Speaker 1: I think you need to realize when you're being yourself and you're in your power and you're in your uniqueness, like no one can touch you, there is no competition. Welcome back to the Rise and Conquer Podcast. I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson, former lawyer turned entrepreneur, social media personality and personal development junkie. This podcast is for my girl gang who want to feed their mind with positive and expansive thoughts to help them step into their power and live their most authentic life. We chat a variety of topics including mindset, business, relationships, health, and so much more. Basically, wherever you are on your journey, I want to help you feel inspired and empowered to rise up and conquer your next move. I know that's going to look different for everyone, but just no, I'm right here by your side and that you have the RNC community behind you.
Speaker 2: Let's do this.
Speaker 1: Hello and welcome back to the Rise and Conker Podcast. It is your host Georgie Stimson.
Speaker 2: And I've got a solo ap for you today.
Speaker 1: We are chatting about how to become an influencer. I know, controversial topic, but bear with me because when I say influencer, I'm not just talking about you know, the typical known example of an influencer who does her hair and makeup and films tutorials or stories and takes pictures and that's her day. No, I'm talking about an influencer, So someone who influences other people in a certain space, usually an online space. So this can be you know, using your social media to position yourself as an expert to influence people in your field, whether you're you know, a doctor, a physiotherapist, an artist, so so many kind of scenarios. I think, like this, influencer used to be a bit of a dirty word, but we need to take that stigma away because basically just what I see of an influencer is, yes, someone who positions themselves on the online space, they have a community, they are an expert in some sort of field, and yeah, they can position themselves and use that power to you know, leverage it for work or for money or to feel good and that sort of scenarios.
Speaker 2: And I truly believe.
Speaker 1: That, like you know, everyone can be an influencer in their own right. So this has really come to mine because I was kind of having chats with a girl in my DMS because when this podcast goes live. My collaboration collection with Pedal and Pup it's called the Bloom Collection, would have gone live the day before, so on yesterday, the Thursday, if you're listening to this on the Friday. And she kind of DMed me and she was like, you know, holy shit, Georgie, this is such a big deal. Congratulations. I would love some tips on you know, how you got started being an influencer and what you you know, recommend others to do. And it's funny because what I did is not necessarily what I would recommend you do now, but I do have some great ideas of you know, becoming an influencer now. So I'll get into that. Firstly, I do want to just say a big thank you for the love and support on my Pedal and Pop collection. So a little backstory is it's it's kind of weird because when I got pregnant, I kind of thought, all right, Georgie is slowing down, you know, less you know, sponsorships, less work, easing into it and then getting into this like situation of being a mother and having my baby put first and all those sorts of things, which is so true. But something I didn't realize is you know, transitioning into a new period of your life can be so much a beautiful thing because it comes with a whole bunch of new opportunities, new challenges, new lessons. And yeah, so I kind of found myself thinking that it's like i'd slow down and not no one would want to work with me. But yeah, and then I have worked with the Pedal and Pup for a while now, and they're kind of they're like an online clothing boutique, And.
Speaker 2: How do I explain this?
Speaker 1: So you guys would have seen I used to do like a lot of halls with like Princess Polly and those sorts of boutiques, which I feel like are a bit more younger, girl like, very kind of like trendy in fashion, very like I don't want to say festival, but yeah, just very on trend in fashion, younger sort of age. And then as I've kind of matured and gotten older and obviously now pregnant, worried that sort of situation, my style has definitely transformed. And I have noticed that at like Pedal and Pup, which is a bit more mature, it's a bit more seasonal, where you know, you can buy a peace from them, and it's not going to be out of fashion in a couple of months, and it's something you'll you know, keep and constantly wear.
Speaker 2: And they have beautiful like neutral tones.
Speaker 1: And both hostyles, and I just found that I kind of grew into more of that style.
Speaker 2: Basically I'm getting older.
Speaker 1: So I've been working with them for a while, which has been great. And yeah, so out of the blue they approached me and they said, you know, we know you're pregnant. We love seeing because I was doing a lot of bump fashion on Instagram, not that I even had a.
Speaker 2: Like bump back then.
Speaker 1: It's so funny when I look at old photos when I thought I had a bump, and now that I'm like thirty one weeks pregnant, I'm like, oh, Georgia, that was like a small bloat. But anyway, and yeah, so they said, we'd actually love to bring out a collection with you that is bump friendly. And I was a bit blown away because and I've probably said it a million times, I'm not a fashionistar. I do not consider myself like very trendy or very into that side of things. Like I know the style I like, and I know what I like to wear and how I like to feel, but I wouldn't say that's why people you know, follow me, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: And so I was a bit blown back.
Speaker 1: And I was like, like, that sounds amazing because I was finding it quite difficult to find styles that you know, would fit a growing bump. And then that wire also like me, and that were also I guess like in the maternity world, a lot of the styles can just be a bit like frumpy and not really me. So the collection is really, you know, it's very me. It's floral, it's vibrant, very clean and fresh. But it is definitely and that's a big thing, guys, Like, it's not a maternity line. It's a bump friendly line, so it's like for a normal gal, but I've picked styles that accommodate to the growing bump for also my pregnant gals. And obviously, like I said, I'm no fashion designer. So a lot of the pieces I had kind of worn before and liked before, and I was like, oh, I'd love something like this, but I wanted in this.
Speaker 2: Pattern and in this color.
Speaker 1: And then a couple of the dresses are very unique and just completely like what I've you know, made up in my head. But yeah, it's super surreal because I guess it was just like such a great reminder to me because I was like, oh, I'm coming a mum now, Like I'm you know, it's going to happen in business, but it was such a beautiful reminder that you know, as we transition, as we change, new opportunities exist, new things blossom. And yeah, it's just been a really surreal experience and I'm just so excited and like, we've just had the best response from you guys with a collection, and yeah, I'm just yeah, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, but emotional obviously maybe the pregnancy hormones. But I just cannot thank you enough because honestly, this community on here, on the pod, on my Instagram, you know, my YouTube and whatnot, you guys are the reason that I get to, you know, do stuff like this that completely lights me up and that I feel so passionate about and I just feel so grateful to have you guys. But yeah, I'll put a link in the show notes if you want to check out my bloom collection. And I called it the Bloom Collection because obviously, you know, I am blossoming into a very new person. In this collection very you know, embodies that transition. And also it does include a lot of like florals and spring sort of inspiration. So I just thought that name was very cute. But yeah, I would put a link in the show notes. Otherwise, just head to pedal them pup and I should have like a collection tab on their website. And if you guys, do you know, purchase anything. Oh guys, I don't have a code for the collection just because it is very it's limited edition. You know, it's a one time thing, very limited quantities, so no code, But if you do purchase anything and wear it or whatnot, please tag me, please dm me. I just cannot wait to see you guys in it. It's yeah, it's gonna be very surreal, and I hope you love it as much as I do. But let's get into the episode. So I I've got three tips that I want you to start thinking about if you want to become an influencer. And like I said, this does not mean an influencer with million followers on Instagram or YouTube or whatnot. An influencer is really anyone who has influence in their space. So for example, you might be an artist, and like, becoming an influencer in your space is going to be so helpful for people to see your art, for people to support you, for you to find other people who are going, you know, through a similar thing in life, or you know, maybe what I love seeing right now is like really unconventional influencers. So like a big thing is like I follow a lot of like doctors, So like I follow this one woman. She's amazing, and she talks a lot about you know, hormones and birthing, and obviously she is a female doctor, but she does like fun tiktoks and she gives you the information in quite a unique way, and she's awesome, and she's positioned herself like she's a doctor and she's positioned herself in the online space, and obviously she can leverage that to get patients, you know, to do speaking opportunities, whatever she wants. But yeah, I don't want you to just think influencer is just you know, a girl who's doing her hair and makeup on YouTube.
Speaker 2: That's not what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: And I truly believe, even like I've heard a couple of really great stories of people who will use their platform to create in you know, whatever they're doing, and then get really amazing jobs because they have created this community or you know, positioned themselves as an expert online. And also, guys, just another thing too, is like, don't get caught up on the numbers on the number of followers too, because honestly, like if you think about it, if you have one thousand followers on Instagram, imagine a thousand people in a room, like that's a lot of people. And I feel like people like, oh, you know, you're not an influencer until you have like one hundred k or whatnot, And I just I don't believe that. And that's actually something like with Naked Harvest is we actually predominantly focus on micro influencers. We don't do a lot of macro influencers.
Speaker 2: Because honestly, they don't convert.
Speaker 1: And I'll kind of get this get to that in the first point. But for example, if there's someone on Instagram who has five thousand engage followers in a certain niche so very like specific let's say it's health and fitness for the sake of Naked Harvest example, So if someone's got five thousand engage followers in fitness and health is so much more valuable to us than in influencer who has fifty thousand followers, who you know, maybe they do a bit of fitness and health, but they're also doing like bikinis and fashion and makeup and you know, sitting on the beach and traveling and all those different things.
Speaker 2: And that's like in.
Speaker 1: NH, like I can tell you we pay influencers who have under ten k followers, which is like when I I didn't with my personal account. I didn't get paid for anything until I was probably like fifty thousand to one hundred thousand followers, and I was like five years in. I didn't get paid for anything. And it was more because like I don't know, it really just wasn't a thing back then and I just never expected it. But honestly, now like brands will pay for micro people who are niche, who have.
Speaker 2: An engage audience.
Speaker 1: Do not get hung up on the numbers or yeah, that whole thing that you need a lot of followers, that is an illusion. Have a breath. She's had a breath a lot with the pregnancy, all right.
Speaker 2: So the first hip is you.
Speaker 1: Need to find your niche. You need to provide value in a specific area and get super clear on what that is and why people follow you for that specific thing. Now, the reason why this is so important at the start is because social media now is quite saturated. You know, everyone's seen the lifestyle of influencers who get paid to do hair and makeup and you know, that sort of thing which honestly go them, but and so everyone is trying to do it, and so it is a bit more saturated, and you do, I truly believe.
Speaker 2: You need to niche.
Speaker 1: You need to get specific, especially at the start. It's a bit of a different story once you're established, but at the start, you need to know when someone comes to your Instagram, why would they press that follow button.
Speaker 2: It needs to be clear.
Speaker 1: And when I think about, like some of my favorite people on Instagram right now is like I follow this guy who.
Speaker 2: He just does.
Speaker 1: Like recipes, but they're very easy, six steps, minimal ingredients, minimal waste recipes, which is my style, all under twenty minutes, and that's all he does. That's you know, the only thing he does. Like I said, I feel that doctor who is about women's health and you know about birthing and whatnot, which is very you know niche to my situation. Now, I might follow someone else who does you know fashion, but it's very kind of like a specific style. Now this is important because, like I said, it is so saturated.
Speaker 2: There's a lot happening.
Speaker 1: And if you can take away the confusion and you can just get them to press follow because they know what content they're receiving for you, why they follow you? And you only have a couple of seconds between someone going oh will they follow? Will they not follow? R? And C. Fam Are you currently trying to grow your hair, get glowing skin and nails, or help your gut health? Well, look no further because Naked Harvest's collagen powder is here to change it all. Did you know that age twenty, our body starts producing as much collagen itself and then that amount decreases every single year. So this is important to know because our skin, which is our biggest organ is made up of seventy five percent collagen and guy's collagen is just a protein. So it does make sense why we start seeing signs of aging around this time. And this is why we called our collagen the beauty alixa because it really is a beauty supplement that is going to help you glow from the inside out. So even though this supplement has amazing esthetic results, you've probably seen my before and after hair photos and my nail snaps on my stories. But more than that, collagen is such an important building block to so many parts of our body. So not only is your skin going to glow, your hair and nails grow, but it's also going to help with your gut health and we all know how important that is. So there's two options with the Naked Harvest Collagen alixa. There is a pure option, which I love to add to smoothies and my coffees, or a pine coconut option which is so fresh and so delicious. I love having that at morning tea or in the afternoon. So iron C Fam glow from the inside out with Naked Harvest's Beauty Collagen Alixa today and feel free to use the ron C FAM's code, which is Rice and Concher podcasts all spelled out and you can get a sneaky saving at checkout. Okay, now let's get back into today's episode. And so if you can get really clear on why someone would follow you, and you know, make that you know, put it in your bio in your first posts, not sorry, in your first post, but in all your posts. When they look at your little square like, they should kind of know what they're getting in for if it's confusing and you've got like one square room when you're at the beach, and then you've maybe got to work out, and then maybe you've got a fashion hall and then this and that, they're like going to be a bit confused now, just because I know this is going to be confusing because you're probably thinking, Georgie, what are you talking about? You're the one who does you know all the things? Okay, So why I'm saying at the start is because and this is like I feel like this is just.
Speaker 2: A human thing.
Speaker 1: Once you do have quite a few followers, like you're getting up there over the hundreds, and you are doing a lot of different things, you will generally find you do get followers easier because of, you know, having that situation where people look at your page they see you have over one hundred thousand followers, and they go, oh, well, obviously other people like this person, I'm going to follow them too, if that makes sense. Now. I the way I did things was a little bit different. I was definitely very focused on fitness and health in the start, but also I would call myself a lifestyle influencer. So, like you know, I'm on this podcast, it's self development. I'm talking about a new fashion collection I'm doing. I have an all natural supplement company. I'm into fitness and health. I'm currently pregnant. I talk a lot about my relationship with Tim. I do that, but it's because I've already done the long run. I've already done the niche stuff. I've been on here for like seven plus years, and to be completely like jarring with you, I don't need to niche because I have already you know, quote unquote proved myself and got that what it's what is that called.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 1: You know, social validation or social conditioning or whatnot on my page because I have, you know, I think I've just passed four hundred thousand followers, so people generally know, Okay, this girl's you know, doing something that people like.
Speaker 2: And so I've got that.
Speaker 1: Whereas if you're starting out, being very specific with what you offer and people knowing straight away is so important and will honestly make such a difference.
Speaker 2: And when I think of you know.
Speaker 1: New followers and new accounts I follow, they are very specific, They are very niched. First tip, find your niche. Find what you know you're going to provide to your audience. Get very specific on what your you know, person who follow you, what they like, what they want to see see, and go specific. Go down that rabbit hole once you do get to a point where you have kind of established yourself in you know, whatever area you can expand that is definitely like the beauty of it. But yeah, my advice would be t niche verse. Okay, So second one second tip I think, like a huge thing I'm seeing right now is you know, you see these stories of young teenagers.
Speaker 2: Like who's that big TikTok.
Speaker 1: Star Amelio someone someone Amelio anyway, you know, like for example, there's these two girls on TikTok who they're very young, and they went viral overnight and have these platforms completely you know, change their lives and whatnot.
Speaker 2: That yes, that.
Speaker 1: Can happen, but that's like so rare, so rare, and I think you need to realize, like if you want to do this as a job or as a legit thing, you need to be in it for the long haul. You need to realize that you might be providing or you will be providing a lot of free value, spending a lot of time doing content and not having much reward for a while. So this very much leads into I guess my story around it. But like I said, like I was kind of on Instagram and providing a lot of free value for like a good four to five years before I could monetize or work with brands or whatnot. I had to really like establish myself and really, you know, like it would be back in the day when I was working law and so I would be studying, I'd be working, and then on the weekend, like I'd you know, go out and take photos of my food and create workouts and whatnot.
Speaker 2: And it's not like I'm.
Speaker 1: Getting paid by a brand or anything. Like I just really enjoyed doing it. I really enjoyed my community, community, my community, and so and I guess also back then, like it wasn't usual to monetize your platform, So it's like I didn't really.
Speaker 2: Carry the way. But I think now, because.
Speaker 1: You do see these people go viral, it like with everything, it looks like, you know, these things happen super quick. But I personally believe like if you do want to create a true community, like you've got to be willing to put in the extra work and the time and give out a lot of free value, like I think a huge thing. I was actually having a chat with someone in my DMS and she was having a go at me because she's like, all you do is like, you know, sponsored posts or you know, something like that, very typical thing from a follower. Not typical thing, so a very kind of like typical thing when you're talking about an influencer. And I kind of had to explain to her and I was like, look, when I wasn't doing a lot of sponsored things, I was also working full time, and you wouldn't have had half the free content, Like there was no podcast, There was no you know that sort of value because I did not have the time capacity because my time was spent doing my job where I got paid. Now I get paid from brands, which you know, you see, but also that means that you get a lot of free value content like this like this podcast. And you guys would hear ads on this podcast, but I guarantee you a lot of you wouldn't mind because this is completely free I'm spending my time doing this, I've got to pay my podcast manager, you know, like, and you're like, amazing, I listen to this ad and I get this free content, and so it's kind of like I've got to a place where I, you know, could quit my job.
Speaker 2: And even though.
Speaker 1: Obviously my main income is Naked Harvest and I get a wage from that, but also like sponsored brands and whatnot, that's the reason why I can create a lot of free value to you. But that is like, that's kind of the thing you need to realize is at the start, it's not like just this quick thing where brands will just like want to pay you and whatnot, even though that is happening a lot for micro influencers. But in saying that, a lot of the great micro influencers that I follow, they do so much free content that is such like a free value that you don't mind when they have a sponsored post because you're like, oh, well, you know, they've got to pay the bills somehow. And it's also a beautiful energy exchange too, And it's about following people who you believe that you know they would only take sponsorships with brands that align and that they really use and all that sort of stuff. So guys, second tip is ready to be in it for the long haul. Wow, ready to be in it for the long haul and ready to provide a lot of free value. And also, guys, that's something with content, like, don't just focus on content that just will go viral. Make sure you're also doing content that provides value to your community, because that is when you're going to have an engaged community, which I just think is so much more valuable than just having.
Speaker 2: A lot of followers.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, So third and final tip, in true Georgie fashion, it's about your energy.
Speaker 2: Sorry, guys.
Speaker 1: You know my favorite quote, no one is you and that is your power. So a huge thing I see on the Gram and TikTok and whatnot is people just like a lot of the same shit, Like a lot of people just copying other people, and especially with like you know, TikTok and reels being a thing, and you kind of just see a lot of the same stuff, which, don't get me wrong, I also you know, do a lot of you know, viral reels and that sort of situation. But like someone asked me the other day, like, why do you think people follow you on Instagram and it was it was for like a press piece for a magazine article or something, and it like I sat there and like I was thinking about it for a while, And honestly, it's because I'm me, Like I'm Georgie and like no one is me, and that is why people would follow me, because I'm unique in myself.
Speaker 2: I'm very authentic. What you see is.
Speaker 1: What you get, What you hear is what you get, Like this is me, and I know that might be like and it's also it's like saying, well, there's no other me, Like people follow me because I'm me, and I feel like some people might think that's super like jarring and like, oh, she's so full of herself, but like I mean it in the way of like I follow people and I feel influenced by people who you can just tell they are being their authentic self. And that's like, you know this dude I follow on the Gram who does these recipes, Like he's just like so unique and you can tell he's just like so in his power doing his thing and he like loves cooking that It's like I enjoy the content because I feel that through the screen. And so that's A huge thing is you know, when you are trying to establish yourself in the space, like yes niche and yes, establish yourself as an expert or you know the reason why people would follow you, but make sure you're showcasing your uniqueness and you as a person and your energy, because that is a reason why someone would follow you, just the way you show up.
Speaker 2: And you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: There's just like there's certain people on Instagram who you know, they might just like do fashion halls or like maybe they're a comedian or whatnot, and it's like the actual content isn't that amazing or crazy or different, But because they are so themselves and they do it in this unique way and they have their little spin on things, you want to followed them. You don't want to follow the next you know, TikTok or real down of them doing the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: And you're just like, oh, not interested, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And so I think also talking about this whole thing of creating a community and creating Yeah, creating a community is so much more valuable than just having a lot of followers.
Speaker 2: There's a difference.
Speaker 1: There, and I think if you do want to create a community. Yeah, you have to be your authentic self. You have to realize that there's no competition if you're being yourself. That's another thing. Like in the DMS, this girl's kind of like, oh, but I just feel like she wanted to do something very specific.
Speaker 2: She was a bit spiritual and.
Speaker 1: She wanted to, you know, do crystals and have an.
Speaker 2: Instagram like that. And she's like, oh, but there's just like.
Speaker 1: So many out there, and I'm like, yeah, of course. But also if you think about it, there's so many influencers out there like me who do a wide variety of things. But I still, you know, have this community, I still gain followers.
Speaker 2: I'm still doing my thing.
Speaker 1: Like I think, you need to realize when you're being yourself and you're in your power and you're in your uniqueness, like no one can touch you. There is no competition. And you know, like I always say, no one is you.
Speaker 2: That is your power. Use your power.
Speaker 1: So make sure your content isn't just generic like everyone else like you think it should be. Make sure you keep your you know, spinning there, your authenticity and really be yourself because that is going to be a huge reason why you have influence over you know someone else or not having influence. So, guys, I hope you enjoyed this episode.
Speaker 2: Again, a big thank you.
Speaker 1: For the love and support on my bloom collection with Pedal and Pup. It's super surreal and yeah, I can't wait to see you guys in it. And I'm just so bloody grateful to have this community be able to do stuff like this. Yeah, I just yeah, I'm super grateful. Love you guys, and I will chat to you in my next episode.
Speaker 2: Bye for now.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening for another rn C episode. I really appreciate taking the time to be here with me, and also for taking the time for yourself. If you found this episode helpful, it would be so amazing if you shared it on your stories and tagged us, or simply just send it on to a girlfriend or family member who would benefit from listening. We are an independent podcast run by me and my amazing podcast manager, so it would mean the world to us if you left a review on the Apple podcast app. Also, if you're vibing this podcast and the concepts we're chatting about and your craving community, please come and join us over at the rn C podcast Community Facebook group. Just search rise and conquer podcas cast community on Facebook and I will be in there to chat to you until next time.