Speaker 1: As the weather warms up. Are you an ice cream person? Do you like something sweet, cold and delicious after dinner or don't worry today we have you covered as we chat all things ice cream on the Nutrition Couch Hight, I'm me and I'm Secie Burrow, and as two of the Joys leading dietitians, we bring you the Nutrition Counch Product Review, a weekly chat on new products and old favorites that you can find in the supermarkets. So, Susie, it's getting a little bit warmer in Australia. Are you and ice cream lover? Is it something that you, I know, your routine these day that you like some sweethearted dinner? Is it ice cream? Is it normally just chocolate?
Speaker 2: It's an assumption earlier. I actually am not the biggest fan of ice cream. I don't not like it, but it's not something I routinely buy and serve, you know. Growing up, Coming to think of it, we always had ice cream. We always had Neapolitan and a group in a household where you know, people would eat all of the chocolate and all the strawberry and leave the vanilla in the middle. So we certainly had at home, and I remember having it quite often with Milo through it. My little boys really like it, but I don't buy it as part of the regular shop. It's more likely something a special occasion, and if I do buy it, I am quite fussy to try and get what I would describe is really good quality ice cream. But even though it's not my sort of go to food, I'm much more sort of in cakes and like you said, chocolate, My clients really like it, and I've got a lot of clients who will lop for a portion control ice cream. And let's be honest, there's a huge number of what we would call the healthier varieties or varieties that are being marketed for the health related benefits, whether they're no added sugar or lower calorie. So I think it's a really pertinent topic that I think a lot of listeners will find interesting.
Speaker 3: What about you guys. Just me and I had ice cream yet.
Speaker 1: No, she hasn't. No, No, I've been quite good, she said, yeah, like plain natural yoga. We haven't done ice cream yet. I'm just waiting for the time a family member will give it to her and I'll be like, oh, there we go.
Speaker 2: I think with little kids you can so easily freeze yoga and make like yogat pops, and it's kind of the same thing with them too, So yeah, I don't disagree. I think that with the little kids you can certainly get away with frozen yogurt before you need to give them full blown sugar ice cream. But you know, there's certainly many varieties out there, so it's good.
Speaker 3: I think we're taking a look at it this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. And I'm always, you know, a big fan of what I call my approach to the soul foods. You know, choose the one thing that you love the most, that gives you the most maximal satisfaction. So honestly, I'm an ice cream girl, but I wouldn't say I have it regularly. If I go out and you know, there's a beautiful Italian place, or if it's summer or at the beach we're on holidays, of course I've got an ice cream. But it's always that good qualite gelato. I'm not just going to get the plain vanilla or like a I'm not really even a Sauway person. I like it, I don't mind it, but I don't love it. You know. I'm a bet and Jerry's.
Speaker 3: Girl, I'm going to do it to it properly.
Speaker 1: So that's sort of where I lie. I love sometimes a little mini Magnum on the weekend or something like that, so I do have it, but I don't we don't really buy tubs of ice cream or anything like that. I'm more like a I like the sticks, I think because portion controlled, and I just find that if I bought a tub of ice cream, I think it would disappear very quickly in the household. So we don't tend to do too many tubs. We do the little sticks instead. It is a bit of a special treat sometimes, so we have gone with the tubs today. I think it's sort of an interesting discussion, and I've sort of tried to keep it just sort of the plane vanilla flavor, because you're right, there's so many varieties, and you've got the quote unquote healthier versions like the Halo tops, and you've got the protein based ice creams as well. Then you've got all of the delicious, wonderful flavors. So I thought, let's just start with the good old vanilla. And I'm not really a vanilla ice cream person, but I must admit, if you gave me some homemade apple pie. I would absolutely have a scoop of vanilla ice cream with that. So we've sort of gone for the ones today that I would call the quote unquote healthier alternatives. So let's have a look at the first one, which is the Peters no added sugar vanilla low fat ice cream. So this is available at Colson wll West one point to Lito Tub for eight dollars, so it's not inexpense, so like eight dollars is quite expensive. That's the full price. I'm sure it does come on sale, and a serving size of this is fifty grams, so there's twelve servings per package. But I would take a guess city that a lot of people are serving far more than fifty grams in their serving of ice cream. So looking at the ingredient list, we start off with skim milk, which would make sense because it's a low fat ice cream, followed by water and salbaitole so with sugar alcohol in there, polydextrose followed by cream, so cream is quite far down the ingredient list, so it is a lower fat product. Vegetable origin emulsifiers, vegetable gum, mineral salt, flavors, colors, and