Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to a special edition of Outspoken. You're joined by journalists Amy Sophie and Kate Torbert. And for those of you that are new to the podcast, you actually might not have heard from Kate yet. She's been away and been really busy. Kate, thanks for joining us again. Thanks for having me back. It's great to be back. I've just been really busy at the moment because I am the media manager for the other lad thirty six's and hopefully some of you guys know that they're already in season at the moment, so my life just revolves around basketball at the moment. I watched about five games last weekend, how hideous. It was important to get Kate back as well because we've had a much requested podcast episode and that is about being triplets. So for those who don't know, we are actually identical triplets, which, as our mother always tells us, is a one in a million chant. So yeah, it's pretty lucky we're all here. And if anyone asks, the natural hair color is brown. I don't know if you. If you go check out a photo, Sophie and Amy are both blonde. At the moment, I constantly get asked see which one's the natural color because I'm brunette, and it's like, we just tell them to look at so for my roots and they can work it out. So I thought we probably thought we should start from the beginning because we get asked a lot whether we were planned or whether it was a freak accident. Can I just throw something in there, So because it's funny, you say, start from the beginning, because I found out a really interesting fact about our dad just before we were conceived. So our cousin told us the other day that before we were born, our dad went to I think it was Sizzler or one of those all you can eat places and absolutely smashed I think it was was it thirty six oysters or something ridiculously disgusting like that, And they used to joke that that's why he and mum had triplets. So we do have the oysters from Sizzler to thing. But yeah, we were naturally conceived and our parents actually found out that they were having twins, and it wasn't until about six weeks before we were born that they discovered that we were triplets. Now, there were a lot of discussions about who was actually hiding on the ultrasound. I was the smallest, so Kate was the smallest, but Sophie thinks it's her because she was born last, ripped out last. Well, as a Papa liked to tell us all the time, Apparently I was the heaviest, so kay was the smallest and floated to the top and that's why she was the eldest. I was the runt of the litter. Yeah, so pretty much she was the runt of the litter. Another question we get a lot is how did your parents tell you apart when you were babies, because some people have this theory that maybe we were switched and one of us is really the other name. But Amy, did you want to tell mum's secret for telling you a part? Well, Mum's secret was that I apparently have quite a veiny forehead, so thank god for hair. So yeah, I had sort of a bit like Harry Potter, almost a visible vein in my head. And then Mum and Dad also had these signs that they used to make sure that they were next to us. So about you, so if you had a distinctive feature, Oh, I've got a birthmark on the side of my face. Thank god for makeup as well. And it's like kind of like a little wave. So every time at school, I remember in reception, i'd always get told by the teacher. So if he's the one with the birthmark, and that used to really upset. That is the best thing about being a triplet, though, isn't it that everyone chooses the most offensive things to differentiate between you a bit safe, He's got the birthmark, Amy's got a big vein in her forehead. And then, with a cruel twist of fate, when we were seven years old and we started developing sand kisses of freckles, Everyone's like, oh, the freckles in the same spot. No, I remember, I used to get I remember your Kate, because you've got a big freckle on the end of your nose. I was like, oh, fantastic, thank you. What was good though, because our mum and dad didn't dress us the same growing up, Her mum always hated that, so at school I would have a white bow, Kate had a Maron bowl and Amy had a blue bow, I believe, and Amy was a tomboy growing up, so that was quite distinctive for her as well. But I think it's probably interesting for our listeners to know how our friends would describe us differently, because we have got a few comments that our voices sound quite similar. So this might help our best friend, Owen, can you tell us Amy, how was she described that we're different? Well, our best friend thinks we look different anyway. I think the case is if you meet one of us once then and then you meet the others later, you can distinctively tell us apart. But Owen reckons that Sophie has nice lips, thank you. I don't know if that's going to help you tell her voice apart. Maybe maybe her words sound a little bit nicer from those nice lips, and that I apparently have quite nice eyebrows, thanks some one. And Kate has a lovely walk. It's strange because a lot of people have commented on my walk, so I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing. I've been told that I fling my arms back really like badly