Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today is Friday, which means it is time to get the team together and celebrate you our incredible She's on the Money community. Today we'll be sharing some of our favorite money wins with missus Jess Geruci, and we're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about buying property, which is very well timed because you guys have an episode dropping next week with our very own Cape Brands Grove from Zella Money, who is going to talk you through the ins and outs of mortgages and we're going to be unpacking something that you guys slid into our DMS about this week, which is the Bank of Mum and Dad with us. As always, we also have Miss Beck said, how has your week been?
Speaker 4: Hi, VICKI D week's been good. Good, We's been good, very uneventful. But I'm I'm so tired.
Speaker 2: I'm so tired.
Speaker 4: I think it's because I didn't do anything. You know, you know when you feel a little bit like a slug.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's what it is, and it's just snowballing.
Speaker 2: Now. I'm peak slug, peak slug. Jesse, you peak slug or if you had a good week. No, this week has been a good week.
Speaker 6: It was Valentine's Day, as we all know, I love us themes, so I've been a holiday girlie. Yeah, I've been wearing pink all week, really living the best life. But apart from that, nothing exciting has been happening.
Speaker 2: Have you ever thought, wow, I really should have lived in America where they really all the time. I just feel like Jess lives in America, like she's meant to live in America with the amount she loves her holidays and how much Americans celebrate holidays. Jess and I went to Orlando last year. We were there for fin Con, which is like a finance conference. It was actually really fun. It was not going to be exploring that with you right now, because you're quite judgmental and I just don't want the feedback. But Jess and I had a very good time. Okay, But while we were there, we actually had to prioritize going to all the walmarts and targets in the area because Jess wanted to bring home pumpkins, ceramic ceramic pumpkins, ceramic decoration for when she got home in time for Halloween, because.
Speaker 6: We don't do that yet. It's not fair.
Speaker 5: No, It's very hard to find a pumpkin around.
Speaker 6: I'm on the side of TikTok that is a American TikTok because its people going to like American Target all places like that way. They do all the decorature TikTok And all I want now, even though I think it's vile, is those really big jugs of doctor pepper and then I want to put They like put things in their doctor pepper obviously, look at beckspace them TikTok, you like soda milkshake without them, Like they'll put things like cosfee creamer.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it's a lot.
Speaker 6: It's crazy in a doctor pepper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because in Utah, a lot of the people that live there are Mormons, any Mormon culture. They don't drink drinks. They don't drink tea or coffee or alcohol. So the one thing that they can have is usually like soda, and they just have soda bars all around Utah and that's what they do. Yeah, they do beignets and soda like that's a thing. And I learn all of this from TikTok because I am col Cha or a spider. They basically make spiders. Yeah, but they like they got me on too. And we've talked about this on the podcast before, and Jesse, you reached the benefits of this.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 2: I ordered it's called true lime. It's like crystallized lime juice, so you can put it in your wallet and then put it in your diet coke. Anywhere you go.
Speaker 5: You put it in your wallet.
Speaker 6: So I like have this like a little salt packet that you have this little it's glad bagged.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So I had this little baggy in my wallet and I pull it.
Speaker 7: Out my.
Speaker 5: Bag of crystals.
Speaker 2: Crystallized lime, and I put it in my McDonald's diet coke. Ask yes, is it good?
Speaker 5: It is okay, so good.
Speaker 2: And utah mom TikTok got me onto it. And I have no shape.
Speaker 4: My eyes are watering at the thought of how sour that would be.
Speaker 2: But it's it's it's proper lime. I also learned one thing that I'm going to be asking for for Christmas is a bench top ice maker, the.
Speaker 6: Nugget ice machine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and nugget ice machine.
Speaker 6: I tried to buy you one for Christmas?
Speaker 7: Did you know?
Speaker 6: I tried to buy you one for your wedding present? And did you know nowhere in Australia makes them. And I thought about importing one. I was worried the conversion wouldn't work and it would like leak and stuff because like the faultye, that kind of stuff. So I benched it for now.
Speaker 2: If anyone knows where to get a nugget ice snaker in Australia, you have one customer standing right here.
Speaker 6: I have made Let's move on.
Speaker 2: People aren't here to learn about dit cloth or lime juice or beignetes or Utah mums, or even that Victoria wants a nugget ice machine. Don't here to talk about money, uh, specifically community money wins, Miss Jess Gorici, what have you round up this week for us?
Speaker 6: We're going to start off with a festive one, Teagan said. My husband and I did an early Valentine's dinner to avoid having to pay for inflated dinner packages. Smart so smart because so many places you only do set menu, which sucks if you're like me and you're fussy, because nine times out of ten, at least one of the courses I'm like, I don't want that.
Speaker 2: I also find when it's set menu, like you don't need that much food. Like I don't know about you guys, but my partner and I often like do an entree each and they're more like share and like a side and a salad and then be like, oh, we've got enough room for dessert, and like that is not what happens when you go and do the set menu. Because Valentine's Day, that's what we did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sucked in take him was smart.
Speaker 2: I did get sucked in tig and as much Styleway next, I'm feeling great about myself. These money ins just keep on giving.
Speaker 6: My next money in comes from La Bagna, who said my husband wanted to buy a smart watch for a while last year. Both of us upgraded our phones outright, so I didn't buy him the watch. It was originally eight hundred dollars, then it went on sale for six hundred. Then I did sending you online and found one on being Lea for four ninety. So then I went to Office Works to get the price match plus the additional five percent off that they do. So all up, I paid four hundred and seventy two dollars for a seven hundred ninety nine Samsung Watch five Pro. Hubby, you were super surprised.
Speaker 2: What a genius I run away, Yes, but I didn't even know that there was an additional five percent in Office Works. And I feel like Office Works has all of these random things that I didn't even know they sold. Yeah, watches. Did you know Office Works did watches? I thought they just dedprinted.
Speaker 4: I thought that they only sold humongous bags of mentos.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, hit the giant tins of my low y.
Speaker 6: Why this is so deep.
Speaker 2: I don't know it. It's commercial. It's meant to be feelings. Yeah, okay, it's just for the office of the office.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just clocked right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're on all right, Jess.
Speaker 5: I've got one serving size.
Speaker 2: Like this is my type of Miloja.
Speaker 5: Finally someone sees, someone gets me.
Speaker 6: My next money in comes from Debbie, who said, after having me reconstructive surgery, my income protection insurance claim was just approved. The recovery time for this surgery is twelve months, so the money is very much welcome.
Speaker 5: What twelve months?
Speaker 6: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, how awful.
Speaker 6: Super awful and a really good example of why income protection all of those insurances that I had never heard of until I listened to this podcast are really important.
Speaker 2: Now you have them because your boss is a bully pretty much pretty much and sent me all up quick note on that actually, because I feel like I've gotten a lot of dms recently, because everyone seems to be getting their finances in order and people are asking me a lot, oh what do I do about my insurances? Like you mentioned someone on a podcast at some point. That person would have been Phil Thompson from Sky Wealth, And you can either go directly to him and be like, okay the girls that she's on the money say that you have to look after me. Or you can actually head to our website She's on the Money dot com dot au and we can match you with somebody who can help you out with your situation. So you can go to that website and say I just want my insurances sorted and will send you to the right person. Or you might even want some financial advice and you'll be like, okay, cool, Well I don't just want insurances, I want financial advice, and I really want to look at everything holistically. And we have a whole panel of people that we recommend, because, as you guys know, I'm no longer a financial advisor, so I've had to bring in all of my big dog friends to look after you guys.
Speaker 6: Really really good. We'll pop a link in the show notes where you can fill that out this week as well. My next money win comes from Danny, who said she got fifteen free credit points from class Pass by threatening to cancel her membership. That is Lovable Boy free Whole Polarates classes for free. These classes are Speno two, very very expensive.
Speaker 4: You can get a lot just by blackmailing on it and yeah, class past I try.
Speaker 2: Your bringing to the podcast in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: It's not our that's not our angle, is it? No blackmailing?
Speaker 4: Sorry, just I've noticed that with like I've tried to join like Fitness First and stuff like this, and I kind of if I'm sitting on the fence about it.
Speaker 5: They'll send me firstly like thirty dollars a week, and then it goes down to twenty dollars a week, and then I'm just gonna.
Speaker 4: Wait and wait and wait until it's really cheap and then jump on it because I'm going to join either way, but I'm waiting until.
Speaker 5: It's real, real cheap.
Speaker 4: She's a smart girl, so that's a money win class pass gym, same same.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of that movie that came out last year called Queen Pins. Do you remember that, Jess. I feel like you'd be all over it. And if you haven't seen it yet, I think it's on Prime and given you the Queen of Amazon, I know that you have Prime, sure, But it was all about these people who were like super Coop Honors over in the US, and then they learned that you could complain and a company would then send you a free product, so they get the coop of the free product, and then they started like reproducing them and printing them holes to them, and then they were selling the coupons anyway. It was yeah, I know that's extreme coupon and gone scammers. I just like Jess would love that.
Speaker 6: I have to check it out. That's brilliant. Speaking of Dotty, actually, Andrew said she used her Flybys dollars this week to pay for fuel, so she only had to pay eight bucks.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, and fuels so expensive at the moment.
Speaker 5: Cross geez.
Speaker 6: And my very last one that I have this week is from Abby, she said, money win. I recycled my laptop through Apple's trading process and received a voucher to spend with them, so pretty much got free AirPods that are going to arrive tomorrow. Money win.
Speaker 2: Speaking of recycling, just was it you on TikTok the other day that said that you can take your furniture back to I?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, yes, how good is that? Yeah? You can jump online and just they have like an estimator, so you put in what furniture you have and it's.
Speaker 2: My calic shelves they are going home.
Speaker 6: Laid to rest from whence they came?
Speaker 2: All right, so what there's an estimator online.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you pick the condition it's like kind of excellent, average, poor, and I'll give you an estimation. I mean you've had it for ever, so that seems pretty fair.
Speaker 2: That's thrifty.
Speaker 6: We love that. And they'll give you an estimation what they think you're gonna get back, and then you just take it straight in. They'll have someone check it over and they're actually really good because one of my things I had marked it as I think average, and they're like, no, it's in like great condition. We'll give you the higher price point. So they actually check it properly and are like quite generous with it, and then you just get about it. I got tw hundred bucks back and that paid, Yeah, paid for my new TV unit, and it meant that I didn't have to get rid of the stuff and it was a little bit easier than selling a marketplace, which you know, I love, But coordinating with people, yeah, huge pain in the ass. So just taking it straight back to Ikea could be good.
Speaker 2: I have a business idea. You might like it, Beck, So what you're going to do. Is you going to go on Facebook marketplace?
Speaker 6: I had this thought. I was like, it might be a little bit unethic.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll blame Jess know where we're going. I feel like Jess and I live in the same blinked.
Speaker 4: A certain way and just like, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was my body twitch and she was like yeah, okay, And though I know exactly.
Speaker 6: Whereas three words, and I was like, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: I feel like this happens every day back But what you do is you go on Facebook marketplace and find all of the free pieces of furniture that ikea forniture that people are trying to get rid of. You take them to Ike Bank.
Speaker 5: That is so clever.
Speaker 6: It's probably as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably not a good business idea since you only get store credits. Yeah you could go along the Queen Pins route and sell your store credits.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I just feel like this buy for economy in here, build it, sell it like oh I already you know I already yeah, and then sell those brand new, great condition and then you get money eventually.
Speaker 2: I feel like that is very backwards. I'm not going to go buy something brand new from my key to make it to sell it back to them at a loss. You are not in charge of the financial playing in this situation. Let's go to a really quick break and on the other side, we're gonna talk about a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about buying property, and we're gonna unpack something that a couple of you guys have slid into our dms about recently, and that's the bank of Mum and Dad. So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 6: Welcome back, everybody. You know, I'm so about the property journey right now. I'm so in the thick of our answer. I'm pumped to hear this week's money dilemma, Becau. Apparently it's all about property.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 2: Let's have a listen. Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: My partner I got married last year, so we are starting to build our savings again as well as payoff one of our credit cards. It's got about seven thousand dollars on it. We are looking to buy a house next year or the year after. We're just trying to get a deposit together. And I was wondering how much should we be looking at saving for this deposit and when it is a good time to reach out in regards to broker information or lending information. Thank you look forward to hearing from you.
Speaker 2: She sounds lovely. Love This is a very good question and actually perfectly timed because we have Kate, our resident mortgage broker from Zella Money, coming on the show next week to talk about buying property and what's going on in the property market in twenty twenty three. But you know what, I feel like the best person to directly talk about this because you're on that journey right now, is you, Jess, what are your recommendations?
Speaker 6: I feel like there is no such thing as reaching out to a broker to because I reached out when I thought I was maybe kind of a year and a halfish out from my journey, and turns out the journey has been on longer than I'd hoped for, but it was really helpful because it allowed me to firstly find a broker that I liked, which wasn't something that I anticipated having to do. And as you know we've spoken about it before, I found how to jump through a couple before I obviously ended up with Kate, who is the best.
Speaker 2: So you get that's what you get for trying to keep it out of the business and out of work. Yeah, not mix work and pleasure. Turned out you should just be It turns out you should just mix work and pleasure always you would have thought.
Speaker 6: So that was a whole time thing that I didn't anticipate, and then obviously just being able to prepare. So in this situation, you can talk to a broker. They might say, hey, well, you've got this credit card debt. It might be more valuable for you to pay off that before you apply for the loan, because maybe it's more detrimental than the amount of money that you could get. Or maybe they might say, oh, well, you think you need a ten percent deposit, but actually there's this scheme that's just come in and you only need five that you wouldn't have known about. So I feel like it's better to talk to you broker sooner than later because they just know so much more than anybody else does, and they'll be able to tell you what things you need to do to get ready. They might be able to give you a rough timeline and help you out, and then you can kind of just touch base with them as you're going, as Kate will attest to you, because at least once a fortnight she gets to text from me being like, Hey, what's up. Crazy question? But and Urine, it's just helpful to be able to go, oh, if I have a question, They're there to answer it for you one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And I feel like a lot of people think that they're a burden when they reach out and they're like, but I'm not ready to buy. Like they're going to think I'm wasting their time. It's like, no, I promise a mortgage broker can actually sort out the people who are legitimately on that property buying journey, even if they're like two or three years out. And those people that are time wasters, promise you that they it's not their first rodeo. But also, a mortgage broker is actually going to love the fact that you're there early. There's no time pressure, there's no you turning up and being like, oh my gosh, Kate, I found this house this weekend and I want to settle on it. I want to put an offering that can be that's worse. Yeah, that's worse. Like that's scrambling to make things happen. And you know a good broker will do that and bend over backwards for you. But you know, Jess, we got you in early so we could set up your cash flow and set things up and make sure that you've dotted all your eyes and crossed all your tea's because sometimes you just don't realize. Sometimes you'd go, oh, I didn't even know that was a thing, And just like you said, sometimes a broker's going to go, oh, Jess, did you actually know you could buy now instead of later? Like you don't need that twenty percent deposit that you're working towards. So the question here was like how much should I be saving? Well, I can't tell you that because I don't know the semantics of your situation. I don't know how much you're buying for, how much your combined income is, what your expenses are, or what your life looks like, or even where you're going to be purchasing, because it will really depend on location too, because sometimes you need a high deposit for different locations around Australia, which is wild to think about, but I do think you should get in touch with a mortgage broker. And one thing that we find really helpful, and Jess you've been through this is the hour of power with our Zella Money team, where they'll actually sit you down and instead of just having a normal broken conversation, they'll sit down and go all right, Beck, where are