Speaker 1: Hi Heart Podcasts, hear more Kiss Podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Good Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Ben Radio work our windows down.
Speaker 3: If my worldris in the dust, only good vibs out all down. I've don't much, but yeah, I know I'll big get and what I want.
Speaker 4: It don't matter where.
Speaker 1: This is the pickup, Hi guys, It's the Pickup with Britt Hockeley and Laura Ben.
Speaker 4: Welcome back. Oh do you know you're still in cloud nine?
Speaker 3: Well I was just about to say yes, but I'm riding some rollercoaster waves.
Speaker 4: So I got married last week.
Speaker 3: If you guys are just catching up to speed, I got back to love my life.
Speaker 4: Ben.
Speaker 3: He is here in Australia with me. I say that because he lives in Italy. He's here with me for another couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: But it's a.
Speaker 3: Funny wave, like I've heard people talk about the low that you can get. Like it's like, I guess, the wedding equivalent of baby blues, Like when you're on a hype for so long looking forward to and then your hormones drop, and then the energy drops and you're exhausted and your stress and you've got nothing to like plan or look forward to any more. Everyone says, you go on this low and I feel like I'm hitting it. And I said to Ben, I feel really sad and like really down, and you know it's over this thing that you put on this pedestal and.
Speaker 4: Like it's all you think about for a year. You're like, no, I just have the marriage to look forward to. Oh gosh, Like now we just have to like spend time with other.
Speaker 5: I was like, what have you.
Speaker 1: Done with your wedding dress? Because for anyone who hasn't seen it, Print's wedding dress was the single handedly the biggest wedding dress I have ever seen in my entire life. It was large, she might get Your aisle was four meters across and the wedding dress train touched either side.
Speaker 3: I had to custom build the aisle. Yeah they didn't yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah no one helped you. You did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, by yourself in the morning of the wedding, because you just really are a can do attitude kind of gat.
Speaker 3: It was over in Bali, but we did in advance. I said, look, I think we need to do some measurements. Because I'm not convinced I'm going to fit down the aisle with my dress, and I had to send them my dress and my mum and dad both walked me down the aisle on either side, so that like added to the width anyway. They built a four meter wine aisle and I only just fit down. I leave in a two bedroom apartment. My dress takes up my living room. It's insane.
Speaker 4: Well, look, the wedding did go off without a hitch. No thanks true no, thanks.
Speaker 1: To my husband who tried to give it away.
Speaker 4: To all of the media.
Speaker 1: The day of My husband, Matt has been leaking things on his podcast, and usually we're on the same page with things that is okay for him to talk about all things that I talk about on.
Speaker 4: The radio show.
Speaker 1: That he's really crossed the line, and Britt, I'm going to tell you about it next.
Speaker 4: It's the pickup on kiss Now. Britt, you and I have.
Speaker 1: Been doing a podcast together, Life on Car podcast or.
Speaker 4: Anyone wants to go and listen.
Speaker 1: We've been doing this together for six years, right, and I think between you and I we have a pretty good gauge on what is or isn't appropriate to share in terms of storytelling because.
Speaker 4: I'd say a perfect gauge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I you know my husband and he also has a podcast, and like sometimes we tell personal stories, whether it be about parenting or it be about what's happened in our lives. And Matt and I are pretty much always on the same page. Like I don't think I've ever crossed a line in sharing a story that he wasn't okay with.
Speaker 3: No, And I think this might surprise a lot of people because our job is to talk. We do five radio shows a week and we do three podcasts a week.
Speaker 4: People think we share everything. We absolutely don't.
Speaker 3: Like there are so many things that we know for our relationships or our friendships, like where the line totally or for.
Speaker 1: Like privacy, sometimes it's not your own story and so like you're not going to share someone else's secrets. But recently, I mean we were talking about it and I was telling I was telling you, guys, if you were listening the other week, how Matt and I have chosen our third baby's baby name.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but you wouldn't actually tell us.
Speaker 5: You kept beeping it out.
Speaker 1: We beat it out because like I just assumed that a baby name unless you've had a conversation with your partner unless you both have mutually agreed that you're not going to tell peop people or that you are going to tell people. I feel like that that's the decision you come to together. And now, for reference, I'm not saying like tell your friends or tell your mom or tell you. I'm talking about like talking about it on a podcast or saying it on a national radio show. I feel like that's one of those things that the line you should just kind of check and make sure everyone's okay with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent agree.
