Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast Last Deep That Light. Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Alex, the fourteenth eliminated contestant from Master Chef Australia, which is on Network ten from Sunday through to Wednesday nights at seven point thirty. Dubbed the Sunshine in Human Form, Alex shone her light in the Master Chef Kitchen in twenty twenty four. One of the clear fan favorites if you read anything online, has sadly got the chop and I am a little bit shook. Despite earning a double degree in science, human biology and design fine Arts, it is food that's become the founding stone of Alex's career, working in fine food sales and specializing in gourmet products, cheese and small goods. Her daily exposure to the food scene has further fueled the fire inside of her, and Alex knows that cooking is no longer just a hobby. I have to admit I have absolutely loved catching up with Alex. I haven't laughed as hard as this in a while, and to be fair full disclosure, I had to edit out most of my laughing as I sounded ridiculous like foghorn, leghorn. Alex will unpack everything from cute chefs, green hands, and why she believes that when it's not your season, it's simply not your season. We will also unpack the Master Chef kitchen in terms of telling judges to back off, quietening down the gantry, and if swearing actually happens in the kitchen in real time. I will ask you about sports bet and if you can bet on yourself, and Alex will reveal while she hated those betting ods. We will also discuss if they needed a passport to get onto the show clearly with Hong Kong coming up, and what songs became their anthems during filming. There's actually so much to unpack with Alex, so sit back and relax as she unpacks the wonderful world of Master Chef Australia.
Speaker 2: Ben, How I am.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well? I want to know right away do you still have green fingers?
Speaker 3: Can confirm I do not have green fingers, but it took me so long to get that way.
Speaker 1: Like you'd be scrubbing your hands for days, going to scrub this off my hands. I need to get rid of it.
Speaker 3: You know, I literally used every last drop of shampoo and body wash and even the hotel bar so to get rid of that.
Speaker 2: Literally, I was scrubbing away Shrek fingers. Alex.
Speaker 1: You know, we all do this, and we all watch our favorite shows, and we think and we believe that the people that we see on TV are our friends. And you are someone I think Australia would just love to have a slumber party with.
Speaker 2: Hopefully that's PG.
Speaker 1: No, oh my god, that is that is home.
Speaker 2: I'm held down for a slumber.
Speaker 1: Like you bring the wine and the food and your gorgeous personality and off some matching pajamas.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: With a I'm so down for so long as we could watch like Mean Girls or Hot Chick or like.
Speaker 2: Some silly rom com you know, chick Flick. I'm there, let's do it.
Speaker 1: I once did this so embarrassing. I was asked to present it a charity and then they had like a singer, like a famous singer, and it was someone from the Voice and so you know, I had a few drinks with them, and then I was like, you know, you should come back to my place. My partner would love to meet you. And you know, it was kind of like facilitating this fantasy of you know that the people on TV are your friends. And I made this person watch episodes of the Voice.
Speaker 2: And I never heard from the memory again. Yeah, was that traumatic for them?
Speaker 1: They did not understand what I was doing. It was so uncomfortable for them. And they never ever spoke to me ever again. So I realized how awkward that that whole scenario is. I kind of wanted my own DVD audio commentary on the show.
Speaker 2: Look, there's one rule.
Speaker 3: If we do get together for a sum but we are absolutely not watching Mastership, and especially not the last episode that I was eliminated on because I refuse to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I think that that's fair enough. Now, Hugh Allen reminds me of how talented man syndrome can make someone so attractive, sort of brings another element to him. What did you learn from being in that final cook and having such close contact with him?
Speaker 2: What did I learn?
Speaker 3: To be honest, I don't think my brain was actually functioning that whole cook. I felt like everything that kind of went in one ear came out the other and everything I was doing was in such a flurry, almost can't recall most of it.
Speaker 2: What did I learn?
Speaker 3: Assistance is key, like just keeping on until the job is done and don't become two stars struck by cute boys in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting because that Banksier pod dish, as Sophia said, was mind blowing. But also that's my ultimate fear about being on a show like this is coming across a dish like that. I wonder whether that becomes super duper intimidating. Was that dish?
Speaker 3: It was so intimidating I actually had a little cry because there was no way in my right mind that I thought I could ever make something like that.
Speaker 2: So the fact that I got it all on a plate, although it didn't look the.
Speaker 3: Part or taste the part whatever, so be it. It was all up there, every element, as best as I could have done in the circumstances. So yeah, very intimidating, super intimidating, but I gave it my best shot.
Speaker 1: I mean, is that even something that we can make at home? Like, do you think that's something that the everyday Australian could see that and follow a recipe? Like that at home or do you need to be at the level that you guys are.
Speaker 3: Look To be honest, you probably could, and only because you don't have the pressure of that damn master chef clock above your head and people screaming at you, you know, judges coming over to interview you whilst you're like on page bloody twenty of this eighty page long or what felt like eighty page long recipe. I feel like you probably could do it, whether I recommend that, No, I probably wouldn't because it would take you the whole day.
Speaker 1: I reckon when the judges come over. This is like, yeah, I don't know whether this is something more about me, But do you ever just go not now?
Speaker 2: Yea, all the time, literally all the time.
Speaker 3: But I'm just so polite, and I just I say it as if it comes across as a joke when I'm very well meant it.
Speaker 2: It's like literally shoefly like, bye, I don't have time for this right now.
Speaker 3: I don't think you realize, but I'm actually under an immense amount of stress and pressure to get this up on a plate so that you.
Speaker 2: Can eat this. But if you keep festering me, it's not gonna happen, and.
Speaker 1: How much of what they're saying up on the gantry, you know, the safe contestants, because they're often yelling things out, can you actually hear? Because I feel like I would either be distracted by them or I'd probably tune them out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so funny. So on the Hugh Allen episode My Last Cook, I think I remember a point in time that because in the first part of that cook, I was so flustered, like I wasn't getting anything done, and I was organizing my bench of all things, trying to keep clean, and.
Speaker 2: I remember Dash and that just being like, stop trying to tel just get onto it. You're so har behind.
Speaker 3: And I think they just kept saying push, push, push, And I remember turning up to them for a hot minute and being like, guys.
Speaker 2: Can you just leave me alone for a sec? I need a focus and I can't.
Speaker 3: Like I was in I just felt like I was pulled in every direction. So yeah, you definitely can tune them out, but it's almost impossible sometimes and sometimes and very politely, you just have to ask them to just give you some space so you can focus and retrain your thoughts because there's a lot going on in that kitchen.
Speaker 1: I wonder how many times in the history of Mastershef have they cut out of the edit if you c k off, you know, like you know what I mean? Because you know, it's interesting about this show because there's so many wonderful people. They're so nice on this show that one of the most delicious things about this show is the warmth of the people that are cast on this show. Maybe yeah, not the sort of people that say that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: They know that is incorrect.
Speaker 3: And I can speak from experience because I have such a potty mouth. I would never say something that was a fence or mean, but I can definitely drop the F bomb way too much. And there I feel so sorry for the editors because they would have had not a fun time trying to cut out the amount of F words I had said.
Speaker 2: About this season, we might seem, you know, really innocent.
Speaker 3: And sweet, but we definitely have some spicy tongues sometimes.
Speaker 1: So I'm into that. Yeah, I'm into that. I want to watch Master Chef Australia after dark.
Speaker 3: That's so funny because we actually joked about that on the show.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it be cool to have an after dark uncut Raw on Raw episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I it would just completely grab a lot of attention.
Speaker 2: I reckon it would be so much fun.
Speaker 1: This is what I was thinking of talking to you about about the judges on the double faking of what the dishes actually taste like. And it also is very much heightened by the style of music that's playing. But I often watch these judges trying to you know, trying the food, and you can't ever tell what they truly think until they speak, because sometimes I look like they're about to say something's bad, and then all of a sudden, you know, out of nowhere, Poe will just be like, this is the best silkiest.
Speaker 2: Signe and You're like, what.
Speaker 3: Literally, it's like, it's so I don't even know how to put into words how anxiety triggering it is bringing out a meal to those judges and in front of everybody, and then they pull these funny faces. They kind of put their eyes to the sky as if they're thinking, and then you just really don't know where you're at, and all of a sudden you get these really marvelous feedback, or it could go the complete opposite way, and it's just like the worst thing they've ever tried in their life.
Speaker 1: Are they filming that for a long time? Like, are they pulling those faces? Because this is all I can think about is that they must make them pull, like they're like, Okay, we're going to have the camera on you tasting your food. Now give us three different versions. I mean, you must look like four neurodivergent people sitting there trying to work out what the flavors are.
