Speaker 1: A good pickup with Britt Hogley and Laura.
Speaker 2: Burn Radio Worth. Our windows down, my worldris in the dust only good.
Speaker 3: I don't much, but ya our big get and what I want it don't matter where.
Speaker 4: This is the pickup, Hi guys, It's.
Speaker 2: Written Laura from the pickup.
Speaker 3: And it's Monday. You had a very big weekend, Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: I have just done the most well wind trip with two kids, flying solo back and forth to South Africa.
Speaker 3: You took long weekend to the next level, like to the extreme. You almost were in the air for the whole time, and it's like you, what, what did you go?
Speaker 2: Safari?
Speaker 3: For two minutes? Saw an elephant filmed.
Speaker 2: To be fair, we had the most amazing safari. If this is sounding very strange to everyone, So my husband Maddie j he's been in the I'm a Celebrity jungle and we did the most ridiculously round trip to get there be there for the finale family reunion. I flew the kids overseas and then I flew them straight back and they we woke up this morning and it was like nine thirty when I left the house and they were still in bed.
Speaker 3: How did you go? Because I was praying for you the whole time. How did you go flying so far alone with two little kids?
Speaker 2: I we were fine until we got to our middle transfer and then I have never experienced or witnessed such as stage five breakdown from my kids. The fight that they had. One kid was almost naked because she was so filled with rage, which is a whole other story. But yeah, it was. It was a lot, but it was worth it. And if you watched last night's show you would know Sam Friday, he was the winner of I'm a Celebrity. We've got him on the show later today. But the runner up is someone who we both feel very fondly about, me in particular because he's my husband and he's now home. You're more fond. I'm particularly fond of the man, Maddie Jay. He's going to be joining us on the show next and telling us everything about what that jungle experience was. Now we are fresh, really fresh out of the South Africa jungle. And I say we because Matt has been away doing I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here. Last night was the final that me and the girls were also over there, and it was a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I stayed back. I didn't get to go on Safari, but you had quite a wild ride because Sam was announced King of the jungle. But we have our own king, our homegrown king, your husband.
Speaker 2: King of the pickup. Okay, I would like to say it king of my household, and it's my husband, Maddie J. He welcome home, honey.
Speaker 1: I like the name, like prince, Prince.
Speaker 2: Matty J instead of king.
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, Duke, Duke, Duke matt Nah, we need a little bit more than that.
Speaker 1: Duke's a bit The Dukes are weird.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling today? I mean, last night was the final, we got to watch it together. It's so hard sitting there not knowing what's about to happen.
Speaker 1: Can I just say it's a miracle I didn't crash.
Speaker 4: Driving is so hard after thirty days and not being behind a wheel being like.
Speaker 3: A maybe do say that. Don't let anyone know that my.
Speaker 1: Head's still spinning.
Speaker 4: It felt like a couple of minutes ago, I was all stuck in a campsite, starring at a fire for fourteen hours a day, and now I'm here on radio.
Speaker 3: Do you think it was harder or easier than you think? Because so many people tell you what to expect when you go.
Speaker 4: In the whole time, I was like, God, damn it, Brit, you set me up to fail because we had a chat.
Speaker 1: Britt talked about it like.
Speaker 4: It was honestly like a glamping trip away for a weekend at Easter.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought it was going to be like. And then the whole time I just.
Speaker 4: Was constantly going, why didn't Britt manage my expectations just a bit better and tell me that this is.
Speaker 1: Hell on earth?
Speaker 3: Okay, so hear me out. I did give you some warning. I genuinely loved it.
Speaker 4: You said the camp is a little bit smoky at times, and that's it.
Speaker 1: That's all I had.
Speaker 3: No I did say, I imagine all the parents said that it was way harder for them when you've got kids. So I was just like having the time of my life. But I imagine when you've got kids, it's ten times worse. And I did tell you that I imagined that every time.
Speaker 1: I honestly, I don't think you did. I think it was so much harder.
Speaker 4: I look back, and I think, God, I was so naive going into it. I also thought that, you know, when you watch reality TV, and people are in tears and you're like, come on, like stopping ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of being in tears, we do have some audio from last night's episode because your reaction when you very first saw Marley, Lola and I guess myself walking to the jungle, I actually thought, oh, how much therapy were we you going to have to pay for this man?
Speaker 1: She said to me, She's like, can you stop crying?
Speaker 3: You're embarrassing, You're scaring the children.
