Speaker 1: The christ Jian O'Connell Breakfast Show Podcast Melbourn's Gold one oh four point.
Speaker 2: Three Live from Level two twenty one to thirty one, Goodwood Street. Wretchman, this is the Christian o'connal Breakfast Show on Melvin's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning, Welcome to Friday. For the wonders of a four day week. Bang you straight to Friday should be technically a Thursday, but it's not. Second old bonus track that women got. Now are straight into Friday, Pats, Remind me again, what do you said the weather's going to be this weekend? Mate?
Speaker 4: This weekend, it's.
Speaker 5: Going to be cooler today twenty four, Tomorrow thirty five, and then Sunday thirty seven, and then we'll get a light cal change in.
Speaker 3: The day Sunday thirty seven. What's tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Tomorrow thirty five?
Speaker 3: Guess is playing their first ever nine holes of golf tomorrow at midday midday midday.
Speaker 6: But you've only got one club.
Speaker 3: Still, I know, maybe this is a joke. Right, I had a golf lesson yesterday, right, and all I've got is golfers a nurse. All I own is a seven nine that was given to me by my coach. Right, we said, where's your clubs? I haven't got any clubs. He's lending me his not as good ones. He told me he's lending me some clubs so I can play with somebody else.
Speaker 6: So have you only practice with a seven nine? Or if you get to practice now?
Speaker 3: He lets me use that the putting yesterday and the big thing called his big Bertha, which is that the big thing you go driving off with? But I'm at thirty five, I'm playing golf, which means I'm going to be terrible tomorrow anyway, because I'm learning, and I'll just be out in that blazing heat.
Speaker 5: And you know what, you can't go back to the clubhouse for a baby. Oh yeah, us fast for you too.
Speaker 4: I'm got a little present.
Speaker 6: It's interesting to see.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, I'm not buckling. I'm going boost free from tomorrow for February.
Speaker 4: I've got a present here for you and Jack. I'm going to bring it in in the break.
Speaker 3: Don't bring alcohol near me? Is it alcohol?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 6: I think you meant to give that on February twenty eighth, might be my moonshine.
Speaker 3: So Jack and I doing fedfast, No booze for this month. I actually began it yesterday and Patsy, you'll get this. Then. It was like a school information night last night. My youngest daughter starting year seven and she went back on Wednesday and it was an information night about the year and all the systems and stuff like that, and they did now of that and it's actually very good. Then there's a bit I always get quite anxious out afterwards, where you're going to make small talk with all the other parents you don't really know anyone. So my wife immediately went to get a glass of wine for a solf of me and I went, I don't need one, so I know it's right to have one, though then these are all awkward. All the other parents were drinking. I went, I'm not going to have one. It was a test. I wanted to test my metal. If I can get through the crunching small talk and the feeling of dread there, then I'll be a onruar.
Speaker 6: It will be a breathe. So how'd you go?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: Do you know?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 8: Do know?
Speaker 3: I bumped into also their cross wife.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, your new best friend Shane Croft.
Speaker 3: So it was getting an update about how it all works. Being the other side. Shane Crawford obviously in the jungle in South Africa doing very very very well at the moment and hopefully I think he's going to win it as well. She was saying, how she's got this emergency phone number so if anything happens, she can get hold interesting, right, But they say it's only to be used the kids break a limb. You're not to use that number. That's what she was told. You know what TV producers like scub they are. You know, when they make those reality shows, they just it's all about the show. So it really is for someone's about to die or someone has died.
Speaker 6: Right, And she calls a producer of the show, and then the producer goes and tells you.
Speaker 3: So she saw three miscalls yesterday to think someone's happened to crawf He's falling down a ravine or who was eating a grubb or something and it's you know, he's got dysentery. She all said, look, we need you to start making these this weekend. They're going to give them the letters let where I want them to cry and stuff like this. He's got four boys who are very much mini Shane Crawfords, And at the moment their letter is mainly don't come home if you haven't won it. And I'm the viewers going, is there anything else they could put in there that's going to make Shane cry? So I think that's all they that's all they're saying at the moment. The other thing is is she was irritated that it hasn't been enough of his sleepwalking and she said to the producer, I'm not seeing any of the sleepwalkers. Oh, We've had to cut a lot of outs. It's so chronic. No. Yeah, And I said to that, said to Shane's wife yesterday, how bout it? What is it? Because Crauf told me that he goes sleepwalking. I thought it was just like some people that get up and they're gonna he will suddenly in the middle of the night the donner be ripped off her. He'd be stood on the bed scringing about a snake in the bed.
Speaker 4: Oh god.
Speaker 3: The other one, she said, is every two or three days he's suddenly hammering at the bedroom wall looking for the escape hatch.
Speaker 6: Every two or three days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is going on with that?
Speaker 6: That's we started to think, like, do we strap you down in the bed.
Speaker 3: Agn Yeah, I mean there are people. I know a comedian who has to be when he goes on tour, has to zip himself into a sleeping bag he takes with him him really tightly because his sleepwalking is is so chronic.
Speaker 6: So does he have a security guard in South Africa at all times?
Speaker 9: Because what if he gets up and shakes the kills a tree?
Speaker 3: What's the leopard doing in the tree.
Speaker 7: Camp?
Speaker 4: There is lots of wildlife at the campsite.
Speaker 3: Oh this loads. I mean, you know you've got deadly animals over here, but there's equally horrible stuff out in South Africa as well.
Speaker 6: Or he shakes brown out of a tree and.
Speaker 3: The hair all falls off, All right, give us a cool smart Then are you a sleepwalker? Are they grades of sleepwalking? Is it mild or is it severe? I'd love to know. I know some people do it in childhood because they're like anxious or stuff, and then they can grow out of it. But who has an adult is a sleepwalker. I'm fascinated about why people do this. Ninety four one four one oh four three Give us a coolse morning nine four one four one four three.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show Melbourne's Gold one oh four point.
Speaker 3: Three yesterday I went out and treated myself because I've got my first ever nine holes of golf after less than number four tomorrow and the Bacon heat at midday. Golf slacks, Oh funny golf pants? No no, no, just gone for guess what color?
Speaker 9: White or black?
Speaker 6: You sort of go.
Speaker 3: I've got a black pair and a gray pair. When I'm not in the mood for the black pair, I can totally change my look by going for a gray pair. I tell you this, never worn golf slacks before. I have never been in more comfortable clothing in my life. I might start wearing them to do the show next week. Tell you what I'm going to buy a year a pair of golf slacks, right, I'm just gonna wear them in here every day. I tell you what. They are so comfortable you want to bend down and pick something up, because you know the thing where they were not on the putting green. They they squat down there. You can't do that in a pair of jeans, or that's something a bit tighter.
Speaker 6: Squad down at eye level with the ground.
Speaker 3: I need you to go the printer you know, stuff like this. You need to do some errands and just to move around and be the organic broadcaster you are. I think the more freedom you have in fabric, the more free you are on air.
Speaker 6: I'm too restricted in changing.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, these golf slacks. Honestly, they are so comfortable.
Speaker 6: I would love a golf cut in.
Speaker 3: Here a golf cart and here would be wouldn't that be great?
Speaker 4: Did you can do with a golf cart?
Speaker 3: Got the toilet? Yeah? Do you know the amount of times I have to sprint out there right because I have a little stopwatch. Imagine go into the toilet with a stopwatch because I'm wired that obviously the song's going to end, or I'd be like, that's thirty seconds. And sometimes you go to toilet, you think I'm just going to quickly have a number one and suddenly hold number two once, so you think I can't wait, wait, I can't do this right now, not during this song. It's only three and a half minutes.
Speaker 6: So you go to the toilet, sometimes stand up to pee and then have to sit down halfway through.
Speaker 3: But just got to do what you gotta do. I used to work with a producer who would never ever go to the toilet work at all. No, he could never go to the toilet for number two out and about yep.
Speaker 6: I remember people like this at school. They would only do it in the comfort of their own home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he was an adult. He would only ever do a number two at home.
Speaker 6: And so what if he was what if it was more urgent? You know, what if he had did he ever leave work early or go home at lunchtime?
Speaker 3: Sometimes he would go and home a bit early. We were thought that he just was just rushing back to go and do that. All right, then we've got We've got Tim on the line. Good morning, Tim. You're a sleepwalker here make So what happens Tim when he sleepwalker?
Speaker 10: I through whatevers normally think I'll be doing amirroing house, but uh so I'll get up and normally I'll sleep naked. And there I was in the Color Hotel once and I've gone out and the shoot the door, you know, have they locked behind you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Always?
Speaker 3: Do you know what I've heard about this? And so many people who sleepwalk and they do it when they're in a hotel like you, Tim, And yeah, those irritating level changes and you just stuck out in the doorway, and you're.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, no, it's still said, and I guess the worst on him. I'm trying to knock quietly so my wife will answer the door, and I don't want to. I don't want to wake up anyone else, you know, fuck.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, So do you have to go down and get another key cut or what do you do?
Speaker 3: But he's naked.
Speaker 10: I'm just standing there, cupping myself, just knocking quietly and yelling and well quietly yelling her name. But e literally she did wake up. She comes and answer the door and just last me, but leaves me in the hallway. She doesn't even.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tim, isn't it when you try and knock quietly to wake somebody up? You ever done that on a night out? What you think is quiet when you've had a skin full? Am I trying to whisper not to wake anyone? You think you're so quiet when you're drunk, when you're sneaking in, you know, with the key in the door, and takes you an hour just to get the key, just to get the key in, the scratching up, trying to shove it through the letter box. Is it going this thing here?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 3: Sometimes I've done. What I've done is I've lined my arm up and my fingertips with a keyhole. Just put the key all the way down like that and then follow the way like that in when I've been in a really bad confused state. All right, Tim, thanks you car mate. All Right, I have a good weekend. God one A four point three come on us to Christian O'Connor Breakfast Show. Could be paying your bill in an hour's time thanks to tintacar don't drive naked this summer. I've got fifty thousand dollars to pay your bills. Head online Gold one O four to three dot com, do au.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: Kind of emails to get through here.
Speaker 6: One about pollwaffles, Oh yeah, we talked about them last year at some point I remember explaining them to you.
Speaker 3: This is our first ever late late to the party. So if you ever want to get involved bepart the conversational show, whatever we have been talking about, you can email at any time. It might be something that was a couple of days ago, and you to visit the time you got busy lives, You're not hanging on every word. You can email me. We still love getting those emails and call it late to the party. But if it's now about something that was last year, we're going to call those They've got our own special category. Now late late to the party. This is late late to the party, but great news. You love your poll waffle. There's some big deal being done where so it's they're about to be brought back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, But actually I was I mean a lot of us trains are vocal about getting the poly waffle back. I was saying, I don't think we remember them. I think we remember them fondly, but they're not as good as we remember.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's going to work in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 6: I just I think we because it's taken away from us. We go, we have fun memories and colored glasses. They they're just okay.
Speaker 4: No, I strongly disagree yet, No, they're just okay.
Speaker 3: I actually think as well. I think you. I think pats is right. I think you've got the voice of the people wrong. Here. Patsy's the first time ever since working with her one hundred and thirty shows, she's banging on the money.
Speaker 4: Sometimes.
Speaker 3: Sure, when people love polywaffles.
Speaker 6: Okay, when did the first ones come off the about Let's get something in here and then you can decide.
Speaker 3: Well, this email says recently you were talking about polywaffle. Just read in business news. I'd love this? Is that a headline?
Speaker 6: That's why I was in this next to the down giants financial?
Speaker 3: Don't that being down fifty? Polywaffles are off fifty? Just read that a South Australian company about to do a big deal with Nesle so they can produce the famous polywaffle along with bite sized Violet Crumble. Cannot wait, Lynn Flowers sharing the hot business news for us.
Speaker 4: It's been like ten years that they've been off the assembly lines, is it right?
Speaker 3: And of course when you bring back a chocolate bar now or some kind of sweet confection bar, now, you've gotta have the little bite sized version, haven't you, because they all have that kitcat More sorts of how lazy is that kitcat one? I mean you can just buy two fingers, four fingers and break into three pieces, can't you? How lazy are we that someone has broken them up into bite size chi do that with your fingers if you can't break a kitcat finger, seek medical help, don't buy a bag of pre broken kick cat pieces. And then do you remember this is just the late to the party?
Speaker 7: Was it?
Speaker 3: Last week on the show the guy called in telling us to take boiling hot showers to cool down to survive the heat weight.
Speaker 6: And then I did the experiment. I thought it actually worked for me.
Speaker 3: It also works in opposite temperatures. Podcast listener over in England tried this minus six degrees boiling hot shower, got out. He's sweating bullets warms him up, so it works in all climates.
Speaker 6: Wait, okay, yeah, but no, we wouldn't know that. I thought he said he was going to take a super cold show.
Speaker 3: He's stuck with the hot hot hot one as well. But he now thinks right even though he was sweating, because does he think it'd be better get him even hotter if he tried the converse, if he tried a cold show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we already know that hot shower is going to warm you up when you're cold. That's not science. He's going to try so it's minus six to the Okay, he's going to have a share at minus ten and then see if it warms him up. Getting out into the minus six.
Speaker 3: Ear okay, Greg back to you If you ever want to email the show, very easy email address Christian at Gold one A four to three dot com dot au.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three On this.
Speaker 3: Day, Mystery on this day, Bye bye, see you later. January we're into a brand new month, which means feb Fast for Jack and I. Pats has been resupportive. It's great to have teammates like this, beautifully wrapped as well, one Lome bottle of burfy, each with a calendar of February printed off on that we can tick off the days that we have no boots.
Speaker 6: Had you always fun like the gifts you give, always so well presented. You do that yourself? What do you buy it like that?
Speaker 4: I told you I'm a wrapping poin.
Speaker 5: I don't wrap stuff in Christmas rap when it's not christy.
Speaker 3: You've even got that, you know that thing where they do the curly ribbon that sort of.
Speaker 12: Already did that, But what do you do with it?
Speaker 3: You're like raping down the side of it with this.
Speaker 6: I Mentionine, it's dangerous for a seven year old to do paths.
Speaker 3: Nice always away from the body. It's absolutely thank you. All right. So on this day in mystery, first of February, on this day in history, big thing that happened. What do you think it was before that? Then a couple of notable mentions. I'm sure you all know that. In eighteen ninety three Thomas Edison old Madi what did he finish work on the world's first light bulb? Pats your guest computer a computer. In eighteen ninety three, someone's been on the rest of those furphies. There was a slam of them as any two left the computer. In eighteen ninety three, it was the world's first movie studio. Really, yeah, place Academy was the first one. Bang three years later. Let's move on to eighteen ninety six. Band hot new music from Baccini finally drops Labohem what is it? Beautiful? Beautiful piece of opera as well?
Speaker 6: Oh opera? Okay, I thought I missed a whole part of rock and roll that I didn't know about.
Speaker 3: In eighteen ninety six, so many many years before Chuck Bury and Bill Haley and his comments and all the blues that we stole the rock and roll from. You think one hundred years before that.
Speaker 6: Now I know how it feels to get laughed at forgetting All.
Speaker 3: Right, so here is today's actual thing I'm talking about, though I was about to give it too much away then anger all around this, but.
Speaker 6: In eighteen ninety two.
Speaker 3: Have a listen, all right, have a listen to this.
Speaker 13: I am really sorry if I offended anyone that was truly not my intentions.
Speaker 3: Em Rashano leaving the Today Show on this date. Now I got the dates wrong. Okay, lines are open now on this day in history? What was she apologizing for?
Speaker 13: I think I am really.
Speaker 3: Thanks for talking over it. What was she apologizing for?
Speaker 13: I am really sorry if I offended anyone that was truly not my intentions.
Speaker 4: I think I know it.
Speaker 3: You also know that the first computer is in eighteen ninety three. Phats doesn't now? Actually she got it straight away when I played it earlier. Because she's one hundred percent woman and one hundred percent news, it makes her two hundred percent. That's not a strong point. All right, give us a corn now, lines are open. What was she apologizing for? What happened back in the day on the February the first nine four one four one o four three nine four one o four three once.