Speaker 1: So I alluded to the fact that we've chosen a name, first name, middle name, and the first name starts with P, and we were pretty certain on that. I receive a message whilst we're away and BALI for your wedding bread by a listener who doesn't listen to our podcast, who doesn't listen to this radio show, but she listens to Matt's podcast, and she said, I just wanted to say the name Poppy is so cute.
Speaker 4: I think you've chosen a great name.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I'm sorry, what, And then she goes, oh, was Matt not meant to say it on the podcast?
Speaker 4: I then went.
Speaker 1: Through the transcript of two doting dads, and Matt not only did he say the name that we actually chose, he don't your onborn baby.
Speaker 4: It gets it worse, so he dogs our unbond baby.
Speaker 1: Now everyone, in case you're curious, we're calling it poppy. It's it's not a pick up exclusive.
Speaker 4: So is that out?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: It's out pop star, it's out popped up poppy.
Speaker 5: I've got popped up.
Speaker 4: I like that. Yeah, cute, lollipop, popsicle cute. I don't call my dad. I love that.
Speaker 1: Poppy means we've got a Marley, a Lola, and a Poppy, and I feel like those names fit beautifully together. What happens if it comes out she comes out sorry, and it doesn't look like a poppy, and you're like, you're not poppy. I just feel like babies all look weird anyway. I feel like they could be anything.
Speaker 4: So just stick to it.
Speaker 1: Like what baby came out and looked like a David it grew into that name or.
Speaker 4: An interesting example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, continue, No, I get it, like Frank baby.
Speaker 1: So I have something to tell you as well, and that is is that there were more things that my husband has leaked recently. So you made it very clear. I mean, we didn't talk about it on the show. We didn't talk about it on the pod. We have not spoken about it anywhere. And that was the details surrounding your wedding. We all went to Bali on a seat mission to get Brit hitched.
Speaker 4: Everyone really, everyone was well aware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Britt was posting from Italy pretending she was in Europe. I was also on a work trip in Bali, so I had said I was over there for work and managed to kind of, you know, fly under the radar. Our friends, all the everyone who's from Australia that was traveling over there all pretended as though they were not in Bali.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, my husband, my husband got on two doting dads and said on his podcast, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: We're going over to Bali for.
Speaker 1: BRIT's wedding the day what the day.
Speaker 4: Of your wedding?
Speaker 1: That came out, So that came out at six am in.
Speaker 4: Is he that thirsty for a headline? Do you know what he said? He's like, you guys, get everything he goes. I even have to give my baby gender reveals to the pickup. He's like, give me this the wedding is.
Speaker 3: Not your fair, but the wedding doesn't come into the baby gender reveal. No, it was an honest mistake and the problem was to be out the location, give coordinates like time, Friends, schedule Pandaura Estate.
Speaker 4: Pandal Clip Estate, guest list. Yeah, he put a drop and that was just me assurance on the left wing. No, he yeah, he was devastated.
Speaker 1: So once again, someone one of his listeners slid into my DMS.
Speaker 4: And was like, hey, was Matt meant.
Speaker 1: To give away the fact that you guys are all over there for its wedding, which I said, no, No, he was it. He made a mistake because he had pre recorded that episode and so when he looked at the dates, he just assumed that it was going to be retrospective, that your wedding would have already happened and it would have been okay. He didn't realize it was the day.
Speaker 3: I must admit, that would have been very hard to cross check your release date with the wedding dates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's asking a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a big cost, a lot of data there to go through.
Speaker 1: Mat he was so sad. I don't think it was sad.
Speaker 4: My wedding got doxed. Baby's name got doxed. Think about the children.
Speaker 5: To be fair.
Speaker 1: He was almost in tears when he realized and he had the he had the podcast taken down straight away.
Speaker 4: Several thousand people had already listened. But that's okay.
Speaker 3: Put your wedding invites out for Matt, put them on the stoop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll put the baby out for him. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So if you're just catching up all of us here at the pick up went over to Barley last.
Speaker 4: Week for my wedding. It was like my secret little squirrel wedding. We ran away. It was wonderful.
Speaker 1: It was beautiful as we just established not that secret, but you know, not that secret thanks to my husband.
Speaker 3: But I feel like in Bali there are certain rules that just like everyone knows, certain things that you have to follow. You don't drink the tapewater ever, you always wear a helmet if you ride a scooter, and you'd be extra cautious around the monkeys because the monkeys are everywhere.
Speaker 1: Anyone who goes to Bali and goes anywhere near where the monkeys are has a monkey story, like everyone does.
Speaker 4: It's just part and parcel of going to Barley.
Speaker 3: There is a monkey still running around Barley somewhere with my visa line.
Speaker 4: There is a monkey wearing my visit and it took it out of your mouth. You should see them.
Speaker 3: But producer, Grace, you've been to Bali before, right, you should know the rules I do.
Speaker 4: What happened to you, Grace?
Speaker 2: A monkey came and ripped my phone out of my hand and stole it.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're making that sound a little bit too easy. You went into like a monkey temple.
Speaker 2: Okay, So just to set it up a little bit, I have had not one, but two close encounters with monkeys the last two times I've been to Bali.
Speaker 5: Both times I was bitten. I was viciously attacked.
Speaker 4: You attacked.
Speaker 2: I vowed, never again will I go to a monkey forest in Bali.
Speaker 5: I did not realize that monkeys aren't just in monkey.
Speaker 1: Forests, they also live in print like majority of the temples.
Speaker 2: So we went to a temple, we did some sightseeing, and a large monkey came up to me and just stole it from that.
Speaker 4: What were you doing waving your phone around? Like, well, how did I come? How did it come up and take?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Grace, is there filming content? Job?
Speaker 5: Was holding it.
Speaker 2: I was looking at something on my phone and then someone called out my name and I dropped my hand and looked away.
Speaker 4: Oh, and he just took it straight.
Speaker 5: It was it was like he was casing me.
Speaker 2: He looked at me when this woman is a chump and I'm going to take her phone.
Speaker 3: So you didn't see he was there like he was like a spy came out of nowhere like monkeys.
Speaker 1: I don't believe this one second. Grace knew that there were monkeys all around her.
Speaker 4: I saw the video.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there were a lot of monkeys.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you just let your guard down.
Speaker 5: I let my guard down.
Speaker 2: You're a bit cocky, yes, So I was like, I'm not going to get a bit in this time.
Speaker 5: I'm going to be so good.
Speaker 4: I'll give them one thousand dollar iPhone. And so what was the monkey's attitude?
Speaker 5: Like like, oh, so cavalier.
Speaker 4: So he not like a bit cheeky, like a bit cheeky.
Speaker 5: He took my screen protector off.
Speaker 4: He's like, I'll show you.
Speaker 5: He went, you know what, I have a posable thumbs and I'm going to use them.
Speaker 4: Peeled that screen protector off. He's like trying to crack. He's trying to crack the pass code.
Speaker 1: I saw this because it was uploaded onto Instagram. Your friend who was there was filming it as well and managed to capture the whole thing as it was going down. You looking quite concerned, the phone being taken off into the forest, and everyone everyone was just standing around filming the phone being taken away, but not helping.
Speaker 5: Such a crowd.
Speaker 2: I've never been like so famous. All these people were like, wow, look at this loser, got a phone stolen. I'm in a film it I'm probably on everyone's TikTok.
Speaker 1: And then one of the monkey handlers or the I don't even know what is there.
Speaker 4: They're like in unofficial zookib. They just they control the monkeys in the temples.
Speaker 1: And he managed to get the phone back and it all was good in the world.
Speaker 2: It was good. He gave me a bit of a talking to. He was like, be careful.
Speaker 4: He actually I.
Speaker 3: Saw that he looked at you like you're the biggest idiot, and he was just like.
Speaker 4: Keep your phone on you Like, I feel like everyone has a story like this.
Speaker 1: I when I was in Bali many many moons ago, we went to the monkey temple and there was a little monkey and it was so cute. It was like a baby monkey that had clearly just ventured away from its mum. And it was sitting on a bag of powdered concrete and it was eating powdered concrete. I was like, and this is back in the day when you couldn't good so I know. I was like, the poor thing's gonna.
Speaker 4: Die because when you mix it with water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I wanted to help it because I care about amimals. I was like, you, poor little thing. So this really over a decade ago. You used to be able to take bananas into the monkey forest and you could feed them. They obviously don't do that anymore because it didn't end well for a lot of people. So I had a couple of bananas and I gave one. I tried to take the concrete away and hand the banana over, thought that'd be a more desirable dish. Anyway, the little monkey went absolutely feral, pushed the banana out of my hand, grabbed onto my shirt, and bit straight through my t shirt into my stomach. And I just was like, okay, well I probably should get a raby shop.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Two weeks later, I traveled back, but in Bali they're actually quite hard to come across, and so sometimes if they're at a low on stock, you've got to fly to Singapore. And I was like, I'm not flying to Singapore to get a raby shop. I'll just get it when I get home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fair for rabies, it's probably worth a.
Speaker 1: Flight, Yeah, one hundred percent. It's so expensive, though.
Speaker 4: So is dying from rabies. That also sucks.
Speaker 2: Laura.
Speaker 1: I was in my twenties and I was, you know, I was careless and reckless. So I got home to Australia, I book myself straight in, went to the GP, sat down and said I got be in by a monkey And she was like, oh yeah, when I was like two weeks ago.
Speaker 4: She goes, you can't get a raby shot.
Speaker 1: Now you're on the you're outside of the time frame that you needed in You're gonna die. And something I didn't know about rabies he's awarding to everyone. Apparently the side effects of it can present themselves in any time up to ten years after being exposed, so you can just spontaneously go rabid. Eight years after being bitten by a monkey in Balley, how.
Speaker 4: Long ago was that because a lot of things are making sense to me right now. I think it was ten years. I think I'm in the clue. I think you're in the customer. I think I'm in the clue.
Speaker 1: So it's actually okay, there's no there's no rabies in the monkeys in BALI.
Speaker 3: Well, so my husband now Ben, so he's spin to Balley before, but he's still you know, he's swears and they don't spend as much time over there as we have.
Speaker 4: He almost died by a monkey this trip. We were like, he has life insurance. We were in each.
Speaker 3: Other's villa in Abula, sorry, in opposite rooms that weren't attached, and we could see glass windows right, and that was outside, so there's a little hallway between us. And I see Ben walk out of his little glass door, walk down outside with some fruit in his hand, and I'm like, is he going to sit by the pool to eat?
Speaker 4: And then I hear him go here, monkey monkey, And I was like what, and he's like monkey, monkey, monkey. Anyway. I look out and.
Speaker 3: It's not a cute little baby monkey. It's one of those big boys with a mustache. He had like a full mustache that was going up. Anyway, Ben's trying to Ben's trying to make a peace offering to him.
Speaker 4: He's holding out fruit and this monkey is sitting up. They'll mess you up. Launches.
Speaker 3: This monkey is chasing Ben and it's like an ape. It's like a gorilla chasing him. Ben realizes very quickly that he's made a gray bearer. He throws the fruit and I was like, run bend, but I closed my door to protect myself.
Speaker 5: And through the glass I say, run band quick.
Speaker 4: This thing's catching him.
Speaker 3: He jumps inside his door, closes the glass as it hits the glass. It was like, what what was that movie where the monkeys will try and.
Speaker 4: Eat the Jamanji?
Speaker 5: The apes planet.
Speaker 4: Planet of the Apes.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I had to give Ben a talking to and I was like, these guys aren't your friends.
Speaker 1: Like they're cute, but you could die here. This is your warning to anyone going to Balley.
Speaker 4: I mean, everyone.
Speaker 1: Knows this is not going to come as as a surprise for anyone. The monkeys are not that friendly. Stay away from them now, Britt. We've obviously just come back from a trip to Bali for your wedding. As we Wedding of the Century, I feel like we're gonna be talking about it every day for the next forever until we exhausted all the content.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I haven't even started posting photos.
Speaker 5: Just you wait.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, one thing I have done, and this is so unlike me, and I think I already know which version of this person you're going to be.
Speaker 4: But I'm curious.
Speaker 1: I came home from this trip with sixty kilos worth of luggage because there was me, my husband, and our two kids. Now that is three entire suitcases. I am the sort of person that normally gets home from a holiday and it takes me around a month to fully unpack and fully get all the clothes washed out of the suitcase and get them all put away.
Speaker 4: We arrived home on Sunday night.
Speaker 1: Sunday morning, I woke up and I was like, no, I'm not going to be that person this time. I am going to be the person that fully unpacks, washes every load, and puts them away in the wardrobe. It took me the whole day, mind you, an entire day. I feel like I must have gotten distracted on my phone several times.
Speaker 3: I'm one hundred percent you've gotten distracted, But it made me realize.
Speaker 4: Firstly, I want to know which one you are.
Speaker 1: And secondly, it made me realize that there's always two types of people that are traveling. There's the person that organizes the trip, the personality A type, the people that book the tickets, they book the restaurants, they book the itinery, they unpack their suitcase when they arrive on holidays. And there's the personality B types, which are me and they're just lucky that they've got a visa planned and they.
Speaker 4: Rock up with a ticket. One hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I am person B, but my husband now has forced me to be person A because he's more person B than I thought was possible.
