Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, it is Friday, which means it is time to get my little team back together to celebrate you. Ow incredible. She's on the Money community today. Mster greed she's going to be sharing her favorite money wins from the group. Miss Beck say ed she's got some very good broke tips for you. We'll be helping as a team to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about how to make your super work harder for you, and we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about this week. We're talking guys about stingy friends.
Speaker 3: No one wants to be that person.
Speaker 4: No, that's just lots of.
Speaker 2: People are that person. So we're gonna chat about it. Okay, So before we get there, I want to know how have your week's been, mster Grich.
Speaker 3: Been doing anything fun but nothing crazy? We had a secondary flying high. Hush anyone who's playing along at home now.
Speaker 2: As we'll just kick you while you're down.
Speaker 3: This one was not my fault. This one was not my fault. We work up at five o'clock in the morning to the roof and the window leaking, which is really exciting.
Speaker 2: I actually cannot believe your love. I don't know.
Speaker 3: What what have you done? I'm like, what did I do to deserve?
Speaker 2: Did you do something? Did you do something in a past life where you just like really really really werenaughty? And then now everyone's like, let it rain on Jess's house.
Speaker 4: It's like manifesting in a funny way, like literally only floods, but not that, not not only.
Speaker 2: She's literally up to three floods in her house in the last two weeks.
Speaker 4: Oh actually, but your car battery did die. You've broken aule as well.
Speaker 3: So I dressing this we what else did you do this weekend? I got all the way through a glass of Pepsi max and what I found at the bottom.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no big fat fly? Like no, absolutely not, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: I'm having literally the worst week of mind.
Speaker 2: You can come live with me.
Speaker 4: That's okay, this is weird, Like we need to study this.
Speaker 2: I'm not normally this unlucky, you know, she is just like is perfect normally, So I don't know why she's being thrown under a bus. But mentioning flies, why are they everywhere at the moment, I think it's dare because I can't deal with it. Yeah, I hate I swear like there are so many flies at the moment and annoying. Yeah they're in my house, Like where did you come from? Like my husband opened the back doors and we basically had a fight because I was like, you close those flies in my house? One out of ten?
Speaker 4: I know, so annoying, but no, I do. I need to figure out what's going on here. Guess maybe it did you annoy someone anyway, Well, someone put ext me do a cleanse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to do a cleanse.
Speaker 4: When we finish this, we'll do a cleanse week. My week has been really nice, really Christmas y. I'm trying to like squoize all the Christmasy things in and you know, just seeing friends and like I'm busy and very tired, but also really really good my money when is that? I ended up not going to Meredith, which was very.
Speaker 2: Sad, But why did you, Meredith?
Speaker 4: Well, I just I realized, like I just couldn't afford it.
Speaker 2: And okay, that is a very good reason to say something, I'm proud of you. Oh you wouldn't have done that.
Speaker 4: Old me wouldn't have because I had been kind of talking it up for so long, and like I was messaging everyone I know, even though I didn't have a I was like, I'm going to Ameredith, I'm going to Ameretith and put it in my calendar. And old me definitely would have been like I'm going to find a way. I'm going to be broke, but I'm going to find a way. But this song was like so proud of you, thank you?
Speaker 3: Sound you rained all weekend? Yeah, I feel like that's actually also a life win for you.
Speaker 4: That's so true. I do hear it was very muddy, which is not great, So yeah, win win.
Speaker 2: It was really really love it. Did you do something you just like hung out with friends on the weekend instead I did.
Speaker 4: We had a Christmas night and cute Christmas games and watch Christmas movies.
Speaker 2: That is very very cute, very cute. And what about you, v As you can probably hear in my voice, I am still not one hundred percent, which is really frustrating because I feel really good. But I had what was a cute bronchitus last week, which is why you guys had to take the helm and take one for the team and do a whole episode without me, which is always honestly terrifying. So I'm like, what are they going to say? Like there's just like there's also just like such quick turnaround without pot cast editing that it means I can't vet it before it goes live and like change anything because like you'llow So I haven't listened to it yet, but I will. I'm just a little bit scared.
Speaker 4: Listen, Actually we did drag your name through the mud.
Speaker 2: I think you absolutely just keep it real. And then earlier this week, Brooke, who is our video content creator. She came back from the US, which is really exciting because she's been there for like three months working. I guess international. We're international team of girlies. Guys. It's about as international as we get, let's be honest. But she came back and we recorded so many videos over the weekend. We did this whole new series that is called is It Home Brand? Basically, oh so, like we got out all of these dupes. We went to the supermarket and like spent ages going through the aisles and being like, oh, they're fruit loops, they're dupe loops, like and picked them all up, and then we did blind taste testings and if you've already seen it, we've started posting the videos already. I got absolutely duped by the fake coke, and I'm really I'm so embarrassed for you.
Speaker 3: It's so adamant that you would always be able to taste the difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I was so clear because I'm such a Coke zero girlie, Like I don't want diet coke. I don't want full fat coke. We only drink Coke zero. Like I am a coke zero Stan like asked yes, one a day every day.
Speaker 3: She loves it.
Speaker 2: And then the que cola from Cole's Got me q cola. It was like in a one point two liter bottle dollar ten money win that is that is money win. It's a very good money win. But this girley couldn't tell you the difference to save her life.
Speaker 4: That's really cool though. I think that's such a great idea.
Speaker 2: It was fun. So we've done like a heap of those videos and I just got really good snacks over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Guys, I'm excited to see the series roll out to figure out what I can replace.
Speaker 2: Yes, I actually think it's so fun. So if you have a dupe like at the supermarket that you're like the home brand one slighs, we need to hear about it because we'll try it on the show.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Anyway, let's get back to the community. Mister GRICI, what money wins do you want to share this week?
Speaker 3: My first money in this week comes from Brenda who said money win and loss. I traded in my old iPhone six, which I haven't used in years, and I got a fifty five dollar Apple give cut.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: My partner had broken my MacBook laptop charger the next day. So the money went towards that I didn't even know you could trade back phones that were that old. I think I have a few in a drawer that I just ow you now, like you're going to go through my drawer and trade them all back in. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought it was going to be only like the most recent iPhone or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's where you good. Fifty bucks is fifty bucks.
Speaker 4: Judging by your luck, they will be like, we're not taking in fact, we're not taking these, and also we're charging you.
Speaker 2: They're going to charge her Jessica's hext guys.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Next, I've got money in from Lily, who said money win. I put twenty four hours between my spending, and when I checked back online the dinner that I wanted to buy, it was half priced down from one twenty nine to sixty dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh that's our money win.
Speaker 3: That twenty four hours between you and you're spending pays off in a big way.
Speaker 2: Hope you also got some cash back as well on a cash back app.
Speaker 4: Genius.
Speaker 3: Yes, ideally funny that you say that, because my next money wind comes from a Tara And she said money win. I was at Chadston when I found a pair of pants that I loved. I looked up the brand and they were ten percent cash back on shop back mudey Win. So I ordered them online instead of on site, and they were also on special on the website.
Speaker 2: Oh so that's such a money double money in. I feel like that's something I do all the time in store. It's low key, a little bit like mediocre middle aged white man, but like I will like google the product while I'm looking at it in the shop because I'm like, oh, my best deal on this. If I've decided I want to buy that, am I going to get cash back? It's so easy to do, and then also lots of places price match, so true, it's worth a try.
Speaker 4: Absolutely love that. I'm going to start doing that.
Speaker 3: Give it a crack. Why not? Next, I've got one from Victoria great name, who said.
Speaker 2: A fantastic name. I must be a genius.
Speaker 3: Her win is pretty. She said. I went thirty dollars over my Christmas gift budget, so I found a candle I already had to regift, which saved me from having to buy them a gift, and it put me back within my budget.
Speaker 2: Oh. I love that. That's actually so resourceful, very on brand for a Victoria. That's definitely something I would do, so clean fla.
Speaker 3: Next, I've got a money in from Julie, who said, not really a money win, but kind of in a roundabout way. I couldn't find a Christmas shirt that I loved, so I made one with my own painting. It didn't cost too much more than those generic ones in the shops, and I know that it's a keeper. And she's put a really cute picky I look so stive.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 3: I'm very hug and it's a good way to use, like if you already have a shirt at home. Yeah, and you'uring you have one of those Christmas parties where you need something festive, do a little diy job. Yeah, I love that, really iconic. Next, I've got one from Grace who said I've sold fifteen things on deepop since signing up a few months ago. I've cleaned out my garage and sold a few things on marketplace. I'm decluttering and I'm making money. Big win.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love how proactive it is, though, because how many of us say we're going to do that and then don't do that. Yes, yes she's doing it. Get it, Grace, Well done, Grace.
Speaker 3: And lastly, I've got one from al who said money and feel good win. My daughter's school makes Christmas hampers for the homeless and families in need. I had one hundred and ten dollars in Woolworth rewards that I had forgotten about, so I used it to shop for the hamper donations. I also ended up getting an extra twenty dollars on rewards in that shop.
Speaker 2: Oh money win. That is very cool, so wholesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, awesome, and another good one for I know a few weeks here we spoke about people who wanted to do charitable things but maybe didn't have the budget. If you ever rewards points, that's such a good way to use them, is use those things that you want to donate.
Speaker 2: Genius.
Speaker 3: That's everything, guys.
Speaker 2: I liked those ones. Yes, I feel like they were a very wholesome wrap up, a little bit festive, little bit budget, a little bit saving. I love it anyway, it seems like very festive. Long yeah, and you're you're in a festive mood this week. Back seriously, so right up your alley. But now I want to know what broke tips have you got for us this week?
Speaker 4: Okay, So, as per, I do have two from the community and one of my own soul that I know.
Speaker 2: Just to just to like mix it up a little bit up a little bit, be a little bit different.
Speaker 4: So the first one comes from Rhiannon and this.
Speaker 2: One is a little bit festive, so I love a festive money in Yeah, I feel like this one we may have mentioned before. That's okay.
Speaker 4: I thought it's a really good time to just kind of like emphasize how great this is. So Brandon says that in wool Ways, they have these cute Christmas designs on their paper bags. You can cut the bottom of it and use it as wrapping paper. So if you shop the all Wards a lot, maybe if you get your reusable bag and you have to buy the paper bags, that also doubles as wrapping paper, which I think is really cool.
Speaker 2: It love there.
Speaker 3: I saw someone on Instagram use their paper bag. They slipped it so that the writing was on the inside and they used it to wrap like a handpicked bouquet, which is another really much use for it as well, like they picked anything the flowers from their garden know something and they wrapped its like a beautiful little boutique bouquet, very cute, humble paper bag can do a lot.
Speaker 2: I've said this a few times on the podcast before, but I literally refuse to buy holiday wrapping paper. It is so ex defensive. So a couple of years ago, I went to office works and I bought a really big roll of craft paper, you know, like the brown craft paper, and I think it was like thirty meters or something ridiculous, and it was like fifteen dollars. It's all I've been using for wrapping, so you will always get a present from me wrapped in brown paper. And then I juz it up with like some fancy like string I get from the two dollar shop or something. Then everything under the tree matches, and people think that I'm being like, oh, look, how aesthetics she is. No, I'm cheap Like. The answer is cheapness, not aesthetics. But you know what, I like that you think I think that is going to work.
Speaker 4: I do love brown wrapping papers very.
Speaker 2: It's like a little bit rustic, a little bit helpful. Also, you could juse it up even more by like going to like Bunnings and getting some like Hessian string, like tying Hessian string and putting like a few gum leaves or something in it. So cheap, so cute, so cheap, you could draw a little festive okay you are. People would be like, hey, v I'm just wondering, why did a toddler decorate your presence this year? And I'd be like, that was me. I tried. I tried. It's the thought that counts.
Speaker 4: You can't yet blame that on your baby.
Speaker 2: No, no, but I will be what's your second broke tip from the community back?
Speaker 4: So this next one comes from Michelle. This one, I really do like it because I feel like this is the reality for a lot of people. So back in the day, when her and her family couldn't afford heat packs, they would fill an empty one point two five meter soft drink bottle with hot water. The lid would screw on tights and new leaks, and if you wrap it in a tea towel with a rubber band, you have a reusable heat pack. So that is really, really, it's a really clever way to kind of like make it through the winter. If you're like in a position where you literally can't afford a heat pack, you literally can't afford heating.
Speaker 2: Snaggy, you can kind of let in bed now.
Speaker 4: Exactly obviously, you know, don't put boiling water because.
Speaker 2: Your bottle melt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just so nice, just the I think like when you just tin on the hot tap, like it doesn't actually get too hot these days anyway, that should do and that will ask you hopefull of the night, which yeah, I love this. I actually really like this broke tip and my one. This one is not so broke that you can't use Uber. This is like I can use Uber, but I'm also trying to save money. So I've noticed that if I'm trying to order an Uber, I'll go into the Uber app, I'll put in my destination. I'll leave the app three, four, maybe five times. So you got to start this early. You can't be meet You got to start this very early. Each time you leave the app, it gives you a little discount. I know this what happened all the time, but with me it did. It went I was getting an Uber from my friend and I was kind of just like waiting for her response. So this was just completely accidental that I happened upon this. It started at about thirty dollars and then it went all the way down to I literally think from memory it was thirteen dollars. It went from thirty dollars to thirteen.
Speaker 2: Dollars, just like a Thurge time.
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't. It was just a regular time. It just kept like saying, hey, are you forgetting something or you know this is still just do you need to ride? Here's twenty percent off, blah blah blah. It went all the way down. I just couldn't believe it. So while I was waiting for her response, I just kept like opening it and seeing what it's that going out of it again and blah blah blah. So I just it was completely accidental. And so now anytime I need an Uber, I do this and it maybe it takes about ten minutes, but give it a try.
Speaker 2: I like that. I've been using d D recently because I feel like when Uber's surging and I'm like, I'm not paying those surch prices, I go on DD and then I get a good ride whatever. Half the time they come, the car comes and it's got the Uber sticker on it because the drivers are using both app switch get it Queen's But my favorite thing about DD is if you don't use it for a while, they send you vouchers. They're like, oh, here's ten dollars off your next ride, and you're like, ha ha, I'll just stashing that.
Speaker 3: One away for future game the system.
