Speaker 1: Good day, Peter, Hell ay you here, Welcome to you Ain't seen Nothing yet?
Speaker 2: The movie podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classical but loved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. In today's guests, comedian Dave hughes.
Speaker 1: Would you give me a hat with the bags?
Speaker 3: You take the blind and I'll take the one in the table.
Speaker 4: Sir, the most evermost the coin to go ahead, make my day.
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 2: You ain't seen nothing, Dave Hughesy Hugh hughs is a genuine giant of the Australian comedy industry. A career spanning over twenty five years and counting, Hughsey has been a huge draw card live on stage on his multiple radio shows. He's just started Breakfast on Sidney's TODAYFM with Erin Mollan and Ed Caveley, and his own TV hit TV show Hughsey We Have a Problem. Hughsey was one of the first blokes I've met in comedy. He complimented me on my set after my fourth gig and knowing him like I do now sing a new comedian perform a nice tight five must have really pissed him off just a little But since that faithful night, Hughsey has been a great mate, a great supporter of mine. We've worked together on road of Live before the Game, done a bit of radio together, and of course we tag team on the project a few years ago. Hughsey has been a confidante, a man who's always looking how life can be better for himself and everyone around him, and I couldn't be happy to have him here with me today.
Speaker 5: That was one of the best intros I've ever had. I'm not just peeing in your pocket, Pete. I very much enjoyed that intro. Thank you, No, you do your bit now well, I mean, Peter, Well, I have to do the same for you do I's happened at every.
Speaker 1: Now. I am Dave.
Speaker 5: Hughesy Hughes, and my favorite three films are Crocodile, Dundee, that's a nice chopper, I don't want to go to bed and Zoolander.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I was reporting with this perfect porm structure.
Speaker 5: And the film I'd never seen before until last night was Pretty in Pink.
Speaker 2: Yes, nineteen eighty six could barely be more nineteen eighty six. In John Hughes's teen romance classic Pretty in pink Queen of the eighties at least eighties movie set in American high schools. Molly Ringwold plays Andy, a girl born on the wrong side of the tracks. To drive home the point we actually see the tracks, who lives in a modest dwelling with her father Jack, who's wife and his mum did a runner on him three years prior. Andy Nley has the burden of having the only job in the family and the usual pressures of high school, but it's also put on her to keep her dad out of his often bed ridden state of depression. The one constant in Andy's life is Ducky played by John Cryer, who dreams of one day sweeping his bff off her feet. So when the rich yuppies begin taking notice of Andy, namely Andrew McCarthy's Blaine and James Spader's death, Ducky's fan and and his life gets thrown into a tailspin. Kentucky make it out of the friend zone. He's a cool lady's soundtrack enough to hang all this together and well, and who will Andy have on her arm come prom night? A man who has no doubt spent some time in his younger years in the friend zone is dat.
Speaker 1: Mate.
Speaker 5: Not only have I been in the friend zone, I've been on the wrong side of the tracks. I've not had a date to the prime.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now, I've lived many aspects of the teenage lives of the characters in Pretty in Pink, and I've never seen the film.
Speaker 1: I was surprised. We actually a full confession.
Speaker 2: We actually had another movie ready to go, which was a more recent film two thousand and eight Oscar winner, The Shape of Water, but he has a technical issue, so it was a late change of plans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very difficult.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've got an Amazon Amazon Prime account, and I love the local content that they get out there. Netflix s take note. But I couldn't get My credit card had expired and I had to put a new credit card in.
Speaker 1: It just wasn't working.
Speaker 5: And it was like I was prepared to pay the five dollars rental for the Shape of Water, even though I vowed I'd never watched that film because the name of the film angry. I mean, water has no shape, and it's like it's like the color of sound or the sound of color.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not like the pretentious titles of films annoy me and can put me off.
Speaker 1: The one.
Speaker 2: Well, my friend here, he hates the title three Kings for the George Clooney movie because he knows there was four characters in there, because I think that the poster may have even had the four of them or something.
Speaker 1: And he goes, well, I know, I know one of them dies. What's the point of me seeing it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah right, it was his point.
Speaker 5: Well, I drove past a housing development the other day. Actually you won't. No, I didn't know, but it was the building. It was the it was called the Elwood five. And they are only advertising four.
Speaker 1: Five.
Speaker 5: There's only four here, one underground.
Speaker 1: Just make it clear.
Speaker 2: So so just quickly before we get up, because I want to circle back to your three films that you have nominated, your few favorites. But what do you this? Give us an impression of pretty impink? Did you look again?
Speaker 5: The title is probably probably what put me off ever watching that film, even though you know John Hughes was a director who.
Speaker 1: I think passed away recently. I think, is that right? Yes, he passed away a few years ago.
Speaker 2: And finally enough and I'll just pick you up on that because some people might be screaming at the device listening. He was actually directed by a guy called Howard Deutsch and not directed by John. John Hues wrote it. I always thought he directed this, and it was only until last night watching it that I realized that he didn't.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go again. I didn't obviously didn't pay enough attention.
Speaker 5: To the credits because I thought he directed it, and he directed the Breakfast Club Breakfast.
Speaker 1: Club sixteen candles one? Did he direct? Did you do first Bull? Yes? Yeah, fairest Bully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my favorite, one of my favoriteilms, Playing Strains and Hounobiles is great.
Speaker 1: Film is absolutely favorites. Yeah. No, he's very good. Well he was, and you know his movies will live on.
Speaker 2: They will thanks to podcasts and conversations like we're about to have, Hughsey. I'm looking forward to seeing what you thought of Andy and Ducky and Steph and Blaine. But let's go back. You've you've aussied up. Good for you you're a big supporter of local content. But take us through when you first do you remember you remember when you first saw Crocodile Dundee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look at the cinema in Warnable.
Speaker 5: It would have been so yeah, my hometown country Victoria, Southwest Victoria, beautiful town.
Speaker 1: Get down there if you've got the chance. Uh.
Speaker 5: And on the coast underrated. It's just after the end of the Greatest and Road. So keep going, keep driving or dismiss great oceanary completely and drives straight to Warnable from Melbourne.
Speaker 2: So now I was talking about crocodile. Yes, I'm not shot surprisingly Warnable. Yeah, no, I'll tell you what was was shot in odd Ball Jacobson very successful Australian film, Oddball and involving Marama dog that protects penguins at an island just off Warnable's coast, like literally a paddle away, like you can walk to the island being allowed to because it's shut off from humans now. But anyway, so to protect the penguins.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah, crocodile dundere you just that was just unbelievable, Paul Hogan.
