Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch.
Speaker 2: Up podcast, Flex and Firms Podcast Edition. I wish I could give you a play by play on what it's been like living in Melbourne. A series of synchronous events. I walk into a place and somebody recognizes me and knows me, but it feels really lovely. For example, I went into a cafe called Florian. How did I get there because a friend of mine was like, let's go to Florian fantastic today. Google it. No, I don't need to google it. I'm a local pop in. I get served by this amazing woman, the vibe is up, and then maybe halfway through the meal, she's like, I just need to jump in and say Hi, I actually know Frooms. I said, this is amazing. A friend of Frooms is a friend of mine.
Speaker 1: Would you say about me?
Speaker 2: I should you amazing that you went to UNI together or something, and that the vibe is up and we should come on a Friday for wine and drinks when they're doing vinyl and stuff. And I said, I would ask you. She said this Frim's going to be here this week and I said, yeah, but I'm not sure IF's gonna be on a Friday or Saturday. I said to her that I would text you and let you know that I had met her, And while you're a spot were coming in, I was showing them to her fresh.
Speaker 1: Did you tell her that she's the most stylish person I know?
Speaker 2: She was on the phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so this wooll didn't disclose.
Speaker 1: Her name is Rose. I will dock her. Her name is Rose. She and her friend Dom started the cafe Floring in Melbourne. You would have heard about it, no doubt. It's very, very cool and stylish. So her and I went to RMAT together. We studied advertising and she I've topped the story before, but she walked in. Michayale's like, shut.
Speaker 2: It's an intro, So can we intro? I don't really really, Okay, she worked in.
Speaker 1: She walked in and I'm like, holy, chic has a Cullus clothes. Ever, we didn't talk right for the first year. Then I left, got a job at Pedestrian, come back part time to finish my degree. We sit next to each other, we become mates. Then we worked out that both of our dads know each other from the Caryard Zone, which is just the weirdest thing because you would never guess it, Like I would never have guessed that our parents were even slightly linked and they ended up like going to a wedding all together, crazy obsessed. Then Also, I don't think it's an Also listen, I'm just gonna say, Rose, you're an amazing talented woman. Their cafes like popping off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all the dms. Oh my god, you're a local. This place is amazing, like.
Speaker 1: Cool people like it, but also like genuine people that understand restaurants. Wow, let's get at that, guys, flex and frioms on kedus.
Speaker 2: Question for the audience, do real estates hate their real estate agents as well? Yes? Or no? Yeah they must. No, No, I was gonna say, no offense, no shade, but it is what it is. It is what it is. Unfortunately, I was having a reflective moment, not going to time it to any move to Melbourne I made or didn't make. But I was thinking about how generally speaking, in my personal experience, real estates have this lars a fair attitude. Real Estates real estate agents both right the conglomerate and the individuals have this las a fair to shark pipeline attitude within the duration of your leasing period in the initial stages. Oh great, you signed on. Hey there's a huge week. Oh you'll be right. You'll be right. Now you move out, They're coming for you like a hawk. Hey there's a minus scratch in a high traffic area and we need to rip up every single floorboard. It's okay with you.
Speaker 1: That's on new Kreen.
Speaker 2: We can take it from your bond if you like. It doesn't make any sense, And I was thinking it is naive to think that every real estate agent that ever existed is in a position to own property. So I would imagine a vast majority, especially those who are just starting out climbing up the corporate ladder, are in a position where they're also renting. What is going on? I need the whole community to rally and let me know. Is it like a self hate thing?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, real estate masochism, internalized real estate ology. Yeah, internalized homo ology. Okay, I've said what I said and I will stand by it. I'm gonna say they do. It's like car dealers, right, they cut from the same cloth. Yeah, O, the car dealers think car dealers are dodgy. Oh yeah, same law.
Speaker 2: This might feel like one of those if you can't beat them, joining them thing like, yes, you can go and be the most altruistic real estate agent ever. But then you've got the owner on your back who's saying, Mmm, I'm gonna need you to be a shark, because I don't want this to be my remit. It needs to be your remit. And maybe you start to recognize all the best in the business have a certain approach. If I want to be the best and get that commission, I must act as if. If you are a real estate agent who rents, please reach out. Please not to commiserate, because you are the enemy, but I would like to mind you for some data.
Speaker 1: The only real estate agents I approve of what are their names? Dickie Cox him, but two others Gas, Gavin Rubinstein.
Speaker 2: What's my boyfriend's name? Gavin Rubin, Qeen Simon Simon, Simon, Colin gab Our Kinks potential partners. I like DeLine as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dline's one of us.
Speaker 2: Okay, you said it really like women supporting women have had enough.
Speaker 1: We get people messaging in their dilemmas. They're often very scary and they make me very very happy that I have minimal conflict in my life. One housemate who isn't around a lot. It's all I'll say. We have an emy of the asshole was sent in by a woman called Brook from the Flex and Frooms DMS. If you ever have anything that you want us to discuss, go to Flex and Frooms on Instagram and we will read it there by way, I mean, I'll produce. Mikayla, thank you, Mikayla, thank you. All right, let's be in Hey, I've got a cooked roommate story for the potty for Frooms. Okay o. My friend twenty one currently rents and then shares a house with an older roommate fifty. All right, we're doing that. My friend is quite busy with UNI and so she can have quite an unpredictable schedule. Because of this, she will cook all of her meals for the week, freeze and refrigerate them, and heat them up when needed. This is where her roommate has taken severe issue. A few weeks ago, my friend cooked a curry. She emits. The smell was quite strong, and the roommate complained and said that she found it highly offensive. Wow. My friend obviously apologized and tried to air out the house. Some people don't know how to use those induction fans, but they.
Speaker 2: Don't work as well as they could, and plus cents get trapped into fabrics and you know oil splatters that you don't see that are on the wall. Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: A week later, the roommate complains that she can still smell curry and that it is disturbing her.
Speaker 2: Sleep, disturbing the peace, babe.
Speaker 1: She tells my friend that she can no longer cook curries during the week or pass midday due to the issue with the smell. This is fine until last week. My friend cooked garlic pasta while the roommate was out. The roommate returned at nine pm and went straight to her room. The following day, my friend received an email while at union from this roommate essentially asking for a check in and implying that they need to talk about things that aren't working for either of us. Roommate proceeded to lecture my friend on how the garlic smell was disturbing, disrupted her sleep, and permeated the soft furnishings. As I said, yes, she said, my friend needs to find more recipes at work. Then she accused my friend of being lazy not meal prepping this week, and she said she should strive to be more like the roommate. What my friend has three weeks left on her lease.
Speaker 2: She wants to leave.
Speaker 1: She wants to leave, and at this point is willing to lose her security deposit. That's when he know it's bad. My friend's mum said, to are tough at out. What do you guys think she should do to me? She strikes me as someone who reads a recipe. It says two bits of garlic. She's put six in.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 1: One of my girls. Do we think that this woman is asshole for cooking smelling food? I'll begin with my opinion. Okay, I know it's unusual for this shop. Yeah, I'm turning a leaf. I believe that you do need to be wary of what you're cooking in a house baiting biom and a quay. The one that I hate the most is cooking salmon on a pan, strong smell, taking the oven. It's like connected to one place, but on the stove it stinks and there's something about the fishy oiliness of it that does permeate the house and I will say I think most people don't know how to use the induction fan. They often forget they're not opening windows. I also think that you don't know how bad you smell.
Speaker 2: Pointed.
Speaker 1: Sorry, guys, I said, And so I would say, keep on the lease, Okay, it's not worth losing, stay the course, stay with the parents if that's an option, yeah, or perhaps just start ordering uberates.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be ageists, but I will I do think there's something very self interested about coexisting with other people at any given point, but generally when you're younger, the small windo of time I spent living with somebody else, I was made aware of habits that I didn't know were disruptive, in the same way I made them aware of habits that they didn't know that were disrupt Do the smells anything that has to do with the five senses? Really, you should be acutely attuned to my thing with cooking, And like you said, you don't know what you smell like, or what your house smells like, all your things smell like, what your hair smells like. And what we do know for a fact is that since stay in places, one of my pet peeves is the lingering smell of food once it's already been consumed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got a headen upatha here and there.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you do terrorize me. I don't say anything because I've also turned a new leaf. You see, we're all growing on this show. So what I find is like, it's gross to smell food that you did not cook, you did not eat. It's on the walls, it's on the couch, it's on the floor, it's kind of like in the topp ofwere it's in the cutlery. It's yucky. And as you said, if people aren't doing their due diligence and making sure windows are open and bedroom doors are shut, and you know we're getting airflow, it's frustrating and it's gross that being said, did it we're in an email? I'm not sure, but I don't really know if there's a nice way to tell someone your food smells and therefore you should not eat.
Speaker 1: So who were siding with?
Speaker 2: I'm siding with the fifty year old. I don't think the approach was really good, but I think with three weeks to go, everyone needs to let it go. Are we sending emails berating people with three weeks to go on a lease, let it go.
Speaker 1: We're bygones, be bygones.
Speaker 2: Period flex and rooms on, Kater, I.
Speaker 1: Have a bit of a bone to pick, a bit of a gripe to wipe out of my god rain, is that off the dome? Yeah, it just came out. I feel like I'm in a good role today, definitely. I just had a whole bunch of pasta Alanorma pasta that I made off recipe two needs. The real ones will know what I'm talking. Thank you. Nagi and her dog goes up. So the other day I was watching Fleabag, which is a British show by a woman called Phoebe all a Bridge. It was released in twenty sixteen. To Rave reviews, this is like a cultural reset when it I haven't watched it, and I feel like I really like it. You would love it, just you have to watch it well. And in it, she runs this cafe. It's like a ferret cafe, and no one really comes in, but this one guy does come in. He sits down. He's sort of lap an iPad, kindle and a.
Speaker 2: Phone one of mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he sits down and she watches him plug in the laptop, plug in the phone, plug in the thing. Go oh wait, there's not enough plugs. Bring out an adapter. And it got me thinking, I've seen this in real life. We see people go to cafes and use it as a workspace, and I'm off it.
Speaker 2: The value add isn't equal. You've come here, maybe you've got a single coffee. Now you're using up sixty bucks worth electricity and you're taking up real estate. And you're setting a precedent that this is a place where you can do that because nobody will come to you and say you have to leave. Yeah, and because of that reason, you think it's fine to stay. And you're so right if you need to plug in, it's not go all. Do we not have libraries?
Speaker 1: Libraries are underutilized. Stray Sydney libraries. The best one, I say is Soorry Hills. It's also the only one I've been to that's okay, but fantastic. They've got bamboo out the front, they would and pull space. They've got PC computers for a bit of a throwback fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is everybody's issue with the library? Go there? I understand people think they're doing this community initiative thing by going in supporting a small business. You're doing the opposite, babe. Unlet's getting some piggies when you're in there. Okay, repost tag location tag, little hashtag. Here's what I say. If at any point you feel as though you've spent so much time there that this feels like you're home, you've done too Muchoo. If you feel like you've got you've gone to your local one too many times and you would take off your shoes with ease because they know you there. You've done too much. It's time to go.
Speaker 1: The crocs are halfway off and they stink.
Speaker 2: You're jumping in when people are ordering. Oh yeah, I wouldn't get that.
Speaker 1: You can do better.
Speaker 2: They know me. Here, Gwyneth Paltrow has a message for you via us flex and rooms on cater I know what you're thinking. I don't want to hear anything about Gwyneth. I don't believe in what she pedals, and that's neither here nor there. But she is a marketing genius to make Evolver can and you do it too. It for check, you do it too. She made a bag how much a lot of money? And if not from the actual sales, the marketing was it.
Speaker 1: This candle smells like my vagina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, do you remember it? Yeah, it's in there. She was on the Call Her Daddy podcast. If you know, you know, If you don't, you don't. But she was asked about her relationship with Brad hit. I didn't know that we together. Should i've known that?
Speaker 1: I didn't know?
Speaker 2: Other interesting, Not that I care about her feelings towards Brad Pitt, but she made this really great temperature analogy. And I love an analogy because sometimes I feel like explaining something in an abstract way gives you an opportunity to think creatively about how you feel about the situation.
Speaker 3: Right, I didn't even really understand how to listen to my instincts and act from that place, like for what was right for me, I was always trying to adjudicate like what's right for everybody else. Being the sort of thermostat and the room like, oh, you know, it's getting a little uncomfortable, like let me cool it down, like it's getting cold, let me warm things up.
Speaker 2: And what I really liked about that analogy is because, in a lot of ways, I think it's a really beautiful skill to be able to sus survive in a room and adjust yourself accordingly for the benefit of you, but also the people in the room, and assuming the role because somebody has to maybe nobody has to. Maybe that's the flaw of being the temperature adjuster. Maybe nobody has to adjust the vibe. You just do what you want, but for her to be able to clock that and then say to herself, well, if I maintain almost like the adjudicator for everybody in the room, who is making sure that when my temperature is off that I'm being adjusted, that I'm like the beneficiary of somebody else stepping outside of their comfort zone to make sure I'm okay. And so I was thinking about environmental scenarios where we could do less temperature adjusting, but I don't know how I would do it without taking it to a selfish point and over correcting me like, well, I'm not gonna step in at all, Like when do you pick and choose when it's time to be the person who manipulates a situation for the better.
Speaker 1: I think that the temperature adjuster, if you really feel like you're the one always does it, I think you should voice it. And then it gives people the opportunity. People might say, yeah, you are and then when you stop doing it, people can say, oh, you're not doing that thing, and then you can say, yeah, I'm not doing it because xyz to me. I really don't like the idea that people put themselves out and don't tell me and then resent me. It's not fair, Like leave your martyrdom to your dan self. Okay. It's like if someone does something for you, you're not going to bother trying to get the temperature stat up to where it should be.
Speaker 2: That's so true. Give people a chance to mess up and course correct on their own. I like that anyway. Shout out to Gwyneth. You did that. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.