Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money, She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money the podcast are millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, it is Friday, which means it is time to bring my little team back together to celebrate you ow incredible. She's on the Money community today is Jess Greed. She is going to be sharing our favorite money wins. We're gonna get some very broke tips from the now back and back in the game, Miss bechsa Ed, and we're gonna be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about what to do with your tax return, and we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about which this week we're chatting about having a family and then moving in with your parents to save. How have your weeks been, my love? Let's start with you, Beck, because okay, you skipped last week's Friday drink.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I miss you.
Speaker 4: Guys, we miss you too, sock. I was admittedly not sick or anything. I was just on annual leave.
Speaker 2: So I mean, you have every right to do. But aren't we cool enough to hang out with twenty four to seven?
Speaker 4: I think it's glaringly obvious to who the coolest one in this group is.
Speaker 3: So but no, it was really good. I moved house.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, did you I did I know that was happening. I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I don't think I mentioned it, and I'm sorry about that. I moved from Brunswick to Colton, North.
Speaker 2: Oh that's bougie, which.
Speaker 4: I know is like Brunswick is my hometown. RUNS want to be there.
Speaker 2: You're why did you move just purely for lower rent? Also one of my Oh yeah that's right, because your landlord increased the land. Yeah, okay, makes up doing that, but it's still quite pricey for what it is. But anyway, my dear friend and I've always wanted to live together, so we just.
Speaker 3: Decided to.
Speaker 4: No meanly, we've lived together for years before was cold up. We've been there, done that. We live very well together. But anyway, that's another story.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: My friend Allison, who might listen to this one day hopefully, Hi Alison.
Speaker 3: It's been a hectic week, but I'm glad.
Speaker 2: Moving sucks. It's not one good thing about moving really sucks. Not one except for the part where you've probably got a nicer house, fresh new house fresh.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good for.
Speaker 4: The first night when you watch TV and order a pizza. Yeah, yeah, that's nothing set up yet.
Speaker 2: That's a ride of passage. It's really cozy, Miss Jess Goottaucci. How's your week being. It's been good.
Speaker 3: I have been getting ready for Halloween two months earlier. I know one of my I love TK Max. I don't know if they're everywhere, but they're like, we're American. Yeah, it's an American company, I'm pretty sure. And they have been putting their Halloween stuff out for last weeks. So I've been having a lot of fun treasure hunting because it's one of those stores they just get like a few of each thing gets different things. Yeah, so it's like a big treasure hunt. I joined Facebook group. Is a whole thing you did. You're allowed, I think so, and you're not. Weare.
Speaker 2: You're going to come into the studio and it's going to be Halloween themes. I'm going to be very excited.
Speaker 3: Could I do the best studio?
Speaker 2: You can decorate the studio just as long as I don't have to do it. We have to do literally nothing. Do we get hold on? Do we get the treats?
Speaker 3: Do we get treats? I feel like I could organize some treats.
Speaker 2: We want the treats, we want the decorations. We want none of the work, and we'll take all the responsibility.
Speaker 3: Should we be doing themed podcasts? No themed podcast So for the people at home, I tried to convince the girls last year to do a Bama Rush at not like come into work dressed up as a Bama Rush girl.
Speaker 2: We're smarter than that.
Speaker 3: Got on board with me.
Speaker 2: For the patriarchy to thrive, we do not is no, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: I'll explain to you after it's I don't know.
Speaker 4: If I were here last year, I would have gotten on board with you.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't have hearing it here first, Beck and I are dressing up for the Halloween episode.
Speaker 4: Unless unless what Victoria is saying is true and this is a little bit problematic, in which case I am so against it.
Speaker 2: You're like, I reserved the right to make a decision later.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, whatever outcome is best, that's the one I'm going to go for.
Speaker 2: But we actually have a very we've been hoarding. In fact, do you know what one of the worst things I'm awful at is if I have something exciting that's happened, I will bust into the studio and tell Ane Lisa, our producer, and you Beck immediately when it happens, and then you have to re listen to it when we record the podcast and pretend you've never heard of that story before. Right, That's not like that. This week, I'm leaving it for Jess to tell everyone, have.
Speaker 3: An exciting update.
Speaker 2: Oh oh my god, what is it?
Speaker 3: So last week?
Speaker 2: Go back? Because Beck wasn't here, correct, and its chance she listened to that podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm sure she did, but I.
Speaker 2: Was there. I do it.
Speaker 3: You do know because we've spoken about it. Someone on the internet was impersonating me. Yes, everyone knows about it. It's been a very very stressful thing for me because they're trying to get people to buy bitcoin, and I'm so upset and scared of the thought of someone doing something because they thought they were it was me and they trust me and they like me, and then psych it's some random person on the other side of the world taking you for all your money. Hate hate hate hate hate. So I was talking to Victory, I'm like, I doned to report it.
Speaker 2: Instagram didn't take it down. So like every man and his dog that we know, we have asked to report this account, and every man and his dog that we know has gotten back to us and said, hey, like we got that notification to say that our report was seen to and like the account's staying up like they don't see any issue with it, And both just and I were like, what the hell, this is actually really really unsafe. Yeah, so we weren't impressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah you told me.
Speaker 2: Oh I messaged the scammer. Oh you did too, Did you get any reply? I didn't. I tried.
Speaker 4: I was like, hey, babe, I still ear you for dinner, hit me with your deeds, and then.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the affair. You know who else decided to try and message the scamer and see what they could do.
Speaker 2: Miss Victoria, Okay, let me know what you did. I'm just so satisfying. Would you like some of your own medicine, sir?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So I first tagged him in an Instagram post, calling them out as a scammer, like I put it on my stories, which We've been doing a lot recently because I've been like, please don't believe this account. It's not Jess. Anyway, I tagged them and I thought, you know what, I'm just going to tag them so people like you bet could click into the profile to report it. I thought he would block me. He did not, he replied, being like, get a life, bug off, like a lot of profanities, stay.
Speaker 3: Out of this.
Speaker 2: Stay out of this. Absolutely not. I've got all these screenshots though, I will show you later. But basically he was like, get out of this, like this isn't any of your business, and I was like, I'm making it my business. So yeah, one thing led to another. I basically said, look, I know some people that that are private investigator. I don't know one private investigator.
Speaker 3: But I've got my private investigator and he's hunting you down.
Speaker 2: But what happened was I realized that if you go to someone's Instagram account, you can look at their profile insights, right, and we'll tell you when they signed up, what location they signed up from, and how many times they've changed their profile name. And so I was like, oh, this is interesting, and I, you know, a week or so ago, I said to Jess, hey, did you know that the account is actually based in Nigeria? And also it was established in twenty eighteen, and also they've changed their name like eight times, so I'm assuming they use this account to like replicate you, then they delete everything, change the account and then replicate their can whatever. And she was like, wow, I didn't even know you could do that. So we started stalking other people and like just having a bit of fun with that, and I was like, wow, I didn't realize I joined Instagram in twenty eleven. I am really old anyway, So I had that information, sure, I assume because Jess, who usually knows absolutely everything, didn't know that. Not everybody knew that. So used it to my advantage. And I said, I'm a private investigator. I found him on TikTok. I told the guy and I said that we would create amazing content. And I was like, I mean, you can keep scamming people. But my TikTok investigator guy and I have a meeting later this afternoon, and he's already told me heaps of stuff about you. And they were like, absolutely, that's not true. You're a China scam me. And I was like, I would never scam a scammer. I, you know, used to be a financial advisor. I'm a legitimate human being. And he was like, you don't know anything about me, and I was like, well, I already know that you're based in Nigeria and you created this account in twenty eighteen, and you've already scammed seven other people in Jessica's the eighth and then they said, give me two hundred dollars and I'll delete the account. I said, that's fine, of course I would give you two hundred dollars, but you're a scammer, so I'm not giving you any money until you delete every single post change you or use the name unfollow everybody from Jessica's page that you followed, then we can talk about it, yes, And so he did all that and then I said, oh, sorry, I don't have two.
Speaker 3: So the account we think as of today that we're recording, it's not it's still.
Speaker 2: It's not active. It's been the name has been changed, it still exists. So we will continue to report it so that other people don't end up in the same trap that Jess ended up in. And obviously we've taken it further to Instagram.
Speaker 3: But oh the sorry, don't mess with Victoria Fine.
Speaker 2: Family.
Speaker 3: WHOA, that is so cool.
Speaker 2: I think my favorite part about scamming the scammer is how salty the scammer got when he realized he was being scammed. He called me fat, He called me every name under the sun. He called me ugly. He said that I have no life and my friends and family don't love me. And I was like, who.
Speaker 3: That's a lot coming from me, my dude.
Speaker 2: Rich sugar. That is hectic.
Speaker 4: But you know, I find it so funny when people out themselves as someone who is really clinging to low hanging fruit, When they call someone ugly and fat and all this stuff, I'm like, oh, you to worry about someone like you?
Speaker 2: I was like this second that started coming out. I said to Jess, scame on, like, this guy is an actual idiot, Like you might have been smart to create this Instagram account because replicating a whole Instagram account and having thirteen thousand fake followers, I was like, that's.
Speaker 3: Had more followers than me.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's trude. So everyone thought that it was like the real one was the jests with more followers, and it wasn't the case. I did. I was very convincing.
Speaker 3: It was very funny.
Speaker 2: So were these extra people.
Speaker 3: And please come over to Jessica ches Jess Kiki, thank you so much, but I'm so happy. What a great outcome VD is. We had the best horning highlight of my week.
Speaker 2: Honestly, we had the best morning scamming a scammer. Obviously. I was sending every single screenshot to Jess to be like what do I say next, and she's like, I don't know. I am just cackling, like this is amazing. But yeah, he did all of that and then didn't get his two hundred dollars from me that he obviously needed me to transfer in bitcoin. Of course, of course, of course, I was like, I'm so sorry. Don't have bitcoin. He's like, you can sign up for an account, and I'm like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I just checked.
Speaker 2: You need identification to sign up for bitcoin, and he was like, yeah, you can do that. And I was like, I don't actually have any identification or got stolen by some random and they're now pretending to be me on the internet. Oh my gosh. Anyway, there's a lot of fun. I mean, probably don't do us. I do, probably go the usual routs, but I mean a lot of people also messaged us and said, hey, this stuff happens all the time. It's really hard to get rid of these accounts because of the longevity of them. So because it had existed since twenty eighteen and they'd obviously gone through lots of profile changes since then, Instagram's algorithm just identifies it as being legitimate because they're like, well, why they're reporting it now, it's been around since twenty eighteen. Well you just take the law into your own hands.
Speaker 3: Why not stand shit?
Speaker 2: All right? You know what's better than scamming a scammer? It is our community money wins, and just we need to stop talking about scammers unless there are some money losses about scammers, in which case we want to hear about those, but I don't think there are, because I think it's just you being scammed.
Speaker 3: Babe, No, just me, just now you got this week? Okay. My first money win this week comes from Rachel, who said money win. I just harvested my first bock choy heads from my first veggie garden. A bundle awsome right, A bundle of three heads and calls is two dollars fifty, but my six pack of seedlings was only four dollars and each seedling has produced three to four heads. I'm harvesting at the base instead of pulling them out, so hopefully they'll produce new stamps and I'll get even more of them. And I just love the idea of growing your own veg because vege is expensive.
Speaker 2: Now unlimited bock choy hack, I love that.
Speaker 3: Get on that. Next, I have a money win from it Tanya, who said I found dog food on clearance for one dollar a can and bought two hundred and forty cans.
Speaker 2: A photo of.
Speaker 3: A big car it's hard to see on my crusphone. Wow, I love that. Like that is just such a good win. Next, I've got a win from Many who said money win. My friend gave me a book that I was considering buying, and I got a free coffee today two days before payday. Much needed great money win.
Speaker 2: Yeah money Oh my god, stuff was so funny.
Speaker 3: Wish We were responding as very much. If you're looking for another book, money win. Victoria's upcoming book, book number three.
Speaker 2: Do you know I finished recording that last week? So like the audio book version.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, wait, I know right, I'm so impressed for you.
Speaker 2: Worst worst process in the entire world, it would be yes. Have you ever tried to read, like literally word for word of script in a podcast. Imagine that that every time you say something wrong, they make you go back to the entire start.
Speaker 3: Oh well, you can pre order the paperback or the audiobook version on Amazon. There forty two percent off right now. So if someone is looking for a book, money win.
Speaker 2: Percent off, that is a good money win. Good dem I'm biased, but that's a really good book.
Speaker 3: It is a good book. We have read it and can confirm she stood it. I even wrote it. My next money wind comes from Eliza, who said money win. My local Viny's had a dish shopping night and I got two dresses and a vest for one hundred and forty five dollars. They had an age one last month, which was also a funny wind. But I've got to post about it. How good is that?
Speaker 2: That's actually genius? Please not gate keep location time. I'm realizing how to get updates, Like, really.
Speaker 3: Sad it's she said it was in lawn sestin Tasmania. So there you go next time you're down there, genius. Genius Dish is one of my favorite brands, and so I'm really mad that that's not Yep, that's okay. Next, I've got a money win from Addie who said small money win another coffee one. I got a free Matilda themed donut with my coffee for wearing my jersey. I love that supporting the girls ended up supporting my sweet Treat Addiction and the Tillies.
Speaker 2: I wore my Tillier scarf the other day when we're on the way to the pub to watch them play, and I really liked the attention I got from that, the amount of people screaming out their car being like, go the Tillies. I was like, is this what it feels like to be a footy guy?
Speaker 3: So proud of the goal, I could cry about this whole I love it, but it makes me so happy, but we continue. Yeah, I will cry.
Speaker 2: I'll so lend you my scarf.
Speaker 3: Next, I've got my namen from Tanya who said, found these in the frozen section, no more ava wasted. Did you know you can buy frozen avocado? Because I didn't here.
Speaker 2: I am thinking that my frozen mashed potato was revolution here and.
Speaker 3: We had that broke tip from back last two weeks ago where you said use your frozen veggies. You can make avocado a part of that.
Speaker 2: Now, Oh, I am real the brand so confused.
Speaker 3: The photo that she shared is Cole's brand. So I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Take one for the team. I'm going to purchase that. Very low expectations of how that's going to perform once thowed, because I don't know. Maybe it's good for like smoothies like blend her up. Oh god, I feel like anything that you're gonna like you would blash Masha Bond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just know that was great.
Speaker 2: I'm suspicious because avocado.
Speaker 3: You have like one day of good usable avocado and then she's gone.
Speaker 2: Josh and I have a lot of food things to do in the upcoming future.
Speaker 3: We have to have a cooking show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have to. Well, last time we tried to start a cooking show, Jessica, I literally set my kitchen on fryer on IG Live, so that was like less than ideal.
Speaker 3: Iconic moment, that is unreal.
Speaker 2: But I mean, if you want to unhinged cooking show, Jess and I are all about it. But we have to have our potato night. So we're so excited you're coming to beck. We're going to find a night where we come to my house because I have dining chairs now and we're going to have a dinner party. But entree, main course, dessert, snacks, drinks all have to be potato based.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 2: And then Jess and I have found the recipe to the chin chin padsw noodles. We're gonna make that lovely. We just have a lot of things, lots a lot of things coming up mealhouse.
Speaker 3: Well, we can add avocado frozen testing to the list.
Speaker 2: That's what we're going to do.
Speaker 3: Last money we in a solid one, Sualine. She said, money Win found a cute win address from Kmart in the twenty dollars clearance rack in my size and then it scanned.
Speaker 2: It twelve bucks. Oh my gosh money. W yeah, that's that's like a three eight dollars if you use that dodgy girl math trend.
Speaker 3: None of that here, None of that in this here.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. All right, speaking of saving money, ms Beck say ed, okay, it's your turn.
Speaker 3: Are you guys ready?
Speaker 2: We are so ready for your broke tips.
Speaker 4: First one, I remember months ago I was talking about how a review made me cry, and then I reread the reviews just recently because I was too scared to do that do so beforehand?
Speaker 2: What are you read reviews?
Speaker 4: I know I shouldn't have. But then this person apologized, and I am no, they did.
Speaker 3: They did, rews.
Speaker 2: I just thought that was really sweet.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: A lot of people don't do that, and so sobody.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, hold on, I'm so confused. So you're saying that somebody left a negative review. Yes, we talked smack about it on the podcast. Yes, after leaving a negative review on our podcast. Yes, they continued to listen to our podcast. Correct, and then they apologize.
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Correct. Do you know what personal growth?
Speaker 4: I love that, we love personal growth. I was really shy at the start of this year.
Speaker 2: So maybe I do not know what you're talking on. Like though, I was like, I don't know what I'm saying. Anyways, that's my first shoutow and now you've got a whole loaned segment. You're like, sit down, guys, you're doing three shout outs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Shout out to one of our listeners who works with Find Victoria, who encouraged me to give Find Victoria a call just to see what they can do about the jigar. Have I send them an email? I haven't called them get too shy, but I might do that.
Speaker 2: It's the coole point for you. Thank you. That's so kind of you. Jazz I would do the same thing. I love to start a little negotiation on the phone. I also fight with scammers, so I'm not sure if I'm the best for this, but you know what, it's that justice mentality that you know.
Speaker 4: That's the kind of determination I need. Okay, Well, I do have some broad tips here. There's one from Rachel who has said that there's a place in Brisbane called Lighthouse that offers a full grocery trolley for twenty five dollars.
Speaker 3: Sorry, what I know isn't that?
Speaker 4: Why does it work that can be picked up or delivered, and they often have free fruit and veggies as well. My husband and I have used it when in a tight spot and when we can often repay by dropping food off. I'm assuming it's kind of like you drop food off and it's it's a give and take sort of situation, sort of like a million and lentils as anything, so that that is useful if you are in Brisbane.
Speaker 2: The second broke tip I have comes from.
Speaker 4: Lily, who has basically just suggested that we go to the reject shop for any kind of perishables or anything when you go to Woollies, just in case of something cheaper, because you can get really cheap things from reject shop. I got like ten dollar curtains that are that will pretty good quality Discounter bodycare bodycare style, like they have body or shampoo conditioner, all of your like truthpastes.
Speaker 2: That's so true, and I feel like we overlook it. Went in there a little while ago to get like, you know those plastic phone stands to your car that go on the grain. Yes, surely reject shops going to have it. And I walked out with so much other stuff because I was like, oh my gosh, all of their laundry products so affordable. I do need more Omo and they're like all the name brands, but like they're cheap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't I don't know why they're cheap. But I'm not gonna ask any question. We are not asking questions. We are simply getting a bargain.
Speaker 2: We are just doing our best in this cost of living.
Speaker 4: Crist exactly right, VICKI d And then that brings me to my own personal brick tip of the week, which is very similar to the first one I read out. But my mother was talking about how sometimes in Harris Farm or even in Woolies, I think they do this as well. They'll have fruit and veggies at the front of the store or in Harris's Farm, I think it's at the back of the store where it's kind of like it's maybe going to go off or it's a little bit uglier than the regular fruit and veggies, and you can get like a bag full for twenty five cents.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I remember that it existed. We don't have Harris Farms in Victoria. Don't have Harrow's Farms Victoria.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: This is a new South Wales thing.
Speaker 3: Maybe in other parts of Australia. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I think it's just New South Wales, like it's a silly thing.
Speaker 4: But I know there are some certain wool words and coals that do have this. They'll have like a trolley full of produce and you can just get a bag because maybe ugly or too small cares, which I love ugly fruit.
Speaker 2: It's like coals have the odd bunch. Yeah, yes' just quite smart and I like that because I always buy the old bunch because I'm like, I don't care if we've got twisty carrots.
Speaker 3: I hate the idea of produce being rejected, like farmers putting all this effort into growing it and making it whatever, and it's like not round enough or not shiny enough for yeah, what the hell?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely no, that's good one. All right, let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to be talking about what to do with your tax return, and we've got a little bit of a dilemma that you slid into our dms about we're gonna be chatting about having a family and then moving back with your parents to save. So guys don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Welcome back everybody. Let's take a listen to the money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve the She's on The Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: Hi, Team, I just had a quick money question. So I've got some money back from my tax return and I was looking at looking in with Phil to sort out my insurances. I've also been listening to the Property Playbook, and I feel like I might be in a better position towards buying my first house than I thought. Would it be better to contact feel and sort out my superhind my insurances first as I have two super accounts, or is there a better option or someone I could speak to that would be able to kind of handle everything for me?
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: This is a really interesting one because at the start I was like, Oh, I have so much advice on what you should do with your tax return. But then it went down the property path, and then it went down the superpath. So you said you have two super accounts, and I think the first thing I would be doing is understanding what both of those accounts are and if they have insurances as default on them. If they do, you need to work out if those insurances are any good and worth keeping or if you rolled your super together it wouldn't matter. So you need to understand that. But it's also twenty twenty three and the government has a very cool MyD super comparison tool that means you could probably go and it depends if you've got a balance under one hundred thousand dollars. The probability of you being able to just do it yourself and pick a really good super fund that makes sense and aligns to the fees you want to pay, the values you hold, and the investment options that you want access to. I just feel like a lot of us don't need to pay a financial advisor for that. I really don't, and I say that because I just go, you know what, that super comparison tool run by the government is really good. It's really clear, it's really clear. It compares apples with apples. It's not here going oh okay, well, you know we're being paid by this super fund, so we're going to put it at the top of the list like it doesn't do that. It's nothing like those comparison sites. So I would be trying to do my super trying to work that out myself, sam o hand. Yeah, insurance is on the other hand, are not DIY. There's something that you do definitely want to speak to an advisor about and to save some cash because you know, you said you were trying to buy property. I would go with a financial advisor that does insurance only advice. It means that the cost is going to be significantly stripped back. Also, they're a financial advisor, so you could ask, hey, what are your thoughts on super I don't want advice on it, but I'd like to talk through what this insurance option inside supermans or what this means. They're going to have the knowledge to have that conversation, and I promise you they'll have a good conversation with you about it so that you're more educated in that She's on the money community. We always recommend Sky Wealth and we will put a link to Phil's company in the show notes because one he's done all of my team's insurances. He's very cost efficient when it comes to the statement of advice because you need a good statement of advice. It's under five hundred bucks. Like, that's a money win in any financial advice circumstance. If you go to another advisor who has not been structured to just give insurance advice like Phil's structured his business, it will be a minimum of fifteen hundred to three thousand dollars for insurance only advice because that's just what it costs that business to do, whereas Phil only does insurance. And I kind of like that because you go, you know what, I'm not going to talk to you about my investments, but I know that you know everything about insurance because it's all they do. It's their bread and butter. It's not just like for a lot of financial advisors like I historically, and I'm not trying to throw myself under a bus, but I historically worked in the investment space and for me, insurance was important because it was a hygiene factor for my client. But I'd sit just down and be like, okay, cool, so we're really prioritizing this, I'm going to go do your insurances on the side, set all of that up, but then really focus on investment. Whereas Phil his team are going to be one hundred percent dedicated to making sure that you're getting the right insurance for you. They're going to do the ongoing management really cheaply, and it's just to me, makes financial sense.
Speaker 3: The next thing, it's a laundry list.
Speaker 2: The next thing, my friend, well, she made it very clear I need to do X. I'm like, I have all these resources. Sit down, baby. The next thing you're going to do is called the Zella Money team. Not call them. We don't have a phone that you can call unless Kate gives you her mobile number. And she never answers me, so I don't know why I should answer you, or maybe she would answer you, and that's a sign. But I would talk to the Zella Money team because if you think you're in a better position to buy, that's actually one of the first conversations I'd have before establishing insurances. I would actually go and speak to the broker. And do you know why I would do that, because if you are in a better position to go and get your property of your dreams, right. Let's say that you are in the best position to buy actually right now, if you already established your insurances. Once you settle on this property, you have to review your insurances to consider the new debt that you've taken on, right, So I would be talking to the broker first and going hey, like, what's the probability? Like what do my timeframes look like? Am I comfortable with this? Is this actually something I want to do? Chat to the Zeala Money team or a mortgage broker. To be honest, I don't mind who you talk to. I obviously know and trust to the Zeala Money Team, but any good broker is going to be able to have this conversation with you, sit down with them, work out your time frames. If buying is another twelve months off, go see philp get your insurances implemented, and then at your twelve month review you can update those to be reflective of your new hopeful purchase. But if you're buying in the next two to three months, honestly I would buy and then implement insurances. Does that make sense and why you might do it that way? Say the double handling, save the double handling, save having to go back and be like, hey, I actually now have six hundred thousand dollars of debt that I didn't have before. You're going to have to do a whole new statement of advice.
Speaker 3: I don't pay for advice twas, don't pay for advice twice if you can want it exactly.
Speaker 2: So that's what I would be doing if I were you. But when it comes to what you should do with your tax return, well, my friend is up to you. But I just think that I wrote an article the other week on girl math and how much I don't particularly love this concept of girl math, because I think it really downplays how intelligent women are when it comes to finances and money and goes, oh my gosh, we're just trying to justify frivolous purchases, Whereas I would really hope that Jess, if you went out and bought a new dress, you could just be like, yeah, I like the dress. I know I can afford it, and it's in line with my values, and I'd be like, that's hot. You justifying how many times you're going to wear it and what cost per wear looks like and all of these other things. I go, that's great, and I totally think we should understand, like, Jesse, you buying a five hundred dollar dress, Like we really do need to talk about this, you gon know, wear it often? Or is this like a once off kind of thing, Like let's justify the purchase in that way, but like, let's not distill it down to you justifying a purchase you didn't need to make, because it's frivolous. Like you're smart. I know you've got a budget for your clothing. I know that's a value to you because you're literally the most fashionable person I've ever met. And it's really frustrating because I always look like a foot But it's one of those things where you go, well, actually, Jesse is really financially savvy, and if she's got a new dress, like, no one should be questioning her because I know she's made good financial decisions. And that's how everybody should be respected when it comes to financial decisions, not looking at them being like Victoria gets eyelash extensions. That's a little bit silly, do you know what I mean? I just think we're smarter than this, and in a world where we are still constantly battling to be respected as women in the finance space, to be respected as good investors or smart savers. I don't think now is actually the time that we can joke about women being frivolous with money, like we're not there yet. Isn't actually a joke. It's an underlying factor that is left over from the patriarchy being better at things. And that's why men find it funny. Right, It's not because we are actually good at money and we're like, ah, oh my god, Yess, you're so bad with money. If I laugh with Jess about being bad with money, it's because I know she's bloody good at it. Whereas that permission by having that conversation on a grander scale might make people think, oh, well, Jess just calculates that by it cost per wear, And I totally looked at this five hundred dollars dress and I'm actually gonna wear it like five hundred times, So that makes the dress like a dollar so that doesn't matter, and I totally can justify it that way, and then they pop it on their credit card. Like, I think, this narrative of not being smart financially it is going to give too many people permission to not be smart financially.
Speaker 3: Right, So with the tax retam. What you're saying is make smart money, does it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Don't be like, oh my gosh, I deserve new dresses, I deserve to do this, or oh my gosh, I deserve a weekend away. Let's actually look at your financial position. Do you have an emergency fund? Yes, fantastic? Is it completely topped up? Have you reviewed your expenses recently? Because we always say aim between three and six months or like whatever you're most comfortable with. Those are just guidelines, nothing set in stone, but people like guidelines, so we always give them. Have your expenses changed significantly recently with the increasing cost of living, but also like your mortgage repayments or something, do we need to look at that? Is that still reflective of your actual cost over three months? The answer is yes, oh fantastic, Jessica. What else are you working towards? You haven't bought a house yet. Could that go towards your house deposit and get you a little bit closer? Could that, you know, go to a million other things. I don't think it's bad to carve off a little bit as a treaty tree. Yeah, treaty tree, But I think that just blowing your entire tax return on a new handbag when you're not in a financial position to do that, because you're like, oh, it's not actually real money, it's like fake money. It's just my tax return. Actually, my friend, that is money that you earned. That is real money that you earned, that was put aside for you to pay taxes, and now it's not. So it's kind of like a bonus to get you ahead financially. Now you're deciding that that's not what you want to do with it. Again, educated decisions. You want to go buy a handbag with it, you do, you, babe, But at least you know that you're in a financially secure position. And I promise future you was going to thank you if you put yourself in a position where you have an emergency fund where you didn't have it, because whether that is five dollars or five hundred dollars that you didn't have yesterday, future you, when they need that, they can be like, oh my gosh, that was so smart of me to put that to the side. Yeah guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I reckon, she's going to do something smart because she knew she's obviously she.
Speaker 2: Knew, lady.
Speaker 3: Yes, I feel like that was just a little nice pep talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like Faithan's all right, let's move on. We have a not as spicy as usual. DN, That's okay, but it's still interesting. A topical conversation, okay, where I think it's going to divide the room? Maybe are you ready? So this week our community dilemma is this message that we received, Hi team. I currently rent a home with my husband and two children, and with recent rent increases and my self on maternity leave, we're living paycheck to paycheck with basically no savings. My lovely parents have offered to have us move into their home, but the thought of moving my family of for into the space of two bedrooms, and if I'm being honest, the thought of moving back in with my parents is one that I'm not sure I love. How do you decide between getting ahead financially and your pride and your comfort? Ooh, do you want to go first?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's so hard because I guess it depends on what your definition of paycheck to paycheck is. Because I can understand if you are literally like down to your if we're taking it like quite literally, and you're like I have every dollar accounted for, I'm barely scraping by. I can't do anything fun. I'm really stress to me. It's a really obvious choice to move back in with your parents, and I guess it is.
Speaker 2: Also massively privileged, very privileged, but.
Speaker 3: Also largely dependent on your relationship with your parents too, because I suppose if you're moving into right now, it sounds fantastic, it's so kind of them to offer that to you. But if you have a difficult relationship, or historically you've had a difficult relationship, that could be compounded by being in close quarters all of the time, And so I guess that is a factor to consider as well. I mean, if that is manageable, I feel I go for it. That's not something a lot of people have the option of. Not everybody's parents can accommodate them. Not everyone's parents will accommodate them. The amount of money, even if it was a short period of time that you could potentially save, even if you were still contributing to bills, If you're splitting bills between your parents and your family rather than just paying them yourself, that's still gonna put you quite far ahead. So it's kind of like short term pay, long term gain. Yeah, but for some people. They might love their family. They might be like, oh my god, movie nights free babysitting, Like it's gonna be like the Brady Bunching.
Speaker 2: My girlfriends literally ended up buying a house that was two houses stuck together so that she could be that close with her parents in law. That's cute, and I think that is so wholesome, like so incredible.
Speaker 3: No, not for me, but I.
Speaker 2: Love Steve's parents, but I cannot imagine being that close to other people. But then there are people that are like, no, babe, I thrive on that. It's literally the best thing. Our kids are obsessed with just having their grandparents downstairs. And I'm like, oh, that sounds amazing for you, And.
Speaker 3: I guess that's where the comfort thing really comes in. There is if you're someone who really I'm very introveted. I like having my space. That's what I need to recharge. Adding more people into that situation for me would suck.
Speaker 2: You can move in with me, It's okay, Yeah, you can't bring your cats because then there would be two four D dog Actually no, I mean I'm for that. I've changed my mind. We'll convinced Eve.
Speaker 3: We'll figure it out. But yeah, like for some people, I can see why you would be concerned as well, and it can be a hard thing to say, Like if your parents have said, oh, like you can move in with us, it's also hard to then justify to them why you wouldn't want to do that without really like you, yeah, like, that's not what I'm saying. It's just my space and my time and my like where do we put our stuff?
Speaker 2: I'm an adult now. Yeah, it's it's a hard conversation to have as well. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: It's such a tough one because I guess exactly what you're saying, Like, what is the dynamic here? If you have parents who I guess like you're kind of walking around the house not wanting to upset them, would you feel like you have the kind of relationship where they maybe don't respect your boundaries, They're coming into your personal space a lot of the time. Would they be offended if you need alone time after spending a lot of time with them, Do you feel like you just be constantly anxious that you've upset them at some point? I just don't think I would want to live like that. If that's the relationship that you have. But if you have like super crazy parents, like they are totally totally respected boundaries, they can give you all the pricy you need. They understand that you have your own family, and they understand that people need space and time, and they can be grumpy, they can be happy all these things. If they're completely accepting of that, and you're not worried about anything, then like, sure, do it.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I understand it's way more to it.
Speaker 4: Of course, like reducing your space to just two bedrooms, so the comfort there is something that you'd have to really compromise.
Speaker 2: But exactly exactly what you're saying, like a little.
Speaker 4: Bit, just do it for a little bit of time, save up some money, wait unto you're comfortable, go back out there and try again, and then if you get down the dragon or whatever the.
Speaker 2: Song says, that's the song to be listening to right now.
Speaker 4: But exactly right, Jessica, I do actually tend to agree with you for this one. Just if you have the resources to stay with your parents and you have that ability to take advantage for a little while, unless it will really stress you out, then it's not worth it.
Speaker 2: What do you reckon bed I'm probably a little bit more planned.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm proper.
Speaker 2: I don't think any of you are going to see this coming, but I would want you to make a plan. So I want you to actually sit down and not make a decision yet, like do a pros and CON's list of like what are all the benefits of moving in? And then what are the cons? Like be savage because those things could make or break relationships.
Speaker 3: Don't leave it anywhere anyone could read.
Speaker 2: It, burn it, put it in your phone, and then backspace it once you're done. Like the CON's list doesn't need to see the light of day. But you need to sit down with your partner in this circumstance, all right, yess what's the worst thing? And Jess could be like v I literally hate it when Steve xyzs and I'll be like, whoop, don't tell Steve that's good to have on the list. So I think it's important to look at your pros and cons and then make a plan and be really clear on that plan. So why are you making this decision? Because if you go, oh, Beck, you can move back in with me to save a bit of money, and you go, yeah, no worries well what does that mean, Like, look at your budget, to a comprehensive budget and sit down and go all right, well, if we're not paying rent for this period of time, we're going to save twelve hundred dollars two and a half thousand dollars a month. Whatever that looks like. Is that feasible? What other fees and charges and other things in the background. Might we have to.
Speaker 3: Pay storage for your furniture or something, all of.
Speaker 2: That kind of stuff. But also I would be adding in some personal time too. You know, obviously you need to be discussing this with your parents because there's kids involved. But I'm going to make the grand assumption that if you're living under the same roof as somebody else, you're probably going to want maybe like an extra date night or something away from that dynamic to make it more palatable in the long term. Yes, good work. You're going to sit down and work out Okay, Well, Jess and I've worked out that if we move our family back in with my parents, we're going to save twenty five hundred dollars a month at a minimum. How much do we want to save? What is the goal here? Like, are we just saving for a month. Are we saving for three months? Are we saving for six months? Are we saving a whole house deposit? If we are saving a whole house deposit, what does that look like? Is that ten thousand dollars? Is it one hundred thousand dollars? I'm going to move back in with my parents to do your whole house deposit and that's going to be four years? What does that actually look like? And I would say shameless plug use the she's on the money goal setting activity, which means that you are specific, optimistic, time bound, and then also measurable. So the measurable part will come in. If you say you're saving twenty five hundred dollars a month and you need to get to ten thousand dollars, what will that look like? It's that time frame. Then once you've done your plan, you're going to hide the cons list because if you've then decided to move in with your parents, just delete all of that. Yeah, pretend it didn't happen, and then you're going to go, hey, mom and dad, before we move in, can we just have a really big chat about what this means, because we really flip it. We really want to respect your boundaries, not take advantage of the home that you own and understand what that would mean, because they might go, oh, one, that's really thoughtful, but two they probably haven't thought about it. Is there anything like my parents? My parents would jump at the chance to have Steve and I move back in. That's cute. Like they would be like, yep, yep, come live, come stay, like we hear from them often when you come to stay with us, when you're coming down, when are you going to And that's so kind and I adore it, But I would want to be like, okay, cool, Like what would be the dynamic of cooking every night? Especially if I have two young kids? Because there's more of us now than of my parents, So is there an expectation and that you know we're contributing a bit more Mum and dad, don't worry, we'll do all the cooking. We'll just jointly fund groceries. You guys have basically private chef now money when life, when domestic chores? How's the house going to stay clean? Can we talk about these things and set some really realistic boundaries and expectations before moving in, Because what if you're not as thoughtful as Jess Jess? Oh, my god, if you moved in with her, she just like clean your room too. But what if you're not that thoughtful, and you've got your two kids running around and your husband that maybe isn't that good at domestic work, and then your mom's like far out and cleaning up after them all the time. That's not fair. So I think having these conversations up front, having a time frame, having a desired outcome for why we are doing that is one going to mean going into the house would be easier, But also it keeps your eye on the prize when you're there and things are hard. Oh yes, it doesn't really matter, Like, do you know we're halfway to that home deposit? Do you know we're halfway to that emergency fund? Oh so much for Okay, well maybe we'll use fifty bucks and we'll go get a pizza and needed in the park together and just get out of this house for a bit. Yeah, does that make sense? So you need really clear boundaries, really clear goals, and understanding what that actually means. When everybody else, oh my gosh, everybody had such colorful opinions. All right, So first we asked our community, have you moved back in with your parents. Fifty three percent of you said yes, Oh Genesis. We said if yes, how long for? So this was pretty split. Twenty percent of you said one to three months, twenty two percent said three to six, twenty five percent said six to twelve, and thirty three percent said for more than a year. We then had a couple of dams, which I think were really irrelevant. So someone said, I think it's worth looking at it with your husband and making a plan. You're so smart. I wish i'd thought of that, of what it could look like if you moved back in with your parents. It's a really great opportunity to get ahead and save yourself some stress if you can to do it in a way that you and your husband are comfortable with. I'm guessing the added benefit could be some extra help with the kids. Someone said, I recently moved in with my partner and his mum after some hesitancy, But it's actually been a game changer. Once you can see what you can achieve with the extra money, it feels like a weight has been lifted. If it is only temporary to get ahead, keep reminding yourself that by this time next year, or whatever your goal is, you'll actually own your own space and will be X dollars better off, with much more financial freedom and oververall a better quality of life. I honestly think it is worth temporary discomfort in order to achieve your lifelong goals.
Speaker 3: No pain, no gain again.
Speaker 2: Baby. Then in our little like reply box, which are much shorter, so people said, I think so it's hard, but it would be financially rewarding. Someone said, hell, no, I'm not moving back in with my parents. I'll live on the street. I said, talk with your partner and if it's a yes, set a time limit on you so mentally you know there's an end date. Someone said, I moved back in with my parents to say for he had fast to posit. It was painful, but we saved seventy k Wowly. Someone said, financially it's a blessing, but mentally might not be so healthy. You need to set very strict boundaries.
Speaker 3: The boundaries thing is a big one. It's like a housemate thing. I'm like, what if your mum came in and just like picked up your undies so your heartners undies, so wash them for you because she's really nice. But I would hate like I would just hate that.
Speaker 2: My ex boyfriend's mum used to do that. Bless bless her. She was the kindest person in the entire world. But when you were in your very early twenties and your boyfriend's mum at the time folds your G string and puts it on the end of.
Speaker 3: The bed, Oh my god, that's so cute.
Speaker 2: You're moultified.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's not a good feel like you're like, oh, that's so nice.
Speaker 3: Where did you find that?
Speaker 2: You would be a surprised. I've never done it myself, but she definitely did it, and it looked very pretty, very perfect, and I really didn't want to face her everything.
Speaker 3: That's understandable.
Speaker 2: Someone said, I'm moving with my mum. It was an ideal, but I can't afford to move back to Australia without this option. So I just think there's lots of different situations and lots of different outcomes. I think the general consensus though, from our community is make a plan, understand the pros and cons set boundaries, and understand your end goal. It's not just me, guys. Yes, perfect advice. We're trying our best and to be honest, if you can do it. It's kind of genius to save money. Pretty French is expensive if you could save that amount per month like no amount option, short term pain, long term gay. That's it all right, guys, I think we are done here. We have some fun things to get to. We will see you on Monday for a money Darry. We hope you have the best weekend ever.
Speaker 3: We love you, goodbye, bye bye.
Speaker 2: The advice shared on Cheese on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money SHERPA, pty LTD ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine