Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money the podcast. The next Personal Find is fun, especially on Fridays. It is our favorite day of the week. Also, Jess is because we're going to get to talk about Easter and who doesn't.
Speaker 2: Love a theme. Ah don't we all?
Speaker 4: But it's our favorite day of the week because it's our time to celebrate you. Ow incredible. She's on the Money community. Mister Gricci is going to be here with her Easter tips and the bunny vibes. She's also going to be sharing her favorite money wins from the Facebook group.
Speaker 2: We've got Beck who has.
Speaker 4: A number of different broad tips for you, and we're going to be helping to answer our money dilemma, which is this week all about whether you should invest in LICs and something that you slid into our dms about should you stay in a job that is dangling a big carrot that is not guaranteed? Before we get there, though, how have your weeks been?
Speaker 5: I think you should start Yes, East Joy, We're loving it. My favorite day of the year is the day after Easter when all the eggs go half priced.
Speaker 2: And this year Ferrero Rocher have an egg. Oh I haven't seen that. Wait for it. No, they have the mini eggs.
Speaker 4: Yes, and they aren't just like bits of Ferrero Rocher. They are Ferrero Rochet in an egg like it's got their filling in the office had them you weren't there. I ate a few extra for you, very nice. Don't say I don't do anything for you, but they were very good.
Speaker 5: I'll keep an eye out if anyone sees me at the shops at seven am the day after Easter. Room my bunny slippers. You know what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: I do not new bunny slippers actually, because bunny slippers are.
Speaker 2: Revived for the whole year. I agree.
Speaker 4: I agree my bunny slippers. I've gone to God. And when I say gone to God, I mean Lucy took one and had a turn and thought that it was a chew toy And yeah, I haven't ever recovered mentally from that.
Speaker 2: But that's okay. Beck. How's your week been? Are you are Easter bunny?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: I love Easter.
Speaker 5: Did you organize your hunt that you were going to do?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 6: It turns out a lot of people go away Easter weekend, yeah.
Speaker 5: Especially with the back to back long weekends like yeah, and so I'm like, you guys have next weekend, why go in this weekend?
Speaker 2: Anyway? But it's still a bit of fun, isn't it.
Speaker 6: And honestly, I think at this point I am still trying to rally the troops. I'm honestly just pulling strangers off the street at this point. But yeah, it's been a really really lovely week. I have done much, to be honest, I'm just chilling, just viban, you know, I'm just I'm just.
Speaker 2: Like trying to live, live, live, love laugh.
Speaker 4: I say it so quick that you think it's going to be easy, don't I yeah, oh yeah, absolutely. It's not easy to say live love laugh, It's really not. I've perfected that, how about you V. I'm live love laughing, and I'm excited for Easter. I'm actually really excited for a bit of a break. It is, I think the first Easter. So obviously, Harvey was around last Easter but was a tiny sweet potato. So did nothing and all I could do was dress him up in a bunny suit, which I don't regret for a second. And I have been trying to hunt down a bigger bunny suit that is equally as cute, but they aren't. Like last year, I got one from just Target and it was very cost effective. I can't find one that is going to cost less than fifty dollars, so he might be bunny suitless this year. I just can't justify it, like it just yes, Like, don't get me wrong, this is not me complaining about money, but like, fifty bucks is a lot of money to spend on a bunny suit that your kid.
Speaker 2: Wears once you know out of it.
Speaker 4: Ye yeah, Like that just seems like I'm flushing money down the toilet. But if you see me on Instagram with a baby in a bunny suit, it's because I had no self control. I haven't yet purchased one, but like, honestly, just don't be surprised. No, I'm really looking forward to it. I've had a pretty busy week this week, so I think that I'm just really looking forward to a few days off. And as I don't know as a business owner, but genuinely as somebody who owns a business, taking time off is great, But taking time off when you know your team aren't work it's a different level of relax because I just know that, like, no one's going to be like, oh, hey, V Like I know that you're x y Z, but I need an answer on Like, no one's going to ask me anything, and I don't have to like check in or anything. So it's just nice to have some shared time off with the team. So that's where I'm at. But yeah, and also this week was busy, but I didn't miss looking at our five star reviews and we are very lucky because we have another one that I want to share.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you ready ready?
Speaker 4: So this one's from Lily, and Lily says life changing five stars. I've been listening to She's on the Money for about two years now, and it has changed my life. I have paid off debts, changed my spending habits, and started investing.
Speaker 2: The girls are so much fun. Get this Jess.
Speaker 4: In brackets, it says, especially Beck, I love listening to every episode on my drives. About to leave on my first ever real holiday, and it's thanks to She's on the Money that I've been able to do this.
Speaker 2: Thanks girls, nice? Why do you have to put in brackets that Beck was the best one? Necessary details?
Speaker 4: Like when people rub it in they're like, oh, yeah, so what were you doing this weekend again, Jess?
Speaker 2: Oh well, I'm going on a holiday. Yeah, we already know. We know you told us ready. Everybody likes Beck the best.
Speaker 4: We know.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. People say that they I love that too. That's really cute.
Speaker 4: But Jess and I will just sit over here in the corner and eat for a roach chocolates if you can't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we see less because I have lots to say. Actually, the rest of the.
Speaker 2: Start is here, you guys, rest Do you love that?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Moving on, Jess does still get her own segment of the show, even though Beck seems to be at the moment everyone's favorite Jess. You get to go first to though. What are your community money wins this week?
Speaker 5: Alrighty, first day this week. I've got money win from Tina, who said she's renovating an old cottage which needs a new kitchen and bathroom. The budget is super tight, so she found a kitchen store that was moving locations to a biggest showroom. She asked if they were selling X display kitchens and they were, so she managed to score herself a twenty three thousand dollar kitchen for three grand. Oh what it still needed. It's a good deal. Wrapping on the cupboards and a bit of tetris work, but a huge money win. And then she said in another comment, she recommends calling around to local kitchen stocks, just asking if they sell X demo stocks.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, if you're smart.
Speaker 5: If you're going to do a reno, there's no harm in giving a buzz and seeing if you can maybe score yourself a bargain.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's so good.
Speaker 5: Next, I've got a money win from Chelsea, who said she accidentally bumped into another car in her building car park.
Speaker 2: Oh that would have been so stressed.
Speaker 5: She tapped it so lightly. Apparently she didn't even realize they reached out and got in touch with her. She said she was mortified and obviously offered to pay for all of the damage. They got a quote, and they let her know that they had previously done their own damage to a similar area of the car and just asked her to pay.
Speaker 2: Her the quote.
Speaker 5: Oh so, she said money. We didn't have a great lesson in kindness.
Speaker 1: On.
Speaker 4: Hold, I've just got questions. How do you run into someone's car not notice like, and how did they.
Speaker 2: Know it was Yeah? But how did they know a camera?
Speaker 4: Oh, if there's cameras, fine, sleigh, But she mentioned they got it on camera.
Speaker 2: Well, I mentioned that, did she? How how else would they know it was her? Exactly? How would they know?
Speaker 5: Victoria's like conspiracy because.
Speaker 4: Like immediately, like I just I was like, oh yeah, like if someone called me and said I'd run into their car immediately? So sorry, hold on, I think I would notice.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you don't know what are you mean?
Speaker 5: Sometimes you don't know you're accelerating and you're literally just like moving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think ping pong and now there I didn't realize it hot, Like if you hit something, you I mean, I don't know. All I know is I think it's conspiracy. I think it's a conspiracy. I think Chelsea shouldn't have paid anything.
Speaker 5: There you go anyway, she's happy the money.
Speaker 4: With Nope, I'm not. Now Now I'm like, I think they stood.
Speaker 1: Do you?
Speaker 2: I think you got scammed.
Speaker 5: Next, I've got a money in from Hannah, who said money win. Our hot water tank has been acting up and eventually stopped heating all together. I was this close to calling a plumber and had already started researching the costs to replace the entire thing, but she decided to dig a little bit deeper. She went through the manuals and discovered that there was a timer function that had somehow turned itself on, which meant the tank was switching itself off every night, and then it just wasn't turning back on in the morning. She said, she figured out how to fix it thanks to the manual, and just like that, it's working perfectly. Power doesn't cost a thing.
Speaker 2: What you men can do, it can't be that hard.
Speaker 5: Exactly how hard can it be? Next, I've got a money win from Amma, who said she's signed up to the Baker's Delight app and you get a free item, which currently is hot Cross Buns, which I thought would be perfect for orry this week. If you want to get yourself some hot Cross buns to take East Moore, sign up to the Baker's Delight up apparently, and you get one fore, but she did say she didn't realize your free coupon expires after two weeks, so she didn't know that she signed up run out when she went in to get the free item, she couldn't use it anymore. No, but the lovely people a Baker's Light apparently gave her the Hot Cross buns.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Okay, that's highness.
Speaker 4: I feel like I expect that from Baker's Delight, apart from the fact that they pay people like six dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Do they actually well, I remember you do, but like you do? Well, are you going to get a job in the future at Baker's still?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: On the side, are you maybe for the free bread?
Speaker 2: To be honest, you scream?
Speaker 6: I work at bakers absolutely, Little Sweet Tree. It was like when hayl Right, so you know, Matt from Hale Right did like, you know, without context, I'm going to say where people would work.
Speaker 4: If they had like regular jobs. Yes, and they said that I would work at flight Center.
Speaker 2: I reckon, you.
Speaker 4: Absolutely would be Baker's in the nine possible way. Also, Flower, little Iron, I would slay at flight Center. You are right, Come here, I will plan your holiday to I've got the spreadsheet, I've got the deals. We're getting some cash back on shop back as we're booking.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, you would not be going where you think you're going. No. No, and also better, I have good recommendations.
Speaker 5: Ask yess she is a great restaurant.
Speaker 2: Wreck Yeah, that's true, say less.
Speaker 6: And how you know even in as As Bakistan, you'd be like, oh, yeah, this is beautiful place.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But like I don't just research beck. I just don't google our good restaurant in Bekastan.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 4: But I'm looking up every single review. I'm looking at every single picture on trip Advisor. I filter out the ones that the company put up. We're not doing that. I'm only looking at the ones that guests uploaded, and then going on TikTok and looking up the hashtag.
Speaker 2: I'm looking up the company name.
Speaker 4: I'm looking up who has mentioned this, so that I can get a full experience and then I can be like oh yeah, actually I wouldn't go there.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 5: Last money when I've got this week is another egg themed one for everybody. Money win from Jamie who said we bought chickens before the price of eggs went up, and we haven't had to buy eggs in oods. Get yourself and friends that have chickens because my boyfriends mama has chickens and we always have eggs. And the chickens are really cute to cuddle. I love them.
Speaker 4: Maybe I need to start cutting deals with you to get eggs.
Speaker 2: You got eggs undergrounding and I did this week. I love that good.
Speaker 4: The heck Actually, be get a chicken as a pet, because yeah, very cute.
Speaker 5: You've got kids that are asking for a pet. Make it a chickens.
Speaker 2: It's a double it's a win win.
Speaker 6: My housemate about to get chicken so I can get Actually, yeah, how are you naming them?
Speaker 2: Pencil?
Speaker 5: And it was a great name, a great name.
Speaker 4: Right, what else have we got? Surely pencil is not going to be an only child.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 6: And we also have apple, apple and pencil, apple and pencils. I love this because of Michael Jackson. What did he calls child?
Speaker 2: Apple.
Speaker 4: I don't know no kid blanket like it's sorry, I think true who called her daughter apple Apple?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, which I still think again, I'm on my conspiracy theory. I think it's a fake name, Jessica, because like, what a better way than getting some good PR being like, I'm going to tell the world my kid's name is Apple.
Speaker 2: They're gonna believe it.
Speaker 4: Identity protected, good PR, good exposure, seriously trained.
Speaker 2: To I really am.
Speaker 4: I'm so skeptical of everyone today. Everything is a scam. Ye, everything is a scam. Also, maybe this is stemmed from we have a group chat for my Zeala Money team. We actually have a group chat for literally every team, but like the Zella Money one, we have had people trying to scam my team by sending phishing emails, which you I've got and they're like work tusk allocated and it's like to my team being like, Hi, Georgia, I'm just wondering if while I'm out of the office, you could do this task and like, obviously my team aren't idiots and I would never email you.
Speaker 5: I was just saying literally never and also hilarious they think that's how you talk would probably be like, hey, bitch, can you do it seriously?
Speaker 2: Literally? Hey girl, what's up?
Speaker 4: But I just I laughed so much, so I feel like I've been scammed since seven am this morning and being like, that's not me and my team are like Victoria obviously are obviously hilarious.
Speaker 6: Even an email from you. I feel like for the rest of your life, you'd be like, that's not that's actually not me. I can't really yeah, but like, if you work in my team, I don't email. Yeah okay, Like that feels too serious. Also, who has the time to type out an email when I could call you, voice note you message you like. I don't think I've ever requested anything via email unless I'm like, okay trauma dump. So last night at three am, I thought of a podcast topic and here are all my thoughts on it that at that point you get an email yeah that's yeah, okay, which when I'm like, hey, sir, so that's great to I feel like I've been emailing you for three months straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I have a great connection. Yeah, if you're a client, don't email me bye. Do you want to hear some broticks?
Speaker 4: I've never wanted something more in my life, but what's your first one? So this first one comes from Bianca. I actually stumbled upon this like a little TikTok. It was like how to coupon in Australia. It's an app called.
Speaker 6: Shping sing hp I m ging. That's very hard to say, but it's worth it. We connect brands and customers. This is coming from their website, by the way, because I can't fully figure out what's going on. We connect brands and customers through refreshingly rewarding shopping experiences all in one app with a full set of smart features. Up your shopping game and be that boss shopper that's always a step ahead of everyone. Spend less and earn more while sping to maximize what life has to offer. So it's like a couponing, like saving money, you're spending money. You're like from the TikTok I saw this girl was like taking photos or like kind of like scanning the product in her sping app.
Speaker 4: What are they doing not helping themselves rewards by shopping, which is rewards and I do like shopping, So it sounds like a good idea.
Speaker 2: Calling it sping though, was the choice? Yeah, that's it's a hard one.
Speaker 5: I guess that's the sound it makes when it scanned something that's true, and.
Speaker 2: It's like shopping without the op. I mean, we're not going to forget the name, so maybe they really have done something, or we'll only forget it. There's nowhere between. All right, Well that's a good first one. What's number two?
Speaker 6: The next one comes from Chevron, who says, one, uh, if you go to in particular rich neighborhoods, you can go anywhay you know where it's like hard rubbish or Yeah, that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: It is great. It's just great for and.
Speaker 4: You can look up their hard rubbish collection dates council websites too.
Speaker 6: And I have used this before just to I guess like furnish your own home. But Chavon recommends going picking up broken furniture on trash night, take it home, fixing it up, selling it or marketplace.
Speaker 2: Back to slaps the same. Yeah, just an old flip.
Speaker 6: And I didn't realize, but like I sold a couch the other day that was like, it's not a nice couch. It's a nice couch, but it's not like the best couch, and had like seven thousand messages for it, just because of the way I styled it in the photo. Really job, even if it's broken and you kind of fix it if you just like.
Speaker 2: You know, plants or whatever.
Speaker 4: I mean, what if you see a nice little side table on the road during hard rubbish, you don't even have to fix it up. You can just take it home, style it, you put it on Facebook, marketplace, bam, fifty bucks. Absolutely, sometimes people just can't be bothered with the efforts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just put it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like you can literally go to those council websites and look at what date their hard rubbish collection is.
Speaker 2: Go through little drive, go through a little wander so good, rude, not too.
Speaker 4: I mean, also, we need to bank it very clear that it is actually illegal to take stuff from hard rubbish. Sure, but I don't see anything.
Speaker 2: I'm Australian.
Speaker 4: That's very on Australian a weird rule. Like why it's weird, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but if you are to go through something that your neighbors had left out for.
Speaker 2: You to look through, exactly, Nay, But that's what I did.
Speaker 4: I just happened to coincidentally put it out on the same day that hard rubbish would pick it. Up the next stay, but I actually put it out early for you, Jess.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yes, that is such a weird arbitrary.
Speaker 2: Rute, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean you're good at illegal broke tips. So have you got any legal broake tips for us this week?
Speaker 2: You want a legal one? I want a legal one. I don't have to wrack my brain. I like the part.
Speaker 4: Where obviously we're not going to put illegal broke tips on the podcast, but Beck, you've tried a few and we've had to cut them out and I was like, but you cannot do that back and you're like, I'm don't tell any Well, I'm like, cool, I'll just delete that.
Speaker 6: If at any point you're listening and it sounds like there's a really jarring like cut in the audio, it just because.
Speaker 4: Beck was being hinged. Yeah, it was still good. But what have you got this week for us?
Speaker 2: So this week?
Speaker 6: I only thought of this yesterday because I was like, I need an account where my bills come out of, you know, and I don't have one of those. Before I start signing up for an account, a bank account, I'll check with all my friends seef as any because you know, Iron G always send me these literally I got one this morning. It was like a hundred bucks, few hundred bucks for your friend.
Speaker 2: So sign up.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, so to sign up to I love ang So you know, I just assume everyone gets those and so but.
Speaker 2: Then I thought also shot Back. My friend wanted to start a shot Back and I was like, wait a second.
Speaker 6: I almost died on the spot because she bout to download it and I'm like, no, no, no, I get forty bucks. You get ten bucks, which doesn't seem fair.
Speaker 4: But I was like, but it does seem like a good incentive to get you to get your friend to.
Speaker 6: Use your exactly exactly, so I would say before doing anything.
Speaker 2: I don't get forty bucks.
Speaker 4: Every time somebody downloads shop Back because it was my podcast, it.
Speaker 2: Does go down.
Speaker 5: We kind of deal so everyone got the extra money instead of us.
Speaker 2: Oh that that seems very nice. But it's so cute. But it's not forty bucks.
Speaker 6: Is that? No, it does go down like now it's like thirty bucks and then just get a little.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I think it's still nice.
Speaker 6: It's free money, and yeah, but I think, yeah, before we do anything about my advice is check if any friends or any family members have an account already. I'm sure there's some benefit ferral too you totally, yeah, totally, the same happens with credit cards, Building futilities, Yeah, building houses.
Speaker 5: Almost all of my friends have built with the same builder. So every time someone builds, you get like iron board is it's like a couple of hours and or something. I sorry what I think the they the person building, gets like money towards their building.
Speaker 2: That's not very broch tip of you.
Speaker 5: Just cool builders do it should be.
Speaker 4: On the front page of the Daily Mail for being unrelatable.
Speaker 5: Jessica person girl says, build house to earn five dollars. It's worth asking a lot of like a lot more.
Speaker 2: It's so true.
Speaker 5: A lot more places do it than you would think.
Speaker 6: Yes, totally totally. Every app you download from now on, just check, just check.
Speaker 2: So that's me.
Speaker 4: On the flip side, we're going to be helping to answer money dilemma, which this week is all about whether you should be investing in an all I see and you slid into our d ms about something. This week we're answering the question of should you stay in a job that is dangling a really big carrot in front of you? But it is not guaranteed. Guys, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve. The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career.
Speaker 2: And life questions.
Speaker 4: To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: She's on the Money. My question is about listed investment companies. My dad encouraged me to invest in an LIC, which I thought was an ETF. I was wondering if it's still worth investing in LICs anymore, and should I stop that and invest in an ETF. Love the podcast, by the way, Thank you.
Speaker 5: Ah, that's so nice, that's very kind. I mean, really honest, I have no idea what an LIC is, so so Beck's going to have to answer, Yes, you've got anything which is going.
Speaker 6: To beg what if you got I would recommend you google that.
Speaker 2: Hopefully that's perfect that's really good advice.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to google it, but I can just tell you about it suffice. So it's kind of like it's similar to an ETF, so you're kind of on the same track. I would say that they're much more popular with an older generation, so it kind of makes sense that your dad recommended them.
Speaker 2: Does that mean they're not good? No, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: They're just not as popular and there aren't as many of them. So essentially they're just a type of investment fund that you can also find on the ASX. So all ETFs and shares and bonds they trade through the AX and LICs are no different. But when you invest in an LIC, you're essentially buying into a diversified portfolio of assets that is managed by a professional team. You might go, well, that's an ETF, No, it is not. It is usually less assets than an ETF, and in an LIC you could get Australian shares or international shares, and it really depends on what that LIC or that listed investment companies focus or goal is. You often find that people are choosing LICs because they offer incidant diversification same as an ETF, regular.
Speaker 2: Dividend payments, usually kind.
Speaker 4: A bit of a set and forget approach if you're not somebody who wants to manage your own portfolio.
Speaker 2: They're also close ended, so.
Speaker 4: That means that there is a limited number of them available, so like once that amount of investors is capped out, you can't get into that LIC, which is a little bit different than an ETF where you're purchasing and usually there's a lot more of them to go around, and it can make pricing a to a bit different than ETFs, which are open ended. LICs can also trade at a premium or a discount to their net asset value, so that's like something to keep in mind before you jump in. So what I'm trying to say basically is they do carrying more risk than an ETF because they're often trying to beat to the market instead of match the market when it comes to their investment returns. So you know how we say, you know, I want average returns, and a lot of people will be like, Vie, that's so dumb, like and we're just talking about my personal investment strategy here, not about like what everyone should be doing, but like when it comes to my personal investment strategy, like I've started investing young, I actually don't want to rock the boat. Like I'm a very conservative, aggressive investor, so I'm picking like try true blue chip stocks, but I'm investing a lot, so I'm quite aggressive in terms of what I'm holding. I don't like holding casher like holding ETFs at investments, right, But an LIC is a bit more risky, so you've got to weigh that up. And just like any investment, like it's so important to understand how it's going to fit into your broader strategy and do some research. But like they can be a good long term option for a lot of people, but again more risk, more return, and something that is not as popular as an ETF or a managed fund. Essentially, that answer the question, I'm satisfied you guys seem nabbed so that I have explained what an L I see is to you. I'm still wrapping my brain around that little bit.
Speaker 5: I think I'm digesting, you know.
Speaker 4: So it's essentially a more high risk version of an ETF with less stuff in it, Jess, same idea as a basket of shares, Like, same concept. You're diversifying your risk, but you are taking a bit more risk because you're hoping that this will return more for you than it would if.
Speaker 2: You were in an ETF.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So if you've done your risk profile and that aligns with what you want to do, great, But they're not usually that popular because on average, if you look at the returns, they end up being relatively similar to an ETF in terms of returns. And that doesn't mean that the goal is different, Like the goal is to outperform the market, but like I can set that coal, I want to make shitloads of money too, doesn't mean I'm going to so often you've got a way up. Is it worth taking more risk to get more return or is it just tried?
Speaker 2: True, steady, keep on keeping on.
Speaker 4: Sure, Okay, you got answer. I feel like that me being like okay, so yeah, I think I.
Speaker 2: Get that because in my head it's like tortoise in the hair.
Speaker 6: It's like one road is like chaotic and like fun and like up and down, and then the others like slow and steady, and but.
Speaker 2: You get there safely. You both get there.
Speaker 6: There, you get there and like the same time, ish you both kind of get the same reward over time.
Speaker 5: The very nictionality from you back, thank.
Speaker 6: You so much. I know that the tortoise gets there faster. It is the actual point of that story. But in this story we end up in the same place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but also in the investing world, I'm so happy to be the like I really am. Like, I think that there's so much information out there right now, especially because we know what's going on with the US market and Trump and everyone's got an opinion, and I just think that I'm not looking to blow the lights out.
Speaker 2: I'm actually looking to keep my lights on forever.
Speaker 4: And for me, it's about tried and true and steady, and even though the market is down, I'm not changing my investment strategy. And I think that this is a good lesson in like, hey, there's another investment option out there. Consider it work out if it works for you. But if it does work for you, you'd be wanting to commit to it for the long term, not try it out for a month or a year and then change.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ship into the GCDM for the week.
Speaker 4: If I have been looking forward to this one because I love a bit of goss. I love a bit of drama, and I feel like that's what this story has. Someone DMed us this week. You ready yeap Hi cheese. On the money, I'm stuck on a money dilemma. My husband just got offered a new job with way better pay enough to take some serious pressure off us right now, but he only took his current job because of the employee share scheme, and if he leaves now, we lose it completely. We've made a lot of sacrifices for that plan, turned down other offers, tightened our budget, all in the hope that one day it would pay off. And if the business sells like we think it might, it could seriously change our lives and we could retire early.
Speaker 2: But it's not guaranteed.
Speaker 4: He wants to take the new job, and I get it, but part of me wonders if we're giving up on something huge right before it happens. I'm usually a logical one, but I don't want to look back and regret it if the sale goes through. Help what would you do? Got a few thoughts.
Speaker 6: The first one is like, did this person's partner were they actively applying for jobs? Or do someone just like say, hey, do you want this job?
Speaker 4: You know, I think a job's popped up and it's like a very good opportunity, Like if he's a good employee, could have been tapped on the shoulder and been like, hey, mate, heard about you.
Speaker 2: Could have been okay. I mean, let's assume that because.
Speaker 6: There are two ways to look at this, and in the first way is that he was actively looking for a job because he's miserable where he's at, or he's like scared, or he's like either way, like it's not doing very well for his mental health. In that case, in any situation, I'm like, absolutely prioritize mental health and happiness and well being over anything, including money, no matter what. Well, maybe there are some things that depend on that, but anyway, that's one route. But if it's like you guys are comfortable, everyone's happy, just chillin'. It's probably a little bit tight, but you can make it work. And someone just said, oh do you want this, then I would stay. I would stick it out. I would be like, this is kind of cool, like you could retire earlier. I don't know what the hell this is, but it sounds incredible, Like if you if there are so many opportunities, I would stick it out. If you're comfortable, if you're okay right now, even if it's a bit tired, but you've been doing it, Like, just keep doing it, you know what I mean? And then just like maybe it seems like our listener's partner has a lot of you know, skills and is in high demand, so I wouldn't worry too much about boy. Yeah, I would be like, just keep trying, and then if you gets your point, we're like, Okay, we really got to get out of this. Then I doubt that they'll have problems trying to find a new job in the future. What is it an employee share scheme? It's where you join I like that. You're like, hold on, I've got all this advice. Wait what am I giving advice on.
Speaker 4: It is basically where if you goal and work for a business, they pay you, but more often than not, they're not paying you a blow the lights out salary, but they should be for that role. But instead they're offering new shares in the company, but only if you stay. So if you leave the business, you don't get to keep the shares. They would take them back. But if you're an employee at the time that that business sells and you have the employee share scheme, you would be paid out.
Speaker 2: For those shares.
Speaker 4: Whoa Okay, So like it's a good idea in theory, Jess, what would you do?
Speaker 5: So maybe it's a different setup. But in some employees share schemes, usually there's a point at which they vest.
Speaker 2: Right can be it they're vesting shares or non vesting shares.
Speaker 5: Because I personally just don't see the appeal. So vesting is like when it becomes yours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So like it's like in trust or it's like promise. So you could see the word vested as like it's promised to you, but it's like a legal promise, so it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So like I could say to you, hey, bet, come work for Shees on the money. I'm going to give you fifty percent of the business, but it's not going to be your business unless you work for me and it all works out between you and I for three years and then we would have a document between the two of us and after three years, if everything is sunshine and roses, automatically you get fifty percent of the business. But if you got fired before then you quit before then, well that document is now null and void.
Speaker 2: In those shares should become yours.
Speaker 4: But vesting is essentially a legal promise, like I promise to give them to you, but not yet.
Speaker 2: And then after the three is whether you stay or leave, there's your.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which is what I was gonna say, is like I just don't really see the appeal of like, oh, like you own shares in this company and if it sells while you're here, Like, I don't see my anyone say yes to that, because what are the chances of the.
Speaker 4: Companies do Like I've seen it he czy to me. People get sold dreams by people who are taking advantage of that. I've also seen people who were promised shares then the business gets sold and they say, sorry, that wasn't legally documented. And I don't care about burning that relationship with you catch you BUYE.
Speaker 2: It's actually insane. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think my advice is if the stability and better income and improved quality of life right now is a value to you, that might actually be worth more than waiting on a maybe Like you're telling me that you're going to earn more money now, so like how much is this?
Speaker 2: You're going to get a million dollars?
Speaker 4: Like you did say you could retire early, but like maybe retire early, like really I don't know how much company sells for as well exactly, And like what if you use that increased income that you're getting from this new job to create wealth like yourself and like your own version of wealth On the flip side, I think it might be worth asking your partner like what do you want? And then what do I want? And like how do we both feel at peace with this decision? Like what's the best thing here? Like, yeah, as your husband actually had a proper conversation with his employer about the shares, like cool, do I lose them? Do they vest? Like what's going on here? How does that work? Like is there any flexibility with the scheme if he left? Like or is there any flexibility for a pay rise now? Because clearly things are tied otherwise I wouldn't be asking, yeah, like what does a financial plan look like? Like I think the conversation is a bit more open because you know, I don't offer that in my businesses, but hypothetically if I did, and then I found out that Jess hated working at she's on the money, Like how much do I want her sticking around and bringing.
Speaker 2: Down the vibe?
Speaker 4: Like you don't idea that, like you know, if she's unhappy, she's probably bringing down the vibe. She's doing all of those things, but she's sticking around because she technically owns part of the business and doesn't want to lose it. Ye, Like, honestly, I'd prefer Jess to go and keep part of the business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, depends on the size of the company. To the right, it's like a big company like Apple, for example, on a employee share scheme. I don't know what the differentiation is, but you can also purchase shares at a discounter price right under an employee share scheme. So it's kind of like, if it's a big company, that example you're giving is probably less applicab because there's ten million bodies on the ground where totally. If it is, like you said, a small team, then maybe not as much. But what did everybody else say?
Speaker 4: Yes, So we asked what would you do if you were our community member. Forty two percent of you said you'd take the safe job, sixteen percent of you said you'd stay, forty one percent said it was too hard to choose.
Speaker 2: We asked what would you regret more, and.
Speaker 4: Fifty two percent of you said wasting years for nothing. Then twenty percent said no regrets, just lessons, fourteen percent said walking way too soon, and thirteen percent said I actually regret everything. And then, honestly, the advice in our DMS was very similar to what we were saying, like talk to your company, have a chat, like I'd suss out what the company payout is, like what's the business like worth. Then a lot of people will like, don't forget about like sunk cost fallacy. Honestly, it helps in similar situations like just because you've invested time and there is an opportunity doesn't mean it's the best. And then someone said, you can't eat equity for breakfast, and I think that that is a very good place to leave it.
Speaker 2: So it's been good, live, love, laugh, guys.
Speaker 4: But have a happy Easter and we'll see you bright early on Monday morning for Money Diary.
Speaker 5: Bye guys, hoppy Easter, You're so cute.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS, TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 4: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheper Pty Ltd a BN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine