Speaker 1: I heeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more gold when I four point three podcasts playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 3: Got anything good?
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: All right, So we begin this chap.
Speaker 2: When you're doing these interviews, you're in a waiting room for them to finish doing the most previous interview. So we were waiting about half an hour forty minutes. It was all running late. Then when Robbie was there, there was a lot of technical problems, so trying to keep my call, I suddenly realized I hadn't done that morning my shoulder exercises. So I'm in the studio, I'm on camera, I'm filling time, waiting for Robbie to be available, and I'm using the time to do these shoulder exercises. And I suddenly realized that actually he's been watching me for about thirty seconds. And why am I saying all this? Because it begins in a strange way.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Oh sorry, I didn't know Robbie. This is Christian.
Speaker 3: Hi Christian. I used to speak to man.
Speaker 1: Sorry, can I just explain what I was doing? Then?
Speaker 2: I was doing some shoulder stretching because I've hurt my shoulder and I'm in my fifties, so I was supposed to be doing these exercises and I was just doing them.
Speaker 1: Then. I just want to explain why I was doing that.
Speaker 4: Oh there's always something going on for the middle aged man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, what are your ailments?
Speaker 2: I was on holiday with my family last year and we walked past one of those outdoor gyms and my two daughters go, what are those? And it was like parallel bars, you know the people used to do dips on And I said, oh, I used to do a better do like twenty or thirty of those, and they.
Speaker 4: Went, when's the ninety degree angle and completely ripped it off.
Speaker 2: Yeah that is a but no Robbie on the second one. And my daughters are nineteen and twenty one. They were laughing. So I was my wife and I heard my eldest daughter go to a sister. Oh god, Dad tried to show us what he had and it was nothing.
Speaker 3: Less than nothing.
Speaker 4: I think it's been described to me as we used to be like elasticated, silly putty, and now we are frozen silly cutting that just snaps.
Speaker 2: Let's what war wings what's it for you right now? You know you're you're in the middle of the European tours, so there must be what knees?
Speaker 1: Is it knees? Shoulders?
Speaker 4: No, I've got arthritis in my facet joints at the base of my spine, and I've got two discs that are actually popping out, one in the neck and one in the lumber. What I did my groin in by just sitting down? I did my groining by sitting down.
Speaker 2: Well, what did you land on your nuts or on your land, on your testicles or what do you mean you sat down that?
Speaker 4: I did that for the first time this year. Sagon on a testicle?
Speaker 2: May because again, as we get older, they get they lower by about what three inches every year. May.
Speaker 4: A couple of years ago, I put my back out by sneak. Actually the worst one was I put my back out by turning around. Turning around, you know, like you're supposed to do as a human.
Speaker 1: Now you're a dad, how do you feel like?
Speaker 2: You know, we're a similar age, So how do you feel about I think we were very lucky growing up in the eighties and nineties. How do you feel now as a dad about the age that our kids are growing up into. I think we had it far better. I think there was far more is an all innocent time I thought it was. We were raised by boardom, which I think is quite a good thing. I think I feel sorry for my kids now. It's quite a tough time to be growing up, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I'm sure that my father would have said the same thing about my generation too, you know, And so it is.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: My kids are having such a fantastic and varied and interesting life, and they have both parents, and both parents love each other, so there is a stable household, which I didn't grow up in.
Speaker 3: So in many ways they don't.
Speaker 4: Have what we had, which is the gift of boredom and outside, but they have so many more gifts in its place. Obviously, the Internet and screens is corrosive and is causing its own problems. But I mean, if I think about how much we helicopter them and how much we take care of them and make sure they don't break or think bad things or feel bad things when we like I was never in the house.
Speaker 3: I was never in the house, and I was.
Speaker 4: Up to all sorts of things with all sorts of people.
Speaker 3: It's and we're still alive.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're right. We survived the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 4: How survived. So yeah, I hear what you're saying. But my kids have got a beautiful life so and long made it continued.
Speaker 1: I love that, Robbie. What is it like when you come here to Australia.
Speaker 4: The great thing about Australia and the worst thing about Australia is it's so far away and I want to sort of and I do in private extol the virtues of Australia to people whenever it's brought up, and how much I love it, but also at the same time how incredible it is might be best kept a secret.
Speaker 1: Good point, you know.
Speaker 4: That's how I feel, you know. But you think about all the people over here and in Britain, and a lot of the time I just think, what you.
Speaker 3: Don't just move to Australia. It's better. It is no Christian? Am I right?
Speaker 1: Yes? I love it? It is. My family do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a fantastic place. They're very they're very sort of more upbeat. They're more positive as well. And when I moved here, I still have that London thing where you don't talk to strange as. You just keep moving, keep yourself to yourself, or it's weird. You're being weird, You're making it weird. And so people ask me how my day was and what my plans were up to, and I thought they were odd at first. It actually changes on a singular level, how much more friendly people are here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just think that in Australia there is a freshing lack of pretense. And I think the most authentic people that I know on the planet, you know, I think that's that's what I there is for me. When I get to Australia, my shoulders drop.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I'm constantly everywhere else scanning and thinking and what is it?
Speaker 3: What do they need? Where do I go?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: What are they going to say to me? And how are they going to say it? And what will that mean? And oh my god. And when I'm in Australia, I just know invariably I'm meeting somebody that doesn't give up.
Speaker 2: But they in Australian Tourist Board, Robbie, they should put on the posters come to Australia.
Speaker 1: They don't give us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, huge biggest marketing campaign ever. Oh, that's what we all want is to be Yes, that's a great idea. I'm going to speak to the Australian Tourist Board the moment we conclude this chat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come to Australia. We don't give.
Speaker 1: Them zero fs hashtag zero fs.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Now when you're here, you're here in novemby it towards the end of the year, and I'd love to do a thing where you come and do the show with me. I don't mean just like, yes, we've said this, but now let's commit to it. We don't know how many more summers we've got, Robbie Peter Williams. We don't know how many winters, more springs, more autumns we've got. Why don't you come and do the show with me? Not just an interview, actually do the show, Do the travel news, do the weather if you want, do sport news if you want.
Speaker 1: Are you still up for that? Come and do that with me in November May.
Speaker 4: I've wanted to do this. I want to be the Robin to your Batman.
Speaker 2: I want to be but I want to be the Batman to your Robin. So listen, let's do this one year over and if you're up for it, you can either come in this studio with me and we can do the show you in Melbourne, Melbourne and Sydney, so you get your pick.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I'm saying to my management here we've been talking about this for years now and a need to go in. So can you make a note of it or something.
Speaker 1: I'll make it a note of it.
Speaker 3: How long's your show?
Speaker 2: Three hours? But listen, you can do all three. You can do an hour.
Speaker 4: I would do too. It would be a ripper mate. It's good for two.
Speaker 1: This is great.
Speaker 2: And what you're going to do six to eight, I'm guessing you're doing seven or nine. I'm on them up for an hour and then bang, you're on.
Speaker 4: Just depend what my jet lag is telling me, you know jet Lag. Accordingly, we will cut our cloth. I'll be in may I know we keep saying this. I'm sorry that I haven't done it yet.
Speaker 1: It's correct, you've been busy.
Speaker 2: Or I'll tell you what because obviously you'll be probably towards the end of the world tour, you'll be naked. We could do it anytime of the day. I could even do it. We could call the late breakfast show and it could be at six o'clock in the evening. I'll build it around your schedule.
Speaker 3: Okay, well there's an offer. Yes, let's look.
Speaker 2: Don't you don't get out of bed till about one in the afternoon.
Speaker 3: I seem to remember, mate, I don't get out of bed.
Speaker 1: Oh well, listen, you do the show from the bed.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, yeah, yeah, it's a late breakfast show live in bed. All of my face tims to lawyers, management friends are all spent with me stark bollocked naked.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And I only found out that this was unusual when I called somebody that I facetimed them and they were also stark, bollocked naked.
Speaker 3: And I was like, mate, mate, put some clothes on. This is weird.
Speaker 4: And then I thought, oh shit, that's how people are experiencing me. They're they're experiencing weird. Robbie Williams with his I've got bizarrely per nipples and I'm not turned on or cold. It's just their erect They're always just direct. Yeah, nothing else is anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, is gone there on that? Yes, we just need to move on to the next one. I'm so sorry to wrap you out.
Speaker 2: That's okay, because shame because we were just talking about Robie's AREC nipples. That's a real shame to get that kind that kind of champagne radio cut off. Hey listen, Robbie. I'll see you in November in a bed in a listener's house.
Speaker 3: Peace be with you, brother, Let's make it happen.
Speaker 2: All right, take care, lovely chat to you again, ye take care of
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell show on podcast