Speaker 1: Flex and Kada.
Speaker 2: Hello Dol, Welcome to the Flex and Frames podcast. We have a big, big, sweaty, scary pheromone, heavy art, freaking out, Cortisol levels absolutely extremely high. We are talking about my trip to Bali, the moment when I almost lost my life and the subsequent time lost a few brain steals and I couldn't breathe for a bit. I'm just gonna be telling a story, and it's a very traumatizing story.
Speaker 3: I feel like the average person has a few of those, but this one in particular is so recent and for adulthood especially spooky.
Speaker 2: Very embarrassing. But we learn valuable lessons and you lived. What about the alternative?
Speaker 3: I don't want to say it's fifty to fifty, but of all the ways to go drowning on a trip to Bali.
Speaker 2: It's one for the record books. Who would be able to tell you a story? Babe? Yeah? What would we do for work?
Speaker 3: I always think about that, right the day that I'm like I've lost my voice?
Speaker 1: What do we do?
Speaker 2: What's happening? You know what? I was actually thinking that I was just being terrible.
Speaker 3: As you're caught in the riot, be like, wait a second, how do I NA what to do.
Speaker 2: We'd make it work.
Speaker 3: It would be so sad if our replacement was just organized like that.
Speaker 2: That's what I think about as well, And it wasn't like a different show concept, just like sluck right in.
Speaker 3: This is what Freus would usually say, So just do it this way.
Speaker 2: I have to change the whole put photoshop someone's head on our little point. I cancel it. Drinking that cancel the whole show. Well, if you die on my show, you don't want to lose that salary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I would change the concept. I wouldn't flex and just someone else's name.
Speaker 2: Maybe you're the one that wanted me to drown. Take my paypacket with you.
Speaker 3: For me, put me in her will. This is what she wanted. We've discussed it many a time. This is hot too, But anyway, we talk about a lot more than Frooms' almost untimely death rip gone too soon? Still here fortunately, fortunately, but you know if you stay you'll hear it.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: This is Flex and Frooms on Cada.
Speaker 2: I have some really bad news. If you're listening to this in a car, I'm so jealous of you, because this morning I went to come into Cada open my car door to put my suitcase into the back, and what do I find? I find my front seat completely burnt. The headrest is no more, it's burnt, does not exist, it's melting, crispy crispy. The whole top of my car burnt black. It stinks. Devilish scene, devilish.
Speaker 3: It was. Honestly, what did you notice first? You've unlocked your car, You've gone to sit in the driver's seat. What was the first thing that came to mind?
Speaker 2: Well, I open up the back door to put the suitcase in the back. So I open it up, I'm like, oh, it kind of smells bad. I look to my left and the head rest is completely melted and gone. Did something you explode without me noticing? So I have this moment of thinking, oh, no, like I've burnt it down. Then I see the roof. I'm like, okay, this definitely wasn't This is like arson. And then I look on the floor and there's a packet of cigarettes. You don't smoke. I don't smoke, you don't. And my second thought was like, I'm gonna grab cigarettes that's expensive and sell them. But I'm not going to touch anything until the police come the police are going to come tonight, so stay tuned. Ooh a date with the ops? Yeah, love and op.
Speaker 3: Do you know what the spookiest part of this whole story is, because obviously opening up your car seeing it burnt to a crisp horrifying. But what is the most nightmarish aspect of that is the fact that your windows weren't bust open. It was a gentle lock picking. Someone sat in your car, had a few ciggies with some mates, and then what burnt? The inside burnt the evidence? What was if they just lock picked, had a ciggi and left, could have been fine. Why did the arson have to come into play and they didn't even steal anything?
