Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to the tennis sits ap us hits form with a title in Dubai, thirteen nousies lining up in the main draw of Indian Wells, though curious under an injury cloud, and Djokovic and Alcarez on track for another quarter final showdown. That's all ahead on the Tennis with Me John hoovenas for the last time in a little while. More news on that in the end of the show. But back with me is the Queen of the smallest screen, Briece Stewart. Welcome back from you leave.
Speaker 2: Thank you, good to be How was it It was amazing. Yeah, I just had some life, which was it was always good to have some line.
Speaker 1: It's great to have some life, and we love people who have a little bit of life on the pody, just like the mathemagician Levi Huddleston. Welcome Levi.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. I don't know if I deserve that title, but let's see.
Speaker 1: It's going to stick. And of course Australian Davis Cup rep one one three, the man with the one one three and brought it into his golden shirt. Luke Saville, Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Luke, Thanks Johnny and fresh coach for the tour.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and like just on that. I know it's part of your what's caught your eye, But what a week Dasha has had. Just give us the top line view of what she's had to cope with over the last thirty six forty eight hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think everyone saw the qualifying into semi final in Marida, so definitely timely for Dasha there and a very very difficult travel. I'm not gonna say day because it went through the night into the next morning to Indian Wells. But yeah, had the cancelation. First flight in Marida, had to be re routed through Mexico. Was on the plane for just a quick stopover and the flight went past ten pm and there's a curfew at the airport, so they had to cancel that flight. She stayed through the night, flew the next morning probably on two to three hours sleep, had to drive the next morning from Tijuana to Indian Wells, had to play that evening and won. So one of the most impressive performances I've witnessed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 2: When I saw her Instagram post, I was like, oh my god. And then the win, I was like, she's good.
Speaker 1: So you spoke to her probably before the match and after the match. Just gives the insight into her emotional state at both ends.
Speaker 4: There were tears during the during the delay, during the whole sort of travel experience. I felt terrible for her, but thank God Michael Lagaza, her coach, was there with her and sort of steadying the ship and trying to keep her emotions in tap. But just so much respect and admiration for her to get off, and I was just sort of worried about injury, to be honest, just on that minimal amount of sleep to go out and play at such a high level, lost the first set and then came back and won in close to three hours when she was already sore after playing six high level matches in Marita. So with the one day rest and you could barely call it rest after that travel day. So just sort of shows the character and competitors is obviously I'm a little biased, but an amazing effort.
Speaker 1: I like it. I like it when you know husband's come on the show and give a rap to their wives. You're the only one that we have. So more on Dasher and the other Aussi's plights in Indian wells as the show progresses, but let's stay with you. What else caught your eye in the past week of tennis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so's it's Dasher's run to the semis of Marita and fantastic timing for her after a bit of a tough stretch in the Middle East. Also Eler after a bit of a break with that injury after the Aussie Open, and fantastic to see her making the semi finals in Austin. So just sort of the two veterans in the Australian females just sort of showing some of those younger ones they ride on their tail and I think you know, that's four Australian women in the top one hundred now, so fantastic to see. And then at the futures level here in Australia, Jason Kobler winning back to back futures down there in Tasmania and for me Jason Ira were great mates and he's a top hundred player in my opinion, and great to see him back in early stages of his comeback. Had a lot of injuries in his career, especially those knees, so I'm just hoping he can have a stretch of sort of injury free tennis and in my opinion he can get back inside the top hundred.
Speaker 1: Congrats to Coobler, winning, Bernie and Loncesten. All Right, Bree, what's caught your eye? Because you've had two weeks off, you can sort of disconnect from your emails and potentially a lot of other things that you have to tend to. Is your role at Tennis Australia. But what have you been watching?
Speaker 2: I have still been staying in touch with tennis because I now quite well. I've always liked it, but I like it even more now that I'm here. But I did get my eye caught by the oscars and the fact that we had some tennis players there. So we had Cocoa Gough who walked the red carpet. She was wearing moumo.
Speaker 6: I think that's how you say it, you me and mew.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I thought someone classy.
Speaker 2: I might know, but I'm sure plenty of our listeners will let me know how I got that wrong.
Speaker 5: A designer, it's a designer.
Speaker 2: And she met Samuel L. Jackson and will Be Goldberg and then also she was joined by Sablenca and Serena Williams at the after party, and so for me, it's kind of like, I feel like our women are getting back into the pop culture site geist. I feel like we've had a couple of years where they were still there but not really.
Speaker 6: I don't know all and off the radar a bit.
Speaker 1: Is it Anna Wintour's connection to tennis that has helped elevate the profile, especially of the men.
Speaker 2: I think because she's always been closely aligned with Roger Federer, so I think it's been a lot more and she loves tennis, don't get me wrong, but I feel like some of it's always been Serena and Venus, but now we're starting to get more women in that kind of area, and I think it's really exciting.
Speaker 6: It's been a long time coming in my mind, but maybe not.
Speaker 1: What do you think you see this crossover of professional athletes getting involved in effectively Hollywood, you know, whether it's an Academy Awards event or a high end fashion event in New York? What do you reckon?
Speaker 4: I think it's good for tennis to get that exposure, for sure, and usually it's before Indian Wales. Just there in LA and I'm just chuckling at Breeze caught your eyes, just not remotely related to tenort results or anything. So when I was looking at when I was looking at when I was looking at our agenda, had a bit of a chuckle. But no, it's I can't really comment too much on the fashion. If I'm honest, Am.
Speaker 1: I right in thinking Coco gov had two different outfits?
Speaker 6: She did? That's what they do these days.
Speaker 2: So they have one outfit for the oscars and then they have one outfit for the after party. Theys have one back in the day, but it's now become like weddings. How you have two dresses apparently.
Speaker 1: And does everyone head for the bathrooms at the same time to get a feeling.
Speaker 2: They've all got like hotels close by, and they go and get changed, and their stylists they're waiting to change them, is what I'm imagining.
Speaker 1: Spend much time in Tinsiltown, Levi, in your time back in the States.
Speaker 3: I have not spent too much time there, But you know, I think it's really cool that there is that merging of worlds a bit, and I think it Yeah, like Luke said, it's probably good for the sport to have more eyes on tennis indeed, and great for the profile of some of these women athletes, especially in the week of International's.
Speaker 1: Day coming up this Saturday. Yeah, and I'll say an early happy International.
Speaker 6: Women's Day, thank you and what are you going to do to help?
Speaker 1: What am I doing to help this year? I'm bringing other women.
Speaker 5: Into the world.
Speaker 6: That that counts.
Speaker 1: I'll done more of that later in the show. LEVI. What's caught your eye, sir?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean just some really big title wins. But I wouldn't say unexpected winners, but just really strong performances and some big breakthroughs. So Amma Navarro at Marita just her first five hundred title, there's a lot of first for her. I mean it was like the first time someone's double bagel sends ega in twenty twenty one at the Italian Open.
Speaker 1: Just the fifth century, just.
Speaker 3: The FF that's what's on all the articles and the final. Yeah, everyone's talking about it. But yeah, first five hundred title for her first time, is the top seed in the tournament, So a lot of first and I think that gave her a lot of confidence. Talking about the numbers, I think it was kind of interesting to look at. Okay, how did the AO and Marita kind of compare, and what we see is like her return numbers are really really solid and consistent. I mean she's just one of the best returners. I mean, second to Coco Goff in terms of return points one and then second to Ega as well in another category. But like the first serve return points one sixty percent at Marita and then the top ten average is thirty eight. So oh wow, it's just insane, Like she crushed it when she was there, and then she like converted all of those not all of them, but she converted a lot of those breakpoints, you know, like sixty percent, so she wasn't just doing really well, but she was also handling those pressure moments and converting so huge. I think spotlight on her this week. I think the other thing to look at was her serving performance. Okay, so consistent with the AO like on this on the return, but in terms of the serving performance, it actually elevated quite a bit at Marita.
Speaker 1: Just remind us what her result was here in Melbourne this year, Emminavar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she she lost I think it was in the quarters to Egosuayatek, So I mean she had a really good rump. Then you know you're facing Ega and Ego was playing incredibly well, so like it. Yeah, I mean it's it's interesting to see, but like that service game just really stepped up and I think it was more of a weapon for her. So it's kind of interesting to see if that pattern is going to continue.
Speaker 1: What are your impressions of emminavr look as a plier, she was the the top seed there emeritor, so no surprises that she went all the way, but seems to float under the radar and some of these bigger events, including here at Indian Wells.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, And I was fortunate enough to watch some of her matches at the Australian Open this year, and it's probably her composure and temperament which I think goes unnoticed a little bit, just even in some of those matches when she was playing Peyton Sterns early on in the tournament and they'll deepen the third set and you just wouldn't have known if she was deep in the third set or early in the first set. Just very very sort of great composure. She's a great athlete as well, you know, amazing fourhand, just such a solid player all round. And yeah, I think you know, Orango was obviously probably reasonably tired in that one as well. And I think when Emma is probably like slightly better than her opponent but a similar game style, it could be a very tough day for her opponent. So I think that's how that final went.
Speaker 1: Now, how the condition's got a very here from Mexico into the Californian desert. What she going to have to adjust?
Speaker 4: I think they were pretty similar from all reports, quite slow and bouncy, and a lot of the matches are sort of played at night as well, and that really slows the conditions down when it's played under the lights. It cools down fast in the desert in Indian wells as well, so that really slows the conditions zund Even Dasha was telling me she was playing a lot of her matches through the day than her first one at night was against Bodosa, she said, and just the difference in conditions, and even on her body as well. She felt her muscles were seizing up a little bit more and just much different. And I think a lot of people don't realize how much that can have an effect on the match and everything and the athlete's bodies out there. So I think similar conditions to both tournaments from all reports, and I feel like Emma high on confidence, hopefully has a few days off because you have a buyer in Indian Wells and she'll be one to she'll be one to beat there well.
Speaker 1: Jess Bergula was the other title winner from last week, winning in Austin against McCartney Kesler in the final, and she was very gracious in lending a few players, including Jing Chin Ween, a spot on her private jet to get to Indian Wells. But the other title winners for the man, Thomas Mahutch victorious at Akapulco his first ATP title. Would you believe? I had a fitted Alejandro da Vidovich for Kina in the final after a blistering campaign from the eighth seed Mahutch and Sefanov sits a bus getting the job done against Felix Augier Alijasim in Dubai. Would you believe his first five hundred title? He'd won all the other ones but nothing in between. So first five hundred for Steph Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's really interesting, you know because it's like this curse kind of around it where he was like zero and eleven, So it's I think a big deal for him obviously, he's won bigger tournaments. But I think was it Novak that said something along the right lines of oh, nobody beats sits of pass twelve.
Speaker 5: Times in a row or something like that.
Speaker 3: So really, really, I think big moment for him kind of looking you know, zooming out a bit, and in terms of sits a pass, you know, twenty nineteen to twenty twenty three, he's just solid in that top ten four to six in terms of his rank, and then you know, twenty twenty four we see him drop a little bit in terms of his form, and so now he's back in the top ten after this run, this title run, So I think it's you know, maybe it's turning that new leaf. And so it was interesting looking into the data and like, what was he doing different in those periods where he was you know, four to six, What was he doing different in that period where he dropped a bit, and what is he doing now at Dubai.
Speaker 1: So in terms of the.
Speaker 3: Data, what's really I think interesting is looking at his his forehand speed because there was a lot of people commenting on his blacked out racket, so he was using an unbranded racket and people are wondering, okay, what's what's going on there? And so if you look at the data, his forehand speeds about a one hundred and twenty two k's in that period, you know, twenty twenty two to twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: But then in Dubai it jumps up to one hundred and twenty nine and the.
Speaker 1: Two averages one twenty two. Right, Yeah, he was on path, he was on.
Speaker 3: Par But then it's it's just interesting, is it that racket switch? Is he getting a little bit more out of that racket than he was before? So I think, you know, he's talked often about the slowness of the courts and how that's affecting his game and how he doesn't appreciate how much it's slowing down. He's a huge, you know server, big forehand, you know, serve plus one guy, and so could it be this racket that's giving him a little bit more of an edge and dictating some of those points.
Speaker 4: It's kind of interesting.
Speaker 6: And do we know what recket he is playing with now?
Speaker 5: Well, the rumor is.
Speaker 3: So there was a picture of basically a stringer stringing it, but you can see a little babbylat So he was with Wilson and now it's.
Speaker 2: And we think that's why it's blacked out because they might be a little bit of.
Speaker 1: A yes, I think so, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I think maybe public release, but unfortunately maybe that that picture surface. So that's I'm not sure the exact model of the babblat, but it looks like potentially Errol pro or appear Straight, so you know those models.
Speaker 6: I actually just went and got a new So yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: Very good look to add to be able to add seven kph to your average fourhand speed, what what can that do to a player's game? To elevate.
Speaker 4: A lot of things, and especially Steph he looks to dominate with his forehand and already one of the best fourhands in the world, but just to add a few k's, I mean, that's the difference of an opponent possibly being on the ball, but then you know, compared to being on the stretch and maybe that next reply being sure or even a winner. So from what I was seeing as well, Steph was getting a lot more on the ball, a lot more reps as well, not just speed but spin as well. He wasn't happy during the Aussie summer with his racket. From all reports as well, and I'm a friend here with one of the tennis lub guys who was tweaking around with his racket a bit. So he was trying some things through January and not overly happy with So it seems like he's settled on his racket. And I liked his Instagram post as well. They were saying my game was sinking, so I went and got myself a boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like it. Ever, the philosopher is Steph. It's amazing what a new racket can do, or a change and racket can do. And we saw that with Maddie Keyes in the Australian summer and the way that she's been able to elevate her game. Is it an underrated part of tennis, you think, matching the athlete with a racket that really works for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. And I feel like throughout my career I was one of the ones where it was just, you know, just get a racket and stick with it. I was one of those ones and I never really tweaked too much with my racket, my equipment, my string. But actually in the later years of my career changed to a Yonix and different string and actually felt like I got a lot more on my strokes on my serve and that really changed my mindset to that as well. And I feel like if I have my time again, we have such great facilities over the National Tennis Center with all the testing and all the tennis Lab guys and girls do such a great job over there, so I really feel like I would have utilized that more throughout my career. And I just think equipment is such a big part of it. And if you're playing with something that doesn't match your characteristics, your swinging, your biomechanics, I think, you know sort of you're wasting your time a little bit. So making that matchup is very important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean talking about that Tennis Lab, you know, they have a whole recommender or it kind of will give you the different characteristics of the racket and how accurate you are, how much top spin, how much speed. So I know a lot of athletes during the summer will come down and you know, test their equipment and just see, Okay, what's what's working, what do I currently have? What changes could these things bring? You know, I was looking at some of the reports that we had out there, and it was I think just a string change to natural gut, you know, boosted one pros kph by like ten. But yeah, but I mean obviously it's it's not match play. You're doing drills and you're kind of teen off of the ball bit. But I mean it can really change, you know, the amount of power you get. I mean, but on the con side, there's you know, maybe you're going to make more unforced errors because you're getting that additional power.
Speaker 1: Did you head down to the tennis labs to get your rent?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't go to tennis Lab because I didn't want anyone who knows me to keep my racket. But we do have Dan and Race down there right now actually because they're going to be writing a story and doing some social content to explain more about how tennis Lab works and how important and how good it is even for you know, just a casual player, like well, like, well we are not you.
Speaker 4: You won't looking at me as far.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it's just so good to have the right racket.
Speaker 2: And I was playing with one racket and then I started playing with this racket that I got. I got a Yonix as well, and it completely not that I'm a great player, but it completely changed how it felt the ball.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's opened up some new career opportunities. Absolutely post your social media career anything on Steph. I know you had some serve data as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean, so like we're talking about what changed in those periods. So for Staph, it seemed like he wasn't holding serve as easily during this this maybe dip period in twenty twenty four where he dropped about eighty five percent. Previous he was at eighty seven. But in Dubai, yeah, I mean he's showing numbers at ninety percent, So is it that serve change. He's well above the tour average there at eighty percent. You know, same thing with first serves in. He struggled a little bit in twenty twenty four with getting that first serve in. So you know, twenty twenty five Dubai he's, you know, having great numbers at sixty five percent serve in. So I think those those are just helped him and really allowing him to go deep in drys and so hopefully you know, we'll see him go deep again.
Speaker 1: In your mind to see back in contention here as someone for serious major consideration, I.
Speaker 4: Think for sure, And you know, as you mentioned he has definitely gone through a dip and I think he just sort of stagnated in his in his career a little bit. And to say that as a top ten players is quite ridiculous. Just shows you know the quality of player sits the passes. But I think he was just at a period where he needed to change something, he needed to tweak something, and I think going to a frame with new pet with more power, sorry, and just to get himself more on the ball, some more speeds, some more RPMs for his game, especially coming onto the clay as well. I think if he can put more on his forehand, the back end is always going to be the weaker side, and I don't think a racket's necessarily going to change too much about that. But if he can do more damage on the forehand and serve for me, that'll make a lot of difference. Deep in slams, A lot.
Speaker 1: Of eyes on stef Sidz to pass as he takes to the courts of Indian Wells this week as the eighth seed is in that top quarter with the number one seed Alex Zaverev. More on that coming up. I just wanted to touch on something that we did mention last week leern A Tien. He was eventually responsible for the upset of alex Verev at Akapulco. And he just keeps adding big names to his list of top ten wins.
Speaker 4: He really does, and just such a steady player. And as I mentioned last week, he was playing the challenges in the States that I was playing end of last year, and he was sitting around one hundred and fifty in the world, and I just felt like he was going to be top hundred very very soon. Amazing temperament, never really missed too many balls, sort of just unforced. He was so solid and a great composure out there, great attitude. So I was sort of questioning whether his game was going to stack up at to a level. It just wasn't sure. It was a little lie on. He's quite a small guy, but it's amazing to see that his sort of game style, his tricky sort of leftiness, is really well. It's more than holding up. He's getting some amazing results. Amazing run here in Melbourne of this tral and open and it's just great to see because he's a good guy, works very hard. He's had the one coach for many years, so I like seeing that as well. It's a great partnership and just sticking together. And I like seeing the reward when a player and a coach go through the ups and downs together throughout the journey.
Speaker 1: We might be seeing Tan versus Shelton in the second round. That's going to feature in our upcoming preview of Indian Wells. Plenty more of the tennis coming up. Before we go to the break, though, let's check in with Duncan McKenzie mccag He's with Daniella Hunter Kover at Indian Wells.
Speaker 7: Thanks team, Hey, Danny's so great to see you and so great to be here at Indian Wells or his players and fans like to call it tennis paradise. What is it about this place that makes it so special?
Speaker 8: Well, it is indeed a tennis paradise. I mean just look around. What there is not too like about this place?
Speaker 9: First of all, the scenery and very selfishly the golf obviously so the off court activities, but then you know, from the food at the player lounge, the way players get treated to the practice facilities that are right behind us, like outside of Grand Slams. I do think this is the best tournament we have on the tour for both men and women, and just you know, it is close, so close to the player's hotel as well, and everything is so relaxed. You can really focus on your tennis what you have to do on the court, and I think that's why every single player appreciates it here so much.
Speaker 7: So many interesting storylines, especially in the women's game. World number one Arena Sablanca. She arrives here, is still probably the best hardcore player in the world. But we've got Eigis fianceek the defending champion, Madison Keyes arrives as a new Grand Slam champion. And then we've got the Americans Jess Pagoula and Coco GoF leading the local charge. What an incredible time in the women's game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely talking about Americans. Just not forget Emma Navarro as well, who had a great run.
Speaker 8: Two a couple of days ago.
Speaker 9: You know, it's just for me, It's all about how Saballenka can form, because out of all the names you just said, I feel like she is the best player. I was just covering her even in Vegas. It was just an exhibition against Naomi Osaka, but she looked so good I mean, plus, she was so relaxed, smiling and just feeling very confident on the court and the course. This the year played a little bit lower and faster, which I think will be good for herself. I don't think it will favor Egas Fiante guess much because she's not going to have that much time to create a spin on the forehand.
Speaker 8: But it's one of those tournaments it depends.
Speaker 9: So much on the conditions and when in the day you play, because if you play during the day, it's going to be super fast, very difficult to control the ball. If you have a night session, if we've been experienced some really cold weather the last couple of days, very unually exactly, so it's almost playing two completely different tournaments.
Speaker 8: So sometimes you have.
Speaker 9: To get a little bit lucky so that you play at the time that actually fits your tennis.
Speaker 7: I want to talk to you about the changing conditions because we have a new surface this year. We've gone from plexi cushion to like hold, and obviously some players think it might be a little bit faster, but Carlos Sakaraz is saying it's not too much faster, and a line of a bike and I was saying, actually, the balls are bouncing a lot lower.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they do bounce lower, and we are getting different feedback gun with some Some players say, oh, it's pretty much the same. Some say, I do from what I try to look at, and I'm actually going to hit myself, so I can tell you a little bit more throughout the week. I do feel like the bounce is not as high as it was the last I would say five six years. It was crazy, crazy slow. I would say more slower than clay. But so it definitely bounces slower, but the thing is here because the air is so thin, that's when.
Speaker 8: The ball travels very quickly.
Speaker 9: So it's the combination of having a slowerish kind of surface, but then it's very difficult to control the balls.
Speaker 7: Let's talk about the men's side. Obviously there's some really interesting storylines. Obviously no Yannick Sinia this year, but Carlos Alcaraz comes back as a two time defending champion, and Alexander Vereb is the top seed here at Indiels as well.
Speaker 8: I'm liking his chance. It's such a play grade.
Speaker 9: Obviously a little bit disappointing the final in Melbourne, but up to that point he was playing amazing tennis and talking about the conditions. I think that will fit his game a little bit quicker, maybe for his serve.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's a tall.
Speaker 9: Guy, so I think if we have that Carlos and Sasha Metchup, I would definitely fence my chances for Sasha this time around.
Speaker 7: Always one of the biggest talking points wherever he plays is Nick Kurios. Obviously he's on a second round collision course with Novak Djokovic if he gets there. Some really kind of distressing scenes yesterday in practice he was holding his wrist, had to abandon his practice session. There is some doubt as to whether he might actually take to the court here at Indian Wells. But I'll tell you what, if there is that second round matchup between Nick and Novak, the bromance is going to have to be on hold for a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, And I think we're all bringing our popcorn in and really going to enjoy that one.
Speaker 8: Let's hope it happens.
Speaker 9: If it does, I don't think no one will be lying liking that matchup because all three of them Rafa, Roger and Novak said in the past when Nick is on the other side of the court, they almost feel like they can't really control what is going to happen. Definitely Novak being in the situation where he doesn't feel comfortable as far as controlling things, it can put him a little bit of his rhythm, So it will be very interesting if that happens.
Speaker 7: And I want to ask you about obviously Alex Daemonor you know, he's had a pretty encouraging start of the year quarterfinals down in Australia, and how do you like his chances of the morning.
Speaker 9: I'm such a huge fan of Alex, as you know, because the way he handled the whole pressure and media attention down Under.
Speaker 8: I think he did it so brilliantly.
Speaker 9: And in this tournament, you have to be fit, you have to be quick, and he's got all of that. And also is a tournament where you are going to see maybe more rallies than any others hardcore tournament, so I think he should be very confident going into this tournament as well.
Speaker 7: Okay, Danny, I'm gonna put you on the spot your predictions for both the men's and women's.
Speaker 9: From what I've seen the last couple of weeks and what happened down Under. I'm going with Sablenka just in front of medicine kids, who I think has a great chance here as well. And then I'm picking Sasha over Carlos Wow. Okay, yeah, I know, and also because the conditions are going to be quicker, but then the letter it is calder gosh, kind of okay, I'll think with Sasha Wow, I like it, Saba Anka and Sasha for Janie Lantako.
Speaker 7: But hey, Danny, so great to chat with you and we'll chat it again next week.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Big thanks to Duncan and Danny. On the grounds at Indian Wells. They're going to be bringing us weekly updates throughout that tournament. It's an exciting looking place and there's a great vibe there, Bree. With a record thirteen ossies lining up in the main draw.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: We're seeing more and more of our women performing really well at the moment, and yeah, we've just seen lots of men as well, so it's a really exciting tournament for us to.
Speaker 1: Watch, including six who've come through qualifying, four women and two men. Unfortunately already lost Alex Vukch overnight he went down to American wild card Tristan boyas Boy will take on Tommy Paul in an all American second round. But some great names here. Luke Rinky Hijakata takes on Alex Shevchenko in the first round. Adam Walton qualifier will play Julio Zapiri and other qualifier Lee Too against Jasan Lavich. So a few lesser lights there of Ossie tennis, but good mates of yours that are doing great things through qualifying.
Speaker 4: Yeah for sure. And yeah, Renky against chev Chenko, that's a pretty good opportunity. Chev Chenko's right around the one hundred mark at the moment, so Renk he's, you know, just such a great player, a great competitor, so good opportunity for him. Lee too beating James Darkworth in the last round of qualifying. Probably a bit of an upset there, I would say, and great grate for Lee to get through there. He was right on the castle actually getting into the qualities on his ranking, so to see him getting in and winnable one against Leevich as well. So it's just great to see the men doing well. But four of our women get through qualifying as well, and that's what I'm most excited about is just that real push. As I mentioned before, four inside the top one hundred, but three or four right behind as well, So very excited to see how that shapes out the next sort of six to twelve months.
Speaker 1: So it's Maddi English who plays Sophia Kennan in the first round, Eila Tomledovich versus Katie McNally, Kim Berrell against Victoria Golobch and Maya joint against Sarahonica Staya. Three of those are entrenched in the top one hundred now and it could be Maya joint versus Emmaavarro. Wouldn't that be something a big challenge for Maya, that would.
Speaker 3: Be it would be interesting to see how she handles that return game of Navaras.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the other one we're keeping an eye on. You've been really watching this on social media. An interesting video that surfaced overnight of the Curios practicestion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just seems that he's having some more risk issues, which is a shame for him because he's obviously been on the roads recovery. We saw him and come back a bit and Brisbane strain open. But it looks as though there's since been reports that it's just nickli it's not as bad as what it seemed in his practice video. But I suppose the jury is out what we see happen with him when he plays. I think it's six am tomorrow our time here in Australia, so my gut feels that he will play, but it'll just depend I suppose what's actually happening there, which we don't know.
Speaker 5: He looked in a lot of pain, a lot of pain.
Speaker 1: Baltic funds On Scrup is the opponent for Nick first round, So first of all, how do you think he'll he'll handle the Dutchman if he indeed takes the court.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lucky loser, but again a very good plan. We saw him play Alex demon Our first round here at Melbourne and gave Alex a real run for his money. I think Nick will play as well. I agree with Brie, and the reason is I feel like he really wants to play that second round against Novak Djokovic. I feel like, as we know, Nick is a big time player, a big match player over the years, and he always lifts as well, and Novak and him are apparently best mates now, so current doubles partners as well or form of I partners, I should say, and I just feel like but as you said, Nick was in a lot of pain with that wrist, and I just feel like the wrist is one of those ones. If it's hurting one day, it's going to be sore the next day as well. So I'm not sure what it's hurting on in terms of what stroke or if it's the serve, but he's played great there in the past as well. The condition suit his serve, so he could come out and win it in straight sets, very fast and sort of preserve his energy. I assume he's going to try and do that, play super aggressive, and as I said, I feel like he wants that match against Novak Djokovic. I'm not sure how much longer Nick's going to play at this rate with the injuries. Unfortunately, is such a good player, but he just can't sort of stay on the court at the moment.
Speaker 1: So it'll be Djokovic possible second round, and Djokovic may all have to play Alex demon Or if he gets through to the fourth round. Djokovic leading that head to head two to one. But I asked you Levi the mathemagician to cast and I over our projected quarterfinal because what we might see here is a rematch of the Australian Open quarterfinal between Djokovic and al Karez, which Djokovic now leads five to three.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you asked because I had to look at the numbers, and you know it, it was really interesting because oftentimes when you look at some of those matches, sometimes it's like the data nothing stands out. But in that match, the last eight er match, if your al Karez don't serve to Novak's backhand on the ad court, because he lost something like sixty seven percent of those points, and when you look at like the far out out wide on the backhand, that number jumps up to like seventy eight on seven second serve. So he was just really struggling to win his second serves against Novak, particularly on the backhand. So I started thinking, okay, well why would that be? And we have this metric to kind of gauge what your serf toask looks like in terms of your variation, and Carlos has a lot of variation on that second serve, which could mean that Novak's reading it really well. And so when it's coming to that backhand he's kind of anticipating it and then putting Carlos on the back foot. So in terms of a data perspective, that's what I have. I think that Carlos really has to change up that second serve and try to do something different with it, because it didn't work out for.
Speaker 1: Him at the AO.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately.
Speaker 4: I'm a little bit surprised with that because they've played a number of times and Djokovic has got maybe the best two handed back end in history, so I'm a little surprised he would serve there so often, especially if he's losing those points and losing a big percentage of those. I'm picking our Cris to get through. Sorry Alex, who's also in that section, and I'm just looking at the sections now, and very tough one for Alex's draw there to have Djokovic in his fourth round into our Kraaz, So not a friendly little draw being given there for Alex. But I think it's I just love these Master Series. They're just so stacked and you get some fourth round You're like, wow, that is nails. So it's exciting to see Djokovic back competing and look forward to seeing how the Fortnite shapes out.
Speaker 1: What about for the women. You look at some of the projections there, bri who are you looking forward to seeing as early as in the second round.
Speaker 2: I quite like the look of Cocoa Goff and Emma Radikanu. Emma's been playing some better tennis, so I think that'll be good. Chinwen and Azarenka, just because I like both of them, I think that'll be quite a good match up as well. And then obviously Sabs and Paulini two of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about favorites then. I think Danny was picking Saba Lenka in that segment before Luke, who John off the page for you from a women's perspective. As potential finalists. You look at the four quarter finals projections there with the top eight seeds.
Speaker 4: I'm really liking swire Tech to get through to the semis. There such a strong head to head record on Jean. Another one is that fourth round Rebakiner Andreva one all in the head to head, and after Andreva's big win in the Middle East, winning that one thousand event, I think that is blockbuster that match, so very much looking forward to that one. Sabal Anka, I think, after for her standards quite a disappointing stretch after the Aussie Open. I think she's ready to bounce back as well. So I'm going to pick Sablanca and GoF in one semi and then swire Tech to get through to the final in the other half.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Andrev and Bree. While you're away, she was doing some incredible thing.
Speaker 6: I was really sad to not better talk about her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think my little favor.
Speaker 1: I don't think semi final is beyond Andreva here and I can see her getting past her. Bikener and Pagola would be the next opponent for in the quarters. I reckon she's got it.
Speaker 4: In her for sure. I mean, she's an amazing player, only getting better and fast, improving very fast, and only seventeen years old. Amazing player. Loved her speech, love her attitude and her mindset, and I think she's future world number one, multiple Grand Slam winner, and so exciting for the women's game because I think she's a great personality and fantastic player.
Speaker 1: Of the American contingent because they've just been so strong.
Speaker 5: It's an American I want to hear that.
Speaker 1: Because they've got so many in the door. There there are who's your favorite?
Speaker 3: You know, I'd love to see Madison Keys think it. I think she's on such a heart streak right now. Would be really cool to see her get in an Indian Wells title as well.
Speaker 1: So Coco Goth v Keys in the quarter final.
Speaker 3: I think that would be a black buster match that would sell out quite well, and so it would be really cool to see that go go through.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to that. Before we get to Ace of the week, our men's predictions. Just quickly, it sounded like al Karazin Zverev are the two favorites among those on the ground. Zverev, of course, had a little bit of a food poisoning scale last week that may or may not have caused his demise in Akapulco. Do you see z Vera bouncing back here? There's other big names as well in those top eight seeds, including Taylor Fritz at three and Medvedev at five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think yeah. Zverev is definitely looking for a bounce back, no doubt. Danil Medvedev at the sorry as the fifth seed, been struggling a little bit for his standards, and he's usually played well there in Indian Wells, making the final last year, so I think he's definitely a floater as well. Taylor Fritz has played great there as well in the past, and as I said before, there's just so many great players in these Master Series draws for our Karaza condition suit him so well there, So I will take our Cries there to win the tournament.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like Relev getting through the final. I'm always on, but he's in the quarter with Fritz. I think he's in enough form that he can topple the format former champ, right, Taylor Fritz, Yeah, he won a few years back. Bray, Who do you like in the men?
Speaker 2: I think, do you know there's a couple I've been playing with I reckons Verev or Sister Pass? Like, could sister pass be Zverev Pass is in good form?
Speaker 5: He could?
Speaker 9: Ye?
Speaker 5: Maybe we is?
Speaker 2: Yes, he is, So that could be great to see. I wouldn't mind Fritz winning it again because I feel like he's just teetering on the edge of something like that again.
Speaker 6: But I feel like it'll probably be our.
Speaker 1: Cries and LEVI. Who do you like Fonseca?
Speaker 6: We all like Fonseca.
Speaker 3: I was able to go out and watch a bit of his match against Snego and that was just so fine, and so i'd I have to see him go deep. I'm not sure how far he would he would go. Obviously it's stacked, there's a lot of great players coming, but it would be really cool to see him go go pretty foreign to that tournament.
Speaker 1: He's got Jacob Fernley, who is responsible for Curios's demise here in Melbourne. First up and then second round would be against Jack Draper, who has the Buyers the thirteenth seed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that would be a pretty interesting matchup because I think I think Fonsaca has the game where he could push Jack Draper. Obviously, Jack Draper has a little bit more experience and perhaps that would factor into it, but from what we saw here at the AL, he's definitely a contender absolutely well.
Speaker 1: Just getting underway in Indian Wells day one as we record this episode, so we'll be up to the quarterfinals by next episode. But I won't be here, Bri. You know you'll have a new co host.
Speaker 5: I will.
Speaker 1: Do you know who it is?
Speaker 6: I do?
Speaker 1: Do you want to share it with the Yes.
Speaker 6: We are having our head of original content Zave.
Speaker 2: I can't say it's last name will be filling your very large shoes to fill.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually was musing about this with my team earlier today about.
Speaker 6: Like, is he going to do the prep?
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see. I think he's going to do the prep. But our produces out R and d team out the back and doing a world of good.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be a lot of fun because yeah, Save comes with his own sense of humor.
Speaker 5: And you will be missed though, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Forward to having you back yeh on parentally from tomorrow. So I'll be gone for the next four episodes, but rest assured I'll be tuning in for quality control and look will be here next week before a lengthy sabbatical. It's not really a sabbatical, but you'll be offshore, won't you.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm going to Europe for two and a bit weeks with our best twelves and four nanes juniors in Australia and we're going to shadow Alex demon Ar for a week or so over there and as part of the Alex demon Ar Foundation and his push to help aspiring juniors. So again, fantastic from him. And then I'll join back up with Dasher for Madrid and the start of the clay, so an exciting period for me.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a busy front half of the year for you. Well, let's transition into ace of the week. We share a highlight, Bri, have you got one?
Speaker 2: I do, so my highlight is that I've started back playing tennis with a friend. We've just been hitting twice a week and I'm loving it full stop.
Speaker 1: That is your friend a good player or similar to you, and.
Speaker 2: We're both The reason why similar to the reason why I'm not joing playing with him, is because he also hasn't been playing lots for the past ten years, so we're both rusty. So we both just go and hit the ball and laugh a lot. But every time we hit.
Speaker 6: We're getting better.
Speaker 1: You hit down here in TC or no.
Speaker 2: We've been I live near Forkner Park tennis court, so we've been hitting there. I also have like a broken toe, so it's a bit soft to play on those courts versus the hard courts here. But we will transition out to the hard courts now.
Speaker 5: I'm back at work.
Speaker 1: Nice Well, if you run into Luke Savely can probably get a few tips as well.
Speaker 4: Hit by. Come on, I'm over the NTC let me know, when you're free, let's hop on an indoor.
Speaker 1: We'll get a camera on that. Definitely get a camera on.
Speaker 6: That'd be good for the lolls.
Speaker 1: LEVI your ice of the week.
Speaker 3: So I'm not sure if this is an Australian wide thing or just a Melbourne specific thing, but I recently discovered there's Steak Night where they have steak nights at pubs, at pubs.
Speaker 6: It's Australia wide. Oh my god, have we been here for I.
Speaker 3: Haven't traveled much, you know, I've just been hunkered down on the data side your house. But I was finally able. My partner and I went out to Steak Night and it was really nice and so.
Speaker 5: We're going to make it a tradition.
Speaker 1: What sauce do you have? You get the mushroom, the garlic or the greater pepper.
Speaker 3: They're actually just this is new to me as well. It was just mustard. So it was you know, seeded mustard and hot hot mustard. And so I had hot mustard for the first time with steak and I have to say it was delicious. Yeah.
Speaker 6: That's a very French slash Dutch kind.
Speaker 5: Of not Australian.
Speaker 2: So I needed well, the mustard necessarily is that we usually go for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, see, I still have a lot to learn.
Speaker 6: What pub did you go to?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 3: It was called like Marble and Crate or something like that.
Speaker 1: I didn't find it. But they specialized in steaks though.
Speaker 3: That would make sense with the name.
Speaker 2: But pubs do have a steak night though, just to let you know. And parma and yeah and parma.
Speaker 1: So yeah, money's pronunciations Australian boy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm from New South Wales.
Speaker 5: It's is it really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I get it on paper it makes sense parme, but just doesn't sound as good. So I'm gonna o that. So you're of the week.
Speaker 4: I will transition away from tennis and looking forward to the footy season, so the Australian rules football for all our international listeners, cult and supporter. So starting the season with high hopes, not sure finish. I'm not sure you'll finish the season or even halfway through. I'll have the high hopes. But going to their first game next Thursday night here only a few hundred meters away at the MCG against Richmond, so colleague umpiring that match, Oh yeah I know, Rob, So just looking forward to that and it's excited to get to a few more games this year.
Speaker 1: Nice me too. It is also one of my Ace of the Week nominations. But I suppose it can't top the fact that next Tuesday is the expected delivery days oh my God, for our daughter. So yeah, just five days away and my life's about to change completely.
Speaker 6: How exciting do you think should be? On time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a what do you call it in? It's a planned one. We could get bumped, of course, but coming off a lot of weekend planned yeah, so looking forward to that. But next time you see me, you'll probably have a few more grays and few more bags under the eyes.
Speaker 5: So exciting though, but it's been fun.
Speaker 1: We're also coming up to episode three hundred after the Easter break, so wow. Yeah, we'll do something special when I'm back in the chair sort of towards the end of April. But yeah, as we said, Xavier, Muellerbach and Brie will be steering the ship with our ever rotating panel of guests. LEVI, thanks for joining us again, the Mathemagician, thank you guys for having me. Sav We'll see you again, well, the panel, We'll see you again next week.
Speaker 4: Thanks John and good luck to you and your wife mate.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much and to all the listeners as well, thanks for your support. Join the team again next week For more of the Tennis Don't Forget. You can watch this episode and all past episodes of the Tennis on the Australian Open YouTube channel. You can also subscribe while you're there to stay across the tennis all year long. Have a great week in tennis, have a great month in tennis, and I'll see you on the other side.
Speaker 6: Thanks Jo, Hey,