Speaker 1: Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast, I'll be going behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. I'd love to start this week's podcast by suggesting some other content that you could check out. There is a podcast series called Big Brother's Big Eye, and there you will find three fanboys who are commenting on the current series. They have been super fans for years and basically have all grown up watching the show, and they do a really good job. It's great to see some opinions being shared. And while I've been focusing on all television away from Big Brother this year, I still love hearing what people think of the show. But it might not be as good as Margaret Pomorance dragging Big Brother for three whole minutes online, which you might want to check out. A good way to see that is on TV tonight, as I think they've posted it. It's bloody hilarious and I know you will love it. This week I saw an advanced screening of Acorn Original's series two of Missus Fisher's Modern Murder Mystery that will be available on June seventh, which I really liked. It's super camp and I grew up watching, she wrote, so I love a good murder mystery. However, I love Joel Jackson even more. You might have seen him in the award winning role of Peter Allen and the Boy from OZ. He is so sexy and I'm just going to shut up about him right now because I've started to embarrass myself. Check out the trailer for that show and let me know what you think on Twitter. My Twitter handle is Benjamin J.
Speaker 2: Morris.
Speaker 1: Coming up next week on the podcast, I'll have Scott Ryan, the creator, writer and star of Mister end Between, which we'll launch on Foxtel on May twenty six at eight thirty. It was shot in Sydney and you all know how much I love Australian content. On today's episode, I'll be chatting with Alistair McKinnon, who is the Matchbox Pictures MD. He's got a very interesting story which led him to some great experience working at ABC Australia, but now he's at the helm of Matchbox. We talk about everything from Stateless with Cate Blanchette, the upcoming series Things I Know to Be True with Nicole Kidman, and then we move into the Real Housewives of Melbourne, where we discuss who of the housewives will be on Celebrity go or should I say, who should be on Celebrity goggle Box. If you love the ins and outs of the television industry, well press subscribe to this podcast and in the meantime let's get started. Good today's guest, I'd like to welcome Alistair McKinnon to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: Luckily, Australian audiences do love watching Australian stories. It's scary having to carry a secret, it's even scarier putting yourself out there. You make absolutely the best work that you can with the resources that you have. I think the producers have brought together an amazing array of talent. I think winning an Emmy is as good as winning an Oscar? Has I actually been offended even looking at your Well, Jackie's doing Housewives of Melbourne at the moment, so so I think I think she'd be great on a Celebrity boggle Box.
Speaker 3: Stayless for Me turns the expected storytelling on its head.
Speaker 2: We're a broad Church at Matchbox and I'm proud of all of it.
Speaker 1: Hey mate, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm very well? Thanks Ben? How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm actually doing really well, And if I'm honest, I'm just really excited to have you here on TV Reload talking about television and film, which is my favorite thing, and that's what we have in common because it's your favorite thing as well.
Speaker 2: Indeed, I've made a career of it, so I'm delighted to be here and talking to you.
Speaker 1: Then, well, that's nice to hear. My first question I have for you is what was your master class of television and film? You know, what sparked the spark inside of you growing up that made you want to work in this industry.
Speaker 2: Look, it's probably a couple of things. I mean, I was obsessed with film growing up. So I grew up in a relatively small country town in Victoria, and it was pretty broad. You know, I was watching everything. I mean, this is the eighties, So when I think back to that time, it was things like, you know, the John Hughes films towards the late eighties, you know, things like Working Girl and Aliens, and you know, I sort of devoured more. But I was also really obsessed with classic Golden Age of Hollywood as well, So you know, I was really into all of those Katherine Hepburn and Spencer, Tracy Movies, Davis, and just used to watch film all the time. I mean it was my number one past and I was not a sports playing child, so I was very much indoors watching, glued to the vhs. I had a very well used membership at our local video shop. And then I think on the TV side, I was kind of quite into those. It's probably a bit revealing overall, but I was quite into some of those quite high camp, you know, event miniseriies, so things like The Thornbirds and Returned to Eden, things like that that were just such high drama that now would be the stuff of satire and spoof, but at the time were kind of these conversation pieces that just the whole world was talking about. So I was always very into that. And then, of course, you know, as a young tenang, I love neighbors like everyone else, Jason and Kylie and Guy Pierce and those soaps so look pretty broad for me, I would say.
Speaker 1: I just realized that we must be the same age because Aliens and Work are in my top ten films of all time. Aliens.
Speaker 2: Aliens is my favorite film of all time.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite film. Okay, we don't want to be those annoying people on a podcast. I like broccoli. No, I like broccoli, but I think it's amazing that we have that same film. But also I wouldn't swim in our pool at home at nighttime because of Return to Eden.
Speaker 3: My name is Stephanie Harper and this is Eden here, and my father was keen on the day he died seventeen years ago.
Speaker 2: I was twenty three, lonely and afraid.
Speaker 3: If I'd known then of the nightmare that lay ahead, I think I'd have chosen to.
Speaker 2: Die with him. Yeah, I mean it's a classic. I still have Returned to Eden on DVD, not that I have a dvdy same or but I have a copy that I can watch if I get the right equipment.
Speaker 1: And just to give people an idea of what that is. In that mini series, which was just to classic in the eighties, there was a crocodile scene in someone's swimming pool in their backyard and it ruined people for swimming and swimming pools. Yeah, for generations, it's a muugh wlatch. How did you get into television then? How do you transcend from being just passionate about it and then getting into this industry and really owning it.
Speaker 2: Look, I think I was always pretty focused on it, and it was always the direction I wanted to go in. I think at various times I thought maybe I wanted to be a writer or a director, and you know, didn't really particularly have any aptitude for either of those creative endeavors. I ended up doing studying law at university, but I did go to film school as well at VCA, and I think I got to the end of sort of much to my parents' sort of pain, I think, you know, nine years of university jumping between law and film and all of that, and realized that I was probably definitely more suited to that business side. And then, almost by chance, I've been living in London working for my uncle who was a documentary filmmaker, and I moved back to Australia to Sydney, and one of the first jobs I got was at the ABC. It was meant to be sort of like a temporary thing while I was settling in and then kind of stuck around, and then I ended up getting a job in the legal department there. So my first kind of industry job was actually within the legal team at the ABC, and in there you're sort of doing things like, you know, there's some proper law stuff like defamation actions and pre publication advice, and I was always trying to drift closer to the content. And so from there I went to the Australian Film Commission, was working in legal there. I did a stin at the Writers Guild in policy. Then I was at Screen Australia, also in policy. I worked at OZ Film for a time doing international production attraction and then found my way to SBS Business Affairs, which was you know, I stayed. I really enjoyed a lot and ended up as the head of Business Affairs, but was still trying very much to move closer to content. And then Greer Simpkin, who's a good friend who at the time as a deputy head of Fiction at the ABC, was leaving, which was had created this kind of very rare opportunity because people in those jobs tend to hang on to them because they're great jobs. And I managed to segue myself over into the fiction department at the ABC, and shortly not too long after that, Corrolsplan, who was the then head of Fiction, resigned or retired and I found myself as the acting head of fiction suddenly at the ABC until amazing. It's a combination of intention and ambition and always coupled, I think, with a little bit of luck and timing. I think sometimes you can't really necessarily map those things out in a really controlled way. You're at the mercy of external forces. But you know, I've definitely had some luck along the way.
Speaker 1: I always say to people, you know, nothing happens in a straight line, and I think that the greatest people are the ones that your passion and your skill set comes together, and I think that's ultimately your story.
Speaker 2: I certainly would never, however, many years ago, have imagined or envisaged myself running a production company I'm doing now certainly not one of the scale of Matchbox, But now that I'm in that role, it feels like the perfect fit for me, and I'm loving it, and it does feel like it is the culmination of all of these various jobs I've had, some were good, some were bad. That along the way, you're meeting people, you understanding of the industry and how it works kind of just is building and building.
Speaker 1: And you find yourself on Zoom chats with people like Cate Blanchette and Nicole kimm and I imagine and they're not a zoom chat with me.
Speaker 2: Look, look that that is the Triumvirate right there. You've mailed it. Yes, you do get to meet some pretty extraordinary people, and you have, you know, some pretty wild experiences. I mean, going to the Berlinali for a red carpet premiere with Cape Blanchett for Stateless.
Speaker 1: Stateless is a six part limited series that's set in Australia but deals with really universal themes.
Speaker 2: You know, they're the kind of great privileges that come along with working in an industry like this and also a job like this. So you know, I'm very lucky.
Speaker 1: You sometimes just have to pinch yourself at those moments and think this is otherworldly, but you kind of have to acknowledge it in a way, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. Look, I certainly never take anything for granted, and none of it is particularly easy, by the way. I mean, I think to get to those places is the combined effort of so many people. I mean, even just within Matchbox. You know, we're a pretty big team, but you know, a very talented, passionate team, But then also all the other people you're working with the writers, the directors, all of the creatives that come together and for things to work. Always say, it's just as hard. No one sets out to make a bad show or a bad film, and it's just as hard to like a good one as it is to make a bad one. And you're just relying on the sort of alchemy and so many elements kind of converging at the right time. You know, it's a lot of hard work, I think from so many people. It's such a collaborative industry to get you there. So when you do have those sorts of successes or those highs or those moments, yeah, you definitely can't take it for granted.
Speaker 1: What would you say is something that you brought from that experience at ABC into match Box.
Speaker 2: Look, I think one of the really helpful things for that is really understanding the internal workings of a broadcaster, having that insight about what's driving decision making, how those decisions are made. Sometimes when as a production company you might be frustrated at how long something's taking. Having worked there, I can say, well, look, this is the process. That's how that has to happen. So I think you know, we is needs to be patient or so I think it just helped bridge maybe a bit of a relationship gap that can exist from time to time, not always, but you know sometimes when that's there.
Speaker 1: Since taking over from Chris, what would you say is your proudest moment being at Matchbox now?
Speaker 2: Well, look, I mean there's been many, some of which I can't necessarily take credit for because there were things that were in train or in place before I got there. But I think one of the big things when I was coming in was trying to push match Box into being not just one of the top or the leading drama producer in Australia, but really pushing it to become more of a global drama brand. So I think, you know, the explosion of the streaming and we all know and talk about that a lot, and there's lots of industry debate at the moment about what that means and Netflix and Amazon and how do they kind of fit into the ecosystem here, But certainly even five years ago, that opportunity wasn't really there so much. So I think my main missions so I've got here is to really try and push out into the world more So, I think one of the things that I'm most excited about and you know, there are others coming down the line, but was certainly getting a series order from Amazon for Things I Don't be True with Nicole Kidman, you know, partnering with Blossom on that show, you know, Andrew Babell's exceptional play and his beautiful writing, all of that coming together, and then seeing the excitement from Amazon for that work and working with Nicole and at Blossom on that has been a really exciting, I think, demonstration of what that ambition looks like in practice. So it's one thing to say, yeah, we want to be on the world stage and we want to be making global shows and converting that is not straightforward and it's not easy. So for me, things I know to be true, that getting that across the line and now working towards bringing that to Scream feels that is something I'm pretty excited about and pretty proud of.
Speaker 1: Did you have a fascination for Nicole growing up?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is that a surreal moment?
Speaker 2: Bangkok Hilso was one of you know, I was obsessed with that show. That was kind of again, that was one of those great TV mini series events of that era. Yes, and Vietnam and Bem expand it's come on. I mean, like, you know, there was so much she was iconic in Australia, you know, long before she became that this sort of global icon.
Speaker 3: I think that many soldiers who served in Vietnam went believing that they were doing the right thing. But I think the issues of Australian and American involvement are much clearer now.
Speaker 2: Don't really give us stuff, what do you think? Yeah, no, I mean it's absolutely thrilling to be working with her.
Speaker 1: She's incredible and a lot of people say, you know, when you get a chance to meet Nicole, she's more impressive in real life than what you'd imagined.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think we quite often can sometimes have a bit of a disconnect on celebrity, but when it comes to someone who's just reading the books and getting the work done and passionate about story. You know, everyone that's working with her since Nine Perfect Strangers is just in Australia is just like, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, just incredibly hard working, incredibly talented, and incredibly generous. And so I think being able to work with her as a gift absolutely undereniably.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, can you explain a little bit for maybe the non television industry professionals what that collaboration of NBC International and Matchbox Pictures is, like how that came together and the importance of it.