Speaker 2: Why would you do? That doesn't make any sense, which is why it feels targeted. It feels very targeted. It feels very specific. I don't think I have any enemies, and I make a real I make a real effort not to ever show my car on Instagram. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But while you might not, while you may be making an effort not to be noticed as a public figure, you are seen. For all the people who recognize you. You're not aware of them, they're aware of you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, So if you're listening to this and you burnt down my car, thank you, because I'm probably gonna get Toyota Corolla. That's what I'm seeing in my future. That's what you want. Well, I want something that's fuel efficient and good resale value. What you're gonna sell the car? Maybe if i'd level up daughter right here, I want to make a profit.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you know this about me, and if you don't know, this makes for a perfect confession. One of my I'm gonna call it a hobby is to go onto business's websites and see if they've got any research and data.
Speaker 2: You look shocked. I'm just shocked by how you can be bothered doing anything that you do because you're doing things that I wonder couldn't pay me to do this as a hobby.
Speaker 3: Like these companies just have so much data about stuff and the best one to do something with that data. They package it up and they put in a little blog and you learn so much. Uber, for example, has this thing called the Annual Lost and Found Index. It's happened like seven years in a row, where they take all this data of what's been lost and found in ubers and they create this infograph and it's so cool. It's very American centric. They've not really done anything in Australia, but listen to this. The ten most commonly forgot items are like very regular. You could guess five of them off the.
Speaker 2: Back phone, yep, wallet, yep keys, yep, vape glasses. Who's calling back for their vape? Hi's me? I had at least ten more puffs.
Speaker 3: And then they've got data in the most forgetful cities Austin, Texas the second year in the row at number one, which is incredible data to have. And some of the most unique lost items five hundred grams of cavia, a press on nail, supreme underwear, expensive, a Billie Eilish ukulele, forty chicken nuggets, an earn with pet ashes, rip, a power washing machine, a diamond grill. And here's where it gets even better. They've got data on the most forgetful days and times like, are you telling me this is not fascinating? So obviously across the United States, people are most forgetful on Saturdays and Sundays.
Speaker 2: They're getting on it. That's to be expected.
Speaker 3: They're most forgetful in the early evening between forty six and I think that often happens when you're trying to multitask, you get enough work going to the next event, you're not thinking straight.
Speaker 2: It happens. People are most likely to forget their glasses, charges and cardholders on Monday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people are most likely to forget cash and fanny packs.
Speaker 2: On a Friday.
Speaker 3: Fanny pack, I did say fanny pack. That's what they've written down here. What not all brands have this. I would say the best brands do. The best corporations putting their money in research and development, a bit of data analysts. What I think is also just to really I mean not sinister, but just the fact that every interaction you can have with the corporation is going to be cataloged somewhere. You can't just exist freely. That uber being like, put that down. Put that down for the annual index.
Speaker 2: I love it here. Something's working. Something is working, because I'm having a look. You ever lost anything in an over a wallet?
Speaker 3: But he brought it back, Oh god blae, which I hated that for him, like it just was not in the job description. Tipped him fifty for it. Because you have to you have to he probably lost money trying to return my wallet to me. All those calls like so I watch your address and where did you leave it? And how do I know it's your wallet and what's in it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, painful, painful lim Yeah exactly. More people like him, Well, have you lost anything? Yeah, lost a fine months, got it back. No worries, but that feeling when you touch your back pocket you think, yeah, I've done it. You put things to your pocket. Yeah. Problem. Lost my parents' keys the other day around the ten. It's a couple hundred dollars down the drain. Make a thousand electric key gone gone, and you're.
Speaker 1: So annoying you're listening to flex and Frooms on Kada.
Speaker 2: I got back from Bali this week, my first overseas trip since COVID. I was gonna say first, my third time to Bali. Nice the veteran rule and it was so cool. It was pretty much like old times. Didn't have to do anything COVID like just wear a mask on the plane. Otherwise it was just as much of a punished as it always is getting through Bali Airport. You've ever been, yeah, man, the forms the lines ended up getting to my hotel around twelve. I was meeting my family because it's my sister's thirtieth birthday. Family trip, family trip, first overseas holiday since Malaysia in two thousand and four when we had a Saturay incident.
Speaker 3: For those of you who were not here for that story, Rooms went on a family t to Malaysia a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: How old are you? It was eight fifteen eighteen? What I was like, eight? Okay? Great?
Speaker 3: And thy had some kind of agoraphobia so didn't leave the hotel room the whole trip. Thought she'd play a prank on her parents, as the little bush peak does. She wiped some sarte sawcescure onto her parents' bed where her dad's buttocks would be. Mum thought dad poop the bed. Started a huge fight. Rumor has it they're still fighting about.
Speaker 2: It to this day. Can confirm. So go to Bali. We are having an absolute rip snorter over time, probably like second day in My sister and I are by the pool, had a few drinks. Oh and I'm like, hell yeah, let's go into the ocean because our villa was overlooking the ocean. So we in the pool. Premium. I want to have a little bit of like a nature experience. I was like, let's go down to the beach, have a little dip. The waves look funance, So my sister and I get in. We are frolicking. Feels like I'm ageless. When you're in the water, you know, you see nothing but the wave coming towards you. Was it busy, like there was definitely people in the water. It wasn't busy really busy. It was a flop. But there's people on the beach, like people surf shacks and stuff like that, and it's like the whole resort pool is looking over it. So I thought it was really safe. We are fumbling around like in the sand, and my sister she kept telling this story like afterwards that makes me laugh. She was like like crouched in the sand and like her hands like this, and she's like it was like ups driving a car, like going in towards it. Anyway, nothing happens. We go back to the resort and we're like, oh my god, that was so much fun. How fun was that? So fun? So fun? Sand all in our gullets ill gussets. Actually it gets to about three pm. Oh, and I said round two for the let's get in this point, I'm completely sober. I just want to have a bit of like fun and drama. So I'm like, come on, Olivia, let's get in the ocean. And this day it was like perfect, crisp waves, full barrels. I'm like, this looks really fun. I want to try body surfing. Never done it once an adventurous queen. Yeah, So my sister, I'm like, come on, Olivia, come on, Olivia, and she's like, no, you would think both of you eight the way I tell you the story. Come on, Olivia.
Speaker 3: Olivia's turned thirty. If she says no, I'm sure she means it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, come on, come on, come on. And she's like, oh okay. So we walk towards the beach and Mum gets this photo of us. Olivia's like looking back like this with her hand to her chest, ominous. We get in some foreshadow it's sand, and then it drops really suddenly. I'm like, hell, yeah, I want to go deep. So I start swimming out and out, like physically going out hitting waves because I want to get a big wave. Gets to a certain point, Olivia's like, look how far Mumm is okay? I think I'm going to go back in in where oh are out to sure, start swimming back. This is all things that I've heard after it. She starts swinging back. She's not moving, and I'm like, okay, I'm going to turn around and go back. I turn around to go back, not moving, not able to swim in. At this point, are you freaking out? You're like this is odd. I have this moment of this is odd, but it doesn't click to me, even though the day before we had been talking about rips. We've been walking on the beach being like, look, this is what a rip looks like. I was like, look, Olivia, A rip is when the ocean comes in two ways and meets in the middle and then goes out in two ways. It creates a little tunnel for you to get swept out. So it's top of mind. And yet so I'm swimming back, I'm like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I've done it. I'm in a rip. I can't get out, so I'm panicking. Now. I look to my right and probably like ten or twenty meters away, there's a guy giving a girl a surf lesson, like a Balinese guy. And I look at him and then I'm like, fuck it. Like I have to keep swimming. I keep swimming, and then he calls He's like, are you good? How embarrassing? I'm like, yeah, I'm just gonna I don't want to die today. So I'm like, nah, I'm not good. What did you say? I said, no, I'm stark. How did you say it? I said no, I'm stark. You whispered. I said no, I'm stark as you were smiling. Yeah, I smiles like oh yeah, mixed signals. So he's like, swim that way, swim that way. So when you're stuck in a rip, piment to swim and this you knew. I knew, I knew you. You're trying exercise. I didn't want to be like I didn't know what to do. I start swimming to my left. I'm not getting anywhere, Like I'm still stuck. I'm like, okay, now I've really fucked it. I call out to him again, like he's in the middle of a lesson. He's busy lady on board, and I'm like, you really really need to come and help me. So he swims over, thank.
Speaker 1: You, you need to come me.
Speaker 2: And this is the issue with tourists mus and he's like swimming and then going under the water and coming up again. So I'm like this, dad, keep swimming, keep swimming, and he kept looking at me, You're good, and I'm like yeah. Essentially, he keep heeps dragging me, not dragging me, but like just holding my arm so assisting me and where to go. And then he goes, now, put your feet down, and we were standing up. Yeah, and I was like, oh my god, thank god the tide was still pulling me out. But then I just had to like struggle got to the beach. Mum's on the beach at this point.
Speaker 3: She didn't come in because she's like she was gonna lose a daughter that day and she was frying with that.
Speaker 1: This is flex and Frooms on Kada.
Speaker 2: We are telling the story of a woman whose boyfriend smokes a lot. We don't really want to talk about it too much on the radio because they don't want to give you any naughty ideas. We personally don't condonate this woman's boyfriend that've been together three year. He loves to smoke. He smokes twenty four to seven. Did it a lot during lockdown, which I think a lot of people's bad habits kind of like came to the forefront during that time. Not an excuse anyway. She is fed up with this behavior. She thought maybe it was a lockdown thing. It has persisted. This man won't stop smoking. She doesn't smoke, so they're not smoking together, and she's over it. She says to us flex and frooms, what do I do. I'm going to start off by saying, you got yourself into this mess, Hey, I get yourself out of it.
Speaker 3: The habit you build around it, like the repetitive behavior that can be addictive, creating the tradition.
Speaker 2: I think the operative term in this is him saying that it's not addictive but yet not stopping. Maybe it's somebody loves to do. But if I were her, wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath waded right away. He never would love that baby. But I would maybe say, Okay, let's have a little detox for a week. See how he goes without it, because there's going to be times in your life if you stay together. We don't want your man smoking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think that's the issue. Her man does smoke. This is your person. I think that when we find ourselves uncomfortable with someone else's behavior before before we start policing what they should do. You have to self regulate. So, like you knew him as a smoker, now he's even bigger smoker.
Speaker 2: What are you going to like? What are you going to do about it?
Speaker 3: For you, you can adjust how you feel around it. Are you going to manage your own expectations? Or will you dictate that he now changes behavior so you're more comfortable. I know for me, like I am no smoker, but let's change it out. If someone said I don't like how much use TikTok, well I've been using it. I've been on the app, like it's what I do. So now I got to adjust my behavior because you're uncomfortable, Might you adjust your mentality? And I do think it's a slippery slope as someone who's been a past tyrant in relationships, like you've got to really take people as they are, not as you'd prefer them to be. And in this situation, whether or not he feels it's addictive, addictive or not, his behavior says otherwise. So imagine a future where he never stop smoking?
Speaker 2: What are you gonna do? Yeah? Because that's what let's looking like.
Speaker 3: Not just freaking out, but also yeah, figure it out for yourself.
Speaker 2: Again, Flex is not happy if you send in your relationship dilemma.
Speaker 3: She'd rather you just I love hearing about it because I just think of all the things that are so scary about being alive. We always get stuck on these really arbitrary, silly things in the realm of relationship dilemmas, Like what is really being discussed here is not whether this is addictive or not addictive or whatever. But clearly there's a situation here that requires both of your compromise. But I don't necessarily think either party are going at it the right way. I think for her perspective, like, just because you have a personal dislike for something, it's not really up to your partner to adjust to accommodate for that.
Speaker 2: A good partner would.
Speaker 3: But I think what she might be afraid of is that if she can't deal with the smoking and he doesn't want to quit, well he's made his choice.
Speaker 2: Baby, it's not you. Oh yeah, that's sad. It's sad. Well, be happy, you're so hot. Just be happy, you'll be sad.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Rooms catch up podcast. For more, tune Indicata on DAB or check it out right here on iHeartRadio