Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order, Kernie Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's On the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome to the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today is Friday, my Friends, which means it is time to sit back with the girls with a bevy in hand, to unpack our favorite moments of the week, and of course, to celebrate you how incredible She's on the Money community. As always, we're going to be sharing our favorite money wins, We're going to discuss what's making news in the finance world, and we'll be helping to answer a juicy money question, which this week, unsurprisingly is all about how to protect your data. But first it is time to recap the week that was, Miss Jess Garci. You are here with me, but I get to go first, this time with a summary of our mandate money diary. So this week we spoke to obviously a very beautiful community member, but her story was really really different. So obviously life is not without challenges. She was managing a chronic health condition, so she had endometriosis, which I think a lot of people in our community can really resonate with. And she also works as a teacher. She is a humanities and social sciences teacher, super super passionate. The one thing that we didn't really cover in that episode is that the space she works in is more with disadvantaged children. And on top of that, she was a director on a board for a non for profit NDIS service provider, which challenges the status quo for recruitment in this space. So honestly, she did so much and it was such a personal story. It was really interesting to see how she managed her financial life and how that worked when you're dealing with a chronic illness. So I feel like that was a story that a lot of us either resonate with or really sympathize with. So it was from my perspective, obviously a really good one. Onto Wednesday, though, it's just greed she what did we talk about.
Speaker 5: We're talking about protecting yo data. We've had a lot of that.
Speaker 4: Is not how I thought that you would introduce that, really trotecting your dadda.
Speaker 6: It's important.
Speaker 5: No, a lot of people have been messaging us, firstly after the Optus breach, which got everybody including me, and then with Telsha and Woolli's and all of the other breaches that seemed to be happening at the moment. I think people are really anxious around protecting their identity and what could potentially happen with that. So we spoke through some really tangible steps that you can take to protect yourself. I think in this day and age, we might have all gotten a little bit lax with saving passwords and not changing them and having the same one for ten different logins, And it's just probably a really timely reminder for all of us that our data is really important, and it's not just about like keeping your Facebook account safe. It's about people literally being able to defraud you with the information that they can get from your public profiles and things like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, really really scary stuff.
Speaker 5: But more on that a little bit later because we got to touch on it for our money dilemma.
Speaker 6: All Right, it's time for our budget direct money wins and confessions of the week. What have you got for us?
Speaker 5: My first one is from Sarah, who said money Win. A quill cover I've had in my wish list four months on the Iconic finally went on sale price of ninety nine dollars, down from two hundred and eighty and the pillowcases dropped from forty to ten. Completely unexpected and great timing. As I got my new mattress today. I feel like that's the best feeling in the world. New mattress, new sheets, like new life. I never get them all at the same time, though, Like I feel like that is the universe just aligning for her so that she can have the absolute best sleep of her life tonight. My next one comes from Alex, who says, money Win. I arrived home from overseas and ordered food from Uber Eats because I didn't have any groceries after being away for so long. Relatable delivery guy dropped off the wrong order. It's somebody else's groceries. I tried calling because I was really hungry and looking forward to having some comfort food, but it was too late. Uber Eats refunded me after I reported the wrong order, so I ended up with free groceries and a stocked fridge and my twenty five bucks back. I did have to cook my own dinner, though.
Speaker 4: Oh that's the worst. I'd be like, I don't want groceries. I ordered take out, not groceries. I had that happen recently. Actually, I ordered Ramen online and I was so excited about it because I love Ramen and this new place had popped up on Uber Eats that I hadn't seen before. And it came deconstructed, like I had to cook the noodles, and Stephen I was so salty about it. It came and he's like, oh great, I'll get dinner and I'll pop it in a bowl for us.
Speaker 6: He brought it to the kitchen and was.
Speaker 4: Like Victoria, and I was like, got the hell And he was like, what have you ordered? And it was literally like all of the vegetables had not been cooked. The noodles were in like some glad wrap wrapped up and they clearly looked like they were covered in like flower like they were fresh, they were gorgeous. After we cooked it, it was delicious, but I was not you were to arrive and then immediately tucked straight in. Yeah, like it's takeaway. It's not fake away anyway.
Speaker 5: Moving on, Oh my gosh, well I have another travel themed money when. This one from Scooter who said money Win booked a Ballei holiday through Expedia and got eighty dollars back on shot back money. When I feel like everyone's getting ready to travel right now, and if you are doing your online travel booking.
Speaker 6: You're not using shot bags. Where are you?
Speaker 5: Where are you? It's free money. It is literally free money. My next wing comes from Kirsty, who said money Win, I thought I had around six hundred dollars still owing on my car finance called up to see how much I actually had left to play and I could pay it off that day for forty three dollars, which means I am now officially debt free.
Speaker 6: Money Win. We love to see it. That's so exciting.
Speaker 5: I feel like maybe she's been making some extra repayments or something like that because her numbers were so off.
Speaker 6: But that's like the best surprise in the world.
Speaker 4: Don't question her numbers, Jessica, That's not what we do in a money win thread. Like if you say it's exciting, I am here for the excitement, not to question whether it's legitimate or not.
Speaker 5: We are excited for you. My last win for today comes from Stella, who said money win. I thought I had landed my dream job straight out of UNI, but it didn't end up being the job for me, and I was devastated. However, I landed another job almost instantly, got a sixty percent pay rise, and am now on six figures in the second year of my career. What if things aren't going well at work, try not to stress yourself out and take it as big as things are coming your way.
Speaker 6: Ps.
Speaker 5: They also feed me breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the office.
Speaker 6: Now I'm in love. What the heck? I want a new job? I quit?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They you guys never feed me. I just steal cokes and stuff from the communal fridge. That's all I've got.
Speaker 5: We live on coke and sour worms in this office. So Stella seems like she's winning it life.
Speaker 4: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Like, oh, maybe she gets uber eats. I don't know, not Raman hopefully all right, that was probably a really good place to leave it. I probably am going to go and try and apply for a job there, because there's nothing good in this office at this point in time. As always, it has been fantastic celebrating some of your budget Direct money wins. Budget Direct winner of can Stell's Insurer of the Year Award twenty twenty two. Budget Direct Insurance Solved. Let's go to a really quick break and when we come back, we are going to be answering a money dilemma and recapping what's going on.
Speaker 5: In the finance world. Don't go anywhere, all right, guys. Today it's Black Friday. I swear it was just Black Friday, like a week ago. I don't know how it's come around again so quickly. If you don't know, Black Friday is a holiday that's started.
Speaker 6: In the US.
Speaker 5: It's this huge shopping extravaganza where everything goes on sale, and it's kind of I guess filtered over to OZ through capitalism and consimerism mainly.
Speaker 6: But I thought it would be a fun chance to.
Speaker 5: Talk about an article that I read recently talking about how much we're expected to spend. According to nab ozzies were estimated to have spent a whopping eight billion during the four days of My Friday to Cyber Monday last year.
Speaker 6: Eight billion dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, eight billion, which is I can't even fathom how much money that is in my brain.
Speaker 4: And that's more than the amount of people in Australia. We have twenty five million people in Australia or twenty five point seven or something million people in Australia, and we're spending billions of dollars.
Speaker 6: It's not even Christmas or New Year's or like, what the heck they're tipping. It'll be even higher again this year, which remains to be I'm not okay with this. That gives me the ick.
Speaker 5: I think it's a really hard dichotomy because on one side of things, I've been waiting for Black Friday for a few purchases. I want to buy some air pods and I'm like waiting to see if I can get them on sale and get myself a bit of a deal. But then the flip side, if we're spending eight billion dollars, I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say a lot of people are probably also buying things that they weren't.
Speaker 6: Necessarily planning on.
Speaker 4: So your things are maybe for you or are they gifts? Like as that is that the plan? Because I feel like if you're making use of it, it makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just feel like Black Friday, I don't immediately think and this is maybe not a good thing for me. I don't immediately think, wow, I could stock up for Christmas, Like that is not where my head is at. I'm like, oh, it is my favorite shop on sale. Yeah, no, I'm naughty. It is a little bit naughty.
Speaker 5: And I think you know, the last couple of weeks, there's been a lot of marketing leading up to this. Brands are really capitalizing on it. I remember last year almost every website had twenty percent off or buy this, get this free or whatever. Everybody seems to be really leaning into it because they've cottoned onto the fact that people are cashed up and.
Speaker 6: Wanting to spend.
Speaker 5: But I mean it's a little bit tricky because yes, it's a great time to get those gifts, but it's not a great time to just be spending on things because you're like, oh, it's.
Speaker 6: On say a lot treat myself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's why I think it's really important. If that's the period that you're going through and you're a little bit like spend happy or click happy as I can be, Like, before this happens, why don't you go through your email inbox and just unsubscribe from anything tempting, Like I don't know. I've been speaking to friends about this and they're like, well, I don't want to miss out on discounts. I'm like, yeah, but you can go find a discount when you're ready to purchase something. You don't need to wait for it to slide into your DMS or into your inbox for that to happen. So I think unsubscribing from all of the retailers that email you on a daily basis is really constructive. I know I'm the worst, right, like Jesse, you know, I love a good shop and it's one of those things where sometimes I'm not even thinking about it and then I get an email and they're like new in and I'm like, oh, I'll just check that out, like I'll click out I like this brand, yeah, and then all of a sudden I found a dress I think I need and then it's all I can think about, whereas I just didn't need to see the dress, you know, like I just didn't need to.
Speaker 6: Did I need a new dress?
Speaker 2: Probably not?
Speaker 4: And then all I do is think about it, convinced myself I need it. I'll do that thing where I tell everybody else to do this, to put twenty four hours between you and your spending.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, yeah, I still want the dress. Yeah, what if I didn't see it?
Speaker 4: You just never have thought about it exactly, So nip the problem in the bud before it even happens.
Speaker 5: I reckon, Do you want a fund tidbit about why it's called Black Friday?
Speaker 6: Oh? Yeah, just like a random I do. I thought about it. No, I feel like this is going to be really morbid. It's not morbid. It's just very random.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit financi So it's said to have been coined in eighteen sixty nine when two people named Jim and Jay were Wall Street financers and they bought a huge amount of gold in the hope that its price would search. Apparently the opposite thing happened. The market crashed and became Black Friday.
Speaker 6: Oh but like what, I'm so confused?
Speaker 5: Do you know, they drove out the price of gold and the stop market crashed and it was a black Day for everybody else.
Speaker 4: Oh that's what you meant. I was like, gold is gold, not black. Jess with the Day was like it did not change color.
Speaker 6: They said it on a fire because they were so angry that.
Speaker 4: Talking about like this, you know what, that's a really disappointing reason.
Speaker 5: Well, the other thing that I read was because obviously Black Friday follows on from Thanksgiving, and so in the major cities back in the day, people you didn't have your local shopping center or your online shops, and so people would turn up to the city and like droves to do their holiday shopping. And again, huge crowds, lots of pollution. Not a great day Black Friday.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, I feel like everything in Australia is becoming quite Americanized and I'm not liking it. So, like Halloween happened recently.
Speaker 6: I love Halloween. See, you're probably.
Speaker 4: The perfect person to ask, because when we were in America, you were hunting down pumpkins like nobody's business, and I was like, what the heck, Like, I just don't understand this holiday. I don't understand the holiday, But I also don't understand why Australians are in embracing such an American holiday, Like you tell your kids every other day of the year to do not trust strangers, and what now we're going up to their houses and knocking on the doors asking for the lollies like step into my van, tiny child, Like I just don't understand the concept of it and why Australia is embracing it. Like I remember walking down the street a couple of weeks ago and every second house is decked out in Halloween stuff, and I'm like, do you even understand Halloween? Like I don't even understand where it's come from anyway. I've just got a lot to say because I don't think we should be doing it.
Speaker 5: I think Halloween comes from all Hallo's Eve, which was like a I want to say pagan I don't know if that's right, but like something way back in the day that was a little bit almost not quite religious, but you know, something like that that's obviously been like really recontextualized for again capitalism. I just like it, and I feel like maybe a lot of people are in the same boat as me.
Speaker 6: I just like a theme in the same way that I loved you.
Speaker 5: Yes, you love the chance to decorate my house or dress up in a costume or buy lots of cute, tiny pumpkins. And I know that it's not even autumn here and the pumpkins motif doesn't make sense, but I just love anything that gives me the chance to do something fun, like.
Speaker 4: Oh, and I'm all about you doing that, like I will get behind you. In fact, I think you know i'll get behind you because we went to so many American targets looking for the pumpkins of your dreams. And I was like, I still don't get why we're here, Jessica, but.
Speaker 6: I'm all in. I just don't understand it.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, this feels like a waste of money. Oh why are we buying pumpkins? It's not even full. You can't even eat them. Like I saw pumpkin carvings out the front of people's houses and I was like, is this food waste?
Speaker 6: Like I just don't get it.
Speaker 4: Does it just sit there and rot and then you throw it out? Like anyway, there's just a lot too Halloween that I don't understand. Maybe don't come for me if one day I have kids and they want to celebrate it, and I'm like, God, it's just too hard to fight them, because you know, yeah, I just feel like I don't want to be called out as a hypocrite. But today you will not see my house decorated. You will not see me celebrating it. I just don't get it. And pumpkin spice lat taste tastes like trash.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, they do give me a strawberry, a sire refresher any day. I just don't understand it.
Speaker 4: Like that was one of the things I really wanted to try while we were in the US, because I was like, oh, this is so America, not great. One out of ten cannot recommend you know what we should do? Though, I move on to the money dilemma. Let's hear it, Hi, there have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hey, she's on the money. First of all, love the pod, but I just wanted to ask a quick money question about the latest data hack with Optus. Unfortunately, my details were taken in by the hackers, and I just wanted to ask your thoughts on the best way to protect my finances. In particular, I do remember hearing a money diarist saying that she put a hold with her bank or something, but I couldn't quite find the episode to get that exact information. I also wanted to ask if you had any other helpful tips or tricks to make sure that my finances aren't compromised by the hackers as well. Any information would be great.
Speaker 4: Thanks Abby, Abby, Abby, So step back two days, go to Wednesday. Listen to that episode. It was literally made for you and everybody else in this circumstance. We talked all about data protection, data breaches, how to protect yourself and keep your data safe.
Speaker 6: Jess, what were your main takeaways?
Speaker 5: I think it was just like the safety thing for me, so like being really conscious of where you're putting your information, being careful of what you're just closing online because turns out people can really easily find information, even if you think you're being smart with it.
Speaker 6: Like we spoke about the sold boards out.
Speaker 5: The front of people's houses when they buy them for the first time, so we spoke a little bit about the impact of those things. But if you have been hacked, the tangible steps were really to be preemptive. So don't wait until someone defrauds you. Try and get in front of that boat if you can. And that does mean calling around to different people, including your bank. And that hole that she was talking about was you can literally just put a hold a lot of the times. Now you can turn your card off or your bank account off through your app.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I can just do it through my app and just like can not cancel the card, but just like pause it, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but if you can't do that, give your bank a call on the phone, because they should be able to either turn off, you know, certain types of transactions or at least make sure that someone within their dedicated team is monitoring it for any dodgy looking transactions.
Speaker 4: I think the one thing to me that was a really big eye opener is obviously these big data breaches are really awful. It's your email, your phone number, your personal information or yeah, like literally all this information that you don't want to get out, And you know that's where I feel unsafe too.
Speaker 6: I totally get it.
Speaker 4: But it's kind of those subconscious data breaches as well that we talked about, Like you'll use a name on social media, like why is it Victoria Divine ninety one? Like you guys all know where my birthday is, so I'm not too concerned about me at this stage, but like you instantly assume that that is my birth year, so you have my full name, you have my date of birth. Like I just feel like we don't think about data safety in a way that we should. So, yeah, there was a massive data breach. Were lucky, we know that. But it's all of these subconscious things where people can just go on your Instagram and see your profile and scroll back and see who you dated and what you're like, do you know what I mean, like find out the security questions to your password because you're like, oh my gosh, my first pet XYZ passed away immediately they have your first pet name and that's one of the security questions that you have on your bank. And I just think it's so important to think about all of those small things. I'm not saying go and have an alias, but just be really careful because I didn't realize up until few weeks ago my Pinterest name was literally the same, and I was like, yeah, well, I mean it's kind of public knowledge at this point what my birth year is because we talk about it all the time because I'm literally a financial end of your baby, Like yeah, and it's kind of funny. But to be honest, even when I've shared that information with the community or post it on my birthday, I didn't think about my data. I was just thinking about sharing a cute picture with my friends.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I think it's really interesting now because the world is full of people that I don't want to know, but they might want to know you. So I think it's just be really cautious, be really careful, and don't be a boomer about it.
Speaker 5: Treat your data with the respect it deserves, which I think we've all gotten a bit lax with.
Speaker 6: Because we got Togi.
Speaker 4: I totally have as well, and I kind of just don't think about it.
Speaker 6: I'm just like, yeah, okay, no worries, like oh yeah, but.
Speaker 5: Babby definitely listen to that episode because we cover it off on so many things, really tangible tips as well as some things to keep an eye out for. We've also done an episode in the past called Scamdalous, Huge and Delicious.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, sc.
Speaker 3: A, we're.
Speaker 6: We're not going, but we can't sing.
Speaker 5: That's why we have a podcast, not music videos. Very true, but definitely go back and check that out as well because it had lots of tips and tricks on what to do if your details are scammed and being used for something on slavery.
Speaker 4: Also, the other thing before we go is that you can call any of your providers and ask them for the information that they have on you. If you're feeling a little bit uneasy, you can actually call the bank and be like, hey, what information do you have on file about me? And they have to share that with you, and you can actually request that once they've used it, it be destroyed.
Speaker 6: So yeah, handy, handy hint.
Speaker 4: But in saying that, I think that my last piece of advice for the week, Miss Jessica read she I think it's time to go.
Speaker 6: Let's go get a drink. Ten out of ten idea, Let's go see you guys next week. Bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on Cheese on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money SHERPA, pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine