Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of The Sitdown. I'm Mattrolope, a writer an editor for ozopen dot com.
Speaker 2: And I'm viv Christine, managing editor for Australian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 1: And Viv why are we sitting down this week with Joanna Garland?
Speaker 2: Well, Matt, Joe is born in the UK, where I guess all the eyes of the tennis world are at the moment. With Wimbledon qualifying about to begin, we're deep into the grass court season. Joe was born in the UK, represents Chinese Taipei, based in the Netherlands, a real citizen of the world.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Wanted to tap into her to see how she's feeling about the grass court season. And of course we got to know her through the one point Slam here in Australia, so we can kind of claim her a little bit as well. But yeah, it was a great chat. She was really candid and yeah, I think our listeners will learn a lot in this interview.
Speaker 1: They will. What we loved about this chat we were talking off air was just about how we even got like the story behind the story. Because she was so candid and so open, we learned things we know a lot about j a story, but yeah, she gave us some really amazing insights into life on the tour and what was going on behind the scenes. And we really hope you enjoy this chat. Joanna galand thank you very much for joining us today on the sit Down Podcast. It's good to see you.
Speaker 4: It's good to see you too.
Speaker 1: Where in the world do we find you right now?
Speaker 4: I am at home in Stevenage in the UK. I just arrived last night.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay, because we were actually wondering we heard that you were based in the Netherlands and saw that you just played a tournament there. Is that your base or is the UK?
Speaker 4: That's right, and the Netherlands is my base and I'm there in between tournaments as we travel so much. But because we've got a season coming up, I'm doing a training week in London this week, so I'm staying at home.
Speaker 1: Okay, nice, that's good. Your last result was playing at the den Bosch tournament and you fell to Robin Montgomery, who went on to win the tournament. So I know a loss is disappointing, but when you see what the person you lost to went on to do, does that kind of make it a bit easier or make you feel better about your game knowing you lost to the eventual champ.
Speaker 4: It does. I feel like it shouldn't, but it does. And I don't think it necessarily means so much, because there are a lot of factors that are involved with winning and losing in tennis matches. But I think it actually emphasizes the importance of being ready to take an opportunity when it presents itself.
Speaker 1: And I guess playing in a tournament that is where you're based, how we are interested to know how long have you been based in the Netherlands and what's the connection that saw you settle there?
Speaker 4: So I've moved there full time for two years now. I first went there when I was thirteen or fourteen to play an IF junior event, and my dad saw how great the facilities were and ask someone if they knew a good coach and connected me with this coach who is my co today. And I used to go there during the summer and winter holidays to train with him, and yeah, a couple of years ago, decided to move there full time.
Speaker 1: Cool, there's a very long running association then that must be like ten years now it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wow, amazing.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned, you are in Britain now and you are a player with British heritage, So tell us about your relationship with grass.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I've somehow British and i grew up in the UK, so I've grown up watching Winwooden on Telly and I've been a couple of times lucky enough to go as a kid. So grass pot season is a massive thing for me, as it is for all of the Brits. To be honest, I've played on grass in Australia. There are a couple of itfs in Australia in March every year on grass, and I've been to play those a few times and i absolutely loved it. Yeah, it's a very short part of the year, but it's exciting and I mean my dream is to qualify or play wimbled in one day. So yeah, grass season is important.
Speaker 2: We have to ask how does the grass compare in Australia to the UK.
Speaker 4: Honestly, sometimes it's well, the courts I played on we were great like and because you have so much space, you're able to have so many courts so like practice is very evenly spread out, so the main courts don't get ruined. The grass was good, and actually, because it's so hot over there in March, the courts actually play play like a hard court, so they bounce a bit better than they would here when you get like a cold, rainy day.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Wimbledon qualifying last year. You came within around I think of qualifying for Wimbledon. How special would it be to take that next step at Rahampton next week?
Speaker 4: It would mean the old to me, like I've I've qualified for I qualified for running gowns last year and that was just the best moment of my life so far. But I think this would top it, especially falling short last year. I had set points in both sets and lost a really tight match. So this, this would be This would be the moment of my life if I did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of moments of your life, you were, of course a star of the one point Slam here in Australia. You described that in a BBC interview as a once in a lifetime experience and the most fun day in your life. What what was it that made it so special?
Speaker 4: Everything? I just I think, yeah, playing getting to share the court with all of you know, all of the breaks that were there, those those players and just playing in that kind of atmosphere in front of so many people, and just the whole event itself. I mean it was from what I've heard, it was a fantastic event to watch live, whether you were there or whether you're watching it on Telly. So for me just to be on that court and be in that whole situation, that was incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can attest to that. We were watching and we all loved it. Everyone really got caught up in the story. But you know, you have an interesting story about even participating in the event. As I understand it, you didn't sign up until the very last minute. You had I think, one minute to spare us. Tell us about that.
Speaker 4: No, that's right. So I lost in my actual A qualifying match that morning and happened to walk past Lawrence, who was organizing the event, I think, and he asked me if I wanted to sign up because I lost, and initially I said no, But I went to have lunch with my best friend who was there to watch me in Melbourne, and she said that she was thinking of going to watch the one point Slam later and I thought, well, if she's going to watch, then I may as well, sign up. He's probably only going to be a couple of points and then we can go and have dinner or something. And so I went, I ran down, I ran back down to the tournament office and said, please, can I sign up with kind of like one one minute to spare before the deadline?
Speaker 2: So you ended up very Yeah, you ended up on Redever Arena before thousands of spectators and so many more watching at home.
Speaker 3: Who would have thought?
Speaker 4: I didn't tell anyone I was playing last minute?
Speaker 1: Did your friends know that you were doing it though? The ones that were starting to watch, the ones.
Speaker 4: That were staying to watch, Yes, but anyone at home, any friends that they didn't know? And I think someone messaged my mom saying, hey have you tuned into this? She had no idea.
Speaker 1: That's incredible, so good. What was so amazing about your one point slam experience was the people that you beat. So you beat very curios Sachary donovikch, which is absolutely more wild now because very have just one Roland Garros and Donnovicch just one Queens. So does that make it even more significant when you think about who they were and what they've gone on to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really cool. I mean I can say that I've well I haven't beaten him, but technically beaten the Grand Slam champion. No, I mean, I know, I know, like you know, if I plays her in a real match, I'm I'm probably not even winning one point of him. But like the one. That's what makes the one point Slam so great because there's there's so much pressure to play that one point. Yeah, Like there's those names of the players that I came up against. It's crazy. I actually I was pretty sad when Sachary lost her Sakary won her point against Carlos, so I be curios. And then I was like, oh, if Carlos wins his next point, I get to play him, And I was kind of gutted.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I've forgotten that's how the draw work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you looked back on any of your like few but knowing your individual points, and do you have a favorite point?
Speaker 4: It's got to be the one against though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have said that one as well with the backhand.
Speaker 3: It was really incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it also did. The experience did amazing things for your profile because in the in the weeks after that, I heard you on the tennis podcast. You've gone on the BBC and talked about your experience. We're talking to you now. I'm sure there's been other opportunities as well. What was it like to adjust to that new profile that you had.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've never had that kind of publicity before. It was it was honestly felt very, very weird. But I I'm very happy and grateful that I got the publicity I did through this event. Like, I'm so thankful for the opportunity. I mean, it would be nice for one day for me to be recognized for my own tennis and not just the one point slam. But yeah, it was. It was crazy. It was a bit it was a bit strange. I mean there are still messages that I haven't replied to because I got so many. Yeah, it was. It was unreal. It's just like I think, Yeah, the amount of messages and like support that I received was was crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will ask you about other tennis results, not just the one point slime. But before we move on to that there, it was really interesting to listen to your tennis podcast interview, specifically because you've got quite emotional in that interview talking about the realization of being one point within winning a million dollars and what that could have done for your family, But that was quite soon after what had happened, And with I guess now six months on, how does it kind of feel now that you've had a bit of space to reflect on it and it's maybe a bit more distant in the memory.
Speaker 4: If I have to be honest, like completely honest, it definitely messed with me a bit for the weeks and maybe a month or two afterwards, and not at all like ungrateful for the experience, Like I wouldn't change a thing.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: I mean, okay, maybe I would have made the ball that I missed and chose to and chose to receive, but you know, I wouldn't change a thing. And I'm I'm so grateful for the experience and loved every single second of it. But it definitely messed with me afterwards, and I had to say that I did struggle a bit mentally to cope with it. Plus I don't think it it helped because because it was such a such a big thing, So everyone that I saw or everyone that I knew, like was like, oh, why did you miss that back hand of the line, And I'm like, great, but no, I'm I'm over it now. And I think, like I said that, I mean, my parents have always been struggling financially, and it would have been I mean, I could have you know, they could have retired or could have bought their first house. But they don't mind at all. Like they were just so happy that I got to experience it. And yeah, I mean I was. I was a bit sad for a while, and I kind of felt like I had to make up for losing through my own tennis results. So I kind of pushed quite hard on an injury that I had when I maybe should have stopped playing. But it's all part of tennis and all part of life, isn't it. So but now I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: Good. I'm going to hear.
Speaker 2: Just backtracking a little. I love a tennis origin story, So could you tell us about your start in the sport.
Speaker 4: I started the sport. I started quite young. I think my dad is my dad still is a tennis coach and he was the one that got me into tennis. Yeah. So I picked up a racket at quite a young age, maybe five, five or six years old, and I was just playing a lot with with the kids at the tennis club, like on the mini courts waiting for him to finish work. Probably spent hours hitting against the wall by myself.
Speaker 1: The wall was in everybody story.
Speaker 4: I think I used to. What I used to do was like the wall wouldn't be the wall, but it would be like an opponent and yeah, and if I hit it hard enough so the ball would like rebound and then go long, I would have won the point. And then eventually, like I remember, like doing this and like picking up the trophy or like winning a Grand Slam like with just imagine like my imagination.
Speaker 2: So yeah, did you ever imagine when I was kid a specific opponent for the wall, maybe like Zerov for example.
Speaker 4: I don't know, maybe I think I think I did, like imagine myself playing like sharp Over and Williams and that were they?
Speaker 2: Were they your favorite players growing up?
Speaker 4: Favorite players growing up? I mean, for sure here was such a massive influence being British, But I think just like just all of them, all the great like love watching them play and how lucky are we that we've got to got to witness that? Right?
Speaker 2: Did you did you ever attend Wimbledon as a fan when you were growing up.
Speaker 4: I think I went a couple of times. I can't remember exactly how many. So you watch sharp over Djokovic. I think we've got to see Roger as well. I mean, just just talking about it now brings back great memories. Yeah. I went a few times and my dad would always be like, oh, like, don't just watch the ball, like watch their footwork, look at how they move, look at what they're doing in between the points, their body language, and it's it's such a nice day out Wimbledon, Like I would recommend it to anyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's an absolute privilege, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Your tennis journey and also your life journey took you to Taiwan for quite a few years.
Speaker 3: Tell me what were those years like for you.
Speaker 4: I think those years in Taiwan really shaped who I am and now, and they were not the foundation of me playing tennis because I picked up a racket in the UK, but it's really the reason that I did keep playing and eventually turned professional. Tennis is such an affordable sport over there, and I was lucky enough to be in a school that had ten clay courts across the road, so played loads of tennis and I mean, we didn't go. We didn't go for the tennis. We went well. So I have two little brothers and my parents were like, we think it's a good time for you to understand your mother's culture and try and learn the language. So they decided to move us over there and I ended up staying for eight years to finish high school.
Speaker 3: What was behind that?
Speaker 2: Was it sort of the staying on which I understand your family went back to the UK.
Speaker 3: So I was at the school Factor.
Speaker 4: School Factor, Yeah, so I would also started receiving financial support from the federation and from my school as well. But part of that, so part of that was I had to play in the national league for the school, and I was just having a really good time, like all my friends were there and I really wanted to stay. So I persuaded my parents to let me stay and they did so I left Taiwan when I was around eighteen.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, wow, that's a that's a big decision to make when you're when you're so young. You know, tennis and life, I guess is full of sliding door moments. Do you ever sort of stop and think about, you know, it had different or would it be different if you'd gone back to the UK.
Speaker 4: At the same time, I feel like I wouldn't have carried on playing. I maybe would have played tennis for fun. I probably would have gone to UNI and just played once or twice a week. So so yeah, I have thought about it before, and so I'm very happy that I stayed.
Speaker 1: You've talked a bit about how your dad said that the like how great tennis was all the facilities were in the Netherlands. But then you've also talked about how in Taiwan you've got like free access to courts, but then in the UK you've got that access to grass and that's the hope of Wimbledon. So what has it been like? I guess your tennis story has been shaped by those three different countries in a way, Like what is are they more similar than we think? Or are there distinct things about each of them? And you know that I don't know whether you prefer one or the other or that have helped shape you as a player.
Speaker 4: I think all three have the pros and cons, and I've been lucky enough to kind of like take the benefits from all three three places. Like the coaching culture in Taiwan is completely different to to what it is in the UK, especially when I was a kid, coaches were very strict and very tough on us, but tennis was so affordable, But it was the mindset was a bit fixed, and I'd say like in the UK and in the Netherlands, it's sorry. In the UK it's it's more kind of open, like you have coaches telling kids, yeah, you're you're capable, you can do this, and I think the the emphasis is more on like fun and player development, whereas over in Taiwan it was all about getting good and working hard and training hard. So I think that's kind of like what I struggled with in Taiwan was how tough the coaches were on us because we've got like loads of physical punishments and and that kind of stuff. But tennis was so accessible over there. It's it's it's basically free and the weather is good all year round so you don't have to play indoors. And in the UK it's and I think in the Netherlands as well, it's just it's more like based around fun. So yeah, I've been lucky enough to have both of those, both of those elements.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you also said something quite profound in your BBC interview about about your dad, you said he was your coach, but that your relationship got a bit broken as a result of that. And so what what was that like to kind of shift away into a different coaching setup and what what is your coaching setup and the people around you?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Who's in who's in your team?
Speaker 4: It was difficult. I remember the conversation that we had when I told him, like, I don't think this is going to work anymore, and I could see he was so upset. It was difficult. Yeah, we just every session would end up like with with with us having an argument.
Speaker 1: And like that sounds kind of common though.
Speaker 4: It's rather common. But yeah, we couldn't get any work done on court, like you know, like the like the ballhopper would be thrown and like the balls would go all over the court and I'd had to walk home. We just we just but we wouldn't talk, and then that would upset my mom as well. So I think it was good we stopped. And so my setup now is I just I work with my Dutch coach privately. We in winter, we train in this little barn. There's like a farm with a little barn that has two indoor courts we trained there. Yeah, it's really cute. The club level in the Netherlands is great, so like basic club players like they can give me a good game, so there are plenty of people to hit with and I have my physio who's also my SNC coach. So it's quite a cute little setup.
Speaker 2: That farm sounds divine any animals.
Speaker 4: I think it's flower farm.
Speaker 3: Was so really lovely.
Speaker 2: You had an amazing start to this year you won the Canberra Challenger, which also followed a great end to last year when you reached the Chennai semi finals and had that fantastic match against Kim Birell. What was clicking for you so well at that.
Speaker 4: Point it seems like quite a while ago now think I was just I was just focusing on the stuff that my coach has set me out to do and not really worrying about the result. I was more focused on my own attitude on the court and trying to play good tennis. So Chennai was the last tournament of the year, and I'm sure all of us were feeling burnt out. I certainly was. I'd been on the road for ten weeks and was by myself more than half of those weeks, so I really wanted to go home, but that kind of took the pressure off the result because I was like, well, if I win, great, If I lose, I can go home. But my so and I think that that kind of brought out some really good tennis as well. Like I was hitting the ball quite freely, and I have i'd say I have a kind of a big game, like I play aggressively. So I was hitting a big serve, hitting some big groundstrokes and then managed to shring a few wins together. And I think that even though there was a big gap between that tournament and camera, that momentum kind of stayed with me. And but I think one thing, one thing I've found, and I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or it really is a factor that I play well when I make connections with people from this tournament. So in Chennai, like I did like this Kid's clinic, and some of the girls from the clinic actually warmed me up for my my matches in my later rounds and I kind of got to know them and so ended up having a good time. And the same goes for Canberra, like I got to meet some really cool people there and really enjoyed it. And I think when you enjoy the tournament, it just makes you play better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. And speaking of connections, we actually had Kim Burrell on our podcast quite recently, just a month or two ago, and we talked about that Chennai match because she went on to make the final and that was a great result for her. But she specifically said about you that you were a very lovely person and that was like a great moment and match that you shared. So how nice is it to kind of, I guess have those connections with other players And who were some of the other players that you have connections with on tour?
Speaker 4: Yeah? That was that match was that was an insane match and it was wild as wild and Kim is so lovely and she was was she was the best, Like she won the I think she won the Sportsmanship awards for the tournament and like there was no one else that could be her for that that award. She was lovely like I Yeah, for anyone that doesn't know what happened, like, yeah, I was, I was cramping and had heat exhaustion and and she she kind of like ran down to my end of the court and like helped me out and stayed like just she was just so just so nice, like like in the match, like and after the match as well, like and also one thing that I don't know she mentioned, like I was so I was down the same end as her brother who was coaching her, and I was like really struggling physically, and like he was encouraging me. He was like like, come on, like you've got there. She's okay, You're doing fine, Like just breathe. And when have you ever like when would you ever hear something like that happen?
Speaker 1: No, I've never heard of didn't. I did not know, And that's that's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's yeah, she's lovely and yeah, very I mean, I would have loved to won the match, but I'm still I'm happy for her to have to have, yeah, to have won it as well. And speaking of connections, I think it's a bit difficult to kind of make like I certainly don't have that many like best friends on tour. There are a few girls that that I'm that I'm quite well, i'd say close with, but there are there are loads of girls that you just get on with. And I think in the end of the day, like we're all we all know that we're doing the same thing, and we're the only people that can like kind of relate to each other with what we do. So hopefully by the end of all of our careers we can we can stay connected and kind of appreciate what what we did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. You also alluded to it earlier in the chat that you had probably pushed on through an injury that you shouldn't have after leaving Australia, And I mean, yeah, you you've only played I think eight or nine tournaments this year, and there was a two month period where you didn't have any activity after Indian World. So what what have what have the last couple of weeks and months been like for you? On two What have you been I guess managing.
Speaker 4: I've been managing the seap injury that just didn't I didn't go away because I was playing on it and then I made it worse, which is I'm sure a lot of players are guilty of doing that. So yeah, it was. It was. It was frustrating because I a couple of times I felt things were going really well and that I could be playing again soon and then I had a set back again. I was a bit upset and kind of it was sort of shortly after the one point slam where I mentioned earlier. I was feeling a bit well down about that like as well. So it kind of hit me a bit harder than most injuries would, I think. But but I'm managing it now and I've been okay for the past month, so hopefully it stays this way. And I know if I keep if I keep putting in the work off the court physically, it'll get better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there sort of anything that you did to get yourself out of that kind of I don't know, difficult period, Like did you take a break.
Speaker 3: Or what do you do in that situation?
Speaker 4: I wasn't really able to take a break, I think because I I was still training. I was still capable of doing some stuff on court with the injury. So we're still training every single day. I think just getting out and playing matches again help the most. So from playing my first tournament back to roll in Gowers, and then once you get into that that momentum of playing every single week and playing matches and you know the next week there's another tournament to play, So what happens this week doesn't really matter so much anymore that that really helps, whereas if you have such a long period where you don't play well. I personally was sort of thinking about the last matches that I played, which I lost, and so it definitely helps, and it helped me to have those tournaments in my mind.
Speaker 1: You also said in the BBC interview that your goal is top one hundred. You made a really interesting observation that at the time of the interview you or about one twenty in the world, and that it was a bigger gap from one twenty to one hundred than it is from say two hundred to one twenty. I thought that was really interesting, and I wondered, why is that gap harder to close and what do you need to do? What would you see as that bridging that gap from one twenty to one hundred.
Speaker 4: Just to get to that top hundred from where I was, I really needed to something in my gain needed to get better, like I really, you really need to have the skill set and the ability to win those matches. You can't just go and pick a couple of tournaments that might be smarter points wise, because the gap is bigger. I think like to kind of break it down, I would have needed to win a two fifty event and a one two five event. Those are so you.
Speaker 1: Actually made like mathematically it's a bigger gap. Like there's just like in terms of number literal number of points right right right, Well, yeah, that makes sense, and then you would have to win a bigger category of tournament to get there.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right. So to win that bigger category of tournament, your game, your game just has to be good. So I think you know, the key thing was, well I was staying healthy is one thing, but just playing playing that game that I want to develop in the game that I think will get me to top hundred in my matches.
Speaker 1: So that's yeah, yeah, no, that makes sense, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: So many things to think about it is there? Yeah, yeah, when you think of this year as a whole, what what does success look like for you?
Speaker 4: That the answer to that question has changed over the last few months, given what happened with my injury, And I mean the of last year, I really thought I was going to smash this year. I really thought that I would qualify it for the Slams and break into that top hundred already. But now I think, just yes, I still want to make top hundred, and I still want to qualify for Slams, which I believe I can do. Right now, I think I just want to be healthy. I want to be able to play a full year because I love playing tennis so much, and the last few months have really emphasized how much how much I do love it and how much I miss it when I can't play it. So I just I want to stay healthy and I want to stay happy, and I think if I prioritize those two things, then the results will come themselves, for sure.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Attitude, and you know, it's it's so good to hear that you've sort of got your love for tennis back again with that. Does there are there any bigger dreams that.
Speaker 1: You think about or an opponent you'd like to face that you haven't before?
Speaker 4: Is another thing I think all the so well, I can't play Serena or shore Over anymore.
Speaker 1: That serenus back.
Speaker 4: Okay if I if I yeah, yeah, hopefully she stays back. That wouldn't be nice. I think, just now, just it's just and like even bigger picture point of view, like just being where I am today and being able to play Slam qualies and have a sniff of playing Grand Slam main drawers, like that's that's incredible, Like this is what I would have droomed for as a kid. And you know, I don't think I'm someone that's going to go and win a Slam, but I would. I would love to, you know, play the Slams and maybe make some deep runs there. But I just I would love to be involved with tennis and maybe do something with tennis at the end of my career. I haven't really thought about it so much, like I just, I'm just I would love to play the Slams and be able to stay there and keep playing them because they're they're amazing tournaments to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, You've still got lots of time to do that in your career, and I'm sure you'll have many supporters along the way, including us here in Australia. So thank you so much for joining us today on the sit down and good luck.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you for having me, Thank you well, Matt.
Speaker 2: I really enjoy getting to know Joina Garmand a lot more and I also enjoyed, just I guess that greater understanding of both the Highs and the.
Speaker 3: Challenges of life on tours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, and we're really looking forward to seeing how she goes this week at Roehampton in Wimbledon qualifying. It starts today on Monday, and yeah, let's see she can achieve that dream of making the Wimbledon main.
Speaker 2: Drop and we'll be back next week with another episode of The sit Down when we bring you a special which is our best of Wimbledon. Please remember to subscribe to the sit Down so you never missed an episode in your feed, and we'd love you to leave us a rating and review.
Speaker 3: See you next week, Matt, See then, vib