or seventeen and my friend's mum was apparently a tattoo artist. I thought, well, obviously I'm going to get my birthday tatoo on me, because why not forget? And I got it pretty much from rib to rib up my side. It was quite large in Roman numerals, but it's wrong.
Speaker 2: When did you discover it was wrong?
Speaker 6: I think it was once I was at the beach and someone went, oh, like, what's that and that's her birthday and I'm like, no, it's not.
Speaker 5: I was like, so did you get that wrong when you took it to the tattooist, or like did you take what you wanted or they got it wrong?
Speaker 6: So I just went this is my great idea and she drew it up.
Speaker 2: Hang on, does it make you younger or older?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: Look it makes no sense, so.
Speaker 2: It's not a birthday. So good you can I mean, we can get these things lasered off now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, technology exists. Thenk go on, hey joining us next. This is a first for the pickup. I don't think many of us know in this country we have our own space program, right, we have our own space program in Australia. We actually now have our first official astronaut that is primed and flight ready, could take off and be the first Australian in space ever.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely incredible and we're getting the chance to talk to her after the break. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Catherine B Benelpeg joins us after this on the Pickup.
Speaker 3: Britt Mitch, when you were growing up as little kids, what did you want to be and did you ever have aspirations to be an astronaut?
Speaker 2: I wanted to be a spy, and.
Speaker 3: If the spy things didn't work out, I wanted to be a builder.
Speaker 1: What a what a breadth of ideas?
Speaker 4: I wanted to run a donut king franchise, That's all I wanted.
Speaker 2: That doesn't surprise me too.
Speaker 3: You're the anomaly because eighty seven percent children out there have some sort of dreams or aspirations to explore space, whether that's to be an astronaut themselves or to find new planets.
Speaker 2: And I, even as a mum, like I've got two.
Speaker 3: Little girls, they are so obsessed with out of space and learning about the planets. Especially Maley, Oh my god, she knows so much more about out of.
Speaker 2: Space than I do.
Speaker 3: As thirty eight, you're a woman, which is why I'm so excited to speak today's guest.
Speaker 2: Now we have Katherine Bentelpeg.
Speaker 3: She is joining us on the show and she is the first qualified astronaut under the Australian flag. But not just the first qualified astronaut, she's the first female astronaut and it's such an incredible achievement because I think in this industry you think so much of men being astronauts that as a woman to be able to kind of fly that flag for Australia, it's such a wonderful achievement.
Speaker 2: Catherine, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hi Catherine, Oh, Hi, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Hey Catherine.
Speaker 5: Question twenty two thousand and five hundred people went forth to try and get this training program.
Speaker 2: Six people graduated. You are one of them.
Speaker 3: What do you need to do that separates you from everyone else to be an astronaut?
Speaker 7: I would say, yeah, to become an astronaut, you can have a career in like pretty much any stem field, so science, technology, engineering, maths, including being a doctor or being a pilot. So kids have just got to pick something that they love and then become a bit of an all rounder doing lots of excurriculus in sports. And then if you get the chance to apply to be an astronaut in your career, it's like the cherry on the top of a career you love already, so it's it's really exciting. After I applied, I had to go through like a year and a half of tests like in the movies, like every kind of medical test. You can imagine stress tests and everything, and then to be picked it's kind of like, wow, why did they pick me?
Speaker 2: What does it mean?
Speaker 3: So if you were to go to out of space and get sent on a like on a how do they call it a trip?
Speaker 2: What does that mean for you in terms of length of time?
Speaker 3: Because I guess as someone who is so unfamiliar with this space, you were to be sent away, how long could the duration of that be and what normally takes place.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's a super exciting time to be a rookie. As for not now because you know, today the main destination for astronauts in space is International Space Station, usually for six months long missions. But soon people are going to start going back to the Moon to a new space station that's been built around it, and to the South Pole to do all sorts of incredible research to help us learn about our planet and human health and things like that.
Speaker 5: Are you always floating around like the movies when you're in the space shuttle, Like if you go to space, are you always just like floating around?
Speaker 1: Or is it you're just thinking the same thing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess I have two questions. Do you just walk around like normal? And then in my head you float forever. So I was thinking, like, how do you go to the toilet? You have to strap yourself to the toilet seats so you don't float away.
Speaker 7: Actually, yes to both questions, so yeah, you float around. It takes a little bit of getting used to it. It's in training and a special plane that flies sort of interravelers where you float twenty seconds at a time and when you're up there for six months, you're floating the whole time. There's no artificial gravity. So how do you have to learn to maneuver around? Well, they have. We did the toilet lesson, so basically like there is a toilet there and they have leg straps in case you need to like hould yourself down. Most people don't use it. And it's like there's like a funnel and a hose to go to like number one, number two, but you.
Speaker 3: Can't flush it because there's no water. Doesn't it disperses and turns into a little droplets, right.
Speaker 7: No, there's like it there's like an air flow thing to help things go where they should be, and then it goes into like it's like a nappy bin, like into the nappy bin and then there's individual bags and there's a poostick.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like of all the things that we can ask a qualified astronaut, we ask how do you take a poo in space? We asked the questions that people want to know.
Speaker 2: Laura, Yeah, the real heart eating stuff here.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, like so exciting to chat to you. LEGO are doing some great work with you, Catherine as well in getting kids excited for space.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, So there's a partnership with the Austrailian Space Agency and LEGO because you know, both organizations see space is a wonderful wage when spy kids in the STEM, so you know, both creativity and careers. You know, there were some some investigations done that showed you know, AlSi kids in year six and New ten are massively underperforming against science standards and the fact that so many kids are fascinated by space means that you know, by capturing them we can perhaps help with this challenge facing us for the future workforce.
Speaker 5: I hope that you get to space one day, purely because you've put the hours in and I just want to know how that poo went.
Speaker 1: Really send peaks.
Speaker 7: I'll let you know. We can have a call
Speaker 1: Astronaut, very exciting,