Speaker 1: You know, I've moved to quite a hilly area, very hilly. It's like Everest, the Everest.
Speaker 2: Of Sydney they call it. They call that now I do.
Speaker 1: But I've noticed something about all the local dads. Good carves, fucking unbelievable cars.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, April and I are driving along and I was like, look at.
Speaker 3: The cars on this guy.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to two doting dads. I'm Maddie Jay and I'm Ash and this is it one. Sorry, she's got a little cardboard box.
Speaker 2: Looks like it could be band aids. It's not. He's just putting something over his nose and I'm ash.
Speaker 4: You are a heavy mouth breathed that hang on? Oh, this is a podcast or what parenting? It's good and relatable and if you come for advice, not today your nose.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: It's a nasal strip. It's called breathe right, I'm addicted.
Speaker 4: Whoever came up with that name? Very intelligent? No, right, do you mind if I try one? Have you never had a natal strip? I've never had one. And I'm getting fed these ads and I'm so close to getting sucked in where you have the magnets, the magnets, and then you put the strip attaches to the magnets and it.
Speaker 2: Just like flours. This is one step before that.
Speaker 4: This is the gateway. He's getting a nose job. And what do I do?
Speaker 2: Just? Yeah, just make sure you grab some nostril? Bang? Oh yeah, I got good. What do you think?
Speaker 4: I don't notice the difference? Have you got a deviated symptom?
Speaker 2: She's deviated? Anyway, let's get back on track. Are we talking about Oh bit, we're talking about beer. May I crack it, big boy? What are you drinking there?
Speaker 4: Mate, I'm drinking It's a stone of wood, No surprise in there. We've gone through the hinterland. Hazy palou once more beautiful.
Speaker 1: That's my first beer of the week. Actually, excuse me, I'm a fitness freak.
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 4: Because post balia, you're getting your life back on track. What's going on?
Speaker 1: Just balance? I'm just looking for some balance. You're out here looking for that.
Speaker 2: There is one thing you do not do well. It's balance. No, I'm trying.
Speaker 4: You were lying one side at the extreme and now you're the other.
Speaker 2: How does this taste?
Speaker 1: This is one of my favorite ones. I've got a fridge full of them at home. It used to be you used to not be able to get it everywhere because it was limited. Now it is a full, full range. And where can they get it?
Speaker 2: Matt?
Speaker 4: You tell us it is available from any good bottle shop now pouring on tapping, any good bar, a restaurant, and if you're struggling to find any good restaurant or bar.
Speaker 2: You can of course buy it online. It's starting with dot com dot are you all? One word? That's very good?
Speaker 1: And also it's getting hot, so bevery hot heat beer.
Speaker 2: Summer sandwiches. I'm calling it. Do you know what tasted delicious on the weekend? Ash? It was a beer?
Speaker 4: Do you know what I was doing pre beer? That made it taste even better? Actually, I haven't had a post beer sex in a long time. Beer. I'll take either way, thank you.
Speaker 2: I was chopping down trees we are you on the weekend? I did see something there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just you know I've I've been making my transition into like full blown toxic masculine laborer laborer for a couple of weeks now since the runners have started, and I got invited down to Aladala or Milton to my brother in law's farm.
Speaker 2: So your sister's farm.
Speaker 4: Yes, my sister's farm. Yes, sorry, their farm, their farm. And I had a beer after we've been chopping down trees for I want to say, six hours, six hours of tree chopping y splinters, splinters. That's a little scratch of my thumb. Oh, your poor sing and that is see that challous No like that.
Speaker 2: There oh in the middle, So fucking gentle with my hand. It's been infected. Is it infected? It was different type of wood that was from it? Right, So what were you clearing trees for the third house we got.
Speaker 4: There is a little creek that runs from the back of the property at my sister and husband's farm. It runs for like I want to say, seven kilometers, eventually opens up and ends up at the beach. So it starts off as a little trickle and then opens up to a beautiful estra estuary street, estuary Australia.
Speaker 2: And into ocean.
Speaker 1: So is that where you would say freshwater meets salt water and becomes salt water.
Speaker 2: No, it is. It is alsot water, the evolution of water.
Speaker 4: It is also water because because ash, because it's the tiders goes in and out.
Speaker 2: The creek goes up and down. Oh, it's also water.
Speaker 4: I felt like I was going to get attacked by a sha.
Speaker 1: So when okay, I'm confused with what I just thought that would be fresh water for seven k's from the beach.
Speaker 2: No, because it's like an inlet. It's like a river.
Speaker 4: It's a river if you will. So it's fed by the ocean.
Speaker 2: So it's not a creek. Sorry, creek has thrown you and I. That's that's on me. Wow, I apologize.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Shooting for another episode, is it?
Speaker 2: Is it creak or is it a river? There's a new segment.
Speaker 4: So we had to we had to clear all the logs that had fallen down and.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was the manliest weekend I think I've ever had in my high life.
Speaker 2: You just surprise me every weekend. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait for the full transition to so it's go one what full laborer?
Speaker 2: That's what am I right now? Full time laborer.
Speaker 4: I woke up.
Speaker 2: Creak, creak, a queak and river.
Speaker 4: First, you wouldn't last more than two seconds out there talking like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, oh my god, a splinter. No, you'd you'd fit right in. I turn it on, but it was I haven't.
Speaker 4: Experienced that level of pain. And hopefully none of the boys are listening to this podcast. They were on that weekend trip because they're all like builders or laborers or concreteors. I was one of the few who write emails.
Speaker 2: And film content. Salt of the earth, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, none of them were that intrigued about my job. One of them was like, what's a podcast? And I was like, well, and he's like, too much information. Wrestle it's like radio.
Speaker 2: I was just my wrists was sore, like my body was.
Speaker 1: I was all right, fellas, all right, fellas first time.
Speaker 4: It's a miracle that I made out a lot. There was a lot of wrestling, a lot of wrestlings, of beers, lots of wrestling.
Speaker 2: Sounds like broke Back Farm if you ask me, buddy.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It's just it's night.
Speaker 4: It's very primal, very primal, seeing two grown men decide to wrestle.
Speaker 2: Wow, you had a masculine weekend.
Speaker 4: Very masculine weekend, very masculine weekend up there on the house. That's okay, whilst we're here, go on. Very controversial. I don't know how you feel about this. Ash we've decided to not put a bath in the house.
Speaker 2: Well at all. Nothing to showers, showers only. I think that's I think that's fine. I don't see a problem with it. I thought you were a big bath kind of guy.
Speaker 1: No, April's a big bath kind of girl. She would be, but not for I wouldn't catch me stewing in a bath.
Speaker 2: Not at all.
Speaker 4: What about the option of not having any bath with the kids shower easier, That's what I think. Love to I hose them down. Don't put a bathroom in there at all.
Speaker 2: I've got a hose and still good. Speaking of April, it is April's birthday. Today's Happy birthday to April. Would that be weird if I called her? No?
Speaker 4: Would she want that?
Speaker 2: Probably not? Okay, Well, I won't do it. I don't know. Give a call. I give it a call. Oh, here we go.
Speaker 4: We're on.
Speaker 2: We're on, April. It's me, Matt.
Speaker 4: We are recording right now, So don't say anything incriminating.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to say.
Speaker 4: I don't know have your number saved in my phone, but I just wanted to say, happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, appreciate it. What are you now? Twenty six, twenty seven. Yeah, just ripe old age of twenty four.
Speaker 4: Actually, you're looking great. Thank you. Whatever you're doing, it's the boxing.
Speaker 2: What do you got?
Speaker 4: What do you got planned for tonight? Told you no? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Will will you tell me? No? It's nothing huge. We're just doing a little family.
Speaker 1: Dinner Chinese restaurant, a succulent Chinese meal.
Speaker 4: Well, I have to say, I don't know how you put up with Ashton, but you are. You do an incredible job as both wife and mum. Is that your.
Speaker 2: Birthday present to me? Just the words? Is that not good enough? Yes? Sure? My physical gifts? What would you What would you like?
Speaker 1: Something big, babe, something expensive?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe one of your homes. Your holiday out must be nice. That's what we got time for April. Have a great birthday. Bye. You don't ask, you don't get exactly right. You wear you're wearing the shirt.
Speaker 1: I'm wearing a shirt that says my wife on it for those listening at home. And it's got a punch a bunch of pictures of April on it, like she gave it to me for Christmas.
Speaker 2: That's a nice shirt. It is a nice shirt.
Speaker 4: I feel like you guys are just on fire right now. The two of you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, little cheeky present you picked up as well.
Speaker 2: I did. She'll get that later. You've got a few things as well, I did. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Tony May gave me a couple of rings. Thank you, Laura and Matthew. Thank you to the Johnson's and the Burns. Lovely my weekend. You had the masculine weekend. I had a fairly standard weekend except for one event that happened, which was a meltdown. I'm calling it the ultra tantrum from Oscar and myself. It was a bit wet on the weekend. And he's in the backyard playing with the little nerf gun, no worry, playing solo. Macy was on route come down to see what was going on in the paddock. In the paddock with the farm, the eleanor of farm, and there's a slight decline.
Speaker 2: Well said to get down there.
Speaker 1: And poor Macy she was she can't walk that well, let's be honest, like she's not there were balanced.
Speaker 4: She's a bit, she's a bit like topsy turvy.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And she had gum boots on recipe for disas because they're not used to the extra weight. Yeah, exactly, so she's fallen down the hill appears when you say a bit. She just took a tumble, wasn't It was grass, so she wasn't like it would have scared her more than anything.
Speaker 2: It's not hurt, but she was.
Speaker 1: Whaling, and I thought, fuck, I go down with a towel, dryer off because she still she was still want to play one.
Speaker 2: She's calmed down.
Speaker 1: And Oscar was down there, and what I expect from Oscar is to at least be like, are you okay?
Speaker 2: It's just the.
Speaker 1: Bare minimum bit of empathy. I got down there. He was showing no empathy. He walked straight past her A couple I observed as I was walking down he was too busy concentrating on what he was playing with the nerf gun. I stopped checked if Macy was okay. She was okay, Gabor toweer, she was just like sitting with a tower. I said, okay, yeah, blah blah blah. And I said to Oscar, I was like, hey, bro, you're the older brother, check if your sister's okay. And he started to melt down about that because he knew that he had sucked up, and then he'd gone to tell me that he was gonna do it, and I was like, you weren't gonna do it. So I'm getting a little bit fired up here. I'm like, you weren't going to do it. Now you're just fucking lying to me. Anyway, he puts the gun up and shoots me point blank in the face. Right, it was a little prick, give me that fucking gun, and I fucking snatched it.
Speaker 2: Tell me you shot him back?
Speaker 1: No, no, there was only one bullet in it, one bullet, and I snatched it, and he had the other bullet in his hand.
Speaker 2: He threw the bullet at me, so I threw the.
Speaker 1: Gun, not at him, at the brick wall next to it, trying to smash it. So at this point I'm acting like a child.
Speaker 2: Too, your words, not mine.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, yeah, we're both one up in each other here. I've smashed it. Right, He's screamed at me, picked up the bullet, thrown it at me again. So I've picked the gun up, and as you know, with his block of land, it's quite steep, quite high, quite long, turned around with this nerve gun and launched it as far as I could into the.
Speaker 2: Back and you've got a very good arm. The back paddock. It's gone this thing. Even Macy was like, holy shit. Anyway, he screamed.
Speaker 1: At me, and I have never yelled at someone so loud in my life. I was like, go to your room, like so loud, and it's a bit of a valley. It echoed through the valley.
Speaker 2: I actually heard it here it was.
Speaker 1: And he screamed back again and ran upstairs to his room and I could hear this ruckers. He was trashing his room.
Speaker 2: Where's April.
Speaker 1: April was on the back and he's just watching everything on fire, kind of like, don't get involved, don't get involved, because it was just like back and forth. So Oscar's carrying on. And I walked it, smashed the door open to see what he was doing. The poor kid was so worked up. He's just throwing all his toys and up nothing crazy, like just throwing his legos and everything on the ground.
Speaker 2: But he was trying to flip his mattress and he's like this, how many attempts did he have a couple? He was like, you're like, I'll get your hand. I was like, let me help you out and flipped it.
Speaker 1: And then I just I was like, now shut up, slammed the door and went out, and I just like, so fucking worked out. Anyway, I came back in and he was like still trying to flip the mattress. The room was trashed, and like, I just st and Macy's like, help may He's still halfway down the hill.
Speaker 2: Anybody.
Speaker 1: Eventually, I was like, I just I closed the door and left him in there and let him calm down, because I was like, and I also went and calmed down, and like I said, I acted like a child as well. I was not a parent.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it happened.
Speaker 1: And anyway, I went back and I opened the door, and I was like, you should have just helped your sister, and he said to me again I was gonna.
Speaker 2: I was like, just don't lie to me. Also, clean all this shit up, and he's letting you guys kick off a game for a round two? No, no, I was gonna. Did you give him a cuddle? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I let him calm down, he cleaned up some of his room, I had to put the mattress back, and then I gave him a cuddle and I was like, buddy, you look out for your sister is one and two don't lie to me, don't bullshit a bullshitter, and I said, look, I'm sorry for not acting like a parent.
Speaker 2: And three, you're too small to for be mattress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, leave it alone also, and then I tried to turn into a teaching moment. I was like, if you eat your dinner, you would have been able to flip that mate straight back.
Speaker 2: And I was like, you eat your dinner, you'll.
Speaker 1: Be able to flip that mattress next. So anyway, that was my weekend. And it ended with him being completely banned from using his phone. Like he's it's just YouTube on his phone that's completely banned.
Speaker 2: I was like, you're crowded.
Speaker 4: Where's he going to go exactly?
Speaker 1: He's like, I go everywhere with you. Yeah, well, what are you going to leave me here? I was like, he's got me on a technicality. He's good, he's good, he's good. We've meant it, and I've actually taken a leaf out of your book and I would like to thank you. So we're not going with screen time anymore. Look, the holiday didn't really help because when you're on holidays, you're kind of like, I want to enjoy myself, can you fuck off with this screen and just leave me alone? But like after that, we're like, look, he's just so aggressive in the mornings now because he's like waking.
Speaker 2: Up like, oh you a screen? I need a screen?
Speaker 1: And it's like, okay, so it's been like two or three days. How's it going TV? Yes, but it's Disney, like a Disney classic Disney movie. YouTube, No fucking way. That is just like crack.
Speaker 2: It is mentally. Macy's meltdown over.
Speaker 1: No YouTube is borderline worse than her not being able to look at us like a person, like a one on one screen.
Speaker 2: She's like YouTube, I was like, no, yousube, like fuck don't.
Speaker 4: We got really stuck into screen time in that weird period where the kids were old enough to enjoy screen time but not old enough to enjoy coloring and doing those types of tity.
Speaker 1: That's what happens when you have too much screen time. You can't can't talk, You can't talk.
Speaker 4: And I guess girls and boys are different in that little boys often don't want to sit down and color in for an hour, whereas Marley and Lola that is their absolute jam.
Speaker 2: They love it. It's just got to run bro.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's boys. They gotta like they're gott to exert the energy.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Like he'll come back from like a day at KINDI where it's like they've been on an excursion and he's been fucking running around like he's Then he goes to Popper's. It goes for a swim for an hour with Popper and like not just like he's like a leisurely swim.
Speaker 2: I'm talking fucking.
Speaker 1: In thought, playing out in out up, back up, back up.
Speaker 2: But he's like a fucking kelpie. What the fuck? Like it's NonStop.
Speaker 1: And then he gets home and he's like I want to go and jump on his rampoline.
Speaker 2: I'm like, the fucking wrong with you?
Speaker 1: One day, I'm just half expecting him to be like I'm gonna get jump on the trampoline to look out and it's gonna be like.
Speaker 2: But no, he's not, and he wouldn't.
Speaker 1: And then I'm like go to bed and he's like no, like you're tired. He's like, no, to have that amount of energy, I must divided that amount of you kind of do No, I'm tired.
Speaker 4: No, you only when you like sid still when you're when you're inadactivity, you're you're like, you're fucking.
Speaker 2: Like a kelpie, You're like a healthy Yeah.
Speaker 4: You were like your son, damn it, I know. So what's your plan on screen time? Are going to completely remove it? You're gonna go weekends, weekends only?
Speaker 1: No, I think only only on a no, like individual screen because that's like they're locked in, and Macy gets so locked in.
Speaker 2: You're like, but they're like TV.
Speaker 1: I put the TV on and then Oscar's got his legos well, and he's you know, he ended up just be concentrating on the lego, which is what you want. And he's so good at it, like he's like, fucking I got got in this lego yesterday and then what did I do yesterday afternoon? I literally went and pick up dinner, came back.
Speaker 2: He said, look and it's Star Wars Death start and he's done it. Yeah, Lego master loves it. He just locks in. Should be tested tested, you should?
Speaker 4: I mean again, your word's not mine. Man's a good idea where we got we were screen timing, Like I remember the kids used to get into the routine where they would wake up and they would they would start waking up earlier because they you know, they'd rustled a bet at like five o'clock screen and then they'd just be like screen time, And because we were so tired, we were just like, here's my phone. And then I'd fall back asleep and I'd wake up an hour later and noticed next to me like just balls Deep and new YouTube. Yeah, and then that was like and then every dinner time, they wouldn't eat their dinner unless the TV was on. It was just screen time, like every second of every day when they went to daycare. It was fucking bad.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's exactly where we were at.
Speaker 4: And not to be I'm not I'm not judging it never works for you, but we were like Laura was the one who was like, this is getting ridiculous.
Speaker 1: M yeah, like they will wait, they wake up early because they know what's thoughts there, and then I would I would use it as well.
Speaker 2: To go back to sleep. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I think like, if you have something really important to do and you need them to be distracted, fine, I'm okay with that, but like for an extra half hour sleep, it's not really worth it.
Speaker 4: This week, when we were on the cruise recently, we stopped doing screen time at dinner, and I will say that is the fucking worst.
Speaker 2: Oh that sucks.
Speaker 4: Like you get like a little sense of we did it no screen time, but dinner is just chaos entirely.
Speaker 2: Enjoy fucking sauce everywhere.
Speaker 4: They're like drawing on the tablecloth, like going over to other table.
Speaker 1: I will say, though, the p Andos staff, the waiters, because they're all from different countries, very good, very good.
Speaker 2: They were like they.
Speaker 1: Would remember the name and then like I think, like for breakfast, we had this guy Michael. I remember his name was shout its Michael, probably not listening, definitely not sure. He would be like does that have a race, and he would just go and take them if it was quiet enough to like just people. I was sitting there eating breakfast. I'm like with the kids, and then you just see him pass with Michael. I did tip him.
Speaker 4: For the rs L.
Speaker 2: There's no Michael. There's no Michael. There's Michael. We need Michael more Michaels.
Speaker 4: Michael's rs L. We've got dinner tonight. The RSL just to go on. My sister icebergs no not RSL, RSLF, very nice rs L. And I'm like it's going to be Laura's not coming and I'm like, fuck, it's going to be hell me and the kids.
Speaker 2: And she doesn't do screen to and yeah, but you know she's like she needs a screen She's yeah, she needs she'd loves screen time.
Speaker 1: We'd give all day, every day for Ellie Geeva occupied anyway, So that was the meltdown.
Speaker 2: We've recovered somewhat. Macy hasn't.
Speaker 1: She's still down there, Matt. Last week you mentioned you had a info in it for big school. Not for you, You're way past big school. It's for her name is Marley, right, her name.
Speaker 4: Is Marley, and she is transitioning to kindy Okay, so at big school kindy.
Speaker 2: Big smook indy bigs.
Speaker 4: One thing that's weird about school in New South Wales is that primary school finishes in year six.
Speaker 2: Right, yep, that's fucking weird. Even numbers. What do you mean? Even number six is an even number? Yeah, made up of two odd numbers.
Speaker 4: Very good school, Queen's Land. We finished school in year seven primary school. High school starts in year eight.
Speaker 2: That's silly.
Speaker 4: Even number two fours make there you go?
Speaker 2: Well said truth? Truth?
Speaker 4: So yeah, so we enrolled. We enrolled, obviously we had the panic, the panic of the late enrollment got in. There, had the info nite felt good, great, great info nite by the way, and then we had our first orientation, which was this morning, Oh, I'm coming straight from the orientation.
Speaker 2: How'd you go, Marley go?
Speaker 4: Actually she did, okay, okay, good, she did Okay, your orientation you were with the kids.
Speaker 2: It was like one of that was like the initial one.
Speaker 4: Have you done an orientation where you just dropped?
Speaker 2: April has done the drop because I've been busy.
Speaker 4: Because I thought initially, I thought it was going to be I'm with Marley the whole time, and I thought we would go to school in the morning, all the parents would be holding hands with their kids from start to finish.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't do that when they actually go to school. So they got it. You got to prepare them. Would be weird if you went to school every day with there you're out the fan Madison.
Speaker 4: So I looked at this sheet and I was like, oh, it's just it's a drop and go orientation. So I actually it worked out great because Marley was really pumped, really excited for the days leading up to it because a lot of her daycare friends are also they got the orientation, so everyone's kind of like in this process of preparing for big school. Marley loves it, and I was like, you don't eat your dinner, you're not going to school. If you didn't go to bed right now, you are not going to school. So I've been using that as my main correct.
Speaker 2: We were like, thank god, I don't want to dinner and I don't want to go to school. Fuck imagine if that was the case.
Speaker 4: And then I was driving Maley in. We went in there through the front gates, and I at a moment where I was thinking, oh, my gosh, I remember taking Marley to her first day of daycare and you know how.
Speaker 1: Little she was back then, And I was now, yeah, yeah, back now.
Speaker 2: And now I'm you know, at this.
Speaker 4: For the last few years, it's been pretty consistent, the routine of your kids in daycare, and it's you're now entering a different phase. And it's a real obviously sounds really obvious, but a real moment of oh, she's not a little kid anymore. She's turning into a little girl. Yeah, and I hate it.
Speaker 2: It's a double edged sword.
Speaker 4: I love that she's turning into a little girl, and I love how she's becoming. But at the same time, I'm like, oh, she's not my she's not.
Speaker 2: Your baby anymoy anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like Oscar is the same, he's I remember walking him to kindy. We used to live in d wives of suburban Sydney and we would walk.
Speaker 2: To the end of the road where the KINDI was. I remember his little backpack.
Speaker 1: Yeah I had to carry because he was just but like yeah, And then now he's like, we've got a drop off orientation tomorrow, which is I haven't been to the last couple because I've been I've been an absent father. But this one I'm going to go, so it'll be interesting. I'll be able to let you know how that goes next week.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought it was going to be a little bit emotional, you know, when I drop off a daycare. Sometimes that moment of when I I'm walking out the door and I'm waving goodbye. Very often she's like, Daddy, don't go stay there. Maybe like once or twice a week.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't get it if you just pushed out a car when you drove past, You're right right right.
Speaker 4: The bat out of the window.
Speaker 2: And we went in. I met her teacher.
Speaker 4: They have a buddy, so one of the older kids they come down. You get to sign a buddy and that's who you're going to have for when you actually start school. And the buddy was lovely, great, great young lady. And you know, I'm standing there with the buddy with Marley the teacher, and I was like, Okay, Marley, you have a really great day. And to a buddy, I was like, you have really fun fum looking after Marley. And then I hung around for like a split second longer, and I was just taking it in and I was expecting Maley to maybe be a bit upset, you know, hold my hand and say, daddy, can you stay?
Speaker 2: And she looked at me and she's like, do you want to get out of you now? You didn't get the moment. You were like thinking it was going to be you can leave. Oh can you fuck off? Did that break your heart? Oh my gosh? Look yeah, I was like, she doesn't want me anymore?
Speaker 1: No, well, yeah, I think she's the excitement of the first you remember, Okay, here we go. You remember the first time you did drop her off to kinder. It was like a whole New World. So they're all so excited too. But then the second time they knew what they're in for, and they're like, so next time you might get that moment where it's like, fucking over, I'm going. But if she's super excited, that's great.
Speaker 2: I was outside the fence, okay, turn tables. She was like, fuck after leave me alone. I can still see you in the bushes, the rustling in the bushes.
Speaker 4: But she was great. Picture up a few hours later. She had a great time.
Speaker 2: They do though.
Speaker 4: I met some of the dads. Yeah, lovely dads.
Speaker 2: Well, they like really nice, really nice. I made a really shit joke, tells me. He goes.
Speaker 4: The dad comes over and he goes, oh have you this is we all come about ten minutes Daly to pick up the kids. And he goes, ohre you here to pick up your kids? Starting kindy and I said no, no, the gig was opened, so I just walked in.
Speaker 2: I like it. That's not ship.
Speaker 1: That is great, a bit predatory, very I like it.
Speaker 4: But then I was like the guy was like, oh, I should make conversation mate, yeah, And I was like I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And now he's with the other day's attitude on him. That's great.
Speaker 4: I do have a little message from Mali just to let you know how she went. What was your favorite part.
Speaker 2: Of schoolving many bike?
Speaker 4: Are you excited to go to school now?
Speaker 2: Oh? That's lovely?
Speaker 1: Anyway, should we go into hack or funck that?
Speaker 4: Mate?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got one for you. This is a parenting hack. I've come up this on the run. I think it's genius. Oscar picked his fingernail too short, and you know when you do that, everything stings. Salt, lemon, any citrus?
Speaker 4: How much citrus are you eating in your household?
Speaker 2: My house is just full of citrus. Everywhere you go, everybody you turn, you open the door, bam, citrus sleeps on a bit of lemons.
Speaker 1: It's better limes, so better than that orange. But anything, he'll just complain anyway. So April went into the city for a full day's work.
Speaker 2: She only goes in every now and then. A very good.
Speaker 1: I decided to go with showers instead of bath. What a shower for the kids instead of a bath?
Speaker 4: Great tie back to my original story of the bath household.
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: So I'm pro no bath, yes, just because showers quick. Also like it's just easier bath. They just anyway we can go on about are you in the bath in the shower with them?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 1: Sometimes you're shut the door. No, no, I mean I'm in the bathroom. We don't have a door in our shower.
Speaker 2: What's that like?
Speaker 1: Anyway, he was complaining about he didn't want to get his hand wet.
Speaker 2: He didn't want to sting fair enough.
Speaker 1: But I was like, okay, bro, I've got a solution for you, and I'm going to show you.
Speaker 2: Yeah what that is.
Speaker 1: That is a zip lock bag over the hand of Oscar and then I've used a handtye of Macy's to make.
Speaker 2: That water time You've maguarded it, I've guarded it.
Speaker 4: And he gives like a little night of this will do?
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 1: The funny thing is? It didn't work. The water still got in there and he didn't notice. And I was like, there's water in there, Bro, did it sting? He's like, it mustn't hurt anymore.
Speaker 2: You know what you need to do?
Speaker 4: Git a glad wrap as well.
Speaker 1: I was like, maybe I'll tape it up and I thought, nah, just use a hair tie anyway, what do you reckon?
Speaker 2: Good hack? Very good? Thank you very good, well done. Thank you. The ingenuity on that is on the fly too.
Speaker 1: I was like, I sat down after with the kids in the bed and I was like, stonewood, I am good.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 4: It's annoying though any little scratch. Lola is the worse for it, where she was like.
Speaker 2: I cannot get it wet, and so.
Speaker 4: She'll be in the bath with like a foot on knee hanging out because she want to get it wet, and then and then until she forgets, and then she's like next second, I'm like, see you're in the water, and she's.
Speaker 2: Like it out. My god. They're just over dramatized. That is apparenting hack. By the way, thank you. You're welcome. Yes, there he is first in a while.
Speaker 1: It feels good. Should we go into questions? Matthew finishes off strong with a couple of questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, please Ash. We have had this question submitted by Caitlin. She's written in and she wants to know this is a very interesting question. I would love to know your take on this. What is your approach to alcohol with your own kids.
Speaker 2: They're a bit young at the moment, are they You're never so young?
Speaker 4: At what point do you think you will introduce your kids to alcohol, or will you introduce them at all?
Speaker 1: They already know that beer's daddy's. They'll see your case in beer and they'll be like, daddy, look I was. I think they're going to get to an age of teenagehood.
Speaker 2: Of course, as we all do did whatever.
Speaker 1: Some people didn't, but where you like, because they're dead, they're dead, they're dead by then.
Speaker 2: Shout out to those who didn't make it, well.
Speaker 1: That's horrible, but I like it going it to an age like where you're like, I remember getting to an age around I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I have some beers.
Speaker 1: And you hit it and you were like fifteen fourteen, fourteen fifteen. Sure, I was like yeah, and I think like I hit it. I had some friends that their parents wouldn't enable it, but they were like, you can. If you're going to do it, do it here because you're in a controlled environment somewhat.
Speaker 4: And if you're going to get a bit too tipsy, it's better that it happens in someone's house, yea, rather than down the park.
Speaker 2: And vulnerable and anything could happen.
Speaker 4: So did your parents ever allow you to have alcohol at home before you eighteen?
Speaker 2: Allow is a strong word.
Speaker 1: I think they knew I was like giving in to take a mile sort of guy.
Speaker 2: I can imagine you can have one. You're going to have one, maybe maybe one.
Speaker 4: But rolling in with the keg, Yeah, it was said one.
Speaker 1: I would say it was a semi strict environment where I still hid majority of my drinking as a teenager with my friend, I would do it in those windows of opportunity, but I get shit faced.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know what it's going to be, like, what they're going to be like.
Speaker 4: See I reckon, I'll do it the same way that it was done for me when I was a kid, and it's that definitely didn't encourage us to get shit fash.
Speaker 2: She's like, what do you want? Long oland iced tea short coming right up? Yes, five of them? Who wants a wet pussy?
Speaker 4: But for me, it was a case of the taboo was removed from alcohol, so it wasn't like it wasn't a case of me wanting to indulge because I thought it was like the naughty thing to do.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of kids.
Speaker 4: Really binge drink when they're underage because it's just a naughty thing to do and they want to do something that's against the rules, And so for me it wasn't It wasn't a big deal to have my hands on a bottle of alcohol in the way that I was brought up at home. So I never felt like I've got this small little window where I can break the rules and I want to overindulge, whereas other kids who were my age, when they were in households where the parents had absolutely no idea that their son or daughter were drinking, they were quite often the ones who were then on the weekend get shif faced, binge drink.
Speaker 2: To the extra to be drinking now either now like which I think.
Speaker 4: I think it was a case of like the best example I can give, And if this makes sense, I once worked in a lolly store and the rule was, if you want to eat a lolly, you can eat the lolly. And because you're allowed to do it, you didn't really.
Speaker 2: Want to eat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you always think, like the rule if it was like you cannot eat a single thing, you'd probably want to like sneak a few lollies in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that might, I mean, that might work for you. Some people at different Some people cannot help themselves. But everyone's going to be different, right.
Speaker 4: But I think if you introduce them in a controlled setting, for me anyway, you probably.
Speaker 2: Reduced the risk factor of anything happening. If Oscar's sitting there having a.
Speaker 1: Drink with me while watching the football at home and his mates are out there getting shit faced and potentially doing something risky, I know where I prefer him to be.
Speaker 4: But then also you can be more aware of what he's like when he's drinking. Yeah, so if you think that he is going down a path where he's hitting a bottle too hard, you can speak to them about it and there's open conversation as opposed to it being this thing that no one ever talks about. But I definitely think that Laura and I will introduce our kids as teenagers, and I'm talking like fifteen sixteen, I'll introduce them to alcohol rather than do that with their friends in a park with absolutely zero adult supervision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I would prefer to have OS's first beer with Oscar. I'm going to have to work it out when I get there, because I don't know what sort of kid's going to be in ten years time, what brain chemistry is made up of I don't know really, if I was to have a drink with him now, it would just be a fucking scrap, you know what I mean? Much discussion, much to think about. Here's one for you from Christo. We both have two kids. How did you introduce your first kid to your second kid?
Speaker 2: We approach it the same way, going Marley. This is lower loss, Marley.
Speaker 4: We did it more along the lines of how you would introduce a child to a pet. Where we had a rag a blanket if you will rag, and we would it had it had long less scent on it, and we then introduced that to Marlo.
Speaker 2: We would blanket from their at the airport.
Speaker 1: Fuck airport hospital. Same thing, the blanket from the hospital. Did you steal yours too?
Speaker 2: Of course? I love how everyone.
Speaker 1: We need to do something with that. There's something there. This is a side note, there's something there stealing everyone steals that blanket.
Speaker 4: I don't know where it is. But no, I didn't actually do that, so I was joke.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't introduce the center of my child.
Speaker 2: Oh, from a rag.
Speaker 1: So it took Marley's shoe toy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did you do it? Come on? Give us a I think they were just there.
Speaker 4: I think that was just there was no like, there was no propit.
Speaker 1: What was that helicopter we're invading, it's happening, your mum's in the front room election.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it just like there was no there was no real moment it was.
Speaker 2: Can I interject really quickly?
Speaker 1: I think a lot of the lead up work is done during the pregnancy, where they you're sort of like, this is what to expect. You're going to have a little brother or a little sister, or they're in mummy's tummy and they've already bonded with it kind of already. You think, it's not like it's like surprise. You know, Laura was like bringing home a dog.
Speaker 4: Because she was hiding the bump from Maley for the whole pregnancy. There's a book called I Think You're a Big Sister as well, which explains like, yeah, you're about to have another person in the family and you're going to be a big sister, which means that you're going to have to do X, Y and Z and they're going to be a bit loud and blah blah blahlah blah.
Speaker 2: So that book great book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the time you come home from the hospital. There might be the initial like from but Oscar being like, oh, your little baby, and then.
Speaker 4: Was it at home or in the hospital. At home, I don't even think we brought I can't remember.
Speaker 2: We didn't take Oscar at the hospital. I think we did either.
Speaker 1: Imagine another kid, imagine taking back to it all began to be like yep, no anyway, So, I mean it was awful in terms of I think Marley was like, let me hold her, and we're like, okay, here she is, and then the split second later Marley was trying to rip an eye out with and we're like that's enough for you guys, or like little girls like they undressed dolls, that.
Speaker 2: L was naked.
Speaker 1: Actually what Yeah, I think Yeah, from what I remember, it was pretty smooth. But I know and I have we were in the hospital with Macey and they had like a class, like an introductory to your older sibling class where it wasn't like they would just talk about that, you know, like what the eldest couldn't get up to because they might feel they're not getting the attention. They might feel so I think it's not really the introduction of the the younger sibling it's the dynamic, the new dynamic that that you've got to share your love.
Speaker 2: That would probably throw them off them.
Speaker 4: But I think early doors, early doors that when that bump is like showing the tiniest bin, but baby's coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just very vocal about it all the time. And then also like make sure that you don't just neglect the one easier to stake, to make easy, Yeah, they say in that class, I do recall.
Speaker 4: They make sure you still feed your other child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were like, make sure that you just fill the cup with your other child as well, Like you, I know you're going to be taken up so much to include them in what you're doing, because they would feel included and it might fill the cup up as well.
Speaker 2: Am I a genius?
Speaker 4: Beautifully sad, lovely good way to wrap up the episode.
Speaker 2: Love What if you enjoyed.
Speaker 4: And if you have enjoyed this episode, please subscribe review, few stars, a few comments, Join us on social media Facebook or Instagram or TikTok.
Speaker 1: Two dads, you've wrapped us up so nicely, Matthew, You've forgotten one thing.
Speaker 2: What's that we did?
Speaker 1: Run a competition of course, of course, or a trip away.
Speaker 4: The biggest competition we've ever run on this Podcastally we just.
Speaker 1: Give away beer, but this time we give it away a holiday. I think there'sre on the holiday.
Speaker 2: I think there is.
Speaker 1: They do sell be there, So Matthew a big shout out to who Hannah Daily.
Speaker 4: A huge thanks to everyone who submitted a video for the competition. But Hannah, your blue paint video was amazing and we think you were very deserving of a trip away. So make sure you message us after your trip and let us know how it went.
Speaker 2: Enjoy well deserved, you deserve a break. I know you're going to take your kids.
Speaker 4: A few people are like, can we not take the kids? Say here's leaving behind?
Speaker 2: Leaving behind? Don't if you've guys as long as they have supervision, yes, don't leave them here.
Speaker 4: Enjoy the sundays. Great hotel, how much an island, What a place to be at this time of year.
Speaker 2: I do love it. The buffet beautiful. I just have dreams of the buffet.
Speaker 4: We'll have to give away another holiday to ourselves. We're due a holiday a couple of weeks chomping.
Speaker 2: Should we let them go? Now, let's get let's goad.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to rip this nasal strip off right nough two.
Speaker 4: Doting Dads podcast acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and the connections to land, sea and community.
Speaker 1: We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torrestraight Islander people's today.
Speaker 2: This episode was recorded on Gadagle Land