Speaker 1: Do you exercise regularly and routinely hit your daily ten thousand step target, yet despite your best efforts, the scales simply will not budge. On today's midweek motivational episode of The Nutrition Couch podcast, Leanne shares a case study which shows that our exercise effectiveness is not always about ticking the box on the numbers each day, rather than moving in the right way. Hi, I'm Susie Burrow and Olean Wood, and each week we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the bi weekly podcast keeping you up to date on everything you need to know in the world of nutrition, as well as our exercise targets. Today we test road tests a budget friendly variety of dumplings that Leanne and I are both big fans of, and our weekly recipe is a perfect hot breakfast option to keep you satisfied and full now that winter has well and truly arrived. So Leanne, we love to share our hands on case studies because I think that they're so telling about what is happening in clinic with clients that we're seeing, and of course as part of a weight loss program, and both you and I specialize in weight loss and we primarily see women for weight loss. You know over the course of say the twelve weeks the twenty four weeks, that we may see people. Different variables come up all the time. And so one that we hadn't discussed for a while, and you said, I've got a perfect case study was about incidental exercise. And that certainly resonated with me because I certainly have many female clients whore going to the gym but also getting way above ten thousand steps per day and yet maybe struggling still to see that elusive change on the scales. So you were telling me about a very interesting client of yours who it demonstrated some insight into the importance of incidental movement. Is that? Is that right?
Speaker 2: But firstly, can I say, when you say rotests and dumplings, did you bring yourself?
Speaker 1: I find that I have to go to four audis to get the dumplings. Everyone's onto them already, I think. But I wanted to talk about dumplings and we'll come back to it because there's a really big difference in the nutritional profile of dumplings, and there's a couple of things I want people to be really aware of when checking them out. So I had to because you can't find any audi nutritionals online, which is incredibly frustrating.
Speaker 2: It's so annoying.
Speaker 1: I had to keep going back to Outis until I found this bag. I've got today to read the numbers off. But yeah, they sell out like hotcakes. So I think a lot of people love my dumpling review. So that's coming up. People, you'll have.
Speaker 2: To bring me some. I don't think we should do a proper road test without a proper taste test next time.
Speaker 1: FYI, she's pregnant people, thirty how many weeks?
Speaker 2: Again? Forty feels like forty thirty three or something too pregnant too. She's a kid, she's thinking dumplings in this stretchy pants stage, not leaving or right incidental exercise. So I have a client, Susie, and she smashed it. So I offer a twelve week program. I think she's in about week ten with me, and she has lost about six kilos so far, and she's got another two to go to our goal. And I was like, all right, let's ramp it up for the last couple of two weeks. So we've hit a plata in the last two weeks. She's done really, really well. She got a lot of weight off quite quickly, and then we sort of plateaued for a week or two, and I said, we've got three options here. We have the pullback on nutrition, we increase exercise, or we bring you out of the deficit altogether. We aim to maintain. And we reversed at you and she was like, no, no, I've still got two killers to my goal. I want to keep going now. Moving back on nutrition wasn't really an option, Like, we were pretty lean with her nutrition. She was allowed a couple of wines a week, She made ninety percent of her meals from scratch. She was really passing it if she had work lunches. She was choosing lean options. She wasn't going towards a bread basket like she was pretty lean. We didn't have a lot of wiggle room nutrition wise due to her intensive I guess work schedule. We didn't really have a lot of room exercise wise either. She was sort of doing the mac she could do. So I was sort of like, oh, how am I going to pull back further in this deficit? Because when a client hits a true plateau, like you and I both know, Susie, we have a couple of options. We pull back on nutrition, we increase exercise, or we just go right, this deficit is no longer working. We get you out and we build some more calories back in. But I had a one molet thing up my sleeve, which I thought, you know what, we haven't really tried to increase incidental activity. And if you look at a lot of the research around that loss, it's called this neat this non exercise activity thermogenesis. So it's really this type of activity or I guess, non formal exercise that we wouldn't class as actual exercise. So it's just general day to day movement where your body's burning these calories, but it's not what we would consider exercise. So I said to her, I know she does big work calls, big conference call. She's often you know, on the phone for long periods of time. I said to her, could you get a headset at work? And she was like, yes, but why? And I said, we'll get a headset or put some you know, Apple epods in or something like that, and I want you to pace at your desk. Her, I want you to walk up and down the corridor. So when you're in these big long international conference calls or when you're sitting around and you're waiting for clients to come off hold or whatever it might be. I want you pacing, and I want you sitting at your butt at the desk for like ten twelve hours a day. She worked really long hours, and she got her exercise class in, but it was kind of like, you know, forty minutes in the gym, and then it was like sitting down for about ten hours a day. So the first thing we did was get to get a headset and actually get some steps out while she was sitting around waiting these calls to connect or people were you know, typing away their computer doing something on their end, and she wasn't doing too much. The second thing she often would go to a lot of conferences and trainings, whether she was presenting, but a lot of the time that she was just listening in or like facilitating. And I said to her, at those conferences, there's normally morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea. And I said, the last thing you want to do at a conference, particularly when the goldlest fat loss, is overeat when you're barely moving. So she took those opportunities at the conference to go for a little minie wook at morning tea and afternoon tea. The dual benefit was that reduced the temptation to eat the brownies and the you know, the pastries and all that sort of thing that was around at that time. She got some fresh air, she got a little bit of vitamin D when she stepped outside, and she got a little bit of steps up as well. We also got her when she went to do the weekly grocery shopping. She only went to the shops once or twice a week. We got at a park on the opposite side to where like the entrance was to the grocery store to the supermarket, so she'd just get a couple of extra steps going in through the you know, going across the car park. And then I also got to take the steps or use you know, the trolley ramp versus using the travelators or using the lifts at the shops as well. And then the final thing we did to build up her incidental exercise was just ten minutes of walking before breaky. She started really early. Sometimes she did her gym class, sometimes she had a day off. She had did that a couple of times a week, and I said to her, do you have the opportunity to go for a walk in the morning. She's like, absolutely not. And I said, what if we focus on for the next week or two, just a really quick, simple breakfast that you either prepped the night before or took her five minutes in the morning, versus the normal porridge that she'd make up, and that would kind of be a ten to fifteen minute routine.
Speaker 1: Whatever it was.
Speaker 2: I said, why don't we make some overnight ootes, We do some bakedotes so it's ready to go. And I said, that'll free up five or ten minutes in the morning. And I got her to just go to the end of the street and come back. It was like an extra ten minutes before breakfast every morning. It doesn't sound like a lot, but all of these little things add up to big results, and boom, the next week we jumped on the scale whole another killer down in a week. So it wasn't that it was just what we'd done that week. Like I always said a client, so fat loss is happening in the background. When you see those plateaus on the scale, you don't quit. That's when you go, Okay, if I'm not quite at my goal, I need to change things up. And for her, we couldn't really pull back on nutrition. I couldn't get her to do any more gym classes or any more formal activity. We only had the hours in the day that we had. We couldn't add more hours into her day, even though you know how nice would that be. So we just had to work with what we had. So we just got her moving that little bit more and it paid off tenfold. And it also doesn't increase your hunger too much. Like if I had got her to do an extra three gym classes for the week, it would ramp up her hunger. But just finding these little ways to move her body a little bit more in normal parts of her day paid off a lot. So if you're going through a bit of a plateau you're finding fat loss hard at the moment, focus on that incidental activity. Honestly, it really does pay off.
Speaker 1: I could not agree more. I have had this conversation with I think three of my clients who are offer space workers to who are what I would describe as not natural movers, So they're really struggled to get exercise in and in particular around utilizing line breaks because so and I don't know if this is a female thing. I don't know if this is an office culture thing, but so many people just don't take any lunch break at all. They work through it, they sit down. So I'll say, you know, you get an hour even if you take twenty to thirty minutes, walk to the shop, get something to eat, have something to eat at your desk, and then use it. This is your time. Or it's similar to you encouraging clients who are not natural movers to at least get on the phone and walk around, or if they've got space, hire a treadmill and just hop on it, because it has to try and be fitting into the day, Whereas I find busy people the idea of getting to the gym is great, but it's probably taking at least an hour, if not two, out of your day. By the time you get there, get changed, whereas it's just looking for ways to put it through the day. Because we know from research that it doesn't matter if you exercise for an hour at high intensity if you then sit for the remaining you know, twelve fourteen hours, you won't be improving your bluecose metabolism, you won't be increasing metabolic rate, you won't be getting the glucose benefits come from moving your muscles regularly, so that incidental is just as important as high intensity, if not more so. So. I have, you know, loads of people who are overtraining and moving too much and exercising and not eating enough, and then I've got another group who are doing ticking the box and the bare minimum, but then sitting for the remainder of the day. So for people who don't love exercise and really find it a struggle, I think that's a great strategy of just looking for ways to pepper through it. So every hour or two, making sure you get up for at least five or ten minutes if you've got stairs at home or in the office, just doing a few flights, parking the car further away, you know, walking up escalator stairs, and certainly using your lunch break, even if it's just for ten minutes, and rather than thinking about it it is arduous, getting changed, doing a walk, getting sweaty, just moving around and picking up some bread or milk or having a reason to get up makes a massive difference. But it has to be a priority, and as I would encourage people to do, you have to schedule it. It won't just drop it in particularly if you don't like doing it, so sure, and I'll encourage clients and say, look, even if you can do it three days of the week, that's going to really add up. So that's a really powerful way of doing it. And I can think off the top of my head, Leanne, of three of my clients who would benefit from that and taking that and using it to improve their incidental straightaway. So I think, very handy, practical tip for increasing movement. But onto the most coveted segment of the session, dumplings.
Speaker 2: The real reason we're here.
Speaker 1: Let's be honest. Now, I am a reasonably recent dumpling convert. I don't know why. It just took me a while to get on board, but my husband would always want to go and have dumplings, and I would always be like, oh to Carby, you know, not into it. But probably in the last three to four years I've really come on board. But what really stands out to me, Leanne, is the ranging quality. So in supermarket dumplings in particular, I've noticed some of the well known chef's labeled brands not only do they have added MSG, which you know is one of my pet hates in food flavor and Hanser six two one or similar is another flavor and Hanser six I don't like it. I think it makes you have restless sleep itchy skin, and I think it's not good for us to be programmed to have flavor enhancers in food, and I reckon at least half the mainstream dumpling brands and supermarkets still have flavor enhancers, So that's a hard no from me straight away. Second, you have to look at the quality of the dumpling, and you can infer quality from the additives or the length of the ingredient list, but very specifically from the proportion of meat in them if you're choosing out, say pork or prawn dumpling. So what I wanted to talk about today was the Audi brand, because we do get quite a lot of questions about Audi products, and indeed, I am a big fan of Audi. I regularly go and have a few staple items I pick when it comes to food products that are the same no matter what brand they are, so sliced cheese, long life milk. I will always if I can get the Audi variety because it's much more cost effective and I don't like to pay more for food than you should have to. But the Audi dumplings Leanne are known to be pretty good, and as I said, it took me several attempts to actually get in the store and pick them up, so I wanted to profile them. Now there's a few different types, but I'm talking about the main brand they stock, which is the Urban Eats brand, And I've got the Japanese style pork Guyosa, and I've just lit up my phone because my eyes are so bad I can barely read the labels at the best of time, so I'll just run through the ingredient list. So this is a pack actually I should say that is very large, seven hundred grams, so that is the equivalent I would say of it a feeding a family. That is a decent proportion of dumplings. So ten dollars very reasonable. So the first ingredient here is wheat flour, which is what they'll refer to as the dumpling pastry. But this one I love because it's twenty seven percent pork, so almost thirty percent of that dumpling is meat, which is really good. The high levels, you know, some of them. You'll see her as long as ten in supermarket. They're still they're not what I would call low. They're not low fat. They've got six point nine grams of fat per hundred, so the pork isn't the leanest it could be. It could be better quality, but it's still pretty good. It's less than ten. And what I also like is the added sugars are pretty low, So per hundred grams, the added sugars are only two point five, which is pretty low for a product like a dumpling, which will often have a number of flavors and additives. The list is pretty clean. You know, wheat, flour, pork, cabbage, spring, onion, some soy sauce which will naturally have some admistry in it, thickner, bit of sugar, salt, and because it's only two point five percent sugar, these additives are very small amounts. So there's a bit of vegetable oil in there to mix it and blend it. But overall it's a really clean list. And the sodium per hundred is only three hundred and sixty six milligrams, which is also incredibly low for an Asian food base. And per hundred grams, which is four coosas is almost ten grams of protein, which is high. You know, if you had eight coosas and some edimrmaie beans and some bockchoi, that is a good, healthy, balanced meal, And in this case it's also one that is very budget for for family. So the carbohydrate is twenty two point seven, which is almost two slices of bread for four. So it's not a low carb meal, but it's a relatively low calorie meal overall, particularly if you have four or six as opposed to eight, because it's getting up to about two hundred calories per four. Keep in mind the gooses are quite large, they're quite a heavy kind of serve as well. So I just wanted to give it a big thumbs up because in terms of quality of product in a product that's not necessarily diet sort of low calorie or low car but good quality for the price, a big thumbs up for those urban eats, Japanese style port gooses and the prawn ones and the veggie ones are all really good, and most importantly, they don't have added MSG, which is quite rare when you start to look. There's only a couple of supermarket brands out there, and certainly none of the celebrity chefs, which is really disappointing have a dumpling that either has a high proportion of meat or don't contain added MSG. So yeah, worth a look and if you can track them down, certainly my pick one of my top picks when it comes to supermarket dumplings.
Speaker 2: Go Aldi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me what you think, because you're a bit of a dumpling expert. Given Sophie Leanne's mum is an expert on all things cuisines. What do you guys think she does?
Speaker 2: She makes amazing dumplings and amazing prawn toos. And I must say, back in the day, I did used to make my dumplings swim scratch, but these days I just do not have time. So I'm going to head to Aldi and I am going to try some of them. But they sound great to me. I love nothing more than serving them with some Asian greens, a little bit of sort of oyster sauce, sort of a sesame oil, and you know, just some sesame seeds on top. Really, I think that's a perfect dinner all putting them into a really nice broth with some you know, green beans, buck toy mushrooms, that's sort of thing into a nice like misso style soy broth, so it is quite high in salt, but I think for winter you can't beat it's delicious.
Speaker 1: I'd probably more likely have this as a higher carb lunch with more dumplings and then like you described as a soup tons of veggia with less to keep the calves under control. If your goal, use fat loss and make sure you're choosing a salt reducee soy as well. That's another tip all right Ly. To finish off our weekly motivational episode, we're going to share a warm breakfast option today because I know a lot of my clients are struggling with feeling bored with breakfast or stick of eggs, and this is a bit of a breakfast bake, I would call it, so you could actually double it as a dessert. But it's an apple and blueberry musically crumble, so you could either make it in a big dish baked baking dish, or you could make it in individual little pots. And it's got a huge amount of fruit in at for large Grani Smith apples, one hundred and twenty five grams of blueberries fresh or frozen, because at the moment the berry prices is increased with just a little bit of sugar. You could use a sugar replacement, although it won't mix as well, a bit of lemon juice and corn flour, just mixing that together and then topping it with some musley. Now you could do it an oat based You could do a gluten free musically, or you could do something like the Carmen's fruit free which is my personal favorite. Copper plain flour. Now, you could certainly use whole meal, and you could also certainly use gluten free, and I've used generally, I used butter half a cup of butter softened. But again, if you wanted to muck around with it, you could probably lower the fat by using a bit of olive oil and lessening. That about all you have to do is preheat the oven, combine the fruit and the first ingredients, the corn, four and sugar, add it to a pie or muffin dish, and then top with the crumble mixture, and then bake it for about forty five minutes and you've got a delicious, healthier dessert warming breakfast bowl. And if you wanted to lighten the breakfast mix, you could use less of the crumble and then serve it with a high protein Greek yogurt, and it would be a delicious, warm breakfast option that would keep you full until I would say lunchtime if you load the protein up. So we'll pop that up on our Instagram. But yeah, just for a little bit of recipe, inspirational variety. That is a very easy recipe, pretty clean on the ingredients. You can fiddle it a little bit if you want to lower the fat from the butter, and delicious so serves as a nice breakfast dessert if you're looking for something a bit more indulgent on these chili winter mornings.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. And I'd even take the crumble and a little bit of the fruit and use that on a bit of Greek yogurt as like an afternoon tea snack or a pre gym snack. I think would be a great option as well. Obviously a smaller portion if you're not eating it as a main meal, but I think that would go really really well on top of it, a little bit of yogurt for a snack as well, because I.
Speaker 1: Find people who love granola and musley can really struggle with portions because it's so delicious. So I find if you use it as that crunch or flavor through a protein yogurt or even a cottage cheeseley and it is still all the taste and flavor and fiber, but keeping the portion a bit more balanced so you don't keep just eating the cereal with extra milk, which is where you tip on that bluecose trigger in the brain. And we're actually going to talk about that in our next episode, so stay tuned if you're interested in blood wickos control. Well, that brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch for another midweek Motivational Wednesday episode. Tell your friends about us so we can continue to grow. And if you haven't seen it already and you're in your forties or fifties, you must read our brand new Perry Guide which is available on our website, the Nutritioncouch dot com. And Leanna and I are very busy working on our new Snack Guide to have it out before she has her baby, and that will also be on its way hopefully in a couple of weeks. Time. Have a great week, Have a good week.
Speaker 2: Everyone nods.
Speaker 1: Storm partis