Speaker 1: It hasn't hasn't been repeated. I hope it is repeated.
Speaker 5: I mean I hope either me or you at one point. And now before we leave this mortal coil right now, your film was great, don't get me wrong, Yes, amazing.
Speaker 1: It fell a little bit short of Crocodile Too, Master Smidge, at least you've done it, mate.
Speaker 2: A Smidge Too was a great film, second biggest film of that year and the biggest film of nineteen hour What was We spoke about it recently. It'll come back to me because Top Gun, Yeah, wow, just behind the top Gun, just just and just beak. Crocodile Dundee and Platoon was third.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, Crocodile Dundee was and I watched it and I've got my kids to watch it. Only recently made within the last six months, and it has stood the test of time. It hasn't dated like you know, political correctness wise either. It's it's it is a it's a beautiful.
Speaker 1: Film of Crocodile Dundee.
Speaker 5: And yeah, Paul Hogan I spoke to recently on the radio, is a very humble man, and yeah, he what he did with that film and you know, subsequent films, but that one especially was absolutely incredible and it's funny, great story.
Speaker 1: It was wonderful. I spoke Hoagues on the project recently too.
Speaker 2: It's funny talking to him because like like I think we you know a lot of comedies now quite open almost with their ambition because you know, like like you know, you just mentioned wouldn't it be great if you know film? And it's people like Paul Hogan who made us in a way dream that this could happen. But when you talk to him, it was all an accident, like and he almost didn't even want it really like it was you know, after a while.
Speaker 1: I don't really want to work anymore.
Speaker 2: You know, they get them dragging him back to do the Flipper, and but he was like, no, you know, I want to retire.
Speaker 1: I wanting to retire. Yeah, well, yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 5: I mean you care for what you wish for or careful something something in that, something in that. But yeah, well whatever he thinks of what happened subsequently, he can always and then not that you want to live in the past, and I'm sure he doesn't live in the past. But yeah, that film was an absolute He was a home run.
Speaker 1: We hit a six. I should say we could hit in a power play. I'm not sure power.
Speaker 5: Plays back then. They just hit a six. Did they even have one day cricket then they would have Yeah, of course they did.
Speaker 1: Did one day cricket start yeah, seventy nine? Yeah, and that would have been eighty six. It was going not long after that was One Day Cricket man.
Speaker 2: That was when One Day Cricket replayed and it was in your hometown's Melbourne. Had to wait up for the highlights at night and they would just play like an hour package of the highlights.
Speaker 1: Mate. I played the first two hours of the game and then you had to wait till later on. If you avoided the radio, you could watch with you exactly. That's right.
Speaker 5: I look growing up in a country town and I remember every year we'd have one trip to the One Day Cricket a year. That was a big trip to Melbourne, and I just remember just being so panicked about the fact that it could rain and the game might get rained out.
Speaker 1: It was real, like, you know, just praying to God, I did rain today.
Speaker 5: God, I don't care what else you do in the world, but don't let it rain in Melbourne today on this One Day Cricket.
Speaker 2: It was exciting and Crocodile had done dee. It was genuinely just so. I remember seeing it. I saw it a couple of times at Greensboro Twin, which was my cinema trust, and then I went to uh there was back and when the Montmorency there was the submarine weird Street.
Speaker 5: I have Christmas and Monmorenci this year, mate, Well you could have Christmas there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are recording this a few days after Christmas, but it'll be ye two. So yeah, you could have had Christmas and then gone down a weir street and wats a movie. That's where I saw Crocodile Dundee for the second time. But it was just so exciting and that had that movie explode like it didn't see Hoges present at the Academy Awards.
Speaker 5: Smash also Smashed at the Academy Awards, and look, get on YouTube if you haven't seen it and watch Hoages presented the Academy Awards of eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Eighty six. Yeah it came out six Yeah, well yeah, have a look at it.
Speaker 5: Absolutely slays the audience and doesn't change it doesn't change persona at all, just absolutely is himself on that world stage.
Speaker 1: And I love.
Speaker 4: It, yours.
Speaker 3: This is my first time at the Academy Awards. I usually watch it on television and for that reason I've been asked to come out here and speak to my peers on behalf of the television audience good eight peers. This is, of course the big event of show business, and the atmosphere here is pure electricity. But as a television show it does tend to go slightly off the boil, particularly as we drift into the.
Speaker 1: Third and fourth hour. What can we do about it?
Speaker 3: Firstly, winners, when you make your speech, it's a good tip to remember the three g's, be gracious, be grateful, get off. Secondly, don't be too humble tonight, because we have up here the second envelope. If I don't get up in the stage and say I don't deserve this award.
Speaker 1: If you really feel you.
Speaker 3: Don't deserve an Academy award, just give us away from your seat.
Speaker 1: And he's got a book and it covers a lot of this, a lot of this stuff, you know what. It's sitting on my bedside table and I haven't started reading it yet. Usually you read the book before you terrible.
Speaker 2: That's what I did, Different different strategies for different broadcasters.
Speaker 1: Is great.
Speaker 2: It's a great, great And he talks about a lot of the Academy wasn't like they wanted to rehearse, and he just didn't. He hated rehearsing, and the Americans are like going, I don't you know, how can you? And apparently there's one producer I think it's seen like Hindu Leo Wanker, And he goes.
Speaker 1: That's Leo Wanker. He doesn't have to rehearse check out crack.
Speaker 2: The one thing Paul Hogan mentions in the book that he kind of feared that would be, you know, a few people to try to maybe get the fiel, whether it's canceled or just complained about. It was a scene in the in the bar where he, uh, there's the drag queen. Yeah, he goes, and Hoax's point is that you know, this is a guy who's lived in the outback. Yeah, you know, and there's never been to us, doesn't even know what an escalator is.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, look, I mean watch watch old episodes of Friends, which my kids are addicted to us, and that you get canceled as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by Friends is a fair run not to my liking necessarily in my house.
Speaker 1: And there are some stuff which is not that bad.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, so yeah, very kind of canceled that before you cancel.
