Speaker 1: Ossies love our winter warming favorites a good old hot chocolate, particularly when the temperatures are a bit chili Leand I know it's not always the healthiest of options, and there are plenty different varieties of the supermarket. So today we're going to go through a range of the hot chocolate sachets that are available at the supermarkets, which are pretty affordable compared to coffee shop style hot chocolates. And then you could argue even more nutritious than a regular hot chocolate with marshmallows at the local cafe. Hi, I'm Puzzi Burrows and Amile and Wood. And as two of us jay Is leading dieticians who specialize in evidence based nutrition, we bring you the Nutrition Couch Product Review, a weekly chat on new products and old favorites that you can find in the supermarket. Dan, I have never heard you have a hot chocolate when we've been together. Do you have a sneaky little hot drink after you dinner? Oh?
Speaker 2: I do, but I normally have a cup of decaf tea. I mean, I love chocolate in isolation. I love a hot drink in isolation, but I'm not a hot chocolate hot drink kind. Of girl like I would rarely help one of it was the only thing offer and I was out and about and it was freezing cold. I would, but I just find it too overly sweet. Like don't get me wrong, I'm not a purist. I like sweet things. I like sugar, but I just find hot chocolates a little bit too much for me. And I must admit the first product that we're doing as a review today, I did try. I used half a sashet only of the you know, the sashet amount, and honestly I found that too much as well. And I gave it to David and he was like, oh, what is this. So we're not We're not hot chocolate. People put it that way, but we do love our coffee and we do love our chocolate. But separately, well.
Speaker 1: I have to be honest, I've got a bit of a confession here on the Nutrition couch. I do drink these, and in particular, the one I drink is not one of the best ones. I've just realized I should have been more across it, and I'll explain why in a second. So I do like it, but I do don't. I don't use the whole sashet as well, not because I'm cheap, but I am pretty cheap anyway, but I just don't need it. I just find it so intensely sweet. And that's actually a really good lesson for people listening. But if you find you do have a bit of a what we would call addiction to sweet food, so you're on the diet soft drinks and you sort of really crave a lot of that intensely sweet product, simply weeding off over time and gradually reducing the amounts, you know, rather than having the whole count of coke, only drink three quarters, or in the case of these hot chocolate drinks, don't use the whole sashet, and you'll be surprised. You really can wean your taste buds off those very intense flavors, and particularly if they're artificials at least sweetened, which is the one that I actually have is. But we've got three good ones. There's certainly plenty and growing numbers in the supermarket. And the one that took my eye a few weeks to go and I sent it too straight away was this new range coming out from Naked Life, and they are quite savvy in their marketing because they position it as kind of calming, and there's a few different ones. I think there's one for energy and a few different kind of buzzwords that you often see on vitamin waters or energy drinks. And so we've got today the Naked Lives ninety nine percent sugar free calm drinking chocolate. Now it's a six pack at four fifty. They usually retail at seven fifty. So this was something I just had a quick look at. I think Bulli's I was at. But that's not insignificant. You know, seven dollars fifty. It's more than a dollar a sashet. Admittedly a lot cheaper than a chocolate hot chocolate you bite the cafe, which is sort of three four five dollars and at least twenty grams of sugar, let's be honest. But yeah, not insignificant in the budget spend. Certainly, if you're saving three dollars on the packet of six year, it's worth stocking up if you do like them. The ingredients that are interesting, it's really focusing on the natural aspect. The first ingredient is the natural sweetness erythrotol and stevia, so erythritol is an alcohol sugar that is undigested through the system and very sweet. And then of course stevia we know it's a plant. Coco powder is seventeen percent, got a little bit of glucose syrup, some hydrogenated coconut, weel, some stabilizers and mulsifiers, natural flavors, corn fiber extracts, but hastened to sale, and those things are very very small amounts basically to create the consistency and texture of a hot chocolate drink with very little else in it, because when we take a closer look at the calories are very low, you know, coming at the thirty four calper serve and less than one grams of sugar, So that straightaway tells us that these are additives that are in there, are in tiny, tiny amounts. But of course what they do market on is a few of these little natural additions. So there is some lemon in there. There's some magnesium sulfate salt as well, so linking the calm benefits to the addition of some magnesium, and certainly anecdotally we hear a lot of people talking about magnesium, which we'll move on to in a sec but you know, very smaller. There's seventeen gram serve. You're getting thirty four calories, just over one hundred and forty four kilodols, minimal protein, a little bit of fat, you know, it's still low fat product one point six grams thinking where that's coming from, a little bit of that coconut oil in there again for that consistency and texture. Three point four grams of total carbohydrate, less than one gram of sugar, very little sodium, a little bit of dietary fiber, which is a bit random at one point three grams. You wouldn't normally see that fiber in a hot drink, coming from the corn fiber. And then not any calcium. There's no dairy in there, but an eighteen milligram serve of magnesium, which is from what I can see, six percent of the recommended daily intake. Now, So I think when it comes to these really low coale foods, usually for clients, if it's less than one hundred kilodors per seve, I don't pay a whole lot of attention. This is slightly higher. What I like about it is it's a natural sweetener. Would I be buying it for magnesium? No, I'm not a massive fan of magnesium supplementation. I find it can cause a lot of gastric distress. And I find that if people are eating nut seeds and whole grains and even good quality Duckt chocolate, they're getting more than enough magnesium from those natural sources. So I certainly wouldn't be recommending my clients buy this for the magnesium benefit. But there's certainly nothing wrong with this product, and certainly it's a natural variety. Oh, you said it was very sweet when you tasted it, very sweeten.
