Speaker 1: You are now entering the court of Judge Gina Leano.
Speaker 2: Weddings are a perfect storm for drama and fuse. If you have a disagreement that needs to be settled once and for.
Speaker 3: All, you come to my courtroom.
Speaker 2: I am Judge Gina, and my decision is final.
Speaker 3: You better be ready to hear my ruling.
Speaker 1: A wedding is a celebration of a couple's love in front of their nearest and dearest. But what if you find out you're not near or dear, but rather distant and uninvited. Osha Ginsburg has brought Mattie J before Judge Gina, claiming compensation for a wedding day snub.
Speaker 4: My name is Osha Ginsburg, and you know me as the man who's the reason that Maddy J has love and children. So like, Sometimes camp flowers in a very whispery voice, and sometimes I scream take it off to a giant anthropomorphic popcorn machine.
Speaker 5: My name is Matti J. Most people would know me from The Bachelor, also social media.
Speaker 4: Probably I've known Mady J since oh goodness, I'd say twenty sixteen. We were quite close working together on various forms of television.
Speaker 5: I first met on the set of The Bachelorette. We then became closer during the filming of The Bachelor, which was the following year.
Speaker 4: I want Judge Gena because I want justice. This is an ongoing problem in my career. I have been denied recognition for my work in providing the launching pad for careers, for wise for kids, for husbands. Just hey, thanks, No, I want way more than that. I want justice.
Speaker 5: I've been summoned today with Judge Gina because I've had some horrific allegations made against me by Usher. I'm here to defend myself but also to countersuit. Court is now in session.
Speaker 1: Please rise for Judge China.
Speaker 3: Mattie j.
Speaker 2: You are here today because you did not invite Osher to your wedding.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 5: That's correct? Yes?
Speaker 3: When were you married?
Speaker 5: November of last year, Dark Day.
Speaker 3: And you married your love of your.
Speaker 2: Life, no doubt, Laura, correct, Yes, And you met Laura on The Bachelor in twenty seventeen, where Asher was actually the host of that show, The Bachelor, so technically he introduced you to the love of your life and you were married last year. And I understand Asher that you're quite disappointed that Mattie failed to invite you to his wedding?
Speaker 3: Is that right? Is that your claim.
Speaker 4: Today disappointments a small word for it. The buck eventually has this top at some point you have to I mean, did I get invited to Tim and Anna's wedding? No? Get invited to Sam and Snaz's wedding? No? Did I get invited to Georgie? No? Did I get invited to Locke's No? Somewhere I've got to stand up for myself.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this one has obviously impacted a little bit more hurtful.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard this much since Matt Corby forgot that he was ever on Australian Night. There you go and a couple of tattoos. Get a felt that all right?
Speaker 2: So let's just stick with what's happening so that we can so that I can just get my head around what it is that you're wanting. So you're wanting me to agree with you today that in actual fact, you should have been invited to the wedding, And how would you like me to compensate you for that?
Speaker 4: I think a significant act of contrition that would show meaningfully show that it was a mistake and both Maddie and Laura by association are sorry? Is that a professional not some sort of you know, dodgy, I've got an app on my phone, but a professional retoucher insert me into their wedding photos as if I was there on the day. Extra points if there's some sort of deep fake version of me in a bit of video.
Speaker 2: So you want to be sorry, Mattie Jay, I'll get to you. So you want to be inserted into Maddie J and Laura's wedding video and photos?
Speaker 4: Is that not just that I want significant not just cursory, significant exposure on their social channel sees with a public apology.
Speaker 2: And is that so the public apology would come, and the compensation is that they've inserted you, and they would make that public. They would let people know that this is their way of compensating you, by order of Judge Gina, that you've now been inserted into their videos, so their memories are filled with not your absence, but with your presence. All right now, Maddie.
Speaker 5: J, can I just ask one quick question?
Speaker 2: No, we're not asking No, we're not asking questions. I'm going to ask you some questions first of all, and then going to unpack this. So you've obviously not invited.
Speaker 3: To your wedding.
Speaker 2: What's your reason for not inviting him? Obviously you're liberty to invite or not invite people.
Speaker 3: Can you explain why you.
Speaker 2: Did not invite someone that you would consider a friend? And I understand that you have quite a lengthy relationship with Asher, which is you've ruled off a lot of other names whose weddings you haven't been invited to. But in your application you talk about the fact that you've spent a lot of time together. You've even had lunch with Maddie and his mom, just Maddie's mom, just with Maddie's mom.
Speaker 4: There you go, or in a foreign country.
Speaker 3: Maddie may not be happy about that. We'll get into that.
Speaker 4: She just read a prayer love It was in Bali.
Speaker 3: What's your reason for not inviting him?
Speaker 5: Well, look, Genia, this is quite an emotional story. So if I do express any emotion, if I start crying, I just want to apologies right now.
Speaker 4: In an adjection he's leading the judge.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if you need to apologize in advance.
Speaker 5: Go on. Well, the story dates back a number of years, actually before the Bachelor had commenced, and this is also part of the reason why I would like to counter suit for emotional damage.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll get to that in a moment, but I'd like to know what you say about not inviting and then I'll get to your counterclaim. But what do you say about not inviting Osher to your wedding?
Speaker 5: Well, the reason is Osher was the person responsible. He was involved in the public heartbreak of myself on a show prior to the Bachelor one year before The Bachelor, called The Bachelorette. He was very complicit in that heartbreak and at no point at all did he try to help me in that situation. And I guess from that I felt the foundation of our friendship is one that has been built on harassment, shame, all stemming from involvement on the show.
Speaker 2: Isn't that what you're signing up for when you sign up for reality TV? I remember in Housewives, I signed a contract that said I agreed to be embarrassed, humiliated, disparaged and brought into disrepute. Surely you had a condition not unlike that. So why is that OSHA's fault?
Speaker 5: Gin know we had very different contracts because I would never have signed up for a show that would have allowed those elements.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you didn't read your contract. I think it's pretty standard in reality TV. And why is Itsh's fault?
Speaker 5: Well, as the host, he is the puppet master of the show.
Speaker 2: So you felt that you were hurt in the twenty sixteen episode where you've appeared as one of the bachelors on the Bachelorette Show?
Speaker 3: Is that right? And that was with Georgie Love? Is that right? Back in two thousand and sixty?
Speaker 2: And what do you say happened that that caused you to have have this grief from Usher?
Speaker 3: What did he do?
Speaker 5: He was an enabler of this heartbreak to happen. He was one of the core figures.
Speaker 2: What was the heartbreak? You weren't chosen, that's correct, I was runner up. Okay, So how is that Usher's fault?
Speaker 5: Well, I just think the fact that as the host of the show, he is the person that enabled this to happen and allowed it to happen.
Speaker 4: I'm really so honestly, I'm going to deject here your honor. Honestly, Maddie, I'm really really sorry that I broke into your house unlocked your laptop with your past code, unlocked your email with that pass code, and then wrote and filled out the Bachelorette application form and sent it and then snuck out like I'm so sorry. If you see someone, I want you to get onto a plane and then come to sit. If you see soon drowning, I've pushed you.
Speaker 5: Do you give them a hand and pull them out of the water or do you allow them to sink to the bottom and die? What do you do?
Speaker 4: I narrate it? Have you not seen BONDI rescue?
Speaker 2: I just want to ask you, osher what do you say about what Maddie Jay's saying. Do you agree that you fail you let him drown or however he's described.
Speaker 4: I completely like if it pleases the court, I'd like to bring brand new evidence to light, and that is that Maddie is completely forgetting. The moment where he made his way down from the rooftop, there was a long corridor with which he walked out of the evening. The person who was looking after him is full time producer. They were walking past the door. I was by that point, I've been out of my suit, I was in my citvies. I said, I'm sorry, man, this was behind the scenes and we were hugged and we even did that. It's going to be okay in front of twenty thirty people. I'm happy to provide witnesses.
Speaker 5: So it was all for show, was it? Is that what you're trying to say? It was performative.
Speaker 3: So, Maddie Jay, do you agree that you were comforted by Osher?
Speaker 2: I don't recall, Okay, So that means you can't object to what he's saying, So I'll accept his evidence. So you comforted him, So so tell me what else, Maddi Jay, apart from what you don't recall, what else do you say is happening that has caused you emotional harm?
Speaker 5: Well? I guess following the Bachelorette, we did have another relationship off the back of the Bachelor where he then Osher introduced me to my wife, which I appreciate, no questions about that. However, Osha was the first person to get married. Is it two thousand and sixteen? I believe that you married your wife Audrey.
Speaker 4: At the end of twenty sixteen?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay? Can I ask Osher a question? Was I invited to that wedding?
Speaker 4: Were you invited to my wedding?
Speaker 2: I know, Sorry, I'm going to stop. That's not how it's going to work here today. You guys need to talk to me. You know the answer, so it's not a question. You can say to me, I was not invited to OSHA's wedding, because you know that already. You don't need to ask him that question. So you can say to me, your honor, I was not invited to that wedding, And I will say, is that right? He was not invited to the wedding? And I will then say to you, Maddie Jay, Well, you only met Osher that year.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Because you recorded that show in twenty sixteen, so it may have even occurred prior to that meeting.
Speaker 5: That's correct, Yes, Okay, So.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't find it unusual that someone wouldn't invite a new friend, new acquaintance to a wedding when they don't have much of a history. However, when you married, you had quite a history there. You had befriended Osher, Is that right? You'd befriended him, You had worked with him on two shows.
Speaker 4: I don't share my number with every guy that's a bachelor. Okay, aha, So.
Speaker 3: You had worked with him on two shows. You'd work with him.
Speaker 2: On the bachelo Esh and The Bachelor where you met your wife.
Speaker 4: And mother of his children.
Speaker 3: To me, it's tit for tat, Oh, it was tit for tat.
Speaker 5: Well, he didn't invite me.
Speaker 2: So what I will ask you then, is there when Asher was married according to your recollection, did you have a history with him?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 3: Yes, what was your history with him? At Osher's wedding?
Speaker 5: It was the season of the Bachelorette, and so.
Speaker 2: You weren't best of friends at that stage. I'm guessing because Maddie Jay, you're telling me that you actually had emotional damage at the conclusion of that show.
Speaker 3: So why would Osher invite you to his wedding?
Speaker 5: Well, to me, the fact that I wasn't invited, it just further highlighted the fact that Osher didn't care about me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, he probably didn't. That's a tough pill to swallow. It's probably the truth. But then your relationships evolved.
Speaker 2: Well he can be because your relationship evolved because whilst you were swallowing that tough pill, you also got a gig as the bachelor on the next season, and Osher made good. He introduced you to your wife, who is now you now married too with two children. Was anybody else from the show or anyone else from that season where you've met your wife invited to your wedding?
Speaker 5: They were, However, they didn't have any wedding justification.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: Two two and what were their roles in that show?
Speaker 5: One was a makeup artist and one was a production assistant.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, Jena, can you ask can you clarify whose makeup artist this person was?
Speaker 3: Well? That is that relevant? Whose makeup artist?
Speaker 5: I don't see any relevance in that question.
Speaker 4: I think I'm asking you.
Speaker 2: I'd like to know. I think that is relevant. Whose makeup artist was it? It was OSHA's makeup artist.
Speaker 5: Correct, it's makeup artist.
Speaker 3: Makeup artist.
Speaker 2: So I think that you were actually trying to have a dig at him and trying to cause some emotional damage there. Osher, I'm going to ask you this question. Did you want to go to his wedding or is this just sport? Were you seriously disappointed in not being invited? Because when my friends go to the snow or you know, do something that I'm not interested in, I have zero care factor?
Speaker 3: Did you care?
Speaker 4: I was not upset that I wasn't invited to the wedding of Maddie and Laura, because by that point I've done a lot of work and I have built some very healthy emotional boundaries and what people and don't choose to do is fine by me. It's okay they can do that if they do.
Speaker 2: I want to know today the situation. Were you upset at the time. I want to know your from your memory today.
Speaker 4: For about the space of a breath, I felt it. I felt the pang. And then as the photos followed me by some horrific meta pixel all around the internet and you were absent, I wasn't in them, and as my mates who were there texted me how great it was. I was able to work on that emotional resilience that I had built up.
Speaker 3: And did you how did you work on that? Did you have counseling?
Speaker 4: I made lemons out of lemonade and I used every one of those. I treated it like a dead lift. I'm like, I'm strengthening my prosterior train.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it was a bit stiff. It wasn't a nice thing for friend to do. But I want to ask you, so when you actually say that you had lunch with Maddie's mom, yes, tell me about that was that before the wedding or after. I want to know where the friendship was at.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is before the wedding, and this is right after Maddie and Laura. I traveled to another foreign country to help him find life. So twice I've flashed my passport to help this man.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I want to stick with what's happened here, but I might come back to that in a moment.
Speaker 4: So I was in a small island off the bottom of the Indonesian archipelago Bali. I think his house pronounced, and my wife and I were there at the time, and I spotted Maddie's mom and oh, they spotted them on breakfast.
Speaker 2: So you had a nice lunch together. It was delightful, lovely an meet up, it was. It sounds like that to me as well.
Speaker 4: But I would tell that to my son as well, so he didn't feel jealous.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So the friendship was such that you were comfortable enough that you knew Mattie Jay's mum and you could have lunch with it.
Speaker 4: This is a level of intimacy that I have with the families of the people that make it to the end of these shows. I actually care about their hearts. Gina, All right, you've had an experience in reality television. I actually give a shit.
Speaker 3: And this was before the wedding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before his wedding.
Speaker 3: So you actually were friends for five years? Is that right?
Speaker 4: Five long and five long years? Quiet heartbreaking years?
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, so you felt that you were part of the family almost.
Speaker 4: We're all from Brisbane, were from the same part of Brisbane.
Speaker 2: So in that five years after the bachelotte, did you catch up? Did you socialize together as much as you could?
Speaker 5: The interaction would would have been minimal. I believe in twenty twenty two, Gina, the only interaction that osher had was a brief meeting, which would have taken place around the sixteenth of May. Osha and I we did do a social media video together and that was purely a transactional interaction. It was just it was purely business.
Speaker 4: Oh really, if it's business, how much did I get paid?
Speaker 5: You didn't get paid in terms of a monetary value. What you received is the end product of a video.
Speaker 4: We shot it in a supermarket. Can I go to that supermarket and go, I've got the end product of this video to pay for my groceries?
Speaker 5: It talks is that video sitting.
Speaker 2: On commissioned that Who commissioned that video, Who was the instigator of that video?
Speaker 3: What was the purpose of it?
Speaker 5: I was it was just a comedic skit that sat on our social.
Speaker 2: Media, right, And so when you say our social media, yours and ashes.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's a collaboration. So it currently sits on my page as well as Osher's page as well.
Speaker 2: So what else do you do together? Apart from one skit together?
Speaker 3: In May? Do you do a podcast together?
Speaker 4: Do you?
Speaker 5: That was it? I appeared on dad pod?
Speaker 4: You did?
Speaker 5: Are they the year prior?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: And so in my eyes, Gina, if I can just say one quick point for a second, because I believe Osher has had more than adequate time on the microphone putting his points across in my eyes, given the fact that I wasn't in added to his wedding and in the two years prior to my wedding taken place, the only interaction that Osher and I had was a being on dad pod and second to that was doing one social media interaction. I tried to reach out in other situations and unfortunately a meetup never occurred outside of those two occasions.
Speaker 3: But were you You're in Sydney.
Speaker 4: We live two hundred and fifty two meters from each other.
Speaker 5: Right, seven hundred it's seven hundred.
Speaker 2: Okay, but all the more to the point, you lived seven hundred meters apart.
Speaker 3: That's just coincidence.
Speaker 2: You didn't decide to become neighbors deliberately because you were best of friends. This has come about by coincidence.
Speaker 5: I would say, now, I moved. I moved house because I wanted to build on the friendship that we had. I went, I was trying, did you move friendship a chance? And yet all I could do.
Speaker 3: And I believe that when did you move.
Speaker 5: Would have been January two thousand and twenty two.
Speaker 3: And when did you get married?
Speaker 5: November of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: And so you say that even moving house for that ten month period of time, that it didn't cultivate the friendship beyond where it had been earlier.
Speaker 5: Gina, I tried. I was the one who instigated this video, the social media video taking place.
Speaker 2: Can I say, just very respectfully, yes, Osha has a much bit high profile than what you do. And Osha would assist you, I'm trying to find a gener way of putting this.
Speaker 3: You would get more out of Osha.
Speaker 2: Being in your video than Osher would get out of you being in his video.
Speaker 3: You'd have to agree with that.
Speaker 5: Well, I would question that in terms of social media, I actually have a greater following.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I mean you might have on social media. I don't know how active Osher is on social media.
Speaker 4: I ain't paying the bills doing it. Maddie works real hard.
Speaker 2: What you've told me is that you've tried to work on the relationship, the friendship. It's by invitation that you've had contact. But however, you've also told me that it's tip for tat.
Speaker 3: So I think that you're just a little bit of a jilted friend.
Speaker 2: You know, PEPs is a little bit of an unrequired love in the friendship, and that there may be some payback here.
Speaker 3: Would that be fair to say no?
Speaker 5: Because no, Genny, you mentioned earlier that it was a tough pill to swallow, and I swallowed that pill. It was lodged in my throat. I got it down my esophagus. And then following that, I thought, you know what, I'm not going to be a jilted friend. I'm going to do everything in my power. I'm It wasn't the sole reason why I moved to the suburb, but the fact that I knew Asher was down the road that was a contributing factor. And asked myself and my wife and my children getting a rental lease on this property. And I thought, I'm just going to give every chance, every opportunity, every fiber of my body. I'm going to allow okay to put everything in the past with Asher.
Speaker 2: But yet you didn't invite him to your wedding, so that I'm not quite buying that.
Speaker 5: Off the back of the interaction in May when Osher and I did that video. In my eyes, he didn't respect in a way that showed me that he wanted to build a friendship.
Speaker 2: How did you want him to respond? How were you expecting him to respond? I think you've actually it's a bit of payback that you haven't invited him. I think it's a little bit vexatious. I think that you you wanted this friendship, it didn't quite yield what you expected. You've even moved your family into a situation and moved house. You're chasing the friendship.
Speaker 5: I'm chasing the friendship. I want it. I wanted Gina.
Speaker 2: That's but the sting at the end was to not invite him to the wedding, and I think that that was a little bit unfair and quite hurtful for Osha and Asher. What you would like is that you'd like to have your head effectively inserted into.
Speaker 4: Photos. And he did a really good shred for the wedding. So give me a good rig. Yeah, give me a good rig. Put my head on someone who's got a proper rig.
Speaker 3: Oh, I say you'd like to be superimposed.
Speaker 5: Like the Men's health photo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, And then where do you want that photo? Do you'd like it to be launched across social media?
Speaker 4: Would you look like one of their low value kind of channels. I'll be happy with.
Speaker 2: And Maddie J, your Countess application is that you want Osher to hand deliver roses and chocolates to Laura while she's live on air hosting the three pm pickup?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Call me crazy, but that's what would fix the damage caused by Usher.
Speaker 3: I suppose this is your way of asking Osha to apologize. Is that right?
Speaker 5: Correct? Yes?
Speaker 3: And I'm going to take a moment to deliberate. I'll be back shortly.
Speaker 1: Judge Gina is deliberating and will soon hand down her verdict. Please do not leave the courtroom.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I've had a moment to consider both you cases, and I've made a decision.
Speaker 3: Osher.
Speaker 2: You've asked that you have yourself inserted into Maddie Jane Laura's wedding video and photos.
Speaker 4: I'll just take photos.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to make an order that, in actual fact, that you are inserted into Mattie j and Laura's wedding video and photos, and that Mattie J posts that online.
Speaker 3: That's my first decision.
Speaker 2: I'm also going to grant what Maddie's asked for, and that is that he would like Osher to hand deliver roses and chocolates to Laura Burn while she's live on air hosting the three pm pickup, and that that is also to be recorded and posted online.
Speaker 4: You know what, Judge Gina, that would actually be my pleasure. She's a delight.
Speaker 5: You're so full of.
Speaker 2: Shit, But I would like for you both to post these things online and make that part of the compensation that you've both been seeking today, and let it be known that this is the retribution for Maddie j failing to invite Osher to your wedding and Osher retribution for failing to step up to the mark as a true friend to Mattie J whilst you were in production of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette.
Speaker 5: I wanted to walk away with a victory, and I initially came into this conversation thinking if there's anything less than a victory, it'll be a failure. So whilst I didn't lose entirely, I should be happy with the result.
Speaker 4: If there's one thing that Gina's known for, she's harsh, but she's fair, and I felt today Gena was really really quite fair.
Speaker 5: Look, there were times in the conversation with Gina where I feel like OSHA's weight as a personality and a high profile name worked in his favor during this trial.
Speaker 4: Matt Look, he's younger, more talented, more handsome, so he had that going for him.
Speaker 5: I didn't expect Gina to be just so stern.
Speaker 4: I think she handled my very emotional, to be honest, emotionally manipulative opponent pretty well.
Speaker 5: I think Gina kept me on a pretty tight leash, like I always think that's probably the best way to handle me, because if she gives me an inch, I'll take a mile.
Speaker 4: I think any couple that's encountered a real kind of difficult moment, like I don't know, I see infidelity or betrayal. As long as they're honest with each other and accept the responsibilities they each have, they've got a chance that they're going to make it. And look, I think we can get over this little speed lump, you know.
Speaker 5: I look back, and I do want to apologize for Usha not being there. And if I ever get married again, which I hope that I don't, but if it does happen, I promise this is on record. Asher will be there at the ceremony.
Speaker 3: This has been an iHeart production.