Speaker 2: A lot of like references to gay that not necessarily you know, the positive sense, but anyway, we're not here to cancel friends either. There's a pub around that we are. Castways Studios is in Collingwood. I spent some time living here in Collingwood. There's a pub called the Leinster Arms around the corner that I used to freaking quite a bit. A man who used to be also frequent there most nights was a guy called Chopper Read. And and Chopper Read we got chatting through him one night in the pub and and he he gave me a bag of well drugs and it was and he asked, you bought it?
Speaker 1: Didn't didn't ask it didn't didn't And don't you know you don't.
Speaker 2: I don't not a drug user, so uh, and it was like basically we but it seemed to be have other stuff in there, like laced with something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the sort of stuff that your father might have worn about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I I didn't know what else to do but take it and then and then I just put it in my my my my bedside table topped draw off. For five months. I basically can tell him besides my mate about it. And he's not it wasn't it wasn't And he's not the drug user. But He eventually said to my girlfriend whose name my wife, I said, it's funny thing that Chopper gave me this bay of drug and she goes, what did you do with us? It's in my beds table?
Speaker 1: She yes, why is there your bedside table? You could get a red rid of it, get rid of it. What are you doing? I said, at anytime I was memorabilia. Yes, I understand that absolutely, but he's no longer, no longer with us.
Speaker 2: And so for those who don't know, Chopper was a formidable, infamous underground figure here in Melbourne, the film Chopper starring Eric Banner was really like kind of a massive success, huge and huge for Eric Banner in particular.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, well that film Eric Banner. I used to do gigs with.
Speaker 5: Eric is a stand up comedian. Originally he was on TV. Are you doing sketch comedy? Very successful sketch comedy star in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: One of my first tastes of hanging out with fame was being in Eric Banner's car as I was going to support him at a gig in a in a a sub we called Yarraville and on the way out we got macas and I just remember going through the drive through and there and the person behind the you know, with the headset on freaked out that Eric Banner was was was ordering macas.
Speaker 1: And this is pre movie, Eric Banner, Yeah, this is a TV Eric still a big star. Yeah, yeah, yeah, so but yeah, I was, oh my god, for that.
Speaker 5: I want some of that, I want some of that. But yeah, so when Chopper was I was at the premiere. How did you go to the premiere?
Speaker 1: Was at the rival.
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 1: That's yeah. So, and I had no idea what to expect.
Speaker 5: I only known Eric as a you know, as a very funny stand up comedian and sketch comedy star. Didn't know he could do a serious movie. Didn't know that Chopper would work as a film. No one did he It seemed quite soon.
Speaker 2: Usually there's a bit of time, and this is chop is still alive during this only maybe died in the last ten years I think at the time. But so this was like a bit surprising. And and like you said, we didn't know Eric, Eric was capable of what he's what he's gone on.
Speaker 5: It could have been an absolutely, but we walked into that cinema thinking this could and I certainly did.
Speaker 1: This could be a shocker. We just didn't know I doing.
Speaker 2: I remember doing a joke on stage and like going, you know, when it was announced that Eric Band was gonna play Chopper and it's going. I think it's great. I think we should do more of it. I'm looking forward to seeing mart Mitchell as Martin Bryant, you know. And that's like, that's what that film's coming out.
Speaker 1: It's become it's becoming. Get it back at it.
Speaker 5: It wasn't Mark Mitchell, but the Bright Story is coming out.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: But I and that was a more ridiculous take than obviously obviously, yes, but that's the point.
Speaker 1: But it did seem there was a sense of this could be anything.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and I and you know, I like to talk myself up, and you know that I was the I was blown away by that film in that premiere and I'm going to swear on my family's life, I was. I made a bee line for Eric Banner as soon as the as soon as the lights went up, and I was the first person at that premiere to shake his hand and I looked him in the eye and I said, that was amazing. And I was proven right that film went on and is still you know his signature piece.
Speaker 1: You made Eric Banner. No, I didn't make Eric Banner.
Speaker 5: I recognized it straight I recognized it straight away. We know that Ridley Scott, the famous director, loved it. We know that Brad Pitt loved it. We know that that that film opened the door to Hollywood for Eric and rightly so, and it stands the test of time.
Speaker 1: Is absolutely cracking film.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and Andrew Dominic was a director and he went on and.
Speaker 1: Brad Pitt did the Assassination of Love.
Speaker 5: That is a brilliant fan and was not Brad.
Speaker 1: Who else was in that Brad Pitt and.
Speaker 5: Casey Aleck, Yes, he was great in his own right, but yeah, great that.
Speaker 1: He was brilliant.
Speaker 2: And he did the other one with Brad Pitt and James Gandervalini.
Speaker 1: Years later.
Speaker 2: That'll come to me, but it was awesome as well. He's a brilliant direcord. Also, Vince Colossimo was so good in that film as the Neville Bartis.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember I remember what no cash here? No cash here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, listen mate, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Cash?
Speaker 5: There's no cash here here?
Speaker 7: There's no cash?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 7: Cash? No Robbie, no cash.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you what you try getting from where you're sitting to the front door, because I reckon I could shoot you from where you're sitting to the front door, because that's about as long as you've got to produce some money for me right now. I'll give you twenty seconds to produce some cash. As fucking future.
Speaker 1: One two, I've got no cash, make for I told you this.
Speaker 2: You coming, We shut the fuck down eleven ff. I remember watching that film and being do you know when you feel like you're in safe hands? And for most first opening scenes at Pentridge, I just felt like because it had a different look, it almost had like a filter, like almost like a greener kind of filter over it, and it's like, well, this, this is this is going to be a really great film. I think, even maybe before I saw Dan Wild's in the early scenes as well, and I thought this.
Speaker 5: I was actually back at Pentrides the other day after the dry premier, the Dry premiere, so Eric back on stage.
Speaker 1: Great Australian story, very well done. Yeah. So the Drive, which I believe you know, is out and check that out as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: Zoolander, Yeah, Zulander just just just spot Onlander, Just Sulander two shocking.
Speaker 1: Do not see Zoolander two if you haven't seen it. It was terrible. He was missed the mart but one was perfect. I absolutely loved it. Watch it again. You know what I love.
Speaker 5: One of the great things of things about having kids is that you can introduce them to films that you loved. And my kids are watching films that I loved.
Speaker 1: Especially I love Chopper.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen Chopper yet, but they will, but they, especially my son who's eleven. I'm really introducing to him to all you know, certainly Will Ferrell's back catalog. Yeah, and we have just you know, laugh, you laugh all over again when you introduce some into a great film, you know, a funny film, and you get that joy again. So and Zuland is another one. I introduced the kids too, and yeah, he loved it.
Speaker 2: It sounds up really well and I'm not sure what went wrong with the sequel. We don't really even need to discuss it, but it's so funny and everyone at their prom because it was like Will Ferrell was. I don't think we really knew a lot bit about Will Ferrell. I think we knew of him night at the Roxbury, which funny and I'm not even sure if i'd seen it. By the time I saw Zoolander, I knew he, you know, was on Saturday Night Live and would do some impressions of you know, the presidents and and stuff, and and he wasn't one of the things I loved about it immediately, Like it took me in like a couple of a couple of viewings to kind of realize how brilliant mcgatu.
Speaker 1: Was. A Lante was too cold. It's just the whole David Bowie, you know, yeah, battle.
Speaker 5: Absolutely and yeah, just Billy zaying listen to your friend Billy's saying he's a cool guy.
Speaker 1: That line, I think it's he's a cool guy.
Speaker 2: It stands up to multiple, multiple really funny film viewings. Okay, all right, we've got three great films and really good films and well on one on again for not necessarily going and Citizen Kane for extra cred nothing wrong with Citizen Kane. Let's listen to have a word from our sponsor and we'll come.
Speaker 1: Back in a sick.
Speaker 2: All right, hughsy Now it's time to discuss the film of the episode. John Hughes's from nine to eighty six, pretty in pink.
Speaker 6: You know you're talking like that just because I'm going out.
Speaker 4: With Blaine Blaine.
Speaker 6: His name is Blaine.
Speaker 1: That's a major repliance.
Speaker 6: That's not a name. Because I'm going out with Blaine doesn't mean I can't be friends with you. I mean, does it change way I feel about you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: That's very nice. I'm I'm glad.
Speaker 4: Here's it.
Speaker 1: Here's the point.
Speaker 7: Any I'm not particularly concerned with whether or not you like me, because I live to like you and and and.
Speaker 1: I can't like you anymore.
Speaker 7: So, So when you get your heart splattered all over Helen and you're feeling really low and dirty, don't don't look to me to help pump you back up, because because it's because maybe for the first time, and you're like, I won't be there.
Speaker 6: I can't believe you're actually seeing this.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess that's just tough shit. Tough shit.
Speaker 5: He's poignant. I mean, that is ducky. Ducky, Yeah, who had been.
Speaker 1: Friend zoned by Molly Ringwood or Andy in the film. And he did. He was very good in this film. Yeah, no, he was.
Speaker 2: I warmed to him when I first saw his first few exchanges there was, you know, he goes up to the two girls and said, okay, one of you're pregnant. You know, you're not sure where he's going to land, you know when you're first. And by the way, So I thought i'd seen most of this film like this being on my wife enjoys this film.
Speaker 1: I've certainly seen the end, so I kind of had known how it.
Speaker 2: Ended, but I wasn't completely sure of what the contexts of the relationships. So I wasn't sure who am I supposed to be? Yeah, how's this going to bland?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So it does.
Speaker 5: It holds your interest just for that reason as to what will happen at the end. And yeah, but the performances were great. It was and it's really I believe the film has stood the test of time. I'm I'm I was meant to say this now or not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Does he like or do you not like it?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: Like it? I really liked it, man, I really liked it. And it's it spoke to me with friend zone Ducky. You know who is John Cryer? Who I think? Who is that guy wout to Google? Yeah, that's really that's Charlie Sheen's sidekick in Two and a Half Man, I didn't I made Yeah, I did not. I didn't put the I hadn't seen that film. I hadn't seen Pretty in Pink. But he does a great job.
Speaker 1: He does, and he's he's energetic, He's danced his dance to person. Yeah.
Speaker 5: My wife said that she first watched the film. She's a bit younger than me, so she wouldn't have watch it as it. Oh, no, she might have. Actually, she was born in seventy nine and that film came out in eighty six. She reckonly watched it when she was about nine for the first time, so maybe it was a couple of years old she might have seen on video.
Speaker 1: Would she l eighties? Yeah? Jed off the Telly. She said that even as a nine year old, she thought, why doesn't Molly or Andy go for darky?
Speaker 2: Well, and that's the whole thing about the movie. The big question is who is she going to choose? There's three choices. It's not just the two because Steph's there as well, James with a good head full of hair.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what.
Speaker 5: We google the cast and yes there is some hair has been lost over the journey. So Yeah, but he is. Yeah, he plays a bit of an evil character, doesn't he a bit of a.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: There is a case to be made that Steph actually did make his feelings known to Andy in a way that was he was confident. He wasn't worried about what his friends thought of him. He didn't in front of his friends where where Ducky's kind of got this kind of puppy love and he's like he can't quite bring himself to kind of tell Andy. And then you have Blaine who's worried about his friends, and Steph kind of owns it.
Speaker 1: He just goes up early on, early on. Yeah, she rejects him. She rejects him so and he's angry about it.
Speaker 5: He's bitter, and he's easy slagging her off to his uppy mate Blaine.
Speaker 1: And you know, he's a package of sleeves. There's no doubt about that. The shirt is just it's buttoned low, it's hardly buttoned at all.
Speaker 2: No, it's kind of hilarious sometimes where you know John Cryer or or Andrew McCarthy will walk off and then it's just like Steph will be like leaning against the pole in the corner or something looking like he's about to shoot you know.
Speaker 1: A yacht, yes, you know, yeah, a video clip on a yacht.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so you know there's a case because I think the first instinct is to kind of go, you wanker, Steph. But I think, and you know, there's certainly a bit of that, but I think there's a case to be made that you know, he was deserving of some early credits.
Speaker 5: What you're saying is that the characters are reasonably well rounded. And I think that's true. And I think John Hughes who wrote the film and you've told me he didn't direct her, but he wrote the film and he's written a good he's written a good, well rounded film. If there's other things I related to Molly Ringwood was too embarrassed to get dropped off by Andrew McCarthy in his BMW in front of her house because she was, you know, ashamed of her house.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I grew up in a commission house myself.
Speaker 5: My mother hates me saying this, but you know I do remember times not wanting my friends to come round to our house because of that. It's humble nature.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely genuinely would really struck and you know, a nerve with you like.
Speaker 1: I did completely.
Speaker 5: And there's you know, even friends of the Molly Ringwood's dad who can't get out of bed and is depressed and can't work. I've got friends like that, who you know. It's yeah, I think the film is great. I'm gonna say again, I reckon the headline. The title of the film probably put me off with me watching it. Pretty in pink and what's that? I think of Alicia's Silverstone when I just see that title. Not that I got against her, but it was like, you know, I wouldn't have expected the film to as you know, deep, Not that it's that deep, but it's got it's got.
Speaker 1: Some things going on.
Speaker 2: We meet we meet Andy, and the fact that she's you know, looking after her father who has been you know, you know, his wife and his mother has run off on him. Yeah, that's a detail in a little teen romantic, you know, kind of comedy that you.
Speaker 1: Know, that was well. The dad and I think he's Harry Dean stand recently. I think so he might have. He was good.
Speaker 2: He was good that There's one scene that I feel like he didn't quite nail, and I reckon it's a scene where she says, when are you going to get over? You know, and Molly Ringwoods giving it her she's full blown and he he just I didn't believe the transition from quickly just kind of grabs her and hugs her, and I just it's like there was two kind of slightly mismatched actors in that. You think she acted him in that moment. I feel like Harry Dean standing in that moment couldn't go with Molly.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, yeah, no, that's probably a fair point.
Speaker 2: And if I watched this completely when I was younger and this is this is a much loved film, I wouldn't have probably noticed that all picked it up, you know. I just watching it last night, I just thought, because thinking how good he was, and a lot of those quieter moments, even when Ducky kind of tells him that he wants to marry Andy, like he's really likable, and then it's just in that moment and listen, it could have been a directorial thing, you know, could have been directed better, maybe could have been edited better, but it just kind of felt a little bit too almost like melodramatic in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that's fair. Yeah, another criticism I.
Speaker 2: Have of the film is the I don't understand the motivation for a lot of the things that are happening, Like I don't really understand why what does Andy c in Blaine? And what does Blaine see in Andy? And so my wife was saying, that's the same thing. But then during the film, and I mean, Blaine does does show a sense of humor and you know, a quiet sense of humor, and Blaine certainly seems to be a lovely person, so and you know, he does have money, and I think I think that does come into it a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: When we spoke about Star Wars on this podcast with Lead, he made the point of kind of going like what does the Empire actually want?
Speaker 1: Like what do they want this paw? What are they going to do? Like what do they want?
Speaker 2: And it's like, actually, I've never thought about it, like this is back in the day when you were just told that the bad they're the bad guys and they're the good guys and that was that was enough, That's all we needed. And I feel like there's a bit of that going on in this film, where it's like they're the hot guys. Of course, you know this guy's going to fall for the hot guy and then and that's then that's the moral question we have to ask ourselves. Should we go for the hot guy, should go for the for Ducky? And yeah, but it's just like there's no even I I owner at the Annie Potts who fans of ghost Busses would recognize Silly Piccola is a big fan of Anie Potts and the she's the receptionist at Ghost Buses.
Speaker 1: Right that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's at the record store and she kind of has this kind of like weak, kind of almost a little like moment with Na with Ducky, I'm not really kind of well, I think Ducky's got an appeal, you know. He kisses, Yeah, kiss apparently set her thighs on fire or something.
Speaker 5: Yes, And that was great for Duky. And at the end of the film, Ducky does get it and we're all happy. Can we say what happens at the end of the film, At the end of well, yeah, the end of the film was I think it was wrapped up well where eventually Andrew McCarthy does realize after rejecting Molly Ringwood because he was worried about what his parents and what his friends would think, he goes to the prom on his own, and but she goes, I'm going to the prompt.
Speaker 1: I don't care where no one else is going. I'm not going.
Speaker 5: He's going to go my own, which is an empowering moment. I believe for all people who didn't have a date to a prom or some sort of graduation, that they should just go anyway.
Speaker 1: Yep, she goes there, ducky is.
Speaker 5: He reunites with her after being so annoyed that she had gone for that rich guy, and he walks in with a Molly Ringwood. Which is a lovely moment.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. It's a really good moment.
Speaker 2: And I think the moment leading into the prom where she says to her dad that I'm going alone and I'm okay with it, I think is a really lovely moment.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, look at you.
Speaker 4: Another first, you guys going to fall to the floor when he comes in.
Speaker 6: No, we won't. So hell is that? No? He really won't. He's not coming what It's okay, I'm going to go alone. Yeah, I'm not sad about it. I'm not hurt. I mean I am hurt a little bit, but I know if I don't do it I'll just feel a lot worse. I'm just going to go in, walk in, walk out and come home. Sure, some one lets me know that it didn't break me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got to get my daughters to watch this film. I think. I think a seven. Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, I think.
Speaker 2: And I love the Breakfast Breakfast out out of this era of John Hughes. The sixteen candles are pretty pink, the some kind of wonderful.
Speaker 5: I can't remember that. I've definitely watched The Breakfast Club. I can't really remember I watched that again.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club is is is? I think easily the best of those films. Yeah right, and then he kind of goes on to like a more at least that's doing like Ferris Bueller and playing veins and autobiles and which is one of my favorite films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's Home Alone? And what do you do Home Alone? As well? I think, yeah, yeah, right, So I didn't know, excuse my ignorance for you know, I'm not sure if you direct at Home a live but he wrote he wrote home Alone. Yeah, right, there you go. I also had a national Lampeon's vacation. Yes that was him. Goodness, what a career. Well done, that's incredible.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I just think in that moment, Molly ring was somebody who I've never had, like, even though I love the Breakfast clu, I've never had that kind of like. There a lot of I think guys and girls do have that almost crushed and the absolute love for Molly ring Well, and sometimes I think she's great in one scene and then I don't quite get what she's doing the other scene. But in that scene where she tells her dad that I'm going alone, I think it's as good as scene as I've seen Molly Ringwood do.
Speaker 5: Empowering, Yeah, inspiring for everyone, I think, Yeah, and there was yeah, well well done. At the end of the film, there's a very awkward scene and we all feel sorry for Daki when he walks into the prom with Andy molly Ringwood and they're holding hands and then then Andrew McCarthy comes up. Blaine comes up and basically shape duck his hand and takes over. But you know what, then you but then I'll take it from here. No, But then he walks off and he says, he says, I always believed in you, Molly, but I just didn't believe in myself, which is again, I'm getting tingles.
Speaker 6: You know, hi.
Speaker 1: You don't need me to say I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: It's done. It's done for where I'm fine.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, that's true that I'm glad.
Speaker 6: It's not true. It doesn't matter, doesn't.
Speaker 4: He told me he couldn't believe.
Speaker 1: In somebody didn't believe in you.
Speaker 4: I believed in you.
Speaker 1: Always believed in me, just didn't believe in me.
Speaker 4: I love you. Oh and the.
Speaker 2: He came here alone, so you're right, he's not like yellish.
Speaker 7: If you don't go to him now, I'm never gonna take you to another problem ever again.
Speaker 6: You're me.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is an incredibly romantic moment, and you're ruining.
Speaker 6: I'm stuck here.
Speaker 4: End.
Speaker 5: But then when Darky says, you go get him, you go, girl, you go get him, and Ducky does. He says that like Ducky himself doesn't need Molly, you know me, Ducky doesn't need Andy. Ducky's okay too. It was just really good. Ducky turns around, his hot blonde goes, come here, Ducky. Yeah, Ducky goes, well, here we go, here we go, here we go. Well that's opened to me as well.
Speaker 2: Christy Swanson that was and then John Cray gives that look to camera, which is almost there was a look to camera.
Speaker 1: It's the very first Yeah, there was that look to camera. It's so fresh.
Speaker 5: And you know, I've got to discuss movies basically the night after seeing them because I can remember it so well.
Speaker 1: Week I'll forget about this completely.
Speaker 2: Well, this has been the joy of doing this podcast because and I was chatting to While again the other night, just saying, what's great about it is I often go see movies by myself and then and when I might bump into somebody who's seen that movie a week later, it's, you know, everyone's a bit busy, so it's you know, it's a chatting a corridor or something that you like it?
Speaker 1: What do you think of it? You know? And that's it.
Speaker 2: So the joy of being doing this podcast has been having these longer conversations which I feel like we.
Speaker 1: Used to have.
Speaker 2: But maybe I'm just imagining that in my own head. But I want to talk about the the Ducky scene because the interesting thing from a production point of view is that the original ending was they Molly just ended up with Ducky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, you see that happening, Yeah, that was And the test screening.
Speaker 2: They did a test screening and apparently people booed, which I think sounds harsh. It might have been something that might have been Chinese whispers down the line, you know, I want to have been. People are saying, I reckon, maybe he should have she should have ended up with Blaine. But eventually so they went back and reshot.
Speaker 5: Look Blaine, who doesn't say a lot in the film. Andrew McCarthy, he's very likable.
Speaker 1: He really is.
Speaker 2: Andrew McCarthy has always had an extremely likable face.
Speaker 5: Yes, so it's like you can you you feel for him, you do, and he's done. He does well in the film where he doesn't Yeah, as I said, he doesn't say a lot, but what he does say is good and he seems like a reasonable person and he's stuck between two worlds and yeah, you're really so, you know, I wasn't unhappy that he ended up with Molly, and I was better. I was very happy that Ducky turned around and the hot blonde wanted a piece of Darky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I was. That was good too, Ducky. We were feeling sorry for Ducky kill that moment Ducky needed to get a win because Ducky was poor.
Speaker 5: By the way, there's at one point there's a scene where Ducky is in his bedroom and my wife said, does he live in a squash because there was the wall Ducky maybe squatting somewhere where Blaine lives in a mansion.
Speaker 1: I really drove that point. So, yeah, the the scene.
Speaker 2: One little clue it's been really shot is Andrew McCarthy is he was on Broadway doing a show. He's actually wearing a wig in those scenes and is he yea, his hair is a little bit different and he's a bit more gaunt.
Speaker 1: He actually lost weight to do this role on Broadway, right, And this interesting.
Speaker 2: But the passion scene right at the end that finishes in the car park, the scene a bit weird to me, Like it seemed like a just.
Speaker 1: A weird a weird pash. Yeah, they really kind of look I don't.
Speaker 5: Think they're kissing was great, but it wasn't Andy and Blaine and Molly and Andrew's well you know that there. They weren't great. They didn't kiss great together. But you know what, that's probably real life as well. I mean often you know, I mean, I I kissed my wife and we have a problem one night and she's she's not happy with it how it came out. So what did you have to kiss her on us? We have a problem which she came on one I can't remember what for. And but at the end of it, you know, you're looking for an out on television. So it was like pash and yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked. I'm really shocked. You know. Well, it wasn't like we didn't go We don't think tongues, did you.
Speaker 2: This was also shot at the Rydale High where Greece was shot at the same school.
Speaker 1: Wow, as all fun, but is.
Speaker 5: It actually with the school? Obviously rich kids at the school, poor kids at the school? It was one with school in America?
Speaker 1: Is there a scholarship? Was she on a scholarship?
Speaker 2: Was with Duckie? And yeah, I mean, I can't remember if that was mentioned at all. That was my impression.
Speaker 5: Perhaps what happens with schooling in America? My wife said that it's all public? Is it a high schools all public? Or the rich in Australia obviously you know private schools, public schools, And yeah, what happens in America?
Speaker 1: Do they have private school, dead pearl society. Yeah right, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So there's there's all these kids, these rich kids going to the school, and then there's obviously Duky he lives in a squat and Molly who's looking after a depressed father.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they're at the same school.
Speaker 2: But sometimes, you know, like even you go to school and there will be kids who you you know, particularly if you come from you know, less money, that you kind of assume are really like really rich, and they're like they're not as rich. It's like there's got a little bit more money than you have, because they seem to kind of you know. I remember somebody said to me because I thought I made of mom was like really rich. And remember another saying, mate, nobody who's really riches living in Bundura. I was like, okay, okay, yeah, bigger than that relative relative.
Speaker 1: I remember, you know, thinking how rich my mate was who you know, his dad was the butcher.
Speaker 5: But you know, whether they had a butcher shop and they sold a lot of meat, but it's just one shop. They might have had too, No, I think they had one him he's brother, so it wasn't like it was the starky brothers.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, well my mate, my mate, they used to build a lot of overseas trips so to come home and have the new like a new pair of Nikes, Nikes, and I thought, okay, well they're obviously rich.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: He claimed to be the first person in Australia they have the Bros cassette a push.
Speaker 1: My brother was in the Navy and he went to Southeast Asia and the Navy at the age he went there when he was sixteen and I was like a couple of years younger, and he brought me home a brand new pair of Nikes from Southeast Asian. But they loved it. About a day they just fell apart. Literally.
Speaker 5: I wore them one day and then they shredded. I mean that was terrible workmanship. I was like that, I don't reckon they were real Yeah anyway, So yeah.
Speaker 2: So another theory that I think is quite interesting. Do you think Dougie's gay?
Speaker 5: Well, initially we thought I thought he was a gay character. Yeah, so that was like and that was and but then then but very quickly they make you realize that you let your led to realize that he's not gay. So I don't think he's gay, but he was the way the way he acted in the film is the way. You know that that often characters in films who are gay are portrayed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, And I don't think he's gay.
Speaker 2: Molly ring Wild has a theory that she believes he is. He doesn't, He doesn't, he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Well, she said that, She said that, she said she's trying to just try why. She didn't.
Speaker 5: Why she was shall and went for the rich guy had a gay yea, yeah, well she was like, that's why, and end up with the guy who's obviously full of personality and he's a real character in this film, and he's like entertaining.
Speaker 1: He's like, I mean, it could be possibly annoying to be around for too long. That's true. He doesn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's true. You've got to turn it off, switch stucky. Yeah, but I don't think he's gay in the film.
Speaker 2: But well, Molly, Molly and John Cray have said and Molly Ringwold said that John Hughes will often put gay characters in without you know, having them openly. Again, it's really interesting because we've spoken about this podcast before. A boat you know, who are put into you know, it happened to revel without a cause because this was when Yeah, it's too controversial again, are you.
Speaker 5: Saying just going to say, are you saying that if that film was done in twenty twenty, when she walks off with Andrew McCarthy, that when Ducky looks up, there would be a guy given him the eye.
Speaker 1: It's probably go right, we're on. It's probably the guy.
Speaker 2: It's probably instead of Kirsty Swanson, it's probably the guy from Cobra Kai.
Speaker 1: And the credit seeing the film as well. No, he's on the film. But I'm just think of somebody. Yeah right, well maybe a hot, hot blonde for me, do you reckon?
Speaker 5: That would have made sense, some some hot guy gone over here Ducky.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think maybe I think it matters. I do think it makes it. I think it makes it a more interesting character, to be honest, because he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because no, I.
Speaker 5: Look for a young man who has been friend zone, who was friend zoned I, you know, who was like you know, I'm talking about myself now, who who also believed that I was full of personality and was being overlooked by young warnable girls who were going for the hotter guy.
Speaker 1: They know who they are.
Speaker 5: I yeah, that speech where he realized she's going for this other guy, and the speech that Duckie gives to her. I certainly gave them in side my head. Whether I gave them to actual young women or not, I can't remember. So yeah, I don't think that he don't the characters gay.
Speaker 2: I don't think it really. I just want to say, I don't think it matters, like because he's feeling what he's feeling. Yeah, it's not this feeling.
Speaker 1: I don't think he.
Speaker 5: Would have had those I'm not gay, but I don't think he would have had those exact feelings. If he was gay, he would have had a different speech, you know. So, So I I am on record now going against Molly Ringwood who was in the film, And I don't know what John Hughes said about this, or what.
Speaker 1: John Hughson hasn't said that.
Speaker 2: John cry Has has has said that he believes the character like is like if he did a teen year later sequel.
Speaker 1: Ducky's maybe with a blike Yeah, Well I don't. I disagree. I disagree.
Speaker 5: I disagree with the two actors in the film, but the guy who wrote it, who hasn't said anything.
Speaker 1: And he joins us now Afterworld Opennes.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I I absolutely agree with you that it's really powerful when to see those scenes. The first one that where I thought, Okay, I'm really warm in the ducky was in the bedroom when he's so close and he's like trying to get the courage to say something. I mean, you would have been in that situation, Yes, I would be in that situation growing up, where I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Just need to tell this person, yes, why not me? You know me and you know and I can just say it and then see how what happened. But you don't want the rejection.
Speaker 5: I wanted to say nah, even though you know you assume that's what they're going to say. Some of the Kate Lambers always say, you've always got no, You've already got no.
Speaker 1: Why not ask you've already got no.
Speaker 2: She's a wise woman. She's a wise woman, that Kate Lambron. Yeah, what did you think of the do you know what computer program? Lane was using to stalker computer program?
Speaker 5: That was a computer The computers were great earlier mid eighties. Computing is just so cool and it was like they were doing what what they were doing was would have at a time been blowing people away where they were basically having a chat via computer. Now it was just you know, obviously every moment occurrence.
Speaker 1: It's not the first dating app.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was incredible. Yeah, and then yeah, look, I don't know, well you asked what program it was, I don't know, but it was.
Speaker 1: It was. It was funny to watch, it was. It was quite brilliant. I just want to go through this period of the eighties and fashion is amazing. By the way, the hair is incredible.
Speaker 2: I mean Anie Parts, I think Wins, you know, for her hairstyle with the spiky kind of yeah, the big spiky.
Speaker 5: I look at photos of my sisters from those days. You know, my sisters were about the same age as I was. I was a little bit younger, but yeah, a few years, but yeah, that's same.
Speaker 1: Here is that hair, that massive hair.
Speaker 5: The photos of their eighteenths and stuff from the eighties just massive.
Speaker 2: I feel like it is that style come back. Do you think like we're not fashionists, but I feel like watching Pretty Pink, you know, like some of the fashion's funny, but it feels like it has been part of society again since that time.
Speaker 5: Well with Molly Ringwold, who was like an op shop girl. She liked fashion for well, my wife was I was watching with my wife and she's saying that her fashion from that film is just like now fashion. She was so fashion forward in that film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and which apparently came for a lot of her own tastes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, so, and that was that's the hipster look that that's traveled through the ages, and she was right on it.
Speaker 1: Robert Downey Jr. Almost played Ducky. Yeah, Wow, that.
Speaker 5: Was interesting, isn't it. Howld have he gone as Ducky? Yeah, because it's interesting if Yeah, you too handsome to play Ducky. Yeah, I reckon, because I feel like I feel like Ducky. There's no way that if Robert Downey Jr. Had to play Ducky at the end of the film choice at at the end of the film, I don't reckon the test screening they would to boot would have gone, of course, of course, Robert Danny Jr. Yeah, two hands hagon too handsome, Yeah to play Ducky.
Speaker 1: I think you're right.
Speaker 2: I was impressed at some of the Ducky's BMX moves. Yeah, yeah, you were you a BMX guy.
Speaker 5: I look, I dreamed of having a mongo Yeah, do you have a mongoose? Dream came of a mongoose? Yeah, So I never had a mongoose. I did, never been back to one point, but I was never good enough. God, I'm so just on a side note, I'm so you ever go past a half pipe? Do you ever look at the skate well it goes on in those on skateboards or scooters or bmx's inside those half pipes?
Speaker 1: Unbelievable? How good people are?
Speaker 2: Have you stood on one and looked down the fact that I've never scaped me and skateboards?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not.
Speaker 5: I never attained any heights, although part I hurt myself going down hills too too steep over the you know, as a young man. But yeah, I've never what people can do incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just go.
Speaker 2: Let's go through though, because there are a bunch of actors in John Hughes movies and they're not quite cursed at all.
Speaker 1: But there's a lot of people who are like.
Speaker 2: Huge for a period of time and then they just kind of didn't do much. Did Andrew McCarthy like what happened? He's so he's so.
Speaker 1: Enjoyable to watch.
Speaker 2: And so he makes Class in eighty three, moving called Class I think, which aad Michael Keaton in it. Then Saint Almost Fire Fire, that the brat Packs Born Pretty in Pink in eighty six, Manequin in eighty seven, Weekend at Bernie's in eighty nine, and then we can at Bernie's and there's one or two misfires in amongst these, but week In at Bernie's two in ninety two, and then he's in the joy Luck Club weirdly in not necessarily weirdly, but I don't remember him being in that in ninety three. And then that was almost the last decent thing he did, and he's done a lot of TV appearances in verious recently.
Speaker 1: I don't think what happened. I've seen him. I don't know. I don't know why he went cold.
Speaker 2: Look like now, I just actually I saw a little thing where he was talking about how he understands why pretty Pink still resonates, and.
Speaker 1: He looks pretty good. It looks pretty good.
Speaker 2: Like I'm waiting for Michael Keaton style comeback for Andrew McCarthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, is it possible that would be? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Look, seeing him in that film and liking him in that film. And I haven't really focused on him much ever. Really we did wonder what happened to him? Why didn't he Why isn't he Why isn't that really likable, watchable, seemingly good actor, worked much again, it's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Spainer kind of had ups and downs. And he's had more some TV hits, you know, yeah, right recently, and he was he was so great as Robert California in the Office when Steve Carrell left, he did one season.
Speaker 1: I've never really watched the American Office. Oh you really must.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love the English one, and I just never I've never given the American one at the time.
Speaker 1: I've never given the time. I know a lot of people rave about it.
Speaker 2: I love the UK and yeah, I've stopped even trying to compare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it is. It's absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 5: If it's James Spader did seem he went off the radar for a long time, and he never really became a movie star after.
Speaker 1: No he made him.
Speaker 2: He was making quite subversive, kind of almost erotic kind of films like crap maybe Crash about the not the central bullet one, but the one way that you you people get turned on by crashing in the cars and is it good? Haven't been able to make my way through it. David Cronenberg. It's it was weird because my dad, who very rarely takes him off, takes himself to go see a movie, was on a work trip in Canberra and came home and Tommy when I saw that movie was and he said, it was a bit shocked by it.
Speaker 1: So well, you.
Speaker 5: Probably knew what after the fact. Try to make myself feel better on.
Speaker 1: A work trip.
Speaker 2: But mate, that's that is awesome. I'm so glad, thank you for doing this podcast. I know it is a podcast that comes with a little bit of homework.
Speaker 1: You know, I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 5: I loved watching that Pretty in Pink film, which I probably never would have watched if I hadn't had to watch a film like a well known film for this podcast. I know the brief was watch a well known film, and you gave me Apart from the Shape of Water, you gave me a list of I reckon one hundred films and I pretty much watch them all, so I can't remember most of them, but I've watched them. I am a film watcher, but I had not seen Pretty Pink. I don't even know it was on the list, to be honest. But that is a good film to And now it's all about the streaming service, isn't it?
Speaker 1: In life?
Speaker 5: We just go what can I see that's different? Pretty in Pink? If you haven't seen it, put it on. It's on stand.
Speaker 2: And there isn't that called There's anap called just watch, which I use and you it's just watch and if you type in whatever movie you want to watch, it'll tell you which streaming services it's available.
Speaker 1: Lot just watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is an effort to go through the streaming service to find out which is on which.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's becoming very hand and for this podcast, but did you did you ever end up making it to not a prom but a formal law.
Speaker 1: No, I never did. Look.
Speaker 5: I did the graduation, which was not a date thing. I remember in Victoria it was like it was the deb so you need to be and the girl had to ask the guy to do the deb and no one asked me. It was it was a tragedy. Although one girl she didn't do a deb and she should have asked me. I would have definitely said yes, Janine. We had a moment afterwards back in anyway, in Janine.
Speaker 1: I did a deb Sorry man, well I mean you were better than me, but I did.
Speaker 5: I did go to the graduation and dance, and I'll never forget, which is a year twelve after, you know, I never forget my parents sitting me down the day after the graduation and saying to me, you shouldn't dance.
Speaker 1: You've got no rhythms. Just a terrible thing for my parents.
Speaker 2: You know you should do because you just started on Sydney Breakfast Cracking start.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're loving it. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Of course you do brilliant you know what you should do? Well, he's his debut on ball. Imagine all the people never got to do it, got it to worry, but I should.
Speaker 1: And the girls all the way pink.
Speaker 2: And then and you get all the all the hot guys can be the ducky.
Speaker 1: It's a good idea that.
Speaker 2: Lock it in all right, mate, Thanks for playing with us, Good on you mate, Love's daunting, great fun there with my great mate Dave Hughsey Hughes.
Speaker 1: Check him out if you're in Sydney.
Speaker 2: Sydney Breakfast Radio on today f M with Ed Cavallet and Aaron Molan the podcast. I'm sure he's available and just whatever he's doing, you know, he's out, he's on the road constantly. He's got his.
Speaker 1: Problem still.
Speaker 2: He stayed to make sure I mentioned everything that he's doing. Hughsy, we have a problem. Is a great show up here in that periodically, so it's hard to get Pete. Yeah, I'm busy watching movies.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks Derek mis my podcast manager at Casways Studios dot com dot au. You can email me at Yasney Podcast at gmail dot com dot au. Thank you were loving than just Yesney Podcast at gmail dot com, not the au, loving all the feedback, keep it coming. Bye, And so we leave old Pete, save Fanseult and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.