is You guys should comment below this episode if you want us to video Kate walking, so you guys can all judge how she walks. But you do have a nice walk. I think it's a little bit of a strut. I don't mean to do it. But the main differences I think people usually say is that Kate is the eldest, so she is considered the boss and kind of the mum. Kate has known to like to organize a cupboard on a weekend. You can be quite fiery and bossy sometimes. Thank god, it's fashionable now. Steph cleare Smith's brought that back in. So in terms of Amy, Amy's of the airy fairy, She'd be phoebe of friends, I'd be Monica and Sophie would be Rachel. I think that's a pretty fair explanation. But Amy's the zany, crazy one that comes up with his random ideas. Sometimes they don't get fulfilled, sometimes they do. She's got a lot of alter egos. Anyone who knows her, she's so funny. She's hilarious. I've got a personality disorder or something. Well, you're a big tomboy growing up as well, so you like to create it, even though you don't really work out all the time. You like to think that you're the sporty one. I have the sporty one. That's the funniest thing. So Sophie and I have been doing kick workouts for about a year now and Amy will still be like, oh yeah, yeah, I know how to do it. I'm fitter than you. And it's like you don't even do any exercise. You don't. Is that like when your boyfriend came over and you decided to do a push up in front of him, and he tony, he was the worst push up he'd ever seen, and I did a push up and he said that I did it. Okay, Well it doesn't mean you're fitted though. All right, let's have a challenge. But gladly I will have a challenge. I was fitter than you, alright, I saw you huffing and puffing through that last workout. How am I different? Quite? Well, I'm back, I'll explainer. So Sophie is a high maintenance triplet, so if it was an order, it would go Sophie, me, and then Amy. So I tend to think that's kind of Sophie's more extreme in one level. Amy's more extreme, and I think I tend to be in the middle. But I don't have to think I'm organized. Are you serious? Yeah, okay, I'd like to tell a story about Sophie. We used to all live together down this is a brighton and everyone else, well not everyone else, I managed to pack up my room and have everything organized. Amy's was like a bloody bombed hitter. So with Sophie, so poor mom our Mum is a bloody legend. She came down to help Sophie pack up her room, and Sophie had the best room at this stage with an on sweet wait this is a brighton okay anyway, So this was like six years ago, six like four anyway. So we always used to have no spoons at the house and we've always wondered where they were. And during the cleanup, Mum found about ten spoons under Sophie's bed because Sophie would used to go get some Natella on a spoon, lick it off the spoon, and then go and chuck the spoon under a bed. That's how all that doesn't make me, That makes me messy, not disorbers her. Kate, I have to have a rebuttle here because you're trying to throw Sofi under the bus. This is Amy everyone. By the way, So Kate and I lived together, and today is the day that Kate actually moves out of our house, and my boyfriend's meant to be moving in. And this morning I got up and looked in her room and there were seven boxers still in there. And I walked, yeah, seven And I walked into the bathroom and there was there was a bin full of rubbish. There was like soap scum all over the shower screen. It was like a bomb. I sent Sophie the photos. I couldn't believe it. I think we should. This is probably leading on to the next question. The next question is do we fight? And that's probably a fuck. Yes, we fight all the time. We had a fight before this podcast. Most podcasts that we have to edit out because everyone gets so fired up. So Amy has dragged all of my It wasn't seven boxes, there's like three boxes, and I digress. I just drag it out into the hole. And you're pegging this shoot up before you leave. I what can I just interrupt? I think that's something that is quite unique about triplets though, and something I feel like all of our boyfriends have noticed is I'm like twins because there's the two of you, you've kind of got to get along, But with triplets, because you can gang up on one another and you never know whose side you're on. Oh think I'm best buddies with Amy and then I'll come to her and she'll have been talking about me. So it's it's a lot of fun, but you also don't know who's on your side. Sometimes. Well, I feel like I'm the left out one because Amy and Sophie now work together, and conversations will happen when I'm not there and they somehow get turned on me, or it will be the opposite. I'll get phone calls while I'm at work from one and I'm like, oh about and then one's like, oh, Sophie's such a bitch, And then I'll get a text message from Sophie Amy, such a cow's I think this leads on quite well too, one of our kind of hilarious moments as triplets. And anyone who knows us knows that we are absolutely obsessed with Penang. So we've been there probably seven eight times. I've been there ten times. Kate's been there a few more times than us. And this leads into our poor best friend Olwen, who went on a