Speaker 1: Quest. Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast. Will you be able to write now when it's convenient and safe? But get on with it. Go have a look at the moon. Don't tell me that isn't ripe. Oh, no, astronomer, I don't think that's the right word. But the layman on myself, it just looks very bountiful and right today, like a shiny old apple in nana's garden. Plump, plump, that's it. Yeah, Lee's this sema of the show, Christian. I'm very happy to tune this morning here you guys. Do we the moon this morning? As me and my partner were all struck by it? Great word, that moonstruck all struck by it this morning and after the amazing sunset yesterday, Like Patsy said, we've even gone on our phones and have sent you the photos. Lee. These are actually great photos. She sent me two photos. One of the view I don't know if this is someone's garden or your garden, Lee, of their sunset yesterday, and then of the I don't even call it moon but rise, but the moon this morning, which has a beautiful red glow. Wherever you are today anyway, Jack and Rio. I challenged on John and Jimmy Barnes, and they go online and come back with some moon facts. Because when you think about it, and we never do you do when you were a kid, right, I used to get my binoculars. Right, They used to go bird watching with We'll come back to another time. I would moon mode and try and convince myself that I could see people. They're waving at me a lonely child.
Speaker 2: Is it interesting that they'd never go to the moon anymore? So they have this do.
Speaker 1: You think they saw something up there? And like, get back in that module.
Speaker 2: Don't say, let's just anything, just this.
Speaker 1: Never talk of this again form packed.
Speaker 2: Because after Neil and Buzz went there in nineteen sixty nine, they would wake up sheep.
Speaker 1: I mean there's going to be someone they always whenever you say this, there's always some smart ghosts. Or did they wake up sheep? Pete Evans had joined.
Speaker 2: Us, Well, let's assume they did. Then they went a bunch more times, I think until the early seventies, and then.
Speaker 1: Then just stopped, stopped the race to the Moon. It was all about that. They spend billions on it and then never since Now, what is about Mars. Why do they want to go there? A lot Muskie and Basil still the billionaires. That's not the VIP club, is it? The rest of us is going to end up slapping around on the Moon pointing here sunny all year round. It's like a giant cruise ship in this solar system that's gonna be freezing on the Moon. What have you found out about the Moon?
Speaker 2: Then let's do a fact off a moon off the footprints left on the Moon by astronauts. If we believe that they were actually wake up moonham will virtually remain unchanged for millions of years because there is no erosion from atmosphere.
Speaker 1: Are we going to live up there? Because we're going to ruin it? If we'll keep wondering around, it's going to look so going to rake that over?
Speaker 2: True. If you can't find someone and somebody.
Speaker 1: That, it's going to drop people crazy out there to be awful.
Speaker 2: Where's Christian? I just follow.
Speaker 3: There is a man, Dennis Hope in California who technically owns the moon. The United Nations in nineteen sixty seven made a treaty called the Outer Space Treaty that said no country could ever own the Moon. But he found a loophole and said, well, no country could ever own the moon and put in official paperwork as an individual to own the moon.
Speaker 2: Who do you put the paperwork into the United Nations? I think and they rubber stamped it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I haven't got that far into the fact.
Speaker 1: Frank was a lot better.
Speaker 2: That's lease.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is actually really loose. Sorry, that doesn't even feel It doesn't even feel true either.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why they don't go to the Moon anymore, because it's like, well.
Speaker 1: He can't go in his backyard.
Speaker 3: You know what I don't understand about They say that the moon controls the tides, right.
Speaker 1: He produces and controls the tide.
Speaker 2: It's bullshit.
Speaker 1: But I don't understand now you sound like a I.
Speaker 2: Don't understand that either.
Speaker 1: You ever read about women's menstrual cycles. They're all controlled by the moon.
Speaker 2: But how does the Moon's gravity affect something is huge as.
Speaker 1: The not just the Moon's gravity, Earth also affects the moon's Well, it's the Moon is moving further away from us every single year by about an inch and a half. How does that? John Weddy can guys, because so you're gonna have to squint up there, and.
Speaker 2: So we won't have tides anymore because the moon will be too far.
Speaker 1: And presume to deal with its magnetic qualities. Say what you will. I won't if you crack the moon open, and please don't right if you crack the moon open, I think there's a giant magnet in it. And it's like what they want.
Speaker 2: What they wanted to believe is that the Moon's gravity is strong enough to pull the entire ocean closer and further away than easy.
Speaker 1: Moon, Please take it easy, Come on, anyone, Obviously there are people listening who are smarter than us. How does the moon produce and control the tides? Don't look it up? Does anyone actually know? The answers Patsy Do you know? No idea? It is on the radio.
Speaker 2: It's magnetic.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's embarrassing how little we actually know. There must people were smart than us out there who can tell us about the power of the moon. How does it control that and produce the tide? Nine one O four three?
Speaker 2: If you crack it open, is there?
Speaker 1: Please crack it at home? Please respect the moon. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast Christian an you guys talk about the moon apparently is responsible for our mood and sleep patterns as well. Moon's got a lot Yeah, not going on.
Speaker 2: I never sleep when there's a full moon. All the women in my family are the same.
Speaker 1: I can't just can't sleep.
Speaker 2: So even overnight could that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know why, just don't sleep? That would because it has such a gravitational pull on the oceans of the world. We are eighty percent water. So it understands that the Moon's flows and ebbs and waxing and waning and ebudence are going to have a problem with us or are we going to have a problem with the moon? Moon? Have we got a problem? Hey Moon? I just Google. By the way, this is a level of intelligence on this show today, right, How moon effect heights.
Speaker 3: With Google?
Speaker 2: You don't actually have to make a full sentence.
Speaker 1: Google must just going Apparently this guy has got radio show, one of the kind of more skilled ones they elected it to be on the radio. How Moon Effect tides? Telly White's one Effect English. But before I go to Google, I want to know what you guys think. Let's go do ros here. Good morning, Ross, Good morning Christian and Tim.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 1: I mentioned what you think? Then? Ros So the moon. We all know that it's responsible and producers the tide, But how do you think that is.
Speaker 5: I'm not too sure, but I'm I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with magnetic pool. Look Christian for any information on the Moon. I used to work at Science Works Planetarium, and the resident astronomers put together a monthly newsletter called sky Notes, and it'll tell you everything that's going to happen in the sky for that month. They also tied in with a little bit of history, like the first man who walked on the Moon, the anniversaries, well that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great. What do you do a sign Science Works for Ross?
Speaker 5: I used to being customer service. I've since retired. I've had two heart surgeries in the last I changed yea.
Speaker 1: Rough with the customers there. They're aready damaging your heart there on that Moonn't go to customer just right out about this, moan bullshit gay.
Speaker 2: Commonly held belief at Science Works is they definitely walked on the moon.
Speaker 1: Hey, so commonly hell belief is fat for it.
Speaker 2: So many times I'm saying they did.
Speaker 1: It sells selections that people that don't believe that o this thick just because you think it doesn't mean you're smart. One means you're thick. Did you have used to have any flat earths? That pantsy sort of people turning up there going? I understand how my lights I don't believe.
Speaker 5: All the time? Yea to your showers.
Speaker 1: Whatever you would set them off? I'm sorry, sorry, good? So what do you do now, Ross? Now you're retired, what do you like to do? Because you don't sound that old, you sound quite young.
Speaker 5: No, I'm off to England, Scotland, Ireland and Wiles at the end of next month.
Speaker 1: Lady, I'll be careful in Scotland. That'll set your heart off. They do not eat healthy up there. A lot of fried stuff, no vegetables, and not a lot of sunshine up there. Oh, doctor science what he's called Dr spock on skynse have a field day with those people up there. Get out in the sun, Scotland, piece of fruit.
Speaker 5: I'm enjoying life a lot more now and doing the things I've wanted to do.
Speaker 1: So do you know what, Ros, if you ever get bored, You've got a lovely way on that the way you talk to me. But you could be great for customer services here we get a few and a few we could do with someone that we could go hang on, just be transferred to Ross. Enjoy talking to you. Enjoy your European adventure as well.
Speaker 5: Oh well, thanks so much and.
Speaker 1: T thank you. We don't know anymore, though, do we? No? No, no no, just got me subscribe to a newsletter. Find out weeks time when he writes his latest missive sky notes, Catherine, good morning, how are you all? Can you see an your telescope?
Speaker 4: There's not much to see. One's brook a bit two covered up by sunlight. Now, unfortunately, what can you tell us about the power of the moon.
Speaker 1: So you're an amateur astronomer.
Speaker 4: I am an amateur astronomer and I teach young children about the universe and the solar system.
Speaker 1: Great, so you actually do have a telescope?
Speaker 4: I say, yes, I've got a six inch job.
Speaker 1: Sorry, we should do that phone one day anyway, say we can be rude as well, man. Anyway you've got you've got a six inch lens? Is it?
Speaker 4: I've got to sink you stop.
Speaker 1: Whatever it is. The wonders what they could do there if you want to anyway? Anyway, So through the telescope, what can you tell us about the power of the moon. What would if we were kids, why.
Speaker 4: Would you say how the oceans were heard gravity?
Speaker 1: Gravity?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so as they can mute and identified. It's okay. So everything is attracted by gravity. Gravity is the weakest force in the universe, but it attracts smaller things to it, which is why the Moon gravitates around, the Earth devitates around the Sun, and all the planets gravitate around the Sun as well.
Speaker 5: Us.
Speaker 4: Gravity also attracts things like water. So when the Moon and the Sun are lined up, the Earth tides are very very high because they attracted It's like gravity, gravitational force. And when the Moon and the Sun are on opposite side of sear, we have lower tides because the gravitational forces be needing that Dick, and even Jupids will affect us a little bit because it's huge and it has quite a gravitational pull as well.
Speaker 2: Now jupid it's involved.
Speaker 4: Goes the asteroids.
Speaker 1: Hidious, Oh wow, so it's like a it's like a guard planet. It is. It is, by the way, he's calling from inside a giant Avery, keep what are those birds? It's the bird Lady of Melbourne. It's got six one, gotcha? All right, Kathy, thank you very much. You cool.
Speaker 4: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's Show podcast