we at? What are your goals? And actually instead of sitting down and just doing your borrowing capacity, they'll actually help you set up a budget and a cash flow that gets you to the goal that you're working towards and give you a lot more accountability and a cash flow system that works and something that's actually going to help you on that journey. It's a lot more hands on. But if you're in that position where you're like I'm not really sure what I'm doing or where I'm going, and I want to talk to a broker, but I don't even know what I want to buy, maybe an hour of power. Session is going to you know, turbo charge that journey and actually give you the clarity you're looking for. Yeah, all right, let's move on from that. As much as I love talking about property, there's going to be a lot of it next week. Let's move on to our community concern because this week we're unpacking something that you guys slid into our DMS about, which is the bank of Mum and Dad. So I want to talk about it. The message that we got was hello, ladies, hoping for a little bit of here. I'm struggling to come to terms with a friend of mine who just gets handouts from her parents left, right and center. I have to work really hard to be able to afford a new dress or even a bottomless brunch, and she can just message her dad and say I'm out of money, can you pay for my brunch? And he'll just transfer her money. I know that's not her fault. I'm battling with my own feelings of jealousy as I wish it came that easy for me too sometimes. But I was just wondering if you guys had any pointers for navigating the feelings I'm having around money. Beck. You see infuriated.
Speaker 4: No, I just I relate to this so much. It's such a hard thing to balance because I, on the one hand, want to be so happy for my friends who either like you know, get inheritance. It doesn't have to be from their mum and dad, just anyone in their family who has the ability to one day give the money to one day by house. I know that I'll never no matter what why you look at my life, I'm never ever going to have that, And so I'm constantly weighing up like feeling so were not good about it, feeling like oh my god, I wish I had that, but then genuinely being happy. And then also, if you look past my friend who just receivalless money, you're looking at an adult who purposely wanted this for their future children or grandchildren. So good on them for being able to make that happen. It's just a very I totally know that feeling of being so.
Speaker 2: Juxtaposition right, but you want to feel good for them, but then you're also low key envious, But then you're also like, why shouldn't you work as hard as I do for this? But then you can also see that if their parents have set them up in that way, like they're getting a lot of gratification out of it. It must be really hard, Jess. Is this something that you see in you know, friendship groups around you.
Speaker 6: It's not super common. I think the friends that I have, none of them are ones that sound like this person where they're I guess, taking advantage of it. But I do have friends who have found themselves in situations where they've you know, things have been really tight, and they have asked their parents for help and their parents have been able to and I agree, like, I've never received money for my parents. I never will receive money from my parents. And it's one of those things where you kind of go, it's like an equity thing.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 6: You go, oh, like, I love my family, and you know, it's really hard to think about some families generationally have created that wealth and have you know, potentially really thought about setting their kids up and doing those things. And if you're from a family where maybe that was in a position they were able to be and it's not because they didn't love you, but it is also hard because you go, oh, well, this person gets opportunities that I don't know if I had that money, I could do this, and you know, it is really tough to I guess, balance the emotional side of it and feeling like you're lesser than or that your family is lesser than, when really it's just the card of hands that a lot of people would dealt and there's nothing that you can do about that. But I feel like she's being very self aware, like she's saying, oh my gosh, how to deal with this exactly, which I think is a really great thing, because if you let those feelings sit, it just makes you feel icky and gross.
Speaker 2: And it seems really common because we took it to you guys and asked you and did a few polls online. We said, do you have a friend that benefits from the bank of mum and dad? And sixty seven percent of you said yes, which it's not a bad thing. And I think that what we need to really outline here is this is not a conversation of judgment, because, as you said before, Beck, like you know, parents have planned for that, or there might be intergenerational wealth at play, someone at some point has worked really hard, so that situation can occur. But I think it can be really hard when you're comparing yourself in This plays into the conversation of comparison culture, right, and like me seeing Jess's situation being like, oh, I'm so envious of everything she does. But then Jess, you know, maybe looking back at me and going, well, I'm envious of stuff you're doing, when in reality we should be sticking to our own lanes and seeing our own finances and seeing our own situations for what they are instead of what could have been or what might have been if our situations were different, because that doesn't change anything. Like you and I could sit here all day and talk about like, oh, well, what if we got massive inheritances and no one at this table is going to be in that position, Like it's just not who we are, it's not the families that we come from, and that's totally okay, But we could talk about it all day.
Speaker 5: Like what would you do with a million dollars?
Speaker 2: Or what would you do or what would you do back if your parents helped you buy a hat? Like it's nice to sometimes have conversations that are aspirational, but I don't believe that's aspirational because it can't happen. So why are we hindering ourselves with these ideas and thoughts. Instead, why don't we go, oh, they've bought a house and like they got a leg up. But you know what, I live in Australia, I have a good job. How can I do that for myself?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Is that not something that we should be rewarding more or celebrating more? Like, yeah, I know that every single house purchase or every single financial goal in our community that's achieved is for the greater good. And it's kind of like that quote that we talk about all the time, a rising tide lift soul ships. But I think we really need to go back to where we come from and go is that constructive for us to talk about this? Is that actually, you know, going to put me in a better place having had this conversation? Or should I be channeling my efforts into something that I can actually change or that I have power over? And the easiest way to be disheartened about a circumstance or any type of situation is to put yourself in a situation where you know that that's not achievable. It feels like trash. Yeah, like it feels awful. The second I start being like, oh, beck, so you won't get an inheritance. What are you going to do about that? That's a trash conversation to have. Let's not have it, Beck, what are you going to do? Oh my gosh, you've talked about on the podcast being bankrupt before, and now you know before this episode, Beck and I were having a good conversation about credit scores and how to build yours up, and I think you didn't realize how good of a position you were in. And I think it's how do we build you up to put you in the best possible position because we don't all have the same start point.
Speaker 4: That's so true and it is something that I'm learning. It is possible no matter where you start, no matter how far back you've gone, it's possible to better your money situation.
Speaker 5: And that is huge.
Speaker 6: I write abundance mindset.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what do you reckon?
Speaker 2: I actually wrote something down this morning as I was drying my and I was thinking about this idea because someone on TikTok responded to one of my videos and we're like, oh, what's the point. It's fifty bucks a month. It's not actually going to put you in a position where you have millions to retire, Like what's the point? I was just like, what isn't the point? Like every step in the right direction is a step that is going to put you ahead. And by not taking any action at all and being like, what's the point, you're actually securing your worst possible fate, Like instead of saying, oh, yeah, well, actually I do do ten dollars a month and it's working towards my financial future at the end of that, is that not better than having nothing at all because you didn't take action? And I feel like it's such a gen z and millennial tone of voice. I suppose to go, well, what's the point we'll never buy a house, or what's the point you know everybody else has it given to them, or what's the point my friend's mum gives her everything? Like that's not the point. Isn't every step in the right direction a step in the right direction? And shouldn't we be seeing it for what it is? Like even if you invest over your entire lifetime and you're like, okay, cool, V I only have twenty bucks a month, but I've been doing that since I was eighteen, it's going to put me in a position where I have, you know, three hundred thousand dollars more than I was going to have had I not. Some people might see it and be like, but you need millions to retire. Isn't three hundred thousand dollars a lot more than what you didn't have already?
Speaker 5: But do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It blows my mind that there's this idea of well why bother? And I feel like the bank of Mum and Dad complained to that because you see your friends and you see this comparison culture, and you immediately go, well, what's the point. They've got everything given to them, Why should I even bother? I don't have that, like, I'm never going to be successful, And it blows my mind.
Speaker 6: What did the people say? What did everyone else kind of think? Were they on the same wavelengths?
Speaker 2: They absolutely were. It's actually a little bit colorful, and this week we got a few more emotional responses than we usually get. So someone said, this was something I realized when I started work, and it made me feel better about not comparing myself to others when I learned how much into generational wealth has helped some people. And that's from somebody who is in a state planning lawyer. Someone said, my parents helped me with money to get a property at twenty four that I live in Now. I actually feel really guilty as I've avoided the rental crisis and that's not something I can say is true for my friends.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess as the flip side of that, hey, Like, I mean, some people probably aren't selfware enough to realize the impact that they're having on their friends by being privileged. But for some people, maybe they feel awkward about it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I live in this world where I just don't think privilege shouldn't exist. I think that if we are going to have privilege existing, we actually just need to be acknowledging it. Like I am privileged because I am a white woman who grew up in Australia and had every opportunity thrown at her. Yes, I didn't come from intergenerational wealth, but like I had super supportive parents and I went to a good school, and those things at a base level are I guess, gratuities or things that weren't extended to other people in our community. And I think that we need to regardless of what our level of privilege, we need to acknowledge that and if it happens to be you've got into generational wealth. Great, like be self aware of it. I think if we like shifted this conversation a bit and your friend in this circumstance was a bit more self aware, maybe that wouldn't make you feel as bad if your friend was like, oh my gosh, yes, or maybe was a little bit more sneaky about it, unless like, oh, I just get mum and dad to pay for it, do you know what I mean? Like, I feel like it's the conversation around it because having grown up in an area where we weren't wealthy, but there were a lot of wealthy people, Like I remember talking to my parents and then being like, yep, we're not going to be able to afford to purchase you your first card, and I was like, yep, of course, I'll work for that. And then you know, going to school and one of the girls I went to school with having been given a brand new BMW for her sixteen mile said, but I remember that juxtaposition of being like, wow, like she has this, and you know, my parents have said that I need to save and Mum and dad were like, can you know we can match you to this and help you, and like my parents were so good. But you know, even then, you just feel a bit like, oh, like, how does this happen? Yeah, but that person never acknowledged their privilege, and I think that makes it worse, Like that makes it feel weird, as though they deserve it. Yeah, like that's not the case at all. Someone else said good communication always goes a long way, which I think was really good. Someone said, this happened with my partner. She doesn't understand my upbringing with money, and it can cause drama because I feel especially guilty because she got her unifees paid for and has family savings and doesn't have to worry at all. Yeah, like that's so true, right, Like I don't know about you, guys. Beck, you would be exactly the same as me. You just had to go to work the second you got to an age where you could earn go to work exactly, Like that's how it's gonna work for you. Another person said, when my friend's parents are guarantees on their property loans and my parents won't offer to it makes me feel like trash, Like that's really hard. Someone else said, well, it's not really teaching her the reality of the world. Yeah, but I argue that's the reality of her world exactly, like, and that's not the reality. Like just because another reality exists doesn't mean you have to experience it for it to be true exactly. Someone said, I'm very transparent with my close friends about how my parents really support me and lend me, slash give me money, which I think is really good. And I think if you're in that circumstance, can we just be transparent about it? Yeah, Like, if your parents are being guarantores on your property, I know that sometimes people feel a little bit guilty, like a little bit like, oh, I don't want to tell anybody because like I want people to know that I worked really hard for this, because sometimes I feel like if you admit that you had a guaranteur, it's diminishing the efforts that you put towards getting that property. And I'm not saying that it does at all, but it also diminishes the feelings of your friends if you don't admit to them how you somehow came up with a two hundred and fifty thousand dollars deposit when they're scrambling to get their first one hundred grand together as a couple. Does that make I can feel like Oh wow. I didn't even know they was saving for a house, and all of a sudden, they've got a one point two million dollar property with their partner. What How did this happen?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, like we've just been saving what.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it makes it go both ways. My favorite response that I saw said transparency helps. When my friends started buying one point five million dollar properties, I was shocked, But then when I asked if they had family help, most of them did. It made me feel better knowing what had happened. And after talking to one of my friends, she was self aware of the privilege and it made us feel so much closer having that conversation. I think this person, aka the person who DMed us, needs to talk to her friend about how she feels and maybe even set some boundaries around what activities they can do together. If she's feeling like there's a bit of financial stress on her because she has less money than her friend or less room in her budget. Otherwise, just being open about it might help the friendship. It's hard to tell if the rich friend here is being ignorant or if she's just pressuring her to keep up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent, And I think the crux of this conversation is comparison is the thief of joy, and we absolutely should not be comparing ourselves to anybody else's circumstances. But then also acknowledging that maybe there is some family help there sometimes that you don't even see. And it's also that crash landing pad, right, Like you see friends who do rely on their parents, they might be more likely to take on risks because they know, like if everything fails and if I blow the budget, and like I go to Europe and I come home with absolutely nothing, Mum and dad will look after me. Whereas that's not the reality for a lot of people, Like that's not an option, Like you don't have anybody to rely on. And I think that the bank of mum and Dad is not just about home guarantores and big amounts of money being gifted. I think sometimes it can also be that financial security of knowing that somebody else has your back. It might be fifty bucks, Like you might not come from a super high income family, but you know, if everything hit the fan tomorrow, you've got parents that you can call me, like, hey, Mom, I really need help. I'm in a bit of a pickle and that is not something that is exc ended to everybody in our community either, and I feel like that for me also falls into the bank of mum and Dad, which is that feeling of financial security when you have good relationships with family members.
Speaker 6: Super interesting and if you do want to have those conversations with us, make sure you're following us on Instagram where She's on the Money AUS. We share our community concern every single week and we want you to weigh in because it's really interesting to get all of those different perspectives one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But speaking of talking to us in person, Jessica, what's happening soon?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, it's only a few short weeks until International Women's Day. We are so freaking pumped about it. Oh my gosh. Not that she's counting or anything, but if you haven't already, I believe two of our four cities are. There's like fifteen to twenty tickets left. They're slim pickings, very slim picking. So if you haven't grabbed your ticket, please head to the website. We'll link it in the show notes. It's so exciting. This week we announced the goodie bags. They very little bit city by city, but they're all worth over three hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: It's actually so exciting. I cannot believe that our team has pulled this together. It's wild.
Speaker 6: The brands that we have are unreal. And if you want to see that hedge the Instagram because we did a post summarizing it all so you can have a little squizz.
Speaker 2: But I'm going to give you a little bit of a hint, like if you're just a listener please Okay. So we have our friends on board from Go to Skincare. We've got Adoor Beauty, Cadbury Chocolates, Naked Harvest, the Quick Flick. We've got our friends from LSKD which Jess and I are obsessed with. They're a whole heap. We've also got Skinstitute and Frank Body, which I am obsessed with. Just like a little few just to do some name dropping, you.
Speaker 6: Know, oh my god. Yeah, but there's this beautiful face of mom.
Speaker 2: And dad people they name drop.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah. So definitely if you want to grab a ticket, please hea to the website. We're so excited to be putting on. We couldn't do it without our friends from Chasas who have just been absolutely incredible and so supportive of us. They really embody I think the whole idea that we really love buying International Women's Day. They've got Roberts who will actually be making an appearance at some of.
Speaker 2: The events, which I'm obsessed with her.
Speaker 6: I think she's the coolest per and she's a part of their CEO team. We love a business led by a female, We just truly do.
Speaker 2: And I feel like they have always been super supportive of the content we create, which obviously is one thing to say, but they really walk the walk, like they really embrace the content that we create so that other people can be in better financial circumstances because of them, and people can start their investing journeys. Like I'm obsessed with them, which you guys already know, but I think that's enough. If you want International Women's Day tickets, our link will be in the show notes, along with all of the links for everything else we've mentioned this episode. Guys, it's been a good week. I hope you have a good weekend and we'll see you again on Monday.
Speaker 4: See you guys, then bye bye.
Speaker 8: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 8: Read the pds and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 8: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper p T y L t D A B N three two one six, four nine two seven seven zero eight A F s L four five one two eight nine