Speaker 1: The time for talking is over the match clock showing four hours or twelve minutes. It's eable lots. I'm short for inthe inside mariche, the erotic.
Speaker 2: What's a smash like?
Speaker 3: It's good?
Speaker 2: It's good, good start.
Speaker 1: It's about eight.
Speaker 4: Love says love late like Lada and there's ten as a like crest Emitch. Hi, everyone, welcome to the AO Show. I'm Matroloe jumping in again for John hooven Us. This week Wimbledon is almost upon us and today we preview all the storylines and spotlight the players to watch ahead of the game's grass court Grand Slam. Here's what's coming up. Casey de Lakworth sees Carlos el Karaz as the biggest threat to Novak Djokovic's crown.
Speaker 5: That could potentially help al Karaz having a little bit more time on the ball.
Speaker 4: Todd Woodbridge takes us behind the curtain at Wimbledon, where he is an honorary member.
Speaker 6: Such a big goal of mine to be able to get in to the members seated locker room.
Speaker 4: And King Klaisters discusses Nikkurios's chances a year on from the Aussi's exciting run to the finals. That's all ahead on the AO Show four days out from the main drawer at Wimbledon. Here are the headlines. Elena Rabeikiner hopes to recover from the lingering effects of a virus in the countdown to her Wimbledon title defense. Elsewhere, patri Kviteva and y Elena Ostapenko announced their intentions with grass court titles last week, while eagersh Fiontek is into a first ever quarter final on grass in bad Homburg. Number one seed Carlos Alkarez has notched to milestone, becoming the first player not in the Big four to earn the Wimbledon top seeding in twenty years. Alcoraz last week won the Queen's Club Tournament, his first title on grass and one that saw him take the world number one ranking back off Novak Jokovic. And speaking of Jokovic, hear after at the All England Club this week for his first hit out on the grass, where he's targeting a fifth straight Wimbledon title. I'm joy on the AO Show this week by Australian tennis great Casey de Laqua to talk all things Wimbledon. Thanks for joining us today, case Hi, Matt great to see you again. Great to see you too, And I wanted to pick up on something you said on the podcast when we chatted two weeks ago, and I found it very interesting you said, I don't see anybody stopping Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon, and kind of when you dig into the stats, there's been a particularly great one that's come up in the last week or so that Djokovic has won more matches at Wimbledon than the rest of the men's top twenty combined, which is extraordinary. And so it's probably you know, what you said holds a lot of sway, and I think a lot of people agree with you that he's one of the most overwhelming favorites we've had. So maybe we can look at who his biggest challenges are now that we've got you know, we're into week three of the grass court season, and we've seen most of the big names have at least one or two hitouts on the grass. You know who's impressing you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, look, obviously, firstly, on Novak, it's it is one of those things, isn't it. Where I mean, the statistic you've just you know, reeled off is pretty incredible, and I guess we've had this era of you know, wondering if is it going to be Federer coming up or Nadal or who's going to kind of win. But to have an overwhelming favorite lack in Novak is you know, something that we haven't probably experienced in the men's game. But I do just believe that he's just way ahead the rest of the field in terms of, you know, ability, in terms of Grand Slam tennis, in terms of best of five tennis, Novak is definitely going to be extremely, extremely.
Speaker 3: Tough to beat.
Speaker 5: But obviously we saw some good tennis from Carlos al Krez last week.
Speaker 3: He played, you know, really.
Speaker 5: Well, played a great match against Alex demon or our own Alex. But you know, I think there's definitely, you know, a sits of pass on the.
Speaker 3: Grass will fire up as well.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, there's obviously definitely players that can hold their own against Novak, But in terms of being able to break down Novak's game, you know, over the length of a five set match, I'm just not sure that you know, even in ol koraz As physically in Nepteers and that on a grass court, is going to be able to stop Novak.
Speaker 3: Djokovic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, will be interesting because the way the seedings are, they could only meet in the final, which would be a pretty extraordinary Wimbledon final. Elkoraz sounds like he almost surprised himself by how quickly he improved on grass. This was just his third grasscourt tournament ever at Queens and he won it, which I'm not sure if that's a record, but that's pretty quick progress. Even if he might not be completely ready at this stage just yet, he's still being raw on the surface.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think Wally and I spoke a little bit about when you have obviously he had a great clay court season, and I think when you've had great momentum even from the clay sometimes transitioning to grass. Yes, there's probably some physical things around getting lower and staying lower and that, but in terms of, you know, that confidence and that momentum that he's taken into the grass, I think is really well. The interesting thing for me is the grass at Wimbledon. I'm not entirely sure how Queens was playing, but I know that the grass at wimbled in the very first week plays very different to the grass the second week. So I think, you know, the first week is always pretty tough to find your feet. It can be slow. I think people just think that, you know, grass, the ball is going to hit and fly through, but it can actually be quite slow. So I feel like that could potentially help al Koraz having a little bit more time on the ball and then as the grass kind of you know, gets played on a fair bit, quickens up a little bit. So yeah, I think there's going to be a few factors in play over you know, the Wimbledon time. But obviously, you know Carlos al Koraz, you know, he's won two level titles. He's obviously you know, played a great final against Alex like I said, and so I think his confidence on grass is still going to be quite high. But that would be a pretty epic final, wouldn't it if we were able to see al Carez and Novak.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, because remember how much hype there was around the semi final rolling Garras, So this would be even bigger again, a Grand Slave final. I'd love to see it. So we'll see, We'll see what happens in the next two weeks. I guess if we turn our attention to the women's side, Elena Robaikener as the defending champion, but she's had an interrupted lead up because it seems that she's suffering the lingering effects of this virus that knocked her out of Roland Garros. So she us a lot of people's favorites and she plays great on grass, but we haven't really seen a lot of her recently. So what do you think of her chances?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's an interesting one in terms of like just the grasscourt season is so short. But what we find, or I find with players at Wimbledon is sometimes you see players like a Tadiana Maria last year her semi final run. Sometimes you just need a couple of good matches on the grass. And I think for Rebeccina, she's just going to have to get some really good tennis in the early rounds of Wimbledon, and then I still feel like she's going to be confident because when you win a Grand Slam title and you go back to that place that you've had such good results and such good energy and feeling, there's no doubt in my mind that that's going to help someone like Rebeccaa obviously if she's in good health. So I think we can't underestimate the fact that she's the defending champion.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know, maybe there might be a.
Speaker 5: Little bit more of an expectation there in terms of what she achieved last year. But in the same breath, we've seen her persona, haven't we. We've seen how she carries herself from the court. She's very astue in regards to, you know, keeping control of her emotions and stuff. So I think she's going to.
Speaker 1: Very calm and collected, very.
Speaker 3: Calm and collected.
Speaker 5: So I think the first few rounds will be interesting because she's obviously one of those players when she gets her serve. Going her serve last year and particularly in the finals was unstoppable. So I think there's going to be a few factors in play. But I think she's still certainly one to keep an eye on, providing that she's in good health, and I think that first week again will be really interesting for someone that maybe hasn't had as much grass court tennis as potentially they would have liked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what, we hope she is healthy because when she's firing, she's yet she's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: There seem to be a lot more content here at Wimbledon this time than there were.
Speaker 4: In Paris a few weeks ago, it was all about like the big three on the women's side, Fiontech, Sabolenka, Rabaike and they'd won all the big lead ups and that's kind of how it went. Fion Tech one, Sabolenka made the semis At Wimbledon. There feels like there's a lot more contenders. Who do you like among this, Like I guess this bigger bunch of potential favorites.
Speaker 5: Well, I think you know someone that won a title and who is won wimbleden before is a Petra Kaviteva. Yeah, you know, it's it's really hard because there's always a feel with Petra, you know, a match or two throughout a Grand Slam that maybe she just doesn't put in her best performance. But I think when she can pull it together lefty on the grass. Obviously one in Berlin, you know, I think that was potentially her six grass court title. So in terms of grass court players, a Petra Kaviteva can get on it. Yeah, I think she can get on a good run. And I think she certainly won that. You wouldn't really want to, you know, face it wimbled and at any time in the draw. So I think keeping eight at her, I think like a Coco Goff. You know, we know that she's got some technical difficulties, I think, if you can get that ball hard and fast into her forehand, but there's no doubt, I think a Coco and let's not forget and on Jibur, I mean Wimbledon for her last year was you know, an epic run. She got through to the final, and it's definitely a title that she is obviously after. And then I think the other one is mukovad the one that obviously made the Paris, the.
Speaker 3: Roland Garris final.
Speaker 5: I feel like, you know, her game transitioning onto a grass court, you know, is really good. I think again, for someone like a Mukova, it's always been about her body and injury management. But she seems like she's in good health, so confidence as well. So I think there's a few, you know, different names on the women's side that certainly composed some challenges for Like you said, probably those big three that we've spoken a lot about throughout this year.
Speaker 1: Mukova is an interesting one.
Speaker 4: I don't think we've seen her play a lead up on grass, and you mentioned her body, maybe she maybe that's a bit of a protective thing. She's played a lot of tennis lately and resting that injury body. Hopefully she's healthy too. This is also traditionally a fantastic time on tour for the Aussies. They've got a great tradition of playing well on grass. You know, love this time of year in London, and it's been the same again in twenty twenty three. Lots of great results from the Aussies at two level events and on the challenger circuit too. So which of them do you think might fare best at Wimbledon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been great, hasn't it on the singles and doubles court so far for all of the Aussies. They've all really put in some great performances. I think grass is one of those things for the Australians.
Speaker 3: It just feels like home.
Speaker 5: It feels like our backyard we grow up, you know, being exposed to a grass court where a lot of players don't necessarily.
Speaker 3: Have the same situation. So yeah, I think, you know, in terms of.
Speaker 5: The women, really great to see Storm Hunter and Olivia Gadeki into the last round of qualifying. I think that's awesome And let's hope that we can get a few more through qualifying. We had some good first round wins as well. Obviously on the men's side, you know, oh sorry, and just on that disappointing obviously for ailer Tom Lanovitch not to be able to compete at Wimbledon, but such a shame, but I hope we all wish it well and good health for the rest of the season. And obviously I think on the men's side, you know, Alex Deemnor, you know, he's definitely shown himself on the grass courts before making you know, another tour level final for someone like an Alex is awesome, and yeah, I think we've definitely got to keep an eye out for him. But then in the doubles, obviously we've got John Pierce had some great success last week as well, continuing to win titles on tour for consecutive number of years now.
Speaker 3: So lots of Aussies in form and keen to keep an.
Speaker 4: Eye on, yeah, which was the case in twenty twenty two. We had so many Ossis in the finals of various events, winning it all, making the final, and it could be the same again. Before I'll let you go, o Casey one thing we love to do with our guess is to get them to pick the Wimbledon winners. And I'm going to put you on the spot and ask for your men's and women's champion for this fortnight's stage.
Speaker 5: One of the winners in at Roland Garras, which was Novak Djokovic. So I'm going to I'm going to stick pretty pretty hard with Novak on the men's side and go with Novak on the women's side. I'm actually going to stick with my peak for Roland Garris, which was Arena Sablenka.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure why.
Speaker 5: I just feel like she's got the AO under a belt. She's still shown consistency in regard to her mental kind of aptitude with what she's trying to do. I feel like if she can pull it together and serve well, Yeah, I'm going to go with Arena Sabalinka. I think she can do it, So she's my peak for the women.
Speaker 4: She's gone deep before semi finals in twenty twenty one. Yeah, for sure could see Sablenka doing well. Look, Casie, thanks so much for joining us. Always good to chat to you. And how are you going to be enjoying Wimbledon? I know I'm going to be here in cold Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Watching it on the TV from afar. Where will you be watching, Well, I'll.
Speaker 5: Be watching it from the comfort of my own home obviously. I think a lot of Austrains, you know, they grow up with childhood memories of probably getting up in the middle of the night and watching Wimbledon.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm going to be you know.
Speaker 5: TV on watching with great interest, both the Aussies but also the men's and the women's game and kind of seeing how this third Grand Slam of the year unfolds.
Speaker 3: It's always really exciting.
Speaker 5: This such quick turnaround from rolland Garris to Wimbledon, but a really exciting time. So yeah, let's go the Aussies and let's hope they all have a really great Wimbledon.
Speaker 4: Well we can't wait. Thanks again, Case, good to see you and chat soon.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Matt Todd Woodbridge is a.
Speaker 4: Regular contributor to The AO Show, and we especially love his insights at this time of year. Given his connection with Wimbledon. He holds the record for the most men's doubles titles in Wimbledon history with nine. He is also a mixed doubles champion there as well as a single semi finalist. In part one of this interview, Todd chatted to us from London about the tournament which most profoundly shaped his career.
Speaker 1: Well, Todd, when did you?
Speaker 4: When did you get to And I would also love to hear a bit about how good the weather is over there, because that's what I'm hearing from everyone, particularly though were over there at Roland Garros and the weather was amazing and it sounds like it's continued in London. And you told me off that it's hot in summery, So yeah, what's the buzz and the vibe like in London?
Speaker 1: It's a great time of year over there.
Speaker 6: Well, I got into into London Monday afternoon, the Monday of the Wimbledon qualifying starting out at Roehampton and up until today, which is Wednesday.
Speaker 2: This is the first cloudy.
Speaker 6: Day I've almost seen in around about fourteen days in the UK. I've been in the Scottish Highlands for about ten days celebrating big family milestones of birthdays.
Speaker 2: And eightieth, a fiftieth and a twenty first in our family.
Speaker 6: So that's been really wonderful to get that opportunity. But now it's back to the grindstone and back to work and getting in that mindset of tennis and Wimbledon, and for me it is the greatest time of year because as a former player and a young kid, it was my absolute goal to get to Wimbled and to be able to get to see that center court, the Ivy clad on the famous Senate court and have maybe one day that opportunity to play. And it came really early for me at sixteen years of age and my very first when we're not qualified for a mixed doubles at Roehampton. They don't have qualifying anymore, and it gave me the opportunity to play on the main courts at the Championships. I then went on played juniors that year as well in the singles and doubles. So it kind of means everything to me this tournament in the game, and I come here with this youthful feeling of those memories of all of those years ago, and then it gives me. It gives me goosebumps every time I get to go to the club, to the All England Club and walk through those gates. I don't think there's anything else in the world of tennis that has that same feeling ai aura an energy about it. Even when you go potentially which I've done a couple of times midyear, when the tournament isn't on, it still gives that. I don't often get that feeling really when you go to Melbourne Park and it's not in tournament, because it looks completely different. But the All England Club actually still looks the same, and I guess that's what's special about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you paint an amazing picture of it, and for people that have been there they and are lucky enough to experience that it is.
Speaker 1: It is as you describe. It is beautiful.
Speaker 4: It's got that history, it's got that quaintness, it's got the Ivy, it's an incredible place.
Speaker 1: You talked about aspiring to.
Speaker 4: Go to Wimbledon when you were younger, and that seems a common thing among Australians in particular this tournament, even though it's not the Australian Open, it still holds a very special place in the hearts of Australia, like particularly with our tennis culture here.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 6: I think it It goes a long way back, and it goes back to if you think about Australians they've always loved to travel and the very first winners going over there with Sir Norman Brooks, so this shay and Open Trophy is named after on the men's side, and he won the tournament and it gave this vision of getting overseas and travel and playing tennis and something that our sport gives Australians.
Speaker 2: The opportunity to do.
Speaker 6: And when he started to win, and you go further on, you had John Bromige and Adrian Chris doing so well, and then you got into that golden era of Frank Sedgman, Lou Hoad and Ken rose Well making finals, John Newcombe, Rod Lavor, Neil Fraser. We had so many champions and I would grow I grew up with getting up in the middle of the night. I'd go to bed at seven o'clock, sleep for two and a half three hours.
Speaker 2: Then my dad would wake.
Speaker 6: Me up to watch Wimbled and Live and it was the only thing and only time you get to watch it was that you had to get up to watch it. And I just had those memories of getting up in the middle of the night, sitting there with it a kerosene heater on in the middle of winter, watching the tennis and it gives you motivation, and you know, it is the oldest tournament in the world.
Speaker 2: It is where the game started and so.
Speaker 6: It has all of that history to it, and that's one of the great things of Wimbled and that moving into this modern era, the club and the management of the tournament have managed to maintain and I'll call it the facade of Wimbledon, because it's kept the look.
Speaker 2: And the feel.
Speaker 6: You know, a lot of times there they are under pressure to change from grass because there wasn't enough grass of course.
Speaker 2: Tournaments, and they've kept the all white.
Speaker 6: They've kept traditions that have made it different from all of the other tournaments. And I think that's a really important thing moving forward, that they don't succumb to becoming too much aligned to everything else within the sport, and that they hold themselves differently. And that's why it's so special to go there. The way that you treated in the locker room, all of those little nuances.
Speaker 2: That are different.
Speaker 6: You know, when I first got to go, there was a three tiered locker system.
Speaker 2: There's the two tiered top locker system.
Speaker 6: Now there's the champions and seeded players locker room, which then get to use the members areas of the locker rooms and then there is a much nicer, let me tell you locker area than when I was first got.
Speaker 2: To Wimbled and for the rest of the field.
Speaker 6: But it was one of those things such a big goal of mine to be able to get into the members seeded locker room because that's where all the great Australians were and that's where at the beginning.
Speaker 2: I still went to the tournament.
Speaker 6: John Newcomb, Ken Rosewell, Fred Stolly, they all had their same locker number in the same place and there was an Australian corner. So it was a goal to get into that Australian corner. And of course eventually Mark Woodford and I got to be in that corner and we had our number. You know, my locker number is number one, two three. That's what still got. There's been a refirm and it slightly changed since then. But those are the little things that make wanting to go to a tournament like that so incredibly special. And then you think about the grass courts and the style and Australians were brought up and I specifically remember as a junior player at this Strain Institute of sport in my mind going what type of game do I need to develop to be able to do well at Wimbledon, And of course that meant we needed to be aggressive players, We needed to be able to serve and volley, we needed to be.
Speaker 2: In a mental way of like we came forward.
Speaker 6: And so a lot of times when we think about I go back and think about why strands were not as good on clay. It's because of our thinking of Wimbledon was the place that we had to go. And of course that has changed the development of players and strokes and sports science and all of that has made it easy, I think, to play on all surfaces than it was when I was developing as a very young player, because I didn't want to be.
Speaker 2: A clay courter.
Speaker 6: It was nice to go to Paris, but it was more important that I went on grass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fantastic stick. Thanks for sharing all of that. That's so interesting.
Speaker 4: I wanted to ask you finally, what will you be doing at the Championships this year? Kind of what hats are you wearing and what kinds of things will we be up to.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll be on the ground if you like that.
Speaker 6: On the ground word for Channel nine, and each day we'll do a pre show where we'll talk about some of the results of the day before or what's coming up in the big matches of the day, and then we head into coverage in Australia on Channel nine. But I'll also be over here working in commentary for the BBC, so I'll be on two coverages if you like, because the Channel nine coverage we take some of that feed, so the matches I will be on nine's coverage and also at the same time on air in the UK, which is unique.
Speaker 2: That was last year was the first time that I was able to.
Speaker 6: Do that and so for me it was quite exciting because I was able to get exposure to a new market of people that hadn't heard my commentary before and it was.
Speaker 2: Actually a unique opportunity.
Speaker 6: And last year got to call the final for the BBC and for Channel nine because Nick did so well, so, you know, thankfully because of him, I got that chance. You know, I need him to fire up and do well again this year so that we can maybe do that again.
Speaker 2: But so that keeps me busy.
Speaker 6: So I get to do a couple of matches a day, and we'll do the news grabs and all those types of things at the end of the day for all of the media coverage back home.
Speaker 4: Well, that all sounds amazing, Todd. Thank you so much for chatting to us about it. You've actually made me incredibly jealous that I'm not there this year.
Speaker 2: It's one of those tournaments.
Speaker 6: Where it's like that, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's hard to when you've been there in experience. It's hard to sit back and just.
Speaker 6: Watch it because it floods too many memories in too many ways, no matter what aspect of the tournament.
Speaker 2: That you work in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: Well when you said you were getting up in the middle of the night to watch it in Australia with a space heater on, I think that will be my experience under the don in very chilly, rainy Melbourne. But I'll be watching every ball as much as I can that I can stay awake for as well. And yeah, looking forward to hearing your commentary and all of your insights from on the ground in London.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Mine.
Speaker 4: A former world number one and four time Major champion, Kim Cloisters remains one of the most popular figures in tennis. Since retiring, she continues to follow the sport closely in her role as Honorary President of the International Tennis Hall of Fame Clasters. Was at Roland Garross recently when she caught up with Duncan mackenzie mccague to preview the next Grand Slam tournament that obviously was Wimbledon, a tournament which holds a special place in Australian hearts. Ozzie Kim, as she's affectionately known, discussed one particular Australian who's always excelled there.
Speaker 7: We are just over three weeks away from the next Grand Slam on the calendar, Wimbledon, and to preview all the action, I'm joined once again by the four time Grand Slam champion, Kim Cleister's Kim. Last year's finalists Nick Curios hasn't played much tennis this year, But is Nick a genuine contender on the grass? The fact he hasn't played much at all?
Speaker 8: Is he he's a contender in any on any surface?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 8: Yes, for sure. I've I enjoy watching him play. I've seen his commitment is different. I feel, yeah, and I love that he's I don't know, I think he knows that he can do all this and he can beat everybody out there, and it's just a matter of you know, staying focused throughout the whole tournament seven matches, and and he was. You know, he does it in his way and I actually enjoyed watching that a lot. So we'll see what he can do. But he can, definitely, he can win any tournament that he's where he steps foot on the court.
Speaker 7: But the focus to win seven matches over best of five.
Speaker 8: That's the question, right. I believe he I believe he can. I mean, if you can get to the finals, then you can. You should be able to do it. And and especially when you get so close and it's experienced that will get you through it. You know, I lost my first four Grand Slam finals before I won my first one, and I always had to answer questions about how are you good enough to win a Slam? Are you worthy of being number one and never winning a Grand Slam? And so I'm sure he has a lot of those questions, but he does, and I think he knows he does, and and so it's it's it's going to be exciting to see him get back to, you know, a place where he got so close to uh to you know, to winning. And and once you feel that kind of when you get so close, you you want to take that extra step and you want to get there. And so it'll be very interesting to see how he's doing, how he's you know, if he's physically ready and and and that will be, yeah, an important moment to watch when he steps out on the court.
Speaker 7: There and can we get an early prediction for the men's and women's thoughtles.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, that's tough.
Speaker 8: Let me think, you don't know if I on grass is always very tough to beat, trying to think. I think, uh, yeah, I enjoy I. I I can't wait to watch Nick play and see what kind of you know what, like, what kind of mood he's in, if he's if he's ready physically, if his knee is good, and then that will be anybody can can do. Well.
Speaker 4: Then that's all for this week's episode of The AO Show. Join us again next week for the latest tennis news, discussion and interviews as we dive into the highlights from the early round action at Wimbledon. If you'd like to get in touch, you can contact us via ozopen dot com, slash listen, or email Theaoshow at tennis dot com dot au and make sure you subscribe so you don't miss an episode, and please consider leaving a rating or review so more fans can discover the AO show.
Speaker 1: See you next week.