Speaker 2: I'm all about gaming the system. I love that back. I feel like that was very wholesome, little bit festive, little bit smart. Also, yeah, good money wins, absolutely, I fish. Let's go to a really quick break and on the flip side, we're going to be unpacking how to make your super work harder for you, which is definitely something we all want. But then after that we're getting to the spicy conversation of talking about your stingy friends. And I think all of us like a little bit of goss, So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Welcome back everyone. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the Money Team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money.
Speaker 2: Career and life questions.
Speaker 5: To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's Money Dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, she's on the Money team. Love the podcast and all that you do. In the spirit of financial literacy and investing in my future, I've spoken to a super annuation management firm. They've estimated they could increase my super from roughly seven hundred K to one point two million over a thirty year period through a super fund account manager. Obviously this is appealing, but I don't want to go in blind. Their fee is three k one off and then one point six percent fee per anim of my super amount. In addition, I would have access to their team of financial advisors and mortgage broker for free. I want to engage these services and feel like this could be a great one stop shop. But are these fees typical? I know nothing is guaranteed in terms of future super performance, but want to optimize what I can as early as possible.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to comment yet because I want your comments. Guys. How do you feel about that? Jess? I know you know a little bit about like financial advice fees. What are your thoughts and feelings?
Speaker 3: I just my thoughts on financial advice in general, whether that's an advisor, whether that's mortgages, whether that's investments, is that if they're approaching you, I'm always.
Speaker 2: Sus I'm so glad you've said that because I let you go first, because I'm like sitting here with red flags everywhere all over this.
Speaker 4: Also they're saying I will get you from seven hundred thousand to well at one point.
Speaker 3: I don't know if maybe you've misunderstood the wording here is just not making sense to me, because if they're saying that they can take you from seven hundred thousand to one point two million and thirty years using our favorite compound interest calculator, Yeah, I can tell you that if you had seven hundred thousand dollars and you did quite frankly, not a whole lot with it.
Speaker 2: Tell me, tell me the specs you put it in.
Speaker 3: Jest, put it in assuming no additional deposits. You just have that seven hundred thousand that she's saying that it's there over at thirty year period, assuming an average rate of return of seven point five percent, which.
Speaker 2: Is what actually is on the money we always use. It is a little bit lower, a little bit more conservative than the average rate of return of the Australian shair market. Good job, es, I go, I'm out of a job.
Speaker 3: That she just told me. Well, we're estimating that you would have about six million, five hundred ninety and seventy four dollars. Yeah, so in two million is severely underperforming, like union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not even doing the bare minimum, sir, Like even if we drop it down right, because I think Jess is doing exactly what I was doing. Let's pretend it's an average rate of return of five percent, because if you've got seven hundred grand, girl, you are doing well. Yeah, so can we talk about how you got seven hundred grand in super because like I need to know that story. But if you've got seven hundred thousand dollars in super, even if it's at a rate of return of five percent BECK over thirty years, that's three point one million dollars.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: So these guys, what do you need them for?
Speaker 3: And you're paying them three grand?
Speaker 2: Off the topic, I am always so skeptical of these superanuation management firms because usually, and I'm probably going to make some people in the industry really angry, and I kind of don't care. Usually, if you are a superanuation management company, you're a burn and churn company. You usually buy lists of people's phone numbers and you call them and go, hey, beck, we're a supermanagement firm, like we can help you. And you go, oh my gosh, so your license. So they go yeah, yeah, we just got given your number. Thought you were a good person to call. This happens all the time. We see it in our community so often. To be honest, you would be better off not paying a financial advisor to give you superannuation only advice for three thousand dollars and staying with a default fund in a balanced portfolio, like you would be financially better off by going on the money Smart website and having a look at your super comparison tool and picking that. I'm not saying that that's what you should do, because if you've got seven hundred grand in super Girl, you are doing incredibly and you definitely should see an advisor, but you should see a holistic wealth advisor, someone who's going to go, well, what goals are we trying to achieve? What does this actually look like? Why have you got seven hundred grand in super I'm assuming if you have that much in Super you're probably doing well outside of it and need some budget and cash flow help and some investing help, because that shouldn't be your only wealth creation asset. But to me, it's a massive red flag if they're then saying, but it's a really good deal, Jessica, you can get access to our financial advisors, mortgage brokers. I'm sorry. Mortgage brokers are free to begin with. Like, legally, mortgage brokers cannot charge you for their services. And as somebody who owns a mortgage broking firm called Zella Money, I don't like and this is coming from someone who used to also own a financial advice firm, you cannot be brilliant at everything. I picked one way and said, all right, I'm gonna have to step back because you know, as the director of Zellowealth and Zella Money, they're conflicting. They need so much of my time to be successful. Zello Wealth wasn't taking on new clients, and they weren't taking on new clients because I would be like, look, I don't have the capacity between she's on the money and growing this mortgage broking business to do the right thing by clients, So I'm not taking anyone new but if you're doing mortgage broking and financial advice in this economic situation where there's so much clients, I don't think you can be good at both. Like, and I don't mean to be rude, because I do have friends who own mortgage broking and financial advice companies, but they're not usually volume based companies.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They might be like, oh, Bet comes in and we help her along the way, and that can be really great, Like, it can be a fantastic service. However, if I'm going to go get a mortgage, like we know Jess is on her first home by a journey, Jess, I know benefits from working with someone who forty hours a week, day in, day out, talks about mortgages, talks to the banks, is completely across it, so that when Jess is like, oh, what's this mean, they're like, Oh, it's talking to west Pac yesterday. That's what this means. Whereas often when you're a financial advisor and a mortgage broker, you don't do that much mortgage work because the financial advice work takes so long and you're not as in touch with what's currently going on and with the interest rates going up and everything kind of in a shamble. You want someone who has their finger on the pulse, but like every second, not you know, once or twice a week. So I'm quite I don't know, assertive. That's why I like you having independent experts who are great in their field, and you build a little team that works for you, not necessarily going to a one stop shop. Because, don't get me wrong, sounds perfect in theory, it's not necessarily going to work out that way because they're often like, oh, it's just a hygiene factor. Oh, just as one of our financial advice clients she needs a mortgage, can you just get her one? Yeah, just honestly, whatever goes through easiest. It's not putting just in the best possible position. So to me, I'm gonna get a lot of hate for that. I'm going to don't care because I'm not even an advisor anymore. But these supermanagement companies or firms or whatever they're calling themselves, if they only do super and they're giving you access to their you know, super advisors, you don't really need that. You're probably getting it free already through your super fund. And for three thousand dollars to do initial advice for only one stream that's a lot.
Speaker 3: Who's your first thought because we've spoken about this before, but I feel like you're more similar to our listener in that have you been approach based on I like this before. What would your instinct be if you were.
Speaker 4: Totally well like, as you guys know, I used to like kind of work in super but I didn't initially think about how that looked over thirty years. Like Jess, I think you were like on top of it and you were like, this seems really low but math math, and I guess like my my first red flag, maybe maybe my only, because I'm not it was it was a while ago, you guys, so you know it's not fresh in the mind. But my first and maybe only red flag was that if someone's guaranteeing any kind.
Speaker 2: Of growth, yes, that's a red flag as well.
Speaker 4: No matter what it looks like, no matter like if it's pretty much guaranteed like in this case, like seven hundred thousand dollars, it's probably going to grow in thirty years, but even then, like guaranteeing growth in any situation, I'm kind of like, red flag that's not okay, Yeah, I like totally.
Speaker 2: I like that also, Jess, that seven hundred thousand dollars to quote guarantee growth to one point two million dollars. That's promising a two percent interest rate return over thirty years. Yeah, are you happy with two percent? Yes?
Speaker 3: I'm getting more on my savings acount right now, I'm hanning like double that on my seat.
Speaker 2: Exactly. We don't settle here nor bye. I think we'll wrap it there because I obviously don't want to go too too far into this but money dilemma person, could you please DM me that company? Because I love this US Yess the amount of times people dam me the companies that have like approached them. And then Jess and I sit at my laptop and I'm like, look at their pds, look at this, look at that, let's have a read through their license, what their heck? How do they get away with this? Look at their fees? Because if they're managing you're super right. I don't mean to be rude again. There are lots of financial advisors who are very actively managing super in a very very constructive way. And if you need a financial advisor and you're looking at this going v where the heck and do I go? You can actually just go to our website, and one of my team members will at you with one of our pre vetted financial advisors or mortgage brokers to make sure you're in the best possible position. It's kind of like I'm at you with my squad to make sure you're not getting screwed over, which I think is smart. But why such a high ongoing fee to manage super which is essentially set and forget in a way that is very Why are we doing that?
Speaker 4: You guys are vigilantes and I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm not having it. I'm not having it back, but I think we'll leave it there. So if anyone wants to slide into my dms with their financial advice fake companies, not fake but a red flag companies flag. I feel free because I love the goss. I love the drama. I'm here for it. But you know what else, I.
Speaker 3: Love more goss and more drama.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the conundrum that you guys slid into our dams about this week? Are you strapped in, locked and loaded and ready?
Speaker 4: I am so ready?
Speaker 2: You are ready?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: So here's the dam. Hey, she's on the money team. I have a money lamb before you. Yes, one of our friends is chronically stingy. She earns a very good wage. Her husband also earns a good income. Combined income, I reckon would be more than three hundred thousand dollars, and she comes from a very wealthy family. She invited twenty friends over for a barbecue for her birthday and originally said that she's doing a barbecue just byo your own booth. On the day of the barbecue, she messages everyone again and tells everyone that they have bought twenty four sausages for twenty people and have some nibbles, and if you want something else for the barbecue, then you need to bring whatever you would want for yourself. I get that we're at a cost of living crisis, but honestly, we are thirty three and she could have easily spent one hundred dollars to cater enough food for everybody. We not broke UNI students anymore. What should we do? Do we call her out for being stingy? Do we just accept it's her and move on? Help?
Speaker 4: See, I have my best friend is just like this. Literally, her birthday are two weeks ago. Everyone brought their own food for the barbecue. She kind of like framed it as a barbecue and then everyone just knew to bring her in food because we love her and we accept her. She makes a lot of money.
Speaker 2: But since your friend babe, I just think it's okay.
Speaker 4: I just think it's okay. I guess maybe give people more notice. Feel like, hey, I'm having a barbecue. I don't want to buy food for everyone, so I'll provide nibbles. You just bring whatever meat you feel like eating on the day, and we'll have like a nice I've been.
Speaker 2: To lots of barbecues like that. We're gonna have a barbecue at my place. I'm going to do a few salads, bring whatever you want to chuck on the barbie. Totally like drinks, that's fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think it's completely fine. And like, honestly, three hundred thousand for two people in this economy. I mean, obviously I'm not making anyone new, even one of them, but I just think due to the economy right now, due to the cost of living, due.
Speaker 2: To what do you call it, V when you lifestyle creep.
Speaker 4: Yes, lifestyle creep and all these things, I'm like, you know, it's probably not even that March at the end of the day, you know what I mean, like it's a lot for some people, but for someone who's kind of this lifestyle for a long time, it's probably not that much. Like I say, little Bee, I think she's allowed.
Speaker 2: I'm laughing because I feel like I know what Jess is gonna say, because like she's got an Italian background haha. And like I had like a little dinner the other night with a couple of girlfriends over and Jess was there, and like I said, now it's all catered, like booze and food, don't worry, don't bring anything. She still brought stuff, obviously it's Jess. So I'm just like, what is your thoughts, Jess.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of into minds because I do if I was to host personally, I would take care of everything. But I think it's a very dangerous game to start implying that just because someone earns more than you, they should or should not be able to pay more for something. And I guess the timeframe thing is definitely I suppose the here for me. I think if you want people to bring their own stuff, that's so fine.
Speaker 2: That expectation at the beginning invite them to the part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because some people might be in the position where they can't afford to bring a plate or can't afford to something, and so you know, they're saying yes based on assuming that it's all catered. Then they realize that they have to help Kate. So I think that that is the thing that I don't necessarily agree with, But I think that, yeah, you're right, Like, if that's the way that you want to do it, maybe they just couldn't be both cooking everything, you know, or maybe there's another reason that isn't necessarily stinginess. But I don't think that setting that boundary is necessarily a bad thing. Yeah, it's different in different friend groups too. If everybody else when they host caters for everybody and they're the one friend that isn't doing that, you know, and you want to have a conversation about that by all means, But I think be really gentle because you don't know what someone's finances look like.
Speaker 2: Either.
Speaker 3: You don't know if they're paying off huge amounts of debt. You know, maybe they've got this nice lifestyle but they're living on credit cards or whatever. Like I just think that the I'm kind of taking it away from the original question, but I think the thing that I'm that I don't love in this dilemma. Is that the idea that just because somebody earns more, that they should have a responsibility to be more financially responsible, which isn't completely watching.
Speaker 2: Is their budget not your budget?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know that that's not really what our dilimma person is staying either, But I'm just conscious of that school of thought I think can be a little bit dangerous or unfair, but it is difficult. Like if your friend is always doing this and everyone else is paying that, I can see where that would be irritating to.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think the question needs to be broken into two questions because I think that there's clearly some underlying stuff going on in addition to this. Right, So the first question and the real question here is my friend organized to barbecue. She's having twenty people over and she said she's doing the barbecue. Jest, you need to bring the boost. All of that's fine. Last minute she tells you you need to organize some food for yourself to bring to this party.
Speaker 3: Not good enough.
Speaker 2: I go, oh, that's just annoying, because like I'm the type of person who'd want to prep something and chuck it in the fridge the night before, or go to the supermarket, or have a think about like, oh, I really want to get this thing from Audi. Like, to me, going to somebody else's house and taking something requires a bit more planning than just popping past calls on the way there. I totally could pop class calls on the way there and pick up a container of snags and it should not be an issue because I was probably going to make lunch at home anyway. Right. So that's the question. During a cost of living crisis, can you at the last minute bring another budget thing on somebody else and be like, oh, hey, that barbecue I'm having today, you actually have to go buy some more stuff for it?
Speaker 3: Not last minute?
Speaker 2: Not last minute? Not fair. I think that that, to me is the question. The underlying issue here, to me is actually more about the person that's written in. I want to know why you care so much about what your friend is earning and what they're doing with their money. Why are you guessing how much that combined household has in income we know in today's world. And I wrote an article in the Age and the City Morning Herald a couple of weeks ago about this that the average or the average couple purchasing a home now needs three hundred thousand dollars worth of income to be really comfortable. So we're not talking, and I'm not saying that that's normal by any stretch of the imagination. But here you are going, oh, well, her husband earns a good income and she earns good money, and they should serve me. She comes from a wealthy family. What's that got to do with her catering your barbecue? She wanted to have a social gathering because the end of the day, I was at my house one day and I was like, I'd love to have Beck over for dinner. That's the conversation, not what my history is, what my background is, what financial status I'm in. Because Beck, you could do the same. You could be like, I want THEE and Jess to come over for dinns. That'll be fun. Jess, I'll cook the like, bring some booze, don't worry if you then sprung it on us. Oh, by the way, you're coming over for dinner, could you bring the food as well? I'd be like, rowd, I'm so excited for Beck's cooking and everything to do with why you're thinking about that, And I also look at it and go. Should you call anyone out for their stinginess, No, it's not your place. We've talked about this on the podcast before. You don't know what she's been through. You're assuming she's coming from a very wealthy family. What if there's a lot of financial abuse in that wealthy family where Jess, you know, mum and dad are super wealthy, and they only give Jess money if Jess does a certain thing or studies something particular, or you know, is home by a certain time every night, and money's really triggering for her because at the end of the day, it's a way that other people are controlling her.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, What if money is really really fickle and she's being stingy because she's trying to live within her means, because she never wants to rely on her family. These are things that we're not thinking about when calling somebody else out for being stingy. And if you're calling someone out for being stingy and you don't know their whole money story, you cannot say that.
Speaker 3: It's got to be more of a story. I feel like you don't label someone stingy off of the back of one or two things. So I feel like We're missing a lot of context here that would.
Speaker 2: Maybe calling people stingy. I just think it's so rude. Like imagine if we called Beck stingy? Is she no? You know what Beck is? She's super generous, she's good at blowing all the cash. Let's be honest. So is she being stingy or did she just not have the cash for that thing right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Totally, And it's not a stingy Beck.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that at all, Like out a fight with her before recording, because she was like, oh, do you want me to get to your coffee? And I was like, I can get my own. She's like, why do you always do this? Do you know what I mean? Like, it's not the stinginess that's a problem, it's your perception of it. And if you call somebody else stingy, you're judging the way that they are acting with money. You need to think more about yourself, bab.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the situation with that first question that you asked, you know, is it okay to change the thing last minute?
Speaker 2: Is an organizational thing.
Speaker 3: It's not that they're stingy, it's that they've told you something last minute, yes, which is a whole different thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is very true, and that I get with thirty three, But she totally could have spent the one hundred dollars and catered it better.
Speaker 3: A lot of money.
Speaker 2: Hundred dollars is a lot of money. So it's actually not that much food at the supermarket these days.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I said that on literally one bag of groceries. Nearly died.
Speaker 2: I'm so basic.
Speaker 3: Things not in my head.
Speaker 2: Me popping to the supermarket is like a thirty dollars trip, right, totally, like if I haven't gotten in my head in my head, we're not saying that's reality. And the other day I was like looking at my receipt and I've gotten like some stuff for dinner because somehow I'd eat all my Marley spoons. And actually I had to go to the shops myself, rude obviously got some little treaty treats. Myself of course, picked up some cat and dog stuff. All fine, what do you mean it's one hundred and twenty bucks if there's only one bag of groceries here, sir? No, Like, is this faulty machine? It wasn't. Everything's just getting so expensive, So I don't know. I think this underlying idea that you're going. Honestly, we're thirty three and she could have easily spent one hundred dollars to cater that's your entitlement showing, and I don't like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did everybody else say?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: All right, so they're probably gonna be nice in the main. We asked you a few questions. I'll get through those, then i'll tell you what people said. First question we asked, we said, do you think it's unreasonable for the birthday girl to tell her friends to bring food to her party? Sixty seven percent said yep, she should one hundred percent supply more food, and thirty three percent said no, it's actually really normal for people to be asked to bring food, which I think is answering that initial question without yeah the judgment. Question two, we said, if yes, and this was your friend, would you call them out on it? Thirty four percent said Yep, I would totally call them out for being stingy rude. Sixty six percent of you though, you're on our team. Nope, it's not my place to say anything. Question three, we said, do you think just because someone earns a good wage and is tight with their money they should be labeled as stingy. Fifty seven percent of you said if they won't buy more than twenty four sausages, then yes. Forty three percent of you said no, they might be saving for something. Yeap, Yes, I think is fair. And then we obviously said, guys, what's your two cents? So here's the first comment. The host should have asked everyone to bring a plate from the very start. Wouldn't have been an issue if that was the case. Someone else said, you should have been really clear that it was bwayo food from the outset. Someone said, in my friend's circle, we would always bring a dish anyway. Some of us earn more money than others. Someone said, I hate the idea that because you earn good money, you should be paying for other people's things. Totally agree. It's totally okay to ask people to be bringing food, but kind of rude to be showing up empty handed anyway, tbh. Jessica would never I kind of agree with that. Jessica made the other day the best gingerbread. Men like them? Yeah, it's like I liked the half of one I got because jess left me with some of them. Obviously, my husband got to the before me, and then I saw him walking down the hallway and I'm like, what's that. He was like, it's a gingerbread and I was like, that one was my one. He was like, but you didn't need it yet, Like apparently if it's just left out, it's fair game.
Speaker 3: Everyone for themselves.
Speaker 2: It was a full fight. So Jesse got the top with a Christmas tree. It I like, fool took it off him and I was like, this is not yours. I'll thank you, thank you, thank you. Someone said always play broke. Can't buy wine or share, but can seem to travel to Hawaii and Canada twice a year. I think that they're talking about one of their friends, which okay, So you're saying that your friend values travel over buying wine and wants to split the cost of an uber because you both incurred that cost they're allowed. Yeah, isn't that wild anyway? Someone said, you guys could have gone somewhere and not hosted twenty people. There were so many other options. It's tree, you could have gone out. That's more expensive, though.
Speaker 4: It sometimes ends up being more expensive, and.
Speaker 2: I love a little at home little shindigla. Yeah. Someone said, if you can't afford it, don't suggest it in the first place. I think it should just be the expectation that's set from the outset.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's if you don't want to pay more than a certain amount. She just should have sent the message that she sent when she first organized. Yeah, like, hey, guys, I'm gonna have this many sausages and some nibbles and stuff. If you want anything else, feel free.
Speaker 2: To be Yoh. Someone said, a good wage doesn't mean that they're not in debt. Debt is not visible. They could be paying for something large, like medical bills or some debt they got into when they were younger. Totally. Someone else said, you don't actually know that you're making a grand assumption. What if she had a pay cut or there are some personal circumstances you weren't provy too. Yeah, I think she would work out well on the she's on the money team.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I just want to quickly mention Also, I forgot about this, but nibbles, I literally spent one hundred pinble. You want a cheese platter, so nibbles can be I'll put of one hundred.
Speaker 3: Dollars depending on nibbles could be like little kishas or party pies or like something that if you have that alongside your larger meal like box it out.
Speaker 2: Yes, totally, I agree. I've been trying to do like cheaper things. So the other night when the girls came over, I didn't do a big cheese platter because they are so expensive to pull together. But I did do like, and I'm famous for this. It's on Instagram if you want it, but a baked bree because like it's quite hefty, but like, at the same time, it's not just a bree and six million crackers around it and then having to like bulk it out. I baked one bree with like a packet of Filo pastry around it, so it became like the centerpiece of what we're having. And then we had you know, some fresh baguette and like some dip and some tomato stuff and it was really nice still, but honestly, it was so much cheaper than going and like putting together a cheese platter, because in my head, if I'm putting together a cheese platter, well I'm going to need a hard cheese. I'm going to need a soft.
Speaker 4: Cheese like grape I met.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I mean it like adds up and all the like little things are expensive on that platter totally, whereas like a beautiful little Bree and it doesn't even have to be expensive because you gonna bake it anyway. And then the feelo it worked out so well was in our newsletter a couple of weeks ago. We are not baking it. I don't know what salary you've got to be able to bake your das and that's not where Jess and I live. We can't, all right, Two more one said and I liked this one because they did make me laugh. Sounds like that person who wrote into you guys is a judge e mcjudge, judge. I don't want a friend like that. And then they did like four red flag emojis, and then someone else said, honestly, it's just the last minuteness of it all. It's so fine to ask if food can be provided, planning needs to be requested ahead, so and then they said last minute is quite rude. So I just agree with that. I just think give people time. Yeah, I want to make a bag to Bree and bring it do I can't do that in five minutes because I'm really like slow cook.
Speaker 4: But no, that's so true. I think general, I think we're all.
Speaker 2: On the same page. Yes, don't be judge. Everyone has a different financial circumstance. And if you think someone is stingy, have you actually thought about what their money story could be to lead them to be like that? With myne me? Also, what do you I have this genuine belief? Sorry, going back on a thing again, you cannot tell someone something about themselves that they cannot change in ten seconds. So like beca, I could be like, oh, there's something in your teeth, or hey, can I grab something out of your hair? Or oh, my gosh, did you realize your jumpers on backwards? Like things that you can immediately change about yourself, so you can go, oh, thanks, b And obviously you're not going to say it in front of a group of people. You'll be like, oh, Beck, you jumpies on backwards and you go, oh, my god, of course it is. If you can't fix it in ten seconds, you should not be pointing that out to somebody else. You're going, oh, Jess, you're really stingy. Wait what that's so rude? One out of ten, one out of ten. So let's leave it there for this week.
Speaker 4: What do you reckon seeing sister?
Speaker 2: Have a good weekend, my loves, and we will see you bright and early for another money Diary on Monday.
Speaker 4: Bye guys, byee.
Speaker 5: The advice sheared on Cheese on the Money is general in nature and does not consider individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money SHERPA pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine