Speaker 1: Lay everybody, Welcome back to Tennis FM. You're on with Fridgie and the Chod. Final weekend of the Australian Open twenty twenty six. Much excitement in the air. Huge match is happening all weekend. Let's check in with the Chod in the Tennis FM traffic chopper. How's it out there, Thanks Fridgie.
Speaker 2: The chad man in the sky almost didn't fit in the chopper. That's how wide I am up here. And let me tell you, it is crazy out there at the Australian Open. I'm looking down and he's bumping a bumper. No doubt they're all here gearing up for the big event.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Peggy Goo is playing tomorrow at at Bargart Court, one of the courts. I can't tell. I'm so far up in the chopper. No vibe is electric piper hot sick flowing through the goddamn arenas.
Speaker 1: All right, that's enough from the choad.
Speaker 2: I'm still up here.
Speaker 1: I know here for five hours.
Speaker 2: You're gonna let me talk.
Speaker 1: I'm in ball please, all right, thank you? Reggie. Oh Chad, gotta get the bear back. The bear will be back hopefully soon. That's Lizzy chowed out before we check in with what's happening in Hollyweird. Let's play our hit song of the day.
Speaker 2: Show me Perfectennis this stuff?
Speaker 1: Oh no way, Oh Carlitos, he's got cramps again.
Speaker 4: My mind?
Speaker 1: Just how did he get through? Sasha Zverev looks like he chokes again, my mind.
Speaker 2: That's some Spanish fortitude.
Speaker 1: Verrev is broken hearted Australia.
Speaker 2: He has departed my mind.
Speaker 1: What a five said?
Speaker 2: Epic though, Oh Calitos, there is a little catch my my no back one the other match ravo. Oh my god, god, I hope Choud got that up in the choppa because.
Speaker 1: That was good, wasn't it. That was amazing stuff. Our producer said, ABBA's gonna sue us.
Speaker 2: But Abba wouldn't do that. No, surely ABBA's enjoying the spectacle of the Australian Opening, what we're bringing to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're huge PLA fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I cannot imagine that they're not. Mike what, Oh my god, I can't even like I'm still buzzing. I'm buzzing, but you're buzzing from the piper hide. Sick. I'm buzzing from the piper hide. Sick. I'm buzzing from.
Speaker 1: The Choppa ride as always.
Speaker 2: B rating from the chopper, vibrating from something else.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, as always, our sponsor is Piper Hide sick. Guzzle it up, your thirsty jerks. Ah, you're not fully sick unless you're piper Hide sick. We're just excited to the adrenaline is still going. I stayed up watched the second man semi final, so I didn't get to bed until about three am.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, It's crazy. It was fully sick. Yesterday we went to piper Heads. It was fully piper hype. We went to watch what can only be described I think I'm not exaggerating here, one of the greatest sporting events that I've witnessed live like that. Five said. It was exhausting at the end, Like I felt like everyone was like we.
Speaker 1: Were cramping up.
Speaker 2: We were cramping just watching it. I called the video to look at my groin as well.
Speaker 1: I was like, get up here, that's prime growing time. We should say. You're talking, of course about the first time. The Alkorazverev match, absolute epic. It's the tournament is back.
Speaker 2: I mean, we talked about it yesterday. It was like, would you, in like a hypothetical world, would you trade some dull matches for some absolute historical kind of events that will be talked about for years to come. And I can say yes is the answer that was all worth it?
Speaker 1: Like what to day. I know we were there at the Alcorazverev match where we have we were Oh my god, I have to say that it was looking like it was going to five sets. Yes, Sam Tong and I sitting in primo media seeds.
Speaker 2: It's crazy how good the media seeds. I've been joking this week, being like can I get tickets? Just turns out I can get tickets for you, for me, just for me.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: But they're like as good as it gets in the media section. There is one catch though, you can't really show crazy amounts of emotion.
Speaker 1: You're meant to be impartial, unbiased.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're surrounded by people with like laptops tweeting to world feeds in languages we don't understand. Yeah, and it's hard. It is really hard to hold it in.
Speaker 1: Oh when we did not No, we're high five and we're jumping around.
Speaker 2: It's crazy of there.
Speaker 1: It was like the most roller coaster of a match I think I've ever well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so different to some of those other five said epics, even the Sinner Novak match potentially, where it's like you can kind of get a grip on what's going on. But there were points in that first semi final where I was like, I truly don't know what's going on right now. Carlos wasn't running. It's like, is he is he tanking on purpose? Is he just kind of being like part of me thinks he was like, I'll just lose the next two sets, let myself recover, and then I'm going to try to take it in the fifth. It was hard to know what was going on. Yeah, I mean the momentum shift as well, like all of a sudden, they're playing the best tennis you've ever seen, and then it's just horrific tennis. In points.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a beguiling match.
Speaker 2: Beguiling I don't know what that would mean. But you've never been beguiled, not really, no, is it? I think you were beguiled yesterday I was beguiling.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot to talk about here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was going to say the most beguiling thing for me of the day was that when you leaned over to me during the four set and you said, if this goes to five, I think I got a bounce because I got to go have dinner with my girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I said it more like this, I said, with my girl friend. My girlfriend. No, so I because of Kalitos taking quite a lot of time really winding down that clock before every serve. You know, we were looking there was some time spent. I'm just a man here trying to organize my day scheduling. I hadn't really spoken to my partner, and then I was looking at the time and I'm like, I guess I got to go. I kind of thought he might win the fourth. And then as soon as you said are you you were like, what the You started swearing at me and you were like the other journalists looked around. They were like, God, who do these guys work for? They're not very professional, and you're like.
Speaker 1: Well, someone literally asked us, who do you work for?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll get to that, but I want you to justify.
Speaker 2: Just as soon as you said it was like one of those moments of clarity that people not an epiphany, but it was close to it. When you were like, we're watching a semi final of a Grand Slam that's about to go to five sets between two of the best play Potentially we're looking at one of the all time grades as well. We don't know where he's going to get to and you've got to go to dinner with your girl with your girl friend. And then I was like, oh my god, Yeah, what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 1: The girlfriend who you live with, who you see every day, So a meal with her is just come on, it's going to be boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I texted her and I'm like, I'm staying for the fifth and she was like, of course, absolutely. She was like, we're not going to dinner. She wasn't in any like. She wasn't. We were going to meet at a restaurant. She wasn't. She was like, no, I'm at home, you're watching the tenant. She I don't know where I was. Maybe my I was having growing issues as well. I needed as well. But it was a one little lap. But you know what it's like out there, Like we were in those seats for four hours and you kind of yeah, we were working, you know, there was a bit of work. We have to work. It's crazy have.
Speaker 1: We we're writing a song a day.
Speaker 2: I mean you, I'm not putting a lot of work into the song. It's mainly you.
Speaker 1: It told me thank you. I wanted I was just wanted that credit. But you know, you go, you do the long then it's time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then it's me. No, then it's errol ates man as well. You go a bit loopy, you go a bit lou It's.
Speaker 1: So hard to sit out there and enjoy tennis with one of your good friends, isn't.
Speaker 2: It in some of the best seats of the world, because it's like where the media seeds are. I don't know, all around us. The only way I can describe the majority of the people around us. It's not all of them, but are like older white people, a lot of the people are, which suggests to us the ticket price for the tickets around where the media seats are very expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very expensive, very expensive.
Speaker 2: So you've got to say we're lucky ducks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I'm glad that you have some appreciation and gratitude because I say, because it was just the I was so insulted at the thought of you going that like then throughout the fifth set, whenever there is you're.
Speaker 2: Still getting annoyed. Yes, you do. Turn to me being like you're then trying to think of like fun little like foods, yeah, foods Like you were like, oh, you could be starting your entree now, and I'm like, and you like, imagine your side Salid, I'm like, shut the hell up, all right, I was going, yeah, you could be just save to break point. I don't have time to worry about your little clever food that you can cutting in your head.
Speaker 1: Swinning over going. You could be having corn on the car, yeah, and hearing about your girlfriend's day.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that's when I like, I snapped at that. I was like, is if we get corn on the cob? Actually made me insane? Like you think I'm going to eat corn on the cob on a Friday night?
Speaker 1: Who knows your decision making is.
Speaker 2: It was all off. It was all off. To be fair, it was all off. But I'm so glad. I stated it was one of the great experiences at that The The final point was it was like an experience I've never had it a sporting event. Just everyone stood up. The media section stood up and just like.
Speaker 1: Applauded flying and the yeah yeah people were thrown their laptops like it was the graduation hat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally iPads just taking out. People rose in front of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get into the weeds of the match in a second.
Speaker 2: How are we going to do this, because I feel like we've come in so excited, just being like.
Speaker 1: But this is what the people want, this is what people want.
Speaker 3: What people want.
Speaker 1: There was a lady sitting in front of us, obviously in paid top dollar, paid to and she was said she was having a good time.
Speaker 2: She was having a great time.
Speaker 1: But at one point she turned around to us, looked at our media seats and badges and said, who do you guys work for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not like impressed, not like, oh my god, who do you guys work for?
Speaker 6: This?
Speaker 2: She was like who do you work for? And then did you say the tutor?
Speaker 1: She said?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: She goes it can't be anything serious? Yeah, and then she was I think. I was like, oh, yeah, like the Tudor Advocates.
Speaker 2: Which is like a satirical newspaper. It's like the Onion or something. I said Nickelodeon. I wanted her to think we were like kids TV hosts or something that it just stumbled our way in. Well, she was. She also did something incredibly annoying. I don't know if you've ever had this before. She had quite long, flowing hair, quite nice hair.
Speaker 1: Really this is creepy.
Speaker 2: Now, Well, no, I'm just saying, like, I'm sure she was proud of her hair. But yeah, I mean, fair to take chowed Violet. But she would like, let this is actually so annoying. She would like, she's in the seat in front of me, her long hair, she would have she had it out the back, over the back of her seat, so it's just on my knees at all time. I'm like squirming around trying to get the hair off me. You were in little shorts, so it was tiny shorts. It's like there was more. There was so much hair on me. It looked like I had a small dog on my lap. That's how much hair was just flowing all. She did apologize one and then, but then the apology was like it's she was apologizing for the rest of the match. That's what it seemed like, because then there was hair everywhere.
Speaker 1: Oh, the apology then she thought, gave her like.
Speaker 2: Free rein to let the hair go everywhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, we're halfway through the fifth set, she's been very vocal. She's standing up. I don't know who she's going for. She's cheering points for everyone, cheering, going crazy. Halfway through the full set, just gets I'm like, look looking at her, she gets TikTok. I've just starts having a scroll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she was. I don't know if you saw it, because I kept. You know when someone's sitting in front of you and you start looking at everything they're looking at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: She was watching highlights from the Medvedev Nadol match great final from which is an awesome match. Yeah, but this match is written for us, like we're looking at another all time grace.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People need to stay in the present. A guy she was with two seats down, he was He had an ear piece in and I think he was listening to commentary. He was doing what I can only describe as one of the most annoying traits.
Speaker 1: He would do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, no wonder. He had that horrible look on his face. He had his fifth clenched a few times. He was clenchy, but every time a ball would go out he would just yell out. It's like, brother, we've got umpires out there, We've got the good folk there at Chubb doing close calls, like close calls like we don't need him to go.
Speaker 1: Out yeah let well no, no, no, he I mean again, emotion overcoming everybody. He hated alert.
Speaker 2: He did hate at more than do you think he didn't know what a let was? I think because he would be like he would actually make that noise and then like hold his face on a first serve flet.
Speaker 1: It got it well, I mean speaking on the serves, it got hard for observe if you missed a first serve. People were so on Alcoraz's side. There was one guy that kept going.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and couldn't hold it in, and it would get so much laughter from the crowd because it felt so real and you could feel like, I don't know what the crowd split was, maybe eighty twenty outcrowds, maybe more even I don't know. It was kind of quite amazing. But he would go yes and you could just feel big everyone to feel like that's what I was thinking too. Yes, Yes, it was amazing. The Spanish support was something was like it was unbelievable. All these Spanish flags, people, people, and they kind of, I feel like, started getting him pumped up. He was just standing there like fist clenched. Alcaraz, this is looking at the crowd and people would stand up. This is only to hold serve.
Speaker 3: The time.
Speaker 1: Man, it was amazing how how liked and likable Alcoraz is that he can hold serve and pump his fists in the air and get the crowd totally behind him. And the other player does that, You're like, what a dick he just held serve.
Speaker 2: I totally yeah, and that's gotta be Look at times I thought maybe it pumped faever, do you know what I mean? He saw that and he'd be like, I'm gonna show you, because I mean, Alcaraz was in that lower point I think with where his body was and maybe mentally as well, that he was holding serve. Everyone was cheering it and then just getting like destroyed. Then when he was trying to like break back the other way, and it seemed like Parev was maybe feeding on it. But then I think eventually it just wore him as well. His body was breaking down. I think mentally he was just cooked in that last game.
Speaker 1: Well, you the last set, you could see he was staggering a little bit and he just his legs were gone. I mean it was five and a half hours of tennis.
Speaker 2: It was so long.
Speaker 1: When's the last time you did any think for five and a half hours besides sleep?
Speaker 2: And yeah, cry, yeah, cry, I mean yeah, crying is a bit longer than that, I guess, but yeah, sleep not a great sleeper, to be honest, and not yet so just crying, I guess, just crying.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But yeah, five what was it? Five fourteen? No longer than that? Five twenty seven, five twenty seven. Yeah, yeah, it was long, but it felt right, do you know what I mean? Like the payoff was worth the amount of time. It's fair of with one, I don't know, it would have been interesting to see the dynamic.
Speaker 1: Just think you could have been having a potato salad.
Speaker 2: With a potato salad, that's good. Yeah, okay, spinach kish would have been a good option. A funny option as well.
Speaker 1: I will say with the Spanish support was great, the fantastic. The camera kept panning to one lady.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, so I was in love with that lady. She was like in tears one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And the thing is like a lot of Spanish flags, a lot of Spanish support. Yeah, but is it unfair that a German player if someone's waving a German flag and screaming, it's got bad kind of time?
Speaker 2: Well there was yeah, yeah, but the only the way they can do it. There was one German guy that was he was making a splash on the screen because he had like a crazy like top hat on and was wearing like a like a weird colorful techno shirt that said Berlin draped in a German flag. And I think that's the German side of it. You've got to lean into. You can't do the chance, basically, you just can't.
Speaker 1: It's tough and they know that they.
Speaker 2: Understand the situation. But yeah, but there was also the Spanish supporters the rules, and they were yelling out things in Spanish. We were trying to decipher they were yelling. They were like constructive and supportive. It was beautifu. They would yell o at like because you're by, yeah, I'm just by so yeah obviously speak Spanish, yeah bilingual, Yeah, well I'm not. I speak a little bit of Spanish because my partner. But that would say like little by little, like poco poco, and the would say it's dumbas gontigo which means we are with you, like so beautiful. But then there was one white guy who kept yelling out in like a Mexican accent, you can't do it, Carlos, which didn't feel right, but you can't argue with the results. He did win.
Speaker 1: He did do it.
Speaker 2: He did do it.
Speaker 1: I mean, we'll just go through the notes from the match that I made and then just jump in if anything pops out of you. Like I said, we missed the first set. I just know Alcaaz had a break late and then was able to close that first set. Zverev he says he regrets most the second set because he was up five to two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wouldn't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I mean it made all the difference, and because then Carlos got back on serve pushed it to a tie break, and I was thinking the way Alcaaz throws himself around the court. Of course, this has been observation that has been made a million times. It's a Nadal esque totally. But then Nadal's body eventually caught up with him and I was like, oh, man, Like I was like, surely he's going to have some injury issues in the future. Rightly, that's speculating as to how he plays right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he might win you know, fifteen majors by the time he's twenty six or something. You know, like who knows well.
Speaker 1: So that stat that he's the youngest man and to be an all four Slam finals, and then if he wins, he'll be the youngest man to win all Slam finals.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It's an awesome storyline. Vera serve kind of went to hell late in the second set, and then yeah, Carlos was kind of toying with them in the second set tiebreak. There was a lot of those drop shots. Yeah, push him to the back there, the drop shot yesterday. He always is.
Speaker 2: But like you, when you're there and you see him in like person, at the speed which he takes off the ball to do it, it is so impressive. Yeah, when he doesn't pull it off, you're like, oh my god, what the hell? It's crazy. What's wrong with what he's wrong with? You, dude?
Speaker 1: But also Zverev is like, what six foot six he's getting up to that ball.
Speaker 2: Oh, totally, he can move. He can move. It's kind of like these modern big tennis guys. They just they move their quick their legs are just so long, like you watch cineplayer. They can just get there. You don't think they can, but they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The highlight is when they and it happens a few times in the fourth set. I feel like till the in the third sorry till the injury kind of happened. That we're going toe to toe at the baseline, whipping four hands fair at full hand. It's just a beast.
Speaker 1: Man all credits. There was some four hands to like save break points like late in the match that were the best I'd ever seen them.
Speaker 2: Just a few that he whipped down the line. You're just like, wow, I know, just speechless. Touch.
Speaker 1: I kept looking at you, going, man, you could be having yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. What do you got this time?
Speaker 1: You could be having like a muffin?
Speaker 2: What's your muffin? Who's having a muffin at dinner time? That's crazy crazy.
Speaker 1: So Carlos takes the second set. It looked like, for all the world, this is going to be another straight sets victory. I did feel that way, which is par for the course for this tournament. The second week of this tournament, and then this in the third set is where things got wild. I thought it was an injury at four to four in the third. Uh so did Carlos Apparently yep, because he took a medical time out, which angered Zvere.
Speaker 2: Was very of got furious and started ranting in German. In German, he was, yeah, which.
Speaker 1: Was discussed before.
Speaker 2: It's like he should have popped on a little funny hat and a little colorful shirt and tried to be more of a rave guy. But he I mean rightly, so you could see why he was angry. But I guess if you don't say it's cramps, how do you know it's cramps.
Speaker 1: If you don't say it's cramps.
Speaker 2: Well you would have to say it's cramp, do you know what I mean? Like so Carlos, he was like, it could have been something else. I don't know. I was worried about the that I could have pulled something. The growing is a complex area of the human body.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, he's twenty two, So what would you call those phase.
Speaker 6: Of his liss?
Speaker 2: I would say, you know, it's a young man exploring his body getting out there.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't call it prime growing time.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that's where you're going with it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I thought it was the most obvious.
Speaker 2: Can I say I remembered nothing from the last.
Speaker 1: Podcast and that was prime growing time.
Speaker 2: That was a chub close call, is what that was?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well he said it could have been an aductor, which I believe is the same thing that happened to Mazzetti. And he then took a medical time out. Zarah was adamant it was it was cramps. It was obviously, But what's the so what's the physio? Comes out right and get a medical time out for cramps?
Speaker 2: I know this, right, So but you tell you like, I need the physio because I'm worried it might be an abductor or whatever. And then he's rubbing away, like, surely the physio is like a chub close another job close call. Well, I mean I was watching his hands. It was a chop close. Yeah, but like surely he knows it would be different treatment for different injuries, and if you have crams, you'd be doing something differently. All we can see is he's just rubbing away down there. I don't know what he's trying to do, what he's trying to release, what he's trying to get out, I don't know yeah, but but it obviously wasn't cram because otherwise that would be cheating, and Carlitos not a cheater.
Speaker 1: True. I mean, well, I think to all the world it looked like he did something on that chot and then then he's like stretching, and you know, like it looked well, that.
Speaker 2: Is the other thing, because it pulled up. He pulled up immediately after a shot, which would suggest maybe it was something else exactly right, whereas a cramp I think they I mean, it does come suddenly, but I think he would start to feel the process of the muscle getting tense and wanting to spasm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it starts localized, right, And then he was kind of staggering around for a good hour and a half. He was on one leg. Dude.
Speaker 2: That was the crazy stuff when he couldn't move and he was just like throwing down like one hundred and thirty kilometer first serves, and you're like and hitting winners, don't get me wrong, like hitting some unbelievable winners. But that's when the match kind of took on this whole weird dynamic. It was like, do you know the classical music piece flight of the bumblebee of course. Yeah, it's kind of that was a similar journey. It takes you and it goes down, and it goes up, and then it comes all the way to this incredible crescendo at the end. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really shoehorned in some classical music knowledge.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you want me to try another one? Okay? It reminded me.
Speaker 1: Of no, no, no, I want you to say, like a music you really listened to. It reminded me of a Vichy of a VICI. Hey, brother, Ip, don't bring that in. I'll get sad. Yeah. Well, it was fifteen games basically where he somehow still kept it close and I thought he obviously his body was better in the fifth set, I thought he dialed back in, but he.
Speaker 2: Still lost the story broken immediately.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what added that more complex layer of that last set, because you're like, he is fighting and it looked like he was getting on top. But full credit to is fair of he is just doing what he needed to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he then in his press conference, Veruv said I should have beat him quicker in those two sets before the fifth, the third and the fourth he.
Speaker 2: Really knock him down.
Speaker 1: Well, just so his body was still cramped up in the fifth because he was clearly feeling better by the fifth set. Yeah, and then that's it's very surved for it at five to four, and the crowd was going nuts, crazy, dude. Every time Carlos won a point, it was wild.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. And then the nervous energy is just like, oh my, Like you're just sitting there, I'm like boding my nails. Just the other journals are tapping away. I don't know how they can be tapping away on their laptop. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that sets up the final, which will be Carlos Alcorazm versus Novak Djokovic. Let's talk about the other semifinal, Djokovic versus Sinner.
Speaker 2: Did you think, like in your little drain dory, did you think that these were going to be the two that we're going to be playing?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 2: I mean, it couldn't be better, could it. It's like, and especially both of them getting through those two matches the way they did, It's like, I feel like on a physicality level, they might be on a somewhat even par even though Novak is what, what is one hundred and thirty eight? I'm not sure exactly how old he is, but one hundred and thirty eight exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's got it the same Sonna.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in the village, the retirement village they live.
Speaker 1: Novak. Okay, so this was lots of.
Speaker 2: Unpack here because this was it's like that match finishes and you're like, whoa, what we've got our money's worth. And then it's like Novak and Yanak were like, you know, we're going to take it to another level.
Speaker 1: You had a rush home too.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, yeah, that's pretty good. Well, the Argentinians would call it payeesha pronunciation thing and then go to abia abitha instead of.
Speaker 1: Carl.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 1: The listeners love to hear that. I love it.
Speaker 2: Probably offensive stuff as well. Apologies, that's all right.
Speaker 1: So there's a nice little moment in the locker rooms of the Djokovic top in Alcoraz. Alcoraz is warming down after it.
Speaker 2: He's on the.
Speaker 1: Uh and Djokovic you know, says to him like, you know, you can wrap that up any quicker. I'm an old man.
Speaker 2: Is that what he said?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome, something to that effect.
Speaker 2: I thought he said, what up, bro, something like that? What have you been up to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what's how's it been hanging?
Speaker 2: I love the Carlos is on the bike. I know they have to warm down, but the optics of it is always so funny. I'm like, why are you so worn out?
Speaker 6: Me?
Speaker 2: You're well, you're now just doing a few kys on the bike. Say they use that energy out there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Save it for the final? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The match Djokovic Cinner started much like the previous semi final, and I thought it was just gonna be a three set totally for Center. The first set, Center got off to a quick start just like stayed ahead of him.
Speaker 2: I played pretty well that first set, but you know, he went down the break and it is what it is, you know. But Sina was looking on fire.
Speaker 1: His serve was huge. Yeah, I forget the exact stet, but it was something like twenty six aces to Novak's twelve. Yeah, throughout the match.
Speaker 3: So uh.
Speaker 1: The second set is when this started to get interesting. Djokovic dug In started clobbering his forehand, goes up a break three one, and at four to two, Jocko's serving seemed to hurt his shoulder.
Speaker 2: And he seemed to hurt everything in his body.
Speaker 1: Well this is a classic Djokovic thing. Yeah, is he kind of will flail around and fall into his seat and let you know, like it's like robodope.
Speaker 2: He vomited at one point. Did he into a towel? No, that was Alcras, No he No, Novak had a towel over his face. Dug, look like if that have we got that on the cameras like that, please do actually, please do. But he like maybe it was robodote, maybe all theatrical. Maybe it's you know, grunt gate in a different form. I don't know, but he was he was like feeling it.
Speaker 1: All he was and considering that his last two matches were walkers, You're like, what why And it's like nighttime, it's cool condition.
Speaker 2: He might have called something off rod labor in the sauna, potentially.
Speaker 1: Flavors in the air every day and every n But he took that second set. Third set, there was like more of the kind of falling around on the bench and the towel over the head.
Speaker 2: It still seemed third set, You're like, well done. Novak took a set off him. But sinner will run this one.
Speaker 1: I thought, center and four from there, yeah, Cinner. Look like that first set, it looked like Cinner was doing to Djokovic what Jokovic has been doing to people forever, like getting crazy sliding backhands on across you know, cross court shots and just deep, just insane defense getting everything back. And the thing that fascinated me the most about this match was it wasn't lockdown Djokovic, which he's been known to do in the past, and just get every ball back until the other go yeah, yeah, yeah, it was up. He was lace in the ball, he was going for winners, he was going for broke and it was awesome, But.
Speaker 2: I guess you kind of have to because the Sinner's back there. And when he plays like this, like you said, it is kind of like prime Djokovic, Like it's just a wall of defense. He's sending it back with heat, he's getting to everything. It's like the court becomes so much narrow and it hit a winner past him, and I guess Jokovic was like, well, whatever, I'm one hundred and thirty two, this is probably my could be my last chance to do it. I'm just going to have a swing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was awesome, it was amazing, And did you stay up for the whole thing.
Speaker 2: No, you know, Jules had something in the oven and I had to.
Speaker 1: Sit down to it. I tried your girlfriend.
Speaker 2: I think she stayed up. I got to the fourth I started falling seven. The fourth sat and then I woke up and I just had to go to bed. And then I woke up at about three am because it was playing on my mind.
Speaker 1: You had to get up early and eat crumpets with your girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Crumpets. Yeah, we're in Australia. I went to a beautiful cafe and had avocado and toast.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, someone's doing well. So the fourth set, it was just back and forth, each guy taking a set right up to the fifth and then Djokovic goes up a break in the fifth. It was so much tension. There was one service game for Jokovic when he was up a break where he went down love forty and then somehow got.
Speaker 2: Through that game. Yeah, well what's his dad? Novak saved sixteen or eighteen breakpoints.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just amazing.
Speaker 2: Crazy. I know, it's like that doesn't that's not good for your insight, Like you need to say hot dog there after doing that.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he is, you know, not only the best of all time the boat, as I say, but he's also like just been the mentally strongest athlete on a court I think I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well he has to be because he's been a chaser's entire.
Speaker 1: Oh god, don't start that.
Speaker 2: It's just been chasing. Never been a front runner, never been a front runner, and.
Speaker 1: His dominant never been dominant.
Speaker 2: Just always a little career journeyman, scratching out of victory here and there, a good old odd he should be Australian. He's an aussy battler.
Speaker 1: That guy. Well this is uh, he said, the most support he's ever gotten from the Australian crowd.
Speaker 2: Well, it felt like, I mean, he has a complex relationship with Australia and it feels like the tides turned. I feel like now it's kind of universal support. It often happens in like older age when people they you know, they realize they have to celebrate the things they have. And very lucky to see Prime Novak do so much of his you know, historical work here at the Australian Open and it's like, how can you not be tip of your hat to that kind of a performance.
Speaker 1: Of course, Well in that sense, Carlos being beloved already Novak and like you said, is complex history with Australia, but the crowd getting behind him in this match. Who where do allegiances lie?
Speaker 2: Truly do not know. I really do not know. I think it becomes of like, what storyline do you value more? Do you want to see the young buck win become the youngest person to win a full slams or do you want to see the goats the greatest of all time at another one and become the.
Speaker 1: Oldest and become the all time Grand Slam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, go past Margaret Courts.
Speaker 1: So twenty five, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it's take your pick. I don't know. I guess you can't lose really, but if you're in the crowd cheering, I don't know, what's this that? So this is Novak's thirty I want to say, thirty seventh Grand Slam final.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. It's his eleventh Australian Open and he's never.
Speaker 2: Last, Yeah, which is a terrifying statistic. Yeah, absolutely terrify.
Speaker 1: So he's won ten finals here and yet the crowd is still like, oh, we just st all don't know about this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I'm saying it's complex, it's very complex our relationship with him, but it is amazing. Thirty seven Grand Slam finals. It's like, that's so much of your career you only get four shots of it a year. And also he's won twenty four. Yeah, so it's like to be the greatest of all time. He's still hitting what like sixty percent victory rate in it. It's like phenomenal, phenomenal longevity.
Speaker 1: But it's okay, I'm well do predictions.
Speaker 2: He's also been the most serious podcast I think we've done.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think it's been our best. I think it's been our best, dude, but we're like, we're tennis heads. Now you are.
Speaker 2: I'm all in. I'm all in.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, even though you know you thought you might have to. We have to have a kill. Sorry, we have to.
Speaker 2: We have to whip this podcast out. In two minutes. I'm meeting a friend at sushi bowl.
Speaker 1: A friend a friend, Yeah, okay, yeah, you're going to have a maybe.
Speaker 2: I've got a zoom date. It's sushi bowl, all.
Speaker 1: Right, okay.
Speaker 2: A little sashimi exactly, a little sashimi brown rice Kinwa situation.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, kin what has happened to you? M Oh my god, what where's.
Speaker 5: Feel?
Speaker 1: It feels surreal to be honest. Jokovic takes it out in the fifth set his speech afterwards. I loved this line because Yannick had won the last five matches against.
Speaker 2: Jogra five and one, and he was like, and he'd lost the last five I think, is that correct?
Speaker 1: Something like that? Well, I just know in the last handful of matches Center, yeah, dominated, dominated, and h Djokovic. This line was awesome. He said, yeah, Center had my number, so I changed my number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sick, Come on, it's cool. Shit, what's crazy is then he put on a leather jacket and lit a cigarette as well. He hit a jukebox. I don't know where the jew box came from. Col that's crazy, no Vak Fonzarelli. So that wraps up the semi final. What a day, What amazing day of tennis? Crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Australian openess, it's don't.
Speaker 2: Even gonna get better. Peggy Goo in our sights as well. We are the gooheads. It getting excited.
Speaker 1: So I am super pumped for the men's final on Sunday. Jakovic Alcaraz will see you know how they recover from two epic matches. In other news, the Aussies going strong in the doubles. Well Goodeki and Piers won the mixed up.
Speaker 2: It's not bad, is it? I thought I heard the national anthem ring out.
Speaker 1: But Coobler and Pullman's are still yet to play.
Speaker 2: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Are you? Are you? You're now the.
Speaker 2: I'm a doubles guy. I've always been a doubles guy. I like I like friendship, but I feel like I would you know, yesterday I tried to pump them up. I don't know if they listened. I would like to think I want to go after this. Do you know where they are right now?
Speaker 1: They're in the tunnels.
Speaker 2: They're in the tunnels. All right, I'm going to try to catch them and do a little inspiring pump up.
Speaker 1: What do you got? Okay?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Something like this would be like all right, the Brits put us on that wrong beach and a story was born Australia. The identity it's Marlbo, it's a vibe, it's chowed in the chopper, it's everything. Get out there and show this goddamn country what we're made of. If anyone got a tissue. I'm crying.
Speaker 1: That was beautiful? Is that beautiful? I loved it?
Speaker 2: I I mean have written something.
Speaker 1: Dude, another another. That's that's the motto of this podcast. I'm super pumped. Another blockbuster match tonight. Women's Final Arena Sabalanca, Elena, Rebecca.
Speaker 2: You've got Rebecca.
Speaker 1: I got Rebeccena in three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm taking sabal Anca mainly because my girlfriend is off sabal Anka. Yeah, also has this quickly before I know we're going to go through. We've got a great interview coming. But my girlfriend wakes up this morning. First thing she says, she goes, did what was the score? Did sin A win? And I go novak wan and she goes what And then she goes, I was having a dream And I was like, what was the dream? She goes, Pat Rafter was cooking me a MINESTRONI. I don't take from that what you will. That's just how I woke up this morning.
Speaker 1: Right, And then now you have to go eat minnestroni with your girlfriend instead of watching the Women's Final.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's gonna and she's calling me Pat now, which is really weird. It makes me wear bonds. Undie tak my shirtf.
Speaker 1: Our interview today. This is with Coco Garf. It's Lizzie and I from a I don't know about a week and a half ago. Coco, you know, had a great tournament and then in the second week came up against Fiddelina and had a bad day out there, but we still had a great chat with her. Sam for our audio listeners, was at this interview, but again sack quietly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This was before they kind of believed in me, you guys, and it wouldn't really let me speak. So I just sat in the corner.
Speaker 1: And I said, let the boy watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was passing Cocoa notes. I was like, say this, they'll get a real kick out of it. She ignored me pretty much. But it was a great interview and it was good to watch you guys work real professionals. I learn a lot.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Brett and Lexi from the AO Rap podcast.
Speaker 6: We admit Mike and Lizzie are hilarious, but if you've heard enough of them banging on and just want to hear some actual tennis talk, match analysis and reaction, come and hang with us every day of the main draw.
Speaker 2: The AO Rap available wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Ah, welcome back to pot Labor Arena. We have one of our favorite guests today, co Co Garfers here.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 1: How excited are you to see me again?
Speaker 7: As long as you're not playing any games.
Speaker 1: Well we can settle it.
Speaker 7: Oh gosh, another l for me today.
Speaker 1: I won't let you, sir.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you? Yeah, my going in that.
Speaker 1: Awesome to have you here. What do you think of the studio?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's cool. It's pretty. Did they get to see it or yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, I think so. Well here here's the thing. There is a little East drag in here for you.
Speaker 7: Oh like for me to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's directly behind you.
Speaker 3: Oh what why we look so serious?
Speaker 4: Everyone looks serious?
Speaker 1: Looks Okay, yeah, thank god. I gave Taylor an old vintage racket. At least you get.
Speaker 7: At a modern one. Oh my gosh, do.
Speaker 1: You like that? I actually painted that myself.
Speaker 3: Oh I was very creative, to be honest.
Speaker 1: So, Coco, you were watching the one point slam the.
Speaker 4: Other of us.
Speaker 2: I believe, yeah, you're actually.
Speaker 1: It is your hitting partner, Johan, yes, smoke me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he did he didn't do bad. I saw the passing shot. He really wanted the millions.
Speaker 1: You remember that he had a pass.
Speaker 7: Passing back in on you.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 7: But you, I don't know how you got.
Speaker 3: You lost some qualities and somehow you were on the main It seemed like a little bit of rignis. Yeah. I never heard nobody losing qualities and make it into the main draw, considering it wasn't the last round of.
Speaker 1: Qualities as in the Yeah that you're confusing me with some other generic white.
Speaker 3: Oh andy, Oh yes, you guys, Oh that was him.
Speaker 7: My bad, I am confusing you. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I kind of looked similar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there was a few people who lost some qualities made it, Like Boslova, she lost some qualities and she made it. Futva beat Karina Busta and somehow he still got to play. So there was a few rigness going on, throwing down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to hand this backstraight to that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm handing it to Craig Tyley.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get him on the phone.
Speaker 1: But you took part in it, so if it was surely you would have been told to Oh is that why you missed the servant?
Speaker 3: No, I missed a serve that was going to happen regardless. That was gonna happen regardless, But I just felt bad for some of the people that lost and didn't get the chance.
Speaker 1: Well, we've been playing the game the one hundred for the past few years. You've come in every time I'm undefeated against you.
Speaker 7: Yes, you are.
Speaker 1: Should I offer you redemption on the little pingk.
Speaker 7: If that's what you want.
Speaker 4: I think it is what Mike wants.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like you'll win, right, like I think.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not very good at ping pong for a tennis player, to be honest, No, I'm really not.
Speaker 1: You're too humble.
Speaker 7: No, I'm not. I'm serious.
Speaker 1: This is my games already.
Speaker 7: This is I'm just being honest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think maybe you got to play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this will be a one point slam. Okay, we don't have a million bucks to give away.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's fine. You have another price.
Speaker 1: Well, the steaks are Lizzie, you can explain it.
Speaker 4: You can we play paying pong or steinen pong.
Speaker 7: Oh, so you have to hit the person? Yeah, Oh, I'm not going to hit him.
Speaker 4: What can I hit him?
Speaker 7: You can hit him for me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the deal.
Speaker 1: Women are nice to.
Speaker 2: Look at it. I still look at I still look at.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Pod Labor Arena Stadium. We have Mike Goldstein, our very own and the amazing Coco Golf about to serve. Take it away Coco and she's in and Mike, oh, she's she's not very good of this. She's going to forehand. She's looking good.
Speaker 4: This is we have a relic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my gosh, I made my day.
Speaker 4: Coco said that I could hit Mike.
Speaker 8: Oh um in here all and I have the burst a haircut.
Speaker 7: Look at me