Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app. Got anything good? Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. Happy Friday, Reo, Happy Friday, Guys, Happy Friday, Pats, Hello Alex. Welcome to the Weekends. All right, so let's do double thumbs up. This is where we go around the team and we share what we're into this week. A couple of things for me. Brilliant, brilliant sports documentary. A really great sports documentary. Transcends whether or not you're a fan of that. And even if you're not an F one fan, you can watch Senna one of the most amazing documentaries ever made.
Speaker 1: You don't need to be into the sport.
Speaker 2: I would say that about this wild documentary on watching at the moment, about the nineties dynasty of the Dallas Cowboys, the Gambler and his money, about Jerry Rice and how we transformed the NFL actually and out the wild ride of the Dallas Cowboys when he brought the club of then nineties.
Speaker 1: It's a ten out of ten documentary. It is so good.
Speaker 3: I've seen some clips on Instagram.
Speaker 1: What a different time.
Speaker 2: Yes, all of it. And what a character that's Jerry rices as well. It's an amazing documentary. I'm halfway through it. I cannot stop thinking about it, googling about it. I don't know what a rusher is, you know, after he's probably go, oh, Terry, you know he's a he's a wide sacker or something.
Speaker 1: Is he legend? I don't know? Is that is that good?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 1: Is he one of the offenders or the defenders?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, all that tight ends, tight end, wide ends.
Speaker 1: How many of you were in this team? It's ridiculous's doing what and so and so got sacked? Did he what? It's from the team. It's just it's a plague. I saw a clip on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Is it the one where he drills oil and he's trying to h and that's how he makes his fortune?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All on this one. No, no, no, that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Gambler is money. Cannot recommend it enough. It's a brilliant documentary. And the other thing, I actually need some advice in our family. I find the TV shows, we watched them, but my wife loves sci fi. So this week I started to watch a sci fi I've done some research or what's good? Is anyone watching Foundation? Does it get better? We watched an episode last night and it seemed I'm not a massive sci fi fan. It feels like every TV show you've ever seen that sci fi there's something with a galactic federation. They're up to no good, and straight away first episode it's like the Galactins need the crayon crystals and we're not gonna let them have it so easily. And then there's some explosion in space and you're like, this is all very familiar. There's a shady foundation, there's a genius who they're going to arrest, and this was the first episode.
Speaker 1: It was like I've seen all this before.
Speaker 3: I find them so hard to follow sci fi. That's where I really struggle. Like I watched Dark the Netflix series, which is really good is it? But again like I had to be wikipediaing every single episode because I didn't exactly know what happened after I.
Speaker 2: Well, in episode one, the mad scientists have been banished to a planet Tyron and they say all this stuff like we know what that is.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yes, too much assumed knowledge.
Speaker 2: There's also a lot of very overhammy British cast in it.
Speaker 1: We're all that. Yes, well, the.
Speaker 2: Admiral's not going to get away that easy with it. You know, you just desperately be back on the West End theater. You're slamming it in this box sci fi script. How do you not laugh your head off when you're in that city tunic as well?
Speaker 1: And you go, Admiral, thank you for joining us. I'm a grown adult. I studied for ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but anyway, we're into it now, and that is my weekend. I have my own show with the Dallas Cowboys and then it's with Missus O'Connor.
Speaker 1: When watching this foundation, please.
Speaker 2: Tell me gets better or if there's a better sci fi show that we should be watching, please let me know. Christian O'Connell show podcast, Patsy, what are you into? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I've just finished a great book by Naomi Watts, who is leading the charge, helping to lead the charge in menopause awareness. Dare I say it? Everything I wish i'd known about menopause. So she featured on Oprah's recent Minopause Revolution show, very very open and doing amazing things. I recommend if this is you follow her if you're not already on Instagram she shares videos. It's really inspirational and like the forward in a book for the generations of women who've suffered in silence and for the next generations, may they suffer no more, which is exactly about it.
Speaker 1: And you know what, you're part of this movement? Yes, I know you.
Speaker 2: You start these two years ago, to be fair, Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: How now you know what you've kicked started now it's like a real movement that helping millions of women all over. Honestly, whenever you talk about a book like this, I get emails every and every single day from not just women going through it, but men as well that want to help support the partner and actually read it and find out more. So, when are you writing your book no More? Seriously, You've got the podcast and it's great what name's doing, but you've got to do this as well, because your story be unique.
Speaker 5: Yeah I will, I will. I need your help on that. I wouldn't even know where to start. I think this is what I do before a big project is I get so overawed with the enormity of the task that I and also that imposter syndrome where I think, what could I possibly write being honest here, what could I possibly write that anyone would Well.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what you could write.
Speaker 2: The only thing, listen, the only thing we're a master of is our own lives. Talk about your story, talk about what it's been like to do the podcast.
Speaker 1: What surprised you?
Speaker 2: You must have so many stories, some other women as well, that you can weave those together as.
Speaker 5: Well well, stories, so many common themes. We all say the same things like, so many common themes. And if it makes someone else, which is why I've done the podcast, If it makes someone else feel better about their journey and know that they're not alone, that is the biggest payoff for me.
Speaker 1: And I'm getting so many But that's when you write the book.
Speaker 2: When you go, why would I write the book? It's the same thing for the podcast. Why start podcasts? True, it's just the same thing and a slow exactly. And actually a book will mean that you going around and doing the interviews talking about it creates bigger rippors and helps more people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Do the book.
Speaker 5: I will do the book.
Speaker 2: I will. Yeah, it double thumbs up already it's maybe written.
Speaker 1: It's that good will come in the book to us.
Speaker 2: She didn't invite any of usus.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast, Ria, What are you into at the moment?
Speaker 3: I'm really been into this AVC News feature story of the Week. It has been a horrible, horrible news week. I think we all know that this is the perfect antidote. It's a story about this Ossie family who since this Ugandan kid whose name's Eddie, since he was four, they've been sponsoring him through the Child Sponsor Project and they've been writing letters. The kids have been saving up their pocket money since they were four, the same age as him, and sponsoring him and writing him letters every single month. He is now thirty six years old. He is a scientist. He's a researcher in America now in John Hopkins University studying HIV research. They still write letters.
Speaker 1: To each other.
Speaker 3: He has landed in Australia this week and has met the family for the first time.
Speaker 1: Why haven't we got him on the show? He's got so much it's giving me a goose bumps. It's incredible. There's a You might have seen the video on Instagram. It's been going crazy viral, so I didn't know what was going on as.
Speaker 3: A beautiful, beautiful moment where he comes out of the airport terminal and he sees the dad for the first time and they hug and it is it's the longest, the longest hug I've ever seen in my life. It's honestly like two minutes and he just collapses into his arms. He's got this big, beautiful grin and a story thirty years of sort of having his family but not really have like never meeting them, and now they've finally met in Australia. He's here for a medical conference actually, and now they finally had that moment. We're they're together as this complete family.
Speaker 1: It's really beautiful. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: If you just got on the ABC website or the ABC Instagram, you'll see the headline there.
Speaker 1: Beautiful stuff, Alex. What's it for you?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 4: Bit of a language warning on this one. It's called Pissants. It's a book written by Brandon Jack. I have been laughing every second page reading this book. It is searingly, brutally unbelievably great. And he's done so well. He's a former Sydney Swans player, a fringe player, it must be said, twenty eight games between well in the mid twenty tens. His brother is kier and Jack premiership winner in twenty twelve. His father is Gary Jack, rugby league legend played for New Wales, Baumin Australia as well.
Speaker 1: So serious sporting pedigree. But he's written this book.
Speaker 4: It's a fictional I guess, snapshot of a footy club and it is brutally funny. Like it's so so good. This kid is an amazing writer. He's only young and he's gone and written this book. He's first ever novel, and I just love it. It's just fantastic. It's a fictional account of a football club focusing on the everyday lives of these players. And you've got these young men like this, what forty four players on a team list, You're gonna get shenanigans. And this guy writes about these shenanigans the nicknames as well. I wanted to just read you quickly. Terry equals Terry top up. It refers to young players who are undrafted and respond positively to the olive branch extended by the club and the promise that if they're playable enough in the reserve grade team for a year and attend all training sessions then they may find themselves on the list at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: It is worth saying that this is never the case. What's the name of the book.
Speaker 4: It's called piss Ants by Brandon Jack. It is wonderful, very very funny. I just love it.
Speaker 1: Go and rd it. It's really good. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast