Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast.
Speaker 2: Past Deep that Mine.
Speaker 1: Welcome back guys to TV Reload. As you may know, my name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the insight goss on the popular TV shows you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. So each episode I find guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper to the shows they're currently making so that you can hear all their exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast however you found me. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. On today's podcast to have Sandra Sully, who has just had her massive reveal on the Mask Singer this week. If you missed Sandra's performance, you can check that out on ten Play. Because it was fantastic to see Australia's most recognizable female newsreader dressed up as a singing form. As an Australian news presenter and journalist, Sandrasal is most known for her work on Network ten, where she presents Australia's top stories nationally. Sandra stepped out of her comfort zone and showed a heartwarming side to her personality for the mass singer, which would have been a breath of fresh air for her as a serious journalist who is very well known for being the first Australian television journalist to cover the nine to eleven terrorist attacks. Sandra is a bright personality with a vast knowledge and is certainly a quick thinker and it is a joy to have her here today. I will ask Sandra what she thinks of those rumors that the masks have actors inside those suits and are simply miming to some prerecorded songs. Sandra will reveal the person who convinced her to take on the popular reality show and what she really thinks of her singing voice. We will talk about the song Sandra was learning which we didn't get to see, and how she covered up her absence from the news desk to take part in this singing competition. Plus, you will get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes of The Mass Singer, which returns next Monday night at seven thirty on Network ten. And if you have fallen a little bit behind, even if you know who we're in the masks, you can catch up on contenplay. Anyway, Let's brings Andrew Sully into the podcast, which I'm very excited about, and I hope you enjoy this very insightful look at the Mask Singer for TV reload.
Speaker 3: Hello, hell are you?
Speaker 1: I'm so good. I'm so excited to be talking to you about this. Oh, the Mask Singer. What were you thinking?
Speaker 3: I know, crazy cat, aren't I? Or I'm a crazy fawn. I'm a dip thing though, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And we're just doing some publicity this morning and somebody said, you know, is it because of the kind of serious space you live in professionally? And I think, possibly unconsciously, maybe that was part of the motivation.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're coming pretty heavy. It is. It can be a dark space, but it's you know, it can be heavy with policy and issues and all sorts of other stuff.
Speaker 2: And maybe unconsciously it was part of the motivation, was just to have a bit of fun.
Speaker 3: But I didn't need it. For therapy, but.
Speaker 1: I do suggesting that it's there for therapy.
Speaker 2: Oh just somebody said, and I thought, no, I didn't do it for that reason. But maybe part of the motivation unconsciously is that I'm always living in that serious space, and it's a space I love.
Speaker 3: That I'm really comfortable with. I mean, I love what I do.
Speaker 2: But this was a chance to just strike caution to the wind and be silly. And you know, life is the you know, the dark in the shade and everything in between, and you do often need to just remind.
Speaker 3: Yourself to have a giggle, have a bit of fun.
Speaker 2: It can all end in an instant and you should really just enjoy the journey and be crazy and have you know two things you're not necessarily always comfortable doing. I mean, singing, it's not something I am comfortable to doing. I am not comfortable standing in a bodysuit on a stage on national television, moving to a song and pretending, you know, I'm something that's skid, like this is not who I am.
Speaker 1: Well, you know they thought you were Jackie. Oh and she's in this body transformation. And the funny thing is you don't even need a body transformation. You already look like that and have done for years.
Speaker 2: And then those those gorgeous judges had the temerity to say, Miranda.
Speaker 3: Her, I nearly fell over that through that, and then my chest well with pride, and I went, this is so good. If there's any takeout from this.
Speaker 2: Entire series, as they said, I could be Miranda Her. Did they not look at it short? I am how impossible that could ever be? But I did laugh a lot. I did laugh that loud.
Speaker 3: That was great.
Speaker 1: It was fun to watch you because I was like, this is so fun to see you in a different environment. It's kind of like you know when you're at school and you would see your teacher at the shopping center. You know, it's in an environment you weren't or you'd see them, your teacher or your parents when they have a drink, you know what I mean. Like, it's just fun to be able to see you have that jewelry. I guess you know.
Speaker 2: It reminded me when I was in year five we went to a family wedding and my teacher was at the wedding, and I remember exactly what that was like. I kept looking at them all night, thinking, mind you when you're not mister so like, Oh.
Speaker 1: But Sandra, that was all of Australia last time. Everyone in the Australian had that emotion. I could feel it.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, so funny.
Speaker 1: What was the experience like, you know, to be able to get up there and do that. Was it as fun as you expected it to be or was it nerve wracking? Like? How did it? How did it play out in comparison to how you thought it was going to go.
Speaker 2: I knew it would be challenging because I can't sing, and I knew it'd be confronting because you know, part of the deal is you have to hide in.
Speaker 3: This costume, you have to perform, you have to move on.
Speaker 2: Stage and sing, and then you have to go through the reveal and then you have you know, if you were chosen then you have to sing to the end.
Speaker 3: Of show live.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was absolutely terrifying, But I kept pushing.
Speaker 2: That to the back of my mind and thought, the process is here is to have a bit of fun and be able to laugh at yourself and enjoy The journey for me was actually just seeing if I could go through with it. I have to give full credit to my husband. He was the one that actually took me into it, and he kept reminding me, and there were many moments where I nearly backed out. You know, I had a session with the singing coach that ended in tears because I was just so aware that this was not going well.
Speaker 1: Hold off really well. But I mean, if you're not somebody who's a singer, or even someone who likes karaoke, you know, it's a very hard environment to be able to put yourself into. So I mean, I if it was me, I would be in tears as well, because I'm not a singer at all, and that frightens me.
Speaker 3: I don't sing to myself in the shower, and that's the truth.
Speaker 1: You're not even that person.
Speaker 2: I'm not even that person, right, So this this was next level discomfort, next level And then I just my husband kept reminding me that you know what, have you got to lose. The worst that can happen is you're going to laugh at yourself, And I thought, you know what, I'm not going to die.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: It's before I ever became a journalist, I worked in community recreation, health and fitness, and I learned very early on that most adults lose the ability to play and have fun in a childlike.
Speaker 3: Playful way, which is saying and it is and I've always known that's the truth. And then I said to myself, well have you done that? Sandal? Is that where you're at? You know, you've you've woken up in the straight jacket.
Speaker 2: You've sown yourself, which we all do by habit ritual, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, we hit repeat when we wake up every day. We do what we do because we love it.
Speaker 2: But it's also briutine and it's comfortable, and so rip that straight jacket off and then say, what have I actually got to lose? Why not just have a bit of fun and see where I go? And I knew I'd never get past, you know, the first performances, correct though, Just do one song and get out.
Speaker 1: That's what everyone wants. I think I've got friends that have been asked to do the show and they say to the casting people, look, i'll do it, but can you rig it so that I come out first? And they're like, oh, you might be there for like, you know, five songs. And they're like, okay, no, I'm not going to do it. But you know, you got the dream. You got to get a costume made for you you got to be fabulous. They called you Miranda, and then I feel as though for the week after you doing something like this, you'd feel alive. You know what.
Speaker 3: I think you've actually nailed it. I do.
Speaker 2: I've been trying to process it all morning since it happened last night with family and friends and the reaction. You know that people are giving me and they're just being so lovely, and I'm taken aback about how surprised they am that I did it, and I'm already surprised. And then I respond to them being surprised, and I think, oh my god, having walked through the newsroom yet. So I've got text messages for my colleagues. Matt Burke's angry because I went on a show without him.
Speaker 1: Of course now he's jealous. Well, we're gonna have to guess that he's a part of it next year, because he'll end up doing it.
Speaker 3: I know. I'll say Jesty does something kind of rad.
Speaker 1: But there was a room last week that you guys recorded the songs in a recording studio and then someone gets up in minds them for you, and that you're only there just to reveal the mask coming off the at at the end. Did you hear that rumor and were you very upset about it because you knew the reality.
Speaker 2: I never heard the rumor, and I think I'm relieved that I didn't, because it would have made me quite angry, given you know, the journey I've.
Speaker 3: Been on and the trials and tribulations.
Speaker 2: And anxiety, you know, like I was petrified, literally petrified, and how do I overcome that, you know, stage fright.
Speaker 3: No, I never heard that at all. That's news to me. How ridiculous, how ridiculous.
Speaker 1: But I mean everyone has all these theories. I mean I heard that you're only allowed to tell one person that you're going to do the show, and I'm assuming you know, for you it would be your husband, But I mean they can't control that. So I want to know how many people did you actually reveal that you were going to take on this show?
Speaker 3: Well? No, well you have to sign an NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's a legal requirement, so you know, but the legal requirement is with my family, and I'm not going to do the wrong thing by my family, which is network.
Speaker 3: But I will I will tell you the truth. It was my husband and my mum.
Speaker 1: Okay, because my mum.
Speaker 2: I knew when I wasn't on the news something I wanted to know why. Yes, my own tween's sister, do I know doesn't always watch me? Never rang and said, what put you on the news last night? I went, I know, No, she doesn't watch me.
Speaker 3: It's just brute all away.
Speaker 2: To me in this process that my twin's sister doesn't always watch me.
Speaker 1: Brutal, brutal. And then you also sort of mentioned because you know Chrissy Sworn and Aby Chatfield have both gone into the jungle, and you said, there's no way that I would ever do that. But the question I have for you is, I'd be surprised if anyone has asked you to do that show. Was there any truth in that of they as as your family speak, and to do that they.
Speaker 3: Have Stephen Tays asked me several times, what.
Speaker 1: Do you say when they when they bring you up and ask you to do something like that.
Speaker 2: I just look at Stephen and I go, no, don't go there, don't go yeah, because I am incredibly claustrophobic, So just putting the full mask on was tough enough. But I am I am incredibly clostrophobe, and I have a visceral fear of snakes, and so it's just not possible. I couldn't get into caves and be chained up and have water over my head and then snake swimming around me like no life to you?
Speaker 3: Why would I do that to myself?
Speaker 1: That's how I felt watching Carry and Kennelly last year. I was thinking, Carrie Kack, what are you doing like that? That is a lot no look.
Speaker 2: Call credit to anyone brave enough to do it, but it's not me. Right, I did what I did last night, but I'd rather chop her in, bring them the news and chop.
Speaker 1: Her out absolutely well. Of course I have a quick a few quick questions for you. So when it comes to the song, did you have any choice in that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Were you happy with the song choice that was made?
Speaker 2: I was thrilled with the song choice because no one would have expected it. Yeah, right, no one ever expected it. So that was fun. I'll tell you. One of the other ones that we were looking at made you look by Meghan Trainer.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, did they actually start you learning that song? Well, like, just in case you were going through they did?
Speaker 2: I know, I know they did. Yeah, girls just want to have fun, la, So funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you're going to need to record those just at home, just for your social media, because I can from that.
Speaker 3: I did love made You look as well.
Speaker 2: They were great songs, but I left it to the experts to decide what which was the one, Which was the right one for me given in the low starting base they were dealing with.
Speaker 1: And how uncomfortable was that outfit? I mean, it looked like one of the easier ones. I'm going to say, so no discredit to the situation, because I'm sure it would have been a bit stressful, But you know, how uncomfortable was it to put it on and to perform in it.
Speaker 3: The body slit was all good.
Speaker 2: The body slit was good, although it did have a full head piece inside the mask, so it was almost like a balaclavia. Your head's completely enclosed. You just have an opening for your mouth and your face. And then to put that on, it's almost like a bike helmet tightening mechanism inside at the back, and so I could only see through the mouth, not the eyes.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm claustrophobic listening to.
Speaker 2: This, and so I think my Another part of the process was I wasn't still until we went for the costume fitting. How I was going to go with the mask on my head, but I had let them know that, you know, you can't be too complicated and I can't be in here for too long.
Speaker 3: So the second time.
Speaker 2: We put the mask on, and then they had to pull the lycra up under my chin and they'll crow everything in you to the complete cocoon was a deep breath.
Speaker 1: Could you give them any feedback? Could you give any feedback and say it's pulling me here? Can we go?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay? Great?
Speaker 3: They were amazing.
Speaker 2: They do everything they can to make you as comfortable as you can be, even though you know it's not comfortable.
Speaker 3: You know, like you sign up for the game, right.
Speaker 2: And the team I just you know the magicians was what they do with the costumes.
Speaker 3: I mean, what about could you see Blue Bottle and Queen snow.
Speaker 2: Fox to just see those costumes, They're unbelievable and so like Snowfox is so tall, I forget it and tiny.
Speaker 3: Someone was walking.
Speaker 2: Down some stairs last night and you have to have someone hold your hand because you can't see out of the mask where people think you can. So you're completely discombobulated, right, your spatial awareness is warped. You have none, and you've got to try and navigate a stage where you can't see the edge. You've got dancers around you, and then you've got a light that you can only partially see that you should try and aim your performance towards because that's the main camera.
Speaker 3: You're inside this cocoon, and then.
Speaker 2: You're trying to sing, like really, it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I get the feeling that you'll dream of this for a very long time. I feel like, you know, a good dream or a nightmare.
Speaker 2: I don't think I realized until you know I actually did what I did.
Speaker 3: How elaborate the process is. And that's where it's a shame. You know. The viewers don't really get it either.
Speaker 2: I think audience members see it and they appreciate it because they see they get context, you know, and they see the reality of the size of the costumes and the characters. But the judges know a what it takes you to sign up to do this, and the commitment, and it's weeks and months of planning and preparation and lies and mischief making. But then it's also the vulnerability of going through.
Speaker 4: The whole process and then the performance, and then on the night you are you know, it's just you cacooned in this invisible little lie, pretending to be someone else giving it.
Speaker 3: You're all feeling like a fraud.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think as well, the magic of playing costumes and something you know you brought up earlier. I think there's something quite magical about being an adult and reimagining that sort of childhood side of yourself. Like, I think there's something quite powerful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as a kid, you know, I didn't ever sign up to do plays or acting.
Speaker 3: I'm not an actress.
Speaker 2: That's not in my DNA, and I don't even think I had a great imagination as a kid. But this allowed me to just be playful and remember what it was like to be a kid.
Speaker 1: I think we all need a bit of that.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 2: It's really cathartic, and it's really soul enriching, you know. I'm really I think that's the most that I've got out of it is the chance to sort of remember what it's like to just be silly, have a giggle, take yourself outside your comfort zone.
Speaker 3: I know I say that a lot, but it's so true. You're right.
Speaker 2: Role plays something completely extreme from who you are and give it a go.
Speaker 1: I'd love to be a sink. That's the one thing I always think, you know, I'd watch people who can sing, and I'm always amazed by it, you know. I love to be able to know what that feels like. And then I go to a karaoke bar and try to sing, and then I see the face of the face that I knew that i'd get, which is, no, mate, you can't sing.
Speaker 3: You see, I don't do karaoke. I always go and cheer everyone on, but I won't know how that I am.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: But it's so funny.
Speaker 2: My little niece, my sister in law film my niece last night and she actually, oh my god, it's Adele. Then I just laughed out loud because Adele, like seriously.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of they had told me this. You had, no, no, no, it's Arnie Sandy. I can't believe Annie Sandy's doing that.
Speaker 1: You obviously were on stage at one point with some of the other masks, and you've now watched last night's episode. Do you have any guesses as to your insights on who may be under some of those masks?
Speaker 2: You know, I honestly do not have a clue, Like I'm now looking at it with a whole different lens.
Speaker 3: I think some of the guesses about.
Speaker 2: Pete Murray, and I think they're pretty they're pretty on the money in so far as that it could well be them, but onestly don't know, Like you were in these demountables at the back of the stage studios, which are soundproof and light proof. So he's sitting in this bubble of anonymity and nobody in.
Speaker 3: None of the production crew, Like you can't let anyone know who anyone is.
Speaker 2: So there's about three people in your world that know it's you, and other than that, everyone backstage has worn a secrecy.
Speaker 3: You walk around in these.
Speaker 2: In these you know, bathrobes with hoods, you look like you're part of the you know, akk.
Speaker 3: You're the only one that can see out. They can't see in.
Speaker 2: You have have someone hold your hand everywhere you go because you can't see properly and they can't know that it's you, So like you have to think about your phone case and your handbag, anything that's recognizable. The lengths they go to to maintain your anonymity is exceptional, and you know, hats off to the whole crew and the way they do it because you know, like no one knew it was me. I don't have no idea who the others are. And I can't wait to see the rest of the reveals.
Speaker 1: Were you going to peem? Miranda last year was saying that she could also choose any snacks that she wanted, which I thought was hilarious. That's the only thing that would draw me into doing something like this. Did they offer you any snacks you want for your dressing room just to like keep you happy.
Speaker 3: I've just discovered there's two lots of treatment, and clearly I got the B treatment and I didn't hear Franda.
Speaker 1: Maybe she demanded it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, none of everything was on tap. But you know, you're so nervous, Like I didn't eat. Wow, I'm so nervous. I sat because you sit there, you're going you know, you rehearse, and you rehearse.
Speaker 2: In your mind and you have to whisper it, and you're in this little sort of amountsaball and then you're going through your little dance steps and you're thinking, how many hours can I just get this over and done with? I just want to go home.
Speaker 3: I just I just want to get to draw it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's done and dusted now, and I think it's something for you. I think you need to get a little statue of your your mask made to put on your bookshelf at home, to be to be very proud of.
Speaker 2: Because I think if they really cared about me and my feelings, they would offer me the mask.
Speaker 1: They should. I was actually asking someone last year. I was like, do you get to keep the mask? How much you reckon the mask is worth? I feel like for me, I would buy. I feel like offering them some cash for it because I want to keep I wouldn't want anyone else to put it on, you know what.
Speaker 2: And if I could get it and I mounted it on the wall like people mount Deer.
Speaker 3: I could put that in my entrance, couldn't I.
Speaker 1: Before you go, something I ask everyone who joins the podcast is what something from behind the scenes, something that fans won't necessarily have seen but would love to know. And not really to give away anything from behind the scenes too much, but maybe like a funny story about your experience of taking this whole thing on.
Speaker 3: Wow, I think I've just given you about ten haven't I. Well, I can tell you that I had. I had to tell her, you know.
Speaker 2: So many lies to get me to rehearsals and to pull this all off. So I had foot surgery a couple of years ago, and the news director here was the only other person at the network other than Beverly McGarvey who knew. And I said to him, what are we going to say, like, I've got to take this time off to go and do these shows to fit in with.
Speaker 3: The production schedule.
Speaker 2: And I said, the only thing I can think I can say is that maybe the surgeon's got to work.
Speaker 3: On my foot again. I've got to go and have some more foot surgery. And he said okay. And so the crew today said to me, oh.
Speaker 4: We've worked out when you did this, you.
Speaker 2: Said you had foot surgery, and then you came back after that week and you limp. I said, I could only do it for twelve hours because I felt so bad.
Speaker 1: I was going to trust you again.
Speaker 3: I know. That's what Angela Bishop just said to me, And I went, well, do.
Speaker 2: You remember, I said, the surgeon's very happy with how I've recovered.
Speaker 3: I've done very well. So bad my to my friends, I.
Speaker 1: Thought you were going to say that, you said that you needed to go and get like a face leaf or something like. At least you went with something that's undercover. A limp or two is better than having to pretend that you know, you've had your face like in a drain pipe, you know.
Speaker 2: So that was the true story behind my lines and deception was that I pretended I needed.
Speaker 3: More foot surgery and they all bore it. But I don't think I'll get away with it again.
Speaker 1: It's and Sally. I have to say I've been in your audience as Australia has for so long. The pure joy of being able to what you take this on was magical and I thank you not only for talking to me today but also for reminding people to not take themselves too seriously and that we can do anything.
Speaker 2: Oh you're a sweetheart. I've really loved our chat. Thanks so much. I really really appreciate