Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast, Happy Thursday.
Speaker 1: We chat about being called baby today.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say this week the brain was a little bit hollow. Yeah, like it was probably half half some some some topics.
Speaker 3: I still you had a few profound moments.
Speaker 2: In amongst some fluffier times. Well, we came to the conclusion that people like being called baby.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we came to that conclusion. That feels like, actually, that feels like a bit of a fighting word. But we also talked about how to scientifically increase your luck, and I could say we did feel like there was some there was some value.
Speaker 1: I'll be taking that all right.
Speaker 3: Enjoy the show.
Speaker 2: Frou Meno through me Boo, Mummy, flex Mom.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: On kait Hey baby, you like being called baby?
Speaker 3: No? Oh is a question?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sorry, I got nervous. Yeah, like all pet names.
Speaker 1: If I would call you baby, would you find that inappropriate?
Speaker 3: I don't think you'd say it, well, but I'd let it slide.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, allegedly calling a woman baby is good for her mental health. The word does do something to the female brain. It releases a certain chemical and brain oxytocin.
Speaker 3: Santialization of women.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, dumpack, and I'll provacy this by saying this came from Elite Daily, which I went on.
Speaker 2: Not going to Lead Daily every day in twenty thirteen, get to go for a breakup, and they were enabling my feelings in a way that was actually quite onerous. According to numerous catalogs discussing stress reducing techniques, being called baby has a positive effect on the female brain.
Speaker 1: When we start saying female brain.
Speaker 2: You know we're going.
Speaker 3: So we're not quite right, and yet here we are.
Speaker 1: There aren't enough specific studies focusing on the word baby. They do remind us, but there are reports on.
Speaker 4: The words So someone said, A friend of mine said, and that's the study of they're referencing.
Speaker 3: I was having a chat on the weekend.
Speaker 2: This is like in COVID when suddenly everyone had a hook up to the infectious disease doctor from a leading expert at the Royal Women's Hospital.
Speaker 1: Shut up, stop it.
Speaker 2: For example, when we hear the word no, our bodies start producing a stress hormone. The opposite happens when we hear baby and yes. When a woman hears that she's your baby, she can't help but looking like her baby.
Speaker 3: One more time.
Speaker 4: This is like spreading misinformation. Did you read this article in the way Mickey just pointing thing? Your eyes darted so quickly to Micky when Ti mak you send it to me? I did say that's a fantastic one.
Speaker 2: Let's take it, and then you copy and pasted quotes for three.
Speaker 3: There is currently a dating app in the market where guys cannot get in unless they are endorsed by a woman. The app has two out of five stars on Google play less than two hundred reviews. I did my due diligence. It's called Hula. Hulah the dating app that empowers Women. This is their words, by the way, directly from their Google play listing, The dating app that empowers women to take control of their dating lives and date only better guys. On Hula, any woman in a relationship or single can join and become a ringleader. Phrase is very interesting and endorse guys for other single women to date. This provides real world accountability for every man on the platform, making it a safer space for women to connect and date. Here's how it works. As a single woman going through men, you'll only see the best of the best guys because every guy on Huler has been endorsed by a woman to be on the platform. If you're a guy who is lucky enough to be endorsed by a hula ring leader, you'll own points for good gentlemanly behavior. These points can lead to some and I quote seriously awesome rewards. So it's in everyone's best interest to bring in be the best of the best. So girls come, become a ringleader and invite your single best friend. I kind of like it, like I like the concept. I like it in theory, but it also goes back to that fundamental issues. Let's say I'm coming to you through me, yeah, and I'm telling you about an experience that I've had with a guy friend of yours, and you're like, oh, I think he's quite great now. I was like, oh, I don't know, Like I felt quite unsafe around him. He made a few jokes that I wasn't comfortable with. You know, you know, I saw the way he interacted with this person. I don't like him. And you might say, well, I've only had good experiences with him. I've never experienced that side, and so you'll go and endorse him on this app. I think the tricky thing with dating endorsements is that often what happens is the person that you know as your friend is not the person you know as a partner because they aren't your partner. And everybody's great friend is somebody's bad partner, and vice versa. Everyone's a bad friend is somebody's good partner. So what I could find to be a little bit contradictory or a little bit a little bit hindering about the experience is that you have a bunch of people endorsing their friends about their friendship and not really endorsing people who've been in relationships with them about their relationship.
Speaker 1: And it's very different.
Speaker 3: It's extremely different.
Speaker 1: How is that that it's different?
Speaker 2: Is it because of because some people are such good friends, but then they turn completely different in a relationship setting.
Speaker 3: I just think there are lower expectations in friendships because they're really harder. I mean, the number one, you can juggle so many friendships at once, So what you don't get from one person you will get from thirty four others if you so choose. And a lot of what people expect from friendships are varied and a lot of the stakes are quite low. So if you want a few friends to send memes to, a few friends to party with, a few friends to go to dinner with, you can seek that out quite easily. But in romance, generally speaking, you now have to seek at this one person to be a lot of things for you in a close to excellent way. And so your expectation to create this unnecessary, not unnecessary, the very necessary pressure on the dynamic, which means that the pressure that you're putting onto someone is unlocking a different part of them in return. And so yes, you've never seen this type of person. You've never seen this type of behavior from a friend because you've never had to put pressure or expectations on them as you might have if you were in a relationship real life. Just keeps laughing, fortunately or unfortunately if you end up using this. I'm not sure if it's available in Australia. I couldn't find on the apps or I didn't try very hard, though I didn't, but I will say they're doing their due diligence. On TikTok, I'm seeing a few people post about it, you know, not posting using it but posting talking about it, so that in itself is a little gap in expectation versus reality. But I'm happy to see that there are more players in the market. Always, dating is a lifelong problem that needs to be.
Speaker 2: Solved another day, another opportunity for the overlords to come to us to sell us a product. I came across this TikTok which was about a shark tank. What are they called, like, business creators, entrepreneur. Yeah, these guys came on shark tank and their idea was to create a glove that women could use when taking out their sanitary items. Have you heard of this FLEXI?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: I feel like you would have done a deep dive on this back in the day.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, so things just sound so silly from the jump that there's no need to explore further.
Speaker 2: Literally, so, these guys, two of the founders, met in the army before moving into a woman's flat and noticing that there seemed to be no good solution when it came to the disposal of tampons. It goes on to say that their inventive spirit was awakened and they just had to come up with the solutions. So their solution a pink glove that you could put on when you take out, say your tampon, and then you wrap it like you pull the glove inside out and it becomes like a little discreete packaging. And I got to say on the outset, if you do have your period on the go, sometimes that's a nice little little treat, A little treat for the girl of these pops. Say you're at someone's house, you don't want to be putting it in any bins. Take a home in your bag. We've all done it. A pad's another great one that's probably a bit more red hot. But obviously people are saying, why are you investors coming for these multimillion dollar investment deals for a product that only perpetuates the idea that periods are gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It kind of reminds me how if you look behind the curtain for a lot of prominent brands made for women, so women's clothing, women's jewelry, women's sanitary items, women's health, it's run by men, and so you start to think about the solutions that we've had for us, and you kind of think someone's kind of off, Like why don't out clothes have pockets and you know, why would someone make this thing in that way? And it's like, oh, because it wasn't made for you, by you. And that's why it was such a big pr moment when Volkswagen no, I think it's a Volvo designed a car buy women for women, and they changed so many things about like the way the seat belts would do up to accommodate for a chest or a bust, or the way the distance between the actual uh the acceleration the accelerator and the break between that and the chair, and the way that the chairs would fit to accommodate a wider hip, and all of these considerations that had him been made before. And you know, there was this idea that you know, cars have always been made to be adjustable. It's like, yeah, adjustable within certain parameters that were made for men.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. I never thought of that.
Speaker 3: And that is oh really you thought you bought I want one? Oh you want? And they have done similar studies on public transport for example, like you know those groupie things and to hold to keep you upright are so high up this today so tall. Anyway, you start to look too deeply, it gets a bit sinister.
Speaker 1: It gets so sinister. So yeah, the pink gloves, I don't think they came to fruition.
Speaker 3: Where are they now?
Speaker 1: Where are they now? You're listening to flex and rooms on Kita.
Speaker 3: That's proof that you could increase your luck. Would you try? That is the question we're asking today. So love Sophie Burns on TikTok is talking about this exercise that she was made to do in a university class, and her lecture was talking about the scientific ways to increase your luck. And so what he got them to do was separate all into micro groups of five or six people. So there could have been six people in this class, could have been one hundred, who knows. But when you go and separate and break out into these little groups, you are told to close your eyes and think about something that you need a resource, a connection, You need a new car, you need better grades, and you need like someone to go shopping with, and you need a book recommendation. And so you think about all those things quite clearly in your head, and then when you open your eyes, you're all instructed to express what it is that you need. So I might say to for me, I need someone to house it on the weekend and I'm really stressed about that because if I don't house it on the weekend, then my plants die. I don't have plants that don't need a house it up, but for example, and then someone else in the grip might say, oh, my goodness, I was just thinking that I need a bit of extra cash because I just lost my job and I don't want the commitment of a full time job and I would love an odd job. Suddenly we've just gotten lucky. I needed something, you needed something, and we both fulfilled each other's needs. And then someone else says, oh my god, that's so crazy, because I was saying that, like it might be annoying to say, but I just I'm really struggling in this class and I just need some kind of clarity. And then someone else says, well, i'm trying to get extra credit, and I was told I should be a tutor to get some extra credit. What about we band together? And so what happens is that, statistically speaking, in expressing a need out loud, expressing a need openly publicly, with conviction being very clear on it, often there is somebody around you that can assist. And so, on the odd chance that you were someone in the group who didn't get your needs met. What happens to you? Do you just resign to the fact that you don't get what you want? Well, no, then you're instructed to go to another group and express your need there. Go to another group and express your need there. And what happened is of all the groups that express their needs, the majority had their needs met. So the moral to the story or the solution here is that people often think that luck is this thing that will just happen to you, but we're not recognizing that a characteristic of people that we need to be lucky are people who are always expressing a need and offering assistance for others who express needing things. And so if you want something or you want to increase your luck, you should say it out loud with conviction, and should also make yourself available to also help people fulfill their luck.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is why I think I saw that Instagram and it could have just been like fake Instagram news. It's gonna create a thing where you can create lists where you do a story that only certain people can see, like different to close friends. But it's like wider lists and everything in the whole time I need something between close friends and everyone else, and that's what I need. Damn.
Speaker 1: Do you have a lava lamp at home?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh you do? Whereabouts?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: It's in the cupboard. I don't have it out. We have enough powerpoints.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because what's actually in it? Like waks, It's wax.
Speaker 3: So when you turn on the lamp, it melts the wax and then the wax moves around in the liquid.
Speaker 1: Are you serious? I would have never known what it was. That's so cool.
Speaker 2: They get very hot, they do. I love the look somebody's wondering. Is this a bit juvenile for me?
Speaker 3: Now? I love a love lamp. I should bring mine out. That's a good shout. Yeah, get clacks a lamp with a lava lamp.
Speaker 2: Well, I saw these lava lamps on TikTok and there was like a socio cultural backing to why they're interesting. I'm gonna play the crab. It all makes sense once you see.
Speaker 1: It's from Jason ka Pagan play the Titiki.
Speaker 5: Well, this rack of one hundred lava lamps is not just an art project. That rack of lava lamps is key to how internet security works. In fact, it can be found at Cloudfare, the IT web security company. The key to any kind of computer security is random numbers. You need to be able to generate a random value that only the user has that they can use to log in. If a hacker could guess that value.
Speaker 6: Then it's no good. So in order to generate truly random values, they have cameras pointed at this wall of lava, lamps taking pictures of it, and the exact position of the drops of lava determined the values.
Speaker 1: What I'm not gonna lie? Do you think I honested what he was saying.
Speaker 3: I'm giving you the benefit of the job.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm never going to understand what computers are about.
Speaker 3: You sure, Actually you've got a good grip on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you really changed my life when you said that, Like, all of our assets are somewhere they not, Like the cloud is a physical place.
Speaker 1: Why do they call it cloud then?
Speaker 3: To confuse us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, up in the cloud. What's going to happen when everyone dies to our digital data?
Speaker 3: What happens to everything when everything is gone?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: The memories remains.
Speaker 2: On that note, guys, I will be going to the vending machine now to go get a little chocolate too.
Speaker 6: Pep the mood up you've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.