Speaker 13: More, I am really sorry if I offended anyone. That was truly not my intentions.
Speaker 3: These days, I wouldn't even bother playing out an apology clip. It's like every hour somewhere in the world someone was apologizing. Back in the day, this was the first, I think in the first ever.
Speaker 6: Apology, first ever apology.
Speaker 3: It was the first ever apology, one hundred years after the first computer. At the first rock and roll song, they had no guitars that played on but they just mind.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: We're doing this on this day, mystery, on this day, on this day, and mystery, we give you some clues. You took about a big thing. Well moment, it's a small thing that happened on this day in history. All the things I was talking about, which also happened on this day in history in eighteen ninety six, was, of course, the other day that Puccini dropped a big new tune on the world. I mean, it's not my kind of thing, but doesn't that it was a banger for its time, oh number one on the Hot one hundred.
Speaker 6: I remember if we play it twice today, ten thousand dollars, Pete working.
Speaker 3: That's off love Ohm, no a beat, guarantee good movies too. Just have this blaring pull up to a Maca's drive through and just don't even order anything, just sit there listening to it for an hour crying. All right, But this is the thing I'm talking about. What is she apologizing for?
Speaker 13: Hie, I'm really sorry if I offended anyone. That was truly not my intentions.
Speaker 3: All right, what do we think it is? Let's go to Peter good morning.
Speaker 14: Come on, Christian, I know exactly what it is. A twin. Janet Jackson showed her boob alive on national television in America.
Speaker 3: That's it. It was well done, mate.
Speaker 14: Well guess she had some sort of metal nipple cover on that she was trying to advertise because she sold them or something. Apparently it was.
Speaker 6: A piercing, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Well here's the thing, So we're talking about what happened on the Stone History February one, two thousand and four. It's the halftime entertainment show, the Big Deal, the Big Show, and we're justin Timberlake and for half a second, all right, this is to bear this in mind for half a second, not a second, which is that half a second her nipple is exposed, but there's a nipple shield over it, and then the world goes into America goes into meltdown.
Speaker 6: But why are you saying nipple shield like it's a well known thing that we all know.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just reading from Wikipedia. I've never heard that, let alone. It gave the world the phrase wardrobe malfunction when it went to the dictionaries all around the world in the preceding twelve months. No one had heard that phrase before. You remember the wardrobe malfunction.
Speaker 6: And Peter, you're saying that she sold nipple shields.
Speaker 14: I think she was advertising it too, that she was advertising those nipple shields, and it was. It was all planned, totally planned from minute one.
Speaker 3: Now, why would someone use a nipple shield?
Speaker 5: So you're no, so your nipple doesn't right, Okay, No, so it doesn't get it.
Speaker 4: Stick out of your clothes? Smooth line.
Speaker 3: Right, I get it now, because certain dresses, if they are a finer gossamer fabric, can show the silhouette of.
Speaker 6: Okay, but wasn't this the shape of a sun or nipple? Wasn't it a star.
Speaker 4: Wasn't the whole thing was.
Speaker 3: A Setup's got star shaped nipples? Is that the same with all the Jackson's when they got together, it was like a consolation in the sky or something.
Speaker 6: The nipple shield. But all right, so I'm reading about nipple shield.
Speaker 3: Sounds a great new Marvel character. Nipple shield.
Speaker 6: This is an article from two thousand and eight, and her publicist is being asked about it again, was it was it purposeful?
Speaker 3: What was it planned? Premeditated? It was like it was a It became a trial. There was a half a million dollar fine. Years later, it was appealed successfully in the court of a Supreme Court in America.
Speaker 6: And she's saying, no comment. But if it wasn't planned, wouldn't you just say no, it wasn't planned. Why would you say no comment.
Speaker 3: Two years after it happened in two thousand and four. This is her chat and to Oprah.
Speaker 8: It has been now almost two years since Janet's Super Bowl halftime performance made news around the world. The FCC received more than five hundred thousand complaints about that broadcast. First that just was it planned? Janet?
Speaker 13: No, But people don't understand is he was to take and rip the piece off that he did a lether piece, right, but more came off than what.
Speaker 2: Was supposed to.
Speaker 3: Here's the incredible thing. So this happened in two thousand and four, it is before I think this was the first case of fake outrage. You know, we live in that world right now, there's real outrage and people deserve to be called out for when they behave badly or say the wrong. World were to refer to a group that can be better addressed now. But this is why this is This was crazy. Half a second of a shielded nipple. Half a million losers complain. That's that's the story there isn't it. And this is before two thousand and fourths before the internet, before social media. Can you imagine something that happened now? Do you think we'd be It will be less of a big deal. I feel like America's But America is not less reactionally now, it's even worse because we run in the country. Crazy man, do what he say about that?
Speaker 6: Well? Marine five is playing the next week.
Speaker 3: He's not going to get balled out, is he? Maybe? Adam Lavane really, hey, listen to these facts. Then YouTube co founder claims that the incident Nipple game war drub malfunctions what led to the creation of the video sharing website YouTube. The incident made General Jackson the mers searched item term event and image in Internet history.
Speaker 6: Of course, and people wanted to see the video but there was no YouTube back there.
Speaker 3: Isn't that incredible? It's sparked the germ of an idea. It still remains to this day the mers searched term event and image in Internet history. It's in the Guinness World Records as the most searched in Internet history, and not just that most searched and Internet history, the most searched news item ever.
Speaker 6: Wow, seriously, Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna search it.
Speaker 3: You're going to add to those numbers anyway. That is today's On this day in Mystery World, I'm Peter in Mount Martha.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: All right, then on today's show paying bills hopefully in the next mintal two, We're gonna call one of you up. If your phone goes and it's an unknown number, do actually take this one because it could be me paying off your bills. Also, we want to try and speak to you about Penpals, any experience, any stories you've got, good, bad otherwise about Penpals on today's show, and we're going to try and work out which was the best year for music in the eighties. We'll get into that next. Before that, though, it's time.
Speaker 14: For this.
Speaker 3: Fifty a dollar.
Speaker 7: Your bills.
Speaker 3: I'm paying your bills. Got fifty thousand dollars thanks to Tinta card. Don't drive naked this summer. Not only do you get your bills paid off at seven a m. Hopefully ten am, one o'clock in the afternoon, at four o'clock in the afternoon by me calling you, you get the money into your bank account within twenty four hours. That is a golden guarantee, what we call the double cheep within twenty four hours. Other radio stations, you've got to work six months at least for the giant check to turn up in the posts.
Speaker 6: And you're going to pay taxes during that time.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not with us. Twenty four hours you get the money because a lot of you you really really need this money asap. You can't wait for the account's department sheet us off against sick get back to watch Cheat Up No within twenty four hours you can get the money paid. Golden guarantee. I guarantee the boss has written down the golden guarantee. We're going to hear some shocking radio la this year for Gold's golden guarantee. All right, then, so let me take you through what happened yesterday, because they have seriously left me in charge of fifty thousand dollars. A couple of you have noticed how I am burning through this money like it's Brewster's millions. I'm enjoying it. I'm enjoying upping some of the mounts you're asking for. So yesterday we had quite an expensive day and it was only day three. Let me take you through what happened. We spoke to a lovely couple this time yesterday we spoke to Andy Robson and he had a bill for frozen embryo storage. We were talking about IVF they're going through at the moment. They've been going through it for a couple of years. Lovely couple. I'm going to give them back on in an hour's time. I've got another little thing for them. They wanted two hundred dollars. IVF very very expensive. It's not just a financial cost that's the emotional strain stress as well, and we rounded it up to fifteen hundred because they really are struggling financially. So Jack fifteen hundred yesterday. He only wanted two hundred, but we gave him an upgrade fifteen hundred dollars. Then at ten am, I spoke to Fonder electricity bill one hundred and thirty four dollars ninety five.
Speaker 6: And three four nine five.
Speaker 3: She couldn't afford that is paid. Zoe was there for me at one o'clock with a water bill. She's on unpaid maternity leaves. There was desperate for the cash. Three hundred and thirty bucks paid. And then at four o'clock I spoke to Old Simone. Cat's got tumor. Mate. Vets bills are very very expensive. Poor old buddy, he's got a tumor. He's not in a good way. Vets bills they mount up one hundred and thirty four dollars forty cents, which means the vet can top up the old speedboat this weekend.
Speaker 6: Goo one hundred and thirty four dollars. Pretty good for a surgery.
Speaker 3: That's just the start of it. Mate, that'd be like two tablets.
Speaker 6: So we come to a grand total over the three last three days of six five hundred and fifty five dollars eleven cents in.
Speaker 3: The bossardy mark this to the last five weeks. There's no wait the rate I'm going we're gonna be doing this. We're gonna need a bigger boat full of cash and that's the golden guarantee. All right, mate, we know we're going to call right now. Let's kill someone up. He has got a big bill. I really hope this guy picks up. He wants almost fifteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: I'm pressing.
Speaker 3: This is Glenn. Hello Glen, Helen, Glen, Hello, Glenn. Who do you think this is?
Speaker 14: This is Krishna and getting Glenn.
Speaker 3: You're live? Oh god, what a four point three? We're paying your bill?
Speaker 15: How good are you?
Speaker 11: Guys?
Speaker 3: Glenn? So you've got a house rate one thousand, three hundred and eighty one dollars and fifteen cents. Let's round it up to fifteen hundred. Why not? It's a Friday. Why not bit of extra on top? Have some drinks on us this weekend? Glenn? We're paying that one.
Speaker 14: Legends then perfect to be birthdays on Monday.
Speaker 3: Tech. Oh there you go birthday, birthday for Monday, Glen.
Speaker 6: Unless you're doing fair fast, No, that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Enjoy them in March. Oh no, he's not gonna happen. No way. So tell us about the bed. So I'm paying off the house rate. But the reason why you want that paid off is did your wife buy some big, old king sized bed.
Speaker 16: No, that would have been made. That was a spare of the moment decision.
Speaker 3: Spur the moment driving Norman do a U turn and go and having that bed.
Speaker 14: Little game's getting sick, so she sleeps in the a bit a lot.
Speaker 11: The misses, me, the dog and the baby.
Speaker 6: So you've bought a decoy bed.
Speaker 15: No big enough.
Speaker 14: Now we don't touch bad.
Speaker 3: All right, So the bill is on ask Glenn, and I hope you have a great birthday weekend. Buddy, well done, Thank you very much.
Speaker 10: Guys.
Speaker 6: All right, bill, the next chance to win after ten am we'register now Gold one O four three dot com dot U.
Speaker 3: It's as easy as that. Next chance to pay ten am this morning.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: Frank, you goes to Hollywood relax on Gold one O four point three, come on to Christian O'Connell breakfast show. When where I was looking all the music, the great songs are going to play this morning, and I saw that song was in there, and I remember it was banned. It's banned around the world for naughtiness. Really, Oh yeah, the last bit? What's it up to? I don't know.
Speaker 6: Wait, relaxed, don't do it.
Speaker 3: When you want to go do it? That's not what he says.
Speaker 6: Wait what turn the mics off for a second. All right, hang on when you want to Oh okay, wow, you allowed to play that on the radio.
Speaker 3: No, we got banned. There was some like DJ who was like, kids should be hearing this. Guess what that did made every single kid, including this one, who hadn't even heard the song, mentioned the band rush out, and by of course my mum and dad said, I couldn't listen to that in the house. You have to go outside in the garden listen to Frankie Goos Hollywood, not in this house.
Speaker 6: The same thing that happened with the sex Pistols, right, they banned there never mind the Bollocks album and they became number one because everybody wanted it.
Speaker 3: Do you know what, maybe we need to try and organize some kind of campaign where some like Clive Palmer tries to ban this breakfast Just do well and the old band on the Pommy. What year did that single come out? Then? Remind me what that was?
Speaker 6: Nineteen eighty three Frankie goes to Hollywood from Liverpool, English.
Speaker 3: Yeah, had some great songs as well, really really smart eighties band and went into the nineties. Well, Holly Johnson lead singer, had a huge and I think still does now a successful solo career as well, but they were very very cool. Welcome to the Pleasure domes a great song as well. In the Power of Love that Holly Johnson did is a great, beautiful song.
Speaker 6: After the Beatles, would they be the biggest export out of Liverpool.
Speaker 3: The biggest band from Liverpool? Yeah, Frankie got saw in the eighties and then you've got bands like the Lars in the nineties as well, and a whole load of other great Liverpoolian bands. So I was thinking about what was the greatest year for music in the eighties, The eighties. Great thing about the eighties was, and you don't get this now in modern music I don't want to sound like some old fart here, but it's true. A lot of chant music you hear now, and there's a great modern chart news that I really like and sharing and stuff like that, but there's an awful lot of it which sounds very, very similar. Eighties and nineties, those two great decades of music, and the sixties and seventies. I'm talking about the eighties. There was a lot of There was great indie music in the eighties as well, and you'd like bands like Joan Jett and the Psychedelic First and really great different rock music around then you had your big kind of your Duran Durande and your Wham as well making these brilliant pop songs as well spand Ou Ballet, you know, really smart the new romantics. So it's very it was very different. But I was trying to work out what one year, if you had to speak, one year from the eighties had some of the best songs, and I've in my mind this makes a strong case which over the year. But Jack and Patchy play along when I hear three yeses, as in would you want to hear these songs on this morning show? This might be a strong content I'm thinking last Friday, we did for an hour eight or nine songs to call us Down. Yea, I quite enjoyed that, handing over the music for an hour to everyone, thinking I might do this. Pick a year from the eighties. Pick a song from that. All right, So Whitney Houston, one of the queen of the eighties. I want to dance with.
Speaker 6: Some Yank's absolute favorite song.
Speaker 3: No what a person tired of? That song? Is some tired of life? I want to dance this as a joyous pop song. It stinks of Friday now.
Speaker 6: It reminds me of my wife.
Speaker 3: I love that song. Yeah, Phats, you don't like that?
Speaker 4: No, I don't like it. I think I'm sick of hearing it.
Speaker 3: Oh, welcome to Gold one of four point three. Sorry, someone's been a little bit too long, okaye, Pats, Yeah, cut backs.
Speaker 4: I'm allowed to not like it.
Speaker 3: You are with or without you? You too? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Y love?
Speaker 3: It isn't that a great song as well? This is all in one year nineteen eighty seven. All right, let's go to some other ones from nineteen I've had the time of my life.
Speaker 4: Dirty Dancing, Dirty Dancing soundtrack definitely No not for you.
Speaker 3: Sick of it? George Michael Now solo in eighty seven I Want Your Sex?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I love George.
Speaker 6: How does that song go?
Speaker 4: Want your six? Maybe I should?
Speaker 3: What was amazing? Get that drop? Get that drop?
Speaker 6: My word confidence because you practically whispered it.
Speaker 3: So you're sick of I want to dance with somebody, but you're quite happy to use the microphone and go I want your sex to everyone listening right now? Okay, crazy lady. Also, we've got when Smokey sings. Do you remember that ABC great pop song put in Disguise the Boss?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yes, Bruce Springsteen?
Speaker 3: Is it you baby? Or just a brilliant disguise? Wow? Doesn't that cut deep when you do it?
Speaker 6: I would like to hear you do the whole song just spoken word.
Speaker 3: We're only David covered Out does spoken word on this show as well. All right, what do you think is the greatest year of music from the eighties? And why give me a call this morning? Maybe you can try and build eight till nine. We pit one year from the eighties. You picked the songs, but I want to reason why. Might be just that it's your favorite song of the eighties or you saw them live? Or you had the ho when you had the singers. Well, I'm pretty sure Joshua Tree were of the greatest albums of all time. An album has changed rock music in a way as well. I'm pretty sure that was out in eighty seven as well, along with R a great Ram album as well.
Speaker 6: Okay, I know another one because it's the year I was born. It was a number one.
Speaker 3: Stop there, you weren't born eighty seven. I what fourteen? I was a teenager. I could have come and seen baby Joe. I was fourteen.
Speaker 4: What you could have been?
Speaker 3: Fan? This is so depressing. I'm hitting the ads.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: Asked you this morning when he reckon was the best year for music in an awesome decade the eighties, Call me if you've got an idea ninety four one four one O four three. Christian, I just had a look at nineteen eighty seven. You two didn't just have with it without you, you also had this. This is a great song. Still went this the other day, the amazing video on the rooftop in Vegas. All right, let's go into the lines. Good morning, Nick, Mick.
Speaker 15: Mick Christian, Hey going.
Speaker 3: I'm good. Happy Friday, Mick.
Speaker 15: Thanks to you and to all. But the best thing about it the Idies was the early Aldies. They started bringing in mixed albums and I remember nineteen eighty two out of.
Speaker 3: The Blue, Oh wow, remember these? Yeah, and.
Speaker 15: Jon Jet the Black heart YEP with Olive rock and Roll and Roy Parker Jr.
Speaker 3: What a sexophone they used to bring out, Like if I've got this right, Mick, it was like a double vinyl album of a load of hits of that year. So it used to be called something like now that's what I called music or hits eighty one, and it was just a double album of nothing but big hits on that year.
Speaker 15: Awesome, awesome because you didn't just get the best of one, you got the best of everything.
Speaker 3: You get about twenty tracks. So if you couldn't hold the bill the albums, you had your own vinyl mixtape. It was great.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 15: And another one I remember too was with a Bullet and I don't remember quite what year that was, but yeah, it was. It was great. And I remember that from back in school days we had one class that we could listen to music in uh and believing all it was textiles.
Speaker 3: Music.
Speaker 15: So we were walking out in front of the same.
Speaker 3: Mick, do you remember where which vinyl shop you got it from as well?
Speaker 15: Oh, make would have been back in the day it was. It was a record shop in Shepperdon. So I'm getting on a be Christian, I can't remember.
Speaker 3: Well, Matt, I just found out that in nineteen eighty seven I was fourteen and Jack was zero.
Speaker 15: Well I would have been ford In in nine eighty two as well, so that's something about four years old.
Speaker 3: All right, Mack, you have a great weekend thanks to that one, buddy. Thanks boys, all right, have a good weekend. That's got a Neil, Good morning, Neil.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Christian? Hell are you mate?
Speaker 3: I'm good mate, really good. Actually, what do you think was the best for music in the eighties?
Speaker 7: Undoubtedly nineteen eighty five with the anthem of the nineteen eighties Have to Be and the group from the nineteen eighties dire Straits Money for Nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so many gym right, one of the great first early MTV videos.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the computer generated yew is that money for nothing?
Speaker 3: Is it? I want my MTV? They didn't sing it like that was a little bit better and in tune. They remember Die Straits. That album was the biggest selling album of It was one of those coffee table albums. Everyone had a copy of that.
Speaker 7: We did the guitar solos by Mark Noflin testy absolutely great. I used to drive long in the car with windows open and the tape tape of the car going something out. The guitar solo absolutely said testing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you remember that song Brothers and Arms? I still love that song now distrates brother and Arm. They used West Wing a couple of other TV shows and movies of the amazing, amazing song.
Speaker 7: Yes, I remembered over to the UK a few years ago. I bought from one of the opp shops here a dire Strates record was a twelve each. I think still got it. Wow, great us cord it. I think i think I've got it, Sir, A pound or two pounds?
Speaker 3: Then, yeah, I wish Antiques Road Show would go to more op shops. She gets in great violin you do over the years the Antiques Road Show get into an op shop. Okay, some of those Vinie's got some grass. This lone roller boot Let's having a look. From nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point.
Speaker 3: Three Phil Collins, you can't hurry down. Finally in town tonight tomorrow night at the Amy. We are going to be there tonight. We've got a station night out. I think there's about fifteen twenty of us all going down. I'll also be doing the backstage tour with our big winner from last week, with the winner, the winner's wife, and my wife. She's super excited about it. Used to think that there's going to be surprised. I said to her, Look, we're probably not going to see Phil Collins. You know, they're getting ready for the big show and they don't want to be distracted. Yeah, he's got to get in the art to focus. He's not dead yet, so who knows. He could be an incubator. I could be walking past the room and he who's that done? Go in there? Don't go in there? Okay, all right. She seems to think, Oh, I think they're just saying that to you, so it's gonna be surprised. I went, no, there are no surprises in this industry. There will not be Phil Collins. Like with a couple of ice cold beers for us all. It's not going to happen.
Speaker 6: If you're like Lucky, maybe you'll meet Huggy.
Speaker 3: All right, So this is the year we're going to go for. We're going to try this then eight till nine on the show this morning. We're changing everything, and nineteen eighty seven is going to be the year we're gonna pick. Maybe we'll end up doing this seven next couple of fridays, we'll see how it goes. So we're gonna pick a year, nineteen eighty seven. I'd like you to all think about what you're up to in nineteen eighty seven. Easy one for Jack?
Speaker 6: He was born well, I can't remember much of it, actually.
Speaker 3: Patsy, I was fourteen. You don't have to volunteer age here, it's up to you. Oh she's gone, or don't even speak here?
Speaker 4: Sorry? What was that?
Speaker 3: Boys? Do you know what she was just doing? Because I've got a monitor in here, headphones off, doing her hair.
Speaker 4: I was doing my lipstick.
Speaker 3: Get it right, son, get it right, Patsy, nineteen eighty seven, I was fourteen. Jack was zero. How old are you?
Speaker 4: I was fourteen as well?
Speaker 3: Yet in sister, all right, we're looking for you to pick songs from nineteen eighty seven if you need any any little nudgets, there were some great music out. We just found out one of my favorite albums of the of the eighties and member but saving up pocket money to buy it. Fight for Your Right to Party Brookler Her Beastie Boys, amazing album cover, amazing album as well. That was out. Fight for Your Right was out in eighty seven. We've got to have some up. But these are your songs, okay, So what do you want to hear from nineteen eighty seven? Nine four one oh four three, The.
Speaker 1: First Time O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: If you're going to feel Collins tonight, and I know a lot of you are, and you see us, come say hi. If you don't know what I look like, you just close your eyes. You'll hear me. You're more likely to hear my wife actually go why can't we meet Phil Commins? All right, then, so we're asking this morning. Next hour music's all picked by you. We have an hour of music. We know music at the moment. Songs from nineteen eighty seven we're going to go with that year. Some great stuff out there what would you like to hear on why? Good morning Shanade, Good morning Christian. What a beautiful accent that is the Irish accent, Shanade, Welcome to the.
Speaker 17: Show, thanks Christian.
Speaker 12: Or nineteen eighty seven, I was sixteen years old and it was a massive year for you two. I'm a huge two fan.
Speaker 3: Yep, Joshua Tree and so many great singles.
Speaker 12: So that year was without you, yep. I still haven't found what I'm looking for and we're the Streets of No Name, remember that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, only one twelve months those amazing songs which still play now, that's right, all right? And when was the first time you saw them live?
Speaker 12: And I was sixteen years old in eighty seven?
Speaker 3: Yes, so you saw him in the original Joshua Tree tour?
Speaker 12: I sure it did.
Speaker 7: Ye.
Speaker 12: Whereabout concert as well? Croak Park and Dublin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was about to say, was it in Croak Park? That's an amazing place.
Speaker 10: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great. You know that Connor McGregor is hoping to fight there this year.
Speaker 12: No, I did not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if you've been Conor McGregor fan as well. They do want connected. By the way, he's going to fight. He's going to fight, fight. Take those glasses off. He doesn't know where he is? All right, thanks you come. I have a great weekend.
Speaker 17: Thanks Christian.
Speaker 3: You say goodbye to Joy? Who doesn't need some join a Friday? Good morning, Joy, Good morning? How are you? I'm pretty good?
Speaker 14: Joy?
Speaker 3: What some would you have to hear? From nineteen eighty seven?
Speaker 16: Everybody have fun tonight by Wang.
Speaker 3: Chunk get in. We have to play that. It's a great eighties feel good Friday track. Isn't it correct? Done? I'm putting it in all right? Thanks Joy, Thank you, have a great day.
Speaker 1: Bye The Christian who connell Breakfast Show Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: Forty two years later since this came out, still no idea what everybody wang chung tonight actually means? Is it a verb to wang chung o? We wang chung? All right? And do you worry about that? And we're going to Wang chun again tonight. It's a cold one of four point three. Good morning. It's to Christian O'Connor Breakfast Show. So we'll letting you pick all the music between now and nine. I thought we give this a runout. Maybe we'll do it every Friday. Pick a year eighties or nineties whatever, and all just drilled down on some of the great music that was out that year. So kicking us off, Joy and Baswater got a brilliant one lined up before that. Then yesterday we were paying your bills and we spoke to a couple. They're going through IVF and they just wanted two hundred dollars, because when you're really up against it, one hundred dollars, two hundred dollars is make or break. You are desperate, you're really really in a tough spot, and I you know, it's they really needed help, and we decided to give them not just a two hundred dollars, but up it to fifteen hundred dollars. And they didn't ask that, they just on to two hundred dollars. However, so many amazing emails have come in since yesterday. We will talk about IVF and Pats was brave enough to talk about her experiences with IVF and the financial strain. It just cripples couples because you're desperate to your parents to bring a new life into the world, you know, and people put themselves through real financial tough times to do it. And there's the emotional dry strain and train on a relationship as well, So we already felt for this couple yesterday Andy and I to want to get him back on to have a little chat Andy, good morning, Good morning. Hey listen, Andy, thanks so much for chatting to us yesterday. And I really hope you don't feel like I was just putting you on the spot by prying into very very private details. But I just want to say the power of you talking about that and opening that up yesterday. You know, seriously, all throughout the day I'm getting emails from men and women. No one ever really talks about IVF, especially this time of the day on breakfast shows. It's all hidden away in the shadows where has no reason to be. So thanks to you and you love as well being up for just talking a bit about that. It is really helped people. So oh good on you for doing that.
Speaker 16: Well, thank you very much. Yeah, I think that's something we shoull talk about a little bit more. It is a tricky subject, but you know, it's we've all got a goal and we all want to get there. So yeah, yeah, good, happy, good.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, listen, hopefully I've got something right now that might meet you a bit happy because I think you and your wife Ilsa, you need a night away. So I've recently got to meet a guy, Andre and he runs this quite small hotel. It's called the Langham and I called Andre yesterday and he was kind enough to say when he heard about you, what you've been going through, he's giving you a night in the Terrorice Room, which has got stunning views of Melbourne. You get, you get a free night there, you and your wife, so you deserve a night away. It's incredible, all right, So have a great time there. That's for you and Ilsa.
Speaker 16: Thank you so much again, I can't oh incredible, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: So where is where is Elsel right now? Is she there? Because yesterday I could hear in the background, but there was about an hour ago when we came up with you.
Speaker 16: She's she's gone to work today. She was she was ill yesterday so she was off work. But she's she's gone to work this morning.
Speaker 3: Oh great, Well, I hope she's starting to feel better and you guys can have a nice weekend. But yeah, let your wife know you're gonna have an amazing night. You're gonna have a nightway on us it's at the Langham. You've got your lovely views there in the terrace room, which is not this amazing mega suite, So that is on us. I really hope just for a couple of hours a night you can just try and just have a great time together.
Speaker 16: That's spectacular.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much again, Kate, Andy, it is my pleasure. I'm happy to help as well. All right, look after this, after you two again. I really hope much. I really hope this year is kind to you both as well.
Speaker 16: Ah me too, me too, and thank you again.
Speaker 3: All right, Andy, take care buddy, see I have a great weekend. Big love to Elle sir as well. Good luck, Thank you. All right. Let's go back to nineteen eighty seven. Now this is for Sanade and many of us, you two fan and then they had about two or three songs out one of the greatest rock albums of all time, Joshua Tree out in nineteen eighty seven, as well.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point.
Speaker 3: Three excuse me no more? Can you throw that tuber?
Speaker 6: He has a Tumeric tea and it looks disgusting. It makes the water completely yellow. But not even like a sea three yellow, like a yellow paste.
Speaker 3: It's like a silt. And I think you're not meant to have it. How I've been having it. And you know when you sometimes have a silty drink. Actually no, because while we any want to do that, it's still a sull of. It's caught off my throat. Supposed to be called a golden latte, but that is no idea of golden.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 6: No, I've had a golden La Cafe and that's not what you're drinking.
Speaker 3: Hot mudd in the cup. All right, nineteen minutes past eight. What a great song there you Two Streets Have No Name. All music from nineteen eighty seven pit by you. Between now and nine o'clock this morning. We want to talk about pen pals also now on the show, you had a pempal. Yep.
Speaker 6: His name was Josh. He lived in Nebraska. Our whole class had pempals a certain school with a certain school. Yeah, so you each got a different student. I was trying to remember what he wrote to me and what we talked about. The only thing I can remember is he asked what beaches were like. Oh wow, because I guess he's in the middle of America, not too close to him.
Speaker 3: I forguess no internet to be to find those images within nano seconds. You would have been a window on a very different world.
Speaker 6: Oh well, Josh, let me tell you. The beach is like imagine the pool, but there's insand and it goes on forever.
Speaker 3: We our schooled did the same thing, and it was a Pempal system, and I had one called Michau and he was in German, in Hamburg. And in the end then we all went over to that school and stayed with you pempal.
Speaker 6: That's nice.
Speaker 3: So it didn't go well. We get there and him his parents having a blazing row because they've just told him that this English lad coming over. He's in the state, in his bed and he's in sleep on the counch for a week. So I'm going into a bad atmosphere nighttime. I've never been away from mom and dad. I'm very homesick, okay, I'm a little bit weepy. And then I'm just having a look around his bedroom. Of course you were, okay, Yeah, In fact, this was nineteen eighty seven. I was fourteen when I.
Speaker 18: Did this, right, I'm having a look around his bedroom under his bed, I find a trunk. In that trunk were images that I had never seen before. They were magazines, and they were magazines. Can only describers what can you call them? Grumble magazines or you know, pictures. So when you said adult magazines.
Speaker 6: When you said I went to Germany on as an exchange and I had a girlfriend there for five days, it was actually a magazine, newly magazine.
Speaker 3: It was not dishnitzel. It was an actual proper one. Okay, how dare you all right? So what I hear? Did you have a pen pal? Give us a cool this morning? What happened with your pen pal? Nine four one four three.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point.
Speaker 3: Three forgot what naughty? Someone this says?
Speaker 6: Hey, why does he have to say I'm your father, I'm not your brother in there? That's not arousing.
Speaker 3: Maybe just need to take a break from all the other arousing that's going on in there. You know, it's cool down for a bit. Georgie Boy, George and Michael I wanted sex from nineteen eighty seven. A lot of you requested that musically from nineteen eighty seven. Between now and nine o'clock. Loads of great songs are coming up the next half an hour. We're also blameing that for Pats. A couple of times I've told her off for basically saying stuff that's like coded messages to a husband Chris, And sometimes we don't understand it, but I think I know what this meant earlier. Six Yeah, you know it just could be careful that at work perhaps if you want to do that, it's a text for that.
Speaker 5: Oh, he's gotta be so embarrassed in the office today, sick.
Speaker 3: What's that Your husband, Chris that works at office works is going to be embarrassed because of this?
Speaker 4: Ah six six six.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point.
Speaker 3: Three Since you got this morning on the show and ask you to pick music from one year nineteen eighty seven, this year Heather in Philip, Iden and Scott and where we want to hear that John farnhaman pressure down. It's just coming up for twenty to nine. Were talking this morning about pen pals who had one. How did it go? Let's jump on the lines right now. We should have Heather, Good morning.
Speaker 17: Heather, Yes, good morning, Christian.
Speaker 3: Yes, good morning, Heather. How are you this morning.
Speaker 17: I'm very well, thank you. I have a pen pal and I've had a pen pal for fifty two years.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's incredible. Five decades years.
Speaker 17: That's right. I was twelve and she was ten when we started writing. Yeah, she's in Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania, and we started writing, and then we progressed emails and now we're very modern and we skype.
