Speaker 1: Hi, guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life.
Speaker 2: I'm Pout, I'm Laura, and I'm Brittany.
Speaker 1: God, it takes us a while to get these start of these episodes going.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we've been here for what forty five minutes? Do you reckon?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But we just talk a lot of smack for a while.
Speaker 1: We tried to start it, but then Britt hit the camera and you know what, here we are, how are you being? I just hit the camera and we started again, and I said, let's leave it in there and talk about it.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: You said no, no, no, we won't and then straight away you've thrown me under the bus.
Speaker 2: I panicked. I panicked. It's always better when it's your idea. It's like we're in a relationship. You have to like that's what you do in a relationship.
Speaker 1: You like you slowly massage the other person, who guess the other person into.
Speaker 2: Them thinking that it's their idea. That was my idea.
Speaker 1: Oh anyway, guys, it is Tuesday, we are here. We have a great little episode for you today. I'm not gonna tell you about it yet. I'm not gonna tell you about it yet. I'm gonna keep your hook line in sincer.
Speaker 2: But Laura, you sort of went away this weekend.
Speaker 1: What a suspenseful beginning of an episode that was you're listening to it, but I won't tell you. Hangtight. Yeah, look I did. I went away this weekend. Except I didn't go away this weekend.
Speaker 2: We went down the road. This is the weirdest thing.
Speaker 1: And I didn't post this on my socials because I was so worried that like Daily Mail would pick this up and run a story and say that, like Matt Night had a big fight and I'd gone to stay somewhere else. So I booked a hotel about five hundred meters from my house, literally down the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, down the road. I was cutting laps past it, like waving up into the window.
Speaker 1: I booked it, and I booked it Friday night and Saturday night, and I stayed there. I checked in at five pm on Friday and I just went there to work. I worked all weekend because we've got some very exciting things in the pipeline, but it's very difficult to get work done when you got two kids, and everything had been mounting, and Matt pretty much was just like I'm going to book you into a hotel so you can get some work done.
Speaker 2: The question is did you get any work done? I did?
Speaker 1: Were you just like we'll having bubble buss, I'm ordering uberrites, I'm in bednaked, just masturbating for two days. I am masturbating for two days, and I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: It is call at research.
Speaker 1: You know how difficult it was to not crack open a bottle of wine from the minibar. I'm telling you the amount of self control I had to exercise. Well, there's literally a.
Speaker 2: Bottle shop downstairs.
Speaker 1: Are you telling me you did not have one wine when you had two nights alone in a hotel. May have had a cheeky wine, of course, just one a chiky bottle, But I genuinely, I genuinely went away. I went away to work. We weren't having a fight. There's nothing wrong. I went home for like two hours each day just to like give Matt a little break from the kids. And then I went back to the hotel and I worked.
Speaker 2: So it was successful. Yeah, and for like multiple reasons.
Speaker 1: Also, just like having two days break from Matt really reignited some things that had been dormant for a little while, Like what our sex life. So you had sex, you had great sex, you went away for two nights, You've got some work done, you had a bottleline, you came back and had great sex.
Speaker 2: The girl is back.
Speaker 1: So on in all, it was a successful weekend for you. Yes, well, I mean, got some work done, got lucky.
Speaker 2: Do you know what? It was a sex cessful weekend? Your girl is back? Absolutely fire. Okay.
Speaker 1: I do have a question for you though. All right, this is a great segue. Is this something that I know that I'm prepared for? Are you just going to throw this out there?
Speaker 2: No, it's something that happened to me on the weekend.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and I need to get your take on it because I'm not sure if I went too far.
Speaker 2: Okay, to help me?
Speaker 1: Want to so once again the suspense, Brittany, So, how many is too many?
Speaker 2: This is what I want to ask you. How many is too many? Okay?
Speaker 1: When you ask the question how many is too many? I'm guessing that we're talking about sexual partners. Okay, so you would think that, but we're not. Okay, on the weekend, produce Akeisha as you guys. Laura Is said, guys, we have something really signing. Come up and we're working non stop to bring it to you once again. The suspenseid God, this is the worst suspensable episode.
Speaker 2: You don't like. It's four minutes in and they've learnt nothing. Everything is coming at the end of the world is coming, but we won't tell you. Went no. So we're in homeworking.
Speaker 1: Producer Keisha sent me a text message, Hey, Britte, just heading up to Woolly's.
Speaker 2: Can I get you anything? I was like, oh my gosh, I'd be amazing. I was like, what did you want?
Speaker 1: Can you just get me a few avocados? I'm like, can you just get me two avocados? And she was like yeah, no worries, and I was like, amazing, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And then a few seconds went.
Speaker 1: Past and I was like, actually, do you mind just getting me some tomatoes and some salad stuff as well? And I had all this of salad stuff and she's like sure anyway. It just it just kept continuing. I ended up with thirty five items. I sent her a whole shop.
Speaker 2: Why did you know what I mean, like frosted, She's not your pa. I didn't mean to, but she offered, and then I just kept rolling. Then I kept thinking of what I needed now. I ended up.
Speaker 1: Sending producer Gisha an entire shopping list, and then I wrote to her. I was like, I just realized, what the fuck I just sent you? I've sent your whole shopping list. I was like, do you regret asking me now? I think because produce a Guisa is employed by us.
Speaker 2: And I pay her bills. She very politely said, no, it's fine.
Speaker 1: She got me like thirty five to forty. She got me a whole grocery shop, a whole shop. I know that Woolies does shopping online. You can do that yourself. Yeah, but I was really in the moment. But that's my question, is like, how many is too many? When someone says to you, So, even if it's your partner, Matt, if you're like, hey, I'm just ducking up to the store, can I get you something? I think it's different. If it's your partner, you can ask for a full shop. If it's your employee, like what.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: If it's your employee and they offer to pick something up from Woolies for you, you say no, I'm fine. You actually don't accept anything. Is actually went to the point of going and taking photos of stuff and googling the stuff.
Speaker 2: I wanted the photos and I send her the photos and it was.
Speaker 1: Like, these are the chicken tenders that I love because you want to specific brand names. Brittany, what has happened to you? I said to a monster.
Speaker 2: I was a monster. And then when I realized, I didn't realize in the moment, I was like shooting off what I needed.
Speaker 1: And then when I looked back at the list, I was mortified and I said to I'm so sorry that, don't actually worry. She's like, it's fine, Like I just need to put another forty minutes onto my shop. Wait, okay, now I just need to know did you actually make producer Kesha go and do your grocery shopping?
Speaker 2: Did she do it? She did it? Yes, correact fucking and she dropped them off to me. It was like, very wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just shocked, as everybody who's listening to this in their car or wherever you're listening to this right now, Brittany.
Speaker 2: I know I'm not proud of it.
Speaker 1: It's not my finest moment, but the situation happened, and I rolled with it, and I felt really guilty after I just really rolled with someone offering to do something for me. It's been a little.
Speaker 2: While, it's been a hot second. I was like, this is the best feeling in the world. I'm just going to own it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, and on Wednesday night, Keisha's giving me a back massage. I feel like my saving grace in this situation, though, is the fact that and I mean Kesha should be thinking me really, because when she got to the store, she didn't know what she wanted for her own shop, so she duplicated exactly that the my shopping li She just duplicated it, and we ate the same thing for the week because she's like, I can't think of what I want.
Speaker 2: I'm going to get everything Britney got, and I read the same thing. I disagree.
Speaker 1: I think she's I think she did it for time management because she'd already spent the entire time that she'd allocated for her own shopping doing yours.
Speaker 2: So she was like, well, I better just double this orner.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I do have something that I want to ask you, But before we get into that, I feel like we should tell people what they're listening to today, and that is we have interviewed an amazing woman. Her name is Beck Brown now Beck Brown is the founder and owner of the Comm's Department. She's also the author of the book You've Got This. And the reason why we wanted to do this episode is because we thought coming back into the new Year, I mean, we're still calling it the new year. It's January, it's December, and we're like this new year's New.
Speaker 2: Year twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: But I feel like it's a very transformative time for a lot of people, Like after coming out of Christmas, after starting, you know, a fresh year, getting through January. It's a real time where people kind of assess their career and assess what they're doing with their life and want more money and want a bloody pay rise, or they want to have a promotion, or maybe they're not sure about the job that they're in. And we're seeing so much these days people leaving the sort of traditional nine to five working for somebody else to create their own small business or to go out on their own and to start their own hustle.
Speaker 2: So this conversation with Beck is all.
Speaker 1: Around how can you ask for more money, how can you ask for that pay rise, how can you ask for promotion? But also just around like how do you forge out a creative career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also, just how you can go about living your dream And like Laurid just said, there are so many people and I've been there in the past, Laura's been there in the past. I feel like a lot of people have.
Speaker 1: There are so many people that are in their nine to five or they're in their job and it's just because A they're comfortable. B they don't know how to get out and chase their dreams, or they don't know what their dreams are. So we do talk about the steps that you can take and how to transition from doing a job you maybe don't really love and that isn't the passion and the end goal, to transitioning into starting your own business and working really hard to create something you're happier with. So I think it was a really, really great chat and I think you guys are gonna get a lot.
Speaker 2: Out of it.
Speaker 1: But before we get into that, there is one other thing I wanted to talk to you about now after my sex cssful weekend, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not the worst pound, now, is it, Laura not?
Speaker 1: I actually, very serendipitously, it was sent an email which was talking about different sex positions and I thought I stumbled across it on corn Hub. I don't know how it came across. You should see my search history and what I had to do to accidentally stumble across this article. Okay, so there has recently been an increase in the search four different types of sex positions, so three hundred and fifty five percent increase over the past week.
Speaker 2: And that is not just me.
Speaker 1: I'd like to say, across the board, across the board, across into web. Yeah, I think everyone's getting ready for Valentine's Day coming up.
Speaker 2: That is interesting.
Speaker 1: So in the past week, so what are we towards the end of jan Okay, so people are doing their due diligence.
Speaker 2: That's like three weeks out of Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: I told you January's very transformative time in the year where people are wanting to try new things, broaden their expansion, open up their minds, and also other areas of their.
Speaker 2: Body open up for their legs.
Speaker 1: I did want to talk to you about some of the most common sex positions, and I also wanted to get your take. I have a few questions for you. First up, what is your favorite sex position? Like if you had to pin down one where would what would you do? Oh? That is subjective because it depends what the purpose is and what the end goal of that is. Because there are certain positions you do for different reasons. You don't do all your positions. Well, I don't think missionary because I'm always tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you don't.
Speaker 1: Missionary is probably one of my favorites in all honesty, and it's not because it's exciting or anything.
Speaker 2: It's just because it always gets the job done, like always you can. Missionary is so reliable.
Speaker 1: It is the most reliable sex position that there is, I think, without a doubt.
Speaker 2: Is it the most exciting.
Speaker 1: No, It's also wildly underrated though. I think missionary because like, missionary is also very intimate. If you're like someone who likes to gaze into your partner's eyes, there's a lot of connection with missionary. But you also don't have to either like you can close your eyes and look over the shoulder or something like. You don't have to have that intense connection. But I would say, if I had to pick one that I could only do for the rest of my life, judge me if you will, it would be missionary.
Speaker 2: I'm zero judgment because I feel like this.
Speaker 1: Okay, this has turned into the most fucking boring sex chat, but I'm agreeing.
Speaker 2: Like missionary is, so what's your favorite missionary? Yeah, missionary?
Speaker 1: Like I mean, I've obviously tried all the others, actually not all of them, some of them here, like real, tell me what's on the list. Okay, I'm going to run you through a couple. The lotus. So the lotus is basically a lot of these are very yoga esque.
Speaker 2: As well, so you gotta be flexible, a little bit of a workout.
Speaker 1: So the lotus is when I mean, I'm going to refer to this as though it's a heterosexual couple just because like, well, that's what the pictures are that I'm looking at. But the lotus is basically when the guy sits cross legged and then the girl sits in his lap with her legs wrapped around to him. Okay, intimate, nice, but sometimes a bit hard to get, like the up and down motion, don't you that is hard to get emotion?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I just cu I've googled the position. I'm not feeling it. You're not feeling that.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll put that one down at like a seven out of ten, Like, how would you rank five?
Speaker 2: Five? Okay?
Speaker 1: The next one is the splitting Bamboo where the girl like lays on her side on the bed and then she lifts her leg up to be like at a ninety degree angle, and then the guy kind of mounts like chig he's on in. Yeah, the size, the side of the leg.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a bit like lazy sex, sort of like hump.
Speaker 1: He just humps her leg a bit nowhere not he's like, well, I just give got a picture and he's her legs over one shoulder and looks like he's like humping the leg. Obviously he's in her, but I feel like, obviously it's not a Laura two point zero where he humps the back.
Speaker 2: Of your leg.
Speaker 1: He's not having sex at the back of her leg. Yeah, he's like in her, but like, as the female, you don't have to do a lot in this position. There's a lot of just laying there, okay, lazy and waiting for a rating on this one. Oh, I mean, like it depends are you hungover and really tired that he's probably high on the list because you're like, get it over with. I mean, lazy sex is great, but I feel like sometimes the adventurous sex is overrated.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 1: People need to feel like they need to be really adventurous to jazz up in the bedroom. And it's great, but I don't think anyone's getting to the finish line doing a handstand. It's almost like having shower sex is also overrated.
Speaker 2: Shower six, shower pool eddy water.
Speaker 1: It's not actually lubricating like you think it's gonna be lubricating, but if anything, it just actually makes things dry but wet at the same time. And all it's so dry, all those sexy movies that you watch growing up, I just feel like it's setting up for failure, you know, all the sexy pool scenes, fake news. Pool sex is terrible. I have another one here, and I feel like this is one. When I say lazy sex, I feel like that this is one that we can all get behind. It's when you both just lay on your side and kind of cuddle from behind like you're having a snuggle, and who does the movement then he just slips it in. Well, you both guess you both could kind of g a little bit, depends on who's the laziest. No, I feel I feel like this is my favorite after missionary into this one. I feel like, I mean that is great, Yes, that's great, hungover sexy and then and then you can just roll onto your stomach and he can roll into your backs.
Speaker 3: You do it? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, we are getting such an inside Okay, I love that this whole article. Laura's like, I swear to god, I stumbled across this sex article. But here I am having overthought every single position. Well, and then you can say you've done two sex positions in one kind of like a laying down doggy style and a side sex. So we know Laura's deep dark secrets. When she's like, we got so frisky last night. We did it like two positions, You're like, cool, you're on your side and then you rolled to your front. I want to know one more thing. What is the craziest sex position you've ever tried?
Speaker 2: I did handstand sex one? How great? How do you do hair? You've got to do like a handstand. But you did the handstand. Yes, you do that.
Speaker 1: You do the handstand and he's standing up, he goes down into you. Yeah, so you have to be so you have to be like a contortionist. It's not for the faint hard and don't try this doesn't hurt your arms after as everything, and does he hold you up.
Speaker 2: It wasn't overly successful. It wasn't overly successful. But this is my point. This is why I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying adventure sex is overrated. I think because people like to feel like they're doing all these crazy things, but it never really works, like.
Speaker 2: The really crazy stuff never works. What have you done?
Speaker 1: I feel like you like it starts like you do it for like thirty seconds and then you change to something else.
Speaker 2: At least she ticked it off the list. I was not strong enough to go for longer than thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I guess it was kind of having sex, but it wasn't like penal penetration. This is so graphics. Sorry, fuck daily Mail. This is gonna happen. He picked me up and was standing up, and my legs were on huge like like I was on his shoulders and the roof whilst he was going down at me.
Speaker 2: It was a lot, Oh my god, And it was so unnecessary because I was so scared. I was gonna lay down just on the bed.
Speaker 1: When even get into it, I was like oh, and then trying to pretend like I was liking it and I wasn't. And anyway, Wow, he'd never missed a leg day that guy. I'm sorry, Dad shot out, Sorry Matt. Anyway, guys, that is it from the whole sex position chat. I'm sure beck is loving that. That's gonna be what prefaces her conversation.
Speaker 2: She wants off this podcast before.
Speaker 1: We came to beg though, we do want to bring our favorite segment accidentally unfiltered. All right, I'm going to kick it off with one that is so aptly fitting to the start of this conversation. When I first started dating my boyfriend now fiance, we did long distance for a year. One weekend he had come to visit me in Victoria at the time, I was living in my parents' place. We were in the lounge room watching a movie and things started to heat up a little bit. Both my parents were at home, so being the very respectful teenager that I was, we decided to go to the bedroom so polite. So there we were in the bedroom and the bed had a bit of a squeak to it, so we decided we would take things.
Speaker 2: To the floor.
Speaker 1: Things had progressed pretty quickly. We were so in the moment and we were making up for lost time. That's when we moved into doggie style. Just then the door squeaked open and my boyfriend turned around need pump to.
Speaker 2: Lock eyes with my dad.
Speaker 1: My whole left my body as my boyfriend asked, should we finish?
Speaker 2: Ha ha? No, No, you do not finish your bought mission.
Speaker 1: Immediately imagine asking the dad should I finish?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Should I stop? Also, what do.
Speaker 1: You do though, if your bar snaked doing doggy style looking in your dad in the eyes like, I mean, what do you do?
Speaker 2: No? You imagine if that was Matt and that was your teenage momy, No did you go there?
Speaker 1: Because I just think that dad, he's gonna lose his shit.
Speaker 2: That kid can never come back, you know what. I once walked to my mom and doggie style, and I reckon, that's just bad. That's so much worse. No, sorry, Mom, I think she listens to this podcast. It was a long time ago, A long long time should so Actually, I don't know what's better if it was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Or recently anyway, all right, me with your accidently unfiltered Okay, this one's so unfortunate. Back in the day when snapchat was a thing. I went to send a sexy pick to a few boys that I was chatting up. Instead sending it to each of them separately, I accidentally created a group that they could all see each other snapchat names in the group.
Speaker 2: I almost had a heart attack. I sent the picture in my panic state.
Speaker 1: I couldn't work out how to delete the group, so instead I just left the group. One of the guys, She just left the group. One of the guys sent me a screenshot of the conversation saying Sophie has left the group, and to my horror, the boys continued on chatting in the group afterwards.
Speaker 2: Rip me. I die thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Sophie has created a group of all the boys she liked, sent a nude, and then panicked and left the group. Now these boys don't know each other. There is a group of six people that can see each other's names that have the same girl's nude, and then she just.
Speaker 2: Sophie leaves the group.
Speaker 1: I just like that as a mic drop, Like Sophie has left the building and the country see you later, fellas has checked out. So I like the time efficiency that she put into this. She's like, my time is precious, and I do not have enough of it to be sending you individual news. Here is one from the archives, ladies and gentlemen. It's also like the people, and there are so many online dating the people that just du a copy and paste text of people, but they forget to change the name and they just.
Speaker 2: Got before it. People do it all the time. Yeah, come on, guys, you need to.
Speaker 1: Put a little bit of effort in or you did it or you received it. I think it's happened on both sides of the coin. I think I did it to a guy and it's definitely happened to me. Anyway, we can all learn from each other's mistakes, can't we rap Sophie? All right, let's get into the chat with Beck. Guys, We're so excited.
Speaker 2: To have Beck on the podcast today.
Speaker 1: Beck is a PR wizard, currently the founder and managing director of the Comms Department, and she is the author of a very exceptional book called You Have Got This. It is the essential career handbook for a creative woman. Beck, Welcome to Life on Card.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Now. I didn't know Beck, but you and I have been in contact for so long without actually knowing who each other are like we I mean obviously knew who you were you knowing about when this came today, I didn't realize you'd been the person I've been emailing for so long. We've had things to do with each other in radio, in PR so many times. So it's nice to meet you in the flesh. And can I just say, you're now sitting in my house. You are getting a very behind the scenes look at how we record. I'm going to have to get you to sign a waiver, a non disclaimer where you tell no one our secrets and what really goes down here. But no, thank you for coming on board today. And I hope you know how we start our episodes.
Speaker 2: Yes, accidentally unfiltered. We want you to embarrass yourself on a national level. I love this.
Speaker 3: I've got to say I'm quite honored because I love listening to you accidentally unfiltered, So to be able to do one quite.
Speaker 2: Just cutting into the pot.
Speaker 1: It's a pot of embarrassment that everyone feels. But also it's a very humanizing way of getting to know someone like I mean, we could ask tell us about your childhood, you know, tell us about where you've been, but in said, I want to know what you've done that you wish you hadn't.
Speaker 3: I know, we've all done things, we've gone Oh no, what.
Speaker 2: Is my life?
Speaker 1: The emails we get people are in their embarrassing moment as they speak, and they're emailing us.
Speaker 2: They're like, this is happening live. I am life showing my embarrassing moment too. Well, that's great. So mine's a few years old.
Speaker 3: It was back when we could travel a bit more freely, and I was in New York on a business trip and it was a really big deal. It was my first big trip overseas to be doing business and I was going to the global headquarters of this client. And I had really really bad jet lag, which I don't usually get, but I was being careful. So I set two alarms and I laid all my clothes out the night before, and I was all organized and I woke up. Yes, I slept through both my alarms, and I had thirty minutes to get across town and be in this meeting. So thankfully for my organization. The night before, I pulled on my clothes, so I had like a really nice little high waisted pencil skirt and this silk shirt and some nice high heels and I ran out the door, thankfully, jumped in a cab and doing my hair and makeup on the way, and I got to the meeting and I was like, oh my god, Okay, just perform, You're on, Let's do this. So I did the meeting and it went incredibly well. I finished the whole meeting and I went outside and finished it, and I thought, I'm amazing, I'm high fiving myself, I'm congratulating myself. I'm really feeling myself. And I hail a yellow cab like a true New Yorker yet again, sitting in the cab all the way back to the hotel, going I'm the best. I'm so amazing. I got out of the cab in front of this beautiful hotel that I was staying at, and it had the doormenute out the front, your people everywhere. It was like peak how there were people absolutely everywhere. And I stepped out of the cab and the cab drove off, and as I stepped out, the zip on my skirt just busted, and my skirt felt my eyes and.
Speaker 2: Like a cape, like a cape, like a big reveal. And I'm standing.
Speaker 3: On one of the busiest streets in Manhattan in my bright pink lacey string.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a city moment. It really was.
Speaker 3: And what had happened was in my haste that morning to get dress. I'd been wearing my skirt back to front all morning and it had put such a strain on my zip that it had just busted. And that idea that in New York that you know, people don't really care what happens, and you could be running down the street with your hair on fire and nobody pays any attention to you. I can tell you that is not true. Absolutely everybody turned around looked at me, smirking, snickering, laughing. It was mortified.
Speaker 1: Could you see in Okay, So my brain was trying to jump ahead that whole chat, and I was like, she's forgotten a bra, her shirt.
Speaker 2: She's like that in the middle of a chat.
Speaker 1: The reason they were like, you've got the job is because you can see a nippook. But the question is was it obvious that your skirt was backwards, Like was it something that you could have maybe gotten away with, or would they be looking at you saying, this poor thing, we'll give her the job because she doesn't know she can't rescise.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. I really don't know. To trust me, I've thought of that too the entire time. But I was more relieved at the fact that my skirt hadn't just fallen off in front of the client, as opposed to all these people I didn't know, but I probably didn't mind too much.
Speaker 1: Do you know what back, I'm going to give you a little bit of like comfort in numbers here. I was once standing in the food court in David Jones in Sydney, and I had three mangoes in my hands, and I sneezed, and because I didn't have three hands, so I was holding three mangoes like nursing them between my chest and my hands, and I sneezed, and the exact same thing happened. My skirt exploded and fell down around my ankles. And I had forgotten that that even happened until now.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to one up both of you from that's.
Speaker 1: Why you came here for, guys, turned into an accidentally unfiltered competition. I was in the operator working in operating theater. I did all medical imagining in the theater in operations, and I had these scrubs on there were only extra large scrubs left. They didn't fit me, so I tied them as tired as I could. I had a lead gown on that protects through you from radiation. All the surgeons were there, there were reps there, there were nurses, scrub nurses, hot surgeons too, hot surgeons, also.
Speaker 2: Old surgeons, very old.
Speaker 1: And the lead gown that I wore dropped to the ground and it was so heavy that it pulled my pants down and my hands were full of this equipment that takes up after him. And I was standing in the operating theater making eye contact and I couldn't pull my pants up because I was in the middle of screening a live operation.
Speaker 2: So I stood there working.
Speaker 1: With my pants down and I was like, I burn your eyes everyone, there's nothing to see here. I also love that you came with a work accidentally un filter lay bake. It had to be work related. Now that the reason why we got you, and that was it. We was a wrap with that.
Speaker 3: All I can think of is how you would have made that surgeon's day like they would have been loving last.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they're a bit excited, and they kept asking for me back by name, so I feel like, hey, we'll take Brittany, thank you packing much now. In fact, the reason why we wanted to get you on the podcast and to do this episode is because heading into well relatively the new year, still in January, but it's really a time of transition for a lot of people. It's a lot of time where we consider like what worked, what job we want to be doing, whether we're enjoying the work that we're doing, what even is life?
Speaker 2: What even?
Speaker 1: Yeah, do we want to start a business? Are we on the right track? Like you know, do we feel like we're being appreciated in our work players? There's so many facets that I think at this time of year we start to really consider around our work and Britain and I we've never done an episode solely dedicated to kind of unpacking what takes up so much of our life outside of relationships is our work relationships and our work life. And you've written an incredible book. Could you have got this? What was the original inspiration behind writing the book?
Speaker 3: There were three reasons that I wrote this book, and one was I had a lot of graduates and professionals coming to me for career advice who either were trying to get a leg up in their own industry or work out what they really wanted to do or wanted to start their own business. And so I was already compiling a lot of that information. I'm a writer, so I always liked to write a big email, and I was sending it off anyway, So I'd already started to compile all of this information. And I also the big one for me was that I personally had a really rough time navigating my own career in my late teens and early twenties, like real rough in my efforts to create a successful career. I ended up with anxiety, depression, eating disorders. It was not a great place for me. And I learned a lot through scientific journals. I learned a lot through research. I learned a lot through my own experience, good and bad, about what I should and shouldn't be doing. And I just wanted to be able to share that information and that knowledge because I wish that somebody had been able to give me a book with a whole bunch of short tips and hacks to say, if you just follow these things, your work life is going to be a lot easier, and it's going to be a lot happier as well.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting, isn't it, Because we talk about this in terms of relationships, like no one gives you a manual, and like your twenties is so fucking hard because you're trying to figure out, like what is the right way to navigate these relationships? How do you kind of work your way through what's right for you, what works for you. It's such a confusing time of life, but no one really ever talks about it in a work sense, and I think that the exact same problems apply with almost less direction. There's a lot of people out there who seem to enjoy their work, but there's a lot of people who truly hate Monday to Friday and they live for the weekend. And so what was it about writing this kind of like manual or handbook, Like how did you compile this information when you say you lived your twenties, what was it about your own experience in your twenties and in your workplace that you were like, no, I need to impart this knowledge.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when I was twenty five, I had what I call my quarter life crisis, where I realized that this career that i'd been working towards since I was a little girl, which at the time was to be a singer and entertainer, was not actually fulfilling me and wasn't making me happy. And I was heartbroken because I'd worked on this since I was like ten years old. I'd been having singing and dancing lessons the entire time, and I'd studied at the Conservatorium and studied music and it was absolutely my life. And I was traveling overseas doing that, doing the job. I was performing in musicals and on stage in jazz bands, and I loved it, but the lifestyle was grueling. So this was right before smartphones and social media really took off, so I was really quite isolated from my family and friends. I'm also quite a day person, so for somebody who's having to work at night all the time, it actually probably wasn't a great thing for me to be doing. And I was under scrutiny all the time. And these days, life on the stage is a little bit easier. There's a lot more diversity, there's a lot more care for talent. But back then, if you weren't a certain size and a certain look, you were just cast aside. And because of that, I developed quite bad eating disorders, and they carried through for quite a long time, and so I landed in Sydney. I'd been traveling all over the world and I came back to Sydney when I just turned twenty five. I didn't know anybody here, wasn't my hometown, and I decided that I needed to take stock and really work out what I wanted to do next. So I went back to UNI and studied media and communications, and that led to my next career, which was in public relations. But again, so many lessons learned through that, and I was also somebody who was quite independent. I didn't like gasking for advice. Some of it came from not wanting to bother people and also not really knowing who to reach out to. I didn't know anyone who worked in PR. I also didn't know anybody who worked in music and entertainment back when I was a young girl as well. So I really admire anybody who can give somebody a leg up, somebody who can be generous with information, and somebody who's happy to actually spend time telling somebody their secrets. I think a lot of people feel that if they give away all their secrets, then somebody will do better than them and take over their career, and suddenly there'll be nothing left for them. I really do have the sense that the universe is a very abundant space and there's enough for everybody, and there's enough to go around. The pie is very big and it's ever expanding, and there's a piece enough for everybody. So the more we expand our knowledge, the more that we share our information, the better this world is going to be, and also the better our workspaces are going to be.
Speaker 1: I mean, we love pies here at a wrong kind of pie rand. We also love sharing our pie, but we couldn't agree more.
Speaker 2: And Laura and I, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, we have these discussions all in private. We plan on having a discussion more on this platform. But Australia really does have this level of tall poppy syndrome and I still can't quite get my head around it. There is a level I sort of feel bad saying this. There's a level of like women supporting women and people supporting people, but there's a level of it that I don't believe.
Speaker 2: There's a level of it that I see where.
Speaker 1: I think that people are putting on a front and a face. You know, they're pretending that they're more supportive of people than they actually are. How long were you stuck doing what you were doing before you realized you didn't like it? So were you two years deep, two years hating every single day or was it only a few months until you changed your mind? Because I know there are a lot of people that do not want to go to their job every single day for.
Speaker 2: Years, but they don't know how to change it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question for me. I think I was lucky in that it was probably only It was probably only a year, and I was more torn. I didn't want to leave that industry, and I tried so many ways to think of how I could make it work. In fact, I was like, maybe I could work during the days, So I started working as a children's entertainer with a band a bit like The Wiggles, which I find hilarious because now we look after the PR for the Wiggles, it really is.
Speaker 2: I mean, Emma's just laughed, so you could step down back.
Speaker 3: It's my spot, but it's finally my time. But what was actually kind of interesting was when I moved into PR as well. I didn't immediately love it at all. I felt so out of my depth. There was still a part of me going no, I'd much rather be back singing and performing, and I was starting at the bottom. Nobody likes to start at the bottom because it was new and I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't feel accomplished at it. So that very first PR job that I had when I was in Sydney, while I was still studying, I studied by correspondence, so I did online learning with Deacon University and that allowed me to be able to work because I still needed to pay my rent and everything, like, I still needed to support myself. I come from two working class parents who I'm certainly not trust fun kid or anything. We had to work to get to where we are, and so I was working during the day, still singing and things at night and studying and then my first PR job. I cried on the bus most days on the way to work because I hated it. My boss was like quiet, she was amazing, but very devil.
Speaker 2: Where's Prada?
Speaker 3: Completely? Completely, That's exactly it was, exactly Devil was Prada? And I didn't particularly know what I was doing. Also wasn't sure if I was the right career for me, but I knew that if I dedicated some time to it, gave it a year, just kept working hard, put my head down, kept doing the things that perhaps other people didn't want to do, and just learned on the job that something would happen at the end of it. And the other thing that I realized too, which is hard when you're in it, it was only a year out of my life. If I really hated it, I could probably go back to singing, or I could do something else. And I try to remind myself that now I'm forty two now, and often people will go, oh, it's too late to start a new career. I think that's rubbish. I could throw my biness a way tomorrow. Not that I would, but I could and start again. And we can start again at any time. So it's always a great thing to remember.
Speaker 1: I really love that you've touched on this because I think that this can be something and I know it's something that I struggled with when I had a career pivot. It's this idea that I've done so many years of study. I've put so many years into this career. There's almost like a morning that identity say this. Also, I have some friends who work in medicine, and it's like, but I thought I was going to have this career. I thought I was going to be a surgeon, or I thought I was going to be an anestus. And then they've gotten into the career and don't particularly like it or it's not what they thought it was going to be.
Speaker 2: But it's the dealing with the breakdown.
Speaker 1: Of the identity and what they had hoped for themselves to then think about pivoting and going and trying something new and maybe seeing that pivot as a failure. What would you say to somebody who is at that cornerstone or that fork in the road and they've just spent all these years, ten years investing into what their career life is, but now they think, fuck, it's not what I want and maybe I need to change.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 3: I just kind of got chills thinking about that, Because the best part about that is nothing is ever wasted. So the experience that you have doing whatever it is you've trained to do will come up again at some point in your life and you'll be able to use it. So even if you were moving from medicine through.
Speaker 2: To entertainment like me, that is literally.
Speaker 3: Likely, but the rigor and the structure that you probably had to have in your medical career to be able to put that into your entertainment career, so that you actually have a framework around you that will support you when you're in an industry that is very up and down and quite volatile, is probably going to be the best thing for you. Whereas if somebody entered entertainment with absolutely no structure, no routines, no ideas of kind of how the wider world worked, they're going to find it a lot more difficult than you will.
Speaker 1: I do really believe that exactly what you just say, that everything you're doing is knowledge and he's setting you up for what is to come. There is literally something and I'm talking relationships, work, life, experience. Everything is something you can draw on, even like this podcast now, the things that we've both done in the past is what's helping us to achieve what we're achieving now because we can draw back on those experiences. For me, it was really hard to transition from having a medical background to entertainment. It was something that I knew I wanted to do, but I never really knew how, and I had a very hard time letting go and moving on. And I think that is what happens to a lot of people. They don't know how to physically take the jump.
Speaker 2: How do I do it?
Speaker 1: How do I actually get out of what I'm doing? How do I start a business that's not going to make any money for a while. What advice would you give to someone who's in that transitional phase between moving from one career into another or wanting to start something but they don't have the funds or they don't have the ability to just go cool, I'm going to quit and start a new business, or the physically.
Speaker 2: Don't know how.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the first thing you want to do is give yourself the confidence that you're making the right decision. And to do that, everything that you do in life needs to come back to your values and what you stand for, and that will come down to the way that you present yourself to the world in addition to making you really happy. So once you know what your values are, the idea around values is these are your guiding lights. So whenever you're about to make any decision, you then look at your values or your priorities and say, is this thing that I'm about to do going to support or hinder my values and then you make your decision either way. So everyone's values is completely different. So my advice would be do a brainstorm. So get a piece of paper out, just start writing pop on your computer. I personally prefer to write like pen on paper because studies have shown that you are forty five to eighty percent more likely to actually act on something if you've physically written it down. So write these things down and it can be like what is the most important thing to you or what is the thing that you want to achieve in life? And those things really different to everybody. It could be I want to be really healthy, I want to start a charity. I want to be famous. I want to run a marathon. I want to create a business, employed lots of people, so many things. I want to practice law, I want to work in entertainment. I want to work as a vet. Like it is limitless. But the best way to look at it is make sure that everything on that list actually applies to you and isn't what your family or your friends want you to do or what you think you should be doing. Because often what society kind of tells us we should be doing what our family and friends want us to be doing isn't quite the right thing. If you're really influenced by what your family and friends are kind of wanting you to do, then perhaps having great relationships with your family and friends is really important to you and is a core value and priority. So once you've got this huge page of things, you need to prioritize them into a list of ten. So the best way to do that is say, if I could only have one of these things as my top priority, what's it going to be? And then you choose one, and then you choose the next one, and then you choose the next one, and you'll end up with a list of like ten things. What's really interesting is that these priorities will change and shift over the course of your life. So what I prior tires and what my values are now vastly different to five years ago, completely different to ten, fifteen years ago, and that's okay. We're under no obligation to remain the same people for our whole lives, so we can just change as we need to. But once you've got your list of values, go through them and shorten them down to like one word. So, for example, if one of your priorities is to have a really successful career, that might be success. Or if you want to make a lot of money, it could just be wealth. Or if you want to start a family, that might just be family. So you have a list of these ten things, and then every decision that you choose to make, you come back to that list of ten things and say, if I do this, if I take this job, are these priorities being looked after? So values number one? Next one of passions. So your passions or your curiosities are the things that set you alight. They're the things that get you out of bed in the morning. They're the things that time stand still when they're happening. They're the things that make you do a podcast six o'clock in the morning or at midnight when the kids are still asleep. You're not making any money from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're like why there was James where I was like, this is not I don't know what this is.
Speaker 3: So when you've got those passions all same thing, do a brainstorm, write them all down. Say what do I really love to do? Do I love podcasting? Do I love painting? Do I love coding? Do I love creating? Events? Like it could be absolutely anything, and again it's really particular to you and you only. They're often the things that you're really good at. Your passions are things generally speaking, that you're very good or that you're good at, or that you'd like to do. Then refine that list and say which ones am I actually great at, like really good at intrinsically, like, for example, problem solving could be on there. They could be hard skills like being a writer, or they could be soft skills, which is like problem solving or being an empathetic person or being a good communicator. Go through and decide in that list of passions what it is you're actually good at or that you're willing to put the time and effort in to become good at. So, if you wanted to become a singer and you're like, I'm okay, but I don't think I'm amazing, are you really willing to put in the time and effort to be having singing lessons, to do all the practice, dedicate all of that, Because if you're not, then singing probably shouldn't be on your list because you're really not going to do it. So you've got your values, which are your priorities. Then you've got your passions, which are the things that you really want to do and the things that you love, and then you just start looking at them overlapping and then decide if this career move that you want to move into is going to have those two things kind of intersecting. A couple more questions that you can ask yourself, which are your dream life questions?
Speaker 2: Am I crazy?
Speaker 3: That's always up there to that you always say yes.
Speaker 1: Of course, but that's like a fun kind of crazy, good fun crazy.
Speaker 3: But the one dream life question is to say, if I had all the money in the world and never had to worry about paying bills ever again, how would I spend my time? What would I actually be doing?
Speaker 2: Such a good question. Do you think worry you're doing you'd be still doing the same thing. Well, I think I'd be in the.
Speaker 1: I think I'd be there for a few weeks, and when I would come back, it would be podcasting from the Bahamas.
Speaker 3: So things might be elevated. But you know what, you would probably still be podcasting, and you would still have Tony May and you would still be acting, but you would be probably.
Speaker 2: Doing it somewhere really awesome.
Speaker 3: It's choosing whether or not that's what you'd want to do. The other dream life question that's really important to ask yourself is if I do these things, am I going to be happy? And am I going to be a good person who's a good person in society? Because you might choose to start a really profitable business that's earning millions and millions of dollars, or you might decide that you want to be a lawyer and a huge law firm. However, if you look at your priorities and your values, you might have to reconcile the fact that you're not going to be able for a few years until you've built that business up. You're not going to be able to manage some of those other values or priorities. You're not going to be able to spend time on them. You're not going to be able to spend time in your other passion. So you have to decide whether or not you can do that, and if you can't, maybe it's time for a different career, if maybe that's not the right one for you. And then coming back to you know, am I going to be a good human? Can I be somebody who's in this world who's contributing to society? And doing things ethically and sustainably as well. I think that's always a good start.
Speaker 1: What do you think in terms of like so, for example, a lot of people who get into creative careers it's because it's their hobby, it's their passion. But then there is such a big shift and change in turning something that you love into turning it into your work.
Speaker 2: And I know for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: And friends of mine who have tried to turn their creative passions into their work, they've almost come to resent what they used to love. But how would you suggest somebody who's trying to transition a passion into their career, how do they keep that passion alive?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I feel you on that one. And it's so funny because if I had at the start of my career worked out what my values were, what my passion where I ask myself those dream life questions, probably wouldn't have become a performer. I wouldn't have become a singer. I would have kept it as a hobby because I loved it. I loved to sing, but I didn't necessarily love all the practice. I didn't necessarily love performing at night. I didn't love lugging all my band gear from venue to venue. Some musicians love that. They just think it's the best ever, and they're the people who should be doing that. So once you've established whether or not this truly is your passion, it is putting the sort of frameworks around you that will support you to be able to do the parts of the business that you really love the most. I'm the same so running the comms department. When you're running a business, there's the business side of everything, and if you've got team and employees, there's a whole lot of admin that comes with all of that, combined with the new business of making sure that there's clients in the pipeline to keep us all sustainable. And then on top of that, you're doing the actual work. And when I had a really big team of people and I was constantly just doing all the admin, I would get to the end of the day and go, I haven't done a single creative piece of pr all day totally, and I hate it. And so I had to restructure my business to ensure that I had people who I really trusted and who knew exactly what they were doing to be able to manage those parts of the business that I didn't particularly want to do so that I could get back to doing the parts that I really loved. Having said that, I also think that there needs to be a good, healthy dose of reality that there will always be crap parts of your job that you don't particularly enjoy, but you do them anyway.
Speaker 2: Totally, totally.
Speaker 1: It's a bad perspective really, Like you said, it's bad, it's going to come with the good. There's highs and as lows in everything, and they can't run without each other.
Speaker 2: It's like dating.
Speaker 1: You've got to get through the shit to get to the good stuff, like you have to go through those toads to get to that beautiful prince at the end. But that brings me perfectly to the whole work life balance. Now you speak about career life flow and work life balance, What is the difference between career life flow? Say that ten times fast. What is the difference between career lifelow and work life balance?
Speaker 3: So we've all heard of work life balance. It's been around for a long time, and I think it's really antiquated now and it's probably needs a new definition because work life balance was that ancient idea that on one side you had work and on the other side you had life and they never met and they never mixed. And who are those people who do that? Have no idea, But what generally happens. So imagine you've got like a playground seesaw, and on one end you've got work, and then you put lots of work on one end, and the other end shoots up and that's your life end. So you put some life on, you catch up with your family and friends, and then you kind of try to even out the work and the life so that it's on an even keel. But over time, what generally happens is that work gets busy, so more and more work gets dumped onto the work end, and so life shoots up empty again. So you stack more and more life on there. You trying to do more life Adamin. You're trying to catch up with your family and friends. You're trying to exercise, you're trying to sleep, you're trying to eat well, you're trying to do all of those things. And over time, all that happens is your seesaw gets heavier and heavier and heavier on either until one day it just snaps and shatters into a million pieces. And that's where you get burnout, that's where you get hating your job. That's where you get depression, that's where you get anxiety, and it's just such a road to misery. So career life flow is a different idea, but it works more in today's workforce as well, where because of today's tech, we can be contactable all the time. Doesn't mean we should be, but we can be working at all hours of the day and night. So a really great idea of it is, so career is anything to do with your work. So it's your actual day to day work, your job, but also the relationships with all the people pertaining to your work. So it might be your bosses, your colleagues, your clients, your customers. And then you have your life, which is your sleep, your exercise, your eating, your family, your friends, your appointments, your hobbies, anything that kind of doesn't fit into your career bucket. Of course, there's often a lot of crossover, particularly if you really love the work that you're doing, there's often a lot of crossover. You have a lot of the people that I work with are really good friends of mine, so and the same obviously for you guys. And then you have flow. So career life flow. Flow is the way that you low like a river in between both of those activities, and rather than the idea that work and life never meet, your career and your life be segmented down into smaller chunks throughout the day, smaller segments throughout the day, and then you very mindfully kind of flow from one to the other. Like you might get up at six or seven in the morning, and then you'll head off and you might dismexercise, or you might look after your kids, so that's kind of falling into the life bucket. But meanwhile you're checking some emails, and then you might thirty minutes of checking your emails and doing that, and then you start to get ready and then perhaps you're getting ready to go to work. So you've done like maybe an hour of life and then thirty minutes of career, and then you'll flow throughout the day in that way. So this is different though to multitasking. So multitasking is the idea that you're doing multiple things at once, and there's this kind of myth that women are very good at well, it's true women are very good at multitasking. If multitasking actually existed, what you're actually doing when you're multitasking, is swapping between tasks really really fast, one after the other. And what happens is your brain. All the studies have shown that your brain absolutely hates that over a long period of time. It just makes you really exhausted and is yet another recipe for burnout. So when you're doing your career and when you're doing your life, try to complete one task, really finish that off, take a pause, and then move on to the next one and flow into the next one instead. So it does mean that your work day, for example, might look like you're working from six in the morning through till nine at night, but you've segmented enough life moments throughout that day to ensure that your life hours are being met as well. So the way that you could do it, you can end up mapping out again and get your pin and paper out and just map out like some segments. Save from six to seven, I'm going to do this from eight till nine, I'm going to do this from nine till twelve. I'm going to do this. Just map out and then put in the hours that you would spend on your career, and that also includes the time you're thinking about your career because I know as O, I know we kind of think a lot about our careers and where we want to be going. So allocate those into the career buckets and then into your life buckets. Just make sure that you're really scheduling in all of those things that are important to you. You want to be able to look back at the end of the day and go I've worked from six till eight, but I've also had some really great life moments.
Speaker 1: I went out for a walk, or I went and got a coffee, or jumped in the ocean really quickly.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and you did that mindfully. So when you were having when you went for that walk, when you went and had that coffee, when you jumped in the ocean, when you caught up with your girlfriends, you were doing just that. You weren't thinking about work at the same time.
Speaker 1: And that's probably the hard bit, Like the amount of times, right, I'm sure there's so many people listening to this where you're like trying to answer emails but you're also watching your kids and you're doing both jobs a bit shit, and that is what makes you feel like not only are you doing everything, but you're not doing anything well at the same time, and that kind of adds to this feeling of not just work dissatisfaction, but just feeling like you're not good at.
Speaker 3: Your job and really discouraging.
Speaker 2: It's so discouraging. I think it's important to have a level of realism here as well. When you start your.
Speaker 1: Own business, or when you take a leap into something that's yours that you are building from the ground up, you have to work harder than you normally would. You have to put the hours in because you don't have money to pay anyone else yet. And I think I think people need to be realistic, and I think people get discouraged by that. They start their own business, they realize how much goes into it. It's always going to be like that until it takes off or you make just enough to get someone in to help you. Well, it's that old adage as well of like I quit my nine to five to work twenty four seven. That's so many people who run them. That's so true, people who run their own businesses. It's like the amount of friends I have who run their own businesses who are like, I don't stop, Like I used to have a normal work life balance and now I just work and there's no balance and.
Speaker 2: I have no life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you think for people who work in a creative industry and for women specifically who work in a creative industry, what are some of the biggest challenges that you see women face.
Speaker 3: So a lot of women, to the exact point, don't back themselves and they don't put themselves forward for things that they would probably be really good at until they think they're perfect at.
Speaker 1: It, unlike men who will happily apply for a job that they are completely unqualified for. It's something like eighty percent of men apply for jobs they're not qualified for, like twenty percent of women do because we wait until well, it's in this imposter syndrome that we all face. It's not thinking we're good enough. They're never going to give us that job. If I just do one more course, if I just get a little bit more experience, whereas a man's like, fuck, I'll do it. I've never studied that in my life, but yeah, sure, give me a payrise, let me take this job.
Speaker 2: Where do you think that comes from.
Speaker 3: It's extraordinary, isn't it. I've made many highs over the course of the last ten years and seeing resumes that come through to me and people who apply for jobs, and I would absolutely say that that statistic is right because the amount of incredibly highly qualified, I would say, overqualified women who apply versus some of the men that would apply who have not met any of the criteria.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm a gardener that I would love to come into this industry.
Speaker 3: You know, there's that statistic. It's probably about two years old now, but I highly doubt it's changed very much. That if you're a CEO in Australia, you're forty percent more likely to be named John or Peter than you are to be a woman.
Speaker 2: That's oh my god, that is wild. I'm changing my name.
Speaker 1: I deeply relate to this, and this is like a bit of a personal anecdote. Like I've worked in retail for fifteen years now, I've run Tony May for ten years. I cannot tell you the amount of men who have had no experience in retail who like to sit me down when I go out for dinner or whatever and drool me on my business but also give their advice on how I should run my retail business. And blows my fucking mind because sometimes I'm there, like, but what is your experience? Like They'll say, Oh, you need to get your manufacturing done, you need to get this outsourcing done, you should be housing it in these ways, And I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, what are you talking about? You know nothing.
Speaker 1: And I know that we're being quite generalized in this in saying this, and I know that we're making some sweeping stereotime.
Speaker 2: There are some great men out there, But I.
Speaker 1: Do reinforce what you said that women truly don't back themselves in this industry, and it takes a lot of time to feel like we are experts. I don't feel like I'm an expert in my industry, even though I've worked in it for fifteen years.
Speaker 3: We do have imposter syndrome, and that that is across genders, that all genders have imposter syndrome, but women are particularly vulnerable to it in thinking that they must have all their ducks in a row, have all of the information ready to go, be prepared, get it all ready, then make the leap. And I don't think you can have everything ready to go, particularly not in today's world. We're moving in such a fast paced world that you need to sometimes, Yes, you do need to have a certain amount of preparation done, and you don't want to be walking into an industry where you have no idea what you're doing. But you do need to just take that leap of faith. One of the early things that I learned, which is in the book too, is just about nobody really knows what they're doing. You don't realize that until you're in the ranks and you're in working with people that people really don't know what they're doing. We're off so true.
Speaker 1: What are some tactical steps that someone who really feels like they don't back themselves in the industry, what can they do not just like improve their self worth, but like go out there and ask for a pay rise, or go out there and do some very actionable things to be better in their workplace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a few things. So one is about mentors. So find somebody in your industry or your organization who's gone before you, who's generous with their time and is happy to have a chat to you. It's all about seeking information. So you've got to be a little researcher. You've got to be a scientist. You've got to work out again what you do know and what you don't know, so find out in every industry, or let's just say you're working in a big organization, that organization has its own company values and it has its priorities, so it has things that it values. And when you are studying a organization, you want to find out what's so valuable, like what is the sea and the executive leadership team or value? Is it just revenue? Are they just trying to make as many sales as possible? Do they want the most creative ideas? Do they want people who are really good connectors and can bring the team together, Like what is it that people value? And if you're like I have no idea, like where to start, just ask your boss. And if your boss doesn't know, ask their boss.
Speaker 1: If you want to pay rise, don't just ask your boss. How do I ask you for a pay rise?
Speaker 3: You need to see actutely not but it's so sorry n fs exactly, don't just say under the guys, i'd like to pay rise, So I'd like to know what's valuable to you so.
Speaker 2: That I can put it in a piece of paper and write center back to you.
Speaker 3: So instead you'd be saying I want to do the best possible job that I can for this organization, and I really want to know what this organization values, and like the top line, the big bird's eye view, like what is everybody here trying to achieve? So that I can then do that in my job. And then once you know that, you can start making sure that you are hitting every KPI in your world. That builds towards that as well. So that's very like, that's a very top line thing that you can do. But if you're looking for a pay rise, if you're looking for a promotion, then once you've done the research on the company to kind of understand what's going on. Most companies will have reviews or promotion times, some only doing them annually. In a dream world, you'd be doing them quarterly. Find out when they are, find out what the deal is. Absolutely everyone is different. Speak to hr, find out what happens. Then do your preparation for it. So work out all of the things that you've done to contribute to that organization. So think of it be your own pr Basically, go Okay, what are all the amazing things that I've done, Who did I come into contact with, what big deals did I do? Or if that's too high level, it might just be simply, was I doing my job really really well every day for the last however long you've been working there, and what did I contribute to that was really important and valuable to the company. So do your preparation. Then practice talking about that and put it into succinct language that is easy to talk through, because you want to be able to explain that you've done that without coming across sounding like you're a crazy narcissist who's just really interested in yourself. So practice creating a bit of a script about what you know is important to the company, and say, you know, I've been working at this company for three years now, and I've really realized that Obviously, generating sales is really important, making sure that we're always hitting our sales targets is important, but I also know that's really important to be bringing in new business. So over the last three years, here's how I've done that, and here's what I'd like to do in the future to try to build that even more and take this company into an even better position. In order to do that, I'd really like to apply for a pay rise, and I'd like to talk to you about that. And it's as simple as that. So getting that out, you do need to of course know, like if you if your company and organization has just been through a pandemic and your industry was really badly hit and half the company and there's no pay rises for a while, obviously pick your moments, like it might be that company isn't going to be in a position to However, you never know until you put your hand up. So again, while talking through how your empathy, like you have empathy for the company, you know what the company's been through, talking through all of the values that they have and how you've contributed to them, and then just really simply ask do you know if there will be any scope for promotions or pay rises in the near future.
Speaker 1: And I think it's important to note that this doesn't just affect women, Like not that long ago, I helped a male friend get a pay rise. He didn't know how hard to approach it, he didn't know if he should approach it. And I think it's just about having a level of confidence and knowing that you're capable and knowing your worth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, know your value. Oh that's not on everyone's like billboards above their homes. When I say, no, your value, your value or your personal value has nothing to do with your work. Your personal value has everything to do with who you are as a human being and in your place in the world. But knowing your financial value in a workplace is really import and again it comes back to knowing how the work that you're doing is contributing to the overall success of the organization that you're wanting to get the promotion for. So if you can really easily demonstrate that the things that you've been doing at your work have contributed to the financial success of your company, then that is on you. Thank like, well done, that's on you. So you should be shouting that out loud and prown.
Speaker 1: One of the things, as like a business owner is just preparation. Go in there, armed with the details, go in there saying like, here it is, I've written it out, here's what I've achieved. Here are my successes in the company. I think that that speaks volumes and walking into these discussions where you're asking for a pay rise or you're asking for a promotion. Really kind of I'm not saying go and put together a PowerPoint. You could if you wanted to, but like, hey, why not go hard to go home? Yeah, Like putting together almost like a little bit of a debate as to why you deserve that really goes a long way as well, because there might be things or there might be an overall, you know, success that the business has had. But you would hope that your manager is across how you've contributed to it. But often they're so busy worrying about their own job that they're not completely.
Speaker 2: Across what you've done.
Speaker 1: So it's really great to be able to go out there and just once again explain and lay it all out and be like, this is how hard I've worked this year, this is what I've achieved. I find that the creative industry can be a tricky one for a lot of people, and I think it's also I don't think, I know, it's a hugely undervalued skill set for a lot of women. You know, we do a lot of things for free, for example, whether it be people who are graphic designers who go out there and do free logos or photographers who do time for prints. Like I think our services in a creative industry can be incredibly undervalued.
Speaker 2: What would you.
Speaker 1: Say to somebody who is in that initial startup period who is like trying Okay, how do I get my work out there? Maybe doing too much for free or giving away too much of themselves. How can someone build value around their business and really build respect around what their product is?
Speaker 3: Setting boundaries straight up to know what it is you're prepared to be paid for what you're prepared to be It can be quite dangerous from an early stage if you start working for free, because the expectation then is that it will always be free. A really great example of this on a global scale is when all of the new sites used to give away free content.
Speaker 2: I'm still dirty that you have to pay subscriptions.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Every time I go on the Daily Telegraph, I'm like, damn it, I'm not finding that article. I'll find it on Daily Mail for free someone or repost it.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: So the challenges that they now have to make people pay for their content when it used to be free is very very hard. So I would be very mindful of not doing things for free when you can when you are starting out now. That can be very challenging. Don't get me wrong, it can be very hard interning. Like, for example, anybody who ever works for us, they're always paid positions. We've never ever had unpaid interns, for example, So we always make sure that if you are doing a job, you get paid for it in some way, shape or form. The best thing you can be doing is just finding out what the going rate is supposed to be for that industry. So just do some googling. Just you can jump on and find out go to seek or career one. They can tell you the average rate of pay for that particular work that you're doing, and then if you wanted to, you know, reduce that rate a bit because you knew that's fine. You can always start lower and then push your rates up higher as you go. That rule number one is just don't work for free. The exception to that rule is if you are literally dipping your toe in the water to try to work out if that's going to be the career for you, or you're kind of gaining some experience. So if you do have your day job and you're dipping into helping out with some events, or you're helping out launching a restaurant or something and they've asked you to help, then sure you might want to do things like that for free as you go. But as you get to the point where you perhaps want to leave that business and start your own. Just don't work for free.
Speaker 1: And I was gonna say it also comes back to that overarching banner that we're going to stick in front of everyone's houses, which is no your work. I guess like for so many people, I think we value what our skill set is, or we under quote on things because on one hand, you don't want to miss out on the work, but on the other hand, you like you want to be competitive against what other people are. But I think for so many of us, asking for money, you know, setting your prices can be something that's so challenging, and it also feels a little bit debilitating to send out an invoice under your own name and be like, ook, that's it, Like, you know, and what are they going to think of that?
Speaker 2: Like, what are they going to think of this quote?
Speaker 1: If you're starting a new business, and you're also if you're the jack of all trades, you're the person who does the accounts, you're the person who does the pr the branding, everything. I think a really clever little tactic is to create a new email address with a different person's name, and that's the person that sends out quotes. That's the person that sends out invoices, and that way you aren't being the person who's asking for money. So maybe you have Sally from accounts and Sally from Accounts is the one that deals with all the money, and that way there's a little bit of separation there, especially if that's something that you struggle with or that it gives you a bit of anxiety or makes you feel like, oh, maybe I'm maybe I'm as for too much. Spoiler, Sally is you.
Speaker 2: Nobody needs to know that.
Speaker 1: I think I'm gonna have to change my account name nol Or. I think a prime example of this of having a level of sometimes you.
Speaker 2: Might offer a service for free.
Speaker 1: Really good example is when we got producer Keisha on board. We didn't search for producer Keisha produce a Keisha slid into our DM and she's done this mind you, but she read your book and it left a big impact on her.
Speaker 2: She wrote your book. She slid into our emails and she just said, this is my experience.
Speaker 1: I love your podcast. She said all the right things. Can I edit something for you for free? This is her saying I don't want any money, but it's just trying to prove her worth prove her skill set. Can I edit some one or two.
Speaker 2: Weeks for you for free?
Speaker 1: You can get my vibe, you can see if you like me, and then we can talk. And we said, absolutely, you can do that, but we will pay you for it, because I guess coming from a creative industry too, we knew that we could have absolutely in that sense, we could have said, yeah, let's see what she's got, like why not, and we could have not paid her. And I think that that is a prime of when maybe you can get away with it because she's approached us. But we value people's work, and after being in your own business, you realize that, well, they're at nighttime, taking their own time, they're putting their own effort in, they're doing their own skill set.
Speaker 2: They're very experienced. So in that sense, we paid her.
Speaker 1: But I think that's a really good example of if you're trying to get the foot in the door.
Speaker 2: Kisha got a job from that.
Speaker 1: She took a risk, she jumped in out of nowhere. There wasn't a position at that time going well, there pretty much was, but we hadn't advertised that yet. It was just divine timing, divine intervention. But it's a prime example, she got a job from saying, hey, you know what I want this, I'm going to go and try and get it myself.
Speaker 3: And she was very clever in the way that she also kind of gave a time limit on it. She didn't say I'm going to work for you for free forever. She was like, this is a sample of my work, you know, let me come and do some work for you for a little while. So it's a bit like dipping your toe in the water to say, look, I'd like to try and work on an event to see if I can prove my worth and show what I do. And that's a great idea because the event is a one off. You're not saying I'm going to do all your events for the next year for free. So that was a really great way that she did that, and she did it with heart. She did it in a personalized way, so she would have talked about everything she loves about you guys when you would have read it. I have no idea what she actually wrote, but I'm sure that everything that she had in there showed that she understood who you were, what you stood for, what you valued.
Speaker 2: She got the brief, she understood the brief.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that that then ties into this whole idea around personal brand. She totally understood the brief and when she came and approached us, she obviously took a few nuggets from the podcast.
Speaker 2: And different things.
Speaker 1: But can you talk to me a little bit around what is a personal brand? How important is a personal brand, and how do we cultivate one. There's a few questions there. How do you change a personal brand too? If you had something for a while and you're like, it's not my vibe anymore.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. So your personal brand is how you showcase yourself to the world, and in a professional setting, it's obviously how you showcase yourself in a in a work environment. So a brand itself is some total of what you value and what you prioritize and then how you showed that out to the world. So keep in mind that every day of our lives we're on show. So our audience every day are our colleagues, our bosses, our clients, our customers, any other suppliers. Stakeholders are family, our friends, We a lot of audiences. And then online obviously, if you have a social media presence or an online web presence, then that's people who are going to those sites are obviously your audience as well. So when you are looking to decide what your personal professional brand should be, it all comes back to your values. So you decide what your values and your priorities are, your list of ten things, and that's how you operate, and every decision that you make, every email that you send, every conversation that you have, every report that you file needs to be in line with who you've decided to be. And if that's somebody who strives for excellence, if that's somebody who strives to be successful, if that's somebody who strives to create some wealth, then it would have all of those things in mind. People also want reliability and consistency over time. It's a bit like building a brick wall, Like every little action that you take is another brick in that wall, and over time and over the course of your career, that wall gets higher and higher and stronger and stronger. And so it's consistently conveying your values to the world through the work that you do. Well.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter who you are these days, it doesn't matter if you have a public profile or not. Everyone to a level If you have an Instagram, you have a profile and.
Speaker 2: Your brand, whether you want to admit it or not.
Speaker 1: Every time you go for a job, and what's highly likely your potential employer is going to look at your Instagram.
Speaker 2: Our Instagram's now and it's a crazy world.
Speaker 1: It's a CV, whether you make it or not, whether it's intentional or not, it's a CV. Someone's going to go and say, let me get a feel of who this person is, to see if they're going to fit, to see if they're right, to see if their public reflection is going to reflect our brand. And that is something you need to be super conscious of. So maybe if you are, you can be so bloody good at your job and you could be a wild party animal on the weekends. Maybe you put your Instagram on private when you go for a job, and it shouldn't have to be like that, But this is the world we live in. It's a fact your employee is going to have a look at who you are, and it's unfair, but people can.
Speaker 2: And will judge you before they know you. It's literally just the world we live in.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 1: And like you think, when you say that, it's like we shouldn't be discriminated against for being the people that we are. That's all true, But at the same time, like, for example, if I was going to hire a babysitter and then I could see that they're getting mounted on a Saturday night.
Speaker 2: Not the babysitter. I want, you know, one that's at home reading the book. Yes you will. If you're posting photos of you with.
Speaker 1: Sally Hepworth, that's the person I'm going to hire.
Speaker 2: I'm hiring Sally Hepworth.
Speaker 1: Actually she was a bit wild man maybe, but sex clubs. But also in this idea of personal brand, how can we cultivate a personal brand? If somebody hasn't really thought about it, If they've got their Instagram and they're like, how do I create or curate a personal brand?
Speaker 2: Where can they start?
Speaker 3: So if you're doing it on your social media and the things that you care about are let's just use an example of somebody who wanted to be a teacher. So imagine that you really wanted to become a teacher, and so you are deciding to put something on your social media, whether it's your Instagram, your LinkedIn, your Twitter, your Facebook, keep in mind to you don't need to use all of those platforms. So the best way if you're using your social media for your career, it's choose the social media platform where your audience is. And your audience are your bosses or your clients or your customers, so work out where they are and then decide which platform you need to be on. So, for example, I have a lot of sort of C suite level execs who are in their fifties and sixties, so I'm often on LinkedIn and Facebook with them. Well, so they are not watching me on TikTok, So it's kind of just choosing what platforms you need to be on. You don't need to be on every platform, and you don't even need to be posting all the time unless what you're trying to do is convey your creativity. Like if you're a graphic designer, using Instagram is the perfect way to actually show off what you can do because it's the visual medium. So work out which platforms right for you first, then decide what it is that's important to you. So if you're that teacher, obviously liking children's probably important, Liking education, likeing research, liking books, liking any kind of learning teaching, it might be something about the environment. So whatever it is, it's authentic to you, though, you don't want to manufacture some fake persona that's not who you actually are.
Speaker 2: Well, the's a prime example. I don't know if you guys saw this.
Speaker 1: It was only in the last probably month, but there was a girl, Oh I think she was from I don't know if she might be in the UK or America, but she waked for an airline. She had quite a big platform on TikTok. You know that you're nodding back. She had a big platform TikTok and part of her TikTok was sort of outing secrets of the airline and it was quite innocent and quite funny. She had a big audience. Anyway, the airline got wind of it and they sacked her. So I just think, and I don't know what happened with that. I know she fought that and got a job back. I'm pretty sure she didn't. But the idea is you are a reflection of your workplace, and these things are going to creep up and there are going to be issues. If you want to be a teacher and you post a photo that says fucking hate kids, I've never baby sit on my niece and NEPVW.
Speaker 2: Again, you're probably not going to get the job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even at every department has a HR department that has every company has a social media policy.
Speaker 2: So I'll go and speak time. We are HR, we are everything that's.
Speaker 3: Great, and everybody has a social media policy. Find out what it is. Do you research. It comes back to being prepared. So find out what the social media policy is. And then, for example, if you're at your work, if you're in an environment where they love you posting on social media and talking about what the company's up to, just double check before you post things to make sure that you're not posting something that's confidential or you're not supposed to be posting about yet like that airline.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess at the end of the day, it was a confidentiality breach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: But I also thinking this, it's interesting when you said, like, you know, you don't need to be posting every day. I think if you haven't considered this idea that social media can be a tool for employment, that it can be a vehicle to actually help progress your career. And I don't just mean like having a work Instagram, because a lot of people will have, like you know, a brand Instagram or something else, but having consistency across both. I think something that I have definitely seen and I like happen is somebody having a brand Instagram and they're polished and perfect on their brand Instagram, but then writing nasty comments with their personal Instagram or just being a different version. It's like you don't get to separate the two.
Speaker 2: That is you, that.
Speaker 1: All ties into your personal brand. And oh I saw it recently actually on Abby Chatfield. It was a woman who was a psychologist and she wrote her Instagram as a psychologist was great, but then she'd written a really negative, quite body shaming comment and it had all been linked back and then she was outed for it on Insta And it's like that all ties into your brand, that is who you are on social media. Well, now if someone saw that, they're like, well, I'm probably not going to go to you as a psychologist.
Speaker 2: No, and that stuff.
Speaker 1: The problem with the Internet is that it's it's not just a once off. It's not something that you said to a friend that has a lifespan that goes beyond one comment. So I think that that's where we be careful.
Speaker 2: Never wipe it.
Speaker 1: You see all these people that accidentally post something online for two seconds, just takes that one person to screen grab it, and then it's on there for eternity.
Speaker 3: Consider doing a social media audit as well, because we've all now been posting on social media for a very long time. And if you were to go back all through your tweets or your posts, are you sure what's back from five years ago or ten years ago is something that you would be happy to say and happy to have out there about you now. Certainly, I've seen situations with clients where they've had hires who somebody has found out something that they've tweeted, and it was years ago, and they would have been very young when they did it, but it was quite racist and they were sacked immediately for it, and that person didn't even know it was there, like they've forgotten about it. And don't get me wrong, they should never have posted it. But also times change, like back then it was border like, probably still was never right in the moment, but it certainly wasn't as bad as it is now, probably more acceptable at the time if they felt like they could post it.
Speaker 1: We've seen it play out in the media we've seen it play out with media personalities that the stuff that you say five ten years ago it still matters. And yes, people change, absolutely, but in that same essence, like that stuff it gets recorded, the internet knows, and that shit can come back and bite you in the art.
Speaker 2: I remember when we went on The Bachelor. I did that.
Speaker 1: I went through my feet, and not because there's anything like in terms of racism or things like that.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of drunk food.
Speaker 1: But they do tell you they're like, look, if there's anything that you don't want to be plasted everywhere, go and have a look. So I just thought, I wonder what there is And it wasn't too bad.
Speaker 2: It was me.
Speaker 1: It was more just like awkward photos or things like that, or ex boyfriends that maybe I don't want them brought back into it. So I did that, and I'm sure everyone that's gone on any sort of show like that has done that. And I think that's a really, really great tip for anyone going for a new employment.
Speaker 2: Have a quick look. It's you see me.
Speaker 3: People who are hiring at the moment want to make the right decision. Hiring somebody as an expensive exercise for any organization and they want to make sure they're hiring the right person, and they will absolutely do their research.
Speaker 2: So they're going back to twenty ten.
Speaker 3: They are truly they're going to MySpace.
Speaker 1: Back in the day, you would post a whole photo album from going out and getting drunk on a Saturday night, and then that was what I did. I went back and I was like, I was so drunk, and I thought that that album, Hey, fun Saturday night whatever the album title.
Speaker 2: Was, drunk being pushed down the street. It's a good idea to post on the internet. What was the thinking time.
Speaker 3: Some of it is fun, and look, you will be there will certainly be organizations. Like if I'm looking at somebody's socials, I look at it with a fairly like generous lens where I'm like, oh, well, you know they were nineteen, Well how much fun they were having? Do you know what looks like you had fun? That's great exactly. So I do think that with social media and the evolution of it, people are now probably going, well, it was a moment in time and that's not who they are now. But you know, if you're looking back a year and seeing posts that are not on brand with the company, that you're about to be representing or to your point as well, about like that psychologist who posted something awful like, I've definitely not made highers based on some of the passive aggressive behavior that I've seen people happy to do and some people do. Oh no, if that's not who I am professionally, that's just in my personal life. I do not subscribe to that same girlfriend, same thing. Like it's who you are in your personal life is who you are in your professional life. It is not jacqual and Hyde.
Speaker 1: We're lucky that like our professional life is our personal life. You guys know all our deep, dark and dirty secret.
Speaker 2: You know you know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: But Beck, You've got your book right in front of you, and I can see you have a multitude of post it notes poking out left run center. I just want to ask you, obviously you've thought the things that stand out for you or the things that people are going to get the most benefit from. Can you just tell us, as I guess a bit of a wrap up, what are the main points that you would want to drive across or what are the things that people come to you the most for.
Speaker 3: So the most is Okay, this is a few things, so sorry if they're a bit scattered. This won't be very linear, it'll be more imagine this l like a brainstorm. But all right. So the main take homes that probably underpin everything that you've got. This was about is to know what you stand for. In order to stand out, you need to know what you stand for. So know what your values are and then work out what your passions are. Ask yourself that question, if I had all the money in the world, what is it that I'd be doing? And if you can work towards that, then great. It might take time. In fact, it will take time. These overnight successes that we see all the time a minority are such a minority, it's insane. And people do think overnight success, but they don't see the hard yards that you've been doing for years beforehand. They don't see all of that work that happens behind the scenes. If you are going to start a business, prepare to work harder than you've ever worked in your entire life. That is just the nature of running your own show. But on the upside, if you are starting your own business, it is I think one of the most satisfying, fulfilling things you can do. In your career because the buck does end with you, Like you're responsible for the successes, you're responsible for the failures. But you can do it. What else would I say? I think some good things are is know that if you're going to have a great career, you want it to be sustainable. So while working twenty four to seven for a short period of time is very normal, particularly if you're first starting out, you can't do that forever. You can't do that as a marathon. You will burn out. So putting structures into your life, like getting enough sleep sounds boring, but it's so important. Like most of us, Laura, I love each other, like I have two children two years, you really have. You're in the trenches right now, like when you've got young kids. That is the hardest, hardest time of anyone's career ever and life. And it comes down to sleeping when you can, taking a nap when you can, and knowing that these days will pass and this you shall pass. That's a that's important cot in sleep, but trying to prioritize sleep, prioritize healthy lifestyles, doing some kind of fitness or movement. It doesn't have to be hard. Go for a walk, get outside, get some sunlight, eat healthy food, Eat regularly. It's so easy to just kind of forget to eat when you're working really hard, and then suddenly you get to nighttime and you kind of eat everything in the fridge at once. Really try to schedule and put it in your diary. Schedule in breakfast, lunch, dinner, put it in. It seems really boring to have these structures in place, but they are what you absolutely need to do to create great work. There is this amazing quote by a French novelist called Gustave Flobur, and he said the name isn't it amazing to paraphrase because the translation is a bit strange, But he said, be orderly and calm in your life so that you may be fierce and original in your work. And the idea is that you create these great frameworks of looking after yourself, having a healthy body and a healthy mind in order to do really creative, interesting, fascinating work that makes a different in the world.
Speaker 2: Well, we're even trying.
Speaker 1: Like something we're trying to do here at Life Uncut with all three of us employees is because, for example, Laura will be the first person to say I don't even know when the last time you did any actual exercise, because you don't have any time.
Speaker 2: But we would no, but not out me. No, no.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying part of what we want to do now is in our workday, isn't our walk. We want to start the Monday work day within our walk. And maybe we are talking on that walk like it's still a meeting, it's whatever, But we're going to put that in because I think it's really important for what you said to trying some semblance of balance.
Speaker 2: So what would be your advice for people that are.
Speaker 1: Getting I guess discouraged from failure or because it is there's a time where you want to throw it in the bin and you're like, I can't do it anymore, like I'm not going to make it.
Speaker 3: Making mistakes is a very normal part of running any kind of business, having a career where a human will always make mistakes. And one of the markers of a really successful person isn't somebody who never fails. It's somebody who makes mistakes, learns from them, and gets over them as quickly as possible, something that a lot of people like, if you've made a terrible mistake or you've had to fail and you're feeling discouraged. A lot of people end it there. They go, well, one, I can't do it, obviously, I can't do it, so that's it. Or they go that was awful, and I've lost money and I've lost time, and I've lost friends or whatever.
Speaker 2: Sanity is exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm losing my mind. And that can be really scary and it gives you a lot of anxiety. But if you can put that aside for a moment and decide again, it's very boring, But we come back to our values. If that thing that you want to do is in your values and your passions, if that's in there, you're just going to have to get back up again and do it again. The one thing you've got to do is learn from your mistake. So this is where again you come back and you be a research scientist and you do an analysis of what happened and what went wrong, and that can take time. You've got to really sit down and go, Okay, well, what was the scenario, why didn't it work? What could I do next time to make it work? Is it worth me doing it again? Do I go down that route? So you've really got to just decide whether or not you're going to do that again. But you've got to make the mistake, do the research to find out why, find out how to not do it that way again, and then just get back up and do it again.
Speaker 2: Beck, thank you so much for coming on today.
Speaker 1: You've got this is your book for anybody that needs a little bit of help going in the right direction, figuring out what they want, finding out how to get that pay rise. It's an absolutely brilliant book. Producer Keisha swears by it. They got her a job, so it's done something for someone. Beck, thank you so much for coming and giving us some time today and being a part of the pod.
Speaker 3: Thank you Britt and Laura, and honestly, hearing that about keisha're like, that's why you write a book. When you have somebody whose life has actually been made better because of something that you've written and shared, that's why people write.
Speaker 1: So just to finish me, one question. You've seen us online, you've heard us, name's seen us in person?
Speaker 2: How's our personal brand?
Speaker 3: You two are so on brand us.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, You know that we never finished an episode without our suck and our sweet, our highlight and our low light of each and every week. I think you guys already know what my highlight was. But anyway, Brittany, what was your highlight? Was the sex or the weaken away by yourself, or the bottle of wine or it wasn't a bottle.
Speaker 2: Of wine, it was literally a glass of wine. Just FYI, I'll tell you in a second. You can go first. What was your suck? Start with that.
Speaker 1: My suck this week is I guess it's in preparation for next week.
Speaker 2: I'm moving house next week.
Speaker 1: You're preparing for something to suck in your life. I'm preparing, like the suckers started. No moving sucks, and I've started to just go through a lot of my stuff.
Speaker 2: And I only have a one bedroom in a sun room. But it is surprising how much stuff you accumulate, Isn't it wild?
Speaker 1: How much shit that you just put into cupboards And then when I really.
Speaker 2: Have cupboards, so I'm like, where is this stuff.
Speaker 1: When you do a cleanup. If you listened to last week's episode, you'll already know this. But basically britt and I are both moving on the same day. We're doing a bit of like house shuffling. BRIT's moving into my apartment. I'm moving into a new house, and I did the cleanup of like our top cupboards, Like one of them was our medicine cabinet.
Speaker 2: There is literally pills in there, like vitamins.
Speaker 1: It's nineteen ninety seven that have been off for four years, sunscreen that's been out of date for two years. I just did this big. I find it, do you know what? I find it very cathartic to do a cleanup like this. I feel good about it. It's my sweet. Actually it's not my sweet. Okay, what's this sweet?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: My sweet is that my new co host on radio, Mitch Churry. This is gonna be the shout out. I got a knock on my door. Oh it must have been Monday night. I'd been messaging him and I said I was feeling really flat and really down and out.
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 1: He was live on air when we were talking. He was like messaging me between his breaks, and then I got a knock on the door and I got like a Leita tub of Anita's ice cream, like the most delicious ice cream that I love sent to my door, love from Mitch.
Speaker 2: So that was just so cute.
Speaker 1: He was live on air, and he's like, do you know how hard it is to order a new berresse while you're live on air?
Speaker 2: So that was definitely my sweet getting a tub of ice cream sent to my door.
Speaker 1: If you guys have listened to the radio show, which we put up on our podcast feed, it's in the Mitch is our co host on the Saturday morning show, and he's an absolute fucking angel and we love him. And I think he's trying to buy my lass that I didn't get any ice cream, but okay, well we can talk about that the other day. Down I'm sad, too, Brittany to anyone listening, I'm sad. This is my address, send me ice cream. My suck for the week, do you know what like, Apart from like working a lot, which is not a suck, like it's I feel like very accomplished that I've managed to get through so much stuff. My suck was just like I couldn't spend my weekend with the girls, like I really it sounds silly, but even just having two days away from them, I really really miss them. And when I got home, Morley was like, Mommy, where'd you go? You go to do the works, and I was like, yeah, to.
Speaker 2: Do the work just down the road. Mummy hasn't five hundred meters down the road. No, No, I just I love the age they both. I love spending time with them.
Speaker 1: I can't believe Lola is almost one, Like, I just feel like time is going so quickly. So I genuinely felt like I've missed spending quality time with the kids in the past week. So that's my sock and my suite for the week is that I'm moving fucking.
Speaker 2: House and Lola old what was that voice? I don't even know, but I can't tell you.
Speaker 1: Honestly, guys, Lola has been sleeping in a hallway, Like I know, we joke about it, but I'm not actually joking. Like she has slept in a hallway for her entire life. She has slept in a portercot for her entire life. And now we're finally moving to a house that has three bedrooms, we're gonna have a backyard, Like it's just everything that we have wanted to have as a little family of four, and like it's happening on Friday, So I'm super excited. I wanted to be noted that I've been telling Laura she needs to move for about eighteen months, but I'm glad you finally got there.
Speaker 2: Do you know what it is? Though?
Speaker 1: And I've realized this, I'm like, I'm weirdly a creature of habit As much as I like to do new things, I don't really like change when it comes to my space and when it comes to my routine.
Speaker 2: I really stopped your cafes the places you wore. I know.
Speaker 1: I felt the same when I was going to move to I didn't want to move suburbs because I was like, but this is what I do every morning, and this is where I go totally, and it's almost like it's it's just a safety thing and a familiarity thing. And I think also like the apartment that we live in now, even though it's just a rental, it's not something I've never felt an attachment to a home before. But like we brought both of our babies.
Speaker 2: Into the world in that apartment, you know, like we have so there. I had sex in that apartment. Now I've got to move in there far out, but I have so.
Speaker 1: Many really beautiful memories of starting a family in that apartment, and so I feel a lot more attached to it than what I think I normally ever have and so yeah, it's been a big thing to kind of reconcile. But I'm really really excited about this week. So Friday we are moving house, British moving house. It's all happening.
Speaker 2: And that is it from us. Guys.
Speaker 1: If you have loved the episode, please jump on to Apple Podcasts. You can also do it on Spotify now. The cheeky kids at Spotify have finally caught up. Leave us a review, let us know what you thought of the episode.
Speaker 2: And we Mum tell you, Dad, tell you dog, tell your friends and share the love because we love love the Kama ba ba Laakabaya, thea