Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to the AO Show. I'm Mattrolo from oz open dot com and we're bringing you a new stream of the podcast called The sit Down, which will be released at the start of each week. For every episode, I'll be joined by Viv Christy from Australian tennis magazine.
Speaker 2: Hey Viv, Hey Matt, it's so much fun to be here with you.
Speaker 1: Tell our listeners more about what they can expect from the sit Down.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a bit like a change of ends in a professional tennis match. It's a chance for us to sit down with players, coaches and other tennis identities and just get their take on the game.
Speaker 1: I love the sound of that. I love a deep dive conversation where you get a little bit more into the weeds of what people think and what makes them ticks. So that sounds great. And who's our first guest today, Viv on the Sitdown?
Speaker 2: Well, we start with the look back from Yanick Sinner, who sat down with Nick mccarvill, a very good friend of the pod during the History and Open.
Speaker 1: And what a great guest to start off the first episode of the Sitdown. Given Yanick Sinner's start to season twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's absolutely the man of the moment, isn't he.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to hear from him.
Speaker 3: Janick Center, thanks you for your time as always. You've now been in Australia for a few years. But adding Darren Cahill to your team does that help you know how to navigate the Australian and Australian people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first of all, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: It's obviously you know, working with with Darren and also with Simone. I think the combination is really nice. And obviously he knows here in Australia are really well where to go and and and how to handle a little bit of the situation. And I think he's, you know, the person who gives us confidence and also calmness in the team, and so we we always say to him he is our our dead for all of us know. And Simon is more for the technical and tactical side. And I think, as I said, a combination is working really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Darren comes in as the.
Speaker 4: Wise father exactly. It's it's important, he's important to be honest.
Speaker 5: And when I chose him, I felt immediately a good connection because also human wise, he's he's so nice and he has a beautiful family and we all understand.
Speaker 4: Us really well. Which is the most important.
Speaker 3: What are the one or two things he's told you. I mean, you've spent now a few years in Australia, but coming here and seeing it maybe through his eyes, is it different.
Speaker 4: It is a little bit different, for sure.
Speaker 5: When I played in Adelaide last year, you know, he showed us a little bit how how everything works there and that's us hometown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, it's it's his hometown.
Speaker 5: So we went for and the thirty first of December, we went to it in a in a restaurant with him. So you know, I also get to know his his taste, what he likes and what he doesn't like, and usually he likes the unhealthy stuff with It's okay, it's really yeah, it's but it's he's in he's in good shape, he's looking right, and it's it's all going in the right way.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Off season, obviously players take some time away.
Speaker 4: You get to have a little bit of a break.
Speaker 3: But you went skiing, which I think surprised a lot of people because fans at home, I think many of them will know that you're a champion skier. As a junior, you chose tennis, but a lot of tennis players wouldn't take that risk because not only are you skiing, but you're a really dang good skier.
Speaker 4: So I used to be good, but they're still pretty good. Let's say that.
Speaker 5: I feel I feel still safe on the on the skis, on the slopes. It's just more to be very careful with other skiers. You know, I watch around a lot. You know, if somebody is cutting you a little bit, you know, you never know, but it's I always say it's it's you also have to enjoy no I am I'm I'm in a tennis court basically every day. But when you get a little bit of time off, it's it's nice to do something different. I love to go cart I love to play a little bit of golf, even if I'm really bad in golf, but it's good for your mind. You don't think about tennis and skiing. For me, it is always a positive emotion. It's something different. You know, you can feel the wind, you can feel a little bit the cold weather and being in the nature.
Speaker 4: I love to so it's it's nice to go sometimes to ski.
Speaker 3: Does it feel like freeing too for yourself as a person to be up on the mountain.
Speaker 4: And yeah for me.
Speaker 5: For me, when I'm in the mountain, I just take or I just need a couple of days to refuel myself, no, to relax. But also you know, when I get back on tennis court, I feel ready Again.
Speaker 4: The problem means.
Speaker 5: When you go with friends to ski, because then you know, you you start to think like you you were thinking when you were ten years old, so things can go a little bit crazy. But in the other way, now I am, I have to say, I have quite good self control of myself, so it's it's it's fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've seen obviously your talent on the tennis court, but there's also been the fashion piece of it, right the deals of court. It feels like maybe that's something that you've enjoyed exploring. And I don't know if you would you have a like fashion inspiration.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so let's say in the in the beginning was really strange for me. But when I started to work with Gucci, I'm very curious man, and I also sometimes you know, would like to know what's what's the story behind, and so you get to know and also to learn new things, which which is sometimes really nice, and then how they choose the colors and everything. It's it's it's nice to be to be also just part of it, you know, to see a different point of view, you know sometimes or most of the time, I see only you know, the tennis court and and and the tennis fans, which which is also nice. But you know, when you start to make a couple of shootings, it's it's fun to see also different side and then you say this I don't like and then this it's it's it's better, but you know, it's it's also part of a little bit taste now, so it's it's fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My very last question, the Corota boys. They're here, they've completed their career Grand Slam. Yes, there's really been nothing like it in tennis. This group of fans dressed in orange supporting you. Does it give you that special energy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is. It is a special feeling.
Speaker 5: No, you have this fang club which is basically coming now to do a lot of tournaments, and they give you a good feeling. You know, they are you know, kind of family in one way. They are getting more more and more famous than I am slowly, so it's I am really happy for them, and but it's good also for them, you know, to go a little bit out of the country seeing senior things. You know, they're here in Melbourne, they can they can explor as to the city, maybe more than I do because I my main goal is still, you know, to play tennis and trying to win as many matches as possible.
Speaker 4: But in other way, you know, it's it's nice.
Speaker 5: That they are here. It's it gives a good feeling. So yeah, let's see where they are coming next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Well, we appreciate your time and thank great.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So Matt.
Speaker 2: The thing that struck me most about that interview is that Yannick has achieved such a great balance, firstly with his coaching team of Daran Klee and Semonia of Nazi, and also in his life generally.
Speaker 1: And also confidence. I think partnering with a big luxurious brand like Gucci, there's a bit of swagger there and you know, it's like high end and he looks great and he's doing fashion shoots. And there's the fact that he had the confidence to go on a skiing trip in the off season. A lot of players would avoid doing that. Because skiing is inherently risky and you can get injured. But it's good for him. He wants to ski. He said, he feels good on the slopes and you know he comes out in January, he wins his So it was the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: It sounds to me like skiing puts him in a really great state of mind. Actually, I mean, he sounds almost poetic when he talks about it. He says, you can feel the wind, you can feel the weather. He loves the nature. So yeah, I think he arrived at the Australian Open perfectly.
Speaker 1: Placed, also in a great headspace. You can see that into play he has with the team. They've got a great dynamic. When Kale and Vanyotzi were doing that press conference during the Australian Open, there were photos of Sinner hoobbing up in the side of the press conference and I think did he ask a question or he became visible or something happened, And it was just a really humorous little moment between the team that's seemed quite spontaneous.
Speaker 2: So Matt, we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down, and John and the team will be back on Thursday with another episode of the Aoshow weekly.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, you can check out more great news and feature content at ozopen dot com and by subscribing to Australian Tennis Magazine. And if you want to get in touch with us, you can via oz open dot com, slash listen or by emailing the Aoshow at tennis dot com dot.
Speaker 2: You and yes, please take a moment to subscribe to never miss an episod, and please leave a rating or review so more fans can discover the AO Show.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm