Speaker 1: My name's Satasha Bamblet. I'm a proud First Nations woman and I'm here to acknowledge country. Te Glenn Young Ganya Niana, kaka ya Ya Binahwaka nian ur gay In Mbini, yakarum Jar Doumayagumika Umaga, Ihowaka Nilewaman damon Immalan, Bumba bang Gada, boma In and now in waka ghana on yak rum jar Watanadaa. Hello, beautiful friends, we gather on the lands of the Aboriginal people. We thank, acknowledge and respect the Abiginal people's land that we're gathering on today. Take pleasure in all the land and respect all that you see. She's on the Money podcast acknowledges culture, country, community and connections, bringing you the tools, knowledge and resources for you to thrive.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. Hello and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that makes personal finances fun. You've called us at our favorite time of the week. That is right, my friends. It is Friday drinks time where we get together and celebrate you our very money savvy community. I am Victoria Devine and while Jess is away I'm going to be sharing some money wins from the feed and joining me today is miss Beck, sayed, the brain's behind our weekly broke tips. Beck, are you excited to.
Speaker 4: Do a V and B?
Speaker 3: I am, I'm scared, but I'm excited. Well, it's better than the B and J just like alphabetically speaking. No, you're so right, absolutely like it could have been a slippery slope. But guys, this is a g rated money podcast. I am more used to V yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's true. That's true. And I'm more used to b ah genders. Let's not let's not talk's let's move on in true Friday form, Beck, where you are going to be discussing a couple of timely money dilemmas concerning our community members debt, including how to get rid of it and whether you should I think that could be a little bit saucy, right, And if you've got a salacious dilemma to share with us, or a pressing DM that needs answering on our podcast, please send it through. We don't just want to reply to your dms. We get so excited to reply to your dms. And if your DAM involves a little bit of cheeky side gossip that we're not involved in, but we get to hear about Beck. Are we there? Oh my god, I so there? With bells on. Anyway, we accept love letters in our inbox and voicemails on our website. Simply hit the podcast page and leave your message after the beep. Speaking of beep, it is time to This is so lame, but it is time for us to toot our own horn. Oh my god, I was wondering how you would work it in. That's I try. Maybe I'll try harder next week.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 3: It is time for our five star review Beck. And if you're a longtime listener and you reckon that that she's on the Money Show is a bit alright, Like I reckon, it's time for you to leave us a review because you know what it does. I actually don't know. It's kind of like it makes our day. It does, it makes our day. But I know that there's some kind of podcast algorithm. Yes, and like if a podcast has lots of good reviews, the algorithm goes, oh, that's quite like a good thing. We should be pushing this to more people who need to hear it. Yes, and then that's good because I guess we make more friends, make more friends. I love friends. That's so true. But literally, like it helps us somehow through the algorithm you mostly, Beck helps our egos exactly, and that's arguably the most important thing. And we love to read our reviews, not the one star ones. We do read those. They do definitely get the screenshot and shared in our group chats. They hurt. Yeah, but sometimes you're like, babe, thanks for the one star review that Victoria's voice is annoying. Oh but I can't do anything about that, and like painful. I don't know about you, Beck, but when I was growing up, my mum always said that you should never ever give somebody feedback about themselves that they can't change within ten seconds. Yes, so like, I'm not going to talk to you about anything unless you're like, you've got something in your teeth. Yeah, you could fix that immediately, for sure, that's quite helpful. For sure. Oh you've got something on your face, Oh, let me help you.
Speaker 5: But also, as a listener of podcasts, I understand the frustration of being like irritated by someone. But also if you're not forced to do it, then don't worry.
Speaker 3: Just like, don't do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, the craziest thing about this show is it is entirely consensual. Yeah, Like, you choose to be here, and if you don't want to be here anymore, guess what, Beck, Well you can opt out. Well that's crazy. Anyway. Anyway, would you like to hear a five star review from a friend called Ruby? Yes? Please? Okay? Ruby says, I just had to write to say a huge thank you. I've only just started listening to this podcast for the last two months, and I've learned so much about finance, and I've signed up to do all of your courses. I've redone my family's budget, and I've even emailed to see one of your mortgage brokers. But the biggest thing I've taken from your podcast is after listening to the episode about the Lady who loved to Tech, and then the following podcast about jobs, I decided I no longer wanted to just be my husband's occasional admin helper and instead completely redid my own resume. I wrote a cover letter just how Victoria said, and thought about my life skills that I've gained as a mum of three. I've already been asked to do three interviews in three completely new industries. To me, I feel like your podcast has given me so much confidence and possibly even in New Korea with a seventy five thousand dollars earning potential that will not only get our family to our dream home quicker, but into shares and all. Thank you so much. Oh my god, it's amazing. That's so cool. Literally, like and you know, I don't know this person at all, but no, but I love, Like I don't know you, but I love.
Speaker 5: I love honestly, this is that amazing, Like we genuinely it's so happy because you could have, you know, just maybe not had your own things to fall back on just in case something went awry, and now you.
Speaker 3: Do and that's incredible. But also just I love that you heard what I was trying to put out because I didn't do a whole podcast on the fact that I think that people who have taken time out of the workforce to you know, look after kids or even in caring roles, like I've got a friend at the moment who's just exited the workforce to look after an aging grandparent, and I just I think that's so special. But as I said to her, like what skills are you gaining? How do we quantify this? Like, if you have three children, I'm sorry, you know what you're really good at? Time management? Oh? Yeah, you know what you're good at conflict resolution. Like there's just so many things that you can say. Look, if I can deal with three kids, I promise you I can deal with a nine to five for sure. Like, there is just so much And I think that so many times we've fed this narrative that you're not good enough, you're not worthy enough, you've been out of the industry, Like, especially in roles where the industry is relatively fast moving, you're often pushed to the side really easily, like marketing for example, Like, oh, well, marketing's changed and since you've left, social media has taken off, etc. Etc. And you're just like, yeah, but I'm not an idiot. Do you really think that I haven't been watching social media in my downtime?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like, girl, you have so many skills, just put them on paper. You absolutely can do it. That's amazing.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: I just I'm so excited that we're bringing you one step closer to like financial freedom. Yeah hell yeah, but also that confidence you're like I did this and then I did this, and then I did that, and like you don't even have to have any money yet and you feel better about yourself. Yeah, hell yeah, that's so so cool, all right, berck. Now, of course we need to seguay away from that, because it is time for the Question of the Week, that moment where we sift through all of your non financial questions and pick the best one each week to ask each other. And this one comes from a friend called Jamie, and Jamie asks, if you had a theme song play when you walked into a room, what would it be? Oh my god, I actually know this, do you? Because I just I felt it this song in it song from Eurhythmics. There must be an angel. I don't sorry, thank you so much. There must be an angel, as Beck walks in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's and I know it sounds very like vain, but it's not. It's not directed inwood. It's like there must be an angel.
Speaker 3: Like it's like the world around.
Speaker 5: Me feels magical. Yeah, okay, I love something like that. Anyways, it and it doesn't make sense right now, but this no.
Speaker 3: But I will listen to it. I'm confused about what mine might be. It just reminds me of a time that happened this year when and I do apologize if you were at this event or you organize this event, because I didn't love this part, but I loved being at the event, so please don't cancel me. I was doing a speaking event. There were hundreds of women in the room, right, really cool opportunity. I get up to walk on stage because they're like, uh, Victoria is the keynote speaker, Like cool, my time to shine and they stop playing Katie Harry Raw Okay, was just like, oh, in this moment, I would rather die, like like.
Speaker 6: And you're gonna hear me, yeah, And I'm just like oh oh, and like that just felt like so stereotypical, Like it gives me, like I don't know, two thousand and nine Girl Boss vibes of like oh it.
Speaker 3: Just okay, it's so not me. What about this girl is some fire that's just as bad? That is horrific. Okay, that is horrific. Like I feel like the song that I'm thinking of is like I'm walking on Sunshine. Oh that's called like something fun, like something fun, something like you know about the vibes as opposed truly about me. As an individual. Oh yeah, yeah, yes, the raw thing girl I wanted to You have to embrace it and be like yeah, yay woo, because you're not going to bring the vibe down of your own keynote present. But also you'd be like, hey, like, why was that my sting song? You know, totally, that's so funny.
Speaker 5: It's so funny that also in this way, to see how people perceive you, Like, it'd be nice to know what other people think your theme song is, because yeah, and that in the Spotify.
Speaker 3: Comments, we'll read that one this way exactly. What's the She's on the Money theme song specifically for each member of the team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then let us pick you as well. It's like, what color are you? I feel like it really paints a picture.
Speaker 3: What color are you? I don't know color I am? But I know what color you are? Oh yeah, what color am I? You're like a regal purple and gold? What?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're quite regal and also classy and also like I don't know how.
Speaker 3: To explain it, but you're like mother, Oh yeah, I appreciate you. You're green? Did you know that you were green? What's gorgeous? I didn't know that, but that's that's beautiful, like not because you're wearing green, but like earthy and wholesome and like I don't know, like like the grass, like you just want to like roll around in the grass, like I don't know. Green is good. That's so sweet. Things like green light, green light, bring like green flag like all of that. Thank you for not picking red. Oh my god, of course I appreciate it. I just I feel like there are so many fun possibilities and so many questions that we could dive into. But people have mostly come here because they want to hear finance topics and like dms and stuff, so maybe we should get into that. So anyway, put your suggestions for our color and our song into the Spotify comments section. But we also want to hear what Jess is, Yes, we do. What do you think Jess is yellow?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Jess is yellow? For sure? You agree? Yes? And also like a mauve pink? Oh yeah, like a really like like soft purple okay, yeah, like lavender like softer. Oh my god, it's so cute, isn't she cute? We are on the same page here, Yeah, what's her song? Well?
Speaker 5: I don't want to go tailor swift because she's obsessed with tailor swift. But something like that, something that's like upbeat, like exactly like this Sunshine song. You know, Yeah, I reckon she's walking on sunshine too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Moving on from that, let's get into this week's money wins from our community. And I have picked them this week, so I hope they're as good as Jesses. Okay, right, Beck. First one, I love this because it just feels like a very she is on the money money win. Grace says, I hit fifty thousand dollars in my savings. Amazing. I started it ten years ago and I've slowly been chipping away at it and I've finally achieved it. Oh my god, it's amazing. Isn't that phenomenal? Like literally so exciting. But what a big feat I feel like after ten years. Yeah, so many people give up and it's just anyway, I love it. Another one, this is from Emily. Emily said, I've needed a new fan for a wood heater for years, and at three hundred dollars, we put up with it. Just being wowed. My husband's dropped off our old dryer at the metal recycling place to see the exact same heater sitting there, so we pulled out the fan. One man's trash really is another man's treasure. Hell yeah, how good's that? That's so good?
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 3: I saw one of my girlfriend's post that she went to the tip shop in Mornington the other day. Oh my god, the tip shop. Did you know that there were tip shops? I didn't know, but I didn't know there was one in Mornington. Well the more you know, I literally was shook because I didn't know that tips had shops. And then she's showing all these things that were for sale at the tip shop and I was like, sorry, in my head, Beck, it's at the tip shop because someone was about to throw it out?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: What the hell? Why was there so much good stuff about to go in the bin? What are you guys doing? Why wasn't that donated? I know, it's so crazy. I mean, see that hard rubbish. A lot of good things, but hard rubbish. I fear like you put something out in the hope that someone will grab it, like, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: Next one, Christina says, and I feel like this is one that you won't resonate with because whenever you go to the pub, Beck, you order a water, but she says, I keep this wine lid and she's like, put a picture of a wine lid up in my handbag on the occasion that we just don't finish the bottle of wine we've ordered at the pub or the club. Might only be a glass, but it's better in my fridge than wasted. And they always seem to take the tops. Yes, so true. Okay, that's a diabolical that, like they just take the lid away and the hope that like you won't take it. Yeah, weird. We have a new commentor, Carson. Carson says, I'm a first time commenter and I want to share my money with shopped at Woolworth's this week. It came to a total of three hundred dollars. Then I scanned my partner's Everyday Rewards card and we got a total of fifty dollars off between points, worker discount and shopping savings. Wow, isn't that a good deal? Yeah, that's great. Also, welcome to commenting. Welcome all right, another one and I'm gonna leave this as my last one. This one's from Rebecca and she says, Okay, guys, I've been waiting for this. My skill Share free trial was ending and I didn't want to pay for full price for a subscription, so I emailed and asked if they could extend my trial or offer a discount. I scored fifty percent off for the year, and I saved a total of seventy eight bucks. If you don't ask, my friends, you don't get Oh incredible, isn't that so good? But like very she's on the money. Coded. If you don't ask, you don't get Like, what's the worst thing that can happen if you ask?
Speaker 4: Beck?
Speaker 5: Honestly nothing? And then these people are going to see you again. Like you don't have to worry about being awkward or shy because.
Speaker 3: Also they're just going to say no, and you just be polite and go thanks so much, friend, exactly like, oh, no worries, full stop. End of story. I'll go about my day and cancel my free trial. That's it, exactly all right, Beck, we are segueghing into your broke tips. What have you got to share this week? Okay, so first up, I have I know that I've mentioned this name before. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 5: They have the exact same name enthusiastic Arugula, is it actually, it actually is, but it's the anonymous one, and so I I with the anonymous.
Speaker 3: Steff guys, own your comments. I want to know who you are because I'm really creepy. I only want to connect.
Speaker 5: We want to connect, and so I am a little bit more I'd say liberal when it comes to reading out anonymous, but I.
Speaker 3: Will try and tighten it up. So enthusiastic Arugula said, I ordered my kids Guzman.
Speaker 5: Egomez for dinner a couple of days ago. Down out of the app and I checkout, it said to click for a free breedo. Instead of a free breedo. It took the cost off my cart. So what should have cost fifty dollars fifty ended up costing me thirty cents.
Speaker 3: The story money win.
Speaker 5: I know, if you haven't already got the app, sign up and take advantage of this offer, which I do know because I do have the app.
Speaker 3: It is really good.
Speaker 5: I feel like there's constantly little offers like I'm always either getting something free or something it's like cheap or something like that.
Speaker 3: That's me in the macas app. Yes, the macas app, and I ty I have not dabbled in that yet. But I need to stop talking about the Macas app though, because Macis is a huge corporation that could be sponsoring this. Imagine, I know, Macca's money Wins or something. Yeah, what the hell, because you know what's a money win? The fact that macas brought back the fifty cent cone. Oh my god, did they bring that back? They brought that back? Well it's about bloody time exactly. But also they're just girls, like they know that in a cozy Livis situation, you know what's going to light us up inside a fifty cent cone? Exactly. We don't have that much money, you guys. But also we deserve sweet treats. Yeah, we really do. Now they're accessible again.
Speaker 5: Okay, So this next one comes from Jen who says if you insert your card instead of tapping your card, then you kind of get rid of the additional fee. And I did google it to see like, do you get like a Karlie if you insert? And it was like, no, you don't get like the additional card fee on top of the card fee.
Speaker 3: When you I had no idea that was a thing. I know, is that crazy? I didn't know either. That's diabolic hall. Actually, isn't it cheek That is cheeky and sneaky and really rude.
Speaker 5: It is, so don't tap anymore insert, go back to insert. They could all seem like innuendos, and I promise they're not.
Speaker 3: And then but this isn't the b n J show.
Speaker 5: This is the BnB show exactly right, So a lot more inclusive now, my one. And I know this sounds crazy, and I was a little bit too shy to do this because it's insane, but I measured the amount of dribble that comes out of the petrol hose.
Speaker 3: You measured her, I did.
Speaker 5: I had to take a friendly because I was too scared to go alone. I'm scared someone's gonna yell at me. But I did measure it.
Speaker 3: I was like, wow, well, I just got like a little you know when you like, so I filled it up and then I got like a little plastic like a urine sample cup almost like yeah, exactly, like a plastic cylinder and like, and then I pulled it out and then just like let it dribble in there, and I waited for a little while.
Speaker 5: It was about fifty mill which is like who cares, but what I'm saying is instead of pulling it straight out. I know a lot of people do do this. They give it a little shake and they wait, ah huh, saying stay.
Speaker 2: There for as long as you can before you're like, okay, I've really got to get home with my life, right, Say there for as long as you can, because that small amount will add up over time you can.
Speaker 3: Get a whole free tank. That's true. You were right. That was full of innuendo. That was really like I wasn't sure if I was in sex ed or if I was talking about the bowser. You know. Anyway, that's really good tip, Beck, and I am so glad that you shared it. Thank you. Is that where we're ending broke tips this week? Unfortunately, that's it. I'm really grateful. I'm really grateful for those of you who want to follow along to bes how to get pregnant guy. We'll announce that in the second segment of this show. But we're going to go to a really quick break and on the flip side, we're going to dive straight into our questions. My friends, welcome back. It is time for our weekly dilemma, and this one might feel particularly relevant. Actually, if you have a little bit of heex stet. Hi, there have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the Money Team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi, She's on the Money Team. I have a question about tax and hextet. I have a hex stet in the forty thousand ish range, and obviously I've been paying that back whilst I was working full time. I'm now a mum of two and I work part time, so my annual income I believe doesn't sit over the threshold for repayments to the HEX. I do salary sacrifice at work working part time. I think that I'm still putting money towards my HEX debt, and then come tax time, I just get it back in a nice little tax return. But I've just had a thought and I'm wondering for some advice on whether I should actually be taking that tax return and still putting it towards my hex stet at the moment where enjoying the large tax return that I get. But then I guess I'm never really paying off my hex step. So if I continue to work part time for a really long time and never pay off my hex stet, theoretically once we sort of, you know, retire, I guess, and I still have a hex step, do you then just have to pay it off in a bulk amount or do you just continue to pay it off even in retirement. Any advice on whether I should just be paying it off now anyway would be great. Thank you.
Speaker 3: What are your thoughts on this? Back?
Speaker 5: Honestly, up unto the last moment, I was thinking like, oh my god, don't pay it off like it dies with you, So.
Speaker 3: Just like leave it sort of thing. That's kind of how I feel. And obviously we can't give you advice on what to do, but we can talk about how we feel about it. Do you still have hextet? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I still got hextet, And like it's more just annoying. I don't actually know how much I'm paying on it. I don't think it would be that much, maybe like thirty bucks of paid cycle or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you have to pay the minimum. Yeah, And so I'm like, oh, I'm not too worried. Honestly, it does fee annoying. So I don't actually have a degree true for it.
Speaker 5: But I think that in this case, when you start talking about the retirement thing, like once you start getting your you know, super and things like that, do you have to start paying it off or do you have to pay it off? I don't know about that, but otherwise I would just leave it because it really, in my mind is kind of like inconsequential.
Speaker 3: That's how I feel. So personally, I have not contributed even a dollar more to my hex than I have needed to. I've always paid the minimum and come tax return time. Just because of the nature of my work sometimes I have to pay a bit more and like that's fine, but for me, it's not ever inhibited being able to buy a property or save or invest. And I look at that debt not as a bad debt, not as a good debt. It's kind of like an okay debt. She sits in the middle because it doesn't accrue interest, but it does it crue like indexation, right, Like it's indexed every year. So at the moment, because indexation is much higher, I feel like we care a lot more about it because you know, all of a sudden, it's not like one or two percent, it's like four and a half percent. You kind of go ill, ill, No, I don't. I don't like that at all. Like maybe I should be paying this off, but I would probably choose in your situation, to zoom out and look at the bigger picture and go, well, what do I actually want to achieve? Like what is this money going towards? Like if I was to pay that off, what am I compromising in the rest of my life? Because like, some people just don't want debt. And I totally understand that because for a very long time I was really stressed about my hex debt and what it would mean until I became super financially literate and I was like, oh, hey, I actually like if I have a dollar and I want it to work for me, I'm going to be presented with a number of different options. I could put it in a savings account for a certain amount back, I could you know, put it into clothes or shoes, and like that makes me feel good, but I'm not getting that much back from that, I could put it into my hextet, or I could invest it. And I look at all these options and go, well, what's most important to me? And honestly, to me, loading up my share portfolio is much more important. And at the moment, I'm also feeling a little bit stressed personally just about our mortgage, not because we can't pay it. We're okay, but like I just see it creeping up and I can see how much interest to we're paying on it. So for me, I just don't want to be paying that. So would I make more money back inside my investment portfolio, yes, but just because I'm stressy about it. Like we've arranged our budget a little bit differently recently to pay off a bit more of our mortgage because it just makes me feel better about myself, and I think that's a good lesson in and just because something makes you the most money doesn't mean it is the right decision for you. You also kind of have to overlay your hopes, are your dreams, and your wishes, but also just how you feel about certain things in your life. So if your hex debt is really stressing you out, even though on paper you look at it and go, well, it will die with me, no worries, like you're not going to have to pay that back unless you earn over a certain amount, and yes that is true in retirement. But if you're earning over a certain amount in retirement when you're not working, money, win because it means you're arguably self sufficient. Yeah. So I don't mind if you're still chipping away at that debt at that point. But I really doubt that that debt is still going to be there given the projections. But for me, it's just not a priority. But I totally understand that people have different emotional priorities and if you want to chip it away at it, pop off, queen. But if you want a better solution, you could sit down and work out what might work best for you. For sure, I completely agree with that. Yes, no stresses, all right. The debt dilemmas are a plentiful This week and every week we select a little pickle from our dms from our community members, and this dilemma is unfortunately much more common than you think. Meck, I've got one. Would you like me to read it out?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 3: All right, Hi, queens, please help. A few years ago, after a relationship breakdown, I found myself with around twenty thousand dollars of credit card debt. I ended up taking out a personal loan so that I could consolidate everything, and I promised myself that I would never ever end up in that position again. Fast forward a few years, and while I've been making my loan repayments, I've somehow managed to build up another eight thousand dollars on my credit card due to rising living costs and a few unexpected expenses. I'm not missing payments, but I feel like I'm constantly juggling debt rather than actually getting ahead. Do I focus on paying off the credit card first, or do I throw everything at my personal loan? Or is there another strategy I should be considering. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed, and honestly, I'm a bit ashamed that I found myself back here.
Speaker 5: I know this feeling all too well, like I found myself here just moments ago when I quit my job, you know, just on a whim, and then just also.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, lokay, that was diabolical, silly, And then also just like from me, I was just like mac queen, I get it, I get it, But money also important.
Speaker 5: I know, silly, but I was also like, oh, it's gonna work out, and then sometimes it doesn't, but that's okay. But also just having like just the anxiety of you know, getting yourself into dead or like not being able to pay for things. And I know this is not the same story as our listener who wrote in, but there's a feeling of like anxiety and a feeling of stress and a feeling of like, oh my god, I'm so broke. And I think that like what I told myself in this moment was I can feel anxious or I can feel anxious and also ashamed. It's like there's no point being ashamed. I don't want to be ashamed, and I don't want to put that shame on myself. It's so easy to feel shame because we can see people around us like really, I guess like getting this shit together or they've got their shit together and they don't have these saying they can't relate to these struggles. And also the words use when people are like, oh, I'm so broke, I've got to have to dip into my savings and you're like, I don't have many savings.
Speaker 3: That makes me feel so much wa When I say broke, I mean like broken, like there is nothing bad back.
Speaker 5: On exactly, there's no family, there's no savings, Like you have family and friends of course, but like it's a different comfort of your parents who might have heaps of money, you'd be like, oh yeah, just borrow whatever. And so like this feeling, I think that our listener just first of all, should just like remove shame, because no matter like even if you're brought up in a different way, like our brain's all wired differently, the way we view money, the way we are in situations that we're in, Like we're all wired differently, and you are here because of the way you are, and there's nothing wrong with the way you are. And money is a man made, human made concept, so it's not like this inherent thing in us. It's like there's something broken inside me. It's like, no, you don't know how to juggle something that is completely unnatural, a human made thing, and that's so fine. So I think that like just remove the shame from it all. In terms of what I would do, I don't think I would be the best person to ask, because I also am always in the same situation. But I reckon tackling one at a time, whichever one has the least interest, I would tackle last.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like if your credit card has less interest, then yeah, your personal loan, then tackle the personal loan first, or both would be ideal.
Speaker 3: So Okay, I'm gonna tell her exactly what I told you last week, and that's we, you and I. We're going to sit down and we're finally going to do a budget, and your bloody going to stick to it, yes, ma'am, because it's something that I think we all are so avoidant of, and I get it because you're just like, well, V, I'm not good at money, or V I just I don't want to do that because I don't want to change my lifestyle, or you might find it really confronting because it sucks, Like you know, you and I are sitting down together, and this is going to be more personal than what this person's going to get. But I do this in my money masterclass. There is a free budget on our website, like those resources are a plenty, Like we have so many like playlists of getting out of debt, Like I'm about to bring out a get out of Debt free course, like I'm so excited about it, and by the way, that course will be free. There's no way I'm going to charge people to get them out of debt, Like Queen, I will charge you and sell you a course when we're talking about wealth creation and getting ahead and picking the right shares and how to do that. I feel like that is fair game. But I would think I don't know from me that that is predatory. If you're like girl, I am spiraling, I need to get out of debt, and then I charged you for a course, vile not happening, So that course will be free. But I know you're not missing payments, but we need to get the structure right because you're not spiraling, but you're also not thriving. And I think so many times we're just so avoidant of this idea of sitting down and doing our budget because it's bloody confronting, Like you don't want to sit down and be told by somebody else like don't spend this, or do spend this, or hey, Beck, you've only got this amount to spend per week and if you're done, you're done. That feels restrictive, but it's actually the most freeing thing in the entire world. Like just knowing that nobody's going to come knocking on your door asking for a debt repayment. You know that next week you're always going to have money. That's a crazy concept, like just the idea that if beck I structured your budget and it gave you some food, fuel and fun money, which is what I call it in my course, I gave you that money. I said, but this is the way you've got this week. Do you know what you're really good at? You are actually already good at making money stretch, thank you. You are so good at it that that has been your survival mechanism for the longest time, Right, So what if I structured everything else and then said, beck, all you have to worry about this week is one hundred and fifty dollars or twohundred dollars, everything else catered for, don't touch it. But if you run out of this money, rice and beans, yeah, nothing else until next Thursday. And you go, okay, I can do that, Like we can all do that because everything else is being fed in the background, everything else is being paid off, and then automatically you get your two hundred dollars again, and we start from scratch, like we don't have to make this overwhelming. It doesn't have to be something that feels like trash. But what you're going to do is go back to the drawing board. I need you to be really confrontational with yourself. You're going to print off three months of your credit card statement. You're going to print off three months of your bank's statements. You're going to get probably a really nice glass of wine or a cup of tea. I don't care, Beck, you're probably gonna ask me for a soda water. But we want to sit down for a good hour, like we're not talking like, oh, just quickly flip through it, like this is a tusk, this is a job. I need you to commit to this. You're going to get two colored highlighters and we're going to go through and with one colored highlighter. We're not judging ourselves by the way. We're just highlighting all the things that we can't change. So you know, maybe in a green we're highlighting you know, our rent, our you know, grocery bill, because like at the end of the day, we have to spend money on groceries. Like it's debatable as to how flexible that is, but like we can talk about that later. You know your gas bill, your electric you know your my key, your public transport, you know fuel stuff that we can't really change. Then with another color, we're going to go through and highlight the things that you know, we didn't have to spend money on, but we did. We're not judging ourselves. This isn't a list of like, oh my god, Beck, this is all the stuff you shouldn't have done. But you know what that is going to do. It's going to give you a color contrast. And I'm a visual learner. I'm going to quickly see like, oh, half of the transactions that I make are actually transactions I didn't have to make. Or you might find you've done your whole budget and you're like the like everything is actually like setting stone. I can't change this, at which point we're going to give ourselves a little bit more grace.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But also, what if we go through this and like I'm not attacking you personally, but what if we go through this and it's like pub pub vape pub or but do you know what I mean, like it's dining out, it's stuff that you could change. I'm not saying don't do it. We just want to be aware of it. And then we're going to go, Becky, you comfortable with that? And you might go yeah, like I really like my lifestyle, and I go great, but at what cost? Like what could we change? Like, oh, look at this, let's quickly have a look at one of those line items. Oh you spent twenty five bucks here, and you go, yeah, I probably didn't need to do that, like I was just doing it. Yeah, oh great, Well look what we could free up if just one time per month we didn't do one thing. Yeah, could you do that? And you're going to go yeah, but I'd have to be more conscious of it. Okay, we could do that. What if we put a system in place to make you super conscious? You go yeah, okay. I don't want you to change your lifestyle. I don't want beck to not be beck. I want everybody to have financial freedom and feel like they are completely in control. And it turns out I've got the key to that golden ticket. So let me do that for sure. But what we're going to do is lay everything out on the table. We're going to do our little like review. It sucks. I know nobody likes being confronted with their own spending, but then we're going to look at what we need. Right. So you said that you're not missing payments, money win, but you're not getting ahead. So you've said, should I be throwing everything at my personal loan? Well, I actually want you to step back for a hot second, and do you have an emergency fund? Right? Because even though you're in debt, I still think that people should have an emergency fund in debt because, Beck, what happens if you're in debt and you're throwing every single dollar towards that debt and then another emergency expense comes up. Yeah, what do you do? You're just stuck in the cycle of debt exactly. And what narrative do you tell yourself? You tell yourself your shit at money? Yeah, you tell yourself that you're not capable. You tell yourself that, oh far out this popped up and I wasn't ready for it. Yeah, because every single dollar you were throwing at your debt, like, we weren't planning for the future. We were just treading water. Yeah, that's not a good place to be. That's exhausting. So what we're going to do is we're going to build up an emergency fund. We're going to try and work out, even if it's ten dollars a week, what can we put aside so that if something in the future pops up, we could pay for it. And you know what that does, It helps break the cycle. It changes your mindset because when that rego pops up that you went ready for, or when that you know, electricity bill comes in and it turns out you and your housemates have been using the heater a lot more than you thought you were going to and you need an extra fifty bucks. Babe, that's not debt anymore. That came from cash. That feels good. And then we build back up our emergency fund. We're still paying off our debt for sure, but we have an emergency fund we can lean on to break the cycle so we don't fall back into it. And you've said in your DM I fell back into it like life got expensive, And I'm not saying that it's not. It is. We need to be super conscious of these things, but we also need to make sure that we're getting ahead instead of just trading water. Because if we're just treading water and doing what we're always doing and wishing for a different outcome, like wishes unfortunately don't come true. Wishes need to be action. So what we should be doing is getting our little emergency fund up. Then we're going to look at your credit card, and we're going to look at your personal loan and back to what you were saying, which has the lowest debt immediately last priority or are we going to reconsolidate. That's something that a lot of people lean on, but it's a bit of a catch twenty two because you reconsolidate, take the pressure off yourself, and then we fall further into debt because we didn't do anything else about our budget. Because now we're back to the idea of I just have a personal loan and I'm not feeling the pressure of being out of control. I don't want you to be out of control. If we are going to reconsolidate, we need to make a plan to get out of debt again, and then we're going to talk about our goals. So many of us are not setting goals because we're in debt. And like, if I see people who are in debt, down and what are your goals or do you want to achieve? They go, oh, nothing, don't worry about it. It doesn't matter like, oh, I'll do that when I have more money. I'll do that when I camel. Yeah, you're still allowed to dream, like You're still allowed to have aspirations and things we want to achieve, like goal, you want to go to Thailand. I want you to go to Thailand. But here are the things that we have to achieve to get there. Do you know how much sweeter Thailand feels if we achieved all of those things. We need to get out of debt, and then the money that we've been paying off debt with holy crap, Beck, we can reallocate that the amount of money that you're paying off debt is actually the amount of money that you're completely capable of saving each month without changing your lifestyle. We just have to get rid of the debt. Yeah, So for me, I would be saying, I get it. It is overwhelming, It is all consuming. And you know what, as somebody who got themselves into forty thousand dollars worth of consumer debt, I was not just ashamed. I lied. I would lie to people. They'd be like, oh haha, I would never have a credit card, and I'd be like neither, I know, why are we like this life and money gets out of control, and that is fine, but we can take back control with a little system, and mine's free. It's on the website. Go download the budget, Go listen to our get out of Debt playlists, and put yourself in the driver's seat again. Because you're not not capable like Beck. It's something that we've just never been taught totally, Like where did you learn about money? Not the place you learn about trigonometry.
Speaker 5: No, we's worn with this. I'm like, oh, I don't know how to develop empathy. It's like, well, you know, money's not in us, like from birth.
Speaker 3: Something you do have to be. It's external. You do have to be taught about it. And if you're not, then you should not be ashamed. It's diabolical that we're not taught how to live in the society that we created. But I was talking to one of my friends. At school, we had home ch class and I remember learning how to make coconut jam drops. Yeah I could do that back of my hand again because I learned in home economics class in grade eight. Yeah, yeah, totally. Where was the budget and so where was the money management? I know it's boring. I know it's not getting to take jam drops home and eat them during class. Money win or life win? But like, do you know how much more powerful I would have been if I left school knowing how to budget, or what a credit card actually was, or what superannuation could do for me? Totally, I had no idea. No, I just ticked random boxes on my super fun form because I was like, Ah, that one in brackets says most popular. I'm a pick that, yeah, for sure. What did the community have to say?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 3: First things First, I asked the community, have you accumulated debt due to circumstances outside of your control, for example, like illness or separation or job loss. Thirty eight percent of you said yes, I'm glad it's not more, but also that's a big chunk of our community. The next question I asked was do you feel debt is one of the biggest barriers to achieving your financial goals? Seventy percent of you said yes for sure. Then I asked, if you were in this situation, would you focus on paying off the credit card or your personal loan? First? Eighty six percent of you said credit card okay, and I get that because it's probably the highest interest rate. Yeah, and to be honest, that's where I would be going as well, because like we just the higher the interest rate, the more money you're going to pay towards it, like get out of debt sooner. And then we asked for your two cents. And this one, I feel like was really special because so many of the responses were like, oh my god, me too, Oh my god, I'm so stressed, Oh my gosh. I haven't spoken to my friends about this, Like yeah, diabolical, because I just I don't want my community to be feeling this totally. But also just girl, you're not alone turns out or just doing it, just not talking about.
Speaker 5: It exactly, and that's where the shame comes from. And seeing like no one else is like me. It's like everyone can relate to this feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even if they're not in that situation right now, Like you know, if you saw me on the street, you might go, ah, she looks like a nice girl. She's probably not in any debt. I'm struggling. I wonder if i'd ask her a question. Obviously you know me as she's on the money, so you know my story, but like you don't know a thing about me, Like if you're just passing me on the street. You don't know my history, you might make some really grand assumptions. So she's got a nice T shirt on, Like, oh, she wouldn't be experiencing what I've experienced. Girl, I got myself into forty thousand dollars worth of crippling debt. The only way I got to where I am today is because I went through that experience. Like, if we don't talk about it, we can't help people. Totally, we can't help ourselves. If I didn't start talking about it, she's on the money, wouldn't exist. True, that's pretty big. Yeah, that's to me sick. But also it's pretty good incentive to not get back into debt again. He's like, low key, that would be embarrassing. No, but I also am in a lot of debt because I've got a home loan, so like that's different. Sure. We also had a lot of people saying, pay off the credit card first, and then counsel it. Talk about consolidation. Another person said, why not look into some financial counseling. It could help because you're obviously feeling a lot of shame and these people are really really approachable. Another person said, and this is the most diabolical one. Okay, I feel like that's my word of the week. Diabolical. Yeah, I like that word. Yeah, it just feels really impactful. I agree, we're not going to do this. By the way, this terrible suggestion. They said, listen to Dave Ramsey. Who in the world is that. Oh, I'm glad he is. I would say he's the barefoot investor to the Americans. Oh, he is like the biggest finance guru. He also doesn't believe in gay rights. Also has been quoted to say, if you are in debt, you should not see the inside of a restaurant. He has been sued. He has been sued because he has like enforced his Christian beliefs on his staff. Okay, this man is horrific.
Speaker 5: I'm shocked by people who can't understand that their experience is not everyone's experience.
Speaker 3: But also to say that's somebody in debt, like and he's very like heavy on the shame, like they're like, if you're in debt, you're like, you're an idiot, Like I can't believe you get yourself in this situation. He has a whole bloody talk show. It's horrific. Like I can't stand it because every single time I like look at one of his videos and read the comments, I'm just like, why can't people see that this man is shaming other people for things that were arguably beyond their control.
Speaker 5: I want to assume that there's no aspects of his identity that make it harder to find a job or and I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to you know, No, he's a mediocre, middle aged white man. Well, this is what I'm thinking, is like the whitest of white. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So he has a very like, you know, very nice, normal life, and he's giving people advice based on his experience.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, that's dangerous. Yeah. But also the idea that if you're in debt you shouldn't see the inside of a restaurant, that's crazy. That's diabolical, diabolical. So, just so you know, we're not listening to Dave Ramsey, good idea. Don't shut it, Dave, Yeah, don't do that anyway. Lots of people back on track were very productive, though they said high interest rates, first, pay off the smallest step. First, have a look at the snowball versus the avalanche method. A lot of people say, just cancel the credit card, and then pay it off. And then someone else said, and I'm going to leave it here. Hey, I don't have any advice, but I just want to share some empathy for her situation. I hope she feels better about it soon.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's exactly what we need. That's exactly what we need. Like nobody should feel shame. Do feel shame anyway, misspec say ed Yes, it's been a pleasure chatting with you. Or I feel like I went on a rant at you. Hey, that's okay? Is that okay? I'm sorry. I just am really passionate about debt, of course, and I think it's all it's all very useful information. So thank you anyway. Thank you again for sharing the Friday Drinks couch with me, and I guess for everybody listening being part of our community. We'll be back next week early Monday morning for a money diary, and until then, please take care, look after your friends, and have a great weekend. Bye guys. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Shofer Pty Ltd. A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine