Speaker 1: Talkback Kings is where I bring the little bits of gold that I find when listening to talk back. Because you work in FM radio, you're very much stuck in your own little bubble.
Speaker 2: I am, And I have to say for those of you who will listening, we have a lot of overseas listeners which discovered FM and AM radio the two waves that the two wave bands we have. FM is where you have the pop music and the shows, and AM is talkback. Yeah, very little music, a very right wing, right leaning.
Speaker 1: Typically a lot older people listen to talk back, but there's plenty of people that are disinterested in using current affairs that are young that listen. But predominantly I think that's like, did they forty plus is who they have in mind there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, fifty sixty plus. But the thing is there's so many more shows and stations on AM that there's just more room for crazy.
Speaker 1: They have to talk all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to feel a talk break about Louis Tomlinson for a minute and I freak out.
Speaker 1: They talk for an hour on coal seam gas exactly and then.
Speaker 2: And a lot of them have a live stream camera streaming that do that, yes, on their sites I'm pretty sure two GB.
Speaker 1: Does bless you.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't even know what that means.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't even know that. Constantly on there is seemingly a relinking in the room that.
Speaker 2: I didn't approve.
Speaker 1: Today, we're not listening to John Laws. We're listening to the guy that does the night show on the same station to SM.
Speaker 2: So I'm competing with him.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he technically arrival at nighttime. So his name's Graham Gilbert. And as Wikipedia very generously phrases it, it says in two thousand and two, Gilbert's nighttime show on two SM scored a rating of zero point one in Sydney, the lowest rating ever recorded for a commercial program in metro market in Australia. Two of them subsequently withdrew from the Sydney radio ratings, So now they don't really have any way of knowing how many people do or don't listen. But he does get callers, He does get it, I'll tell you that. But unfortunately, most of those callers calling through to Graham Gilbert are prank callers. I don't know why he's just become a target for prank callers. I've done it before. I'm not gonna lie. Oh yeah, yeah, it's just so easy. He's such an easy target. He had a lot of them over the years. Most famously, I would say, would be the India prank calls.
Speaker 2: This is so so funny.
Speaker 1: I can't explain to you've heard it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard this.
Speaker 3: Have you heard Jenna? No?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I've got a quick example for you, just to hear that. So basically, people call in and troll him by answering every question he asks in his quiz with the answer India. Here it is.
Speaker 4: Question one which Australian gymnast won Commonwealth Games Goald in nineteen ninety and again in nineteen ninety four for his performance on the pommel horse India.
Speaker 3: I didn't think you were that done. I didn't think you were that done. Lincoln. That clearly I was wrong.
Speaker 4: Hello Thomas Graham, Yeah, mate, God.
Speaker 1: He's bloody idiots calling up again.
Speaker 3: Then that you'll have the answer. What do you think moment?
Speaker 1: India?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Thomas, it's bedtime.
Speaker 3: Now, off you go, Okay, off you go. Thirteen twelve sixty nine.
Speaker 4: Hello there, Marcus, Yes, yes, mate, have you got an answer for US India?
Speaker 3: Are you Marcus? Grow up, you grow up. Good on you boys are going to be one of those nights, Robert good evening.
Speaker 4: Hello Graham, Hello, not too bad mate, Sorry after all.
Speaker 1: That nonsense, could you repeat the question?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the question is mate. Which Australian gymnast won Commonwealth Games? Goald in nineteen ninety and again in nineteen ninety four that his performance on the pommel horse step on megaphone.
Speaker 3: Wasn't even clever mate, not even clever? Hello Ev him? Yes, who do you think it was?
Speaker 1: India?
Speaker 2: Eve?
Speaker 3: Don't fall for their silly games. Okay your match too nice for those?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love how he says. Oh another one of those nights. This must happen a lot.
Speaker 2: So what the fuck is a pommel horse?
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone actually knew the answer.
Speaker 1: Paul Eve just like, couldn't do it all I know? But who are these people? I've done so much research I cannot find out how the India call started, And I like, I don't know if they're still happening, but they've happened plenty of times. It's all over YouTube. But obviously he's aware of those prank callers. Often he just plays music because he gives up trying to do talk back. But some prank calls do slip through the cracks and he doesn't realize that they're a prank caller.
Speaker 3: I think I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: So this one that I'm about to play, someone called through and rather than talking to him, they just recited the lyrics to the family Guy theme song I've given you the themes one over there. It seems today that all you see is viole, you know, classic, but were it good or fresh? And and so someone called through with those lyrics to see if he would notice. He's how it went.
Speaker 4: Talk Tonight on thirteen, twelve sixty nine. Hello Brian, good.
Speaker 3: Even Graham, how are yes good?
Speaker 4: Thanks mate? It seems today that all you see is violence and movies and sex on TV. Right.
Speaker 1: Where are the good old fashioned values on which we used to rely.
Speaker 3: Well that's a good point, isn't it.
Speaker 4: And it's interesting that they've done a couple of surveys of late and people are not going to movies as much as they used to. And the reason they give is because of the unnecessary language, the unnecessary sexual scenes.
Speaker 3: And you're right, people are simply.
Speaker 4: Wanting to go back to movies where the whole family can go and it can be wholesome.
Speaker 1: We're lucky, there's the family guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Okay, good on you, mate. I thought he had more to say. Thirty and twelve sixty nine and talk tonight the.
Speaker 2: Best fuddy is and old fashioned values on which were used to like, couldn't agree more. The movies, the movies, the jars.
Speaker 1: It's awful, I know, right, And he took the baby, had no idea. And so the challenge is, because Graham Gilbert is so hyper aware of prank callers, is to try and slip through the cracks. So what you just heard, Mitch, I bet you're wondering why I asked to push back the recording time this week a bit later at night.
Speaker 2: My actual night show starts very soon.
Speaker 1: Yes I know. And Jenny, you've miss Lumba for this No Pump class and he's on seven till midnight, so there's like a two hour window and we are currently in that window. So I I was thinking, oh, do.
Speaker 2: You want us to to call in?
Speaker 1: I want you to call and like that person did recite some lyrics that sound like a conversation and see if he notices. So thirteen twelve sixty nine is the number? Get it ready?
Speaker 2: I don't think I can.
Speaker 1: You knew this was coming though, Like I you act so like, oh, you're gonna make me do this. But like every time we do talk back things, I always came to make you do something. I'm like, what have you looked from that? You do it? You do something off the back of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, if you give me the lyrics, I'll do it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: A couple of the ones that I thought of were Partying in the USA by Miley Cyrus. Here's the lyrics.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so just say hello ready, good mate? Oh Graham, I hopped off the plane at l As with a dream and my cardigan. Welcome to the Land of Fame excess.
Speaker 3: Oh am, I gonna fit in.
Speaker 1: It's the rhyming is too obvious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of that, So then I jumped in Graham, here I am for the first time.
Speaker 3: No, you right, I can't do that.
Speaker 1: The other one, another one I came up with, was all Star by smash Mouse.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, do you want to try? So?
Speaker 1: You know that song from Shrek Jenner? Yes, yeah, so I talked to Night Graham, Gilbert Good Evening Graham.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me, Andy Graham on the first tour of mine. I ate the sharper still in the shep. She was looking kind of damn right with her finger and thumb.
Speaker 1: I reckon. That one's okay. That one's better than the party in the rhymes, though the rhymes throw us off. Yeah, do you reckon, Jeneral, Let's go with that one. Can you think of any others? No, that one's the best. Yeah, it's better than anyway.
Speaker 3: No, I've got it. I've got one.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't want to tell you what it is, but I've got one. What is it?
Speaker 2: I don't want you to know.
Speaker 3: God, I mean three thousand stuff over a long period of time. Talk tonight. Your name please, Vern, you're on here. Vern. What did you want to say? Mate?
Speaker 2: I just wanted to talk about ancestry dot Com and genealogy. Yeah, very quickly, Grahame, you wouldn't believe it, but I just took a DNA test and turns out I'm one hundred percent that bitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah that sounds right, Vern, So, oh my god, he.
Speaker 1: Didn't take the bait at all.
Speaker 4: Burned.
Speaker 1: I don't know where it came. So that was what was Wait? Which song was that again? I can't remember what.
Speaker 2: Let me get it, Lizzo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. It's a lizo lyric classic your he caught up with last week Dragon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my bff, miss.
Speaker 1: You can only play five seconds. That's around five seconds that I just took a DNA test. Turns out I'm one hundred person. Oh my god. I like the time with the ancestry dot Com. Yeah, I've just been an ancestry like. That's that's how I wanted his old Bard callers would start. You wouldn't belave it. I found the internet, said ancestry dot com. You keep it quick. I didn't have time for Burns. But do you have flashback on there? Yeah? Okay, can you go and find two s M and then just like scold to what just happened and send it to me. I want to know what he said after, because I reckon he would have like slagged you off a bit more.
Speaker 2: Go on, he said, Oh my god, what did he say?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I don't remember I just asking the wrong person again.
Speaker 1: Can we just talk about the fact that that was way too easy to get on air.
Speaker 2: He didn't even vet me. Like normally, when someone rings my show, I go hi, it's kids nights. What do you want to talk about? What's your name? Get the name and if they're ship I get rid of them, or if they want to talk about something stupid, I don't put them on. But I never go straight to air with someone. No.
Speaker 1: And like if you call a talkback station, which is different to kiss, they still go through the basic what's your name of? What do you want to talk?
Speaker 3: Speak? Phone?
Speaker 1: Usually get your suburb to Jane from Croydon. That was weird that he put it straight on air and says, what's that I was going to say asking to be based? Oh my god, I can't believe that just happened. That was we were in and out so quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's over before it even started. It's like getting a needle.
Speaker 1: Have you got a dinner? Yeap? Just sent it.
Speaker 2: I can get it in the system right there. Hold on, do you say call it to a sm flash?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've got.
Speaker 1: To get it. What else would tom flashback be? Yeah, she got it. I don't know what could what would that be?
Speaker 2: So this is after he hung up on me. We obviously didn't hear what he said on air, but this is him carrying on after the print calls.
Speaker 3: Here we go Talk Tonight. Your name please, Vern, you're on air.
Speaker 4: Vern?
Speaker 3: What did you want to say? Mate?
Speaker 2: I just wanted to talk about ancestry dot Com and genealogy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very quickly.
Speaker 2: It's great. You wouldn't believe it, but I just took a test. Turns out I'm one hundred percent that bitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah that sounds right, Vern. So you hung on for that, did you? Yeah? I think you've described yourself one hundred per.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: We've got your numbers, so we won't put you back on Talk Tonight.
Speaker 1: On thirteen twelve, That wasn't too bad. Actually better, it's actually better hearing it from the other point of view. Yeah, it's very smug, I reckon. We can easily go back on that was that was not hard enough. You're well done. Luiii Is it just me? A podcast by a couple of meters