Speaker 2: Well, so I mean, going all the way back, I mean, and this is obviously long before my time. I mean, Matchbox was founded by producing creatives who I think you know ten We celebrated our tenth birthday a year ago, a year and a half ago, so you know, eleven years ago or so, coming together because I think they thought it's such a hard slog when you're a one man band or you know, you're trying to keep your head above order, no matter how talented you are. And I think they realized that by joining forces they could be much stronger as a group, which is how it turned out. And then NBC picked up on that and after about sort of five or six years, ended up buying the company out. That hasn't really changed, I think anything about what Matchbox stands for or it's DNA and in terms of the sorts of projects it makes and the values that we have as a company, the stories we tell the people that we want to represent on screen. But what it does mean is that we have this fantastic resource across the studio group in terms of experience and talent and advice, and you know, we can get access to people that you might not normally readily be able to get access to. NBCU is enormous and when you expand that out to include Universal Pictures and Focus and there is an incredible wealth of talent on the creative side, but also on the business side and on the strategic side. And so even though we still very much function as an independent Australian production company and we have incredible autonomy in what we do well.
Speaker 1: I guess the exceptional growth that you guys have had has just led to that. And I want to know how vital it is to collaborate with international partners and what that means for Matchbox.
Speaker 2: It's pretty essential because I think it's getting harder and harder to put together budgets here. You know, there's been a lot of inflationary effects on the cost of making television, but it hasn't been a correlating increase in terms of the sorts of license fees that broadcasters pay. Competition for eyeballs is fiercer than ever, so I think for some buyers or broadcaster as they think, well, maybe our value is actually declining because we're getting smaller audiences. Why would we pay more for that? But the challenge if you're an Australian production company is that your shows, whether it's in direct partnership with a streamer like a Netflix or an Amazon, or whether it's something you know, they're very good acquirers of Australian content. I mean, if you go to Netflix, they're great at picking up a lot of Australian drama. But then that means that your drama is sitting side by side with something that had five and ten times the budget. And so I'm kind of always very conscious of you make absolutely the best work that you can with the resources that you have, but then when suddenly you're slapped next to Bridgeton, it's hard not to be concerned about how people then might differentiate, say, oh, those Australian shows they don't look as polished as the big American ones or the UK ones. Maybe I'll lean that way, but I think those international partnerships are becoming more important. It's a very long winded way of saying in terms of like putting together the sorts of budgets you need, I guess, to compete in that global space. It's not really enough to be making a show on a traditional budget model and expect that to really land, necessarily with an American audience or what have you. That said, you then do have breakouts which surprise everybody. I mean Safe Harbor, which was a series we did for SBS, fantastic series. You know, it looks a billion dollars. I mean, you know, the value is very much on screen for that. Incredibly talented people all over it, and that ended up becoming a huge success for us with global sales and won an international Emmy Award. So you know, there are exceptions to the rule, but I think in general we are in a situation of spiraling inflation on budgets and it's getting harder and harder to put together the finance for series. So yeah, international money is becoming more and more important.
Speaker 1: I think it's funny that you talk about the quality and comparing it against other markets and other countries, because you know the family law, seven types of ambiguity, total control. You know, they're all so beautifully shot. Doesn't matter whether it's a drama or a comedy. I feel like if you see the Matchbox come up, I get a sense of what I already know what to expect. There's a quality that comes across with all of the work. Is there a way in making sure that there is that kind of brand element?
Speaker 2: Look, I think there is a kind of Matchbox DNA, And I think Matchbox, because it has always had such a high standard for what we do and don't do, means that you are regularly attracting and working with the very best people. So that's very helpful. I mean, I think we've sort of talked Debbie Lee, who's our head of scripted. We always talk about the fact that we never would make anything or we'd never take anything on to develop unless there was somebody in the creative team that was prepared to kind of sweat blood at two in the morning, someone is prepared to absolutely die in a ditch for that idea or that show, and if it doesn't pass that threshold, then we don't do it. We would never take something off because for opportunistic reasons, you know, oh, hey, someone wants someone's got this idea and they've already got you know, a broadcast interested and lined up. If it doesn't really resonate for us. We would never do it just because we could. And I think that means you end up with a catalog like the one that we have, you know, the library of content.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, you know, I wonder whether or not actors are choosing to make television content over film content. Do you think that's the case. Do you think actors are being more drawn to making television content over taking film roles.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you can't deny, you know, the absolute explosion of you know, traditionally the Hollywood movie stars doing television now. I mean watching Kate Winslet in Mayor of Eastown at the moment, and I think you could not say that she has given a better performance in any film she's ever done. I mean, I think it's her best work. I think it's an astonishingly good series. And I think actors have come to realize that a lot of those really top line actors have come to see that there is no real differentiation in terms of the quality and ambition that you can have. I mean, TV series now go anywhere and do anything. They have budgets wildly exceeding film, and so you see that reflected everyone from Julia Roberts to George Clooney to Kate winslet you know, they're all doing television, and I think there's no kind of snobbishness there anymore. I think winning an Emmy is as good as winning an Oscar. I think that's a really fantastic change, because there are so many stories that can't be told in nineteen minutes or are so truncated, particularly if you're looking at things like book adaptations or we're actually having that longer format to be able to tell stories just means you can bring so much more to it. And especially in a year where people were pretty much stuck at home and people weren't going to movie theaters anyway, and you had time to kill, people could really engage with the longer format. So yeah, I mean, I think actors havenorned TV and way that they never were before. For sure.