Speaker 2: I used to have a sashe Yeah, because the top ingredient are a erythrotol and stevia. The natural sweetness is the top ingredient, not coco.
Speaker 1: And that you know, the cocoa would give it a more bitter flavor. So I you know, if I've got a client who likes these drinks, So for example, if you wanted to go naturally you were happy to spend the money on this, I would also suggest my clients at it and enjoy it with some milk. So hot water and milk almost in a milo like consistency, so you're still getting some dairy and calcium, and that would then dilute some of that intense sweetness, So certainly it's a product I would use. I haven't recommended it, and I certainly wouldn't be based on the fact that there's a calm effect, but as a locale sweet addition at night that certainly you could add some dairy or fortified soy or almond milk to it. It could be quite a nutritious locale addition to your day. I don't really have any massive issue with it. I think with people who perhaps are sensitive to tummy distress, you do have to be careful with supplemented magnesium. Admittedly in a whole food it's not going to have a dumping effect the way it can when people really concentrate up the powders in a concentrated supplement form. But yeah, for me, i'd give it like four out of five. I think it's really pretty good, and probably the only thing that would hold me back recommending it would be the price. It's not inexpensive for sort of something that doesn't have a lot of calories or nutrition in it, but certainly a million times better than straw bought hot chocolates and some of the ones that we're going to look at in a sec that you can also find in supermarket.
Speaker 2: And I do think it's important to note was like a I would say, like a medical claim on the side of the packet, so it basically says I only recommended maximum one per day, not suitable for children, not suitable for anybody under fifteen years of age, and not suitable for pregnant women, and should only be used under medical or dietetic supervision. So I mean, that's probably something they're protecting themselves from sort of a legal perspective, but I just think that that's something to be aware of. So we wouldn't be giving this to our kids. We wouldn't be having this if we were a pregnant person. I think, just because it is considered a supplementary food with the addition of things like magnism in there, even though it is in a really small amount. But I must have been Susia. I didn't feel any more zen or sleepy or calm after I had this. If anything, I probably felt the opposite of calm because I was like, oh, that's so sweet.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And I think it's interesting it's this kind of food groups where people are really tapping into people's sensitive issues. Like, you know, they need to sleep or relax or have more energy. So there's a little bit of health halo. I think associated with those buzzwords not harmful. I wouldn't have any real concern over it. But I don't think just having that hot chocolate rink is going to make you any more calm. It did the opposite time you would if you had a handful of nuts before you went to bed, yeah, or did some meditation exactly. You know, if you enjoy it, it's more. You know, it's not a cheap product. And so with clients, I'm always mindful of not recommending foods that are incredibly expensive. But certainly, then if people are using that at work over going out and buying at an expensive hot chocolate that's packed full of sugar, I would be very much prefer them to be having something like this then going down to the cafe and getting you know, let's be honest, at least twenty, if not thirty grams of sugar and a hot chocolate that you typically get from cafes. So certainly in that example, I would be preferring this variety. And they're worth checking out there in the supermarkets, And I would say we'll see more and more from this brand.
Speaker 2: And also with that, with a cafe option as well, you typically get the marshmallows as well, which you can actually say no to. Marshmallow is right. So when you look at the price point, it is actually a lot cheaper compared to a cafe coffee. But compared to the rest of the other hot chocolates available in sachets that you can make yourself at home, it is are It is a higher price point, not really paying for much more because I think that calming effect is more sort of a buzzword or a health halo as such, so I recommend it as well. So I think it's a pretty good option. But we've got two more to share with our listeners today, don't we.
Speaker 1: But we do, and so I have to. This is the confession time. This is the one that I buy Dodgy.
Speaker 2: This is one I recommend my clients as well until we saw that first wife, and it has been the standout in it has been the standout in the hot chocolate sachets in the supermarket. I must admit I have recommended this for many years.
Speaker 1: I like the taste of it, I always have, and I don't drink it in summer. I only have it in winter, but it is my favorite. Now it's the Jarra Classic Hot chocolates. Now there's lots of different Jarras. There's caramel and all different flavors. I only myself ever buy the plain one, just because I like it. And we're comparing that now, and it is ten pack is six dollars. Now that's got up again. I remember where it used to be four four fifty. So in recent weeks as we've seen huge amounts of inflation with all packaged foods in general. So it's so, how much is that perserve? It's just sick. This is sixty cents per serve versus how much was the other one?
Speaker 2: It was over a dollar because yeah, normally retails with seven fifty for six, so it's almost half.
Speaker 1: And if you get them on sale, as I try to, they're sort of four four fifty. And as I said, there's quite the trick in using only half because you make it go a lot longer. So nutritionally, the ingredients milk solids, glucose solids, cocoa seventeen percent, still vegetable oil which is a coconut. Again, to get the consistency that they're looking for mineral salts vegetable gum. And the reason that what I would say on the Nutrition Couch podcast is probably I wouldn't generally recommend it. It does contain an artificial sweetener, which is nine to five one, which is a sparta which has been around for many years and is in food, and generally I tell people to avoid artificial sweetness in where they can. So the question is I include it because I just think small amounts of anything at the end of the world. But it is incredibly sweet, and I would say you don't need the whole saturae. And I do mix mine with milk, so it does have a really nice with this one. It doesn't. I also finally, and the powder doesn't all mix anyway. If you use it. It's really got probably two good tablespoons, that's how it feels. It's only eleven point five grams, but it really is a lot of sort of powder, and I find it just doesn't mix in, especially if you've got any a small cup, so you really don't need it. And it's coming in it just over one ninety is that one ninety one ninety six kilosule? Yeah, one ninety six kilogels, So what's that about? Forty five calories per serve, just over a grammar protein, so a little bit coming through the milk. Solids are still a low fat product with less than one gram of SAT per hundred grams, so the carbohydrate load is six point nine grams and four point one grams of sugars, so just shy of a teaspoon of sugar if you use the whole sachet, which for me is still relatively insignificant. No, not much. A little bit of sodium actually one fifty four, which isn't insignificant I guess for a drink like this, but very little dietary fiber. So it's one of those foods to me. It doesn't have very much in it if you have half of it. It's a sweet thing if you're getting a lot of flavor, because I think lea and the reason I like it is, you know how when you're trying to give yourself a treat or something sweet, if you try and have something that's kind of healthier, it often doesn't satisfy you, so you keep looking for stuff anyway. So if you have a hot chocolate that's not overly nice and you think, oh, I've had it, but it didn't really satisfy me. I find myself, and even with clients, they'll keep looking for stuff anyway, whereas myself, I find that flavor profile and texture they've achieved with Jara is a really nice mouthfeel, So when you have it, you feel really satisfied. So it's not like you need to keep going and eating sweet food. And that's why I personally like it, and I also recommend it to my clients because they really find it satisfying. And there is quite a few flavors and so if you like caramel or whatever your mint, you know they all fit into that kind of flavor profile. So for me, the benefits outweigh the negative. So it means a client's not going to eat a block of chocolate or two chocolate biskirts. They've had an enjoyable treat that's got less than five grams of sugars and a little bit of a spataime. I'm pretty happy. But I would get I get that purists would be listening thinking, no, it's got artificial sweetener. I don't want it. And that's where it really comes down to what you're comfortable eating and recommending, and with my clients, I say to them, look, if you go to the hot chocolate section, there is a whole range of hot chocolate drinks out there that come in at less than one hundred calories. You take your pick. So if you prefer the Naked Life one, or if there's a different one you prefer, go for it. This is a good one. I like it, but everyone's different, and I've certainly have got clients who you know, we've had Avalanche on the program before. There's also Avalanche ones which have a whole range. Now that's not my personal preference, but I have a whole lot of clients who love it. So I think for me in this category, there are certainly options. And if it means that you're not binge eating on chocolate blocks and chocolate biscuits and the like, I'm pretty happy.
Speaker 2: And I think even my clients, some of them tend to make their own at home, so they just use like a tea spoin or two of Coroco powder, hot water, put a little bit of stevy in it, and some of them even add a little bit of like chocolate flavored protein powder. That's not my jam. It's not something I do, but it's something that they really really enjoy it, you know, in winter. So there are creative options that you can do at home, and that's probably a lot more affordable making yourself as well. But I agree with you here, like we're not promoting artificial sweetness, but if you look at the ingredient list, the artificial sweetness right down the bottom. So the amount of that you're getting is very minimal compared to the previous product where the sweetener was the very first ingredient. This is a very last ingredient here. And if you're doing what Susie does and you're using only half the sachet, you're actually getting just a really really small amount. Of course, we're not recommending artificial sweetness. We're not saying, yeah, have them, they're fine, but it's a very small amount in the grand scheme of things. And same with the sugar. People think, oh, chokho, it's got four grams of sugar per serving. It's a hot chocolate, Like what do people expect? So again I think that's a very small amount of sugar compared to if you would go to go into your local cafe and you got the normal hot chocolate with the marshmallows added in would be no matter what, ZUZI probably well over twenty grams of sugar easily.
Speaker 1: Oh at least I think high, because let's be honest, people don't are small. They get a medium and at least twenty, you know, four or five tea spoons. When I see a hot chocolate or a food diary almost have a coronary because it's just such a it's your entire recommended daily intake. Added sugars in a drink, so certainly not a better option. So yeah, I think it's good to talk about that a little bit because if people are to your coffee drinkers, they're often ordering a cheicy hot chocolate at the coffee chop, and let's not pretend for a second it's remotely healthy. And then what we did, Leanne, we threw in a random.
Speaker 2: It's a popular, very popular random matter?
Speaker 1: Is it popular? Oh?
Speaker 2: Sarbucks is an internationally recognized brand. It's very popular. I've had a few clients of asking what I thought, and I'm like, just take one look at the ingredient list.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we picked the Starbucks signature salted caramel, which is nice. Isn't a hot chocolate, so this is a ten pac seven sixty. So in between the first naked product and what you pay person for the jarrot about seventy six cents. So if this is basically a full strength hot chocolate, so first ingredient's chocolate powder at ninety eight percent, followed by which is sugar, so the first grade is really sugar, cocoa powder which is forty two percent, a mulsifier to mix it in some flavor, salt, cocoa solids, cocoa butter, but no sweetness. So if we look per serve, it's twenty two grams serve. It's a sachet as well, almost one hundred cow, so about eighty six cowper serve, so sort of slightly more, but I actually think not that much more for what you're getting one point eight grams of protein two point two grams of fat, so it's not a low fat product. It's coming into almost ten percent fat thanks to that proportion of cocoa butter, and relatively high and saturated fat overall, but not per serve because the serve is quite small. Thirteen point six grams of carbohydrate and twelve point five grams of sugar, so that's almost three teaspoons of sugar in that serve, So indeed, if you again halved it, and I haven't tried it, so I don't know how what the flavor's like, but if you halved it, you're getting sort of almost two teaspoons, so it's more durable. Getting two point six grams of fiber, which is a bit roundom again in a hot chocolate, I don't know where that's coming from, and low sodium. So the position I sit here earlier. It's a bit controversial, is that, because they've also listed if you have it with milk, so it's quite a substantial snack. But if you're someone who is not is pretty healthy, you don't have a lot of added sugar in your diet, so you don't have much packaged stack food, you don't add things like honey and fruit juices to your diet, and you really enjoy a good hot chocolate drink and don't want to use sweetness. You're really looking for the flavor. This is a good product. It's less still than one hundred calories. Yes, it's got proportionally quite a high amount of sugar, but in the diet of someone who's pretty healthy overall, who would prefer an unsweet natural product. I don't know. I'm not giving it, you know, I'm not writing it off completely, so I think it's got some positives there as well. Now I haven't tried it, but I assume it tastes pretty good if you had a golf one.
Speaker 2: I haven't tried it, but Starbucks is you know, I've always had good coffees and stuff from Starbucks, So I would assume that, you know, they're known for good quality products. You know, they're not knowing for sloppy sloppy products. So I would assume highly assume that it's a pretty good product, and I would say it tastes nice. So I think it's like anything in life. If you are really struggling to cut back on your sugar intake and your calories, probably the lower the sweet and varieties are better for you. But I'm thinking of a couple of my clients who are pretty healthy clients. They're very active, they do a lot of exercise.
Speaker 1: They're following largely a plant based diet, so they're not getting much saturated fat from meat and dairy in their diets. And if this was their hot chocolate of choice and for less than a hundred calories. I would absolutely give it the thumbs up for any of my insulin resistant clients with glucose regulation, I would not just simply based on the carbohydrate load of that drink, but for other active people. For kids, certainly, it would be my preference to give kids that product over the sweetened products if I'm honest. So you know, it's perhaps got a place in the pantry, and particularly if you like it it tastes good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's definitely, you know, some people who would suit. And you know, it's pretty amazing when you look at the ingredient and listening go twelve and a half grand sugar.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's a lot of sugar.
Speaker 2: But then, as you said, it's a low calorie product. It's only eighty six calories, so you're just going to be aware of that if you are having something like that. Obviously it's a hot chocolate, it's going to have some sort of sugar in there. This is slightly higher, but you're right, if the rest of the diet is pretty clean, it's pretty good. You're not snacking on muffins and biscuits and you're not having lots of chocolate after dinner. Then I don't really see a problem with it either. And you know the trolls are going to come after us as saying this, but I really think it is all about balance and you really got to take a step back and look at your diet overall, and if you are having a lot of added sugars in other places, this is absolutely not the product for you, despite being a low calorie product.
Speaker 1: True, and I think if we were comparing it to something like Milo, the difference there for me is that Milo is fortified with a number of other nutrients, particularly for kids, so you're getting things like calcium and some vitamin D in some varieties, whereas you're not getting that from the Starbucks product, but purely for a convenient product that you're just adding. And it's portion control because let's be honestly, and if people have hot chocolates that are not portion control ovaltine or milow, you're getting heaps to sugar because not doing two small tea spoons, you're doing you know, bucket loads. Like let's all be honest, we all ate milow with a spoon when we were kids growing up. Absolutely, so people don't portion control when it's in those massive serves. So the benefit of the Starbucks is that it's still sachet for kids. But if I had teenagers or my boys and they wanted a warm drink and you had it with milk, it's actually a very nutritious then snack. Yes, relatively high in sugar, but in a low sugar diet or for very high energy demands, or for active growing teenagers. It's so certainly a product that I could include in their diet, particularly you know, if they're keen to stay away from sort of sweetness, or don't even like the flavor of sweetness, which is certainly some people they prefer to have the natural taste through their mouth. So yeah, it's actually quite interesting. I wouldn't have thought I would give it that summation, but it's not. I wouldn't. I wouldn't have it myself. It's a small female. Then a lot of my clients it's too high sugar for them. But you know, there's certainly people that it could be for the low calorie extra hundred colored day, it's not going to be the end of the world.
Speaker 2: And speaking of kids, I would for the majority of kids, depending on the age, if they're teenager, is fine but if they're children, you know, we're talking under twelve, I would definitely be splitting that sashe up and only giving them half a sachet, with some milkie getting the added coucium, getting a little bit of protein in that it's a little bit more filling. But I really don't think children would need an entire sashet, so that probably, you know, helps settle the debate as well. That way, we're only down to about six grams of added sugar per serving, which I think is a lot more acceptable for sort of children.
Speaker 1: And let's be honestly, and a lot more cost effective at this time when every I don't know where they're talking about six percent inflation. As I've said before, every item might see all the store is like up a dollar. Yeah that's not six percent. But that's a topic for another another episode. Well, that does bring us to the end of the Nutrition Couch product review. For the latest on Sashet hot chocolates, you haven't done so, please subscribe and share with your friends. We love to see images of you listening to us, and we particularly love it when you follow us and comment on social media. Don't forget our live a tickets events are coming very soon. We're starting in Brisbane in just over a week's time and then we're going to Sydney and Melbourne throughout September and we can't wait to meet you there. So if you haven't got your tickets already, get online at the nutritioncouch dot com and grab those and as always, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Catch you guys next week.