Speaker 1: Hello there, Peter, Hell are you? He host of You Ain't seen nothing yet? Today's episode is a replay and I really love this guest, the hilarious Kitty Flannigan. Was it over winner Tryman's Bond Pearl Harner.
Speaker 2: Hello, sixty percent of the time. It works every time.
Speaker 1: That doesn't make sense? Alright, it's green, Gray's for breakfast and right now very hungry. Haven't a right?
Speaker 3: So you ain't seen nothing here?
Speaker 1: Simply put, Kitty Flannigan is one of the funniest people around, known around the world for her appearances on Just for Laughs in Montreal, the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, but also in The Sketch Show. English listeners would know her from that. Austraying viewers would also know her for her countless and regular appearances on such shows as The Project, Have You Been Paying Attention? The Weekly with Charlie Kickering, and of course she plays Ronda in That Utopia. She's also an award winning author Bridge Burning four hundred and eighty eight Rules for Life, which has won a swag of awards. I'm not sure how many awards fitting with a swag. I'm going to say it's a swag because even if it's one you can still put one award in a swag surely so. She was also done countless stand up specials. Her recent one, seriously was just absolutely brilliant. I love hanging out with Kitty whenever I get a chance, and we've done a few have you been Paying Attentions together? And it's just a joy. She really really makes me laugh. So I enjoyed this episode. It was a fantastic one to record movie that I knew was coming, and I wasn't sure if I was excited or nervous about it. But enjoy this episode of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet with the hilarious Kitty.
Speaker 3: Flanking Hello, I'm Kitty Flanagan. And my three favorite films would be Little Miss Sunshine.
Speaker 1: I've still got Natty Bullets in my heart and Natty Bolts.
Speaker 4: The Guard if I don't kive me head?
Speaker 3: And Juno, did you put like one hundred things of tic tacks in my malebox? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah that was me?
Speaker 3: Oh God, I didn't mean Juno. I met June Bug? Sorry?
Speaker 1: What makes you tick?
Speaker 3: Also anything with Jason Bateman in it. But I have never seen the Matrix, which is what I'm here to discuss.
Speaker 4: I like watching him.
Speaker 2: Don't be ridiculous, we're going to kill.
Speaker 4: Understand that MOUs believes he is the one to you. It doesn't matter what I believe.
Speaker 1: Did you hear that here?
Speaker 3: What are you sure this line is clee?
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course I'm sure.
Speaker 1: There. It's red pillar or blue pill. The choice is yours. In the Wakowski's nineteen ninety nine game Changer, combining influences from the neo punk movement, Eastern philosophy in combat and video game culture, and a healthy dose of religion, The Matrix one four oscars despite not being nominated for Best Picture. It's a return to form for Keanu Reeves in his role as Neo. It was shot in Sydney, despite everyone dressing like they were in Melbourne. It's time to follow the White Rabbit with Kitty Flanagan. Kitty Flanagan, how are you wow?
Speaker 3: I can't believe after that description that I've never seen, I'd never seen, tells me volume.
Speaker 1: So we'll come back a Matrix. But I want to talk about your three favorite films, which are great films. Let's start with a Little Miss Sunshine. What a beautiful little film it is.
Speaker 3: I that is just the film that it's the gift that keeps on giving. Every scene there's something in it. It's got a Comby Van in it, which of course I love, and the whole I think my favorite thing that I will always remember is seeing that film in the cinema and not being able to stop laughing at the horn, Yes, when the horn is just going in the back, just to see the Comby Van driving along, and that just I would laugh about that for hours. And every time I see if it's ever on something and I just you know, flip past and go, okay, I got to watch it, and I'll end up sitting there till the end. And then Olive doing her dance and the way they kept that because I kept wondering, what is she going to do? What is she going to do? And then when she she basically does a terrible stream?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: What's the song? Is that Black Eyed Peas? Is it my humps?
Speaker 3: What is the song?
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 3: I'd love to I can't believe I only.
Speaker 1: Watched it right, I got to flee.
Speaker 3: But it's something so inappropriate, something older than that. It's something because the grandfather gave her the CD, so it's something. It's some sort of seventies, Terrible seventies.
Speaker 1: Super freak. Yes, yes, what it is.
Speaker 3: She's a super fun.
Speaker 1: All the performances are so good. Alan Arkin, I always love Alan Arkin is awesome, Tony Collapse, Greek in the Air is just it's quite a balance, isn't it, that role because you're not supposed to like him, but he's the dad and you don't really like it, like he's the almost a villain in the in the film, but you know, he comes good.
Speaker 3: And he has the beautiful scene which is the most nuanced piece of acting. And again one of the bits that I will always watch that film for just to see that scene where he's at the back of the combe van. They've got the dead body in the back and the cop stops them and the pawn falls out and the guy thinks that's what he's trying to hide. So the cop is kind of going through the pawn like giving him like raising an eyebrow, go that's nice, you know, busty ladies, and then turns another one. You know it's another lady's one, and then one of Steve Carell the gay Brother's pawn magazine I think it's called Buns and Ammo it's like a new guy with a gun and the guy and Greg can he just like looks at giving him the eyebrow again, there goes no, not that one, okay, just it's this beautiful kind of like oh into that.
Speaker 4: No, okay, Oh I love this stuff. I love it. God bless you, God bless you.
Speaker 2: Don't worry.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna bust you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Hey do you your family and to day, thank you to say all.
Speaker 4: The sweet thing, sweetness that is sweet. Yeah, thirty and this one is one of my favorite.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a little different choice.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, ye have good dad there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what happened.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you when I regain consciousness.
Speaker 1: Frank brilliant get.
Speaker 4: Up the question.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's just that is someone that you just go, wow, you can't you can't write that. That's just the most beautiful comic comic timing.
Speaker 1: And Paul Dano's so great. And when he finds out that you can't be a pilot if you're color blind, and he runs off into the crushing into the landscape and yeah, that's and it's beautiful and Olive. Olive goes to him and just sits with him. It's all happens, he sits with him and then the next thing you see and walking back hand in hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: And the Guard it's also grateful. I don't know. I don't know the gard. I've seen the Guard. I really enjoyed it. I don't know it as well as I know little Miss Sunshine. But that's Brendan Gleeson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Don Cheedle. That's rights the FBI agent who comes to a small Irish town to deal with a drug trafficking thing. And Brendan Gleeson is the kind of local Irish cop.
Speaker 1: And that's full on Irish, isn't it, Like yeah, quite a thick Yeah.
Speaker 3: And just again, it's one of those films that I loved a bit like The Departed, where it's so beautifully plotted and everything that you didn't necessarily think was relevant, but you kind of went, oh, okay, and you take in all these things along the way, and then they all pay at the end, and that's when you just go, oh, I love a film that everything pays off. There's no loose ends, there's no kind of logic flows or holes in it. You just go wow, it was all there for a reason. Every scene, every everything meant something.
Speaker 1: So do you do you hate films where they leave, you know, an ambiguous ending.
Speaker 3: It's not really about ambiguous endings for me. I'm not huge on them. But my bigger problem is logic flaws. Like there was the film and I can't remember the title of it, but it's Sandra Bullock and the guy is in hospital and he's been hit by a train and he already you know, a bit far fett.
Speaker 1: Is it two weeks? Notice that No, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's something about But he wakes up and looks at her and for some reason goes, yeah, yeah, I think so, and he says suddenly goes, oh yeah, you're my wife, and instead of going no, I'm not, she goes all right, and let's everyone go along with it. It's like, well, that could have been stopped with no, I'm not, you know, like and from then on like I'm out.
Speaker 1: My wife often says that Bridges will say one is doing this because they want to be a film.
Speaker 3: But there shouldn't be a film.
Speaker 1: They you're absolutely right, they should work harder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just try harder, Like there needs to be a reason, Like someone cut her tongue out. She can't tell him but then you go, okay, she could write it down like there needs to be a reason she couldn't tell him. Besides, oh, the moment never came because someone burst in. You know what, you could say, hang on, I just got something really important to tell this guy. I'm not your wife, by the way. That really shit.
Speaker 1: So the guard was was that made I think by one of the Donna mcdonna's mcdonnaugh yet not.
Speaker 3: The guy who did in Bridge.
Speaker 1: I think it's his brother, yes, John, and it's John yes, And I always get confused which one.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's Mark, Matthew, Mark Luke, one of those.
Speaker 1: Four, because I love I mean, I love all those in Bruges. I think it's such a brilliant film. I also got Brendan Gleeson. Then I'm not sure which one made Seven Psychopaths in the States, which didn't. I didn't see them, didn't feel as it wasn't as enjoyable. But then Cavalry, Oh yeah, it was brilliant as well. Also Brendan Gleeson, Yeah, that's a that's a great film.
Speaker 3: Is terrific because he manages to be unlikable but still you're kind of still rooting for him. He's a very unlikable character in that in the in the Guard And there's also a great scene with a little kid, just like that little kind of punky Irish kid that you know, is riding on a bike and telling everyone.
Speaker 1: To get You've tearing something I have not, You've taken something you didn't even act praised for fox S. It's like the brilliant Sex all over again. Don't make me fresh and.
Speaker 4: You're gonna frisk me out of your upon chargers.
Speaker 3: So much attitude.
Speaker 1: I love a kid on a bm in any movie, particular the BMX saying smart ass things. It just I've never said it not work. And Junebug is also a wonderful film.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's sort of a small film, I guess, and nothing that much happens in it, but the characters in it are just so sweet and everyone's the it's Amy Adams, very young Amy Adams, I think, who is the lead in it, and she's just the sweetest little hometown girl and she's you know, pregnant of whatever age and married to or you know, her boyfriend or husband is the guy who was from the OC I think he was from one of those. He was from some teen kind of show, and he's an asshole like you would be if he's seventeen and married in having a kid, you know, and he's just a teenager and he's an asshole, but he just he has one just beautiful moment where he's he knows that she loves me cats and you know, something comes on the television about me Cats and he's desperately trying to put a tape in to record it for after everything he's done has been horrible, everything he's done, and then he just has this one little moment where you go, oh, he's not all bad, Like there's one and he gets so frustrated because he can't do it, and he's putting the tape in. He's calling out to her, come down and come down. There's a thing there's and she comes down, she goes what and he's like by that time, he's lost it. He's completely furious he hasn't been able to get the tape in. He didn't, you know, the button was pressed out, you know, like on an old VCR tape where and by that stage, like and so she doesn't even see it. She doesn't even see that he had this nice moment where he tried to do something to it. It just really breaks your heart. Little things like that that I love in a film.
Speaker 1: I've seen June Bug when it came out once and I don't have a great recollection of it, and I don't remember that scene, but.
Speaker 3: Clearly neither do I because ignant.
Speaker 1: A pregnant woman. But what a fantastic idea, even for a scene like And that's what I love when people are making big things out of small moments. Yeah, I mean, what a beautiful idea just of showing somebody how much you love them by recording something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know it must have there must have been an instance where something like that happened, because it's such a weird kind of thing to do. There must, I always think, because I'm so not creative in that I'm always pulling things from my own life and putting them in you know, whatever scripts I write. Okay, good, that'll make a good scene, or I'll do that. And I always think someone in someone's life loved Meacats, Like there was some person who, like the writer, obviously knew someone who was obsessed by Meacatz or he was obsessed by Meacats or she was whatever. But I alays when you see little things like that, I think they really resonate because they must come from reality somehow. Yeah, they've actually happened to someone.
Speaker 1: The three films you've nominated is three of your favorites, and Joombag this is a world world away from that. So let's first of all discuss why why you hadn't seen it up until now.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, as you can see from my selection, The Guard is probably about as violent as I get, right, you know, and I like that because of the plotting more than the violence. Same with something like The Departed. I can tolerate the violence because it's so well plotted. But yeah, shoot them up things never really do it for me, and it just seemed like the Matrix always. I would look at it and go, Okay, that's a combination of science fiction and shoot them up not two of my favorite things. I can live without both those things, and Keanu Reeves probably one of my favorite things. I was a big fan of Point Break, of course, one of my favorite films.
Speaker 1: Great film. But we you as disappointed as I was when you saw because I had my summer holidays at Torquay and I was so excited because you know, somebody told me that they get the ends basically torqu and I was like, oh my god, this is going to like we we'll get to see where I go on my summer holidays and there are no there are no pine trees. Yeah, they're not there.
Speaker 3: They just picked one off the back. Was that no one ell even know.
Speaker 1: It was definitely not talking so and it was loud, wasn't it? It was very loud.
Speaker 3: I found it quite difficult, like in a nannery kind of way. And I don't know if it's just that I've got a bad television, but I did find I kept having to turn it down when all the guns were happening, and then I have to turn it back up because it's like, now I can't hear what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Are you somebody who turns the presses mute when the ads come on? Because I've got a friend who swears, and it's probably true that the ads are louder.
Speaker 3: Absolutely they're louder, yes, yeah, And you.
Speaker 1: Have to turn it down, yes, so he always I'm not.
Speaker 3: Smart enough to press mute. I just turned it down there. Now now I've learned something.
Speaker 1: Mute us that mute button. It is loud. I saw it. I think I've gone to like the Melbourne premiere of The Matrix and I remember going, Wow, this is something I've never seen before.
Speaker 3: I can imagine if you saw it at the time, because I mean, obviously it's spawned so many techniques and stuff that I've now kind of now they're kind of in there just filmmaking vernacular, so you just sort of see that sort of thing a lot. So I can imagine though, knowing that was the first they were the first people to do it, that it would have been amazing to watch on a big screen. I still wouldn't have understood it, but I might have appreciated all the effects.
Speaker 1: So loudness, let's discuss. Yeah, did you understand it? Like? Did you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I will be completely honest with you. I watched the first forty five minutes and just found it impenetrable. And I was watching it. My partner was up in Brunswick Heads and he was watching it with me, supposedly, you know, just watching it at the same time, and I just had to text him and go, Okay, can you press pause? And he got on the phone and explained it to me. And I have new respect for him. I never knew he was that smart.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, he started saying stuff.
Speaker 3: I was like, how did you get all that from this forty five minutes of I don't know what was happening?
Speaker 1: Did you do any googling? Well? No, no, no.
Speaker 3: I didn't, and I have since googled, And now, in hindsight, sure all that makes sense. But I don't know how anyone gets any of that from just watching it.
Speaker 1: I watched it this week again to prepare for this, and I hadn't seen it for years. And if somebody asked me what the matrix was, I'd go I had no idea. But this is my understanding of what the matrix is. So cold it reeves wakes up, you know, and we think he's living our life. He's just, you know, he isn't our world. It's a bit grammar and it's a bit you know, but it's it's basically that world our world. But then we find out that that's not that's not the real world.
Speaker 3: But how do we find that out? Peat? When did you How do you know that? What told you that?
Speaker 1: I think Morpheus explained explains it? Do you know?
Speaker 3: I think, and I wrote this down, I think Morpheus says a line that I thought summed up the whole film when he says, and I think it's Morpheus. But I could be wrong about this. There's nothing I can say that we'll explain it to you.
Speaker 5: There's nothing I can see that will explain it to you.
Speaker 1: Here I wrote, that's what I wanted to just turn it off.
Speaker 3: I go, well, if you can't explain it, how am I supposed to work it out?
Speaker 1: They say, the answer is looking for you? And I wrote that down. I thought, well, I hope, hope it finds me eventually, and nobody can be told what the matrix is.
Speaker 3: That seems like a really good get out of jail free card for any film to put it in, like when people go, I don't get it, so, well, what did we say?
Speaker 1: So? I think I wrote down to what I thought the matrix was okay, which is basically so Neo is. Actually we think it's real life, but he's actually living in a dream world. What we see at the beginning is actually a dream world. The real world is like one hundred years in the future, and that's gone to ship. It's gone all a bit whilely, and that the matrix is a computer simulation that helps them, I guess escape or deal with with that.
Speaker 3: Okay, so my question to you is.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'll be able to answer anything full disclosure, but yes, because.
Speaker 3: I understand that in hindsight, I didn't get that, but a few people have tried to tell me that's what's happening. So I understand that all of the humans are now in those pods, which was a great scene. I didn't know what I was looking at, but I ooh, applause for the special effects. People in pods, and then they create the matrix. Why if they've got them in pods, why do they have to give them this world to live in? Can't they just go, you're in a pod, suck it. Why do you have to give them You've already captured them and put them in a pod. You don't have to make them live.
Speaker 1: Would you rather live in a pod? Or like it's a question, but there would you rather be dead alive?
Speaker 3: But well, it's the War of the machines, like I think, you know, to the victor go the spoils and they get to just put you apod. They don't have to provide niceties for you. It's like we put people in jail, and they go, We'll create a lovely reality for you to live in, and you can take your drugs and kill people and do whatever you want in this lovely reality, even though you're in jail.
Speaker 1: I just well, he jails are quite nice.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't understand the premise of I get it now. The Matrix is an alternate reality created by the machines. Ye, yes, Hugo Weaving is a you know why they couldn't adjust his dials on his machine to make him do less acting? Great, he's a machine, let's dial him down a bit. But I just don't understand why you have to be so nice to these people that you've killed and put in pods.
Speaker 1: It's a good question, speaking questions. Have you ever seen a movie that asks so many questions? I feel like they're like and apparently count the Reeves half is literally half his dialogue A questions.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't then spot that. I have to watch that again, and I just don't know that I could.
Speaker 1: There are so many questions.
Speaker 3: I've got a question answers. Because the oracle, yes, she lives in the alternate reality. She lives in the Matrix. They didn't go to planet Zion for her. Did they know they went to so she's a construct created by the machines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't think of that.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: See, feel like if they brought me that script, I could have said, guys, I needed to do another pass. There's a few logic holes here. It's like Sandra Bullock's not said, hey, hang on a minute, I'm not your wife.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like that.
Speaker 1: So okay, here's a question. Is it possible to enjoy a film that you don't understand?
Speaker 3: Yes? I feel like after that first forty five minutes and then I took a break and had it explained to me, then I did quite enjoy the next bit. I felt like the first forty five minutes was really hard going. The Blue pill and the Red Pill are sticking a thing on the back of his neck, and you know, there was a lot of stuff going on, and then it kind of just became a good action film. I knew who the goodies were, I knew who the baddies were. They transport themselves through telephones, magical like in the future, we all wear black leather, it's just.
Speaker 1: And have knockier flips.
Speaker 3: And then I got it, So then I could enjoy it, But that first forty five minutes where they tried to create what was happening, I felt like, I don't think I need any of that. I just could have started at the forty five minute mark where they all just started fighting. And then the guy who was a rebel tried to double deal. Then I was getting it. He tried to sell them out. I sort of could understand all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Then, Yeah, I reckon I had a pretty similar journey to you. And I'm often and I've said this about the Matrix and even the sequels. A lot of people didn't like the sequels.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I was thrilled to realize there were a few more that I.
Speaker 1: Could watch in another two episodes. They're actually making a Matrix four right now. It was shut down because of COVID.
Speaker 3: To them, see if they want me to do a pass on the street spot their logic flows.
Speaker 1: So I was sorry.
Speaker 3: You had a similar journey, you said, yes.
Speaker 1: And I've always said about the major and the sequels. To me, they just got of cool action films, yes.
Speaker 3: And I felt like once I embraced that, and once they got into the action, and once he put on his black leathers. Okay, I get it now, I know who's who and what's happening. But all of that preamble of you know, I think there was a what was the the the worm that went into his belly button.
Speaker 1: That's when it got really quite weird. I thought that the point where you kind of thought, okay, you know, you're in a movie where you feel a bit of a jolt, you can Okay, here we go, now we're going was when he says, I know kung fu, When he says that you've got to go, Okay, this is cool?
Speaker 3: And is that because he woke up because they programmed come.
Speaker 1: Through downloading all these things.
Speaker 3: I liked that aspect of it. I could see myself enjoying that aspect of it rather than have to go to the gym. I just thought, can you just download?
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things that I was downloaded was because it was like tai chi and all you know, taekwondo, and one of them was drunk Drunken Boxing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Surprised I didn't. We actually didn't see County drunk Box. That would have been nice.
Speaker 3: You never got to see the planet Sion though, did we know?
Speaker 1: But the fictional planet Sion from Memory. You see it plays a bigger partner, sequels good something. I loved Laurence Fishburn's sunglasses. I thought that was maybe the best special effects in thet I felt.
Speaker 3: Like they wouldn't have been approved by the Cancer Council. I felt like they were letting in too much light around the edges. You won't see an old person wearing them. They prefer those bigger spaceman spiff glass It would.
Speaker 1: Have been great to see a scene with Laurence Fishburn Morpheus trying those sunglasses on. Look with the little thing you got to spit around the little mirror, the sticker on the tagging matrix four. If you're listening, you need we need that scene. What do you stand on? Counter Reeves? You said you liked him like just as a as an actor?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 3: Do I like him as an actor?
Speaker 2: Look?
Speaker 3: I did enjoy Point Break. That was probably I think Point Break was probably one of the first violent films that I watched. That was an incredibly violent film. Remember how many guns they were in that Like when the those bank robbers, they had some serious weapons, and up until that stage, we hadn't really seen those kind of that kind of level of weapon. I don't think not in films I've been watching.
Speaker 1: Maybe well it was Rambo Rambow stands out of somewer.
Speaker 3: Sure, I guess, I guess that wasn't on that wasn't.
Speaker 1: On my Why why why had you been so adverse to violent films or I don't like I.
Speaker 3: Don't like I can't watch that stuff. I don't like watching people get punched. I hate punching stuff. You know, I do have to turn away. I don't like horror films. I don't like blood, don't like gore. Just I don't find it frightening. I just find it unpleasant. And I spend a lot of those kind of films watching through my fingers or just saying to someone, tell me when it's over. I don't I just get no joy out of seeing people get punched. And I quite like those choreographed kung fui type scenes. There's a bit less, but I don't like shooting things and shooting people in the head and.
Speaker 1: Not a fight club fan, no, not.
Speaker 3: Really too, and any sort of slow motion thing where someone punches someone in their face and then blood kind of comes out of their mouth, like you know, on a tooth and like sprays in slow motion. I don't like that.
Speaker 1: So would you have seen many Tarantino films.
Speaker 3: I saw Reservoir Dogs and found you know, obviously I liked the film for all the reasons that people like that film, because it was kind of new. We hadn't seen that stuff before. But yeah, I didn't get off on the scenes where he was dancing around and cutting someone's ear off.
Speaker 1: I just, yeah, I don't like it.
Speaker 3: It's it's I didn't really watch for the same reason because I just saw that it was all blood and gorn that was.
Speaker 1: Particularly particularly fine. But it's insually when there's films that obviously have like violence is a part of a film, like say pulp fiction, but there's there's so many other things about that film that makes it makes it great. So it's a tricky yeah, balance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to watch a really sanitized version of it where they just cut those bits out. It just goes to black to save me.
Speaker 1: Re release Reserble Dogs and instead of cutting the policeman's ear of it, it's just a wet willie. Yeah, So Kean Reeves, I looked up. I'm often curious as to like when we go back and watch these films. What was going on for this these actors at that time? And he made Speed in ninety four, so five years earlier he made Speed. I got to get on that bus.
Speaker 2: You're going to get Yeah, yeah, you get on the bus.
Speaker 3: And then he was like that was a big break then between Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's five years and he had made some pretty average films. Wrote him down. He made uh and they were all kind of you know, for one of a better term flops, it was Johnny Yrmonic walk in the Clouds, feeling Minnesota and.
Speaker 3: Was that a woman Minnesota?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen feeling Minnesota? Oh, look it up me too, I will look up later. And the Devil's Advocate or the Devil's Advocate he played, and then he made Yeah. Then the Matress came out and he Warner Brothers wanted Johnny Depp as their first choice, really, which can you can kind of understand? Yeah, that would have worked. And then actually I think the little Kowski's wanted Johnny Depp, and then Warner Brothers wanted the other Brad Pitt or Vel Kilma to play.
Speaker 3: In his in his pre bloat days, in his pre bloat Yeah, so still kind of still kind of ice ice man.
Speaker 1: Ice man. Yeah, well top come to that was eighty four, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: Save And that was a great film. Do you remember Top Secret?
Speaker 1: Literally watched it. I didn't watch it all, but it was on TV and I have to watch a certain you know, I won't necessarily watch all the film when it's on, but i'll watch. I watch about half an hour.
Speaker 3: That's just gag after gag. It's just a film of gags.
Speaker 1: So all the gags we had that on VHS. This has come up quite a bit on this podcast already that often your favorite movies are the ones you had on VHS. You could play a game play again taped off the TV sometimes if you if you paused.
Speaker 3: Do you have brothers and sisters?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So do you still recite certain bits from certain films to each other?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 3: My brother's sister and I all still say that's a big twinkie from Ghostbusters. Well it's the step off marshmallow Man. It's all stuff from Ghostbusters.
Speaker 1: We do a bit of lamp in the National Lampion's Vacation. Oh yeah, I think he's gonna pot our dad is in a pork okay may may yes, But we we had top sicret growing up and that got played so many times. Dej we met before and Shuckler's Moose. Sorry, Val Kilma was Val Kilma. Welkimore was the choice. And for Max Morpheus, he's an history one Gary Oldman. Oh one of those.
Speaker 3: I Will Smith was also offered.
Speaker 1: He didn't. He was yes.
Speaker 3: I wanted to high five him for that. Go right on, Will Smith. I didn't get it either.
Speaker 1: Well, Kanu apparently got the role because he did understand it.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Well I would believe that of him. He seems like a kind of a deep guy that's into that sort of alternate reality stuff.
Speaker 1: He came on I was doing a show tonight, show called Rove Live, and he came on that show and asked him. This is years after he wasn't promoting the Matrix, I don't think and Robe asked, do you Understan? Did you understand what the Matrix is about? And he just like bang. Obviously he had been asked before and yeah, but he had this like ten seconds spill that this went this is what it is?
Speaker 3: Yeah right. I always heard really nice stories about him, like from Crewe people that worked on that film. Yeah, what a generous guy. Wasn't how lovely he was. He didn't seem like a which I think has kind of all come out recently anyway, like that, He's just the nicest guy in the world. Yeah, it's kind of his thing now.
Speaker 1: I've interviewed him a couple of times, and interviews always weird because people can you know, it's almost a performance. But he's genuinely lovely, I think, yeah, Cause I think as we record this, Ona Writers been in the news for mel Gibson said some horrendous things shock to her. But I think on they made Dracula together, Oh that's right, and Francis bought Coppola was trying to get Keanu Reeves that they needed to know to writer's character to cry, and they were trying to get counter Reeves to scream at her off camera just to let's say horrible things and make a cry, and counter Reeves refused to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I read that as well, and she had an interesting response to it which I really understood, which was when she said, and they tried to get everyone to you know, scream at me and abuse me to make me cry, and it did the opposite. And I completely understand what she's talking about because I remember I used to do kickboxing and I really enjoyed it just as a form of exercise, but I was never doing it like because I wanted to be aggressive or you know. And this is years ago, and and I remember the guy used to tell me that I wasn't aggressive enough. And one day we were kind of you know, punched me and he and he punched me in the head like, and I just kind of stopped and put my arms down and went, why'd you do that? And he went, I was trying to provoke a reaction. I was like, well, my reaction is what the hell did you punch me in the head for? Not like he was trying to get me to punch him back, like he thought it would really fire me up, like I had a thing on. So it's fine, Like it wasn't damaged me. But you know, the kind of rule was don't punch people in the head. I thought, like that's how I grew up. My mom alway says, don't punch people in the head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good rule.
Speaker 3: Don't ever hit people.
Speaker 4: In the head.
Speaker 3: That was my mum's cry all the time. Not the temples, not the temples like we always had this fear that if you hit anyone in the temple, you would.
Speaker 1: Kill I had the same light and not even particularly hard, like this was just a little soft spot in both temples.
Speaker 3: It was like you've got a fontanelle on either side of your head that never closed over. According to my mum, the triple fontanelle one closes over on the top, but these two stay open.
Speaker 1: So how long did you do kickboxing for?
Speaker 3: It was when I was in the UK and I did it. I did it for about a year when I was on the Sketch Show, and I used to go to kickboxing every morning, and it was really good because I found the sket Show quite stressful and I used to like get quite uptight on it, like because it was just it was quite a high pressure kind of environment we're working in and everyone was like kind of very aggressive with their you know, ideas and that's not good and that is good and whatever, and you know, it was it was a good environment to work in. But I needed to kind of get all my tension out before I went to work so that I didn't ever sit. Otherwise I would sit and lose my temper a you know, at the script table and they go, oh sorry, everyone spend the afternoon apologizing. So what I started doing was I would go to kickboxing from you know, seven till eight thirty and then arrive on set like this, everyone who feeling good. I've just been a complete kind of like, yeah, relaxed steak for the rest of the day. So yeah, it was about being relaxed for me.
Speaker 1: Have you ever shocked anyone by like pulling some kickboxing moves or do you have that fantasy of kind of going well, even if it's for like a role on TV or a film role where you could go, you know, to say, no, I could call some sweet kickboxing moves that would be awesome.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't. I do love the and I'm not good at it, but I do love a roundhouse kick. I think there's nothing better than a roundhouse kick. It's so impressive if you can.
Speaker 1: Do it, and it's hard, harder than it looks. Yeah, like if sometimes I will, I will like when they try one, like go to joke and I'll get like a quarter into doing one and I'll just go, oh, no, I can't do that.
Speaker 3: And I think they're only ever useful if you are top notch, like unless you're really good, the roundhouse kick is no good for beginners. Like with beginners always going come on, just use your push kick. Use your push kick. It's more, you know, that's the one you want to use if you're in self defense. It's like, yeah, but if I'm ever, you know, come up against someone, I'd much rather like, whoo, just stop for a minute, stay still, and I'm going to roundhouse kick here.
Speaker 1: That is that. That is great. And Samuel Jackson was also considered to play you can imagine, and and Trinity was Sandra Bullock.
Speaker 3: Well, obviously they wanted to you know, was she considered after they had Keanu reeves on? Did they want to bring back the pairing or no?
Speaker 1: They It's an interesting question because Santa Blick knocked it back. And what I was she knocked it back because the person who they had in mind to play there at that stage she didn't think either didn't want to work with them or didn't think they would work well together.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I wonder it was Yeah, she didn't.
Speaker 1: Like, well, maybe it was someone like maybe it was Val Kilma, because you know, he's got a reputation for me a bit difficult yeah, hmm, we're going to send you. Let's get Sandra Bullock on the phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got a few questions for her, and I just want to say I do love her as well. She was one of my favorite romantic lead kind of comedy people. I always thought she was funny, she had very you know, crack comedy timing.
Speaker 1: She's not dead.
Speaker 3: I just meant that. I just meant that. I kind of wrote her off in that opening. Feel it's made it sound like I didn't like Sandra Bullock because she was in that one dumb film.
Speaker 1: Do you know a really funny movie that she's in that she made more recently with is Melissa McCarthy where they played spies.
Speaker 3: I love it Heat or something.
Speaker 1: It's such a great Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed it. Very funny, and she's great in it. She she plays such a good funny character.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that film.
Speaker 1: I was kind of hoping there might be a sequel to that film. It's Paul five made that.
Speaker 3: Film, is you know Okay, that's why it's so funny.
Speaker 1: But yes, and I really love Carrie and Moss in This is Trinity. I think it's really cool.
Speaker 3: She's you know, she's terrific.
Speaker 1: She's hot, she's hot, she's great. She wears the leather, Well she does?
Speaker 3: What can you just tell me? You know the thing they put on the back of your head? Do you know what? What is that? I don't think that just so they can plug you in.
Speaker 1: I think I said, they download like the matrix into you, isn't it? Or connect you with the matrix?
Speaker 3: I hang on, but didn't the monsters create didn't the machines create the matrix?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: So didn't I thought Morpheus put that in after he chose to take the right pill. Don't they then put the thing on the back of your head? Or has everyone got a thing on the back of the head?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 3: Does that? Is that what you get and you're plugged into the pod?
Speaker 1: Yes? Because he gets they.
Speaker 3: We just didn't see it there before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they put that silver stuff on him. This is neo. Yeah, and then the silver stuff kind of goes down. He's he's going. Then does he wake up in the pod after that? Is that? Does he get plugged in and then wake up into the pod?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe the plug was there in the pod, but we only see it because they've shaved his head by the time.
Speaker 1: Shave his head in a bath of milk.
Speaker 3: It all makes so much sense.
Speaker 1: This is the one. This is the one episode of this podcast where I was a bit like, I'm not sure how much I really understand this, And it was you.
Speaker 3: You pushed me to this one as well. I gave you another option and you said, no, let's do the matrix. I was like, okay, and I was like, really up for the challenge. They watched and went, oh, no, I can't speak about this. I don't understand it.
Speaker 1: I hadn't seen it for so long, so I thought it was a good opportunity to go back, revisit it and perhaps try to understand it. But I I'm like, yes, you know, I will often just go I'm just enjoying this film because I know who the good guys are, don't know who the bad guys are.
Speaker 3: And Trita at the point I did kind of enjoy it and find it a good, you know, rollicking film. From forty five minutes on.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I text you when I was watching it. It gets better after forty five Hang in there. Did you you've lived Were you born in Sydney? Yeah? Yeah, so you're born and raised in Sydney. Did you enjoy see you recognize Sydney?
Speaker 3: Not only did I recognize Sidney recognized a few Home and Away actors in the Yes, in the in the cast.
Speaker 1: As well, Yes, the.
Speaker 3: When they follow the White Rabbits, the girl who's in Home and Away.
Speaker 1: Now yes, yeah, and then the actor who gets he's the one who designs, makes it, designs all the design the woman in the red dress. Uh, Damion or Damon I forget his name. I apologize.
Speaker 3: Not Tom not from Blue Heelers, Not Damian wash Howling or Damon.
Speaker 1: Here, Damon Harriman, Damon Damon's.
Speaker 3: He probably wasn't born then he was in the.
Speaker 1: Sullivan's Damon Harriman.
Speaker 3: Was he the baby?
Speaker 1: He wasn't, kiddy. I'm going I'm going to look it up because I feel bad that I am. I meant to write it down because I think he's really good in it, and as I was watching it, I thought, why haven't we seen him do more? After this? It is Matt Doran Okay, yes, and he played mouse.
Speaker 3: Right who played the baddie that sold them out.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that is he's American Joe pant. That's too much, you know, did you watch the Sopranos. Maybe you didn't because of the violence, but did you know I did.
Speaker 3: I did watch this.
Speaker 1: He was wealthy. Okay, he's always he's really good at playing.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, now I'm seeing it come the.
Speaker 1: Sleazy kind of characters.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 1: And I think ed Cavli was telling us now tonight that he was the he was quite overweight going into this, and he rocked up and got lipose suction and basically build the Wakowskis for the lipose suction. They said, yeah, they wanted they wanted them. They wanted me to be thinner, so I wouldn't got lip a section unreal built it to Warner Brothers. Handy, nice if you can do it. But I recognize, yeah, you know, Sydney's very recognizable in it. And I think the Harbor bridges in the background of the last shot, and I asked, I saw a Commonwealth Bank logo.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was weird, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I thought, I could that really stuck out.
Speaker 3: It was when they were having the Was it when they were in the foyer having a before they went into the foyer to have a fight, or was it when in the Martin place?
Speaker 1: It was one of the Martin Place scenes on the where I think we first see the woman in the red dress.
Speaker 3: And they just walked past the comys.
Speaker 1: Like an atm. With the budget you have, surely you could have fixed that in post. Just because it's a yellow it's a yellow black symbol. It's just very weird. It's very weird. But apparently they to make this film in the States, it would have cost one hundred and eighty million bucks and they did it in Sydney and they made it for sixty mili.
Speaker 3: Well, if they've done it the ABC, they could have done it for fucking forty grand.
Speaker 1: Do you like seeing movies made in like you know, your hometown or yeah?
Speaker 5: Do?
Speaker 3: I thought they did a good job. I thought, like when you looked at it, like it wasn't overtly Sydney, it did just look like, you know, a kind of metropolis, and it was a little bit I thought it was a bit of a shame that it was a metropolis that you know, had been destroyed by the machines. That's kind of what they were presenting. They weren't kind of going, look it's just like new It was like kind of, look, this is what happens when the machines take over and a city goes to shit, it looks like this. That's a bit of a but it did still. I thought it still held up as Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it reminded me. There's a movie called Dark City that was also shot in Sydney, and it really reminded me of that. And as I was doing a little bit of research and lo and behold that they used a lot of the sets from Dark.
Speaker 3: The same sets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it looks very Yeah, it was very similar. Did you when Neo gets shot at the end, what you think we spoiler? Did you think, ah, he's dead or did you think he's of course he's not dead.
Speaker 3: Okay, well this is something I take issue with, right yeah, because apparently he was dead until Love's first kiss woke him up. Now, I found it a little weird that we're watching this, you know, neo punk sci fi thing and then Sleeping Beauty happens like he was dead for all intents and purposes till she kissed him on the mouth and went you can't be dead. I love you kiss. Oh he's awake. That's when I really wanted to flip the table and go, oh hey, I was investing I was getting into it. I was enjoying the world. But you can't do that, Like I needed something besides a kiss to wake him up.
Speaker 1: Have you seen Rise of Skywalker? No, Okay, that happens. It's the kind of thing that only happens in fairy tales movie. I've never heard of it happening in real life. Doctor's passion dying.
Speaker 3: He's coding, he's coding. Someone get his first love in here. The nurse runs in with the crash car, but they're just like, tips it aside and goes, let me kiss him, see if I can do it.
Speaker 1: Kiss En Helper insp Well. I like one thing I liked about that was the gender reversal. Usually it is the often it's been. I think the man kiss the dead princess. At least at least it was the woman keessing the man bring the man back to life. That was that was good?
Speaker 3: Is there anything like was I you know, like, was it really obvious?
Speaker 5: And was it?
Speaker 3: The thing? Was the reason his name was Neo because he's the one yes, and that's a nanogram of that.
Speaker 1: There's a whole lot of religious mind.
Speaker 3: I felt like they could have made it a bit harder. Yeah, like, that's a pretty easy anagram, Like even I could get that one. It was kind of it should have been a little bit more difficult. And then they revealed, Oh my god, it means the chosen.
Speaker 1: One's he's the one. Guy over there told me, I wonder if that's what it was in if that's what his name was. My son watched this, just told me as I was watching it, he watched it in religion. They watched it. The matrix in religion is he he's fifteen and he understood it, he said, he did. I didn't really test him because I couldn't fall back on my own knowledge. I let it go. But yeah, there's a whole bunch of religious kind of you know things throughout, is there. Yeah, yeah, well, I mean the obvious.
Speaker 3: One that's right, was when Jesus died, someone came and kissed him awake, and that's how I got.
Speaker 4: Out of.
Speaker 1: Well, the fact that he dies and he comes back, that's that's, you know, And he's sent he's basically sent down to help.
Speaker 3: And Jesus did a lot of kung fu.
Speaker 1: In Corinthians sixty four, and Jesus said, on top of the mountain, I know kung Fu.
Speaker 3: I would probably be into Christianity far more. If Jesus did Kung Fu, that would be pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Are you are you spiritual at all?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I was brought up Catholic, so that kind of killed the boy. I think. I think Catholicism. The one good thing about Catholicism is it it's like a vaccination against cults and religion. Like you're never going to go into a cult if you've been Catholic. No one in any of those things comes out of and goes, oh, it's weird. And I grew up Catholic. I should have known better. If you've brought up Catholic and you go to church every Sunday and you get indoctrinated with all that stuff, yet you eventually wake up and go, Okay, I'm immune. I'm now immune to religion.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I was raised Catholic, and for the sclosure, my kids go to Catholic school. But I've discussed it on stage before. I've never quite found the time to work out my belief system, you know what I mean. Like I've just kind of got like I think I know, and you know, I think I know what I believe. Yeah, you know, possibly there's nothing really out there, but I quite liked my childhood. Yeah, so I've kind of got okay, Well, I will use the Catholic education system.
Speaker 3: I'm a bigger fan of the New Testament than the Old. I found the Old Testament vengeful. I don't feel that. I don't think God's got any place being vengeful. That's what I struggle with. I struggle with avengeful God.
Speaker 1: I always wonder that Jesus was a bit better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like you all. He got cross once in the temple, flipped a few tables, but you know, we all, we all have our moments. That's when he took up kung fu, got his stress out in the mornings and then he'd go off.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Sorry, no, no, not at all. I but it's funny because I'm not sure when you got something in the comedy and like you said, meeting people from different you know, parts of the world and different parts of Australia. You just I was shocked up until then. And this I was twenty one. I just thought I really thought everyone was Catholic. I really did. And I thought, oh, well, there's a lot of atheists. Because I used to do a lot of comedy about religion, like you know, and that just you know, like nothing particularly good, like just stuff like you know, Jesus being a carpenter and just doing capry jokes, and they're thinking everyone had the same even my audience. So I would be thinking everyone's on the same page.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, we.
Speaker 1: All know these stories, you all know the references. Yeah, when you start doing comedy, did you not necessarily in regards to religion, but did you did you find oh, there's all these people with different points of view?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I guess I did a little bit of a similar thing whereas I because I used to talk about nuns and I was so familiar with nuns, and then realizing, as you're doing in the comedy, you kind of go, I might need to explain nuns to some people, because even when I was growing up, nuns were a dying thing, you know, like they were dying out, like they were all old. I did, we just had nuns because I was at a school where there was a convent attached to it, which was where all the old nuns were kind of you know, hidden and left to you know, eat oatmeal and die.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, it was. I did have a far more realistic view of nuns, like, although we did have one nun that wore the full wimple like a sister act nun called Sister Cleophus. Yeah, and she was the school guidance counselor. But what I realized with our nuns at our school is they weren't really the things they were given. They were kind of just given something to keep them busy. Like, so she sort of had I think what happened was they would sit around the convent and they go, what would you like to do, Sister Clairefus, And she said, well, I think I could give the girl some guidance counseling. So she had no training. She just set up at a little office with guidance counselor on it and waited for us all to come in there and realize she doesn't know what she's talking about. And the same with you know sister Ann who obviously put a hand up and said, I'd like to teach maths. So I think maybe you should go and learn maths before your tea shirt. And so every class, you know, this is year eleven maths, And she would start with more and girls We're going to start with the prayer for sister Mary Bernadette not feeling well this morning, and then we do this pre sist Mary better than she turned your page thirty. We're going to do sign cosantane, Signed cosantane. Little bit of health from Jesus today would not go astray. It was just like, God, Wow, that's how we learned maths was with a little bit of help from Jesus. So, yeah, that sort of stuff. I realized it wasn't necess already going to play to everybody, so you had to kind of find a way to explain it as a weird thing rather than here's something we're all we're all going to get and be. It's more like, here's a weird thing that you might not have realized if you didn't have the weird things going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, growing up, what role did movies play where you were like a family avid movie watches. Were there rituals or routines with them watching movies?
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean I think that is something that's missing now. And I mean I don't want to be one of those people that goes and it was better back then, but I did. I so enjoyed when a movie would come out and everybody would go and see it, and it would just be the movie that everybody saw, and it was the thing that everybody talked about, Like when Grease came out. You're probably younger than me and don't quite remember the Grease phenomenon being at the movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one I really remember, and I have really fond memories was when Crocodile Dune Dee came out. Yeah, it felt like everyone went and saw that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I remember the years came out was like in that year that it was sort of on every cinema everyone that had a birthday, it would be, you know, Cindy's having a birthday party and we're going to Greece. So you could see it like eight times. If you got the invitation to eight different birthdays where they were going to go and see Greece. No one every went, oh no, I've seen it. I don't want to go. It was like, oh, unreal, we're going to go and see it again. But the film I remember the most, And I don't know if I'm getting the year right, but I think it was seventies. Could be wrong about that, might have been a bit later. But et when ET came out, and it was the first movie I watched. And I came out and I'd seen it with some friends and my mum and dad as well. I remember being really embarrassed because I didn't know what was happening because I was crying, like it was the first time. I was like crying from kind of joy and happiness and like it wasn't that I was upset about. And I just didn't know, and I was really embarrassed. When I came out, I was like, call teary, and I was like, oh, don't look at me. That look at me, because I thought everyone was going to goeh, what are you crying for? And probably they did, but I just I was so moved. I was so moved by at going home, I cried.
Speaker 1: I had the same experience. I cried my heart out watching ET. I remember. I remember the day I saw it. We went into the city to watch.
Speaker 3: It, my sort at the State Theater.
Speaker 1: I remember, yeah, and It's and I watched it recently, did it on this podcast with Ben Lomass and and it's it's it holds up so well. It is such a brilliant, beautiful film.
Speaker 3: You know what else holds up as far as you know. Obviously it's a Spielberg film, so of course they hold up. But you do watch them back and you go, wow, he really was just hitting the beat every time and pushing your buttons on everything. Jaws, Yeah, my god, that's still like moves out of pace. Because you know, sometimes you go back and you watch films from the seventies seventies, go there's a bit slow, and you know in today's time they'd have been straight in and started that with the action sequence whatever. But Jaws really still moves at a clip.
Speaker 1: But also Jaws, like the sharks not in it as much as I remember, No great, yeah, because he just builds his tension.
Speaker 3: It's also not quite as scary when you see anymore either.
Speaker 1: But yes, the Universal Studios and seen the Shark over there. It's do you remember the first film you saw.
Speaker 3: See? My first sort of film memory of going to that. I can remember the cinema I was in was et where I actually went to the cinema, but I know I must have seen movies before that. But that's my most vivid memory of being at the State Theater in Sydney where they used to show movies obviously, which they don't anymore. It's a venue now, but no, I can't actually remember the first.
Speaker 1: And health do you check out movies now?
Speaker 3: I really like going to the cinema. I used to go to the cinema a lot when I was in the UK because I'd always be on tour. Not on tour, but just like as a comedian, you were just away every weekend doing club gigs just around the country. And my favorite thing was to always go to the cinema at eleven o'clock in the morning, and it was only five pounds. It was actually relatively cheap there to like, it's really expensive here to go to the cinema, but yeah, and I just go at eleven o'clock in an empty cinema. Nothing better. I love going to the movies by myself, so do I. It's just the best.
Speaker 1: Do you feel when you go somebody else? There's is that wondering if they're enjoying it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit of pressure if you've picked the film. Certain people I don't want to go to films with anymore because I just kind of they never get it or they don't like the same things I do. Like, I'm quite careful now. The one of the recent film memories I had of going with a bunch of people and having a great time again. It was when I was, you know, touring, and I tour with my sister and my sister and tour manager and I went to see Amy s Humer's film train Wreck, train Wreck, and we went we were on tour in Brisbane and we just went we'd had we must have. We watched a really bad film the night before. I won't say what it was, but we all felt just we were just angry about how bad it was. We watched it on DVD. We'd all been really looking forward to it. We watched it and were so furious that we had just wasted an hour and a half and invested in it. The next morning just went, you know what, eleven o'clock, let's go and see train Wreck. And we just sat in that cinema all to ourselves and had the time. It was like it was like we were cleansed, cleansed of this stupid film we'd watch the night before.
Speaker 1: I'm going to definitely ask you off did make you mad because of like messaging in the film, or just.
Speaker 3: How did this get made? Like are you kidding me? Like shut up, get off. I wanted to frisbee the DVD into the Brisbane River after we finished, and they stopped me citing pollution, and I went, all right, that was the only thing that stopped me. But I just never wanted that thing to I didn't want to take it home.
Speaker 1: There's nothing like going and having a great laugh out loud moment, you know, in the cinema. Obviously in Bridesmaids with Bridge and this had the same reunit, just like we just laughed the whole way through it.
Speaker 3: I think another one again, same thing during in Adelaide. Going to the cinema during the day on your day off, you know, which is such a nice thing to do because you wouldn't normally do it if you're working every night. Wentz or Game Night. Yes, oh my god, that's a funny film. That was a I watched it again last night, but and you still laughed, like so many good bits. But at the cinema, God, we enjoyed that film. We all just were like again, three of us, matual manager, my sister and myself just sitting in a pretty much empty cinema. And it does make you a bit sad though as well. You go this is a really good film. Everyone should be in here. Yeah, I do get sad about that.
Speaker 1: Because I do have memories of going to the movies, you know, when it's you know where you had to you had you tick up your seat and you had to sit in that seat because you know all the seats are going to be full. Yeah. Now it's just there's no point really telling you.
Speaker 3: Where, because it's a bit sad, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It is, it really is. And hopefully, you know, when we come through the other side of this craziness, all the cinemas are still there.
Speaker 3: But there's certain cinemas you won't go to anymore. Like I won't go to any of the big kind of you know, multiplex things anymore, just because there's too many young people with phones on and getting up. Who gets up in the middle of the film. If your snacks run out, bad luck, your snacks have run out, like they go and refill. They should shut the snack bar.
Speaker 1: They should, they should. I because I I have a nana's bladder. So it was a long film. I sometimes do have to like and I just and I don't think I ever run as fast we.
Speaker 3: My pants before I leve Cema just because you're going to miss something. It's like if you walk into the cinema and it started, I have to leave. I can't. I can't if I've missed the first minute, I can't. I have to, I can't go.
Speaker 1: I feel I feel that way if it's almost like your gate crashed a movie, but you might.
Speaker 3: Have missed something so crucial. That's what I always think. What if I missed the first crucial minute.
Speaker 1: And I've got kids so often, and they're old enough now this doesn't happened so much now, but they know when I had to take them to the toilet, you know, when I couldn't let them just walk out of the cinema and go. I would have to. And I remember Oscar once, my youngest, three times in a movie. That's it is.
Speaker 3: It's just I want your attention.
Speaker 1: I'm not wanting to myself. I'm not enjoying this movie.
Speaker 3: That was really difficult for me because I really enjoy animation and Pixar films and those kind of things, and it was quite difficult for me to come to terms with the fact that when I go and see those at the cinema, it's going to be full of kids. Yeah, and you have to just accept that there's going to be noise and it's going to be talking, and that's what happens. So I just started waiting for them to come to streaming because you can't really turn around and shush three you're oh, stop it. You can tell old people that.
Speaker 1: Kids, I want to work a buzz light. It's going to get home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they run around. It's like, sit down.
Speaker 1: Running around is too much like come on parents, rain. And then it took me a while to kind of get used to the idea of going to those films, you know, by myself, you know.
Speaker 3: Like animation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really I just kind of saw them as you know, as kids films, and yeah, I think I absolutely love them, but it just took me. I remember seeing Toy Story and there was quite a lot of buzz about the animation. It's quite like a bit of a game changer. So I was like, from a from a cinephiles perspective, I'll check this Toy Story out. I thought, bloody hell, this is amazing. Yea, and I love it.
Speaker 3: My sister's got three boys and when they were younger, and my sister hates animation, hates it, and so I would like, you know, oh my god, this is a drink. I'm true. I'm going to take their kids to animation, same experience I had. One of my nephews wanted to go to the toilet twice in the films. Never again, Never again. You know I missed crucial bits of that film.
Speaker 1: Well, when The Force Awakens came out, I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I was obviously very excited, and I took all three boys. Date opened and Oscar wanted to go to the bathroom, you know, a pretty crucial point. So I had to go back and watch it the next day. And so you took him, Yeah, yeah, I didn't learn him what his pants?
Speaker 3: What if you just said just give it five minutes?
Speaker 1: So if you forget well I tried. I tried a few things. I was like, mate, just just hold it in. No more water.
Speaker 3: Beverages.
Speaker 1: But but then, so when the next Dole Wills film came out, I actually went and saw it by myself. I didn't tell them. I just went so by myself. So I've got it. I've seen it. And then the next day I went and saw it with the I could be fun out if you need to go to the bathroom. I can take you to the bathroom. So yeah, there you go. Well, can you thank you so much for coming on board? You ain't saying thanks for having me?
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry I didn't have better insights into the matrix.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry I didn't have any answers for you.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't it have been great. I've got to sat here and explain the whole thing to you.
Speaker 1: That would have been great.
Speaker 3: That was my plan. I'm really going to get this. I'm going to focus, I'm going to understand it. I'm going to blow Pete's mind. It just didn't happen.
Speaker 1: It didn't. But we we know that you're no kickboxing now and that song, yeah yeah, look out people, look out. Thanks Kiddy, Thanks once again to Kittie Flanagan for dropping by. You ain't seen nothing yet. I couldn't wait to record this conversation. Like the movie, we had a lot of questions. I'm it's not sure if we had that many answers, but it was fun trying to get our noggins around the matrix. If you have if you want to explain the matrix to me, or if you have anything that is raised in this episode, get on to me at Yasney podcast at gmail dot com. Yasney as in you ain't seen nothing yet, y A S N Y. Until then we'll see then. Bye, and so we leave all Pete save fan su and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.