Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload.
Speaker 2: The podcast last week.
Speaker 1: Thereby, Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Karen, who absolutely deserves the chance to unpack that final Tribal Council experience on a strained Survivor brands versus Broad two. Love her moves or not, Karen's decision to tribal Council gave us an unforgettable TV moment. I was surprised to hear how much trolling she's received for what some may say was a self sabotaging play at the end. But let's not forget this is a TV show and the boldest players give us the best moments of the season, and that is why I'm thrilled that Karen is here to share her side of the story. In this episode, Karen breaks down exactly what was going through her mind as she took a high stakes gamble in week six. Karen will share her thoughts on the remaining players, all of them left in the competition, and drop some excellent exclusives along the way. I'll ask Karen about the reception she received at the jury of Villa and get her takes on some of the biggest moves that she made in the game. Plus, we will find out which castaways have become her lifelong friends, and of course, why she told Miles to shut his legs. There's actually so much to discuss, with plenty of behind the scenes revelations, So sit back, relax, and let's dive into the incredible world of a Strained Survivor, which returns this Sunday night on Network ten. I'm excited to talk to you. How are you feeling this morning.
Speaker 2: I've just finished a night sift, so tie, But yeah, I know I've had you know, what's it?
Speaker 3: Golly? When did I get edited out last night? Night before?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had thirty six hours of you know, unadulted a week time to contend with my demons.
Speaker 1: What do you mean your demons? I mean it was an epic way to leave the show and everyone's going to remember you forever.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah no.
Speaker 2: But by demons, I mean all of like the keyboard mafia calling me more on Those are the demons, amen.
Speaker 1: Current you know who this people are. Those people are a picture of a cat or a crow. They can't do these shows. They couldn't apply. They can't come for you, mate.
Speaker 2: Oh, like this is what happens when it's like three am and you're bored and you're waiting for an X ray to happen, and you're like I was read Reddit and you're like, no, don't read readit, but not like yeah, but no, it's all good.
Speaker 3: Nah, I feel good better gooder. Now there you go. You feel gooder, yeah, gooder better.
Speaker 1: You were so good on this show, though, Like I just thought you were so confident, and you're so well spoken, and you were so articulate. And I walked away thinking, even though people will come for you with the way that you came out of this show, I think you're a very smart lady.
Speaker 3: I like to think so too.
Speaker 2: I think a large percentage of the time I'm quite smart, am I sort of like boneheaded and stubborn, absolutely, But like I think, like the baseline IQ sort of subdues the boneheaded stubbornness, but sometimes it comes out.
Speaker 3: We can't blame we can't be perfect all the time.
Speaker 1: Paully said something to me about it, because I spoke to Paulli after yourope and he was like, I know people are going to say something about the way in which current came out of the show. Any sitting on their couch at home understand how tired, how hungry, and how I can't over the turn of phrase that he used. But sort of like you are at the wick, you know, like you are not operating like a person who's just ordered a pizza and it's having a glass of wine watching an aeron twenty minutes of television.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: So like, even sort of the information I got was pretty much a minute thirty seconds into like going to tribal, and then you're just sort of going, okay, cool, these are the numbers. Wait a minute, she said, these are still one of the bizarre. That means they're on this side of the split. And then you get this sort of like split fatigue, and then you're going, Okay, who likes me? Who doesn't like me?
Speaker 3: Great? What am I going to do? How do I do this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Crap, I can't talk to anyone now because we're on the way to tribal. Okay, maybe you should just shut up.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's like.
Speaker 2: Just just keep your pie hole shut. And I was like, well, like, then if I keep my pie hole shut, I'll go to the next round. Then I have to grovel and beg and like, I'm.
Speaker 3: So sorry, aj My was ha ha ha. I'm back again.
Speaker 2: Please love me, even though I've you know, essentially ran a smear campaign against you for the last fourteen days.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I'll change.
Speaker 1: I was watching it, but I've done competition reality, so I know what it's like. And I think that when you're very stressed in those environments, things can change in a minute, and so it's very easy to let your emotions get the better of you. And in some other competition reality letting the emotions get the better of you works. But for this game and those people out there that study this game, they think you can't be emotional the way that you were. But I mean it could have very easily worked. I mean that's what Russian rule it is, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean that was like, so I got my read on that situation wrong in two parts. Like I understand that in hindsight, I didn't realize how close Kaylen was to ag like and that's a credit to Kaylen. Klein and I had a very very good relationship in the game.
Speaker 3: Wasn't shown very well. We had a very good relationship.
Speaker 2: We come from sort of similar sporting backgrounds, We sort of understand each other in a similar way as well. And I knew it would be hard to switch him on, but like I figured a knee jerk event was the only way to kip him over the age.
Speaker 3: But I didn't realize how.
Speaker 2: Entrenched he was with AJ and like it didn't make sense for Kristen and Logan to turn like it did not make sense given that Kristen was someone that I'd been protecting since Tribe Swap when it came down to like the hostage situations.
Speaker 3: And then like.
Speaker 2: Zara had built such a close relationship with PD, PD and I would have many chats across the map in TRIBESWAP as well, so I'd already built a relationship in that regard Logan, I've been sort of saving since the start in like Brain's one point zero, So it didn't really make sense for them to sort of put themselves onto a bottom of an already existing majority, like, which is why it sort of just went, hey, I've like I've given you zero like risk to you in this point, Like we can hit anyone, we hit anyone, I'm going to get like we'll give you an options. Because Miles seems to be the lowest hanging fruit that everyone wants to go for.
Speaker 3: We can go there.
Speaker 2: We can just hit aj and if he has an idol, it doesn't really matter because you still get me out in the process.
Speaker 3: So like zero cost you.
Speaker 2: I was hoping that it would sort of tickle the resume building side of their brains a little bit, to be like, you know, you're currently up against huge game players who are throwing wild moves back, left, right, and center, and now you've got an opportunity to put yourself into one and potentially turn the hierarchy in the game.
Speaker 3: Take it, Take it.
Speaker 1: I mean Kristin tried to help you, and I think that had Kristen's advice to you, if you just let that wash over you and just sort of changed a few decisions, you might have still been in the competition. But I also worry at this point for everyone that's left that's not Miles, who has a resume that everyone is going to vote for when we get to jury. That's what I want to know at this point.
Speaker 3: Again, it's really important.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you can so currently in the game, there are people that can pitch a.
Speaker 3: Very strong jury pitch.
Speaker 2: AJ can build an incredible jury pitch from what he's done, Yes, does it look like he's a bit chaotic, but he still managed to escape multiple attents at him, and.
Speaker 3: He can pitch.
Speaker 2: He's had the most audacious plan, which you know we were all part of, to take hostages, and he still pro survived to merge. He's still managed to sort of band a loyal army around him that are very reluctant to vote against them even when it's in their best interests. Miles has an incredible resume, which which is evident, and he's stacking up votes left, right, and center. We're looking at like quite possibly record breaking numbers for Miles at this point.
Speaker 1: And the weird thing is that I didn't like him to start with. I didn't enjoy him on the show for so long, and now he's been around for so long and he's pulled so many moves. I'm starting to think that he's queen beat, do you know what I mean? Like, it's so weird.
Speaker 3: It's the weird thing about.
Speaker 2: Miles is like, yeah, he's like it's so frontal when it comes to how he expresses himself, and it comes off across incredibly.
Speaker 3: Annoying at the start, and you're like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: But then you get to the crux of who Miles is and it's actually quite endearing, hilarious, and then like the word vomit you get sometimes when he goes off on a tangent is hilarious and also like great white noise. I remember asking him about I don't know. We were looking at the stars and then I got like twenty minutes of string theory and whether a photon transmits as a wave or a particle, and I went, Miles, it's two am.
Speaker 1: It's two am. I don't know what time it is, but it feels like I've been talking to you forever. I literally, Yeah, was it you that told him to keep his legs shut? At one point I thought that was iconic. It was like Marshall Heines on Australian Idol years ago. She was like, listen, honey, put your legs together. Was that you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That was very Miles legs.
Speaker 1: Them together, you know, And it's not something that we really hear often with people saying that to men. But do you know what one of my pet peeves is men that men spread? Do you know what I mean, Like men that sit there with their legs really spread. I'm always like, put that away. I don't know if you watch enough television or was watch as much as I do, but hay much Blake did it on Celebrity goggle Box and I got five minutes into the show and I was like, no, that's not it.
Speaker 3: You're taking far too much space less damn legs.
Speaker 1: What made you reluctant to join rejoin the graduates? Like I felt like you you didn't want to do.
Speaker 2: That, Like the graduates started because we were so tired of all of it was really nice at the start because we were just communicating. We were making all these plans and we would make like real brash decisions, but it was all like a good amount of communication.
Speaker 3: For example, like Asian.
Speaker 2: And I had raging insomnia at the start of you know, when we were on Brains and it was literally just the two of us talking of four hours because we couldn't go to sleep. And then you tack in miles to the conversation later on and we're like, oh, great, were oh I think quite similar.
Speaker 3: This is really fun.
Speaker 1: All of those people are way smarter than me, Like you're all above my pay grade.
Speaker 2: They're ridiculously smart, Like oh my god, like what are you?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, sure add me to the list.
Speaker 2: But like, I think the relationship breakdown was definitely like AJ and I like at the start we would communicate really well, and then he would sort of get this like wild idea and I'd go, no, AJ, that's not going to work because X, Y Z number exists, or how do you know, because I'm working with those numbers, you're not going to get them. And he's going, Okay, no, actually I can get them, and i'ment, no, you can't, Please don't do that, and then he would go do it, and I went, I told you so. I literally took it like this was like you know him. When he wanted to get out Logan, he came to me and I said, AJ, you don't have the numbers.
Speaker 3: Well, how do you know?
Speaker 2: Because I'm working with all four of the girls that you want to work with, they are not going to turn Oh but I can do it. Okay, go do it. Then comes back I can't do it. I'm like, great, now you've added yourself. Now I've got to save your ass by giving this like Kokammy story to Logan and be like, oh, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, like I've not heard this at all. He's not going.
Speaker 1: For you, except that that's all he's been talking about and wrote a novel about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then like we get to the next stage where Miles and I had a really good working relationship and the graduates had like, you know, almost seventy five percent formed, where Miles was like, great, I'm going to give you all of the information that's going from this bomb squad. So when AJ pulled this out of hat, I already knew it existed, and I'm like, well, Miles gave me all this information. You didn't who I've been talking to since like our twenty four of this game. It's okay, okay, cool, We're stacking more information. Then we get to tribe swap and I'm like, you're very like the hostage plan was just a conversation where Agent I went who do you want to get rid of? And both of us said the same names together and we went great. And then I said, okay, what if we offer up saving Ursula as like a like a peace offering to the likes of PD. And then AJ was like, well, why don't we just like reverse it? Make hold them hostage and then do it. And I'm like, well that sounds kind of comes, sounds kind of fun. All right, cool, let's do it, but let's like, let's maybe just set the scene a bit, create a bit of mood lighting, fake thunder, and then do it as opposed to just like hauling off straight in there being like I'm walking them off a plank and I'm like, okay, now everyone's mad.
Speaker 3: Okay, And then like.
Speaker 2: You'd get like filter fed bits of information, being like, man, I had this conversation with you, and now I'm getting like five different versions of you creating this back so like and then I'm stubborn and petty, and sometimes if I see an opportunity to be stubborn and petty, I'm gonna take it, just because that's who I am as a person. Like I don't like like at that point, it was just pissing off AJ, because I could piss off AJ and he would be just mad at me because it's irrational and logical, and he'd just be like.
Speaker 3: Why are you doing this.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, I'm doing it because it's funny. He's like yeah, but I don't get it.
Speaker 3: I'm like and like yeah, of course, like you know, like you don't like you can.
Speaker 2: Tell people you have an idol and whatever, but like you know, I was like, cool, lo, I was hanging fruit. I'm going to grab onto this and keep hanging onto this because nah. But yeah, maybe maybe that was sort of like my downfall as well. But yeah, that's why I like the graduates was like such a finnicky position for me, because I was just like, I don't know if I can trust you enough anymore. And as much as you say all these things to me, I see you forming these relationships with like Kate and Morgan. I see you going to other people like you're creating an escape route, and like, understandably.
Speaker 1: So was I.
Speaker 2: So if you're escaping everyone exactly, I'm like, you're creating a life raft out of the graduates. I'm creating a life raft out of the red graduates. So ipso facto, this is just convenience.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting as well is that I feel like with Kaylin and Kristen, they're like house pets that have now become like a problem. You know, when you go to people's houses and you realize that the pets are at the top of the food chain. You're like, how has this happened? He's a golden retriever and she's a kitten, like and they're somehow now contenders to win.
Speaker 3: It's Kaitlyn's game has been really understated.
Speaker 2: To be honest, like until I saw well, like the last episode where he's actively telling Jlpeter not tell us how far he was ahead of, you know, in the puzzle challenge, Like you know, Miles and I had the chat and we were like, I thought he was about a challenge like path puzzles we took like twenty five minutes because you know, I was like, I know how long I took to throw that down like sandbag, So I.
Speaker 3: Was like, why is he taking so long to finish this stupid puzzle?
Speaker 2: But now that was like an absolutely calculated move, and you're like, oh, well.
Speaker 3: Damn Klen okay.
Speaker 2: But then obviously, like when we were in Brains one point oh and Tribes what, there were moments where Klen would literally go out for a snorkel when we were doing Stratchat like would just be like no, no, no, you guys, give me a name and then just go off into the ocean and we're going But oh, okay, whether that's sort of like cool, you know, like absolute confidence and credit to him if you're like, I am so confident in my social ability, I do not even need to go into a stratchat.
Speaker 3: I don't need it. I'm that comfortable.
Speaker 1: What's interesting as well to me is about what you accuse people of doing in this game as a negative is something that everyone does by nature. I think, you know, accusing aj of changing plans, but you were changing plans as well, just about labeling people, I think and hoping that those labels don't fall on you.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, no, absolutely, and it's completely contradictory. Like the reason like I'm getting so upset is because, like I'm trying to counter all of the moves that he's making, and.
Speaker 3: It's very hard to predict when he keeps changing things, so I can't counter them. So I'm say, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Just do something in a straight line so I can actually mounted like a defense to this. In the same way that you know, when Paul got voted out, like you just have a sneaky suspicion, and which I did. I was like, Myles is going to try something, and Kristen's going to be the target because he doesn't want us dragging someone to the end. He wants it to be like this epic battle royality the end. That's what Miles and AJ want. He doesn't want Christen to get dragged. And I was like, all right, cool, you're going to target Kristen. Okay, okay, okay, but's this is so frustrating. Okay, great, whose numbers are you going to get xyz? Okay, we need to pitch this. Your brain hurts and keep hurting as well. And yeah, so of course, like, yeah, cool, call me a hypocrite. Yeah cool, I won't plan ABC, but I will also do you know, be one point five and be three point four. But that's just it. And at that point I was ready to run any smear campaign against Aj at that you.
Speaker 1: Know you're on the jury. Yeah, it's time to forget about the way in which your game sort of fell apart and start now admiring people for the way in which they destroyed you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and like AJ is an incredible adversary. The reason, like I had so much fun being irritated at him was it was just great to just throw stuff at him and you'd be like, a right, cool, great, follow that back and you're like, oh damn, he's good again, and it's fun, Like mil is fun to watch as well, and like that's why the jury is so great because you just get to watch it all unfold and go this is fantastic or oh my god, Karen's flaming out, idiot.
Speaker 1: The looks on everyone's face is Paully looks really bitchy at that jury, Like I don't know what was going on? Do you reckon that they cut up some really bitchy cups of him to make him look like that, Like he looked really mad, I know.
Speaker 3: But he's so hot when he looks mad.
Speaker 1: I call him sexy Jafar. How does that work for you? Yes?
Speaker 3: Or like you know Scarf from Lion King, like really the.
Speaker 1: Same person I didn't even like where we gives me like really.
Speaker 2: Hot in a kind of angry, sadistic way, and you're like, why am I attracted to you right now? I did not want to be You're mad at me, but like I kind of like it.
Speaker 1: I like it out of time, so like I've really got to wrap things up. But I ask everyone at the end of the podcast, like what is something from behind the scenes and I think at this point not everyone watches the clip that we get to see of you returning to the jury. So I guess a good question of behind the scenes for a lot of people would be what's happening when you get there? What was the dynamic? Like when you were reunited with Paulie.
Speaker 2: And Laura, Like, oh, I was like high key stressed because I went, oh, god, Laura's going to like put a hex on me, and like Paulie's gonna, I don't know, spit into my wine or whatever.
Speaker 3: And they just gave me straight up.
Speaker 2: Poker face as I sort of like what you know that mean where you're like, hey, guys, how you doing that one? And then it was just stone cold and then like Laura broke immediately, and then all I could like my favorite food like is carbonara and it was in front of me and I could not get more than like three fork falls in because like Laura was like, no, tell me this, break this down for me.
Speaker 3: What happened? Who told you? Blah blah this happened? X y Z what happened?
Speaker 2: Because you know, Paullie, bless his heart, was kept out of the vote so many times, like Man's had no.
Speaker 1: Clue he was out of the vote. So she's like, oh, hi, Paulie, how are you. I can't unpack anything because you had no idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Laura was just like tell me everything, and I'm like, oh god, yeah.
Speaker 2: So it was just sort of like me, like not eating a single thing and just Laura. But yeah, so much fun. We had so much fun. And that's the really important part of this scenario is that it's one of the best social experiments on the planet where we get to do ridiculous things to each other, lie, cheap, manipulate, steel, be an huge hypocrite and then magically we finished this. We come back to Melbourne and like, Laura is one of my closest friends. I love that girl to this. She has the keys to like the spare keys to my house. That's how close we are.
Speaker 1: You're never going to do anything in your life like this again. It's like going to far away the faraway tree, do you know what I mean? Like, yeah, things that we've learned about what's not appropriate, what's not social norms, and how to behave throw that at the window. Backstab, lie, cheat and steal, and you may be celebrated as a Survivor Icon. I want you to do me a huge favor, and that is that what you did on this show created a TV moment that people will talk about for a very long time at the end of the day. That is worth celebrating. I think you were fantastic in that and it was probably my favorite five minutes of this season. So while you didn't win, I'm sure you'll understand this the way that I do when it comes to applying and going on these shows. You gave us something. He gave us something to watch and it was amazing, and I want you to be proud of it and never back down and avoid the comment section.
Speaker 3: I will no thank you.
Speaker 2: That's actually really nice, and I think that's what everyone's just sort of tried to tell me. They're like, you're really zoning in on the ones that are calling you more on and like an idiot, and they're like.
Speaker 3: I did you have fun doing that? I was like, yes, I did. I had so much fun.
Speaker 2: Getting voted out was probably the best part of the game for me.
Speaker 1: That's all the matters. Those people are weird, And someone told me, for every one person that is bothered to write something nasty about you, there's one hundred people out there that loved and are obsessed with you. And I really, over the years of commenting on television, believe that theory because imagine the sort of person that has bothered to write something. And you know what, the people that get trolled the most, they get the ones that penetrate the mindset more, do you know what I mean? Like they upset the manutia or whatever it's called. They like get in there. And that's why these weirdos go because they know they couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing, Like, I know the relationships I have with these like my castmates, like and as much as they're like, oh.
Speaker 3: My god, they're being thir meat to each other, how dare she say that to him? I'm like, no, sure, Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: I got like stupidly drunk ones and tore my miniscas and who did I call at midnight? A J Like you know, that's one of my closest friends.
Speaker 1: I just ride back every now and again. I never ride back to anyone. I'm not saying that, but I ride back to them every now and again. I say, open up a window and let some airing. I've been sitting there in that dark room. Oh man, people, but you'll never meet I mean, come on, oh no.
Speaker 2: My thing is now to just send them to link to the Australian Survivor casting like link, just being like all.
Speaker 3: Right, here you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, how well will you go? You won't even make it past the written application because you can't spell. The people that would write the nastiest stuff about me, the one thing they all have in common was bad spelling, gramar and a bad attitude.
Speaker 3: Here's that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, enjoy chatting to the media and joy this moment. It is so fantastic and you were so fantastic And I just want to thank you for being so generous and chatting with me today and unpacking your experience.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for taking the time. It was really fun.