Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh sweety Pie, second last Day, don't be sad. Sad is helpful, but maybe not in this context. O'meagle is dead and the timing is very odd. Ten years of o'meagle. I don't understand why it couldn't just stay up at this point. Is there's not really marketing, there's no promo.
Speaker 1: Why die I know? And to think the amount of reducted I've seen on that platform though honestly sickening, also drinking on first dates. Would you do it? We're going to talk about it. Let's go over it.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Flex and Frooms on CATA.
Speaker 1: It is our last kind of week, I guess on cater it's been a pleasure to be here as perp. But Mickey has some best of moments to share with the audience and with us.
Speaker 2: Just keep the vibes high.
Speaker 1: Mickey, please play the tape.
Speaker 4: We're going to go back in time. It predates my employment as your producer. I actually couldn't tell you when this was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thats for Mickey. I don't know that BM.
Speaker 2: Fleck and Frooms.
Speaker 3: Its Flex on Kita and this week we are making dreams come true.
Speaker 2: I swear to you. We surprised rooms.
Speaker 3: My special co host is one of her favorite people in the whole room scene from Lux Listing Sydney. We had in the studio and when I tell you, she squealed was.
Speaker 2: In hysterics, puffing, puffing. It was really quite beautiful.
Speaker 1: I think there was chemistry all round.
Speaker 3: And I think you want to pay attention and stay tuned so you can hear exactly how it went down.
Speaker 2: Oh god, this is phenomenal.
Speaker 3: That is more dramatic the visuals.
Speaker 2: You were screaming to you.
Speaker 1: Know, did you no? That was a good get by them. Am I going to see Simon walk through it?
Speaker 2: You better?
Speaker 1: Simon Common we're friend's on Instagram, so he watches my Sorry. That was beautiful, And you know what I loved about that moment?
Speaker 2: Sheer joy.
Speaker 3: You could the joy was palpable at that point because at that point it wasn't even about Gavin, but it's just about us being excited, and he just happened to instigate that excitement. But those squeals when they trailed off, that was more about just sharing joy between the girls. He was.
Speaker 1: He knew. Oh what a time. Well, thanks for bringing that back, Mickey.
Speaker 4: It's my pleasure going through.
Speaker 2: The archives hearing that.
Speaker 1: I was like when that was serious, horrible, horrible news. Guys, out of the world. About a week or two ago, o'meagle shut down. It closed up shop, it shut its doors. I do believe there's still chat Roulette though, just right off the top of the dome in case you're feeling really sad about this one, guys, but o'meagle now looks like a great raveyard. We've got a screenshot of what it looks like. It's a gray screen. And that's not just because this is okay, it's because it's rendered in brack and light. But okay, this is what I said, dear strangers. From the moment I discovered the Internet at a young age, it has been a magical place to me. The Internet opened the door to a much larger, more diverse, and more vibrant world than I would have otherwise been able to experience, and enabled me to be an active participant in and contributor to her the world. I've done my best to weather the attacks with the interests of her Megle's users and the broader principle in mind. If something as simple as meeting round or new people is forbidden, what's next that is far and away removed from anything that would be considered a reasonable compromise of the principle I outlined. Analogies are a limited tool, but a physical world analogy might be shutting down Central Park because crime occurs there. Unfortunately, what's right doesn't always prevail. As much as I wish circumstances are different. The stress and expense of this fight, coupled with the existing stress and expense of operating a magle and fighting its misuse, are simply too much. Operating a mex.
Speaker 2: Uses child predators.
Speaker 1: Okay, that wasn't clear. Okay, the battle for Ameagle has been lost, but the warriancy Internet rages on. Virtually every online communication service has been subject to the same kinds of attacks as o'meagel, and while some of them are much larger companies with much greater resources, coming.
Speaker 3: Respectfully, it's giving.
Speaker 2: Crossant like omeagle, omegle O, what.
Speaker 1: Was I saying, ogel, omagel, And while some of them are much larger companies with the greater resources, they all have their breaking points somewhere Okay, then let's go Facebook. I worry that unless the tide turns through the Internet I fell in love with may cease to exist and its place, we will have something closer to a souped up version of TV, focus largely on passive consumption and much less opportunity for active participation in general connection. That's like the Union bubber statement, the manifesto what do we think girls?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: I mean, he's got a point, but the point he made first was correct. You can know all the ways that things could be better, but he alone cannot change the world, and he alone can't be responsible for platforming the evildoers of the world, Like he's so closely associated that narrative by proxy of making this tool that was meant to help everyone, or at least connect everyone.
Speaker 1: Surely he knew people were going to start showing bits, not at all.
Speaker 3: I think we would all be surprised what we as individuals have consciously and unconsciously encouraged others to do just by existing. Hmm. That's even without speaking. Now you add the speaking into it and you're like, well, where does this go? How many times we've been how many times have we been misinterpreted or misunderstood or a joke hasn't landed. I could imagine, And luckily we don't have a bunch of predators associating with us. M imagine if we did scary.
