Speaker 1: Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I'll be going behind the scenes with the biggest players in television today. On the podcast, I have a pretty big deal. And that's my words and not his. It's CEO and MD at ITV Studios. David Mott a man who has made a mark on Australian television with an I for detail, partnership and friendships that have seen him work at Channel seven, Channel nine and Channel ten, famously stopping along the way as Head of Programming and then as Chief Programming Officer at Channel ten. He has danced between networks and production studios for as long as I've been alive. David Mott has taken risks, played it safe, mixed it up, and he never talks too long without acknowledging the people who work around him. He has been responsible for commissioning some of the biggest Australian content and continues to make programs on Free to wear that you want to watch. So let's get started with some exclusive content on how these shows get made.
Speaker 2: I think in a business that we're in, you certainly have your moments.
Speaker 1: It's time to go. Sarah Marie.
Speaker 2: What was interesting about that was we actually didn't put it to air.
Speaker 1: I share a flat with Alex Scan. We're pretty much opposites.
Speaker 2: I would like to see the Australian broadcasters take a few more risks.
Speaker 3: Last night on Mastership Australia.
Speaker 2: Mastership was clearly one that we were very nervous about.
Speaker 1: If I've paid money to see that performance, I would be asking for that money.
Speaker 2: But if you've got a platform of content that's working really well, you can afford to kind of take a few risks.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the podcast, Welcome to TV reload mate, this is quite something.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Well, can I embarrass you just a little bit? I know that you'll probably hate this, but I've been swimming in some of the greatest minds of television for the last month, and so many people in the industry have mentioned you, But then they've paused to say, what a lovely man said in such a specific way. How have you managed to cultivate such a positive repute in an industry that, in all intensive purposes is quite cutthroat.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they don't know me very well. First of all, thank you, that's a very nice comment. And I think in a business that we're in, you certainly have your moments in your days, Ben, There's no question about that. Probably come from great parents, great upbringing, who the hell knows, but here we are and it's been a fascinating journey for me and love to tell some stories.
Speaker 1: Well, look, you commissioned the first Big Brother Australian idol, also the first Master Chef and the project. What do you look for in good television content?
Speaker 2: You know, when I look back finally at some of the shows that we commissioned, we took some risks back in those days, and I think, if anything, if there's any sort of legacy to leave behind, there's sort of that notion of, you know what, you've really got to take some risk. Nowadays in life they're always considered risks, but if you really want to sort of change the way that people think about content or really take some sort of bold steps, but to do that, you've got to have good people around you, and that's what it is. But I think for me in the days of I mean, Big Brother was extraordinary in its day, that turn Channel ten around, But you know, it's an interesting cycle in terms of where television was and how you know, these formats come back into play again as Big Brother did, and now we're seeing a third iteration of it. So it just goes to show that those brands that have longevity to them, they will be around for many years to come because they've got something in the dna of what they are. And sure, other shows come and go, so you try and find that content that really puts people into a great immersive position where it's not another renovation show, it's not another cooking show. And hey, I replaced Big Brother with Master Chefs, so I know about cooking shows. I think something in there. There was Yasin's getting Married, which you know, talk about it, talk about, talk about it, talking about it's actually become the vernacular. I think in terms of doing a Gasmin Yasmin's getting Married. Could it be that lasted for a big four days on television, But you know, that was all part of it. It was all part of taking risks and going, you know what, you've got to have an each way bet on these things. Arguably Yasmin was where the Bachelor is today or shows of that nature, So maybe it's sort of ahead of its time in terms of that sort of dating genre. And that's the way I always like to look at it anyway, try to put a positive sort of spin on it. But you know, then you sort of look back with days of Australian I on the innocence of that. I mean that show with Guy and obviously we're working with Guy on The Voice now, which my production company's producing. It's really funny catching up with Guy and thinking back to those very very early days of Australia and here we are ten years later, and look at us even now we've just put in with Channel seven, we've moved the so we've got Jess Melboy again. It was very much a part of Australian idol. So there's the beautiful things that come out of it as a result, but it was also the innocence of what idol present as well. No one knew what we really had. There'd been pop stars and we just felt that maybe there was something in Australian idol. So there's nothing better than seeing a show come from what was a really good idea to kind of going seeing it being realized and then seeing it and then see it perform. And yeah, you get the highs and lows, but they're the ones that you have great memories of.
Speaker 1: Is there a show that you fought really hard to get made and that you still to this day feel genuinely proud of.
Speaker 2: Had many children that I loved throughout the time. I think Marster's shift was clearly one that we were very nervous about. And it wasn't just me, it was from the CEO down Grant Blackly at the time as well, who's now at SCA. We just felt something special about food in the way that was going to present and we had Jamie Oliver, we did some series with him, We Didift, a local version, and so we knew there was interest in food and it was a big call to kind of replace Big Brother with it. It was quite a shift from there, But yeah, I suppose that would have to be arguably the one that was something that not only did it capture the hearts and imaginations of everyone and Shine Back then did a beautiful job and they still do a beautiful job in Australia's First Master. Jeff has to have that kind of genius that sometimes fails and sometimes succeeds amazing letter. But here's another format that's ten years on and it's lived through many iterations. We've had Junior, you've had Celebrity and the All Stars. Yeah, and the core premise of what that show represents it's still here ten years later, so I think there's something quite special on that. Even thank God you're here and Rode back in the day and the biggest those that did a fantastic job for the network. We tried to position ourselves at the time of sort of playing in a different place where seven and nine wouldn't play, I suppose, and with that comes as risk. Even Offspring was fantastic sleect Life of Us, some sort of bold dramas that the others wouldn't play in. I'll be perfectly honest with you, I don't think I could go back to the broadcast business now because I don't know if I'd be any good at it, because it's shifted so much from back in those days when you happily had five chattels to deal with, there were no streaming services and what have you. So I do go. My god, I have nothing but respect for those that are working in that side of it now. I'm very happy to be going in there going hey, by my show.
Speaker 1: How did you feel in regard to the response of I'm a celebrity. It's rated so well. Did you think that this show was going to work being filmed here in Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we found that we were coming off a very strong base. Aguly, the show could have been done from Australia from day one, but it's that fish out of water, that cultural clash that I think it was probably a little bit easier once you've established what the brand is to go, hey, now we're in Australia. It seemed like an easy shift from South Africa to Australia. Well, it wasn't. From a business point of view, it was quite challenging, but there was nothing but support from ten in wanting to and also I think the viewer has got it. Clearly you can't go overseas, so clearly it has to be in Australia. So I think that gave us the license to do that and we're very happy with the result. And I think Channel ten have been great supporters of the show right from the start and got even when I was at Channel ten, we were very close to commissioning it never did though. It was a risky proposition. It's not a cheap show to produce, so therefore it's not a cheap show for Channel ten to license. So it's a big commitment from them, And probably in its early days it was up against MKR. And when Beverly and I had a conversation around the brand, particularly when she lost the sport, and she said, look, I've been thinking about Celebrity being playing it in January, and I said, I think that's a brilliant move. No one was really expecting it to go. My god, why can't you put a big show, an investing content in January? And oh, the official rating season don't start in February. Well, you know what, And there's a term that I use in space. No one can hear you scream. If you don't have decent content on, no one's going to be able to see your schedule, your primos and all those sort of things. And quite frankly, it was a brilliant strategic move. Obviously going to say that now it's worked, but it was. And so here we are sort of six seasons on and we're now talking about season seven.
Speaker 1: What do you think about these shows being rebooted overlooking for new concepts.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, it says the strength of those brands with the reboot, it says just how great they as we're talking about before the fact that Big Brothers back again, and I mean they're kind of evergreen shows that will be around for years to come. And you know, I think Celebrity is going to be around for a long time now. It will have a moment and then it will come back. The voice will have a moment and then you know, it'll come back. So you've got those brands that just have something quite special about them and so unique. You know, I can understand the broadcasters sort of going, you know what, it's improven brand, we know how it works. It's time for a reboot, or it's time to sort of bring it back because there's always an audience with it because the basic bones and principle of the show can still work today in today's environment, even though you've got s good players and what have you, and I think certainly a place that the freeedomares need to play them from a free to air point of view. You know, we could talk about scripted and those areas a bit more challenged from a free to air point of view, but certainly big entertainment shows, we certainly are not moving away from strip reality anytime soon you can see that whether you like it or not, it's what the audience are wanting. So it's all about finding what that new world could be that you can mine and you can kind of create, and it might be a little show that we have at ITV to go my god, could you actually build that out to be a multi four night week series. So we're always looking for the what that looks like and then mash it in and then kind of build something out of it. I mean, you know when we did Biggest Loser, that was only a ninety minute show on NBC on Tuesday nights, and we're running the US version and that kind of workdayk do it? Could that become five hours a week? And you know how much weight can people lose? Well a fair bit. So even now you're talking to the UK and how we as broadcast as promote shows compared to the UK, and I said, look, you've got to talk about shows just for the Australian market and they go, oh, yeah, we know Australia. I said, no, I don't think you do know the Australian market. I don't know the strip sensibility and what are married at first sight? Looks like and what a Lego Master's or a voice is stripped, and you know Survivor is stripped and everything's about this strip mentality. So what I did by Head of Development MICHAEH. Houston and I we went to a conference pre COVID of course, and we sat down, we showed them some of the pro boats and you know, in the year car to be if if you really don't mind, would you mind watching our show Sunday night at seven o'clock. Jolly good, thank you very much, it'd be nice.
Speaker 4: Whereas whereas literally in Australia, it's this piece of Lego will change your life, good global phenomena.
Speaker 2: Sorry to an incredible Newhi Lego Masters and after the break the biggest show ever is about to happen, and they kind of got it and went, oh my god, I want to watch that now. And that's the way we produce shows is very different to a lot of other territories, so to get their mindset around, oh okay, we get it now. But you know, but having said that too, there's definitely room for other content. And I do look at shows that we're producing the Cube at the moment, and we've secured Andy Lee, which is absolutely the right show for him, and I'm so pleased that he has agreed to do it because he brings something very unique to the format and I know that he was a fan of the show, and of course I've known him for years when we did the Caravan a Courage and had them on segments a row, and so I was looking for the right project for him and he just loves it. So we've just finished filming. At the moment, the format is great in its own right. People are playing these sort of parlor games, if you will, within the confines of a four x fourmut of cube, but under the pressure of the cube, under pressure of a lot of prize money. But then it's a great format in its own right, and so we secured the format for Australia. But then adding Andy's elements to it and what he brings to it is really quite something special. The games might look simple, but with the whole of Australia watching and a quarter a million dollars in the line, it's not that simple, is it. That launches on ten? But now that's not a strip that's going to be a weekly standalone show. I'm not quite sure We're ten of running it yet, I've got a bit of an idea, but I don't think it's locked in yet. So that's kind of got to stand above everything else. And that's what I love about it because you know what it does, because it's a very different show to anything else.
Speaker 1: I think it already has good buzz like I think that's what you need as well. You need the groundswell of that sort of surfacing. What sort of notes do you hand over about casting? Do you have a brief that you come in and say, look, this is what I kind of want at the groundset?
Speaker 2: I think always feel that you know the way. I'll leaders lead with the team and we work with the broadcasters. Obviously from a casting point of view, we've got a great cast of the blinds for the voice that we're recording soon. In terms of artists, you don't really know what's going to happen after that, but you'll depending on the coaches certainly. The casting on celebrity is a very detailed process that we go through with the broadcaster, and it's just all done in conjunction. You know, what are we missing? What do we need again? Alex Is at nine or ten. We'll always sort of look at and he's very good from that point of view and understanding what he thinks the show needs. So there's a lot of work that goes into that casting process. So I think we're all hands in knowing that by and large, you need a it's going to engage an audience. You need a cast that's going to put their bags down, make a shitloader noise and maybe not last a distance. And then you need those ones that are going to sort of be the ones that will start to shine and come through a week or so later. Introverts, extroverts. You really need an element of that with all your casting. But yeah, it's a process. You work very closy from production to broadcast.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. You know, after working in such integral roles right across the country with all of the Freeedoware networks at some point or another, you know some of them for seventeen years. What do you think nine, seven, and ten are doing right moving into twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: I would say that there's certainly when you look at the schedules, they're very competitive schedules now in terms of what their offerings are.
Speaker 2: I think seven have made a shift away from I think that was the right but that had to be the right move to make, and that was a tough call for for James and Angus and backers to make because they had some of their own content MKR and they are always doing a job for them. But you could clearly see that again that needed the pause, that needed the break, and I think there were too reliant on shows coming out of their own back out. I think they wanted to be a very strong publisher broadcaster and what I mean by that is they wanted to create, own, distribute, do the whole lot. Now, that's fantastic if you can achieve that, but I've got to tell you, having been on this side of the business, it ain't easy. And I think seven of them learned and you look at the success of what they've now done by going, you know what, we just need the best shows in the market. So whether it's an ITV show, whether it's an Animal Shine Show, Banajay, Freemantle, Warner Brothers, we just want the best shows. And so I think with that they've taken some risks. Now they've taken some risks that are more risky than others, but they've taken and risks, but they've just gone out to the market to say we are open for business. And I remember talking to James Warburton because we work together at ten of course, and James said, we're open for business modey. We just want the best shows in the market. And it's a tough game when you've got to resource up your business and maybe that's not the best game for you to be in lead that to others, you know. And I do feel that there's now proofs there that that's the right objective, particularly when you've got some great IP. I mean, we will spend in development, probably sometimes up to two years. I'm going back and forward on a show. Is it right to go to market? Is it timely now? So we have these development meetings with our team, and then we work with the UK, So we're in with the UK with the US TV, and we're going back and forward on content and trends. And broadcasters don't have that much time. They got massive, big they got share, they've got sales clients, they got a whole world of different things that they need to focus on where we can take a lot of that pain away from them. And I think James certainly learnt that straight away to go, Yeah, you guys have done all that and you've got proof of concept. I would like to see the Australian broadcasters take a few more risks at some point. We've got to sort of step up and go, right, we're going to take on a format that is a paper format, but it's up to us to put the rigor and the focus and the due diligence around to go this is worth taking a risk on. And I feel that there's not as much of that, I mean, but shows can still be a risk. I mean, Marsa's Cheff was sort of a late afternoon show in the UK, so to put that in prime time was risky and particularly in terms of how we built it out, but it was still a format that existed. So I do feel sometimes we're a bit risk averse. You know. That probably comes with the pressure of the business as well, because you know, I took some risk of my last year at ten and some went well and some didn't. You know, you've got to juggle those around and kind of that's the tricky part of the business, I suppose. But I do feel there's opportunities to take some of those risks if you've got a platform of content that's working really well, you can afford to kind of take a few risks or some other shows and see where they go, and even start small. Go you know what, I really think, whatdy? This show could be a big twenty part series eventually, but let's start small and do six or eight episodes or something like that. And that way, you know you're not taking on a massive, big risk. You're giving a go. It's not necessary a format that exists, it's it's from a great, brilliant idea that you go, yeah, we could we take the risk of doing that show. So I do feel sometimes that's hard, but I also get the fact that the business is tough as well.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. You know, one of the biggest risks I guess was back at Channel ten when you did bring Big Brother to Australia. I'm assuming that was sort of hard to get across the line at the time. But looking at some of those headlines of where Big Brother went, can you unpack the Turkey slab for us, because you know, a lot was happening in the control room that night and I've heard that you watched it sort of as it unfolded. How was that moment for you and what did that mean for television?
Speaker 2: It was clearly unfortunate. What was interesting about that was we actually didn't put it to air, so it sort of ran on the sort of premium service streaming that never actually went to air. But obviously the horse had bolted, as I say, and away it went. And it was sort of one of those moments that he went, Oh my god, what does this actually mean? And Tim Kluchus, who was the EP for me at the time, called me up. I was actually literally jumping on a plane to go on a mid year break with the family for a week in Fiji, and the doors were about to close, and he said, I've got something to tell you, and I said, I've just got one question before the door closes. What the hell's a turkey flat? And because I had I had no idea, But you know, we shouldn't laugh about it, but it was. It was clearly very serious at the time, and I think it was probably one of those moments that was possibly a turning point for the series. It was frustrating because other networks grabbed onto it, so you had current affair, you had a think today tonight it was running and I think for memory that was sort of they was sort of showing the footage or elements of the footage, and we didn't even show the footage, but it was a channel to that was very hard. Normally, normally in television, when a lot of things happened, they happen and they can be a benefit. That clearly was a bit. It was wrong on every level, and we acted appropriately with those that were subjected to it, those that were involved in the incident, and we acted in an appropriate way. It's just not something that we could ever support, and we were quite shocked.
Speaker 3: The incident didn't make it to television screens, nor will it. The controversy has prompted calls for the show to be axed, but Network ten and the program's producers so they remain committed to the series.
Speaker 2: You know, from there on in it sort of became harder with Big Brother, I think because of that moment and then the way we went from there. But yeah, there are moments that you feel quite sad and also empowerless really because it happened and you can't take back what happened. But we did certainly shut it down as best we can. But then there are question marks about streaming service, you know, the streaming, the content going forward and what have you. But yeah, it was. It was extremely unfortunate and.
Speaker 1: In some ways, you know, the brand was sort of refixed. I mean, Alex Mavererdicks, you know, fixed the tarnish brand and brought it back for a family friendly Channel nine version. And now we're seeing it on Channel seven in such a really different incarnation of that program. Do you think that they should have called it Big brother Coming Back? Considering that it had become so different to its original essence, we.
Speaker 2: Call it another name. Yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of people were saying, you know, it's Survivor in a warehouse.
Speaker 2: If you had to call it Survivor in a warehouse and it wouldn't arrat it, probably, I mean there's something really the brand, no matter what it what it evolved into being, you know, Big Brothers Back.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a great version of the show. Yeah, had it evolved? Yeah, has it evolved? And yeah, I mean it wasn't live. It didn't have the live eliminations as such in all of those moments, but it was still a well produced show.
Speaker 1: Well, it definitely works. I mean, it's Survivor and people love Survivor. I mean, Survivor is an amazing show, and I think it's a tried and tested format.
Speaker 2: All shows need to evolve. They were of a time in a moment. This is what I was saying earlier, that the basic bones of what that show is still a damn good format. So you know that there are elements of which you protect and I say, you know what, you can kind of shift it over here, because it's not necessary to do that way anymore. So it would have been a more cost effective model, arguably, clearly, but it doesn't mean that it wasn't less engaging. You absolutely would always call it Big Brother because that's that's the heritage of it, and that was the affection of it. But you can always tweak and evolve and pivot in certain directions with any format, but you wouldn't certainly change the name.
Speaker 1: Why do you think digital is now so important? You know, if you're looking in the landscape of programming nowadays, you know, look at Love Island for an example. People are looking for content in different ways. So yeah, why do you think that digital is so important.
Speaker 2: Fundamental now to the success of any broadcaster. I mean, at the moment you're seeing some extraordinary numbers on VVOD. I mean we're seeing some numbers through on a celebrity and they're the live streaming is now up some one hundred and twenty percent or whatever it is year on year. Arguably probably a small base, but it's just growing. It's now all about how you can still find content that provides you oblity to get those big numbers on free to air but then can also have a major play in VIVO and building that business. I'm not on the broadcast side anymore, but arguably the conversations that you know I've had with the broadcast is that that's just of equal value. Now. The revenue is not there yet, but through vos and with those ten down what they're developing up, you're going to see how they all about to monetize that side of the business. Really well, what we've done at ITV in the UK is actually changed the very business model or the model of how ITV operates, and it's very much sort of an on demand lead that is multifaceted, so it's not just free to air. First it could be on demand lead, the free to wear portal, and then a hub portal and then whatever it is. So it's the way we create content now that doesn't necessarily just have a free to wear lens through it, and that might be from a scripted point of view or even from a nonscripted point of view. It's the term that Kevinligo in the in the UK, who is the director of content at ITV, it's that I've got to know what's underneath the floorboards. So you leave that moment where you go, what's under the floorboards. I've got to find out because in the streaming world that's what's expected now with the way they produce content in ten seconds, in eight seconds and seven seconds, you're about to see the next episode. I muzzle hang around and what's the next episode? To see what's under the floorboards?
Speaker 1: Yes, people are obsessed with that.
Speaker 2: So there's a there's a conversation now around the way you produce the content that doesn't necessarily just speak to self contained. I'm talking about scripted now self contained one hour a week, you've got to waken wait another week to see that episode. That's not the shape anymore. Even ITV in the UK they will strip series across three or four days like strip dramas, and that's quite unique and they're having some great success. I mean, I don't know about you, but I'd be enormously frustrated when you know Billions comes up on stand, I've got to wait a week to see the next episode. I want to watch it now. And so for the broadcast is now it's about okay, we've got to protect the free to wear business. We've got to build the beaver business because look, I've got kids, and I've got a grandchild. And my kids now are in there from their mid thirties down to mid twenties plus a grandchild. It's hard to get them to go what are you watching on free to wear nowadays? So they will thankfully, thankfully, they like I'm a Celebrity, and I like mad as Hell and a few shows that Dad makes, but not always it's hard to find their way through or they'll catch it up later. So that it's then a shift of how do you correct content that fits in that model as well? So it's a combination of both. So and when we talk to the broadcasts at the moment, they absolutely look at the BVOD play will this have a BVOD number? Will it connect with those younger audiences. There's a great show that we've just launched in the UK called the Cabins, which is another dating format. It came from the Netherlands called Let Love Rule. In the UK it's called the Cabins. So it launched an ITV too. It's the highest numbers in b VOD since Love Island. Now, the linear numbers were okay, you know, good, but where they saw the numbers was like the b VOD point of view and they're going, oh, this is fantastic because it's targeted. You can watch two or three episodes fits that demographic, younger audience. So there's definitely shows that have to and always will be purely free to airplay. But there is those that, in an ideal world, will be shows that can cut across ball and I think that's kind of the golden If you can find content that does that, then you've got a much better chance of getting a commission.
Speaker 1: Two quick questions about Love Island because I'm obsessed with the show. I really like it. I've been in from the ground floor of that, but has so few monks said yes to doing it? Are we going to see so few monks hosting that show again?
Speaker 2: You know? The broadcast at nine will make that nine will want to make that announcement. I don't. As much as I love you, Ben, I don't plan on making that announcement here fair enough, whatever form that looks like.
Speaker 1: Have you found maybe the villa? As to where these you know, should I say Lovers or Islanders are going to be on the Gold Coast? I mean you've announced that it's going to be on the Gold Coast here in Australia. Have you found a location?
Speaker 2: I'm not quite sure whether they're your words about the Gold Coast. I can say that it will be Queensland. I certainly can't confirm them to die the Gold Coast look truthfully, as we haven't found the billa yet. So we've got Wrecky's and we've got great support out of screen Queensland as well, so we've been working with them. They were very keen to have Love Island. There one thing about Love Island. The Australian version has performed exceptionally well in the UK exceptionally well, and so our version was in excess of a million viewers on ITV too. So to actually go to screen Queensland, it's a tourism friend to say we can showcase how beautiful Queensland is to the world because our version is shown in some thirty or forty countries, so there's a lot of benefits for it to being in Queensland. That's another big project that needs to get his head around.
Speaker 1: My last question for you is what is your go to story when entertaining friends. I'm sure you've had some fabulous dinner parties. When you look back over your career, is there any particular story that is your go to to make people laugh over dinner conversation?
Speaker 2: Okay, or maybe there's a master's chef story. So literally, it was when we decided that Big Brother had run its cause and so we needed a new format. Wasn't much around in terms of strip shows, strip formats five days a week. We looked at a lot of things we already had Biggest Loser, and I remember going into seeing the CEO of Grant Blackley, who was such a great supporter. He said, yeah, you know what, let's do this. So we then s out of the negotiations with Mark and Carl at Shine on the format, which sort of made summer headway. But you know, like anything, it takes time. It takes time. It takes time, and literally I was only days away from doing the upfronts where you showcase all your big new shows for the year. We'd canceled Big Brother. I didn't have Master's chef and we're literally only days away, and I'm going, oh my god, and I remember Carl and I and Carl won't mind me telling this story, we literally hung up the phone not agreeing to do the show. We weren't going to get there. And it wasn't a creative compensation. It was about the deal, the terms and all that sort of stuff. And I respect them enormously, don't get me wrong, But it was just one of those conversations I have and I h the phone, I went, holy shit, I've got two days I'm doing these upfronts. And then I was running late. I was going to Kyle's wedding, Kyle Sandalan's wedding because he's on Australia at the time, and so I sort of got my wife and we ran off. Well I could think about, with Jesus, what the hell am I going to replace Big Brother with? And I haven't got marstership and what have you? And then I think Mark and I and Carl they had another conversation, so literally then it was like the day before when we had the deal done, and then I could go to the upfronts and say, okay, well, big brother you've loved here's a new show called Marstership. And then what what made it worse was that literally we ran this little sizzle from the UK show because we hadn't we didn't have the Australian show to show them. And I did the big song and dance and now it's going to be great and it's going to be big and all that sort of suff come along for the ride, all these major media buyers. So I did the big song and dance, act, the ship and glitter as I call it, did the ship and glitter, and then literally then there was a pause. And then normally they kind of applause or clap or do something, there was literally nothing. There was silence and you could hear crickets in the room and I went, oh, well that's gone well. And no one, no one felt that it was a good self, no one felt that it was going to work. And media buyers and we couldn't get a sponsor on the show. We eventually got Coals. Cole's weren't there, and so it was like, what have I done. I've made the biggest blunder of my career potentially, And so there was you know, building up to it and then going great, I've got this show. Now I'm going to sell it into all these media buys. We're going to spend one hundreds of millions of dollars on Channel ten, and I go and sell it in and then nothing. So it was one of those moments in television. And then you know, I can tell the story now because it then became a great success. So yeah, it was. It was one of those moments where you start to reconsider life in general.
Speaker 1: Well you think about it, that show is still going and it is back to win was a massive success for twenty twenty for Channel ten. So that little gamble that happens, which I think you've sort of had that theme throughout our chat. You know, sometimes you need to take a gamble because some of those gambles well and truly pay off and have longevity.
Speaker 2: And you've got to have the backing of those around you as well, you know, and you've got to have the great people to produce it. So it's no easy I've often said sometimes the easy part is saying is actually it's not. But then you've got to actually realize it and bring it to life. And you know you've got a tight sphincter for a long time. Shall we say, can I say that? Is that allowed? Or is that not allowed?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always it's always allowed. Can I just say anything on this podcast? The first one I did, Alex kept swearing, and then I was like, in the edit do you know looking at the swearing thing? I got to bleep all this out, Thanks Alex, and everyone said leave it in there. They're like, the podcast medium is that we get to talk with authentic language. So, to cut a long story short, the sphincters staying.
Speaker 2: As all sphincters should, Yeah, well we need them.
Speaker 1: Without them, we'd be in a lot of trouble.
Speaker 2: Trouble. I love it. Anyway, Let's let's just stop it there.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to finish the podcast with that.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being able to be so generous with your time and have this chat. There's just there was so much for me to unpack. It'll be one of those episodes where I listened to it a couple.
Speaker 2: Of times a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.