Speaker 1: Do you know what your cholesterol is? Or when was the last time that you had a blood test? On today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we chat all things cholesterol, What the numbers mean, when you need to pay attention to your actual cholesterol and when is it time to take some action. I'm Leanne Wars and I'm Susy Burrow, and together we bring you The Nutrition Couch, your weekly podcast that keeps you up to date with everything that you need to know in the world of nutrition as well as all things cholesterol. We tackle the issues circulating on social media of protein powder versus skim milk powder. We've also found a beautiful new dip we think our listeners will love. And our list of question today is all about kids' diets and how strict is too strict when it comes to our kids nutrition. Like to kick us up today, Susie, we are chatting all things cholesterol. What if you got for us today? You get a nice case study it just kick us off with.
Speaker 2: So I think you know, going back land twenty years that was sort of the number one test that everyone got done, wasn't it to check or infer heart related health? And we would monitor our cholesterol levels, and we were told we shouldn't have too many eggs because they contain cholesterol levels and all of the aboves. So I think cholesterol is certainly relevant. It's a predictor, a positive predictor of heart disease risk. I think the issue, particularly for women, is that going back again ten twenty years, what would happen is with the rise of statin drugs, which are cholesterol lowering medication, and heart disease was for a long time, if not still a stayor's greatest predictor of death. You know, it's a risk of death, whether it's heart disease, stroke, up disease related illness. So doctors would look if you've had high cholesterol levels and in many cases suggest that you take a statin drug which would significantly reduce the cholesterol being taken in by the blood and reduce heart disease risk. Whereas now, like all areas of medicine, we're learning a lot more and we know that it's not just about cholesterol levels. It's about what we call the ratios of good to bad cholesterol in the blood stream, and also things like classification score, which is how hard or sort of rigid arteries are as well as family risk factors, because it's quite possible for people to have high circulating cholesterol levels, no damage to the arteries, no positive family history, and that may not warrant medications. So it's not a case of it's high, get it down. It's really looking at the overall risk. But the numbers that we tend to look at are a total cholesterol level, and that ranges between about three point nine and five point two, So a lot of women will sit sort of five point two five point six lesson six, and that may not be a concern, particularly if your LDL cholesterol levels, which are the sort of enflame bad cholesterol, is relatively low. So it's recommended that LDL cholesterol be below say two million miles per later and not heading above three. So you might have a total high cholesterol level, but your LDLs are relatively low, and as such it may be deemed that that's not a signay at risk. And that can be the case for people who have got high levels of what we call HDL, which is the high density of proteins, which is what we know is the good cholesterol, and that basically helps to rid the artery of the sticky damaging LDL cholesterol and predictors of high HDL cholesterol or high levels of physical activity. So people who are athletes or doing a lot of training can have high HDL levels over too, which is basically a very protective measure of cholesterol in the blood. And then you have triglycerides, which can be an independent risk factor, and certainly there are some people genetically who can have incredibly high triglyceride levels in the hospital. If you've ever worked at a lipid clinic that might be managing someone who's got those very high triglyceride levels. It's generally recommended that triglycerides would be less than one. Now it's about the overall risk, But I think the message for our listeners today, yes, you should be getting a blood cholesterol level done annually, absolutely, and what we're tracking, similar to blood glucose levels, increases over time. So if your cholesterol has always sat at six, it doesn't change. Your LDLs aren't overly high, your hathgls are hopefully close to two, you wouldn't do much. But what we want to pay attention to, particularly through your forties and beyond, is when your LDLs start to increase, because that is an early warning or early sign that perimenopause is kicking in. Your estrogen levels are lowering over time, and as that's your insulin, glucose and cholesterol are creeping up, and that's certainly a time to act because if you can prevent that and reduce the information in your body by doing things like including ten serves of leafy veggies and fruit each day, consuming the positive ratio of good fats to bad fats, minimizing your intake of fatty meat process meat, increasing your intake of amega three fats from oily fish, perhaps utilizing a product like a plant steril milk or even a plant sterol supplement that you can get in in health food stores and in pharmacies, which is a plant sterol in a capsule form. You may successfully be able to reduce your own cholesterol by as much as ten to twenty percent, which is what the data shows, and for you, that may be enough to keep that LDL level under control. And then following on from that, if you do start to see cholesterol levels increasing, you would get a calcium score done and a referral for that to see if there is any damage happening to the arteries. And on top of that, you would discuss with your GP where the medication was necessary. Now, if there's a positive family history, for example, it may be pertinent prudent to use a satin drug. If a cholesterol is significantly raised around the sevens to eight, even with no calcification, it may be deemed prudent to try statin medication. So these are all the things to consider now. In my clinical experience, it's rare that you can get someone who's got a cholesterol of seven or eight down to a normal level. Usually that's familiar hypercholesterol that's going to require often medication. It may be deemed you don't need it if there's no positive family risk, but that's certainly a discussion for a doctoral cardiologist. For me, in my clinical experience, if cholesterol is six or lower, that is when diet can help to get it into normal range. And all for the perimenopausal women whose LDLs are creeping up, it is possible to reduce them. But what I would want to be clear about is if your cholesterol is significantly higher, diet alone is unlikely to bring a cholesterol seven or eight down. It's more likely your livers churning out cholesterol genetically, and that's when you need to talk to the medical doctor to see what is the best management strategy. I think sometimes we're led to believe lean that we have full control over all these variables and eating a healthy diet will bring cholesterol, and I want to be very clear on the podcast that is not the case. Diet can get one or two points out, it can't get three or.
Speaker 1: Four or five.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't work like that. So I think being aware of that in general, also, particularly for our listeners, acting early and grabbing it when it's creeping up is the best thing to do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And it's really important that you know people particular our listeners don't feel any shame for having high cholesterol levels either, because, as you said, sometimes it is it is very genetic, you know, li linked and even if you have the best art in the world, you exercise like crazy, you eat so well, you can still have really high cholesterol. So just having high cholesterol in itself also isn't inherently a risk. But this is absolutely a discussion for your doctor because there are other tests that they can do, and I've certainly had many clients who have had genetically high cholesterol. My husband does as well. You know that their mums and dads have both had high cholesterol. It runs through the family, you know, And it's actually about looking at your risk factors. So David does have that genetic high cholesterol as well. No matter how well he eats, he's very fit, he's got a dietisin wife. His cholesterol has always been high. No matter what we've done. You know, We've tried adding in a ton of fiber, We've tried adding in a bit of klucan from the oats, We've tried all the different strategies and nothing really works, and it does continue to trend up over time. So the genetic risk is a huge thing. But when I said to him, to go back to your doctor and ask for the risk profile. So there's a couple of different tests that your doctor can run that essentially looks at despite you having high cholesterol, it looks at your overall risk of having what they call like an adverse you know, cardiac situation, basically a heart attack. And he did all of those tests and it basically came back that he had a less than one percent chance of you know, having something really bad happen from like a cardiac perspective. So the doctor was like, look, you're doing all the right things, keep going with them, but we will at some point need to look at getting you onto a stat and to start reducing your overall cholesterol. So I just think that that is really really important to keep in mind. And if you are someone that has done all the right things from a diet and a lifestyle and an exercise perspective, yet it hasn't really made a difference to your cholesterol, it is certainly a good time to go and have a chat to either your standard doctor or a cardiologist and actually come up with a really great game plan. And if that includes medication, then there's absolutely no shame in that. It's like any other type of medical disease as well, that some things are best managed with medication, but also diet and lifestyle can play, you know, a role alongside that as well. So I do think it's worth knowing that there are different tests that assess your risk based on different types of cholesterol markers, your age, your waste measurement, all these sorts of things as well. So if you haven't had that discussion with your doctor, it's probably a good time to go and get your risk assessed because it might, you know, just give you a bit of clarity and acceptance around potentially your high cholesterol level despite doing all the right things.
Speaker 2: And I think when it comes to food solutions, particularly if you've just got a slight elevation so you're sitting just in the fives or those sixes, I absolutely think it is worth trialing a plant sterol. A plant sterol is added to different foods, including some of the milk cereals, and consuming that every day has been clinically shown to help redges cholesterol by I think it's ten percent. But you've got to have the two to three grams of plant sterols daily. It's not enough just to do it occasionally. Now. I don't like the margarines. I don't think it's a positive health message adding in process that to get plant sterols. I think there are better options. And there are two milks I utilize frequently with clients. There is the Dairy Farmer's Heart Active milk, which is found in audi and both supermarkets, and then there's the Long Life Australia's own version which has also got the plant sterrels added and there's also a wheat Bix. So I think if you're a cereal eater and have milk regularly in coffees or smoothies or a cereal each day, or add a cholesterol owned wheatbis to your smoothie with some cholesterol lowering milk, that can be a very effective option. And if you don't consume those products, the next best is the plant sterol supplement that you can get. Black Mores have one which is called I've got it in front of me because I do tend to have a bit of high Cholesterolia Cholesterol Health is the Blackmore supplement that you must take it regularly. It's not enough to do it sporadically. So I think that is certainly worth a try for the individuals who find it is creeping out because it is clinically proven to reduce cholesterol. Buy as much as ten percent. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I'll just make one final point on the margarine because it makes me laugh that mum my dad has like slightly high cholesterol and mom buys him the margarine. What is it logical or floor or proactive one of them? But he takes like just the tiniest little scrap on the tip of his knife and puts it on, you know, with his vegimin. I've said to him, Dad, it's not going to do a thing unless you use the proper amount. And I said to him, don't buy it, get him something else because he's not using it, so he's not going to get the clinical dose. So it's something like a massive heat tablespoon of that every single day, which is not something as dieticians we want you to actively add into your diet, like more margarine. It's not a great thing. So if you are someone who does use that type of margarine at home, you're effectively just wasting your money because it's not cheap like it's goes to ten dollars or something at tub, isn't it. And unless you are using the clinical dose, which I believe is a good tablespoon or so a day, you're actually not going to get any benefits at all. You have to use enough of the clinical dose, is what we always say is dietitians when you're looking at different types of supplements, if it doesn't have the effective clinical dose in there, you're basically just wasting your money if you're not taking enough. So sometimes like Susie said, I recommend for my clients to have a range of the products, so they might have the week bigs one day, the hearts might milk another day. And then there's also a great fiber blend on the market that has the cholesterol lowering stuff in it as well. So there's a range of different products, but you do need to ensure that you are having them regularly, or as Susie said, there is a supplement version of it as well if that is your preference or you find that easier to take. But consistency, like creatine, it has to be daily or you're not going to get the full benefits from these cholesterol lowering options.
Speaker 2: True, true, true, true, All right, Leanne, there was a scandal online recently and we had a few questions from some of our clients when they had heard that protein powder, which we make under our design by Dietitians brand, had been compared to skim milk powder, suggesting that it was much more cost effective to swap out protein powdery your diet for skim milk powder, and straight away our tails started wagging because we instantly said, it's not the same thing. So we thought it's actually a topic that we haven't covered before on the Nutrition Couch, and I think that a lot of our listeners are interested because if you aren't familiar and have not used protein powder before, it can be a little bit confronting. So by way of background, I in my past life was a sports dietian and as a sports ditician, we would routinely use good quality protein. And when we talk about good quality protein, we're often referring to what Leanne and I use in our design by dietitians range, which is way protein isolate. And the reason that I always used it is that basically you can get twenty to thirty grams of the highest purest form of protein in a very small amount of food because when you're working with athletes, they don't necessarily have time or capacity to sit down to bucket and buckets of steak and chicken breast, particularly through the day. So that is what it is. Protein powder is nothing to be scared of. It is a pure form of concentrated form of protein in a very small amount of food. But leand it is not the same as skim milk powder, is it? Tell us why? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So we saw some comments online saying that skim milk powder is the same nutritionally as protein powder. And now all these comments saying, oh my gosh, this is amazing, what a great hauck. You know, I spend so much money on protein powder wise is so expensive, and so we think we just want to be very clear that skim milk powder can be a great option. Is it budget friendly? Absolutely? Are you going to get a small boost of protein from mixing in a bit of skim milk powder into your smoothie or something, Probably, But will you get the same amount of protein, same amount of calorie, same amount of carbohydrate from a good quality WPI. Absolutely not. And we need to be very very clear that they are fundamentally different things from a nutrition perspective because way protein isolate or what we call WPI as disese, that is a very concentrated form and as such, the carbohydrate, the sugar and the lactose content is sign magnificantly lower in a WPI than in a skim milk powder, and the protein is significantly higher. So a serve of skim milk powder and it is a budget from the option. You know, you can get a kill all of it for around I think eleven bucks or something at the shops, right, So a serve of that, which they're saying is forty grams on the packet is about one hundred calories, about just shy of nine grams of protein, so eight point seven grams of protein with thirteen and a half grams of carb and thirteen and a half grams of sure. So the sugars are naturally occurring. There's only one ingredient in skim milk powder, and that is skim milk, and so the sugars are naturally recurring. We're not concerned about that. But it does have overall thirteen grams of carbohydrate in there, and when you compare that to a good quality WPI, so I'm going to use our digestive pre and probodic protein from designed by dieticians. The serving size on the pack we say is thirty grams, and in that it's one hundred calories, so similar amount of calories, but twenty four grams of protein compared to the skim milk powder, which has just shy of nine grams of protein. So you simply cannot say subbing skim milk powder for a good quality WPI is the same amount of protein, because nine grams is not twenty four grams of protein. Does skim milk powder have protein in there, Yes, but it doesn't have obviously the same amount that a good quality WPI does have. Now, carbohydrate wise, is skim milk had thirteen point three grams of serve, whereas a good quality WPI has less than one gram of carbohydrate and less than one gram of sugar. And the other thing to really be aware of as well, is because WPI is very concentrated and a lot of that lactose is sort of strained off the case is taken off. It is very very low in lactose. I've had so many clients have said, you know, I can't tolerate dairy based protein. Yet they've tried out pre in probotic blend, which we've you know, especially formulated for digestive concerns with the added pre and proboiotics in it. It is also certified gluten free. We have external testing, so it's safe the celiacs. And of course it's very very low in lactose, not technically lactose free, but sitting just above that threshold of what is considered lactose free, so zero point three grams of lactose in there. So the majority of people who do struggle with theiry I am going to assume, would be absolutely fine with a good quality WPI. So that's the main difference is where it's significantly lower in lactose, significantly higher in protein, and also I would say significantly higher thirteen and a half grams of card versus one gram of carb. So if you're looking for something to really boost the protein up in your diet, but keep the carbs and the sugars a lot lower. Which lets be honest, most women in perry or trying to lose weight are or in menopause. They are looking for these things on an nuitution panel. This is the difference between a WPI and a skim milk powder. And do you pay more for it? Of course you do, because it's about what is it three or fours to one? Do you know what I mean? Like you're getting you would have to use about four times that skim milk powder to get close to the amount of protein that you get from a good quality WPI. And having said that, you would also get four times the carbohydrate. So Susie mass isn't my strong point, but four times thirteen is you know what I mean? You're getting upwards of forty to fifty gram of carb in that skim milk powder, and then you're having about four servings of it to get to that twenty plus grams of protein. So we're not banging on skim milk powder. It's a great product, it is very budget friendly, but it is fundamentally a very different thing to WPI, so you cannot use it in the same realm of comparison. It's sort of like saying, you know, this is an orange and this is apple juice, Like they're different products, but they're also they have very different applications. I would say, as well.
Speaker 2: It will it be like orange juice compared to beetroot juice, Like they're kind of similar, but they're not, you know, they wears orange and apple juices quite do what you please, do what you please with it. But we just wanted to really be aware that this is the reason that a good quality WPI obviously costs a lot more. And if your goals are.
Speaker 1: To really get in a good hit of protein into your breakfast routine or you know, have that good twenty thirty grams that we normally talk about through the afternoons, you really help control blood sugars and hormones and cravings. This can be a really really smart option, but there are certainly other options available as well. You know, three eggs, some chicken breads, a tin of tuna, some cottage cheese on crackers, there are many other ways that you can get protein powder in as well. But I personally find and you do as well as Susie, that as practicing dieticians, women are busy, so this is a very convenient option. A WPI is a convenient option to get a high quality protein amount for very low calories and very low carbohydrate and very low lactose as well. So if you struggle with yogurts and cottage cheese, perhaps this is a better option for you because it's just better tolerated from a digestive health perspective. So do what you want with that. But we just wanted to cover it on a segment because we haven't talked about it before, and I think it is really good to sort of dispel some of these miss circulating online. So I think it's a great option. It's a booster for proteinskim milk if you will, you know it can boost you diet, but you know eight nine grams of protein. But we do know that the research is really supporting that women from a weight loss perspective or a hormonal perspective going through perimenopause really need upwards of thirty grams of protein per meal. So if you have other types of protein that meal and you want to add an extra nine or ten grams or the skim milk powder, that's a great option. But if you didn't have much protein in your meal to start with, you know, nine grams isn't going to get you up over that kind of thirty grams that ideally we look for for a lot of women when it comes to a breakfast, lunch, or a dinner meal. So do you want anything to say to round out that segment, SEUs.
Speaker 2: Or I just think it's a functional ingredient, Like I think, we want to be clear that whilst we do make protein powder, we're not making everyone use it. It's an ingredient that complements the diet. It's not a necessity. But what I find with busy women is that it just means that when they're making a smoothie, they've got a base. If I've got vegetarians, it might be that they can have a protein coffee in the afternoon. So it's just an alternity to eggs to meet all the time to get the highest quality protein. Now, of course there are plant based options available. Eventually we will make a plant based protein, but the reason that at the moment we have the WPI is it's the gold standard. It's the best quality, which is what it's expensive. So yeah, I don't think it's an all or nothing. You don't have to use it do. I use it probably twice a week. I don't use it all time, But it's just an ingredient that you can add to bump it off and in the case of our protein, tastes really good. So yeah, I think it's just getting some context around it, because if you haven't used protein before, it can be a bit confronting, but there's nothing to be scared about it. It's just basically concentrated milk protein and it is an option for people to bump up the protein content in their diet. So and I'll also just say quickly that we do have two blends available at design by dieticians as well. We have our Digestive Protein blend, which is safe for healthy, pregnant and breastfeeding women as well, so it's our sort of our family friendly blend word Hubby wants to take it like my husband takes it, David takes it, Chris uses it. It's a great all rounder from it protein perspective, it's got added pre and probotics for digestive help as well, and then we have our women, which is our protein for hormone support, so in that is obviously a high quality WPR, we actually also add methylated follow to help support thyroid health and function. We also add a serve of enoceotol and chromium which helps to support blood sugar regulation, and there is a three hundred milligram serving of calcium in there as well, which we know busy women often struggle to get in their diet through whole foods as well, So that is also why we do add some expension functional ingredients to our protein blends as well, so they are more expensive than what you would call a commercially available or a supermarket option of protein powder as well, and a lot of the supermarket blends will blend WPR with milk powder and WPC, so they're creating a blend whereas ours is all WPI. So it is the highest quality protein, which does mean that it is lower in lactose and a lot lower in carbohydrate in sugar as well then a lot of what the supermarket blends turn out. It's true. All right, onto other things in and it's time to talk dips. Because we are cheeky dip lovers, chiky cheese platter lovers, don't we.
Speaker 1: We love a good platter.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. And I can sit down with a girlfriend and have a champagne and a platter. Oh that is just what I'm happiest, isn't that. Oh? Anyway, we found a new dip. This is actually a listener request and I haven't actually seen it in audi, but I think similar to a number of dips, they're also the same as sink holes colds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's the goals.
Speaker 2: It's the Black Swan seasonal addition, Green Goddess dip, and Green Goddess got a lot of attention several years ago with a beautiful salad and you can still get that salad mix thing. It's got cranberries and some flaked almonds and things in it. And this is a dip that's been based on that. And like all things nutritional, if it looks green, it's surely.
Speaker 1: It's healthy for us.
Speaker 2: Lead So it's like a closer look at retails for four dollors fifty probably cheap Renaldi and the ingredient it's the first ingredient, yoget sixty five percent with milk, milk solids, multiplier culture, nine percent, avocado, pure water, vegetable oil, feta, mayonnaise, spring onion, lemon, juice, garlic, puree, salt, herbs, thickness, sugar, spice, preservatives, but in very small amounts, which is a very nice nutritional profile for a dip. I have to say. It comes in pretty low coal and a ten gram serve, which is very small to tea spoons. It's under one hundred kilogeels, which is just thirty calories. It is not low in fat overall, but pretty low for a dip. So it's fourteen percent fat, and that's compared to say thirty forty percent for cream cheese type dips. And the saturated fat again not low but pretty good for a dip, so four percent per serve. Very low in carbohydrate and sugars, coming in eight percent carbohydrate overall and pretty low in sodium two at four ninety five milligrams per hundred, which comes in at less than one hundred milligrams per serve. So I would give this dip a ten out of ten. It's one of the healthiest sticks out there, with the exception of something that's you know, really high percentage avocado. It's actually pretty low calorie. I haven't tried it, but I look at it and think it probably tastes pretty good and it would be up there with my top dips if you can find it and enjoy it. So whilst you can look at the ingredient list and see a few additives, overall, give it a sixty five percent yoga at nine percent avocado, so over seventy percent sort of whole food ingredient. It's one of the best dips you can find, so big fan of it. I like it a lot land if you tried it.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't tried it, but I like it a lot too. I'd give it nine out of ten, which is, you know, very strong still just because you know, there are a couple of emulsifiers and you know, thicknose colors that kind of thing added. But overall, like you said, the ingredient Liss is very very strong. I do love that it's dray made. I also do love that it's gluten free, so for our CILIAC listeners, that's a massive positive. The allergens in the dip of milk and egg, so just be worried of that if you have different types of aligen needs. But otherwise I would think it tastes really good, Like on a base of sixty five percent yogat, it's going to be creamy, right. But my only hesitation would be the serving size of ten grand. It's like, who's eating two teaspoons of dip? Like we're eating a few tablespoons? Come on like, particularly if it tastes good, right, So don't be fooled by the nutritional information panel like the preserving Let's be honest, isn't that accurate In a real world situation, I would happily eat probably at least a third of that container. But I think that as far as dip goes, this is certainly one of the better options. And look, I hope it sticks around. We see this all the time where really wonderful products come in, nobody buys them, and they're gone off the shelf two three months later. So Nutrition Couch community get behind it. It's one of the good ones. I think Blackswan have done a bit of an update in terms of their dip range because I'm just looking at coals and there's a buffalo ranch, which I'm going to assume is probably not the healthiest one, same with the creamy ranch. But there's also a beech root, a bubbaga, nush, a hummus, a ziki, a roasted garlic, a spring onion, and a spicy capsicum and a lower fat spicy capsicum. So they've done a bit of a dip refresh I think lately, and they've got some good options in there. But I certainly will be buying this to try. It does look very tasty, and I do like that it has a basive yoga to add that cream inniscin, because a lot of dips out there do have a base of basically like cream or it's spoiled, don't they. That's sort of the top ingredient and a lot of dips out there, So the fact that it's a whole food ingredient as the first ingredient is something that we'd love to see as dieticians.
Speaker 2: All Right, Anne, to finish us off today, we have a listener question which is all about am I being too strict with my kid's food? So our listener is written in to say that she was at a party and she was actively limiting the number of lollies that her kids were eating, and her in laws had a goal at her that she was being way too strict and going to give her children an eating disorder. Are we fairly strict with our children the ann or on the laissez fair side of parenting?
Speaker 1: You do tell? I think we're sort of somewhere in the middle. We're in the nice middle. I like to think, well, I think that's a hard one, right, because I mean, children are going to develop eating disorders. It's everywhere. It's online, it's on social media. They're learning about dieting from their peers. I don't believe that limiting lollies at a party is going to actively give you your child in eating disorder. I also don't think a lot of the grandparents they kind of forget, you know, they're not there doing the witching hour at nighttime. They're not there when you're trying to get a screaming toddler into bed, you know, for the next two hours. Because they're high on sugar after a party. So I personally do I don't limit my kids, but I say to my kids say, Okay, that's probably enough. Guys, why don't you go choose a sandwich or a piece of fruit or something. I'll say, there's some beautiful grapes over there, why don't we go try that. I think that it's fine. I think I would have more of a problem if they were saying they can't have any like it's off limits. And I'll give you a little not a case study, but a little example where a friend of a friend of mine came to me for some advice because she said, my friend, who's a mum, is too strict. What can I say to her? And she was saying at the party, you know, she doesn't ever allow the kids to have cakes. She brings her own homemade like low sugar gummies. And when the cake gets cut up and served, she says to the kids and not allowed to have any cake. These are your gummies. She doesn't let them touch anything. Then I'll add the fairy bread. They can't have the tiny dirties, the cookies, and I'll add anything. So she brings them a box of veggies, sticks, some berries, and basically some homemade gummies. So I would think, in my personal opinion that that probably is a little bit too strict, because then she went on to say, and then she saw that little boy hiding under the table, scoffing. Dorito's trying to hide from his mum. So I think that those kind of when it is a bit too strict, it can backfire. But I don't think that there's any problem personally. It's putting boundaries on your kids, and it's not sort of saying that you're ripping it out of their hands, but it's sort of redirecting them in the moment because kids don't do well with too much sugar. It's not good for their teeth, it's not good you know, it's not good for the hyperactivity you're going to get at bedtime a few hours later. Like I certainly will encourage my children to go more for the whole food options. But when the cake gets cut, of course I'll let them have some of the cake. But if they're going to churn through packets of tiny teddies and lollies and biscuits, and then you know, I know that they want the cake later, I'll just remind them, hey, guys, don't forget we've got the cake coming. Do we want to have a bit of frusis there and something to fill our tummy up a little bit more. So we have a lot of discussions in our household around my kids are still a little right two, and they'refore around what foods fill us up more and what foods are more of our treat kind of foods. And they have that understanding that they know that if they have a packet of crackers or tiny teddies doesn't fill.
Speaker 2: Them up very much.
Speaker 1: But if they have a sandwich, a meatball, you know, a bit of chicken or something with some spinach, that fills them up a lot more and gives them that longer lasting energy. So I think we can do it in the right way, but I don't personally believe. I mean, we don't have a whole lot of context of this that the listener was being too strict, And I think it is difficult sometimes with you know, grandparents' family friends. But at the same time, they're not there. They don't know how your kids respond to sugar. They don't know what the bedtime routines like, they don't know how much other sugar the kids had in the day. They could have started off the day with the stewberry milkshake and already got a ton of sugar in, so they don't know the context of the whole situation. So I think it is important to hold your boundary and be firm with that if you know that that is something that your children and your family will do better with longer terms. So if you ask me black or White, were they being too strict? My answer would be no. I kind of feel that to me, that sounds like good, you know, gentle parenting. They haven't restricted completely, but they've also put a little bit of a boundary or a limit on their children, and I personally do the same as well. What do you think.
Speaker 2: I think ultimately how you run your family is completely up to you. You know, there'll be some people who have treats regularly, there'll be some who limit it. That comes back to our early programming. So the first thing I'd say is that it's completely up to you. I think if I was judging it on it and eating disorder spectrum, first of all, we want to be clear, you can't give your kids an eating disorder. It doesn't quite work like that as a complicated mix of biology, genetics, environment. It's not as simple as that. But what I would say is that generally speaking, when we're talking about disordered eating, if you can't fit into activities of daily living, that's when it's an issue. So in this context, I would say, you basically want your kids to be to go to a party and be normal kids. Now you may have a child who needs more monitoring. So I've got one child who could give or take the sweet style, and I've got one who will sit and guzzle if I let them. So if I'm just mindful at that event, that I might say to my child who's more likely to indulge enough, you've had enough. I don't say you can't have it, but I say you've had enough. I personally have quite strict girls on soft drink, and I will actively say no soft drink, and I'll say that to a pot a party, but in general other then let them have lollies or cake or whatever. So I think that you want your kids to be able to be normal children. What is normal. Normal is going to a party, Normal is having you know, a cake on your birthday. But then when it gets down to the more nitty gritty of more regular treats. Yeah, I think it's okay if that assuits you to be stricter for a range of reasons. So I would be thinking, what do normal children do. Normal children do go to a party and indulge a bit, But because as you've described, you don't want to have the kid who's stuffing their face full of lollies and sweets and hoarding. And I see all the time here at a birthday party recently, my boys turned ten and I went to Costco and I got like a big box of those sort of multi pit chocolates because it was a lot more cost effective, and I just put them around the house. And there were a couple of kids who shoved chocolates in the whole night, whereas the bulk of them had a few and then got sick of it. And some didn't have money at all. And that's the normal bell cot of eating behavior. That's what I would expect, but I would be putting money on it. The kids who are stuffing their face the whole time probably didn't have a lot of access to chocolates, whereas I actually have chocolates around my house all time because I grew up at a house we didn't, and I think it does make you more obsessive with food. And I want it to be neutral that my kids are not just eating it because it's there. They're eating it at a time and they actually want it, and they're just as likely to grab a carrot. So I think that works for me and each to their own. Some people might find you don't want to have it and you bring it in once a week. It's your personal rules. But I think that is sort of a reference point. What do normal children do and how can we emulate that to not create the heightened obsession with food that fuels when people feel overly restricted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, some great points. So hopefully that gives that listener a few things to think about. But as you said, it is very individualized. It is you are the parent. You get to decide what your children and what the family does, and what the rules are and the boundaries are. But don't feel guilty for setting you know, boundaries or family rules that are going to work for your family. That's probably the bottom message, where only you know the correct thing in terms of your children and what they need in the time. All right, So that brings us to the end of the nutrition catch for another week. Thank you for listening, and if you are interested in some of our scientifically formulated supplement options, we've got a range of creating collagen magnesium with what, our brand new hydrate range, and of course our digestive and women's hormone protein blend. Find the map designed by dietitians dot com. Thank you for listening and we'll catch you next week.
Speaker 2: Have a great week.