Speaker 1: Hey, this is Christian O'Connell and this is a very different kind of conversation for me to share, but one I am so excited to be sharing with you. It's with David White. Now he might not be a household name, but over the last couple of months you might have heard him on Tim Ferris's podcast, also on the music Producer's Brilliant podcast, Rick Ruben, You've had people like Liz Gilbert raving about his work. David White had a really big and still dance big impact in my life as a speaker, as a dad, and how I understand myself and what it is to be alive. I came across his work when I first moved here seven years ago to Australia, and man, I really needed it. He's a poet, but I think he's more of a philosopher, and I can't think of anybody else that I've heard speak about what it is to be us and make sense of our joy, our heartache, our pain, our passion, our purpose in a way that you just get. He just has a way with words. He's quite incredible, and so that two years ago, when I was turning fifty, I wanted only do one thing. He does these walking tours all over the world, and so I went to Western Island all the way from Melbourne, a twenty three and a half hour flight, and I went back to Western Ireland, which is where my ancestors are from going back many hundreds of years, and I did a walking tour with thirty five other strangers from all over the world, mainly crazy Americans, and had an amazing, a really genuinely incredible week and actually got to know David and spent a bit of time walking with him, talking with him, and drinking Irish whiskey and guinness every evening in the pub with him as well. So I was very excited when he was here in Australia. And you can find out more about going and see him at his website. But yeah, I hope you really enjoy this conversation. We go into quite a few interesting areas my conversation with the Great David White, got anything good?
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: David, A great joy to be with you again. The last time we were together in Ireland, when I was there with thirty five other strangers and light minded souls all over the world in Western Ireland. But actually i'd love you to know how I first came across your work. Seven years ago. I just moved to Australia and it was a lot. It was a lot to set up a new life. My wife and I had no idea what it would be like to set up a new life. We didn't know anyone here in Australia. So my wife said, why don't you go on a retreat. I've never been on a retreat in my life. And I suddenly went on this retreat and I was the only man. There were thirteen women and there many of them were getting over breakups and people like me a man, or processing issues with their dad. So I was representing men. So there's a lot of energy there. And the woman facilitating this, this amazing woman. She said, look, before we get into the work this week, I'm going to open with the poem. And I have to be honest. Before that moment, I hadn't really felt the benefit of poetry. I thought, really it was the domain of academics. And I was like, oh God, here we go a poem. And then suddenly she played a recording of the voice I know as yours, and it was the first couple of lines in this high place. It is as simple as this, and I'd never received poetry like that, and I had a physical reaction. You got to the last line of the poem about the true shape of your own face, and I don't know what happened. I found myself shaking and sobbing. And this was right at the start of the retreat, and I was trying as hard as I could not to have this physical reaction to a poem. The rest of the ladies were looking round at me, like, what's happening here? And that was it. I became obsessed with finding out who you were. And since then it's it's opened my it's opened my heart actually to the wonder of poetry. But really I always come back to your work, which has deeply been a great companion of friendship, I think with me over the last couple of.
Speaker 2: Years, David Bravas. And that's why we write them, of course. I mean, there are ways of overhearing yourself say things you didn't know. You knew when you're first writing poetry. If it's good poetry, it's surprising you're in new territory. It's a bit like those those arguments you have domestic arguments, I mean good domestic arguments where you suddenly find yourself articulating something in your marriage or your relationship that you hadn't until you were on your emotional edge. And once you've once you've said it, you're in new territory and you can't go back. That parm you you recited is called Tillico Lake, and I actually it comes from an experience I had on my own edge when I was up high in the Himalayas eighteen thousand foot pass and I was coming down with mountain sickness. I was starting to hallucinate, and I just with the weather and everything, everything had just been too hard. And I had this powerful, powerful invitational experience to leave the trail and go off of the ridges towards this great snow lake as it was called, or Tillico Lake. And I had to use all my wool power to stay on the trail actually, or I would have died actually up on those ridges. But it was a very powerful feeling. It was some kind of longing. And the whole poem is in this high place. Well afterwards we got down finally, when we got down lower and the mountain sickness disappeared. With the being able to breathe more air. We all fell sleep in this pesture that was full of piles of yakdang. Actually I remember sleeping between the piles of yakdan and when I was sleeping, I had this dream of arriving at the side of Tillico Lake. So it's a very short onm you mentioned the first and last line in this high place, it is as simple as this, Leave everything you know behind, step toward the cold surface, say the old prayer of rough love, and open both arms. Those who come with empty hands will stare into the lake, astonished. There in the cold light, reflecting pure snow, the true shape, the true shape of your own face. The sense I had in the dream of suddenly seeing I knew me. Actually that was emerging. And the interesting thing is the way we mature as human beings is from the inside out.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We have all these outside experiences, but they're affecting us at a very very deep core. And I often think there's a part of us which has always gone ahead of us, as matured at a much higher rate than our outer surface self, that is caught up in all the little imprisonments and besiegements of our of the way we've put together our life, and quite often, you know, getting below the horizon of what you think, you know, you suddenly come across this part of you that's actually matured way ahead of your present life. And one of the reasons we won't look in there is we know that when we do that, our present peripheral life will fall apart actually or be undone, and we don't know whether it will be put together in the same way or not. And so it's one of the reasons we're rightly afraid of going in there, rightly afraid of writing, you know, the lines that will speak from that place, and in some ways rightly afraid of hearing it. You know, it's one of the reasons where we intuitively know that good poetry represents something insiders, that is, as a kind of moveability beyond our are often rigid surface lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, it touches. There's some opening. It opens up parts of us I guess that have been thought or I don't know, you've lost contact with. And it's funny how I've often thought about the energy of some of your work, and obviously what you're shaping and connecting to in you as the poem emerges, and then how we receive it, because you're talking about what was going on for you and what that poem represents the energy inside it. And for me it was you know, I'd literally had just move the other side of the world and I had to leave everything behind, everything that I had left behind in the UK, my mum, dad, a job, friends, everything at our family home, and it was refinding some new version of myself here in Australia. And I hadn't really thought about it actually until you're talking about what was happening for you when that emerged. How does your relationship with your your palms change over the years as you do, Does it remain the same what that means to you now? For example, No.
Speaker 2: I mean a good palm. If it is good, it's a living thing. You know, it's not about something. It is the thing itself, So it has its own life and so it matures also. And you hear it from other people's mouths, just as I heard that that little palm from your mouth. It opens up new levels and new understandings. You know, I have hundreds of palms memorized, and that's how I work on stage and are online, and I'll often work with a palm for years and years, and then suddenly a new level will open up just because it coincides or has a kind of symmetry with something that's occurring in my emotional maturation or in my inner life, or in some form of vulnerability. I'm feeling at that threshold in my existence. So the poems and other palms are companions. They're like friends. You think you know them and then they always surprise you.
Speaker 1: At one time a good friend yeahs, like a good friend does, yes, I think you know where you are with them, and then all of a sudden they surprise you, will challenge you in some way, and they're revealed something maybe you didn't know about yourself. Well you didn't want you didn't want to admit about yourself. There was a one poem last year my mother in law died suddenly and my wife was obviously heartbroken. She said, would you do the eulogy? And I've never done a eulogy, And it's a deep honor to do somebody's eulogy in try and bring their life and their essence into words. And I found it very hard actually actually putting eulogy together and thinking, how do I best do this and talk about the amazing life of my mother in law? And what I did is I interviewed all the family and got their stories about this marvelous woman, and then, using the words that kept coming up, I put it together them to the EUUGI, using everyone's words about her. But about two nights beforehand, I couldn't end this eulogy, and so before I went to bed, I sort of intuited. This sounds crazy, but I think you and I what I said to my mother in law, I'm really struggling about how to end your eulogy. I need your help. Please, could you just give me some clue. I'm missing somebody's voice. It's yours. I don't know how to end this with your voice. You're not here and we didn't know you were going to go that. I don't know how to end your own eulogy. During the night, I was visited in a dream by her. She did, and she was saying, do you remember when you came back from Ireland? And he'd been on David's walking tour, and I was full of your poems and I was talking about the people I'd met and quoting lines of yours, and she said, you told me about this pom you wrote about your mom when you lost your mom. Here you were very very close to the farewell letter. And I woke up in the morning, very early, actually getting goosebumpser telling you this. I woke up on in my I don't remember. I know so many of your poems, I don't remember the farewell letter. And I went on to Google and I found it and I literally I started crying because I knew this is what you want to say. Oh I did, so I ended the eulogy with the farewell letter, and I don't think afterwards people going where did you get that power from? It just destroyed me in the right way. And it's such a I think it's an amazing, amazing testimony to love and letting somebody go. And it feels like a hymn and a conversation. The farewell letter.
Speaker 2: David, Yes, yeah, I wrote that after my mother, my Irish mother had passed, and you know, being the firstborn son of an Irish mother, you have this you feel blessed by reality and by garden, by everything, and so when she went, I felt this incredible absence and vacancy. And what was really disturbing was I had this sense that my mother was was actually concerned with other things now and not with her son or her daughters. She was not a mother anymore. Actually she was she was on to greater things, and it was it was quite remarkable. And I had this series of experiences of having dreams where I would I would be just about to find out what my mother was up to and where she was, and then I would wake up and had I had the dream that appears in the poem actually where she was sat on her old bench by her roses. She had these beautiful red roses as Dublin Bay roses is the name of the variety. I have them now at my house where I live, in memory of her. But she was sat there, you know, all of her later years. And in the dream, I was suddenly sat there and I had a letter from her. And in the dream, as you do in a dream, I knew that when I opened this envelope, I would find out everything about where she was and what she was up to. And I was so happy in the dream. But of course I came to open the envelope in the in the dream, and that was the moment I woke up, and I was so appalled, and I tried to get back to sleep. I tried to put my head back in the same place, close my eyes. It was no good. And I said, you know, you already know what your mother would say to you, and just go now to just go now to the kitchen table and write the letter that your mother wrote you in that envelope. So I didn't. That's the farewell letter? Shall I read it?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I would love that if it's okay for you. I don't want to bring up some sad times in your life.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it was a wonderful time. So a volume called Everything Is Waiting for You Farewell Letter. One thing to know was that my mother lost her own mother when she was thirteen, and that was the end of my mother's childhood really, and the family was split apart by the bad old church in Ireland, and my mother had to flee with her sister at fifteen years old to England to get out of their clutches. And so my mother's mother appears in this too farewell letter. She wrote me a letter after her death, and I remember a kind of happy light falling on the envelope as I sat by the rose tree on her old bench at the back door, so surprised by its arrival, wondering what she would say, looking up before I could open it, and laughing to myself in silent expectation. Dear son, dear son, it is time for me to leave you. I am afraid that the words you are used to hearing are no longer mine to give. They're gone and mingled back in the world, where it's no longer in my power to be their first original author nor their last loving bearer. You can hear motherly words of affection now only from your own mouth, and only when you speak them to those who stand motherless before you. You can hear motherly words of affection now only from your own mouth, and only when you speak to them, and only when you speak them to those who stand motherless before you. As for me, I must forsake adulthood and be bound gladly to a new childhood. You must understand this apprenticeship demands of me an elemental innocence from everything I ever held in my hands. I know your generous soul is well able to let me go. You can only have your mother say something about you like that in a pot. I know your generous soul is well able to let me go. I know your generous soul is well able to let me go. You will, in the end be happy to know my God was true. And I find myself, after loving you all for so long in the wide, infinite mercy of being mothered myself. Ps. All of your intuitions were true.
Speaker 1: I am once more moved to tears here in that. It's a beautiful, beautiful. There's a generosity in it, hearing you read it. There's a generosity in actually letting someone go, which is actually a very hard invitation in in grief because as a part of you it doesn't want it to have happened. You want to see the person again, and she resists that for so long. And there's a generosity in that, David, where you know you allow your mom to be mothered again.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, yes, And we have all heard of the dynamic or experience it ourselves at the bedsides of the dying, where when you're holding onto them so tightly, they actually find it hard to go. And it's often when people leave the room for a moment. I mean, nurses talk about this again. And it's often when the family leaves the room to get a cup of tea or coffee that they'll take the opportunity to slip away. And we do. We hold people as they're dying because we're afraid of their death more often, quite often more afraid of their death than they are themselves. Actually so interested at the end. Yeah, and then we hold them afterwards too, in a way in which we're not allowing them to be free. We're not allowing them to go off and have not only their own life, but their own death in a way. And so, but that's all part of the grieving process. I always say there's only one cure for grief, and that's grief itself. You know, it's feeling it to its very very bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very painful truth, isn't it. And you actually only get to really understand it when you are grieving, and there is You're right, there's no I think one of the greatest pains in our life and being human is is unexpressed and unfelt grief.
Speaker 2: What's strange about it is that it's a kind of intimacy. It's it's in your grief you're actually feeling the hole that they left in your life and in others' life, so you're actually you're actually feeling what their gift was simply by it not being there. The Great Dominique and mystic of the European Dominique. In Mystic of the thirteenth century, Master Eckert was once that was once asked what God was, and he said, God is pure absence. What you need to be in an advanced day to understand that. Yes, really, he's really saying that we experience almost everything through distance or the inverse calibration of how close we are. You know, quite often in a relationship, we won't measure how we're doing by how intimate we are. We'll say, oh, we're not too far apart today, we're not doing too badly. And so human beings often often find their way through what is absent in their life, and part of the task of poetry is to articulate that absence in your own life, so that so that you can start moving along that excess of invitation that the absence is causing. And we call it longing, and we think of longing as mooning about, but actually longing is this kind of gravitational poll which is inviting you to move along it to the horizon where you will understand why you were invited in the first place.
Speaker 1: And do you think that gravitational poll that you speak of is that the journey inwards to discover and find more of our true self?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think we're all born with a certain kind of felt absence, and it's germane to the way each of us holds the conversation of life in such an incredibly unique way. It's incredible to think that every human being is the representation of a conversation which has never quite occurred in the whole history of time and will never again occur. And that's why in all of our theologies on this earth, an individual life is seen as unique and sacred because of that. You may share commonalities with other people, but those commonalities are caught in you, and caught in me, and caught in the listeners to this show now in a way which has never quite never quite been constituted or constellated before. And so each of us is this unique threshold of experience. And it's interesting to think that each of us is given a relationship with what is missing in our life in a unique way too. Everyone feels longing in a slightly different way with a different coloration, and everyone's longing is quite unique and you can never name it because part of the journey is actually finding out for yourself. You know, when you're when our children leave the door at a teen years old or twenty years old, whatever it is, Yeah, you suddenly realize you actually never knew who they really were, and how could you because that's what they're out in the world trying to find out themselves. So how could you know the essence of who they are? They're out there and this astonishing pilgrimage trying to find it out for themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is me right now. My r eighteen year old daughter leaves in a couple of days. Time she leaves home, she'd be the last daughter to leave home. And yeah, you're right, she's going out in the world to find out what she's about, who she is. And at fifty one, I think there's still some part of me that's still doing that as well. Yeah. They are a mystery, aren't you, aren't they? Yeah, it's a very big time. We're a big crossroads at the moment, David, my wife and I we've got this big we know that there's a big event happening Sunday, and it's almost the fear of it, you know. I remember listening to one of your talks the last couple of years and you're talking about BeO Wolf and it's the mother of the fear that you should fear. And I think that's what it is. It's that longing and it's what being a dad has given me in the last twenty years. And you're it's fearing the absence again of what would I do without that?
Speaker 2: And the invitation is, you know we feel from the surface of our lives, is to turn away from that vulnerability. But there's a lovely there's a lovely line by Albert Camue, the great French writer and philosopher, and it's a wonderful invitation. He says, lived to the point of tears, lived to the point of tears. And that's not an invitation to modeling sentimentality. That's an invitation to feeling everything and to the depth that you feel it and speaking it into the world. And of course that'll be your challenge for that, that desperdida, that goodbye you have on Sunday is for you to articulate that folly probably to everyone, but also especially to your daughter in a way that's freeing.
Speaker 1: For her.
Speaker 2: So uh yeah, left to the point of tears, you've got You've got a wonderful opportunity coming right up.
Speaker 1: You'll laugh about the tears. So I've got this. I've got this mysterious eye infection that just happened or we literally woke up one morning the other day with it, and my eighteen year old daughter Lois, who's off this Sunday, she saw it and she goes, I know what that is? And I went, do you the doctor, doesn't? She goes, I think it's the weight of all the tears you're going to cry this Sunday. And I leave. I was like, maybe there's something in that. Maybe she was trying to make me laugh and cry and roasting me say that.
Speaker 2: I always say that our children live with as spies and saboteurs for years, watching our every psychological move, and then and then they've got the psychological stiletto in one day.
Speaker 1: She's done it in my eye, you know, exactly? Very Shakespearean, yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah is that? And yeah, there's lots of young and interpretations to that. Not wanting to see that's looking out and one eye. I don't want to all of those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're right, the inclination is to turn away. So I've been thinking, well, I must be very strong in front of her. You know, it will upset her seeing me upset, because the fear is I don't want to be upset. It's about the loss of control and thinking that I need to hang on to some kind of image of what a dad should be, especially my Irish heritage of some stoic and you know, stiff upper lip and all that rubbish.
Speaker 2: But actually, you know, you know, the power of the of a father's love in a daughter's life is there even now I'm breaking down, is there even after she's left the house. So the articulation of your love for your daughter, the articulation of your love for your for your daughter, will carry with her into the world because when her daughter has a strong father behind her, she can go you know, lots of places with confidence and without you actually being there physically, but you that that articulation is very powerful and will be a companion to her as she goes off.
Speaker 1: Thank you for saying that. And actually I saw the beautiful relationship you have with your daughter in Ireland two years ago. You know, she she was singing, She hung out with us, she came to the pub with us. You know, she was great company. But I was really I was really impressed. What a beautiful, loving, respectful relationship you both have together, David.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do. And she's said she's got my mother's Irish singing voice to her.
Speaker 1: My god, God, what a voice. She flowed everyone I know.
Speaker 2: And she's also got the relationship to silence and presents. I always remember when she was just five years old and we had a Christmas gathering and everyone people were taking turns to sing in the Irish way, and I turned to her and her father shouldn't do this, you know, in public, and said, Charlotte, will you give us a song? And I almost caught myself saying, don't do that. But then she just, you just dropped her hands and bolted out this song in front of everyone. I said, oh, well, there's no there's no harm there. And she's been like that ever since. Actually so, and she's also memorizing poetry as I do. She'll be able to do what I do eventually. Actually, I think she works her way into it, how.
Speaker 1: Lovely, how beautiful. Now tell me you're in as people are listening there and to this and they're enjoying your work, and how you have the conversation you're here in Australia, so talks about the show you got Sydney this weekend and then you're in on Tuesday doing a workshop here. What can people expect?
Speaker 2: David Well, I found myself saying to an interview the other day with ABC here as when she asked, what's it like? I said, I suppose it's like a quiet rock concept. Imagine, I said, imagine that Nick Cave concept without the music, but with the lyrics and the narrative. And that's why I work. I work, you know, as I said, I have hundreds of poems memorized, so I can work extemporariously, but I'll usually have a theme. And actually in Sydney between ten and at ten am and one pm here on Saturday, I'll be working. I'll be taking people on a psychological pilgrimage through the West of Ireland, actually to many of the places that I visited myself and spent time and so it's a it's it's a kind of theological journey through the Irish, the Irish landscape, going to these remarkable places. But it's also a psychological journey, the way human beings could go through thresholds of understanding and loss and.
Speaker 1: Gain and.
Speaker 2: Maturation. So that's that'll be Sydney. I was just up in Byron depp Bay. I did two different mornings there. We had to sellout crowd. It was great, the lovely Byron Bay Theater. So intimately it's a beautiful place. And yeah, I have this Sydney theater whose name escapes me right now, but I'm sure it's they're all online. And then Wednesday afternoon, no, Tuesday afternoon in Melbourne. Yeah, we tried to do We tried to do just a big occasion in Sydney, but the poetry hooligans in Melbourne rose up as one, absolutely and heartily, so we put up up reading there and there's a good few hundred people already signed up. So it's going to be it's going to be lovely.
Speaker 1: Actually, well I'm going to be I'm going to be one of them. And tell me this. When you do there, when you are doing your your spoken word, do you there's something magical about the voice these days we live in a world where you know it's for k TV and the movies we watch incredible high definition Instagram. I think it's very visual these days. But what is still the power of the voice. Because I've seen you, I've done you walking tour in Ireland, there's something which happens with the poetry, your own poetry, when you're doing it in front of us, there's a there's something else that happens between us, someone's between the words in a way. Can you speak to about the power of our voices, which I think still has more magic over the image the visuals.
Speaker 2: Yes, the I mean the vice literally of another person literally passes into your body. And it's not just in the malleus of the ears, you know the mechanism of the ears. It actually the vibration of another person's voice passes through our bone structure and in our face, but also in our in our whole body. In a way, it's one of the reasons when a person has an aggressive or unpleasant voice, we don't want to be there. Actually we will immediately go into a defensive posture. So we all know the power of an invitational voice in when we're trying to deepen a conversation. And I always say that every real conversation is based on vulnerability. Actually, when vulnerability ends, the conversation, the real conversation ends. So the and every vulnerability is a kind of invitation. So it's really interesting to ask yourself what kind of invitation you're making to the other to the other person. So I'm trying to, you know, with a I mean, I've worked for years with the voice in the breath, the breath in the body, and the body on the ground, and that's the key to someone really listening to you. If I take my voice out of my body like this and up above my shoulders, you know, and I immediately become a lot less interesting just talking about something. As soon as I take my body down into the breath, down into the body, down into the feet, the feet on the ground, there's someone else there, and there's someone who's inviting you to listen to them. And so then you've got the responsibility of making sure that what people are listening to is actually good for them, that they'd want to actually be surprised, they'd want to be in many ways emancipated into a larger understanding of their world and themselves and that's what good poetry does, and good narrative and good storytelling. It's in all of our great it's only the last few hundred years we've got caught up in the visual in such a and the visual world is a kind of tyranny because in our evolutionary past, you had to look at fast moving things because they were often quite threatening to you. You had to look at brightly colored things because brightly colored things are usually poisonous. So when we're looking at a television screen, they're making sure that something's happening all the time. If you're ever in a pub and there's a television screen in it, it sucks all of the conversational light out of the people's eyes are constantly darting there. Why because we're made that way. We were made to survive by making sure we knew what was coming out of the corner of our vision and what was coming at speed, and what was highly colorful. So the visual environment is a kind is quite often a threat environment in good ye of course it's not. And good artful television, there's good artful television. There's good artful film, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the general place of screens in our life is really a distraction away from another deeper form of conversation in our life, of really listening and of listening in the silence. Listening in silence is totally different than just listening. So a relationship with of the vice with silence in the presence of another.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting. There's so many points there. I want to pick up on, David, because you're right, even as I as someone who's taught for a living for twenty seven years, when I go back and hear myself ten fifteen, twenty years ago, I'm speaking from a different place physically. It is much more higher up here. And you know, I was obviously then nervous, and I didn't quite know who I was then or what was in my heart. And as I have and different things have happened in life, You're right. It's embodied. Real voice is embodied. It's deeper in the body, isn't It's we all know when someone's nervous. Instinctively it is high pitched, and sure it's very high up, almost like they're just in their head, they're not in their body. With the magic of the voices and how we listen, it's a full bodied sport. It's an embodied thing, the true voice.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you can see it when someone's flung on stage against their will and they have to introduce someone. I'll say something, they go, you'll see them go up on their toes actually, and the voice will be just will be just coming from almost from the top of the head. And they really don't want to be there. They don't They want to escape, and the voice wants to escape. And it's because it's such an it's actually a compliment, because they know intuitively that the voice is an intimate way of meeting. And to begin with, when we're first on stage in front of other people, we don't know how to meet one hundred people all at once. And we also know that that one of those hundred people will be noticing any bs that we have. There's always someone out there who will see your vulnerability. So the game is up, you know, and or here your here, your your hear something you're trying to cover over. So it's so being in front of other people and speaking in other people, we're rightly afraid of it for good reason. For good reason, it's because you will not escape. Notice, you will not escape being examined, You will not escape being vulnerable, being vulnerable, and your vulnerability is being exposed. So you need a good sense of humor about yourself to go on stage, which noticed you have in spades, Christian, so.
Speaker 1: As to you David as well. The thing about voices is that people don't realize is that they kid themselves, that they can lie to themselves and other people. It happens every day. Actually, our voices are way more revealing than we give them credit for, don't you think.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's a really astonishing and quite often we'll cover over what we've heard. Actually, no, intuitively we've heard something. You know, say, you're in the presence of an untrustworthy character who's trying to convince you of something. We all know that that disconcerting difference between between the words you're hearing and what your what your stomach is telling you and and it's actually asking you to speak from that stomach, and when it's not spoken, when you're not speaking from your from literally from your gut, then there's a kind of disembodied feeling, which is that that telling disturbance that says we're in the presence of something we either need to get away from or or we need to say no to I was just going to say. When I was first on stage and working with a lot of these issues literally of life and death, I would get into places where I'd just be terrified on stage and be in front of six seven hundred people and I'm suddenly talking about death, and at that time I wouldn't have had the equanimity that I have now to talk about death. I would be disturbed by it. I feel vulnerable. I'd feel overwhelmed, particularly with a loss of people or friends that I'd lost, and my knee would start shaking. I would start getting a twitch in my face. You know, my whole body was unable to hold it. But part of the discipline and the apprenticeship to my voice was staying there and just trying to feel it more while I was on stage. It was a really fierce apprenticeship. And if I needed silence, I'd just fall silent, and everyone intuitively would know what you were doing when you were wrestling with something and you let you let that voice have a ground, you let it have space, and sometimes it just comes out in a cracked way to begin with, mouse like correct way, But if it's authentic, that's your voice at that moment, that's all you've got, and you you slowly embody the mouse until you become the lion. And that it's an incredibly humiliating in the best form of humiliation, humiliating, an instructive way to go just to start to listen to your voice. I'm just remembering. Actually, I always had an intuitive relationship with the human voice. When I was thirteen or fourteen, I started to notice that my voice was very different depending on who I was with. When I was with my mother, who I was the most comfortable with, it was very easy. It was rested in my body. When I was with friends at school, it was easy rested. If I was in the presence of the school bully, you know, then my voice would be high and squeaky. When I was in the presence of my father it would be very fragile, too, And so I started actually practicing being able to speak in all those different relationships. And I remember my father being really surprised because we're going through the normal kind of distancing that a thirteen year old needs from the father, and I, you know, so heeping away as much as I could. But then suddenly I said, I was saying to my father where are you going down? And he'd say, oh, I'm going to see your uncle Tom. I'd say, can I come along with you? It's not really surprised, but I would practice sitting in the car having keeping my voice in my body while I was talking to my father. We were both looking forward, which is the best kind of masculine conversation when you're at that age, not into each other rise. But it was it was great practice, Yeah, it was, and it really helped my literally my conversation and my relationship with my father.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting. Yeah, it says so much. You're right, there's a I'm fascinated by, you know, how people find their voice, you know, and there's so much literature out there about how you find your writing voice. And yet the one way we express ourselves in this world is through our is our speaking voice. And as much as it's about finding I actually increasingly now aware of, it's about allowing and everything you just talked about there. It was a lot of people when they say I struggle to speak freely in certain situations. You know, whether it's a parental figure, someone at work, replacing that parental figure in a relationship with their own children, it's actually about allowing and allowing themselves to almost have the permission to take up space, because actually when we speak, we're saying I matter, I am here. You know. It's amazing how actually that was an act of real maturity and courage with your dad.
Speaker 2: It was when I think, when i'd think about it, actually about that young thirteen year old lad. But I always had an intuition about my poetry, the writing portrait since I was seven years old or so, and I think it was just part of that necessary following of that absence I spoke about in the earlier part of the interview.
Speaker 1: And what do you think that was for you? David? What do you think it is now? The absence?
Speaker 2: Well, the absence was what I have now, actually what I'm able to embody now with my voice on stage, working with very very difficult dynamics that it's very hard to put language to, and reciting poetry that takes you into incredibly vulnerable places while standing in front of a thousand people. And so that's what that was. The I could not have done that at thirteen years old, but that was my intuition of what I needed to do. You did to work with the way my voice was absent from my body. Actually, particularly in fierce circumstances, you know, where you might feel threatened or you might feel overwhelmed, not knowing what to say.
Speaker 1: One thing, having listened to you and seen you live a lot and listen to your beautiful three Sundays, is you also use humor beautifully. And I was like, if you're laughing, you actually feel safe because the one thing that they do about absence. You know, when something's very serious or very terrifying, there's the absence of laughter. But actually you use it beautifully, not as an avoidance technique like so many of us do sometimes, but actually as a way. It's all part of the work you do and how you have the conversation is And I know that's an Irish thing because you know, whenever I'm in Islands, you're surrounded by comedians and storytellers and a real life of language and how it's used and played with. It's it's like a melody. As much as there's great singing an island, that the voice in conversation storytelling that it's like a melody. It's like an instrument. And one thing I've always loved is the way you use humor as well, and you've got a really enjoyable laugh. Some people laugh and I don't quite get the feeling that they're enjoying laughing. Yours is a real joyous, bellowing, full bodied laugh. And even as I think about David's laugh, it's making me smile because I've been in the presence of that laughter and it reverberates through all of our bodies. Yeah, I think humor to you is just as important as the precision you can have with the words to talk about what it is to be human.
Speaker 2: You know what humor represents. It represents the multic and textual experience of existence and the understanding that whatever context you have arranged for yourself, there's always another larger context that makes you your context absurd. And so it's you know, we're never just one person. We're all of these different people, including the vulnerable child insiders that's never grown up, and you have to bring all parts of you along and so to be able to laugh at yourself with your absurd ideas of how you should live your life at times, and the way that those ideas are exposed in public in humiliating ways, you know, in front of other people. This is you know, this is absolutely necessary. You can be as efficient as you want in your life, and and and the larger reality will will. You know, while I was just trying to get out of an Airbnb and Byron Bay, actually, I suddenly noticed this very large lizard standing in the in the living room and it's I think it's I think it's called an Eastern water dragon, and massive creature. I've never seen one before. My love, I just about leapt out of my skin. I'm trying to pet and uh so I I stopped this thing to try and get it out the door, but it went the wrong way. And so I'm having this this trace around the Airbnb of this dragon like creature I've never I don't even know if it's if it can bite or anything, but but I mean, we're we're often humiliated into the next dispensation of our life. And and you know, parenting is often a constant humiliation of your powers, you know, of your patients, of your integrity. Every parent falls down in their integrity at one time or another, and then and then having to let them go and going from this godlike figure when they're so young to being a walking embarrassment you know, as you come in the kitchen and they suck and they immediately leave. You know, you're just not wanted in that way anymore, And so you're humiliated into the next level of maturity of parenting, which is giving them some distance, giving them some space, giving them some freedom from your specific advice, no matter how good it is, and saying fairly well, So there's a lot of humor in parenting, but there can be a lot of tragedy if you don't have a sense of humor about yourself.
Speaker 1: It's so true, You're right, I remember just going. You go from almost getting standing ovations at nighttime in front of your kids and almost being a golden god, and then suddenly now with eighteen and twenty year olds and suddenly now being reduced to a consultant dad with up reduced hours and reduce powers. And like any consultant, you don't really listen to half the stuff they say that like, yeah, just give us your findings, dad, and yeah, I'll have a look at it when I get round to it. And so yeah, I'm just like some kind of assistant. Yeah, a consultant now on the sidelines really of their lives. And I'm thinking, Hang on a minute, it wasn't What do you think I was always just a consultant at the side of it. I was never really the central driving force that I'd kidded myself that I was. Yeah, it's life is a series of humiliations. You're right. If you can have a sense of humor about that, I think you can navigate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the root of that word is as humorous actually, both in humor and humiliation. Yeah, I didn't know that. What have a fancy ideas you had about yourself? Your your suddenly returned to the ground of your being, and those abstracts notions you have had about yourself as shown away. Also, there's this whole dynamic of having to let go of what seemed like sacred promises. So, for instance, the promise you make over a newborn child, whether you're a father or a mother, or a godparent, or an uncle or an auntie or just a good friend, they are always promises of complete and not of safety. Nothing's going to happen to you on my watch, and I'm going to make sure you're kept safe. And that's a really appropriate promise for the child and for the infant. But if you kept to that promise when they were fifteen years old, you'd ruin the child's life if you tried to provide ultimate protection. No, you're meant to have let go of that actually many years before they're fifteen. Actually, so it's kind of a magnified version of many of the promises we make in our life that are now out of season. And we have a lot of advice in our theological and religious literature and psychological literature about making promises. There's an almost nothing about the breaking of promises, which is just as necessary. Actually, so there's so to speak to the breaking of promises can be quite freeing for people actually to understand that there's all of us that in our lives are always grappling with a promise. We now have to break one that was previously sacred in its season and completely appropriate, is now imprisoning both myself and the person to whom I've made the promise, and articulating that I have a piece actually written called to Break a Promise, and it's a little poetic manual about how to do it. First lines are, I would love to hear that I wrote it in this amazing ruined medieval fishing cottage that's part of this monastic ruin right on the edge of Connemara. You might have gone there, actually, Kong.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're on my with you. Yeah, beautiful, I remember that.
Speaker 2: Remember that that ruin out over the river on pillars. It had three walls left, and the peaked roof the chimney, and a fireplace, and then a slot in the floor where the monks used to drop a net down to catch fish. But the fourth wall has fallen into the river. If you're ever in there by yourself and you spend some time in silence, you're you're watching the river flow away from you. It's a fast flowing.
Speaker 1: River, yes, powerful plant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're really looking at everything that's already gone. Actually, actually, when all of us when we're looking at a river, are actually looking at something that's no longer there. It's already gone. And so I was in there, and I was grappling with this relationship I had that I needed to let go of. So I wrote this piece. And you can feel the architecture of that medieval fishing cottage in the poem to break a Promise, Make a place of prayer, To break a promise, Make a place of prayer. No fuss now, no fuss, now, just lean into the white brightness and say what you needed to say all along, nothing too much, words as simple and as yours as the birds sung above your head or the water running gently beside you. Let your words join one to another, the way stone nestles on stone, the way water just leaves and ghost to the sea, the way your promise breathes and belongs with every other promise the world has ever made. Now let them go on. Let your words have their own life without you, go with the river. Let the promise go with the river. Now stand up, walk away. Have faith. That's to break a promise the less time. You are very practical, just to say have faith. And because when I did walk away, I said, you know, if the promise is still real, it will come back to me. Actually I won't be able to let go of it. But if you spent forty five minutes on a freezing cold January day and a medieval stone got it, you probably need to give the promise.
Speaker 1: Away and do your own survival.
Speaker 2: I did give the promise away, and it's incredible freedom.
Speaker 1: Actually it's a great questionation.
Speaker 2: What's the promise? I need to let go of because there will be one. What's the promise I need to let go of that's imprisoning me and the people are the person to whom I made that promise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's something like an old stori or version of ourselves, someone that you know, at the time we thought we need to be, or have to be, or should be. Yeah, and then some sort of that story is keeping you too small, and there's a larger story which is trying to trying to cool you forward, I guess in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean when I started off as a serious young man poet, you know, I grew up from long lines of rebels on my Irish and Scots and Yorkshire side. I grew up where the Luddykees used to meet. I grew up in a raving socialist part of West.
Speaker 1: At what a hot genetically that is a melting pot.
Speaker 2: I know, the Irish side, the Scots side. When I was first invited to come and speak in the corporate world, you know, I had this inner promise in me, which was to keep my integrity as a poet, not to sell out. You know, it's a pretty fierce inheritance, the poetic tradition. People have gone off to the gulags for a line of portrait, you know. And so you're standing in this very powerful, courageous tradition, and in some ways I'd made an unconscious promise to it not to never to betray it. So when I was invited into the corporate world and the organizational world to speak because people heard me and said, oh, we need you here, I said no, because because I'd made this promise, and I was asked again, I said no again. And then I was asked three times sincerely, And in the Irish tradition, if you're asked three times, you have to go so and then the scary thing was that I did not have to compromise my work. Actually, so that meant me letting go of this old idea right about the organizational world being somehow the enemy of creative and artistic endeavor. And I was able to let go of that. But it was a promise that I'd made to myself quite unconsciously, actually consciously and unconsciously, and a promise I had to undo consciously and unconsciously.
Speaker 1: Say, and yeah, actually, if there's one place where you know poetry and the language of the heart and understanding our own longing and belonging in the corporate world. It's so needed in boardrooms and in meeting rooms because often they want you to exclude or exile that essential I guess, vulnerable part of yourself, your heart and soul, leave it out in your car and in the staff car park. And actually what's really needed is to bring more of that into the workplace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I work. I have an institute for conversational leadership now, actually I work with others, a great team of people that I founded quite a few years ago, and I look at seven the seven elements for deepening any conversation. You know, when you're you could talk about conversational leadership, which is the best kind of leadership, but you could talk about invitational leadership. Just as I said earlier, there's no conversation with that real invitation. And actually, when you're in that position of responsibility in leadership, people are unconsciously or consciously looking to see what invitation you're going to make to them. And there used to being existentially disappointed in finding out that actually there's no invitation. It's true, yes, to go away so they can get their work done. So a real invitation is really quite powerful It's also disturbing because as a leader, you invite, you invite someone for a specific gift or task, and they always have more to bring the new ask of them, and so you always have to make room for the greater consequences of what you've invited into your life. So that's a process, and it's a difficult and vulnerable process to stay in those conversations. And you know, the word corporation is a telling word. It just means a body, a body of people. So corporation is simply a group of people that have come together to do something that that's impossible for an individual to do alone. And wherever two or three are gathered together, there will be drama. My Irish niece went went off to university to study drama. Before she went, she said to me, she knew I worked in the corporate Well, she didn't know how it worked for a poet to be in the corporate world, but she said, I don't suppose the major corporations of the world will be knocking on my door when I have a degree in drama. And I said to her, Marlene, I said, a degree in drama is what would most prepare you for corporations?
Speaker 1: It's a world of amateur dramatics I found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we think it's so buttoned down, but it's all drama. Every organization trama. Oh my god, no.
Speaker 1: And you're right, as a you're right. So many of the leaders I've worked with, it's they make themselves very alone. Actually I've done this in running my teams the radio shows of the year. I've made myself too alone with it. You think that the job is about showing that you have all the answers. And actually the real turning pointment for me was when I moved here to a different country and I realized I needed a different way to leading people who didn't know who I was. I didn't have the same accent, and I didn't have the shame shared history. And it was brilliant. It was a radical letting go of everything that Actually I thought that was like, you know, my arrows, but they weren't. They're actually creating distance between me and the people that I needed to work in a deeper way with. And it was about more vulnerability I've found. And actually, yeah, I didn't realize that I wasn't being very invitational. Yeah, I was frightened of being of them. Seeing that I was scared or I didn't know what to do next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you needed help. One of the is things that comes out of vulnerability is asking for help.
Speaker 1: It's so hard. I found it so hard, David. Why is that I found it so hard to be a burden to somebody I thought was a sign of weakness.
Speaker 2: Yes. I spent a whole year actually working with what I call visible and invisible help. And I gave myself the task of every day of the year asking someone for help, some visible kind of practical help. So it might be someone to come over and help me with the electrics in the house, you know, and or fixing a tap, or or something to do with my computer, or advice or about about an intellectual dynamic I was working with. And there were two things I found. One was how much incredible buoyancy I got in my life. So many things got done it was just yes. And the second thing was how much people loved to be asked, especially if you said you are really good at this, I'm not very good at it at all, would you come and show me how to do it? And people are incredibly complimented. Yeah. Then the other kind of help that we have to ask for is what I call invisible help. Well, we've called it invisible help since the beginning of time, and you know, one version of it we inture in the sense of there being other realms. You know, in religion it's the angelic realms or whatever, or the invisible helping us. But you can think about it in a very very practical way too, Christian, in that invisible help is the help that you do not as yet.
Speaker 1: Know you need. Beautiful, Yes, unless.
Speaker 2: You're on your absolute scintillating edge paying attention to the world, you'll walk right past it, even though it's exactly what you need. We can all think of moments in our earlier in our lives where someone offered us help, either psychological or practical, and we put our hand down and said I could do it myself. When the going gets tough to death get I don't need help, and we walk past it. And then seven years later we look back and said, oh my god, if I'd have just accepted that help, I could have saved myself seven years of drama. So it's really interesting to ask yourself, what help is being offered to me right now that I'm walking right past that I'm refusing It just makes you look at the world and look at other people, and look at the dynamics of your existence in a completely different way. You start paying attention as if everything's speaking back to you, which it actually is, actually and actually inviting you into the next dispensation of your existence, the next territory, large and more generous territory of your life.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful because yeah, even now I'm thinking, oh, that's a much better way rather than seeing sometimes life as a having an adversary relationship with it, or what's it doing to me? Now? What's it demanding of me? Now? It becomes more of a collaborate, more of a companion or soul mate, and you can co create that way with it by having more of an open heart.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe I could finish with the poem on that theme.
Speaker 1: There'll be one.
Speaker 2: It's it's called Everything is Waiting for You. Your great mistake is to act the drama as if you were alone. Your great mistake is to act the drama as if you were alone, as if life were a progressive and cunning crime with no witness to the tiny, hidden transgressions. To feel abandoned is to deny the intimacy of your surroundings. To feel abandoned is to deny the intimacy of your surroundings. Surely, even you, at times have felt the grand array, the swelling presence, and the chorus crowding out your solo voice. You must note the way the soap dish enables you, or the window latch grants you courage. Alertness is the hidden discipline of familiarity. Alertness is the hidden discipline of familiarity. The stairs are your mentor of things to come. The doors have always been there to frighten you and invite you. And the tiny speaker in the phone is your dream leader to divinity. Put down the weight of your loneeness and ease into the conversation. Put down the weight of your loneeness, and ease into the conversation. The kettle is singing even as it pours you a drink. The cooking pots have left their arrogant aloofness and seen the good in you. At last, all the birds and creatures of the world are unutterably themselves. Everything, everything, everything is waiting for you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh, what a lovely, beautiful way to bring it all together.
Speaker 2: It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you, David Loss of Love. Thank you for your time and your words. I Know
Speaker 2: A Christian O'Connell Show podcast