sweetener. Steviel is down the bottom there as well, so it contains milk and soy, and then may contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts, and gluten. And the milk fat in their product is two point three percent, so I wouldn't say it was a clean ingredient list. Put it that way. There's a lot of things in there, but from I guess a macro perspective, or nutrient list perspective, or calorie perspective, I'm sure that this would suit a lot of people. So I think today, let's just look at the serving sizes. We should probably just go with per hundred grams, I think comparing because it'll just be easy to compare the three So per hundred grams, we've got five hundred killer jewels or one hundred and twenty calories. We've got four point seven grams of protein, two point eight grams of fats, indeed, a lower fat product, with two of that being saturated fat, mostly coming from the CREAMA assume we've got eight point one grams of carbohydrate seven point six grams of sugar, So a high sugar product with that would make sense being ice cream, you know, it's not like we're looking at something like broccoli. We are looking at ice cream, guys. So a little bit of sugar in there is normal, and fifty milligrams of sodium in there as well, so an interesting product. I mean, one hundred serves one hundred and twenty calories. It's quite low calories. It's very definitely low fat. I think that it fits the bill from a I guess quote unquote health or a lower calorie perspective. If you're an ice cream lover who was trying to lose weight. This looks good in theory, but I'm not loving the union lists.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Susie, I think it's really interesting because it screams on the label no added sugar, and then when you look at the sugars, they're not overly low, because of course dairy does have naturally occurring sugar which is lactose in it. So I just know as a reference point that some of the frozen yogurts on that you can find that have a far less processed ingredient list have similar amounts of sugars in it. So I would sort of be a bit on your team really to say it's actually still not a low sugar product, and there's a lot of kind of sweetness going through there. There's a lot of people who will be quite sensitive to sorbital polydextros is also another sugar as we've spoken about, plus a sweetener. These kind of products are very very sweet, and my concern with that is that I think it primes you to want more and more of them. So there's a perception here. It's a bit of a health halo in a way because it's masquerading as something that's got less sugar, low calorie. Yet I don't think it's necessarily going to be as satisfying as a real full fat ice cream, which has got a much richer mouth taste and feel. It's quite sweet, so it hits that spot where you potentially want more of it, and it's not low in sugar leanne like. Keep in mind the recommended in take of sugars or added sugars as twenty five grams. Now, admittedly these are more naturally occurring sugars, but it's not overly low. You know, I can find many desserts that have less than sort of seven eight grams of sugar in them, let alone. If people stick to the portion control, because I agree with you, one hundred grams of ice cream is not very much. It's two tiny scoops, So you know, I think for the price in current times where the cost of food is so expensive, this wouldn't be a product that I would point people in the direction of in the sense that I don't want them to eat more ice cream, and I certainly don't want them to pay eight dollars for thinking it's healthier when I can probably give them a frozen yogurt that's portion control, or even an ice cream on a stick that's portion control, even if it's not a technically ice cream with a lower milk fat level. So I think for me, it's a bit of a health halo this one.
Speaker 1: Definitely, And just the how big the faut is then no added sugar automatically just makes you think that that's healthier. And having said that, I mean you said one hundred grams. The serving size is fifty grams, Like you know, most people would be hard pressed to stick to the one hundred grams serving size, let alone the fifty grams that actually recommended, So I don't know, I show me any Aussie that will get twelve servings out of that pack when you're paying eight dollars for the tile, but you know it has up put it that way. So yeah, I'm like you. I think that it has a place for maybe for some people, but it is quite expensive and the ingredient list leaves a little bit to be desired, And yeah, I agree, I don't think it's going to have that beautiful, rich, creamy mouth full like a good quality full fat ice cream wood or for me, I'm a real texted person, which is why I love something like Ben and Jerry's or a mini magnetm with almonds in it, because it has a little bit of the texture to it. I find if I'm just eating a pure vanilla ice cream, I'm far more likely to overeat it because honestly, it's just like yogurt, but sweeter.
Speaker 2: True, and you know, the protein's not insignificant. You know, on one hundred gram served double the recommended size, you're getting close to five. So that's going to be lower than some of the ones we're looking at in a second. But yeah, I just couldn't see a place for it really, As I said, and I'm like you, I just don't think people will stick to those portions, so they're a bit irrelevant really.
Speaker 1: All right, So our second product today, SUSI, we've chosen these Streets Blue Rubon light vanilla ice cream tub and I again went with the light one because I think there's a perception I'm not saying that it's not, but there's a perception that it's a healthier product, or a lower fat or a lower calorie product. So this one is advertised, as you know, Street Seal Blue Ribbon is a very i would say sort of quite famous and popular Australian ice cream brand, and it says in the label made with real bottomilk, no artificial colors, and it's ninety seven percent fat free. So again that's a health halo I've I've ever seen one before. And let's actually look to zee if it does actually stack up. So we're going to compare via the one hundred gram column again, so that we're comparing luck to like a serving size for this one is forty five and the pack is two liters, so slightly bigger at five dollars seventy five, so a lot more cost effective than the previous Peters one war you're getting a lot more for a lot less priced dollar wise, so one hundred grams, we've got six hundred and eighty five kilo duels or one hundred and sixty four calories. We've got three point two grams of protein, two point seven grams of fat, with one point nine grams of that being saturated, so very low fat, and fifty five milligrams of sodium there. So if we look at the ingredient list, we've got dairy ingredients, which is made up of reconstituted buttermilk and all reconstituted s given milk, milk solids, and cream, followed by glucose syrup which is a sugar, followed by sugar a mulsifies, stabilizes, gelatin, flavor color one sixty B and that's it. That it says contains two percent milk fat and a minimum of sixty percent less fat than the Blue Ribbon vanilla. So Blue Ribben do a standard vanilla ice cream. Then they do this light variety which we chose into a review today as well. So again I think an interesting product, Suzie. They've made it a lot lower caloriing a lot less significantly less fat, like two point seven grams per one hundred grams is very low fat, isn't.
Speaker 3: It It is?
Speaker 2: This goes back to the original kind of light ice creams. And the thing I will say about this product is they taste pretty good. These light this light range that we really do. And I think that's important because you're if you and I are recommending a dessert product for our clients, it doesn't matter how good the ingredient list is, or how clean or how great the nutritional profile is if it doesn't taste good and if it doesn't taste like a dessert should taste. And I think the benefit of this one it's really cost effective for families at the moment. You know, that's a much more reasonable price point for two leads compared to what we were looking at with the Peters no added sugar. And sure, you know it's coming in at one hundred and fifty just over one hundred and fifty calories for one hundred grams, But the fat is really low and it tastes good, and I think you could certainly get away with a lot less or fewer calories by enjoying a little bit of this ice cream. Of course, it's got sugar in it. It's ice cream, So I sort of sit middle ground like, if I was reading it, I'd probably give it like a seven out of ten because I think it's pretty good for what it is and for the price point. For ice cream, it's never going to be low sugar, but this one is quite low in fat and tastes good for that product, and it's really simple, reallyly, and like you know, this ingredient list is pretty It's got some added sugar and two sauces, but multifier stabilizers. It's pretty innocent, really. They all put a little bit of that color in, and that color is that natural caramel color.
Speaker 3: It's to give it that.
Speaker 2: Kind of yellowy buttermilk look obviously, just looks nice in the tub when you spin it and just give it the richness. So the ingredient list for me is pretty clean. It doesn't have a lot of rubbish it for the sake of it, so I don't mind it. I would certainly buy it for my family and not be overly worried about it if I'm honest, Like, I think this actually comes in a number of different flavors, and seeing it here today, if I saw that, I'd be like, yeah, I'd be happy for the boys to have that as a lighter dessert option.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I think the ingredient list is better, the price point is better, and I'm like you, I must be honest, I haven't tried the peedas one, but I have tried the Streets. We definitely had this one growing up, and my mum would always buy the light variety of it. And I agree. It does have a really nice mouse feeling and it does feel like you're eating, you know, proper ice cream with the benefits that it is, you know, slightly lower and fat. So if you are someone that regularly really enjoys ice cream and you did have high cholesterol or problems with heart disease, or for whatever reason you needed to keep your fat intake quite low, maybe high fat gives you digestive problems, this would be a good product. But you know, we're not sitting here being like everybody go by it. It's amazing. It is ice cream at the end of the day, so we're well aware of that. We're not recommending it put it that way, but we are saying that it is, you know, a version of ice cream that we would recommend for our clients if they were to go out and buy ice cream. If you didn't like ice cream, I would certainly not be saying go out and buy it and enjoy it. But it is something that I would be comfortable saying to my clients that, yes, the nutrition profile, the ingredient list is pretty good when you compare it to similar ice creams, and it is quite enjoyable. It will give you that nice satisfaction afterwards compared to other types of ice creams as well.
Speaker 3: True true.
Speaker 1: And then the final product we always like to throw on a good old home brand from our favorites. So today we've got the Coal's Home Breadth, the Coals Plain Vanilla ice Cream, just the standard. Now, this is a fourleater tub, so it's significantly larger for seven dollars, so when you're looking at the price per hundred mills, it's eighteen cents per hundred meals, compared to the Streets one is twenty nine cents per hundred meals. And the Piers one is our biggest one, which I can't actually tell you because it isn't on my list.
Speaker 2: It's a lot significantly high. Our scientific analysis tells us it's a lot more.
Speaker 4: Right, So back to the Coals Vanilla ice Cream today, retails for seven dollars coals. Clearly looking at the ingredient list, so we've got frozen dessert which is made up of water liquid, sugar cream fourteen percent, and milk solids, followed by maltodextrin, which is a type of sugar, a mulsifier. Susi's favorite palm oil just stroking it's not a favorite. Some thickness, some natural flavoring, and some natural color which is keroteine with some palm oil in it. Some more palm oil for good measure, and then looking at our nutrition facts again, we will compare via the one hundred gram column today, so serving size is forty seven grams, which seems like a very random serving size to me, but it is what it is. We have seven hundred and fifty killer jewels, which is roughly one hundred and eighty calories, so the most I would say energy dense in terms of the calories compared to the three that we looked at, but only slightly higher. We've got two point one grams of protein, six point four grams of fat, was four point four of that being saturated fat, so probably the highest bat product of the three that we've compared today. Twenty eight grams of carbohydrate, with twenty one grams of that being sugar, so definitely the most the highest sugar that we've looked at today, and fifty four milligrams of sodium, which is fine. Neither here nor there looking in ice cream.
Speaker 2: Really, you know what, I've realized, there's no carbo hydrate or sugar on the streets live. We haven't looked at the sugar on it because it's not there.
Speaker 1: That's what I actually don't like about coals is that the information lists on the website are pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Let me just have a lot, because then we can compare. Because I was thinking that Coal's one looks so high in sugar, which will come to but I'm just going to check the blue ribbon. We're going to come back to that because it's not on the label.
Speaker 1: It is definitely higher in fat and definitely higher carbo hydroates and sugar, but it is you know, it's not being marketed as a lower fat product or a lower sugar product. This is just good old standard, you know. Vanila Scream put it that way.
Speaker 2: And it's a good reminder because when you read through the nutritionals, we'll see but it's not insignificant enough. Fine, I'm going to track down these blue ribbon numbers while you're talking so we can share those with the listeners as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think there's anything particularly great about this product. Don't think there's anything particularly terrible about it. I mean, it's ice cream at the end of the day. I'm not going to vilify it because it has sugar, because it has fat in it, because it should. It's ice cream. That's what ice cream is made from. There is you know, a few different types of sugars coming into play here as well, So I just think, you know, from a budgeting perspective, it's obviously our most affordable one. I actually haven't tried this, so I can't common in terms of the mouth feel, but I wouldn't I wouldn't say it was good. I wouldn't say it was bad. It's probably it's maybe mid range for me, maybe a five out of ten when it comes to other other ice creams.
Speaker 2: So as a reference, because I think that our Blue Riven Light has popped up and seem overly good because we didn't have the sugars. But I've just had a look. They're very similar to this product. So per hundred grams, they're coming in at twenty point five, which is almost identical amount of sugar to the one in the full coal with vanilla, So we're sort of given a bit of a bump stickuse. We haven't mentioned it, so we sort of said it looked okay, but tracking those down so that's a very similar amount, And so say it's like twenty calories less because of the difference in fat, So you're basically getting double amount of fat in the colds vanilla ice cream, but a very similar amount of sugar land because generally, as we know, we take a bit of fat out, they throw a bit of sugar back in, So that's sort of a pretty standard Amountain. I'm sort of here in all there as well with it, you know, I'm not like, oh, this is a stand the blue ribbon, like it's just simply lower in fat and a little bit lower in calories. But they're actually not that dissimilar. So you would argue for families, this one is much more affordable.
Speaker 1: As long as it had a nice mouthfit.
Speaker 2: And I think the take home message is, you know, you've got to consume these things in moderation. They're high sugar products, even if they're lower in fat, and in a single serve you're getting twenty grams of sugars, which is almost your entire recommended daily intake of added Admittedly some is naturally occurring from the milk, but you know, this is a treat food. This isn't something you would want to be including every day. And even the low fat one is lower and fat, but it's still got that same amount of sugar going, you know.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Yeah, let's be honest, so pretty similar as long as the mouth field would be the same. I mean, I think would be going for the coals On purely from a budgeting perspective, wouldn't we and the Calls one, and.
Speaker 3: We would argue the mouth feels probably better.
Speaker 1: Too, looking at if you're looking for a sort of Aussie made it's eighty six percent Australian ingredients in the Coals one. It just has made in Australia for the Streets one, which is very helpful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's just a good reminder with and because what you alluded to in the beginning of the chat was both of us don't generally buy types of ice cream, and there's a reason and that isn't there because what we know is that if it's there in the freezer at home, you'll eat it. So you might have bought ice cream for a once a week treat. Particular, if you've got the big four liter tub of coals and all of a sudden everyone's demolished it in a week or two, you've eaten huge amounts because it's there. So I'm sort of a fan of sort of discretionary foods like this, not keeping huge amounts in the house because the kids will inevitably eat it. And it's a reminder that a serve for a small child is a very small scoop. It's not loading up a bowl, you know, or add some fresh fruit to it and make it more of a complete dessert meal rather than just something that we pile on and have in large amounts. So you know, if you buy large portions of that, you will eat it. And the issue at the moment I'm noticing Leand is that the supermarkets are having a lot of sort of sales or discounting larger, larger amounts of food. So first of all, they're discounting discretionary foods enormously. It's always the fifty percent off range that you're seeing corn chips and blocks of chocolate and chocolate biscuits. You know you're not seeing a chicken breast. Oh, there's fifty percent off this week. So it's steering us towards eating more of those foods because we perceive that we're getting a bargain, and in the case of something like ice cream, particularly buying larger tubs of it because it's more cost effective. Basically it suggests.
Speaker 3: We're going to eat more.
Speaker 2: You know, if you buy your family two lead tubu leaded in a week, if you buy your family or four leader tubbu leaded in a week, because that is just the way food programming behavior goes. So just be really mindful if you are a fan of having ice cream at home, really to be really diligent with the serving sizes or know that say two leaders or four leaders needs to last your certain amount of time, otherwise you'll just end up eating more of it. And these are discretionary foods that should be consumed in moderation. It's certainly not something to.
Speaker 3: Have every day.
Speaker 2: It's like a once or twice a week thing, ideally in the portion suggested. So just be mindful that you know, even in a lower fat ice cream, you're getting twenty grams of sugar bang. And that's assuming that you're sticking to that portion control, which I think most people do not.
Speaker 1: That's so funny because that reminds me growing up obviously. You know, mom and dad were very good in over the budgeting and saving money, and we were like you. We used to have the you know, the rainbow color of the vanilla, of the chocolate, the strawberry. I think every Aussie kid, most of them, you know, did and it was always the big four leaded tub because it was cheaper and it always used to makes me laugh thinking about it now. Mum would like portion it out and they'd be like, maybe a scoop left in the big tubb or something. And my dad would be like, oh, don't put one scoop left in that huge tub and put it back in the freeze it. Don't be ridiculous, just eat it out, use it now or done. So you're right, if we buy the big tub, we're more than likely to eat the whole thing, because yeah, well, would you have a full leaded tub and put a small scoop back in it and take up all of that space in your freezer. Like what Dad says, don't be ridiculous, just eat it now.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so just be aware of that and really if you can keep it.
Speaker 2: I like with ice cream and families to have it on set days, so like every Friday or Tuesday and Friday, so everyone knows the rules. That's when we have ice cream, rather than it being a nightly Can we have dessert? Can we have ice cream? Because the again research would show you're more likely to say yes than you are no. Whereas if everyone knows you have dessert once a week or this March whenever, it's just an easier rule to stick to. And you know, talking to parents, if you've got time and you can make frozen yogurt or get those little ice cream sticks and get yogurt in there and add a little bit of maybe some chop bits or some fresh fruit and make your own. There are a million times healthier, They've got far less sugar and much healthier habits long term, and incorporating ice cream is a daily treat, particularly for small children.
Speaker 3: For thought, nice pix Lah nice picks all right.
Speaker 1: Well, that brings us to the end of the Nutrition cat product review. For another week. We would love if you guys could subscribe to the podcast that way, it really does help boost us in the chart, and you can also feel free to leave us a positive review in the Apple Purple podcast at We would be very very grateful for you for doing that. Now we will catch you guys on Sunday for our big episode Trump and we really appreciate all the love and support, and don't forget that. The recording from our live events is also now available on our website, which is the nutritioncouch dot Com. Under the events page, you can listen to that recording from the live events. If you weren't able to attend, or if you're somewhere else in the world, even outside of Australia, you can listen and purchase that as well.
Speaker 3: Have a great week.