Speaker 4: I didn't wear pants to the wedding. That's how person B is.
Speaker 1: This is weaponized in competence, when you just refuse to do something so the other person has to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he didn't even have your suit I okay, you came home with sixty I'm embarrassed to admit this, Ben and I came home with ninety two killers. We have only two people, Yeah no, but we had wedding dresses and like grooms and stuff.
Speaker 4: And how many suitcases is that?
Speaker 3: We had six suitcases and a wedding dress and a little carry on luggage and then backpacks.
Speaker 1: Sorry, how many Ben's own?
Speaker 5: He doesn't believe it.
Speaker 1: So we've really detalked. We're not talking about that anymore. Who cares about personality? B you had ninety two kilos?
Speaker 4: Yep, yeah, I'm not even embarrassed. Whatever I'm leaning into it. Yeah, so winning. I don't usually travel with that much.
Speaker 3: But what I will say is sometimes I don't unpack because I go over to.
Speaker 4: See my film.
Speaker 3: Say Ben, like every eight weeks he lives overseas. Sometimes I just don't unpack for eight months. My suitcase stays there for two months. Sorry, suitcase stays there, and then I just.
Speaker 4: Zip it back up and go.
Speaker 3: I did test unpacking, but Ben is the same, and you cannot have two people together that are the same.
Speaker 4: It doesn't work.
Speaker 3: So I was forcing me to be a better person, but he's not coming along with me, which I.
Speaker 4: Don't think is fare Like.
Speaker 1: This is why in your own wedding vows, when you said, like, you make me a better person, he makes you one, I mean I hope you also made him well.
Speaker 3: In my wedding vows, I was like, I hope to make you the best version you can be.
Speaker 4: I was like subliminal messages in mybile.
Speaker 1: The thing that made me realize this is because my sister came over as well. And now my sister is so fundamentally a type a personality that when we travel together, I become a complete passenger princess. I don't book a thing, I don't look at any restaurants, I don't bother because I kind of feel as though one she likes being in control, so she likes to know exactly what's going on, but also she's doing it anyway, So I'm like you, if that's gonna make you feel good about it, you go ahead. She's the type of person that arrives at midnight and we'll get to the hotel and we'll unpack every single thing in their suitcase into the wardrobe.
Speaker 4: So a sociopath, maybe yeah, she will do the whole thing.
Speaker 1: And I am the person that lives out of a suitcase for the entire week, and then I just rummage around trying to put it all back in.
Speaker 4: Why was it the hang stuff up they do?
Speaker 1: The one and only time I have ever done this where I put things into the wardrobe, I was overseas in Fiji, my husband and I we traveled and I was like, don know what would be so nice to hang my dresses up because I'm going to be that person personality a guess who left all her dresses in PJ in a wardrobe absolutely shure.
Speaker 4: And I never got them back.
Speaker 3: Okay, I feel like I could save this for a whole nother day, but I'll throw it in whatever, go for it.
Speaker 4: So just to really double down on like the difference between Ben and I.
Speaker 3: The only thing I asked Ben to plan basically for the wedding was after.
Speaker 4: We got married.
Speaker 3: We had two days in Bali for out the mini honeymoon, that's it, two.
Speaker 4: Days before we had to come back here for work.
Speaker 3: I said, Ben, can you just book us those two nights somewhere nice, just like for the mini honeymoon?
Speaker 4: On it.
Speaker 3: This is like months and months months ago. Do you know when he booked the day after the wedding. Oh no, he didn't book We were one hour away from checking out to go to the next hotel. In my head, I was like, I'll push it as long as I can to see when he does it.
Speaker 4: How long one hour to go?
Speaker 3: And one of our grooms men came up and said, hey, I understand you gotta know where to go, say as a wedding present.
Speaker 4: I've booked it for you.
Speaker 3: So within the one hour, Ben was like, Babe, stop pressuring me like you, if you refuse to do something long enough, it always gets done for you.
Speaker 4: Terrible. That's his proble.
Speaker 1: Terrible technique, and that probably doesn't end in a happy marriage. But good luck.
Speaker 4: Love you Ben, Love you Ben. Oh, I mean if we'll end in a hay Bes check there. Okay, Benny is in the room.
Speaker 1: No, no, my friend, Oh my gosh, we must go because Britain. Ben have to get a marriage counseling already, they've only been together.
Speaker 4: Ben's trying to get a hold of a microphone. Well, thanks for listening. We will be back tomorrow.