Speaker 2: It's like, stop bubbles coming out and have a listen to this. Miss You're again.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to see you.
Speaker 2: Fucking from my daddy day. No, when you come home, you just stay home forever and don't go andre else when you come home. Lots of daddy days. Yeah, it's I'm grind. It's so wholesome. Like once we got through the blobbery.
Speaker 1: The gasping forever like I'm drowning.
Speaker 3: Can I just say you might not be King of the Jungle, but the most and I think the biggest take home from this, the thing you should be most excited about is the fact that Lola, our second daughter, our youngest, now likes you because when you left she did not care and now you cannot get rid of her.
Speaker 2: She's absolutely obsessed with you.
Speaker 1: It's weird. It's done a full one eighty.
Speaker 4: I remember after we filmed the finale and we're up in the studio with Robin Julia. We had some of the other camp mates, the final six were all there and I was so excited to see them as well, and I couldn't because I just had Lola on my hip and I put it down for a second.
Speaker 1: She was like, pick me up? What are you doing.
Speaker 2: She's always been the child that's very much like mummy, mommy, mommy. I only want mummy, not daddy. And then now I know what it's like to be on the flip side of that love because she looks at me now and she's.
Speaker 3: Like, not you makes the heart grow fonder. All you needed to do if anyone's playing at home is go away for a month and make your child like you.
Speaker 1: It's that simple. Why did I leave for Africa like months before?
Speaker 2: Look now I'm devastated because who's been there doing the heart slog for the past five weeks?
Speaker 1: Me, I'm not Maley. You got Marley, you can take out.
Speaker 3: What do you think that was the hardest thing like lack of food, the bottom, the food eating challenges, being away from the fam, being away from me, no sexy time, only having mengos.
Speaker 4: What are the easiest? The easiest parts was the no sexy time. It's it's funny that when you're in that environment, right settled down, which has just gone.
Speaker 2: Off because I wasn't there, I understand now it's just dead inside.
Speaker 1: You just did that.
Speaker 4: One of the questions that I asked before I went in the set me down, I said, do you have any questions at all about your experience that you're about to go into? And I was like, where do you do you know your jungle Jacks Jesus? And you asked that yeah, And they were all like so.
Speaker 2: Proud of this man achiever.
Speaker 4: And the executive producers were looking at each other and they're like like, Keith, do you want to answer this one? And he's like, oh god, I'll try and answer this one. And when you're in there, you do you have zero's sex drive at all? Which is and then you come back and you're like, it was that's being generous.
Speaker 1: It's about forty five seconds of my best work.
Speaker 2: But I had a great time.
Speaker 1: Everyone before I was like, Laura, I just want to apologize, this is going to be over very quickly, or you just put your pants down.
Speaker 3: You're like sorry.
Speaker 4: The idea of it, but the hardest part was it was just being away from the family and not having any contact. Yes, you're starved of food, you're starved of any kind of excitement for the majority of the day, but then you're just completely starved. You're deprived of any contact with your family. And I underestimated just how impossible that was going to be because you always have contact. You know, the longest that you normally have is like an hour or two that you don't speak to your family. So I have thirty days.
Speaker 2: It was surprising how productive I was without having Matt call me every forty five minutes. You are needy, your face, you are very needy.
Speaker 3: We all know that here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I missed it. I missed it.
Speaker 4: I started off as the king of the pickup and now you guys are like, you suck.
Speaker 1: You're desperate, little man. They're so needy and pathetic.
Speaker 3: What you can't even.
Speaker 2: Hold it down in sex.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I started off this interview such high hope. I cut out being spat on.
Speaker 2: We love you we love you, and you are the king of the pickup and you are the king of our household, and I am so unbelievably happy to have you home, and we are incredibly proud of you.
Speaker 1: Will not be coming back onto this radio show for a very long.
Speaker 3: Time, and I apologize for making it sound way better than it was.
Speaker 1: Oh that's okay.
Speaker 2: We love you, Matt.
Speaker 1: I love you guys too.
Speaker 2: We are very very proud of you.
Speaker 3: Selena Gomez. I love her. She's amazing, she's beautiful. I've been rooting for her for a long time to find love because she had that really like toxic breakdown from Justin Bieber. But that's another story. She recently got engaged to Benny Blanco and they've been having this like quite a public relationship. So for Valentine's Day, Bennie posted on his Instagram what he did for her to surprise her. Now, apparently Selena isn't a flowers girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair, I think a lot of people are not flowers girls.
Speaker 3: Totally, one hundred percent. I'm all for it. I got protein powder.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 3: So what he did was he did, like you know how you would normally do rose petals through the house that lead you to like a beautiful romantic bath and you sit back and you have a bath together with like incense. So he did this trail of what would have been the rose petals, but it was a trail of like corn chips on the bathroom floor through the house on the bathroom floor, and then it led to the bath and in the bathtub it was filled to the brim of melted cheese.
Speaker 2: It was like cheese fondu, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: What's that cheese? You know the American like thick, gooey hot.
Speaker 2: It's just cheese fondu. It's disgusting. I don't know whether I love this or I this like I made this. Love never find me. I don't know how I feel.
Speaker 3: The internet was divided, Laura, So you're not alone there.
Speaker 2: I saw some of the comments. It was like, think about the plumber, But I mean, what are you doing? How are you getting the cheese out of the bar? That's what I was thinking. You're not eating your way through that? Are you sitting in it?
Speaker 3: There's two ends here, right, You either have a bath in cheese or you sit on the bathroom floor and dip the corn chips off the floor into the geese, so neither is openly romantic. I like the effort, it's obviously a personal joke of some sort.
Speaker 2: But the poor Christias scream screams, we have too much money, That's what that screams. I once received This was not from my ex boyfriend, but my ex boyfriend's mum, who was a beautiful woman. She gave me, and it was Christmas. She gave me a framed professional photo of herself to put up in my house, of her, but not to him. She didn't give it to him. She gave it to me, your mother in law, but well not my mother in law. Now, my ex boyfriend's mum gave me a framed professional photo of herself.
Speaker 3: Question, yeap a four which a fourwig? Enough like a mause? This was like zoomed in? Was it high quality?
Speaker 2: There were no pause because it was a professional photo that had been photoshopped, very glowy. What did you say when she gave it to you? I think she was just so proud that she'd gone and had these headshots done like glamor photos.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, we've got a couple of calls coming through summer. What is your worst gift? What were you given.
Speaker 5: It was Secret Santa. We were at the office and I received a half eating mango what mango? Yes, wrapped in a paper towel, And then I looked further and it came with a note as to how to grow a mango tree.
Speaker 2: No, you can't give someone your leftovers and pretend that's a present.
Speaker 3: Someone forgot Secret Santa and just went to the bin. The office bin was like, what's left over you?
Speaker 2: I don't even think they went to the office bin. I think they had that they ate that mango for lunch and then they gave it to you.
Speaker 5: It said, PS, Mama, mango was delicious.
Speaker 3: Did you plant the seed? No, you could have had a mango tree by now.
Speaker 2: Someone basically call somemer Jamie. What was your terrible gift?
Speaker 6: So I got homemade nipple tassles?
Speaker 2: Chris Kringle, Do you scream someone that likes to wear nipple tassels?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Is that the energy you're giving in life?
Speaker 6: I have no idea. It was this oddest thing, and it's supposed to be like Chris Kringle, and you're not meant to know who it was that gave it to you. But he was like, so excited me.
Speaker 2: This hasn't that he told that.
Speaker 3: He told you it was from him, dude, that's creepy. No, that is creepy. Is he a colleague or a boss or what?
Speaker 6: Oh he wasn't. He wasn't a boss, but he was a colleague. But yeah, I was like, so are you staring at my brooms measuring up my nipples?
Speaker 2: That is so wrong? So you like, try them on, send me a photo, let.
Speaker 3: Me know how they go.
Speaker 6: It was so weird. I was just like and it was one of those people that you just didn't suspect it to be. And I was just like, where is this even worse?
Speaker 2: Did you take it to HR or were you just like okay, cool things?
Speaker 3: She put them on at the office by and she's like whea.
Speaker 6: It got wild later and I took my and I'm drinking. No, I just got home and I just talked him into things so much because anyone embarrassed, And even though he clearly wasn't embarrassing, why don't do.
Speaker 2: That as women?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: Like I'd be like, why nipple tassle? Like you have them? You put them on.
Speaker 6: I should have called him out on it, but you know, you're just young. And a marketing company and it was all kind of cool and everyone was like cool, and I was like, Okay.
Speaker 3: Oh that's that's terrible.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the call, Jamie. Now, the show that we have been talking about an awful lot over the last couple of weeks, every day for the last five weeks, every single day is I'm a celebrity. To get me out of here now. If you didn't see it, last night, we finally crowned our winner of the whole series. The King of the Jungle was crowned and it was Sam.
Speaker 3: Fighter spoiler wasn't your husband, Mammy Jay wasn't.
Speaker 2: And we watched it together last night. But honestly, we could not be more like I could not be happier for Sam. It's such an incredible achievement. Sam is an ex Broncos superstar, so many of you will know exactly who he is. And also this season had the most record number of votes, so which is crazy because like there was over something like six hundred thousand votes for each well for Sam in particular, but we have the winner of the Jungle, Sam Thaday on the phone, Sam, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hello, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Congratulations legend how does it feel, because it is quite the slug. Isn't it such a journey?
Speaker 7: It is a journey. Yeah, it is a It's a rollercoaster of emotion, of hunger, of tiredness. It's yeah, it's a pretty hectic twenty nine days in camp and yeah, I enjoyed the experience. There's a lot of takeaways from it, but it is a tough, grueling slog.
Speaker 2: Everyone's been saying that they've been having different epiphanies. I was talking to Hughesy because we were all over in Africa together for a couple of days, and he was sort of talking about the different epiphanies you have off the back of the show. Was there any life changing moments for you or are you like, nah, I'm done, I'm back to the normal.
Speaker 7: Samthata, Well, I think Australia thoughts Hughsey lost a plot, but.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day found.
Speaker 7: Yeah he did. He really came into his own I think because he's probably the world's worst vegan, so all he really eats at home is like avocado and potato. He got introduced to some new vegan proteins in camp and I think actually Hughes's health check when we left was better than when he went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said never been.
Speaker 7: His blood pressure was down, so yeah, he absolutely enjoyed the experience. But for myself, I just have a new found respect for the simple things in life, like some pepper.
Speaker 3: It's just I was going to say the same.
Speaker 7: Thing seasoning on food.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: I did the show last year and I made it till the second last day and everyone was having these like profound moments. But for me, it was like the appreciation of food. Like I realized I didn't need sugar and I was like, Oh, I'm going to be so clean now. Anyway, blasted about four yeares.
Speaker 2: It never does. It's like going to Tony Robbins conference and you think I'm going to change my life and then the next week you're like, oh, it's back to normal. But Sam, I mean I was over in Africa waiting for the final and everything as well, and I got to spend some time with your beautiful wife and your incredible kids like Gracie and Elsie. They are absolute standout children, which is such a testament to your parenting. What was it like seeing them for the first time after going that twenty nine days without any contact.
Speaker 7: Oh that was crazy. It didn't pull at the heart strings, it literally ripped at the heart strings. I think I got the bum steer too. So Mattie was literally sitting on the bed in camp watching their ice cook ready was down by the creek. I had to walk almost a kilometer to the waterfall. Oh yeah, I was a sweaty mess by the time I got there. So I ended up being a sweaty, blobbing mess. But you love your kids, but then when you're without them for almost a month and then you get to stamp so incredible and to hear their feedback and what they saw and what they loved and what they endured about the whole experience was brillan as well. I did have apologize to Gracie and my oldest daughter who's a part of an elite dance school here in Brisbane. She was very embarrassed by my dance move mat Hopefully I don't get it kicked out of that dance program because of my dance moves.
Speaker 2: Well we know that she doesn't get it from a dad. We did see a bit of working in there. Do you have it's about to do dancing with the stars? Do you have any advice.
Speaker 7: For Uh, yeah, it's all in the hips. It's all in the hip.
Speaker 3: That's what they keep telling me, Sam, is what they Maybe we'll see you on Dancing with the Stars next year after they've seen you tworking skills.
Speaker 7: Who knows you well, Sam.
Speaker 2: It was such a joy to watch you. The biggest congratulations from our family and from everyone who had to pick up to you. You were an absolute standout in the show and we just hope you get a good meal and spend some quality time with your family now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, thank you very much. I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to a really good Australian coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah I can. I bet someone get the man some salt and pepper. Although although everyone's had some pretty bad updates of how it's treated them after having twenty nine days with no coffee, they've spent some time on the toilet. Up, I guess let me tell you that not.
Speaker 3: Even that you'll get heckic diarrhea for the next week.
Speaker 2: So that's what I meant, without being as graphic.
Speaker 3: Now you know what, because you haven't had anything in your body for so long and then it just explodes.
Speaker 2: Just ride the roll of poor Hughesy was in a bad state on the way home. But anyway, sure he can tell that story.
Speaker 7: Sea said, thanks for having me