Speaker 1: My favorite amagal memory is I must have been. That was more of a chat relate girl. There was like this software or something hap people would pretend to be Justin Bieber and they'd be like a pre recorded video of Justin sitting on it and he'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, it's Justin Bieber when.
Speaker 1: I was nine. So yeah, long live it. That's an interesting mission statement by old mate. It is a bit sad. I guess I'm glad he said what it was as supposed been. Like, it's been a lovely time.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, Ruin.
Speaker 3: He's like, you people ruined it. You ruined it, You ruined everything, and now I have the suffer. Over the last couple of years, if not for the entire life of humans, people have been speculating that men's friendships aren't complex, they're not as deep as women's friendships. You can't expect men to know much about their friends. They don't ever know the details. You can't ask men for clarifying questions about their friends because everything is service level and vye And you know, I have definitely thought that beforehand, just observing some men's friendships.
Speaker 2: But then on the other.
Speaker 3: Hand, I have said a lot in my time, I really end the bromances. I don't envy a lot of things, but I like observing the lightness of all, like the superficiality of men's friendships sometimes where they feel really immeshed and integrated when they're together, very separate when they're apart, and that it doesn't become like a negative assessment on the friendship as a whole. Let's not get into generalizations, but let's talk about this video from You've All the Terrible, a man who is pleading his case for the complexity of male friendships.
Speaker 5: The reason why male friendships seem to last a lifetime is because they lack depth. A lot of men have surface level friendships with their friends. They only bond over sports, music, or shared interests like going to the club either.
Speaker 6: I think a lot of this conversation is stepping from what I believe to be a fundamental misunderstanding into how exactly male friendships work. Calling male friendship superficial, I think not only misunderstands the things that men value in a friendship or a relationship, but I also think it misunderstands the things that all of us value within a friendship.
Speaker 2: Here's how I see this.
Speaker 6: I believe that men actually value the same kind of intimate relationships with their friends that women do. I think the big fundamental difference is how men and women go about attaining those intimate and personal relationships. One of the examples she brings up in terms of how male friendships can be superficial is the fact that it seems a lot of men don't even know their friends' birthdays.
Speaker 2: But this is not.
Speaker 6: An indication on how male friendships are actually just really superficial. This is an example of how men don't really care about superficial information. It's not that male friendships are superficial. In fact, I woud say it's almost exactly the opposite. I would say it's that men typically are not concerned with the superficial level, so they almost skip over that entirely.
Speaker 1: You lost me, king, you had me and you lost it. Yeah, how did you lose you? What is this about? Then saying that that is superficial the birthday?
Speaker 3: Well, then it's interesting that you make that point also because in the comments, people are like, you kind of have me into the birthday thing, because it's not superficial to acknowledge when somebody was born, but in the context of your relationship. He went on to say, it's very long video, and there were follow ups, but he goes on to say that what I meant is that what he meant is that men generally go the distance, and the longer you engage in that friendship, more information reveals itself. So while you may not know the exact date today, if you're going to be friends for a year, a birthday will come up, you'll celebrate it, you'll note it down. While you may not know right now what their strengths and weaknesses are, and while you may not care to ask, you'll make an assessment of that as you get to know them when time passes. So the point he was going on to make is that it feels like what women are observing about women's friendships that isn't superficial is that we have this want and need to know everything about who we plan to be friends with.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: We want to make sure that we're aligned, we have the same values, the same morals, the same interest, the same aesthetics now and if we don't, we'll find a different friend Whereas men, in his opinion, are willing to do the actual soil and toil of a friendship to determine if there are equality is there that make them good friends? Once you can only really discover if you are actually friends.
Speaker 1: That's quite romantic. It is romantic. See, it just can't be. We can't boy this down though, to like gender genzo, because tell me why, all of the homosexual men in my life are just as open as the heterosexual girls, you know what I'm saying. So it's a socialization thing there you go. I'm like, men can do it just as well. And then to the men that are socialized to be straight, and you know, obviously that's a generalization. But in my friendship group, for my best these are gay men and it's like one of the girlies. So I think that is a socialization thing, to which I say, my poor straight men, because how boring. I love us all having fun together and they love it too.
Speaker 3: Seriously, what I will say, the flaws of friendship are universal and genderleist, though, because I think most people struggle with feeling deep, deep, deep intimacy and always on to like, for example, what the back and forth that he was having with another creator. They got bad are bad, but points that were made. I'm not going to sign them to whatever party just you know, you get the gist. But the point that was being made is that regardless of whether the positive qualities like the positive qualities, both friendships exists. But the negative qualities are universal in the sense that no matter how deep your friendships feel that they are, they're also fragile in the sense that when you really feel like you need a friend, you often can't find one. When you really feel disconnected from the world, sometimes friendship doesn't make up for that. And so the critique isn't about gender. It's about how we're socialized to be friends and what that actually looks like in different life stages and for different needs states, and how for the most part, they're transactional in a way where we're honoring the illusion of friendship and not the reality of what it is to be each other's friends.
Speaker 2: You're listening to flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: On cater Some new studies have shown that drinking on dates is dead, it's played out, it's a faux part. It's dried up, it's carcass like it's lam. And I'm not surprised. I will say five years ago, all of a sudden in marketing and events, which is a big push for zero alcohol drinks, and it was coming out of nowhere, and all these brands were claiming that non alcohol was the new vibe. And because I don't really drink, people kept approaching me to be their spokespersons for their non alcoholic alcohol. But the whole point that I didn't get was it was like zero percent alcohol but still tastes like alcohol, which for me, that's the worst part. Make a higher end juice. You can't even get juices that are high end these days. Anyway, Vice came out and they published a survey from a dating app called Flirtini.
Speaker 1: Have you heard of it?
Speaker 3: No, sounds very American that claims that one in four men and one in five women would turn down a second date with someone who got drunk on the first one.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have a little bit of fun, guys.
Speaker 3: And they also said that fifty percent of women and twenty eight percent of men never drink alcohol on the first date. They're not Australia I'm gonna say this isn't right. But but the way that trends move, they start in America and they make their way to Australia eventually to your turnal, I will say, this article is claiming that it's a broader social shift away from excessive merriment and more towards intentional experiences, which I don't necessarily think that's it, because to imply that drinking alcohol in a celibratory way can't be intentional is false. And to claim that a drink on a date is excessive is false.
Speaker 1: And to say that merriment is a thing that's associated only with alcohol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like a lot of assumptions being made here. But I can understand removing the alcohol from the situation because I don't think people want to be clouded by their dating judgments anymore because of how traumatic they are. So people want to be clear headed, have a lot of clarity, don't want to invest more time than necessary. I want to see things as they are, and unfortunately that means reducing and removing some of the excesses that were initially there.
Speaker 1: I reckon, yeah, one or two on the first day, then you know, second date enjoy them. A third, Yeah, your with flexing frooms on cater So I'm having a why did your lip quiver? Perhaps I'm having traumatic flashbacks. If I'm perfectly honest, my mind's going.
Speaker 2: You saw that in realty.
Speaker 1: It was freaky.
Speaker 3: Your eyes glazed over and your lips, your chin quivered anything, My gosh.
Speaker 1: Regrets your flexing fruits on cater it's flexing frooms on cater. We are here with you until five pm. It's our last time, last times in the studio because we have consciously quit. Why have been around the bush?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: Nicky has organized some surprises for us.
Speaker 3: So far, we've gotten two dozen Krispy Kreme donuts.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: We've received a framed one of one bespoke collection of Lucinda Frim's price original artwork created right here in the studio. One would say that she wasn't concentrating as we were working, but others like myself know that she was automatic illustrating.
Speaker 1: It's just a gift and a skill. It is what was the third surprise? We haven't gotten it yet.
Speaker 4: It is something I made with the help of our sound engineer, Andy at Kata.
Speaker 1: Andy works overtime for us we.
Speaker 4: Love it, and we love I will preface, Andy said Mikayla. It can't be done, I say, Andy, make it happen.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love that already, girl boss yep in the heart of the city, where the lights shine bright, flax and firms leaving dreams every night.
Speaker 7: Two years on the airways, journey's so sweet in the word that did Toyota cars on repeat? Flex and Frooms the queens of the air, spreading joy, love and Reddit to those everywhere, Flex and fromes. What a time would a ride big Boss energy? You know it's no lie. Deep in the forest where dark shadows wrong du gremlins are dancing and finding new harms. The price has gone up, the curtains come down. We sure will be sad that you're not around. Flex and Frons, the queens of the air, spreading joy love and Reddit took those everywhere Flex and fumes. What a time would a ride big Boss energy? You know it's no lie?
Speaker 2: Or was it?
Speaker 3: Nott did the lyrics and then Andy got the music bed from another like a I generate our website.
Speaker 1: Wait, did you you didn't Martha's lyrics that was from chat jabt, But I told chat is okay? Can you play it again?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Were running over time about.
Speaker 7: Three two one in the heart of the city where the lights shine bright, Flex and Fons weaving dreams every night. Two years on the airwaves, A Journey's so sweet and the word redacted, Toyota cars on repeat, Flex and Foons, the queens of the air, spreading joy, love and Reddit to those everywhere, Flex and froomes, What a time would a ride? Big Boss Energy? You know it's no lie. Deep in the forest where dark shadows roam, two gremlins are dancing and finding new homes. The price has gone up, the curtains come down. We sure will be sad that you're not around. Flex and Frooms, the queens of the air, spreading joy, love and Reddit to those everywhere, Flex and those what a time would a ride? Big Boss Energy? You know it's no lie?
Speaker 1: And this is exactly why they say I can never take over music.
Speaker 3: That's what it would all sound like, just right on the quantized, no flavor and like you can't help it, buck to.
Speaker 1: It, soulless, mindless perfect. That was honestly like I'm crying to hear that. Want to send you the file, like maybe once every it's annoying, but like, I want to listen to it.
Speaker 3: Again, like reata out retail playlist one more time. We don't have time.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, honestly, that's incredible, Mickey, that was really good yourself.
Speaker 2: Oh, I feel happy. That's endorphin. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 4: For more, tune Indicater on D A B or stream it on iHeartRadio.