Speaker 3: Ah, this is great. I think that's amazing. You've gone through the decades of any and change we have.
Speaker 17: Indeed, we sometimes struggle with Skype.
Speaker 3: But we manage and tell me this then, So as you've gone through life having this this friend, stuff must have gone in your lives, stuff must have gone on her life, and you've got this kind of wonderful shared history together.
Speaker 17: Oh, it's amazing shared history. I met her for the first time when I was twenty three. I went to visit her, and it was just like I've known her my whole life. We were best friends, like we were in neighborhood. You know's incredible, just fabulous. And then in my in two thousand, I took my husband and two children to meet her. Husband and two children. So it's been great. And then when I retire we plan to meet up again.
Speaker 3: I think this is increding you do what you or either you're like the poster girl for pemp pals. Yeah, exactly this hell. Do you think the younger generation even know about pemp pals? Because you know what pens are? These? These the fingers the pen Now for young kids? Do you think they pempals did exist as a thing for younger kids.
Speaker 17: No, they have absolutely no idea what a pempell is.
Speaker 6: No, Heather, how did you first find you pempal?
Speaker 17: It was, like you Jack, just through school. We were asked if we were interested, put our name down, and yeah, I got her name and yes, just worked out perfectly for us. We're best friends.
Speaker 3: That's incredible. Have you still got some of the original letters?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And then you would have gone through obviously the teen years and all the all the drama, get with that. Have you still got all those?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 17: I haven't, but she has, And sometimes I cringe when I think about that.
Speaker 3: You know, wouldn't you love have you heard or seen some of the recent I'd love to hear some of those, wouldn't you?
Speaker 17: Oh? Yeah, yeah, it would.
Speaker 3: Be I reckon, that'd be a great podcast series. Told letters, write that down for someone steals it.
Speaker 17: Ah, Well, in my day it was letters. So when I went overseas, I was away for a year, I wrote letters to my parents every week.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 17: I have those letters because my mum kept them and I just haven't been brave enough to open them and read them.
Speaker 3: Ah, you should do. It's like catching up with the younger. Soal it be a lovely thing to do.
Speaker 17: Well, exactly, maybe I will. You know it was forty years ago.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, Heather, I've love chat to you and do you have an lovely weekend? Thanks? You give us a cool take care bie. Let's go to Andrew. First of all, thanks for holding on so long.
Speaker 11: Not a problem, Christian. How's the morning.
Speaker 3: Hey it's going really well, mate, and Andrew pennbows Do you have one? Yeah? I do.
Speaker 11: Look it was nineteen ninety three. I was a kid in high school and I went to the local woollies and the teen magazines on the rack and there was an actress, Arianna Richards from Jurassic Parts One girl.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I remember the oldest sister kids in Jurassic Park.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's the one, that's the one, and I was just I thought she was gorgeous, and the article in the magazine she was funny. So I went and saw the movie, obviously, and I wrote her this long three or four page letter, as you do when you're sort of that age, and it was quite an interesting one. So after that I didn't hear anything for quite a while. I bought a couple of photos off her web shop, and her mom sort of email, this.
Speaker 3: Is great, May, that's that's amazing.
Speaker 6: Web sure nineties as well.
Speaker 3: That must have been early, I think, and she was things called bulletin boards. They weren't even that was exactly right, Yeah, that's exactly right. I used to buy video American TV shows on bulletin boards.
Speaker 11: That we jumped on bulletin boards and things like that. I've actually got a few of her early fan mail which came addressed from America and it was like six a four photo copies to the paper and it would be issued like once a quarter or something. She's been doing and horse riding and all of these sorts of things.
Speaker 6: But then she's not really a pimpal Andrew.
Speaker 11: She don't know what happened that the story continues. What happened was I sent a few emails to her mum, and then she sent a couple of emails back to me, and then I sent this was as it started. This was probably five, ten, fifteen years throws it down the track.
Speaker 3: So it's a long time after Jurassic part she's probably asking for you know, those emails we all get there Jurassic Packed, Yeah, from Steve Gutenberg, say please you know.
Speaker 11: So to this day we basically email each other every couple of months, a few times a year, back with and forward. Incredible literally about what she's been up to in life, what I'm up to in life, and.
Speaker 3: What is she up to now? Is she's still acting and doing well.
Speaker 11: She's an artist. She still does some acting gigs, but she's actually an artist. So she's quite accomplished one number of awards in America. She gets still invited out to a lot of Hollywood things like twenty five year Reunion.
Speaker 3: Especially because the movies are back in the mix now, Chris movies too.
Speaker 11: So she sent me a lot of emails and photos and things from from what happens when she went to this particular night. So yeah, it's quite a good little friend.
Speaker 3: Now tell me are you married, Andrew?
Speaker 11: Well, I am married.
Speaker 3: How's your wife feel about this? Because hesit? I used to have like you. I had had a crush on Kenny LeBrock from the eighties and a couple of years ago I got to interview and she we got on really well, and she me out for dinner. The fourteen year old me, I posted on my warfare right. I was so excited I'm going to actually go out to dinner. I rang my wife. You don't mind, Kelly the walk is inviting me out for dinner. She She's like, do you mean the woman that used to fantasize man as a grubby little teenager? You're going to go out for anywhe No?
Speaker 12: Are you?
Speaker 3: She actually hung up on the line. Are you mad?
Speaker 11: Oh wow?
Speaker 3: So what is your wife? Sorry? Andrew? What's your wife think about this? Look?
Speaker 11: She's comfortable with it, but to an armed length distance, Like Mariana in America, I'm in Australia.
Speaker 6: You're never allowed to travel to the US.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 11: Well, funny say this because when we got married, our honeymoon, we were going to go to the US. And once I told Ariana, then she said this is great, and she was single at the time. This is great, we have to catch up. We'll do this, we'll do that. Funnily enough, all of a sudden we all go into Fijia. It wasn't the US, was it.
Speaker 6: You had a chance to meet her, Andrew, or it's still pending.
Speaker 11: No, I haven't. It's still pending one day. She's married now with kids, and my wife and I have a child.
Speaker 3: So it's a great story. I think it's a.
Speaker 11: Lot more comfortable now if we ever get over. My wife and I have got a joke that yeah, we should definitely.
Speaker 3: Andrew, I can't thank you enough for calling us on so Ga. We got to take your story because it's an amazing story. But it's all ongoing. We don't know what's going up in the next couple of years with you too.
Speaker 11: Well, it is ongoing. It's literally a few times a year and whatever it is, you know, whenever something interesting happens in one of our lives. Unfortunately, my son was bitten by a dog two weeks ago, which was OK, but he's getting.
Speaker 3: Over it now.
Speaker 11: He's got a nice scar. Unfortunately a few days.
Speaker 3: Poor thing.
Speaker 11: But that was one of the first things I wanted to do was sort of shoot an email through and after the dust had sort of settled and just.
Speaker 3: First da dog emoji, angry face emoji, blood emoji. Andrew is brilliant. Okay, hi from us next time.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I will do that.
Speaker 3: I will do that, all right, buddy Andrew, Thank you so much.
Speaker 11: You're cool, not a problem. Thanks.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: This is good news. So I'm getting so many people asking me about are we going to have Fleetwood Mac tickets? People are very very excited, rightly, so they are living rock and roll history. Uh, Fleetwood Mac coming over. New show has been announced Fleetwood Mac Monday, September the ninth at Rod Laver Arena. Tickets on celt Time right two o'clock today. What's happening to the guy at Live nation dot com. You've got a big lunch your physio. Those tickets up?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: To where are you? I did tell you the today it's got zimber in the morning. Put the kids out. You should be able to get them up for two. That sort of thing that the crack we hear from here is that we should have it. Just tell them we'll be up in the afternoon. We should have you have it done. You should have it done for five at two o'clock in the afternoon. No, only like nine am your early chance to get tickets two pm after lunch at Livenation dot com dot au. Is that our chance to get any free ones? Now I'm jacking. Two o'clock's best time to get tickets.
Speaker 1: Actually the Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show Melbourne's Gold one oh four point.
Speaker 4: Three right now it's sixteen degrees. Hey, what oh?
Speaker 11: So?
Speaker 3: I forgot my micro was on PIM. I thought why Jack was going to h out?
Speaker 4: I'm really sorry, Pat, do you want to hear the outre?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Have you got a bill that you don't want to pay? Christian is with fifty thousand dollars and some bad manners, I might to pay your bills all day today. Send us to yours at Goal one o four three dot com dot au.
Speaker 3: I'm really sorry, what up there? As I'd forgotten I put my microphone on a jack and I thought this Jack and I here an offair. Hence I wu Cheerjack up. Sometimes in nine it gets a bit tired by putting on a funny voice and going so hot is already cheered up? No, alright, Friday time waste for you all. So Jack and I doing fab fast. But you can have your fun with boozy songs getting you in the weekend mood. How have you got on with your boozy songs? Up now?
Speaker 6: So delivery will be.
Speaker 3: Great, twist and stout good, sweet home Alabama, slammer, very good, losing my relig jin gin.
Speaker 6: Points for delivery.
Speaker 3: And from all the single ladies to all the single malt whiskey ladies. Yeah, what have you got then? Boozy songs?
Speaker 6: Every sip you take doesn't craz billy gin.
Speaker 3: Yes, yep, gold.
Speaker 6: Ballroom sprits and pink floys. Wish you were beer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great one. That's the best one, all right, the best one we get in the next ten minutes. For your boozy songs, you get Banana Rama tickets returning to Melbourne this month and hour into February twenty second at the Forum special guests from the Eighties Tiffany Great Eighties Night Out. Tickets are on sound now through Ticketmaster. Text your boozy songs to us then oh four seven five O three one oh four three oh four seven five O three, one oh four three.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: Go on one o four point three, Good morning. It's the Christian O'Connor Breakfast Show. It is now time to mark your at work time wasters today, Can.
Speaker 6: We can we say what happened? Usually give them a skin through to get weed out any of the bad ones, and you'd forgotten to even look at them.
Speaker 3: So now this is I gotta be honest, very unrofessionally. We're in the Friday We're in the Friday Bus. We've got a big night out tonight roth to go and see Phil Conness. So we were just talking about what times everyone getting there. We're bit and I totally forgot that we still are on air. Ben of mind. Everyone else we're up against has gone home at nine o'clock and we got couned away with the excitement of tonight. It's the powerful Collins. He's like a son. He draws us into his gravitational orbit. All right, then, so boozy songs, don't forget one of these, No only gets Gold goes to see Banana Rama Shot, Wind Me Up Before you Go Go.
Speaker 6: Silver plus.
Speaker 3: Chunderstruck gold pluss, Michael Linjelong world done. Mickey Boy, blame it on the bourbon, said a boogie Silver. We will, whiskey you, we will. It's terrible. Instead of leader of the pack, leader of the six pack, gold King without a crown, Lager Silver plus, Nick and Brunswick. I had shots with the sheriff. That is whip smart gold Sunday, bloody Mary.
Speaker 6: That's good gold.
Speaker 3: Hit me with your tequila shot Silver plus, well done. Us are in Cranborne, Born to be rum simple.
Speaker 6: I like it. Gold smells like cheap spirits, best in class. That's going in Banana Rama so far gods.
Speaker 3: Like cheap spirits is great. Slip me baby one more time. Oh sorry, Sip me baby one more time. Luke and Croydon Silver plus. I'm all out of grog. It's been longgoing thing. Dude wears my isn't it I'm all out of I'll give it a gold sweet chart of moonshine. Oh that's clever, had really good, very very good. Lady in red wine Ladian red silver worn slippery nipple for born slippy Silver, smells like cheap spirits. Off to Bananarama.
Speaker 6: Congratulations you've got the tickets.
Speaker 1: Well down everyone the Christian O'Connell breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one four point three.
Speaker 3: Who fancies some wisdom?
Speaker 6: We could do with some he like that. How can you say no?
Speaker 3: Exactly? Everybody wants some wisdom. There's a lack of it in the world. But there's a wise man on the radio on this breakfast show everyday. He goes by the name his Earth name's Jackpost. And there was a young child in England who listens to the podcast. Anytime the wise Jackpost says anything whise, he stops the podcast and he writes it down, sends it to me early Friday morning in a top ten format. I am merely the conduit, just a lightning conductor, and I have there the top ten, the best this week, the best wisdom from Jacket's the eighteenth edition of this Jackpost. Did he really say that, let's count them down? It's been a bump a week of wisdom at ten this week. That could be an icicle or it could be the sun. I don't remember saying that coming out at nine. Now, do remember this? A hospital has a backup generator for the people who die, but for you, it's just so you can make toasts. This at me with the power cuts. It's just my bayside residents and hospitals.
Speaker 6: The toaster must work at all hours of the day.
Speaker 3: That's pommies. We love toasts at eights. I think they pay them. Well, that's my theory. Don't judge me, but I don't leave a tip. The best I could do is pretend I didn't know what I was doing with the machine. I'll try that on this weekend. So I speak into the possible Helloa. At seven, I won my first Grand Slam with a wedgie. Now I must have been at six. As entertainers and performers, we need to be nice and cold.
Speaker 6: That the air was it.
Speaker 3: At five, I call her Anna because that's her name, my mother in law. At four, the cement mixer is sat right now in front of the boss. I could see him a job.
Speaker 9: Into as well, more than I got Big Pats this year.
Speaker 3: At three. If he gets kicked out and doesn't end up marrying my sister in law, I can then take Mama.
Speaker 6: In context. That makes perfect.
Speaker 3: It does? It does into the final two. Now, in nineteen seventy five, it was the last summary rock Festival does that ring a bell, pats how rude?
Speaker 6: I was three meant for your extensive.
Speaker 3: Knowledge of the oldest lady on radio, Lady in the shoe.
Speaker 6: You seem you have a great knowledge.
Speaker 3: Where he's answer to Benjamin Button, Patsy Button number one, number one this week, that was no shark. It was Huggy swimming around. Thank you for the wisdom, Jack, Thank you, samst.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 3: Al righty, well we're about to get into the weekend. We're all off to Phil Collins tonight. I'm going to end on two final thoughts here. The first one is there's been a giant white elephant in the studio today and it is the fire truck.
Speaker 6: Yes, we should be playing the death match right now.
Speaker 3: Oh, I should be taking the keys of the fire truck right now. But there is going to be no fire truck management. I've learned a lot in the last twenty four hours that there are dreamers in life, and then there are people that run this radio station. They didn't just kill the fire truck. They keeped the dreams. They killed the dreams. Okay, there's going to be no fire truck. We've been told a big blanket, no way. My wife was even so behind me yesterday she said, I still took a the credit card I just got about. We went online and that credit cards is in a bad way. But she said, bye, I'm sure they'll pay it back when it works for you in a couple of months. Timers, I don't think I can financially put us into that situation taking stock of a fire engine. So all Tyler, Today's show is rip the fire engine. However, I'm not you know, a bad dawn radio for us is not a bad day at all. It doesn't matter. Okay, we've been a back Monday morning and the show is about the fire engine. I'm going to end actually today not my words, but this lovely email. Last couple of days, last two days, we've had a lot of lovely emails, people talking about IVF won the winners yesterday. Great winner called Andy had him back on today giving him some more good news. It's been going through a tough time him, his wife with IVF, and I just not share this one last email. It's an email of hope Christian listening to the show this week, I had to stop and take a moment of reflection. My wife and I got married in twenty eleven and started IVF treatment straight away as we found out we couldn't conceive naturally. Unfortunately we were not successful of our number of a number of attempts. It did, like you say, costs a lot of money. In the end, we decided to adopt and two years later we have our beautiful little girls who make all the stress and trauma and heartache worthwhile. So to Andy, the guy you spoke to yesterday and hopped out with the bills, and to anyone else who's going through this, I just like to say, hang tough, and whatever route you go through to complete your family, I promise it will be worth it in the end. Good luck to everyone trying to have the family they deserve. Those are the last words from us today. Enjoy your weekend.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three