Speaker 1: I can honestly tell you that my favorite moments in the last sixteen months have all been watching television at home, and that is a sign of the times, I guess, with having lockdowns and things like that. But I can tell you Big Little Lies was a great book, and having the privilege of the luxury, I guess I don't know how to describe it. Being told in long form just proved that there's there's a need, there's a thirst for it. People want, people want to They're willing to commit to this content, you know, they and they're well.
Speaker 2: And I think I may I may not be completely right about this, but I think that sort of long form premium TV storytelling has kind of replaced in some ways what used to be the mid budget feature film. So feature become these big event films like Quiet Place Too, or the Marvel films, or you know, these kind of you know sci fi or you know, effects laden mega blockbusters, Avengers, et cetera, or really arthouse more indie things, you know The Father recently, you know, those sorts of films that are speaking to a much more niche market. That sort of mid range, mid budget film, I think is finding it much much harder to get an audience, and I think they're harder to finance. And so it feels an observation, It feels to me like that sort of premium TV has really taken the place of that middle range. So you've got the megabudget at the top, you've got the low budget at the bottom, and in the middle, there's television.
Speaker 1: And you're producing alongside as we were talking about before, but you're producing with Nicole Kimmen with Blossom Films, well underneath the Blossom Films banner and association with Jen Chapman Films. What can you tell us about things I know to be true?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I mean, well, I suppose a lot of people have seen the play because it's been a really successful theater production, and you know it was a Belvoir, but it also had international runs in America and in Europe, in the UK and in Spain. So I mean, I don't know if this is a so much. And because a lot of people have seen it, I know that every audience sees that ends up crying by the end of it because it's so moving. But was that this very Australian story that Andrew created said in the Adelaide suburbs resonated equally wherever it was performed. And I think it was something interesting too when Amazon, who our ultimate partners on it, when they read the scripts, they had exactly the same reaction to It's just this very universal story that I think is so right for the times as well, because it's about family and connection at a time when I think we've all been either separated from family, trying to get back together with family, trying to reconnect and thinking about world and relationship in a different way. I think it's something that audiences are going to really love. And I mean, and that's why you know, Amanda Higgs, who's an incredible producer, who was the person that saw the play and you know went after those rights, you know, immediately thank goodness for her. But of course, you know, you don't get to work with legends like Jan Chapman and companies like Blossom if you don't have something pretty special. So I don't know that that's so much of a tease other than to say I think it's going to be pretty exceptional, so people should be looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think it ultimately, like Big Little Lies and The Undoing have sort of reinvented television drama in a way. You know, now with Nicole coming back into Australia to do Nine Perfect Strangers, was it a good opportunity to get involved with some of the best global storytellers at that point? Like, was that a moment where you're thinking, well, we can then tap into that as much as we can tap into our resources through NBC.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean, I think the amazing thing about well, this kind of side bar from COVID or you know, an impact of COVID and Australia's successful handling of it or keeping it kind of relatively under control is of course we can see there is just so much American production that's come out to Australia, you know, and some of those you know, we're involved with, you know, Young Rock and Lebrea, which are shooting in Melbourne at the moment, Exotic, you know, we're looking after on the ground. But you know, there are so many other productions out here from Netflix and made up stories and that's a great thing for the industry because well there's pros and coms right. So on the one hand, you have the opportunity for Cruise one to be working at full capacity. Everybody's busy as hell and it's and that's a powerful thing. And people are getting exposure to budgets that they might never have normally been able to work with, and you're working with technology that you have been able to work with. So there's a huge kind of learning and upskilling that goes along with that. The downside, of course, being that competition for cruse and writers and directors has never been more ferocious, and people are just so busy that sometimes if you're trying to crew up a show, you literally just can't find the people. Not because you can't find the best people, you actually just can't find anyone. I mean, we were, you know, on some of our shows you're kind of trying to get builders or people that have or electricians that have never worked in the industry before trying to draw their men just because you can't find the people that are normally doing those roles because there's just so much going on, and I think we're pretty much at industry capacity. But to your point, yes, it means suddenly there's all of these people in town. There's people you're meeting and talking to and able to swap stories with, and I think it feels like a really great opportunity for everybody to kind of think differently about their ambition and who they're working with and finding other ways to collaborate and work because we're all scrambling for the same resources.
Speaker 1: How important would you say it is to show the rest of the world who we are in Australia you know, especially in this industry, how important do you think it is for us to be able to share our culture on a bigger scale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that's vitally important. You know, Australians have always punched well above their weight when it comes to the industry. You know, there are so many Australians in Hollywood and in the UK. Inded, there are Australians who don't even know are Australian. You know, there are actually and people that never really did any work in Australia that went straight to Hollywood and now have successful careers and you probably wouldn't even realize because you've only ever heard them speaking with an American accent. Even when I was working at the ABC and I was traveling to LA to kind of try and create co productions and find partners so I can try and leverage the ABC budgets further, any agent you spoke to, anywhere you went, any buyer you went to, they were all very well aware of the Australian extraordinary talent that was coming out of here. I mean, I think if you look at the top actors in the world, given our population size, we are disproportionately represented so I think in terms of Australians going out into the world and taking their talent to the world, that's kind of that's always been there. But I think it is really important that we are telling Australians stories as well and that they are traveling. And I think so when you see shows like Mystery Road for example, which is you got a very uniquely distinctive Australian flavor, it's important to tell them that sort of story or Stateless even which you know is a very global story but actually something that's very particular to Australia's you know, engine program at the time. And for that to end up globally on Netflix, I think is a wonderful thing because it's helping to kind of inform the world about who we are and what we do for better or worse. You know, it can't all be happy. But I think when you if you're doing something more generic, if you're doing sort of like an Australian procedural, you're always going to have a much harder time trying to cut through and get any kind of recognition internationally. Because you look at the US, for example, they do procedurals so well. They do them by you in huge numbers, shows like Law and Order and SPU and those kinds of things. If we were making those sorts of shows, they're going to have a lot of trouble breaking out, I think outside. So it's only really those uniquely Australian stories that are going to have the best chance of traveling. So in a way, they kind of one creates the other. It's kind of like an infinite loop.
Speaker 1: Really has our storytelling changed in the last few years? Are we sort of turning a corner with Australian storytelling? And the reason why I asked that is that for a while people said we only could tell stories that were quite bleak about our country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I mean, I think our storytelling has definitely become a lot more sophisticated, and I think that we definitely can compete with the best of television being made anywhere in the world. We've always been really great at comedy, but I think sometimes our comedy is so Australian that maybe that doesn't travel so well overseas, so that ends up being like a very domestic play. And I take your point about dramas often being quite sort of heavy and serious, but I do think there is much more diversity out there now in terms of what's being made and what people are looking for. And I think there's also been a shift though to in what people's expectations are of a drama. And I think, you know, it used to be, you know, a half hour is a comedy, and now it is a drama drama. And I think now you have half hours that are dramas and hours that are light sort of drama das. And I think there's much more nuance in those categories and what audiences expect from those categories. And I think you can see that playing out and the sorts of shows that are coming through.
Speaker 1: Kate Blanchette said that, you know, drama needs to be challenging and impolite, which I loved that heading. I thought it was amazing. What did you learn from working alongside someone like Kate Blanchette.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I mean, Kate is just ferociously intelligent and really does have an incredible social awareness and social conscience. And I think everything that she does, you know, from my observation, everything that she does, and certainly working with her, is done with such purpose and intent. There's nothing frivolous. About the decision making, you know, all the way through something like stateless. And she was absolutely tireless on that show in terms of casting and the creative and you know her, she was determined to make that show as good as it possibly could be, and you know, really backed it up. So I think, what did I learn? I mean, well, apart from being in the presence of greatness, I mean getting to watch her perform and being on set, particularly when she did that big song and dance number early on in the series, was an incredible gift. But also I think just seeing just that tireless pursuit of excellence, never accepting second best, never accepting no, and just always pushing to get the best possible outcome. And Kate and I mean everyone on that show indeed did it. It wasn't certainly it wasn't just her, but certainly that is something that you know, I witnessed.
Speaker 1: That show was just so amazing. And you guys really know how to sort of present a balanced diet of content. You know, do you enjoy the Real Housewives of Melbourne as much as making these other programs.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm not ashamed to admit I am a fan of the Housewives franchise. I love The Real Housewives and Melbourne. We're in the middle of production at the moment with a fabulous cast of new faces and some of the original cast members as well. But I think when I came into the job, because I'm a bit of a squat about these things, and I knew that Housewives was one of ours, I hadn't before, but I did actually start watching a lot of the International Housewives, So I mean Beverly Hills, New York, Atlanta. I've I've seen more than that than I should probably admit. And I'm a fan. I mean, I think it's not you know, people can be people can sort of go, oh god, that reality sort of trash or you know, people people can be quite negative about it. But actually those shows are wildly successful and connect with audiences and provide form of escapism or entertainment that you know, sometimes that is just in a mixed diet of whatever TV you want to watch. Everything can't be stateless, and sometimes watching a couple of housewives go at it over something like you know, trivial is the best way to turn off. And those shows are incredibly well made, and you know, there are incredibly skilled producers who are managing those They're not easy to make because in a way, and you know, and sometimes people think, oh, it's all fake and it's scripted, and it's not the case. You know, people are experiencing things in real time and having real reactions. And I have a lot of respect for housewives. I think. I think it's an incredible and I got a wildly successful franchise. I can't wait for Melbourne this year. I think it's it's shaping up to be a cracker of a series, this one.
Speaker 1: Who is creating all the drama in this new series that's happening at the moment.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean I think, well, we're early, we're early days in the process. But I mean I think if you imagine that we've got you know, Gamble and Janet and Jackie from the sort of original cast, and then you've got a whole new group that creates a completely new dynamic. And as people are kind of working out who's who and who's friends with who and relationships are being forged, so it will certainly be a lot of drama.
Speaker 1: Again, if you were a housewife, what sort of personality type would you be?
Speaker 2: Good? Agree, Maybe I'd be a Bethny frank maybe a slightly more reserved Bethany Frankle.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the reason why that show is so popular is because we all can relate in some way. There's usually a character type or somebody that you know, you can resonate with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean Bethany is somebody who I mean, I think wildly entertaining, because certainly somebody who is just relentlessly honest, very forcefully so sometimes but you know, man, did she over the years that she was in New York, did she deliver the goods?
Speaker 1: So Confessions of an Oversharer it's basically the title of her book.
Speaker 2: She auditioned for Wheelhousewives of New York, spent you know, seven grand on an audition tape or something, and has now leveraged her role on that show to like one hundred million dollar empire that she now sits on top of. So you can't see I mean that is that is that is a woman who knows what she's doing.
Speaker 1: There's a rumor going around this week about celebrity goggle Box. It's happening, so that's not a rumor, but that Lydia and Jackie have both been asked to do Celebrity goggle Box and I want to be great. No, Well, they're only going to pick one of them apparently, So who would be better on Celebrity goggle Box, Lydia or Jackie.
Speaker 2: Well, Jackie's doing Housewives of Melbourne at the moment, so I'd love to see Lydia do it. So I think I think she'd be great on a celebrity goggle Box.
Speaker 3: Don't suck on your own fucking head.
Speaker 2: Lydia had a lot of great moments over the years. I think one of my favorites was what's a great line? When Gina's cutting her off or something and she says, can I please Spock?
Speaker 1: Why is it that I'm being blamed that I'm being say you've actually said.
Speaker 2: The worst Spock? Spock? Can I speak?
Speaker 3: I don't know, can you Spock?
Speaker 1: Do you think we'd ever see any of the original people coming back? You know, there's been Pettiflower, Andrea Moss, Susie. I'm just trying to think of all the people that have now gone. Do you think that any of these people ever come back in a friend role?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, I think it's always possible. I mean, I think you're always open minded about you know what's the right makeup and what's the right dynamic, and it just comes down to timing and who else is around and what you're looking to do with the show and what sort of direction you're intending to go in. But I mean, I think if you look at all of the international franchises, some of which are in you know, season thirteen and beyond, there is a bit of that kind of fluidity if people might step out for a few years, come back or come back as a friend, and so yeah, we'd certainly be open to that. As to who specifically, I don't know, you'd have to sort of go through. There's been I mean, there's been some interesting characters over the years, but sure, you know, I think you never say never.
Speaker 1: Now, I want to pitch an idea to you before you go, because I enjoy the show overseas, which is the only Way is Essex, and I think that there's a real market for the Only Way is Melbourne, because it wouldn't be nice to see young people on screen in this sort of semi scripted reality format similar to what Essex is. You know, it's real, but some of it's set up for your entertainment. Do you think that there is a possibility for the Way is Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean I'm a fan of Taui as well, and I look, to be honest with you, I hadn't really thought about that before, but yeah, I think that's a good idea, Ben, good pitch, Definitely, that's I mean, I think I think the only Way is Essex is a really fun show. And again there's been some fantastic characters that have come out of that and become quite well known celebrities, you know, people you know, fan favorites in the UK. And yeah, I take your point about that kind of depiction of younger people and opportunities for younger people to be in that space. So yeah, good idea.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, we need to bring younger audiences back into the fold, and there is a lot more content being made for probably a little bit older audiences. It would be good to tell some story about because I'm forty and I find myself learning so much from younger people that's so different to who I was at that age. Yeah, so I'm fascinated in my own right of wanting to know what's going on.
Speaker 2: It's too I mean, I think I think the really younger audiences. A lot of them don't watch television at all. And when I say provision, I don't mean kind of literally television on a wall, because not many people are doing that these days, But I mean they don't watch that kind of traditional drama. You know, They're watching YouTube and shorts and TikTok. And I think it's an ongoing kind of challenge for the industry is how do you really connect? And I think when you crack it and you make the right show, the audience is there. And I think, you know, the americud market probably does it a bit more successfully than we do. At the moment, there's not a huge amount of programming coming out of Australia that I think is targeting that generation kids, yes, teens, yes, but you know, we don't do a lot of ya and we don't do a lot that's kind of speaking to them. So yeah, I think there's definitely work to be done. But they're a tough market to crack at the moment because they've just got so many other options for how they spend their screen time, including making their own you know, like a lot of them are the start their own they're the stars of their own kind of screen creations, So you know, how do you get Kate Planchette to keep to compete with someone who's watching themselves.
Speaker 1: The last question I have for you is, what is a funny story from behind the scenes at Matchbox? You know, something of a funny anecdote or a moment, you know when you tell people what it is that you do for.
Speaker 2: Work for us. I mean, all of that goal probably comes in the making of Housewives, probably too many to even mention. Some things then that I could not even repeat on this podcast because of the way the show is made and all reality in fact. So you'd see this if you watch Kardashians or any of those shows where you're watching you know, sequences of life or you know things that have played out, and then you have somebody's direct to camera interview where they're talking as though it's in real time, but obviously that's filmed at a different time, and so often you would need to show you have to show Pete to remind them of like four months ago this moment was happening, what we're thinking, So then somebody is having to speak to that in their direct camera. But what the Housewives franchise globally have done, is that they generally save up showing everybody the episodes until just before the reunion, so that actually what happens is those reunion specials, which you know for Beverly Hills and New York Rum, you know, they're three partners, and that's because all of the women watched the whole show for the first time just before, so suddenly they see what everybody's been saying in their direct cameras or things that maybe they were saying behind their back. So you said one thing to me here and then you said something else there, and so obviously what that does is mean that by the time everyone's sitting, you know, in they're dressed in the nines at the reunion, there are some raw wounds that maybe have been reopened, and so it's an opportunity for everybody that's thrashed that out there.
Speaker 1: Insignificant ass hair is what comes to mind when I think about Real Housewives of Melbourne reunion. You are not the.
Speaker 3: Same way even Curio insignificant ass here.
Speaker 1: That's when you're like, I have come so far and I am the head of Matchbox and some of the content I may involve Cape Blanchette saying some magnificent words, and then I have Genieliano saying insignificant ass here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we're a broad church at match Box, and I'm proud of all that.
Speaker 1: Well, I just want to say thank you so much for making some of the best Australian content I've ever seen and working on that. I think it's important for people to realize that you might see the actors, but it's about the people that get these stories made, the writers, the cameraman, everybody that works on it. It's so collaborative. And you have done a fantastic job since you've been at Matchbox, bringing in some international dollars and adding to the conversation. And I want to say thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ben, It's been a real pleasure.