Speaker 3: Maybe they just have like a secret sign language that we don't know about, and it's like, I don't know, maybe they're talking to the mastership of gods upstairs with different sign languages that we just don't understand as contestants.
Speaker 2: But honestly, it's so daunting, and we.
Speaker 3: Could be standing there for often for half an hour, just standing there waiting to receive or be told that it's great or it's not. And each of the judges, and bless them, they were wonderful, but.
Speaker 2: They each give their piece of feedback and advice, and it takes a long time.
Speaker 3: It's exhausting, and often in the moment you're not actually absorbing anything.
Speaker 2: Well I was in anyway, it would come in one ear and go out the next.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's it's scary stuff, but it's equally as fun and it's great to receive also.
Speaker 1: Feedback to My heart is beating just thinking about it, Like my heart is like believing what it would be like to be sitting there in that chair. And interestingly enough, like with last night, it felt like that Sav was going home. How did it fall in the moment? Is that the magic of editing that they did that.
Speaker 3: I think in the moment as well as Sav deeply believed that she was going home. And you know, I can totally relate because that was like flashback to the Curtis Stone keeping up with which was such a horrible moment for me because I genuinely thought that that was going to be me leaving and not so so. Yeah, I think with every different challenge, you're running your own rape. You don't know what others are doing. You're focused on everything that you were doing. So yeah, in the moment, you only know what you've done and how you feel, and yeah, you definitely convince yourself that you're going home. There's been plenty of times where I thought that for myself, and to be honest, something I felt intrinsically in that week lead up to Hugh Allen's cook was that I thought it was going to be the end of my time soon or soon approaching.
Speaker 2: So it's just weird. Yeah, you just get this instinct feeling.
Speaker 1: At what point did you think you were going home? Though, Like as in, when did it really go okay? I think it's me for this particular.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I think there was a moment when we.
Speaker 3: Had like our lunch break after the cook and I was sat there on the grass in the sun of Lockie and that and Dash, and we had the pillows out and we were just chilling in.
Speaker 2: The sun because that's what you do and you down time. And I just sat there with my thoughts for a moment, and I thought this was it. I didn't voice that, but in my gut, that's that's how I felt.
Speaker 3: And I was really actually at peace with that, to tell you the truth, Like, I've.
Speaker 2: Done some awesome stuff.
Speaker 3: I've met, you know, some of my biggest food idols, and I've made the best of friends.
Speaker 2: With literally everybody.
Speaker 3: I kid you not like it sounds so cliche, but I've formed such a connection with every single one of the contestants and the judges. So it was my time to go, and I truly believe that the universe has its ways, and when it's your season, it's your season, and when it's not, it's not.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I kind of just sat with that and that was Okay.
Speaker 1: You weren't in my bingo card for going home, let me tell you that much. Nor were you in any of my friends. We're on a group chat. We watched the episode and everyone's you know, texting away and yeah, I think we. I think the group of friends that I have, we all had you in the final three. So it was it was a big shock to see you go.
Speaker 2: But I.
Speaker 1: Think you penetrated the audience really well. I think that when people think about only twenty four Master Chef, you are one of the faces that people will remember forever.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's so special.
Speaker 1: You know, you could be an excellent cook, you can win the show. There's many different things that can you know, sort of permeate when people watch a show like this. But yeah, it's funny when you think back to some of the most iconic reality shows, people often get it wrong. People often say, oh, who was the winner of that year, and they get it wrong because it's one of the personalities that resonates that yeah, and connects that makes you think, oh, I think it was them.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm really glad you feel that about me. I feel like what you see is what you get. Like, you know, I definitely have my fair show of cringe worthy moments and some weird facial expressions, but I literally that is just me in the real world. And it's so funny having all my friends and family and colleagues reaching out being like, oh my god, you are exactly the same on the TV as you are in real life, and they just yeah, it's so cool, Like you just have to be yourself at the end of the day. And I think those who are truly themselves and sit well with themselves and understand who they are as people and accept that they do cool things, and they go really far with you know, a show like this in particular.
Speaker 2: So it's cool to hear your feedback. I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: How did you feel though watching it back? Was there anything that you learned about yourself? Because the interesting thing about reality television is it does hold a mirror up against us, and yeah, that could be quite interesting as well, because you can see what other people see and watch things that you go oh, I didn't know I did that.
Speaker 3: Look to be honest, like, as I said, what you see is what you get, and I don't know how to be anybody.
Speaker 2: Else but myself.
Speaker 3: So what I saw on the TV watching back was like I didn't. I don't feel like I really learned anything different or new about myself watching back other than what I felt at the time. And I think reflecting back on it, it's like far out, like I'm actually capable of so much if I put my mind to it, And I think that's what I learned more than anything. Definitely not from watching myself on the Telly, but definitely in going through each of these challenges, just being able to sustain momentum and drive and yeah, get through it.
Speaker 1: Who do you think is going to win though at this point, because I thought anyone's game, Like I actually, if you seen me, yeah you get a million dollars if you can pick the winner of Mastership. I am no closer to a million dollars than ever before than I've ever been.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Literally, it's so tricky because everybody is so talented and talented in their own rights as well, and so it really just depends on the challenge when it comes to it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I couldn't tell you, but.
Speaker 3: I know you're going to be like, just pick one because I've listened to all your other podcasts, and because everybody is so talented in their own rights, it's going to come down to who I really, really really want to win, and purely because they are my ride or dive from the start. So I'm going to throw Dash under the bus here, No pressure, man, Yeah, let's go Dash.
Speaker 2: He's versatile, he's a gun.
Speaker 3: He just has this ability to focus and be calm, and I think that gets a long way in a.
Speaker 2: Competition like this. You've just got to be able to focus.
Speaker 3: Saying your own lane, be calm, but also not afraid to experiment.
Speaker 2: And he's very good at all of that. So let's go team wa Dash. I'm rooting for you.
Speaker 1: Don't let me down, and don't let anyone else come fear. That's all okay, But anyone else is smell in the competition, is listening to the pod. I'm going to be asking you soon, so you will be here too, my friends. I kind of asked you this a little bit early because I wanted to ask you about something that had been sitting on my mind. You know how you can bet online. I don't know if you've been aware of this, but there's like a sports I'm probably not even promoting their business correctly because it's probably not even sports, but it's probably something else. But yeah, do you know if contestants are allowed to bet on themselves?
Speaker 2: That would just be like the biggest no no.
Speaker 3: And I feel like even without it, well, it must be in our contract. But even without it being in a contract, we would absolutely not be doing that.
Speaker 2: But it's so funny you bring this up with the.
Speaker 3: Whole season, I've been at the bottom of the rank, so I've been told it's like nobody had faith in me from the start, so of course I was never gonna win this shit.
Speaker 1: Who puts that stuff together? Like, because okay, this is I'm going I'm going to share something with you about. This is the reason why I don't look at that because I used to look at it years ago. Anywhere in twenty twenty, they were bringing Big Brother back and they had who is going to host the show? And I was at number one, and I was like, no one has called me. The only interest that anyone had in me hosting that show? I felt like there was some fantasy in the back back of my mind, and that's where I realized that whoever is creating these things, yeah, I have to drink and don't know enough about it, and they don't know what they're talking about exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm going to put it down to that too, because I reckon, I shouldn't have been at the bottom. You know, I could have, you know, been there every now and then, but the whole way through. Guys, come on, I think maybe it was just my silly fun nature and they didn't take me serious enough. But anyway, top nine, I'm bloody stoked for that. I feel like a winner, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just take it.
Speaker 1: Just take it's fine, It's fine, one hundred.
Speaker 3: Percent taking it and running with it.
Speaker 1: Well, it sort of then leads me that off the back of that into what I have also been asking people, and that is who your favorite judge has been this season. It has been a very interesting question because I've actually been tallying the board. Oh awesome, and so I can tell you at this point of the competition that Hoe is in the front of the contestant's favorite judge. However, also been asking fans online who they have as their favorite judge and that is Jean Christophe.
Speaker 2: So really, isn't that interesting?
Speaker 1: Isn't that interesting? And I feel like because of that, maybe you should say Sophia or Andy Allen just to help them out a little bit because they don't have anyone that's so funny.
Speaker 3: But that would just go against every grain in my body because I'm so truthful and honest and to be honest hoe and I've said this so many times. I've actually said it to her face too. She's my spirit animal and has been for a very long time. Like she is creative, she's down to earth, genuine, speaks her mind, lass it's not afraid to be silly, and that a person like that is somebody that I can just relate to on so many levels. And so from the very get go, she's been my favorite. Not to take away from anybody else's shine, because they're all fabulous in their own rights, they've all been wonderful, but there's just something special about her and something that I can just connect with on so many different levels.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's it's nuts. So sorry to not slice things up on your end, but you ask her the truth and there you go.
Speaker 3: I got it.
Speaker 1: I got it so interesting though, because you know, we as people, I think we are reluctant to be silly or to come across as silly. I think it's it's not everyone, but I feel like for me, that's what I like, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, I like people to make mistakes, And we've come so far in television sort of with word perfect presenters and things like that, where I'm like, I like all the presenters that sound like they're being real, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, right, it's a reality show for a reason. You've got to be truly yourself. And I think if you allow yourself to just be yourself, that speaks, you know, such big things, and I think you're able to relate to more people because of that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think I'm all about being silly, and I'm probably I'm more than certain sure that you've seen me be.
Speaker 2: A little silly on the screen, and there's.
Speaker 3: Lots you didn't see because I had my fair share of silly moments, as I touched on earlier. But yeah, I think the world would be so boring without silliness and just completely open and honesty. And I think, you know, if we accept silliness and let that be a thing on TV.
Speaker 2: Then the world would just be so much happier for it. I think it allows everybody to be.
Speaker 1: Real, right, Yeah, I think you did that, you know, And I think that that's something that they must make sure in the casting that they've got people like you in these shows because it just makes the show pop a little bit more. It helps us as an audience connect with the show better. I think you know, you can't have all silly people, but you can't have all serious people.
Speaker 2: That's a bit that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, putting in balance, and life is all about balance, isn't it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I totally agree with you.
Speaker 1: I feel like, Alex, I could talk to you forever, but I now need to ask you my last question, which is, what is something from behind the scenes, something that we as an audience don't know and if you haven't prepared something, I have a question because there's a lot of chat. There's a lot of chat about this Hong Kong situation and how surprised everyone is when they say you are going to Hong Kong, which you've just missed out on. So I'm very sorry to be bringing out this point. Yeah, but do they tell you need to be to be successful on this season? Did they ask you that you need a passport?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: But I don't want to answer that question. I want to answer the behind the scenes question.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've already given me the answer that I wanted, so now it's not we don't need to go there.
Speaker 2: You can answer the next person that question. Okay. Behind the scenes, we obviously.
Speaker 3: I mean on an the screens, we are a fabulous, very lively bunch and we are very very harmonious. So there have been so many times where we all twenty two of us from the start and up until now, and I'm sure it's going to continue, we would just break out into song and dance like it was like an absolute choir in that kitchen, and.
Speaker 2: The crew would get involved, and every time.
Speaker 3: They would take the cut as well, like you know, when we had the camera guys and somebody jumps in with the what's the snappy thing called the slate?
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, and take one, take two.
Speaker 3: Every time somebody whacked down on that slate, all the contestants and the whole kitchen with all the crew, cameraman, judges, we just all break out in massive collaps and chants, and yeah, it was so fun, so cool, and it's such a shame that the world doesn't get to see that because it's such a powerful, very spiritual, fun, happy moment that would happen literally multiple times of every day.
Speaker 1: What was the go to song? Surely there's got to be someone was a Katy Perry's Hot and Cold.
Speaker 2: And there's no it was a Backstreet Boys song? What was it? I want it that way? Tell me why you know.
Speaker 1: That's ever given me some.
Speaker 3: I tell you what though, Savvy and Juan they have got lungs from angels, so yeah they you know, they very well might be on your next idol or the boy.
Speaker 1: You can already see the package you won't believe From Master Chef, I just want to say thank you so much for your contribution to this season, for bringing so much light and so much you know, sunshine, your skill as well with your cooking, and thank you so much for being so generous and.
Speaker 2: Chatting with me today.
Speaker 1: I've had such a lovely time in your audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much. It's been a special and wonderful time.
Speaker 3: And although the end of my Mastershare Kitchen journey It's definitely the beginning of my next biggest chapter journey, So bring it on, everybody, stay tune. I'm really excited to get stuck into the real world again.
Speaker 1: Well, Alex, they bring people back on this show, so big personalities, we sometimes see them back, so put that on the board.
Speaker 2: I'm manifesting us out there in the universe to arrange amazing Alex.
Speaker 1: Look after yourself. It was so lovely to chat with you and chatting with the media today, and thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Ben, you are lovely and wonderful.
Speaker 2: It's been a great pleasure.