trip with us, and she had to be the mediator in so many fights. But it was len muffin throwing incidents. Oh, I wasn't actually gonna go into that. I'm gonna say, I'm surprised we still have her as a friend. I feel so sorry for her because we will go on a lot of holidays together and constantly she has to cop. Anytime the three of us are together with Olwen, she constantly cops, Ah, are you trimplet? Oh? Is that cool having friends that are triplets? But anyway, I was more leading into our trip when we were twenty one. We were so excited to go away for our birthday, and literally we attracted every weirdo on the planet. I think we we tallied that it was was it thirty people that stopped us on the trip and asked for photos and if we were triplets. My favorite bit was we were in this shoe store called Vincy, which had the most amazing shoes. Side notes gone downhill since But anyway, so we're getting some shoes and we already felt a bit like celebrities because they were dirt cheap. So we had like ten boxes each of shoes that we were purchasing. Now this is the shopping center where we all said we felt like Michael Jackson if anyone's seen that Bashier episode, but he just walked around, He's like and they have this and this, and this. That was literally vincey. I love that Amy managed to get into Michael Jackson reference. Just a side note, she's obsessed with him anyway. Anyway, we digress. So we're just trying on some shoes and all of a sudden, these people started coming up and asking for a photo, so were like yeah, and then another one did, and then we just got mobbed. I don't even know how it happened. And it was, honestly, all these people like clicking cameras and we're like, oh my god, what was happening. The other time, we were eating in our favorite little haunt called Long Beach and we were just sitting there and out of the corner of our eye we see these these Malaysians sitting there with this huge camera with a lens and just clicking away. And then we kind of gave them a dirty look and they're like it's for fun. Yeah, they got no. They ended up getting closer and we're like, why are you doing that? And they're like just so fun. Well, I had an even weirder experience because we went back. The last time we went penaying probably like a year ago holiday from hell. But we won't go into that. That's a different story. Anyway. So I'm walking down the street with my cousin Stewie, and this guy's like, oh, you're in a bag and I was like, okay, maybe, and I went over and he's like, hey, hey, I know you, and he pulled out a photo of me from like eight years ago. When he asked for a photo three ps thing. He managed to get it with such ease it was bizarre. I think. Another popular question as well, people see him intrigued by the boyfriend and the boy situation. Obviously, we all have boy friends that we've spoken about on the show. Obviously, yes, obviously, And it's actually the first time in our lives that we've all had boyfriends at the same time. So it's very exciting for our mother to have us all over for dinner, which we're having later tonight. I'm so happy. But anyway, a lot of people ask how do we how do our boyfriends tell us apart? Well, because we look different. Would anyone else like to elaborate on that? Well, I've got quite a funny story that goes with this. So I used to work at the Adelaide Thunderbirds before I worked at the thirty six's and I was looking for an intern, and I one day got this message from a guy called Brandon asking if he could come in for a chat. So he came in and I was like, oh, he's actually quite nice. Like I was expecting some freak to come in because we'd had a few weirdos. Anyway, I'm glad that you don't think my boyfriend is a freak. You just ruined the punchline. Anyway. So we sort of became friends and he was my intern whatnot. And we used to go get lunch together, and I used to go to Jack Green's Plug because I'd love them to sponsor us the best salads in Adelaide. And we used to go there and get lunch and Sophie would join us. And one day Brandon goes to me, oh, your sister's hot, and I was like, okay, it's a bit awkward. Thanks, And then he's like, oh, do you think do you think I should ask her out? So I was sort of like, I don't know. It's a bit weird because he is five years her junior. Come on four and a half. Four and a half's turn, it's his birthday next week, five years he's junior. Five years. He's twenty five, you're thirty. He's turning twenty six. Whatever, he's you're turning thirty one. Anyway, so we were at lunch and I didn't think anything was going to happen to I tried to put in the good word. Sophie wasn't really Kate was all it. Oh, he's like a good investment. He goes to the gym and he's like really kind and funny. So I really didn't think much of this. I thought, poor Brandon, he's going to get a bit upset. So it turns out that Brandon then joined our social netball team and he press Sophie so much on the netball court that somehow they started dating. And they've been dating now for almost three years. And it's bloody awkward for me because everyone thinks that we're dating, like because they see the photos of Sophie and Brandon online. So when I got my new job at the thirty six, is what did I do but bring Brandon across with me to work with me. So we've been working together for over three years and the thirty six as coach, Joey Wright thinks it's the funniest thing ever. He just calls Brandon creepy all the time. Why would you want to hang out with Kate? That's weird? You like Kate and all this. It's every time we get new players, it's the same story. And just do you have to apologize because there is a little crying cat in here cat Gg's she wants to be part of the podcast unfortunately, so apologies if you can hear that. What about Reese and Dale? Can they tell us apart? They can tell us apart? Yeah, well can you elaborate? Well, I don't know, he just Dale can just tell that look different. The funny thing about Dale, which is an absolute scream, is it he she used to date a twin weird. I mean, we won't go into Kate and Reese's dating history, but yeah, there's an interesting story maybe for another type. Well, I think it's quite funny because Reese actually worked with me and Brandon, so it's quite incessial in the office at the moment. There's a lot of people dating tourb's in the office. Another question we get all the time is their competition between the three of you. I think normally we'd all say no that there was no competition, but then I do remember when our year twelve results came out, despite apparently they're not being in competition, the test scores were compared to media. It was quite one by the way. I won everyone. I got ninety four point four to five. Oh and a fun fact that was just Kay. A fun fact about Kay is she thinks she knows everything well funnily enough. I normally do well have an uncanny ability to be right about a lot of things. It is quite interesting because in year twelve Kate did win as she said, and she got ninety four point four five. I got ninety three point one five. And what did you get? Amy? Was it ninety two or ninety one? It was ninety two. I think it was ninety two. Yeah, so we all finished within a percent of each other. But I would like to say Kate at UNI, when we all did our master's degrees together as well, we all did a journalism degree and then a master's degree. I feel like I won because I got a distinction for my master's Please get degrees and what did you? And Amy got a p And then I won when I got the cadet ship at seven, but then also lost the time. We're all winners here Another one that gets thrown our way, which I kind of find funny, is is do you forget who you are? Or do you think you look the same as your sisters? So all the time, sometimes I'll look at Amy and Kate and sometimes I don't. I just see them as looking completely different from me. But then I'll catch the old expression that kind of freaks me out and is the same. But I personally don't think we look the same. We look similar, but I don't reckon we look the same. That's the question, how do you forget who you are? Well? Might just wake up one day, Oh my god, I'm Kate. Yeah. Well, there's the other stupid ones are like are you psychic with each other? Or do you feel each other's pain? That Home and Away episode has a lot to answer for. I think back in the day there were twins on there and they used to feel each other's pain. I remember we all used to say that it would actually be great because if you're having a fight with someone, you could just slap your own face and it would be like slapping their would have made things a lot easier instead of saying you're chasing everyone and kicking Remember, oh, you were known for slapping everyone in the phase. Remember you slapped me so hard when my ears wrung. That was just a reaction. No, I used to spit on people. That wasn't my thing. That's even worse. One time I was just prepose that was Kate. Kate, Do we said that she used to spit on Beeple? Another one? We get, well, it kind of relates more to twins. But is there an evil triplet? I normally say yes, all of them evil. That's my normal response. We're not evil, it's just a joke. I'd say it was you u K. We're gonna put a vote for Kate. Did you work this out in your work time? Someone did ask us on Instagram if we like the same music? Yes, Taylor Swift, we do all like the same music. We all love a bit of MJ. We love Taylor Swift, Hillary Duff, Good Good Charlotte back in the day. Who else like a couple of absolute bangers handsome handsome yep, So you know our music taste is quite quite quite unique. Just a fun fact for you. Taylor Hanson has the same birthday as us. One we also get a bat is did we switch places at school? And if you're listening from Australia. Obviously you know that we in Australia have to wear a uniform that's the same. So that was quite difficult growing up having to you know, you couldn't really be that individual. But there was a time when we did switch at school, but then no one really gave a fuck because we went to a school with awful people. Just touching on that. High school was hell for us, and mostly because we were triplets. We used to get bullied. We used to get things thrown at us, like Apple's thrown at us from building. We got called ABC by a rather annoying person. Yes this said wanker also said it's annoying that you look the same. It's like, well, what do you want us to do, dickhead?
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 1: Actually I remember one incident with that same guy. I remember I was at my locker and I was trying to I was I had a bottom locker, trying to get my bag out, and it was just before science because I've been to pee anyway, and he and some other guy were having a fight and one of them was holding a Farmer's Union nice coffee in his hand and they were like over the top of me fighting, and then all of a sudden, it got poured all over my clothes, like all over me, and they did. They just laughed, and I was like, what the fuck? So that was only high school? Okay, everyone, So we've decided to ring our best friend Owen because she's unaware of this. She doesn't know that we're ringing. But she, as we said, she umpired all of our arguments, and she also, I remember she said that we each have a different term when we argue. So we have to just let's say to Owen, let's hope she answers, Hey, Hey, how are you good? Thanks?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: A very random call? Owen? But you're actually on our on our podcast right now? Welcome.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, am I But.
Speaker 1: We were just doing a podcast about being triplets and we were talking about our holiday to Penang and what a good friend you were having to umpire all of our arguments, and I couldn't remember. I remember you said that we each had a term that we'd use in fights. I think I think mine was all right, but we couldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yours is all right.
Speaker 1: We were struggling on to the other ones.
Speaker 2: Oh what was Sophie? It was it wasn't honestly, but it was something like that, Oh, yeah, to be honest does say that a bit she does. No, I can't remember to be honest contagious.
Speaker 1: What about if we asked what's the most annoying thing when you're out us? Because we were just talking before, how like we're always going on holidays together and we feel bad because you've got to cop all the annoying questions so.
Speaker 2: I can easily answer that. It's when people come up and they know the answer and they go, are you trippers? Clearly? Clearly they are, That's the most annoying thing. I'm just like, at least start with an intelligent question, like you know, assume your triple, don't ask our triple.
Speaker 1: We also pondered why you're still friends with us because you're the best, why you moved to Brisbane to get away from.
Speaker 2: Oh? Actually, I've got another annoying question that people ask you all the time, which is also to make me now too, when they when they go which one is you born thirst and you have to let you're forced to explain, and then when you say that it's Kate, you look, Oh, I didn't think it was going to be ka. I thought it was going to be amy.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, that's like paying Like when they'd be like, oh, I'm serprised you're the youngest. They say this enterprise, you're the youngest because you're the biggest, and you just be like, oh, cheers, that's subbly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I know.
Speaker 1: They love the comments, or they make a joke, oh you're not you're not their sister or something like.
Speaker 2: The Other one that's funny is when people when they really don't think you're a triplet and they go, oh you're and you're another one of these two twins and you're like, where did you get that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. Yeah, we'll have to look in a time to properly speak when it's not being recorded. All right, I'll let you get back. Well, could you ask for a better friend than No. One? We've just called him while she's out at dinner, So thank you, thanks again, No One. Well, that's probably we have time for. If you have any other triplet questions you'd like us to answer in a future podcast, let us know. And we probably should get out of this before another fight erupts. We have family dinner tonight and we need to get there on time before our dad gets introgestion, and next week we're excited to Next week, we're excited to announce that we're going to be having Martha from Married at First Sight in our under the Influenced episode, So we can't wait for that one now. If anyone would please leave us a five star rating, that would be much appreciated, and hopefully no one hates us home to this conversation, hopefully enjoy listening to us argue