Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name is Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money podcast that makes personal finance fun, especially on Fridays. It is our favorite day of the week because we get to get our team together and celebrate you our incredible She's on the Money community today, MSUs Gorici is going to be sharing her favorite money wins from the group.
Speaker 1: Beck is going to be sharing her breake.
Speaker 4: Tips, and we're going to be helping to answer our money dilemma, which this week is all about if paying off debts should come first. When you score a sweet bonus and something that you slid into our dams about this week, we're talking whether chasing up friends for a few dollars makes you.
Speaker 1: Petty or practical, which I feel like.
Speaker 4: Is going to get some divisive conversations going around the table. But before we get there, I usually ask you how your weeks were. But we've been chatting offline, and while we shouldn't read our own.
Speaker 1: Reviews, we do. We do.
Speaker 4: We do, and there have been some really beautiful ones. So each person in the team has picked out their favorite five star review and we're going to read it and share it with each other because I feel like that's just spreading good positivity and I just like the vibes. So Beck, what are you bringing to the table.
Speaker 5: This Obviously there were so many good ones and some that, like you know, mentioned all this individually, and so I.
Speaker 1: Just want, as long is it something nice.
Speaker 5: I get so anxious and then I'm like, i'll read it. I'll be like, Okay, that's actually really nice that. So I want those people to know that I really appreciate those. But I did want to be selfish, So I'm going to read one that's just a general one. This one's from Paula. It says, such a beautifully thought out and put together podcast, full of relatable, approachable content that is highly valuable and smart. So nice.
Speaker 1: I love it. Jess, what have you got? Mind's a little bit longer? It's from and it said, I've got a long one too. Perfect.
Speaker 6: I've been a long time listener, but with periods of stopping, and have absolutely loved the last year and the structure of each week's podcasts. I'm now going back and listening to those episodes I've missed. Victoria, Jess and Beck are a great group of girls to listen to, and they always have me laughing, very engaging, and the content is always helpful or interesting. I'm so grateful that Victoria has kept this podcast going. I wouldn't be in the position I am today if it wasn't for the pod, especially being brought up with no financial literacy.
Speaker 1: Isn't that so sweet?
Speaker 5: That's really what we do? Yeah, ah, alright, this is so sweet.
Speaker 4: I like this because I feel like we're setting ourselves up with like such a little pep in our step.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is good. This is good.
Speaker 4: So my favorite five star review is from Liz Cox, and it's actually the reason why I wanted to share some positivity, right, so she said, to all the people who are making specific comments with those star ratings, I think you're missing the fundamental point here. I'm forty one and have learned more about finances and investing in the past month with the help of this podcast and a few others than I have in all my years living, and the information has been invaluable. I wish I had got this type of thing years ago. This information is free, so informative and so useful.
Speaker 5: Is so sweet, and thank you for sticking up for us, because it is so funny when you're like, oh wow, my personality has never been on blast like this before.
Speaker 1: I can't change can't change anything. Actually, you're choosing to be here.
Speaker 5: You're free, and we're just trying to help people learn.
Speaker 1: I just really like talking about money.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate someone was silly enough to consistently let me have a platform to do that. And the fact that people still listen blows my mind and I'm so grateful for it. But overlaying all of that, the fact that women in particular are changing their lives because of the content that we create.
Speaker 1: I couldn't be more proud it's really beautiful. Isn't that so cool?
Speaker 4: Keeping on the positive notes, Jess, I want to know money wins and confessions from our Facebook community.
Speaker 1: What have you got this week already?
Speaker 6: Firstly, when I think we can all appreciate from Bailey Jean who said money win, I am a size seven women's shoe, but I fit into a children's size six.
Speaker 1: Is that? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I bought a set of Additor summers, which are obviously very trendy right now on the weekend from the children's section for one hundred and thirty dollars rather than paying the full price women's which were one hundred and eighty.
Speaker 4: Oh god, it's actually so smart. And there's sand Bears that I want always out in the colorway that I want, so I still do not own sand Bears.
Speaker 1: Please bring back the beam pink. I don't know it's that one. I don't know that's but I know that I will like it. If it's like a fluo pink.
Speaker 4: It's they're just really one's brook or Georgia has no Okay, the team really likes we do.
Speaker 1: We're all. She's got the Neapolitan ones.
Speaker 4: George's got these like real beautiful, like hot pink ones like to.
Speaker 6: Google, I share a pick after Yes, thank you. Next, I've got a money win from Grace, who said Medibank gave me one hundred dollars for staying in customer during the COVID period. Thanks many Bank, I know how nice honey money went straight back into her bills account. So ready to little circular economy there. Next, I've got a money win from Mandy, who said she confronted her boss and made sure she got the higher duty pay she was entitled to. She said she worked in a male dominated industry and the leading hand above her was going on a holiday. Leading up to his leave, he tried delegating his job out and writing out a schedule so no one had to step into the role entirely to be entitled to his pay. She took on the majority of this stuff and the things that he said, oh, don't worry about that. She also was going to have to deal with if something went wrong. So after he leaves the country, she spoke to her boss and you.
Speaker 4: Wait until he left the country.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And her boss confirmed that she is effectively doing that role. So she brought up the higher duty's clause in her contract, and she agreed that she was entitled.
Speaker 1: To the pay, so money, we're sick, bit of a conic.
Speaker 4: Also, I think it's so funny, Like it's not funny, but it is funny, Like we just girls, Like I don't want to be confrontational about this, but I also deserve to get paid what I deserve to get paid. So I am going to wait till you leave the country and then I'm going to bring it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also hate that she when you drank the confrontation. Don't like you had to do that, but you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally good for you.
Speaker 6: So sneaky to be like, oh, I'm splitting it up between everyone, so everyone has no work and no one has more pay.
Speaker 1: That's so dotty, sneak.
Speaker 6: Well done, Mandy, Really happy for you, queen. Next, I've got a money win from Rachel, who said she got a very nice bonus for referring a friend to a lovely real estate agent who had previously helped sell her family home. She connected her friends to the agent and they then used them for something and they got a couple hundred bucks in cash.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 6: She said she thought she'd maybe get like a bottle of wine or something, and instead cha Chin.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love cash instead of wine. Yeah, oh yeah, give me the way.
Speaker 4: Imagine he is a fifty dollars crispy note back. This tastes much better than why.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, and you can buy twenty.
Speaker 4: However, many bottles of goon, bottles of goon, bags of goon.
Speaker 5: Bags of goon.
Speaker 4: Baby.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 6: Next, I've got money win from Caitlin who said she just booked flights to Switzerland and I immediately ooh pricey, but she said it was a third of the normal price. They paid three thousand dollars in total for two people return from Brisbane to Zurich, which is unbelievably cheap fifteen hundred dollars return flight.
Speaker 1: Then when you get there in burgers l fifty bucks seat, she'll be like, why didn't I come just with I.
Speaker 5: Wonder if it's like a crazy layover or something.
Speaker 6: I don't know, but it was with Kata, she said, if anybody should look it up for themselves, So there you go.
Speaker 1: I love that. And then lastly, I just wanted to.
Speaker 6: Shout out we got a lot of good pet tax photos this week, so definitely go to the thread, but shout out to Alisha, Sarah, Brooke, and Gabby who all included photos of their pets, not just capts and dogs. We had chickens, we had horsps. It's all happening on the thread this week. Can go have a look and don't forget to leave your money win there so I can have a look and maybe.
Speaker 1: Read yours out next week. Yeah, we actually don't charge for our community. It's a free community.
Speaker 4: You can join it obviously, look up She's on the money on Facebook and join. But we do ask for pet tax, and pet tax is payable in the form of photos being posted in our group of your pets.
Speaker 5: If you don't pet, you take a photo of You.
Speaker 1: Can share other people's pets.
Speaker 4: You can share cute pictures that you found on Instagram or Facebook.
Speaker 1: Literally wildlife, like we don't care is it an animal? I mean, you talk about the pet.
Speaker 6: You've got a face to photo of the fet.
Speaker 4: Like, they're the rules there, the rules.
Speaker 1: Talk about a pet. You got to post a photo of the pet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they're the rules and we made them because it's actually my group and I can do whatever I want.
Speaker 1: Well, exactly, isn't that cool? Exactly right?
Speaker 4: This is what people do with adult decisions. Like, you know, when people like what would you do with adult money? Obviously I said, I wasn't going to ask you about your weeks, but like, Jess, what did we do with our adult money this week?
Speaker 6: Well, we had a very fun team retreat this week, which we did. We had a lot of fun. We stayed at a really cute little hotel in the city, which is really great.
Speaker 4: Stayed at the Pullman, which was like bougie. It was very There was a baf in room, Beck, a bath. Ye you like hotel when there's a bath.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, And I did fill that bath with bubbles.
Speaker 1: It was lovely.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Like the bath wasn't in her room, so she borrowed my room for a bath because obviously I'm not going to just take the bath for myself.
Speaker 6: No. It was incredible, but we in the midst of our working day, we were a little bit brain dead, and so we said.
Speaker 1: You know what we should do?
Speaker 4: Do you know what's going to make us feel better? Guess Beck, what would make us feel better in the middle of the day.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm thinking like gyg or something like that.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love a bigger, bigger It is also like I mean food themed in a way.
Speaker 5: Melbourne Royal Show Petting Farm so close we would do that. We went to the aquarancy Pesto Pesto, which I don't know who that is.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to say for those who don't have.
Speaker 4: So so for those of you who don't know, Pesto Pesto is a king penguin baby who was born in captivity the Melbourne Aquarium. He is the biggest king penguin to have been born in captivity in Australia. He's so shonky and he's standing next to his mum, who looks half his size.
Speaker 1: He's still got all of his baby feathers, so he looks like brown and fluffy, not like a king penguin, and he beck is the cutest thing you've seen in your life.
Speaker 4: I just showed her the video that I took. I actually got a photo with Pesto life made. We posted it in our broadcast channel. So on Instagram, we kind of have like a it's kind of like a group chat for all of us, but like we just post I guess behind the scenes content if she's on the money, things that we're up to every day. We post some polls, if we've got questions. And I posted my selfie with Pesto in the group because that's obviously the content that you guys are here for. But of course that's what you can do with adult money.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I love having adult money.
Speaker 4: You can charge people pet tax, you can take your team to go see Pesto the Penguin.
Speaker 1: Like life is good. Yeah, it's great, but I mean getting a little stay ca midweek not mad at me? Even better.
Speaker 4: We actually just got back back. We stayed there last night, came to the studio from the hotel.
Speaker 1: I could feel a glow.
Speaker 4: I feel really nice, slept very well, but like last night, team got to go out. Just had a little watermelon cocktail.
Speaker 1: I don't want to drink and I was like what.
Speaker 5: As she goes on the table, a few would.
Speaker 4: Find pizzas and I was like, it doesn't even feel like it's a midweek night.
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 5: But it does suck when you remind yourself by like you're sitting there, you're having the best time. Then you remind yourself you do have work tomorrow, and then you feel that.
Speaker 1: You're feeling your belly. I'm going to have work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we didn't want to leave. We actually wanted to move in Alas. We can't afford to live in hotels, so we just do.
Speaker 1: It part time break tips.
Speaker 6: We could save up money to do it.
Speaker 4: We absolutely could. I mean we didn't save up our points and spent that. So that's yeah, yeah, brick tip. It's actually a pretty good break tip. But Jess, let's segue away from your money wins and into your broke tips.
Speaker 1: If you got to bring to the table this week.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I'm really loving the ones I have this week. Actually, so the first one comes from a friend of mine, not Jess, but actually I do have another friend, one other from Bianca, who says, if you keep the you know those little pillows in your pill bottles that are like.
Speaker 1: For moisture, oh, like the moisture clothes and stuff. Yeah, pillows.
Speaker 5: So if you put those in like your bathroom drawers or your makeup bags and stuff, it's the moisture something something, something happening.
Speaker 1: That's a very helpful tips.
Speaker 4: The moisture getting into like your makeup and like your undies and sock straw and stuff. Yes, that's all moral and smart.
Speaker 1: I put them in my cookie jars when I make cookies. Yes, because I like a crispy cookie.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's actually a really good idea.
Speaker 1: It broke tip for you.
Speaker 5: That's great, and then things last longer.
Speaker 1: Because the anchor and i'd get along.
Speaker 5: Well, I actually do think so I really think you'd like this. Next one comes from Kylie, who sent me a photo of an app. It's called half Price Coles Woolwards like your plate store or whatever.
Speaker 1: That is so perfect.
Speaker 4: Someone DMed me this week and said, you need to share with your community this half price app.
Speaker 1: Perfect. I haven't had time to look into it, but you have. Now it's a broke tip.
Speaker 5: Now it's a broke tip.
Speaker 1: So the app's called half Price.
Speaker 5: It is basically get the latest half price specials from Coals and wool Words for free. No catalogs need it, even though I do love a catalog.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but also there's an app. You don't have to read the catalog. It pulls it all together for you.
Speaker 5: Sure it is better for the environment, isn't it that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You just like you jump on there, you check if you want to do if you do a weekly grocery. I'm really obviously you guys know what a bad with money, So I do a daily grocery shop and it costs a lot more money. But if you do do a weekly shop, yeah, jump on there first and just see what's on, see what's half price, and maybe you like do a challenge. We just only get half price.
Speaker 6: Thing I will not pay full price for like cleaning products, laundry detergent pods. Be scared, like because they all run on a cycle, like every two to three weeks, they all go to half price. So I will flat out refuse to buy them full price because I know in like two or three weeks that we half price.
Speaker 5: That's I didn't know they ran on a cycle. Let's say, do good information.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a guy on TikTok who there's a he made a plugin I think that goes on your Corome browser. Yeah, so it sharks it like and you can literally see some products like one week it's thirty dollars and the next week it's fifteen, and it just alternates weeks.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is something that really makes me quite angry. Actually, I wrote an article on Sunday. I write every Sunday for the Age and the Sydney Morning Herald. It is probably the coolest thing about my career at this point, like I have a weekly money column, be for real, and I have complete control over what I publish, which is very very cool.
Speaker 5: But this week dangerous.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But this week I talked about how the A Triple C is taking action against coals and bullies essentially for price gouging. And I have been really fired up about this for a long time because that guy on TikTok Jess he shows that, you know, the prices go up and the prices go down, but if he goes back a little bit further, like he used Oreos as an example in one of his videos, and he showed that, you know, this week, they were like five dollars a packet, and then they were on sale for like three dollars a packet, which Becky might go, that's a pretty good deal. But then he goes back further and he goes, well, actually, six months ago, three dollars was the full price.
Speaker 1: And they would go on sale for two fifty and for a dollar. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like and all of that is fine, but you just look at it and go hold on. Your actually being quite manipulative here, trying to convince me that three dollars is a good deal. For this item when historically it was more and obviously oreos. From my perspective, they are an essential purchase to me, like they are actually a luxury purchase. But this is happening on bread and milk and all of the things that we can't control.
Speaker 1: And obviously I follow the news quite closely.
Speaker 4: But Albo our mate Anthony Albanezi, who is our Prime minister, posted this week and said have you ever done a double take on the specials tag?
Speaker 1: He said, it's not good enough.
Speaker 4: That's why he's beefing up the a Triple C with more funding to take on misleading and.
Speaker 1: Deceptive pricing, which is I think a really good thing.
Speaker 4: Like this isn't a political statement at all either, Like I'm just sharing that our current government is doing something about it and that's what we love to see here, not a political conversation.
Speaker 1: And they've introduced new mandatory.
Speaker 4: Food and Grocery Code which means that supermarkets will face huge multimillion dollar fines for doing the wrong thing. I think that is a very good step in a very correct direction when it comes to you know, obviously times are tough, Inflation is really hard, the cost of goods and services are going to increase, but people taking advantage of us during that period of time unacceptable total.
Speaker 1: Perspect You totally agree, Yeah, totally, so good money went back. Thank you. Sorry for the side.
Speaker 4: No, it just had some information that I wanted to share because this is now a news podcast.
Speaker 5: Please, No, I'm very grateful for all information is good information.
Speaker 1: So tell me what's your broke tip.
Speaker 5: So Jess always has a way of accidentally perfectly segueing, because you did say something about plugging before. I really, I'm really clutching its straws here, but you say that's perfect.
Speaker 1: Something about plugging from it. You've got to plug in for us.
Speaker 5: Yes, So I was buying you know Millie Savage. You went to school with Millie Savage. I love Millie Savage. Yeah, and I was so I was online. I was buying some really savage stuff because it's it's my partner's birthy and soon, and I was just like, I was just getting early. She was also having a sale, but anyway, so there was a sale on and then also I went to the checkout and I totally forgot I had this the few plugins, a few extensions in my chrome, and miraculously without doing literally anything, an extra fifty dollars was taken off the pie.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, what so this extension gave you fifty bucks off and did it for you and you didn't even have to like I did the discount.
Speaker 1: I don't remember doing anything. I don't like it came up and what's the extension?
Speaker 5: So there is Honey, there's also Pouch and coopert all of them on Running Broke.
Speaker 4: Tip, have all of the extensions. Don't just limit yourself to one, all of them.
Speaker 5: It's like you know, and also make sure you're not downloading viruses, but like just just google them and then download all of them.
Speaker 1: Download legitimate ones. We know that Honey is legit.
Speaker 4: We know shot back, cash rewards all of those. Like you don't have to be monogamous when it comes to astly cash back absolutely with everybody.
Speaker 6: Yeah, those things are really good because they often will automatically when you get to like your checkout, you'll just like run it for you. And so I've used I don't know, I haven't used other ones, but I've used Honey before and I know that it'll like automatically plug in and try like a bunch of discount codes.
Speaker 5: Any that has on file and.
Speaker 1: Like, I love that.
Speaker 6: So it's I literally feel like you know in.
Speaker 1: A way, yeah, because it does it.
Speaker 5: It's like in a movie when someone's like used to hacking something, because literally it just is running through coupon codes.
Speaker 6: It'll be like try Happy New Year, happy Birthday, I miss you ten Like yeah, runs through any of that.
Speaker 1: That's what I do and check out, honey, the better version of me quite possible could replace you.
Speaker 5: It's kind of anxiety inducing though you're like waiting your home. It's going to work, but it is good to just have. So that's fine.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: So we've got some discounts from Beck, We've got some money wins from Jess, we had.
Speaker 1: Some cute five star reviews.
Speaker 4: Let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, we're going to be talking about if paying a if your debt should come first when you score a sweet bonus, and we're going to be getting into something juicier about whether chasing up your mate for a couple of dollars is petty or really practical.
Speaker 1: So don't go anywhere. Welcome back, everyone.
Speaker 6: Let's take a listen to the money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, there have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve. The Sheese on The Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 8: Hi team, Firstly, you love the pod. I'm single, in my thirties and have a really good income. I am set to receive a seventeen thousand dollars bonus, which is amazing. This is the gross amount and I'm due to get it in the next couple of weeks. I'm extremely lucky to receive this, but I just wanted some advice on how to use it. I want to do some renaults on my house and I've wanted to do it for a while now, but I also have eleven thousand dollars worth of debt and this is not included in my mortgage. Obviously, this debt is from past bad decisions, a personal loan that has for one thousand dollars left. That was eighteen thousand and the rest is on an interest free credit card. For trouble, I'd love some advice on how I should manage this obviously a big sum of money the renovations I really want to do, but I know that having this debt gone would make a huge difference. Thanks.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have an answer that I don't want to go first, So.
Speaker 1: Beck, what would you do? Okay? So first of all, Beckui's like I would just go on a holiday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, seriously, I would not be doing responsible things with that money, but that's cool. I just want to say, like paying down that debt eighteen thousand dollars like on a personal loan tune, which I assume is like quite high interest, Like, that's incredible, so very very well done. Personally, I don't know, it's probably not the right thing to do, but I would just pay the four thousand from the personal loans that just like wipe that out of the way, and then slowly pay off the interestry credit card at your leisure and then you want to do redo's you want to do things like that. I would probably see how much that costs, maybe put a little bit aside for that and see if there was like you know, say for example, you want to like do your whole bathroom be like, oh, I would feel good right now if maybe just the walls were painted, and then do the rest later. Like I would probably just find a way to do as much as they could with that money, the remaining money, and then honestly treat myself with the rest. I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that, and I think that working. You said something really good about the renovations, Like, for example, I'm about to renovate my bathrooms, and like I had no idea what that would cost. So like have I renovated before, Yes, But like every single time you renovate, it's going to be a different amount because there might be different like facilities. So for example, in the first house that I renovated, everything.
Speaker 1: Was brick, so, like all the walls were brick.
Speaker 4: Which meant that moving things took a lot of time, a lot of energy, really hard. We are now renovating in a house that is basically it's like a shack, it's like a beach house, and it's got the thinnest walls in the entire world. Like some of the walls don't even go all the way to the roof, so like removing them or changing and super easy, so much less of a cost. However, I actually went into Reese Plumbing the other day because they like do like that free consult thing, and they were explaining that with the design that I had drawn, arm there are going to be some hidden costs because moving like the toilet to where I want to move it to is going to be a bit more expensive than I'd anticipated because I didn't realize that, like moving the plumbing was like something that was so much more expensive.
Speaker 1: And that's fine.
Speaker 4: But your idea of going and getting a budget and understanding what it might cost for you is really good because you could google it, but like that's not going to give you insight. Like I've seen online people who renovated their budget for two grand and then people who spent fifty thousand dollars and you just yeah, never know, right, But I think that's good advice.
Speaker 1: Jess, what would you do?
Speaker 6: I think an important part she said that a lot of her debt that she has is from bad past decisions, and someone who's also been there, I think an important part of like moving out of that phase of your life is learning to make sacrifice, because I think it really helps you then go what is the cost of the things that I did. So, like, if I've spent all this money put it on a credit card and it wasn't a necessity, Like you went on a holiday and maybe you couldn't fall the holidays you put on the card. I think an important part of like growing out of that habit or that phase is going okay, Well, because I did that, I now need to make sacrifice. So to me personally, it feels important to pay that debt down, even the interest free debt, as much as you're not like you're totally right back, like you're a bad debt. Yeah, from a financial perspective, like you're not losing money to inter on that, I agree, the personal loan is definitely the more pressing priority that I would say has to be paid off. But I think like learning to go, oh, well, I really want to renovate my bathroom, but I still need to make up for the money that I've spent. And I think that it would be a really good way to kind of help teach yourself good financial habits to go okay, Like as much as I want that thing, knowing that I've earned this great sum of money, using that to pay down my debt is the more financially responsible choice from my perspective, and I think that doing that will really help solidify you into good habits, or at least that was my personal experience. Like from a financial perspective, you know, the interest free card is maybe not the worst thing in the world, and maybe you could split the money up and that would also work really well. But I mean, just speaking on what worked for me, I think maybe learning to go okay, Like I want to close that chapter of my life of bad spending, and you know, make the choice that is maybe not the fun choice, not the exciting choice, but the one that will put me in the strongest foundational position is probably I would suggest. But I mean, you could do it whatever you want.
Speaker 4: So obviously there are two different opinions, and that is great because we all do what's in line with our own values. And I don't know her values. But if I was in this position, I would actually step back. I know, I've got seventeen thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: First thing I.
Speaker 4: Would do is actually go and work out what my renovations are going to cost, so that I can create myself a little budget.
Speaker 1: Then what I'm going to do. I'm going to trot down to Zella Money. You need a.
Speaker 4: Good mortgage broker. A mortgage broker is going to sit you down and help you structure your debt. And I don't think a lot of people know that we do this.
Speaker 1: So you've got.
Speaker 4: Seventeen thousand dollars in cash, that's fantastic. There is heaps of things you could do. You could go on a holiday, you could pay it all off your mortgage, you could pay off your personal debt. You could spend all of that money on a renovation. But what I want you to do is sit down with a mortgage broker who can look at your mortgage and go, okay, cool, do you have any equity? What would that look like potentially to release some of that equity to spend your renovations.
Speaker 1: Chatting with a broker to say, hey, beck.
Speaker 4: I know that you've bought this apartment and you want to do renovations, but what's the long term plan? Are you moving out of this in six months? And you go, yeah, well, I only bought it so that I could get the first homeowners grants and now I want to move out because.
Speaker 1: You know it's not even in the suburb.
Speaker 4: That I want to live in, Like I'm just making up a situation, right, And your broker could actually say, well, actually, let's step back and look at rental yield in the area. Well, Beck, I know you want a new kitchen, and that sounds great, Saw Victoria do her Kerboodle kitchen look to the elite, but it doesn't actually add any value to you leasing out your property. So you know, spending ten grand on the kitchen is probably not actually a good investment because your kitchen's fine. Maybe aesthetically you don't like it, but they're going to be able to give you some ideas and some insight as to whether the decisions you're making around renovation are going to add to value or over capitalize the property, which is a really important factor to take into consideration when doing renovations, because you don't want to go all right, well, I bought my apartment for five hundred thousand dollars and then oh, it's not the right kitchen and not the right bathrooms, and I'm not going to leave here forever, but I'm going to spend some money on it, and then you actually ultimately have put more money into this property than what you would get back if you sold. It is not putting you and future you in the best possible position. Obviously that is not necessarily the reality of her situation. But what I want you to get from this is that talking to a mortgage broker is going to put you in control. That mortgage broker can then sit you down and have a look at your debt. So one thing a mortgage broker can do as well is take that interest free loan and maybe consolidate it with your mortgage. They could also advise you to pay it off from your seventeen thousand dollars worth of cash. I definitely think that that high interest four thousand dollar loan should be knocked on the head pretty quickly. But again, there's so many moving parts. But what I would be doing is getting some advice. And the money in here is that talking to a mortgage broker most of the time, and I know in my business it is. It's free, So like you're not going to pay to go to Zella money. Some mortgage brokers do charge. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that's their choice.
Speaker 1: I just don't.
Speaker 4: And the reason I don't charge for appointments is because I know that I will be paid by the bank for settling your loan, and I don't want to double dip. I just doesn't see it right with me, And that's fine, But that's probably where I.
Speaker 1: Would go with that.
Speaker 5: Okay, I like it. I like it.
Speaker 4: Just get advice, Like, if you've got these experts at your disposal.
Speaker 1: Why are we not using them?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Like, I know that you're trying to do the absolute right thing, and that's so exciting, but like zoom out of it. Be like, oh, I could talk to a mortgage broker, you know what, they might even be able to refinance your loan, like and get you a lower interest rate, and across the board, you'd be able to pay off your mortgage quicker and you'd be in an even better financial position.
Speaker 1: So true, sexy.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get into something a little bit sparky.
Speaker 1: Are you ready? Are you ready?
Speaker 4: So this week we got a DM and it sounded exactly like this, heyshi's on the money.
Speaker 1: I've been labeled the tight us in my.
Speaker 4: Group, so I need some advice, fairpoint with the right people to come to.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: The other night, eight of us went bowling and had food and drinks, etc. I paid the entire bill to make it easier, and one of the girls calculated everyone's share. Then everyone transferred me their bit. The next day, I was checking my bank, as you do, and I noticed I was four dollars and twenty five percent short per person. I know it's small, but across eight people that's like thirty four dollars, which is not nothing. So I mentioned it to the group super casually, not thinking it would be a big deal. Well, now the girls are calling me the receipt police and making jokes about me double checking every cent. They've even sent memes to the group chat. I honestly didn't think that four dollars twenty five was a big deal. I was just cleaning up. But it's still my money. Right now, I'm feeling like the villain for bringing it up. Was I being too petty or was I right to ask for the full amount to be fixed up? And how do I stop the teasing without making it more awkward?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I'm so sorry that they're doing you mean, it's awful.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine in any friend group I've ever had that someone would be like one personal and everyone would be so comfortable knowing that I'm out of pocket so much.
Speaker 4: Absolutely not said I calculated it, or in this situation, somebody else calculated it for you, they miscalculated it. I think that everyone should be transferring it to you, but also that person should be like, oh, sorry, beg to put you in that position.
Speaker 5: Totally because if you're like, hey, it's sorry, actually five bucks each, but because it's you know, everyone, it's like a significant blow to my bankyard. There's I wouldn't even have to finish that sentence for anyone ever, like yeah, yeah, absolutely, like I'll transfer right now, you know, like not a big deal at all. There's I know it's it's hard to say.
Speaker 4: Thirty four dollars is so much money as well, Like don't get wrong, Like some.
Speaker 1: People will be like, oh I could cover that.
Speaker 4: That is your privilege, Like that is such a nice position to be and if you were, like, I wouldn't worry about that. I am so grateful for you. I totally get that. I'm so happy that you're in that position. But not everybody is in a position where carrying thirty five dollars of unexpected cost is reasonable for them, or even fair. Why would you want to put your friend in a financially stressful position.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think personally, last resort for any scenario is get new friends, resort catcher. I feel like maybe you need a nicer community around you because they do not seem like nice.
Speaker 1: Friends will be your friends. I'll transfer you five bucks.
Speaker 5: I'll transfer five bucks right now, send me a pay idea. I'll send you five bucks. I'll send you thirty four dollars.
Speaker 1: That's fair, But jess, what would you do.
Speaker 6: I feel like I've said something similar to this before, where it's really annoying because you do feel kind of like a jerk when you're like, oh, you're only three dollars or four dollars. Like, I get that it's kind of embarrassing to say to someone hey, or like, because you do feel petty like it shouldn't be day. Well that's exactly. Oh it was my Christmas. This happened to me one yeah, like I like paint everything, and it was yeah. Anyway, So I fully understand that pain, and I think maybe the best way to communicate it to people, like again, not that you should have to justify it, but you know, obviously understanding that you want to soften the blow and not be teased anymore, I would maybe just point that out to them, like, oh, four dollars from one person seems like nothing.
Speaker 1: It's a coffee. But when it's everybody adds to.
Speaker 4: The group chat to a certain amount in group chat, I want to be added.
Speaker 1: I've got stuff to say to them.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, Hi, I'm just here. Was this bullying about money? That's weird from you? That's a very strange thing to say publicly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, totally weird.
Speaker 6: Like I think if it was me, I would just message the group chat and say, hey, I was like, maybe lean into the joke a little bit to make it easier on yourself and be like I don't mean to be received police, but you know, with everyone owing me money amount and I you know, again, if it was me, i'd probably just be like, oh, and I had really planned on spending that money on something. So we don't have to justify yourself though you shouldn't have to, But I also understand the need if you're not great with confrontation, to soften that blow.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of that's.
Speaker 4: Why I liked before that we waited until that person had left the country.
Speaker 1: With our boss. We just girls.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So like I would probably kind of try and show the bigger picture and maybe say, oh, I had it allocated to something like that's why I'm kind of chasing it that like be like, oh, I'm so sorry, but like I had it set aside for someone's birthday present, even if that's not true. Just that's what I would do to make myself a bit more comfy. And I think not that this helps your situation right now, but probably a good lesson of everyone going forward is if people are your money, maybe you be the one that works it out so that you can make sure that it's done correctly.
Speaker 1: Yeah the first time.
Speaker 6: But like as you said back, like the very much the overwhelming thing is people should not be making you feel that way. And I'm so sorry that they are. That's horrendous.
Speaker 1: And you're not like to send them this podcast? Yeah, say this podcast.
Speaker 4: And be like skip to sixteen minutes and forty three seconds.
Speaker 6: I dare you and listen to the three of us saying we think you're objecked.
Speaker 4: So you yeah, because here first, Oh honestly I would follow them up. I feel like I'm the type of person that if you make fun of me for that, like I just I want to make you uncomfortable, Like I would be the first to be like, that's a really weird thing to say out loud.
Speaker 1: Aggressive I like it. Yeah, that's a really weird thing to say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that should have been an inside thought.
Speaker 1: Your inside thoughts are currently outside. Was that a mistake?
Speaker 4: No, but genuinely, like, oh, I didn't realize it was an issue.
Speaker 1: My bank account details are Yeah, I don't even like, like.
Speaker 4: We don't need to play into the drama like your option. Your friends are kind of being dicks and I don't know, like I thankfully don't have any friends that I would ever feel like I need to call out, Like I feel like all of my friends if I was like far out that was five dollars shorts, like the same as your friends back there immediately, Oh, let me fix that, Like totally, I'm also the same, like I don't want people to be out that I think on a deeper level, like even going bowling and having some drinks. I remember back when I was at university having to think really carefully about the social engagements that I was partaking in, Like I would have googled the bowling alley and made sure that I could afford the game that my friends wanted to do, I'd probably extrapolid it out in my head and be like, oh, what if they want to do a second one? How much would that cost? I probably already looked at the menu like to make sure that it was in my budget, because like I didn't have money, and if I did, I didn't want to feel uncomfortable in a group situation, like I feel like we've all been there at some point where we're like, oh, yep, I can afford that to then be thirty four dollars out like I couldn't have afforded that, and flipping back to who I used to be, and I'm very privileged to have, like I guess glowed up since then financially, but like flipping back to who I used to be that would have kept me up at night.
Speaker 1: That would have made me feel sick.
Speaker 4: And then for people to be mean to me about that, like why are you shaming someone about money? Like that's giving me the ick that these people think that that's okay, Like I mean flipping the narrative a little bit, who knows, like maybe this money this diarist because we always lack a lot of context here, maybe this person who has written in everybody knows that Jessica has Daddy's credit card, and Jessica actually put bowling on Daddy's credit card. So maybe they're playing a little bit of like a game because they're like, yes, you didn't even pay for that, and you're chasing up that five dollars, like, and maybe they know something we don't. I'm not justifying it, but like, I just think that any type of money shame not acceptable.
Speaker 6: No, you star money, pay them the money, regardless of if it's five hundred dollars or five dollars, doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Exactally thick about it. We obviously asked the community. We said, would you ask everyone for the four twenty five? Fifty one percent of you said yeah, it's my money. Forty nine percent of you said no, I'd leave it. And I'm pretty convinced that forty nine percent of you who said that you'd leave it, you just would leave it because it's awkward, Yeah, totally like not because you don't believe it's your money.
Speaker 1: You're just like, oh, I wish it was calculated. Probably at the start.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Unfortunately, there is there have been times where, like I'm sure there are people out there who and myself included, where you have literally three cents and you're like, I.
Speaker 1: Have thirty money ale grocery shop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally cut that out. And also, we live in Australia. It doesn't cost us anything to transfer our friends' money like that, four dollars and twenty five cents. It's going to cost you nothing except the four dollars and twenty five cents to put it in someone else's account.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just do the right thing.
Speaker 4: We also ask the community there are two types of people, those who ask for and transfer the exact amount to the cent and those that use round numbers.
Speaker 1: Who are you? I feel like that's so interesting.
Speaker 4: Which one are you? We said every cent counts. Thirty six percent of you said yes, and sixty four percent of you said, actually, I only deal in round numbers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree, but I always round up, always round.
Speaker 1: That, always round up.
Speaker 4: Like, Jesse, if the bill's thirty eight dollars fifty, what are you transferring?
Speaker 1: Wait, thirty eight, thirty nine dollars?
Speaker 5: Yeah, nine dollars yeah yeah, yeah, Like we're not lying crazy, We're not going to fifty.
Speaker 4: No, but like you get a little bit of tax you get a little bit of tax. Yeah, because you are the one that took it for the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 5: That's the other thing that's really unfair about this is not wanted to be the one to pay the full bill.
Speaker 1: You guys didn't put your hands up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I put my hands up and I paid for this and now I'm out for this.
Speaker 5: You are good deed for a good deed.
Speaker 1: One out of ten.
Speaker 5: See that good deeds, no good deed.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's a weiked reference for anybody.
Speaker 5: Seen that. But I love the singing.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: We can move on from the singing, because, like, while I love the singing, it's not good.
Speaker 1: It's not good, not ideal.
Speaker 4: But we said to the community, all right, we're gonna need your two cents, and I've got a few for you. So first person said, why should the friend have to pay another thirty five bucks on top.
Speaker 1: Of what everybody else has already paid.
Speaker 5: Completely exactly plea.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, just leave the group chat. They don't sound like very good friends.
Speaker 1: Whitney in general. All right, yeah, Paula Whitney, leave the group chat.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, I use split wise with my friends and it helps so much.
Speaker 1: I do love split wy.
Speaker 4: Yes, I adore split wise. Every time I travel with friends, we use it. But also if somebody put the wrong amount into split wise, the same problem, same problem.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 4: But also split wiz does really make things clear. Someone else said she can lean into being the receipt police back cop memes and she's on the money rhetoric.
Speaker 6: Photoshop yourself into that one of the cop with the mustache pointing being like, you.
Speaker 1: Send it to all of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is a good idea.
Speaker 1: We will make you a meme, just and it will make you a meme. And it's me.
Speaker 4: It's me looking down the barrel of the camera being like, I will find you. Yeah, Hi, sorry, I just heard that you don't pay weird. Someone else said, I never pay the bill for others, as they take ages to pay me back, and I'm the one that always pays back immediately. See, this is what happens when you're a good guy.
Speaker 5: I feel like, you know those people that take all the photos and they take forever to send it, they're the same people that take forever to send money. So I would steer clear. It's a good sign, and I think steer clear of those ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, just go places that split the bill. Yeah, split the bill.
Speaker 5: I'd love to split the bill.
Speaker 1: Someone else said, I'd actually drop it because that's who I am as a person. But I would never offer to pay the bill to make it easier for anyone. Again. Yeah, I'll take them off ont it. Someone else said, let it go. There's bigger world problems. Must be nice.
Speaker 5: Well that point of view, that might be the biggest. That might be a big problem.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Someone else said, sorry, think you need new friends. I'm a nice lady. Please still sweet, big friends.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, thirty four bucks is half a tank of petrol. If it was one or two people, Sure, five bucks is no big deal, but eight people that's a lot.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Someone else said, only dealing round numbers. I round up. I consider it the tax to the person who paid. Agreed. I agree. Good place to leave it. My friends.
Speaker 4: As always, we hope you have a beautiful weekend. If you haven't joined our Facebook community, please do that because I just love having all my friends there that want to see and pay pet tax.
Speaker 1: I just mentioned Whitney and tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I have a secret lives of the Mormon wives or deep Dive coming for you. So if you've stayed to the end of this episode. You now know what's dropping tomorrow, so we will see you or I will see you tomorrow, but the rest of the team will.
Speaker 1: See you next week. Have a good weekend, guys.
Speaker 5: Bye, guys Bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 7: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 1: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 7: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money SHERPA pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine