Speaker 1: Come on in.
Speaker 2: Oh we're on Hello Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Bear the odd today? Is it odd?
Speaker 4: Or is it really happy? Brint walked in like a bulleted gate.
Speaker 5: Okay, well I ducked to Hamilton Island on the weekend, so I'm feeling refreshed. I took my lover Ben there because I wanted to really impress him with Australia.
Speaker 2: And I mean, if you want to be impressed and go to Hamilton Island.
Speaker 5: But this morning Ben and I did our first official photo shoot.
Speaker 2: Now we did an unofficial photoshooty.
Speaker 6: Sorry, you say that as if everyone has it. When everyone when.
Speaker 7: You've just given birth and you have like the first photo shoot for your newborn baby, you've had like a first photo shoot for your relationship.
Speaker 5: That's correct, Yes, yeah, totally normal photo.
Speaker 3: So what's the photo shoot for.
Speaker 5: It's for a Stellar magazine. They wanted to do like a little thing on us.
Speaker 7: Also totally normal. That's exactly what everyone does when they have a new relationship.
Speaker 3: Normal.
Speaker 5: But seeing Ben so Ben Ben plays football. Ben is not he's not dainty and he's not a model. But he It was seeing him from the camera and in our world a little bit, and he was beautiful clothes on and he was doing all these model.
Speaker 2: Faces and he's like, babies, it's okay. And I'm like, you're doing really well.
Speaker 5: And then I saw the photo and I was like, like, damn. If I wasn't already dating you, i'd want to date you.
Speaker 7: Well, you spend your morning having a lovely photo shoot, and I spent my morning cleaning dog pool off my child, who did like a body.
Speaker 4: Slide across the backyard. She was okay, I like, I shook the mandarin tree. A mandarins fell down.
Speaker 7: She body slid across the yard and body slid straight over dog pooh.
Speaker 3: Body actually slide, yeah, slide. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You just hold them by a foot.
Speaker 3: It's awful.
Speaker 7: You throw them in the bit and have a third Wow.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, I want to tell you about a woman.
Speaker 5: We've all we have all been ghosted in our life, right or we've all been a ghoster, you know when you just go up and leave. So I've been a ghost and a ghost. I think I've probably done both too. I want to tell you about the ultimate ghosting story. There is no ghosting story I have ever heard in my ghosting days that trumps this story.
Speaker 4: Casper coming right up boo.
Speaker 6: After this on the pick up. It is the pick Up Tuesday Afternoon with Britt, Laura and Mitch. Right now, get half price off cosmetics across the Maybe Leine, Revlon Rimmel and Nude by Nature Rangers at Chemist Warehouse.
Speaker 3: BRIT's got a ghost story.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's not a real life ghost story, although I do see ghosts, but that's that's a.
Speaker 2: Story in itself.
Speaker 3: Do you know about Laura that she saw ghosts?
Speaker 4: She does.
Speaker 5: I have a story for you about the ultimate ghosting story in a relationship.
Speaker 8: Now, it's an Aussie woman who goes by the name.
Speaker 4: Is a Belle.
Speaker 2: She doesn't go by the name. Her name is Isabelle Glassenbury and she's thirty one years old.
Speaker 5: Now. Her ghosting story is one for the ages. I feel very sorry for her. She met her husband, who was a Texan. She met him back in twenty fifteen and they moved down Under in twenty eighteen. Now, if you do the mass, that's eight years they've been together.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: She got married.
Speaker 5: Her family paid for this amazing wed and fifty thousand dollars in Sydney. Her parents also helped pay for his visa, which was ten thousand dollars. Because you know, that's what you do when you're in love, and that's what you do for your family to help them have the ultimate beautiful family life. You know, they've been together like six to eight years. You want them to have the happy life. She went out to celebrate him getting his visa, his Australian visa. She came home from the dinner to a house that ninety percent of the furniture and his stuff was gone one day after the visa. Anyway, she tried logging into the immigration accounts, but she'd been locked out of everything, all accounts, Her credit card was.
Speaker 3: Maxed, was blocked by the cowboy, by.
Speaker 5: The Texan cowboy, the texting ghost, and none of her calls and messages of going through.
Speaker 2: It's actually really really sad.
Speaker 4: It's really hard.
Speaker 7: To go someone these days because everyone has social media. Or did he just delete all of his social media? He deleted his entire life.
Speaker 2: It's the ultimate ghost.
Speaker 5: In eight years, he put in the long game for that visa and then he left.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't the red flag be that he wasn't at his own visa celebration at dinner and she went home.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Look, it just says she was out celebrating his visa acquirement, but I think I think she was celebrating with her own parents, maybe because they were the ones that paid for it.
Speaker 2: So maybe, look, bitch, you're asking the technical questions.
Speaker 7: Okay, I don't think that this guy met her back in twenty fifteen and thought, you know what, in eight years time, I mean it, this is the girl who's going to get me into Australia.
Speaker 4: I reckon.
Speaker 7: They were in her relationship, he loved her, he was happy, and then eventually the wheels started falling off the wagon and they were already married, and he was like, well, look I'm just gonna wait for my visa to come through. He's so chicken that he couldn't deal with the confrontation and just walk away from the relationships.
Speaker 3: I have another theory.
Speaker 4: He was aducted by alien.
Speaker 6: He was abducted, and then the house was broken into that same night and all their stuff was taken.
Speaker 2: This is horrific.
Speaker 5: Heaps of people reported it into immigration and no one did anything about it. And you know what the icing on the cake is, Yeah, one year later to the day, he got married again.
Speaker 4: Oh, he was having an affair.
Speaker 5: He's a scam artist, or he is having an affair, or he's.
Speaker 3: Just a dick.
Speaker 6: I feel like people have ghosting stories out there, Like you go on, you catch up with a friend after a couple of years of not seeing him, and I feel like everyone's friend has a ghosting story.
Speaker 4: I've ghosted a couple of people in my time.
Speaker 7: I'm very conflict avoidant, so I would just not reply to them after a bad dates and just never text him again.
Speaker 5: It's a difference with not replying to a bumble and ghosting them and marrying them for eight years and then being like Maye and.
Speaker 6: Getting a Hurts truck filled with all your furniture and take some sunset. Five hundred dollars at chemist ware House. Let's put that up. That's the bounty. If you can tell us you're crazy ghosting story and also have you been ghosted or have you ghosted? Someone will give the best story five hundred bucks atchemist ware House.
Speaker 7: Zero judgment, because you know what happens to the best of us, a little bit of judgment. I'm going to judge your hard healthy amount. Five hundred bucks up for grabs. Go to the Pickup dot com dot A. All right, next on the show, this is a big celeb. I mean we have Jason Derulo.
Speaker 3: On this show. We've got massive stars.
Speaker 6: But next, one of Laura's favorite celebs, doctor Justin Coulson from Parental Guidance on Channel nine. If you're thinking about putting your kids on social media, parents, this is going to be a chat you're not gonna want to miss.
Speaker 3: We'll do it.
Speaker 6: Next on the Pickup, It is the pick Up right around the country. Tuesday, are Vo with Britt, Laura and Mitch head into Chemists ware House Today, great savings everyday, real interesting show back on Channel nine at the moment, Guys, Parental Guidance hosted by Ali Lingdon. It was on last night, it's back on tonight. Everyone's loving it by the Parental Guidance expert, doctor Justin Coulson is joining us.
Speaker 3: Now, you guys know this guy. He's a superstar. He's a legend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a legend in a parenting world.
Speaker 7: And I also think that because I'm the one here that has kids like this is this is my wheelhouse, this is my show.
Speaker 6: Are you kN I mean Justin's there, But you're a big fan of you're wearing a Justin Colson Shirtman.
Speaker 4: You got the cap Hi doctor Justin? How are you going?
Speaker 3: Welcome?
Speaker 1: It's so nice to be with you, guys. I didn't know the shirt was available already.
Speaker 7: That's correct, it is.
Speaker 4: We're selling it as merch after the show as well.
Speaker 7: For anyone who hasn't seen what Parental Guidance is, can you give us a little bit of an overview of what the show actually entails.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Sure.
Speaker 1: We get a whole bunch of parents who have very different parenting styles. They go through a range of different challenges with their kids, and then we watch those challenges back and pretty much say, hey, what did you like and what didn't you like? What can we learn about parenting from your parenting style?
Speaker 7: When you have these different, very different types of parenting styles, and as someone who is a psychologist, do you look at these and say some of them are vastly better than others or is it just a case that they're different?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so very much. The second one, like, there are definitely things that you can do that will mess up your kids, but we're very very careful with the parents woul dream. Under this show, they go through psychological tar and we make sure that they're good parents who are raising their kids well. But gee, they do it differently. I mean you've got out back parents who are teaching their kids to shoot guns and drive cars from the age of eight or nine, and then you've got gentle parents who don't ever raise their voices to their kids.
Speaker 6: What I loved watching was the parents that have their children on social media. So this was on the show last night if anyone missed it.
Speaker 3: Our parents and Style as influencer.
Speaker 2: As they explore parenting.
Speaker 9: Are you blocking your ears?
Speaker 7: Right here in the digital age, our rules around technology are basically non existent.
Speaker 4: I'm curious what a Wow gave your kids an account?
Speaker 5: Maybe she's up to five hundred thousand followers.
Speaker 6: Now what's your stance on this on because Laura, your kids are on social media and they have been from a young age.
Speaker 7: I mean my kids don't have social media. They're two and three. That they appear on my social media?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, where do you stand on that?
Speaker 6: Justin like kids on social media, then kids having their own social media accounts?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Laura is doing what we call share and ping, which is where we're sharing the lives of our children on social media. And this is a pre provocative and controversial thing in and of itself, because one day the kids might look back and say, Hey, I wanted privacy and now I'm an adult, I don't like the fact that my life is everywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 9: Then we've got.
Speaker 1: These parents, Jonathan and kat who frankly, I think that they represent themselves so well. And what they're saying is, whether you like it or not, social media is part of the fabric of the society in which we live. And you can try to keep your kids off it all you like, but they will be on it. So isn't it better to teach them how to use it well? And I mean, I think that they're doing a fantastic job.
Speaker 7: Do you think it affects children in terms of how they get validation? How is that going to impact kids as they get older?
Speaker 1: Okay, so two things here. First of all, I want to get technical and legal for a sec that whole thirteen years of age that only exists because in America, when social media is being developed, the lobbyists and the technology companies had lots of meetings with the politicians in Congress and decided on what we might call the a age of Internet maturity, and there were some people who were saying you need to be eighteen, some people saying fifteen. In the end, they chose thirteen. And all it means is American companies and not allowed to collect data on people under the age of thirteen. That's the only reason that rule of Instagram at thirteen is there. It's true that some of them will get caught up in how many likes they're getting, how many shares they're getting, and how many followers they've got. What I would say, though, is there are probably in most kids' lives many many more things that matter so much more in terms of their welfare and their wellbeing than how many likes they're getting, Like the quality of the relationship they have with you as parents or with their friends, the extracurricular activities they're doing, and what they're doing well in life. All that stuff, I reckon is going to have a much bigger impact on their self esteem and their wellbeing than how many followers they've gone.
Speaker 8: My worry is who's watching these If you go on to some of these kids instagrams and you look at the followers and the people that are liking this content, I mean, a lot of them are people that shouldn't be there.
Speaker 2: It's not the man, they're men from other countries. They're adults that you're like, what are you getting from this?
Speaker 8: And I guess that's.
Speaker 5: Where my worry comes into having a nine year old or below on social media.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of people who should not be in there who are, and they are approaching our kids. Once again, Jonathan Kat the influencer parents, they're really clear that when they're dealing with their younger child, their nine year old and her social media accounts, they're involved, they're monitoring, they're having conversations, and they're actively teaching how to be safe. And frankly, we've got to do it. Whether our kids want to be influencers or YouTube stars or professional gamers, or whether they're just like the average kid who has an account and wants to hang out with their friends, we've got to be involved to keep them safe. It's critically important, not in a controlling way, but in a I'm the wise adult in this relationship, and we need to talk about this.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 6: You can get the Happy Families podcast now. It's available on the iHeartRadio app. If you want to have a listen that's brilliant and of course Parental Guidance with doctor Justin Coulson tonight seven thirty on Channel nine. Thank you for coming on the Pickup, doctor Justin appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, also be with you and just on the podcast. We're doing mega recaps of every episode at the moment, so definitely worth checking it out if you get a.
Speaker 3: Chance, right, get it on.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know I'd be.
Speaker 6: Interested to open the lines on thirteen one oh six five and just get just pull the land.
Speaker 7: Well, I want to know, like, do you have your kids on social media? And if so, honey, navigate it. But like for the people who are very against it, why are you against it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's do it after this on the Pickup Tuesday afternoon. On the Pickup, it's Britt, Laura and Mitch here right now. Get half price off cosmetics across the maybe Lene Revlon Rimmel, Nude by Nature.
Speaker 3: The list goes on. It's all great Rangers, all at chemist ware House.
Speaker 7: Now, we were just talking to one of Australia's most trusted parenting experts. His name is doctor Coulson. He's on Parental Guidance the new TV show Channel nine. Oh my god, it's very brilliant. If you're a parent who's just fumbling your way through trying to figure out the right way to parent, as we all are.
Speaker 4: It is a truly brilliant show.
Speaker 7: But we got talking about social media and whether it's okay to have your kids on social media or not, because there is one family who is on the show at the moment and they have a nine year old who has their own social media account. They have like five hundred thousand followers, and they're also making money as a nine year old off the social media account. I mean, my kids, they feature on my social media from time to time. But I think that there's a really big difference between making money from your children on social media and just sharing kind of like the highlight reel.
Speaker 3: Of what's happening in your life.
Speaker 7: Because if you're a mummy blogger and that's your one and only job is to be a mummy blogger and to talk about the experience of parenting, and that's how you make all your money. I think the big issue with that type of social media is that then it makes it really hard to say no when jobs come in. So instead of being able to have a good litmus for the types of things that you share about your kids. If all your income is tied up on social media and you don't have any other ways of making an income, it makes it really challenging to say I don't want to do that job or I don't want to put my kid in that campaign, because ultimately you're saying no to money.
Speaker 2: Kids get the money. Are you putting it in an account for the kids?
Speaker 5: Like where's are going? Are the kids earning the money for the parents and the parents are just using it themselves. I think there's a whole other layer to it.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 7: Also means right that you need to share the more and more personal, the more vulnerable, the more challenging parts of parenting that you share, the bigger your community gets online because the more mums relate to it, the more they want to talk about it, and that's how you kind of grow your following. But the thing I think is really worrying about that is that if you're sharing the really vulnerable bits about your parenting experience, you're also sharing the really vulnerable bits about your kids as well, and your kids can't opt into that. And that's where I think it's a bit of a gray area where this sharenting thing can go too far.
Speaker 6: It's all well and good to say kids are on social media and then assume that kids are the only people engaging with that content, but it's not true. There are creeps on the Internet that look at content.
Speaker 4: So what about their privacy?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 6: I think social media overall for children would have an overarchingly negative effect.
Speaker 3: Oh it does.
Speaker 2: It's proven, and.
Speaker 4: It's so addictive.
Speaker 7: That's the big thing, more so than just having a data impact. It's so addictive.
Speaker 6: We've got Emma on thirteen one or six five high. Emma, you've got your kids. What does your stance on this?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 9: I am yeah. I have an eleven year old daughter, and I just feel like she doesn't need social media right now. She has the rest of her life to be on Instagram and TikTok and Facebook. So why does she need to spend you know, the years that I would probably say some of the most important years about finding out who she is as a person and developing her own identity. Why should she be spending those years comparing herself to others?
Speaker 4: Is she wanting it? Has she been trying to ask for it or pressure you for it.
Speaker 9: So far. Look, probably twelve months ago she did because she's one of the only ones in her friendship group without it. So we let her have kids Messenger because that's something we can monitor and she's not being exposed to, you know, the highlight reels on Instagram and TikTok. But after we had that conversation with her and said we don't think that she's emotionally mature enough to be exposed to some of the content, she understands and she knows that her time will come and we will let her have it one day, but it's just not right now.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: It's scarce the bejeevas out of me.
Speaker 9: Up.
Speaker 5: Sometimes I look online and I'm like, I don't think I have the emotional capacity to.
Speaker 2: Deal with it alone, bring in and keeth in and then having it. I actually genuinely it plays on my mind.
Speaker 7: I think you need to have very good boundaries as a parent with this. You have to be okay with saying no to your children, and that's something that a lot of parents struggle with, especially when you want to be friends with your kids. Having those boundaries and saying no can be really, really hard and also as an adult. As a parent, you have to be social media literate. You've got to understand what's happening on social media to be able to help educate your kids and protect them.
Speaker 2: Go live in the real world, Get outside kids.
Speaker 6: All right, let's get out of here. If you missed any of the show, head to the iHeartRadio ant. You can search the pickup and remember when cold and flu strikes, Demeson gets it done. Always follow the directions for.
Speaker 4: You, Will and what are you driving you home?
Speaker 3: Next?
Speaker 4: Everyone, boys, what's on the show?
Speaker 3: Goodday, guys, massive show.
Speaker 10: We're going to be joined by the new Sunrise host, Huge Shoes to fill filling in the Great David Kostia's shoes. Yes, it is Matt shirvingson. Plus, Will is having a mental health day today, so a very very special guest is filling in for him. And I'll tell you who that is when our show begins.
Speaker 2: Right up next sounds good guys, can't wait, see you all tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Siah