Speaker 1: Already and this is this is the Daily This is the Daily OS.
Speaker 2: Oh, now it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Good morning, and welcome to the good News edition of the Daily OS. It is Saturday, the twenty second of March. I'm Sam, I'm Billy, and what a special edition this is. It was International Day of Happiness on Thursday, and we're coming at you with some stories to make you happy in a week where it's all about celebrating happy. And how many times I can say happy.
Speaker 2: I just feel happy hearing you say happy.
Speaker 4: I love a good international day.
Speaker 2: We do love a good international day.
Speaker 1: Last week we talked about International Day of the Pie or National Day of the Pie.
Speaker 2: I can't quite remember, but it was a big day.
Speaker 1: And now we're celebrating International Day of Happiness, which there could not be a more fitting podcast for Sam. Let's start with some big news from the International Olympic Committee that came out yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well they have a point Kirsty Coventry to be the new President of the International Olympic Committee and that means she is the first woman and the first person from Africa to be appointed to the role. And it's a really big deal. And we're already thinking about the twenty twenty eight Games in.
Speaker 1: La and then the twenty thirty two Olympics in Brisbane.
Speaker 3: In Brisbane, and I'm hoping that the weather really behaves itself for the couple of weeks that everybody in the world will be looking at that city and perhaps Kirsty Coventry will be still the IOC president when we come around to Brisbane. They tend to stay in the positions for quite a while, and she's the youngest ever. She's forty one, so she has set a number of records with this position, and she defeated a field of seven other contenders at the recent IOC meeting in Greece this week to land what many call the most powerful job in world sport. So it's pretty amazing. We have a forty one year old woman from Africa in the most powerful job in world sport.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 3: So she will officially take the role on June twenty four. Thomas Buch who has been in the position for twelve years, he'll step down and it's a massive year. I mean, it's not going to be an easy job for her. There's a lot of big issues for sport to face, particularly in the areas of doping and in gender classifications, in ensuring that the Paralympics have a really bright future. So it's definitely not a walk in the park. But Kirsty Coventry is an Olympian herself, and she seems to be outlining a really optimistic vision for world sport, and I'm really excited to.
Speaker 4: Watch what she can do.
Speaker 3: And why don't we stick with sport now, Billy, And there was a world record you really wanted to talk to us about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, last time we did the Good News podcast together, I spoke about the free diving documentary that I watched on Netflix, and I became obsessed with the sport and how fitting that was because this week Russian free diver Yakatarina Nekrasova is believed to have set a new world record for swimming under ice without a wet suit and just a pair of flippers. The video of her doing this is absolutely insane. Is literally just wearing a normal one piece that you would wear at the beach.
Speaker 2: And she's in freezing, freezing water.
Speaker 1: It made me feel bad that this morning I was meant to go for an ocean swim and I was like, no, too cold, and she's literally in ice cold water. She swam one hundred and twenty two meters under the frozen surface of a lake in Russia, and after the swim, she said, when I looked at the distance yesterday, it was very scary. But when you swim and see just the distance you have to overcome, it's not scary. Well, it's not as scary as I imagined. It would be such a brilliant attitude. And now they just have to wait for the officials to confirm that it was indeed a world record, but Russian state media is reporting that it was.
Speaker 3: And what's amazing about that feet is there are two really difficult factors there that anyone would struggle with. The first is the temperature of the water. I mean, can you imagine doing one hundred and twenty two meters in essentially an ice bath.
Speaker 2: Have you done an ice bath before?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I've sat there for eight seconds and gotten out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Your body literally is in so much physical pain in those first few seconds. I can barely do anything, let alone swim. Putting your head underwater even it's just insane.
Speaker 3: But then the other part of this that really amazes me is the fact that it's under ice. If you think about what that would mentally do to you, the idea that you can't you can't bail out, right, and so they would have, I assume, kind of cut the circle of ice one hundred and twenty two meters away from where she started, and the only way was straight.
Speaker 1: To keep going. If you got halfway and decided actually, I'm not sure I can do this, there aren't really any options.
Speaker 2: You just have to keep going.
Speaker 3: It's a really amazing story in pushing through discomfort. I think that one yeh and congratulations to your Cutterina for setting a world record. However, however, yes, yes she swam under one hundred and twenty two meters a device, but when it comes to world records, I needed to respond to your story with a big shout out.
Speaker 2: To David Rush for those listening.
Speaker 1: Sorry, just before you get into this story, Sam and I had a conversation off Mike where I was like, I'm not sure that this world record that he's about to talk about beats the Russian free diver who is swimming under ice.
Speaker 2: But the listeners can tell us.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the difference between people like David and myself and the rest of the population is that sometimes it's hard to know when greatness is thrust upon you.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell us what the world record was that he set.
Speaker 3: He has set a new world record for the fastest time to juggle in all sixty three national parks in the US.
Speaker 2: And how many people will have that's sinking? How many people have done that before him?
Speaker 3: Slight caveat to that. He doesn't know, and so he's applied for the world record, saying, well, I did this. It took him five years.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is my question. Why did it take him five years? Surely you could do that?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, sorry, if.
Speaker 1: There are sixty three national parks in the US. I mean, technically you could probably do this world record in sixty three days.
Speaker 3: There's nothing more infuriating I think for you know, the great visionaries amongst us than people like you sitting there. I mean, that is the equivalent of you walking into an art gallery and going I could paint that. I mean, we're talking about a great man. But you need What you need to understand about David is that this is already somebody who had the world record for the most world records. So he got to the top of Everest metaphorically and he said, I'm at the top. I am officially the greatest world record breaker in world record history, and I'm going to go again by juggling in all sixty three national parks. It's amazing. I mean, he's now investigating whether his son's he's passing him this down through generations. He's now investigating whether his sons have also broken a world record for being the youngest brothers to all visit all sixty three national parks.
Speaker 1: What a job, professional world record holder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's had, I mean, he's had an amazing twelve months. He set the world record last year for fifteen world records, including the most bites taken from three apples while struggling in one minute one hundred ninety eight bytes, the most hits of a table tennis ball against a wall in one minute, three hundred and ninety eight hits, and the fastest time to fold and throw a paper aeroplane in five point one two seconds. Oh and just by the way, sorry, just by the way. He also set those records amongst fifteen world records that he's set on the same day to set the world record for the most world records broken in a day.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed.
Speaker 1: I am sorry that I undermined his many, many achievements.
Speaker 3: This is somebody, I mean, seriously, somebody we should all be looking to. As I mean, ignore the one hundred and twenty two meters under ice. This is where progress happens.
Speaker 1: I love your passion for it. And if David Rush is listening, which I'm sure he is, he doesn't have time. He is.
Speaker 2: He has a number one fan in Sam Kozlowski.
Speaker 3: He's called record Breaking Rush is his internet name.
Speaker 1: Okay to finish, in case you missed it, Sam. It was the twenty twenty five Vet Shop Australia Surfing Dog Championships in Noosa last weekend in Queensland. They had fourteen teams consisting of humans and their talented dogs showing off their surfing talents. The photos and videos literally show the people surfing just with their dogs on the board. It's impossible to look at the photos and not just have the biggest smile on your face.
Speaker 2: Is it's just so cute. It's impossible to not make you happy.
Speaker 1: And this year's winners were Red cattle dog Bear and he's sixteen year old owner. A win for the young people, Isaac Wow.
Speaker 3: Congratulations to Bear. And Isaac for surfing only a matter of weeks after a cyclonic event off the coast. I mean to get in the ocean, pop and all is pretty amazing, now, Billy, I.
Speaker 1: Was going to add one, Yeah, you go, I wanted to add I love the community stories like this surfing dog competition, and I just wanted to.
Speaker 2: Really quickly add that.
Speaker 1: Last Saturday, when I was doing my run, I came across a competition that was happening in a local park.
Speaker 2: It was called Last.
Speaker 1: Man Standing and the people competing had to do six point seven kilometers every single hour and you just had to be the last man's standing. When I came across it, there were twenty eight hours in Oh my gosh, and there was ten people remaining, and then the winner eventually went on. I wasn't still there, but they did forty hours of running six point seven kilometers every single hour.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. I mean, it reminds me of Actually, there was one time this week that there's steps that go up my apartment blocked my apartment. I went up two at the time. So I mean, no matter where you look, there was progress this week.
Speaker 1: This is really your podcast about incredible human perseverance.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's about finding the beauty in the every day and that's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Billy.
Speaker 3: Do you have a recommendation for us to take us out?
Speaker 1: I have a very random recommendation. You would see if you have been in your local supermarket recently that there is a lot of Easter food about. And my recommendation is to get a hot Cross bun and get a caramelk Easter egg and put the Easter egg on the hot Cross bun, put it in in the oven, let it cook.
Speaker 2: The chocolate will become.
Speaker 1: Nice and melted, a little bit crusty, and it is just the most delicious thing in the world. It's amazing, very random, but highly recommend What is your recommendation.
Speaker 3: My recommendation is a very quick story. So I was listening to a podcast by a kind of like psychologist philosopher.
Speaker 2: I like listening to is It mel Robbins.
Speaker 3: No, Simon Sinek. He talks a lot about optimism and leadership, and he told this story about these two guys who went out every single day to go chopwood in the forest, and they both left at the same time, and then at lunchtime, one of the guys would leave and have a long break and then come back, and the other guy would stay there and just chop as much.
Speaker 4: Wood as he could.
Speaker 3: After a couple of weeks, the guy who was doing all day chopping realized that the other guy was chopping more and he couldn't work out why. He was like, what the hell, You're taking breaks through the day and I'm here slaving away, chopping as much as I can. And so he said to him, what do you do when you go and take breaks?
Speaker 4: Like you?
Speaker 3: Like? How what's going on? And the guy who took breaks said, he goes and sharpens his blade. And I thought that was a beautiful story about reminding everybody to take a break and that taking a break actually helps make the work that you're doing when you're on better. I love that it's a beautiful story.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 4: It's well obviously not.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I did like these stories are always like, you know, fables, like it's a nice example. I'm sure we can find a guy who's chopping faster than the other guy. True, let's pretend it's true. But I think to hear that for everybody listening on a Saturday, it's a good reminder to make sure that you've got a sharp blade and that you're looking after yourselves and you had a good International Happiness Day, International Happiness Week. And that's all from us on the Good News podcast of The Daily Odds.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to TDA this week.
Speaker 1: We'll be back on Monday with another deep dive, but until then, have a beautiful weekend, have a break, sharpen your blade, eat some hot cross buns, and we'll see you on Monday.
Speaker 2: My name is Lily Maddon and I'm a proud Arunda Bunjelung Calgodon woman from Gadighl Country.
Speaker 1: The Daily oz acknowledges that this podcast is recorded on the lands of the Gadighl people and pays respect to all Aboriginal and Torrestrate island and nations.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries, both past and present.