Speaker 1: Welcome back guys to TV Reload. As you may know, my name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. So weach episode. I've been finding guests that want to dive just that little bit deeper into the shows they're currently making, so that you can hear all their exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading, all subscribing to this podcast however you've found me. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. On today's podcast, I have House four New South Wales contestants Stephan Gian the most talked about contributors of The Block twenty twenty three. This series of The Block has been making headlines for the conflict between Steph, Christy and Leah. So far we've seen cheating, accusations, tears and one giant bust up at the first Body Corporate meeting. The Block has always divided fans over the show's format, as some people are there for the renovations and others are there for the drama. I think this year has been super juicy because both are actually quite phenomenal to watch. As we know, this season is set in the family friendly Melbourne suburb of Hampton East. The new series features five new houses, designed and built in the nineteen fifties and located on the very well named Charming Street. I will talk to Stephan Jann about this season's conflict and how their first Impression kick started a rift between all the houses. We will find out how Steph and Jiann have taken some of the criticism and what they think of the cheating accusations at the first Body corporate meeting. Jan will share his thoughts on the way in which Steph has struggled with certain contestants, and Steph will open up about the pressure of being an architect. Whilst we will get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes of The Block twenty twenty three, which has its next room reveal on this Sunday night on Channel nine and you can catch up on nine now if you've fallen that little bit behind. Anyway, let's bring Jian and Steph into the podcasting. Guys, I really hope you enjoyed this very fascinating look at the block for twenty twenty three. How are you both? You both well? Yeah, well, well right, how have the viewing parties been going? Have you been having a bit of a ritual? I would love to be a fly on the wall to find out how it's going down at your house.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: We were one of the only contestants at the block that every single time there was a Sunday viewing, we had a different family member or friend there.
Speaker 2: So you can imagine that it's when it's on TV, it's like clockwork. It's like and three couples this night, two couples the other my family, our family's hosts like the Sundays. Yeah, it's on a big it's.
Speaker 4: Full on, it's full on.
Speaker 1: And then do you because this is how I can imagine you're watching it with the rest of Australia. So are you telling everyone to be quiet while it's on TV and then debriefing? Like I can imagine if it was my family, they would have like a little notepad ready to like ask questions at the end. How is that all going?
Speaker 5: Oh you could imagine trying to to facilitate something like that with like an ethnic background, like our parents, But what about that?
Speaker 4: And then we're like shut up, shut up.
Speaker 5: And then when when the commercials are on, TV goes on mute and there's like a forum and we chat, and then as soon as it gets back on, as soon as there's that last advert on nine.
Speaker 4: It's like, all right, we're back on.
Speaker 1: You can tell me our last advert that it's coming back, And that's where you're going to be shure, I would say, knowing. Because I grew up in Doncaster and temple Stone mainly an ethnic area, I understand the need for a talking stick, So maybe you need one of those. Just pass it around.
Speaker 3: Absolutely like, Okay, the forum is open, We're able to answer your questions.
Speaker 6: We sure.
Speaker 1: Are we getting to see a fair example of what's going down? Or are you quite surprised because you're now watching everyone's journey together?
Speaker 5: I'm not so, to be honest, the only thing I was really surprised about was the amount of talk that was going on week one because we were so in our own bubble. Week one, we were having problems with our builder. We're just the build itself was just not going to plan, and we didn't leave the confines of our own house us. But there was just so much outside noise about us that we didn't really know, and we only found out about it Comebody Corporate because we were legitimately surprised about the Body Corporate like there was We were like, oh, maybe it's because ash le I met with White Fox, who we bumped into, and when we were talking to Dan that they wanted to see if they could use White Fox but not mine.
Speaker 4: That's where our heads went. We were just so out of the picture. So that's probably the only thing that was surprising to us.
Speaker 2: The rest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's kind of how it's played out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I must admit I was not there for filming, but I was already hearing whispers about this whole thing, which I thought was hilarious, Like people were already talking about it, that you guys were kind of oblivious to what was going on, And I just think it sounds interesting that we get to watch a show like this back because it's such an intense pressure cooker. You know, you would have no idea what is going on at the other houses. If you were focusing on the job at hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and that's it for us.
Speaker 3: And we were really clear about why we were there, and we definitely thought it's and I know there's quite a bit of controversy out there the moments, like oh, what's sort of this show turned into? But we definitely applied for the show that everyone knows, and that's a renovating show and that's what we went and set out to do.
Speaker 2: And all the noise, which we like to call it, yeah, we just try to block it out.
Speaker 1: Is this the first time that you both had applied? Did you apply the first time and get straight in?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the first time, first time ever applying. It just never made sense for us to apply before, Like we hadn't.
Speaker 3: We never thought about it, yes, like oh yeah, we just renovated a house.
Speaker 2: Shure we can apply for the block. I don't know, like there was no thought process.
Speaker 3: There was no critical thinking of game plan or anything like that.
Speaker 2: By the time we got told that we were on, we were just lifting our jawels from the ground and thinking, oh.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, I said to Dianne, the first time that I saw I mean, I'd seen you once before, but it was the second time I came back to the set, I was talking to you about the hat, and so I'm wearing a hat on your behalf my friend because Steph, I don't know if I told you storialized there, but it wasn't recognizing when he was on camera when he was wearing a hat, I was like, who's that young child there? That that? And then I said to my partner. I was like, come in and have a look at this guy. I was like, is this guy that like super hot? And he's like, yeah, that guy's super hot. And then I told him to come back in while Jeanne wasn't wearing the hat, and he was like, no, not for me. So now on mates, I'm wearing a hat.
Speaker 5: When you told me that, I was like, that is so funny. But at the time you're just not even thinking.
Speaker 4: You're like, what am I wearing? I'll put a beanie on.
Speaker 1: It's all working for your mate, it's all working. So keep were going. You know, Steph, you would feel a lot of pressure. I can imagine being an architect coming on this show. And I remember talking to Jewels. I spoke to Scotty about it, and they were so revved up about the fact that they had a female architect on the show, which is so exciting. Were you worried though, you know, moving forward, that people watching this with judger abilities and that my affect your business, Like what kind of pressure was going on in your mind?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Look, I think initially you're like, oh, okay, what does this mean?
Speaker 3: But first, and I will be honest, First, it's exciting. First, it's like, oh, this is an amazing opportunity. Where are we going to go from this? And I'm really open about what I don't know, and I'm really open about being new as a business owner. But also I can't talk myself too much down, Like obviously I have been in the field for some time and I have a knowledge base. There will always be people that are going to say to you that you're not capable, you're not this, or whatnot.
Speaker 2: You'll see on the show that we're actually harsher critics than what anyone could say about us. So so long as we're happy in prowd, that's probably a good little what do you call it?
Speaker 4: Summary?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could summary.
Speaker 5: I personally, I personally saw Steph take a lot of that I think pressure on especially in the first couple of weeks and actually there was a defining moment and I'm honestly so glad the camera was there to see it when she just said to herself, like I need to be kinder to myself because there was all this pressure, Like we got the plan, Steph had to design what the house was going to look like within a date and that's never real life. So I'm just glad that I think people were able to see what was going on in STEP's head in those last two days when they could have formed opinions on her. But I think that you felt a real big weight off your shoulder as soon as you let that out, and it was just like, let's have fun with it, Let's give it our best shot, and yeah, the rest is history.
Speaker 2: We should people judge me. I'm not an interior designer. I'm an architect, Like, do we know what that is?
Speaker 1: I think there is always confusion, you know. I don't necessarily think that the viewers will always understand the difference of those things. They just seem to just assume a certain energy level and that's where the confusion comes from. But I have to say, Joan, I agree with Steph seeing and recognizing that she was a bit overwhelmed at that point, and then saying, you know what, in my profession, I usually have a lot more time to analyze things. But then on the block, you know, you're being forced into making decisions much quicker than you would in a business sense. You know, I thought it was really important that you were able to recognize that yourself. I mean, I was very self aware to notice that and then maybe put some space in there for yourself.
Speaker 3: I was I'm a big reflector, super analytical, and I'm like, okay, things aren't going okay. And then I thought, you know what, it's because this I can feel that that pressure that you're talking about that you discussed even with with Scott and stuff.
Speaker 2: I felt that, and I go, hold on, what feeling this? Why's I'm putting all this pressure on me? Everyone just sort of chill a.
Speaker 3: Little bit because I need to chill, and I need to also recognize that the block is nothing like practicing architecture in the real world, and that's okay. And if people are going to judge me coming out of this for not being capable of doing their house, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to work with them.
Speaker 1: I with you. You know, it's a very unrealistic expectation. I think anyone coming off television, good or bad, from what you have seen, isn't a very good indicator as to what they can do for you on a job, because there's many different ways that that can transcend through the camera. Not the best job reference, I'd think, you know, no, it's not.
Speaker 2: But to be honest, like, I actually love architecture for me is a lot more personable than just being able to design a stock stand house. You should go to an architect who you actually resonate with from an ethical perspective as well. And I actually like that people actually getting to know me and looking anything is you don't know for me yet because you need to watch the full show.
Speaker 3: But the benefit of being on a show like this is you actually see my journey evolve when you see our design thought process.
Speaker 2: Evolve as well.
Speaker 3: And I think that there will be lots of people that you'll be like, yeah, I align with her, and lots of people that don't. And that's so fine, and I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: I think those steps. You know what, We talked about this the last time I saw you. And it's really strange because once you get to know you You're very different to how we read you or when people read you, and maybe this is wrong, maybe this is just me and it's a coincidence that some of the other girls have felt this way. I read you wrong to start with, and then the more I got to know you, the more I was like, I was in awe of your intelligence, your capability, and your generosity and how open you were and self for a flying like all of these things that we're probably not seeing at this stage of the competition. I'm sure we'll get to enjoy as it goes on.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, And I definitely yeah, I did speak to you about that when I was younger.
Speaker 2: I do feel that people when they first meet me see me as.
Speaker 3: Sort of polarizing and I can't really relate to her and she's really confident and that's and then actually because the girls, we're really good friends with the girls, and we reflect on that and I sort of say, girls, how do you.
Speaker 2: Think, like what am I doing wrong here? Like am I only coming across like what's going on? And it's like, you know what there It's actually comes down to everyone else as well. It's like I think we all should just not judge someone straight away. Give some people time.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, first impressions matter, and I agree with that, and I'll work better at being more approachable. But I do think it's also a give and take and people do have to reflect a little bit more and sort of think, oh, there's more to hers, Let's get to know her. Maybe she's more complex than just a nice person.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I genuinely think this is going to work in your favor because you've got to make people hate you to make them love you, and so if you take them on this journey, which is where you're going with this, I think it's going to work out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it shows that you're multifaceted, right, You're actually able to show your light and shade.
Speaker 2: And definitely there was a massive turning point when.
Speaker 3: People were surprised that when we were told that something was wrong, that we absolutely owned it because that's us.
Speaker 2: We're not going to sit here and pretend, oh my god, one hundred percent we are so sorry, it's never going to happen again, because that's the people we are.
Speaker 5: I think that's what made the first week so hard to look back on, because Steph and I had grown so much throughout the block experience more than we could have ever imagined, and looking at those confused, naive people in week one and not who we are now, And I think that's the beauty of what we've been through. We can literally look at it, pick it apart and be like, oh, like, we're so happy with the growth that the block allowed us to have. And that's the main reason why we went on the experience the growth as people. And yeah, it's been nice watching that.
Speaker 1: I still think that the first week, which was really interesting because you didn't really seem to adopt that theme, which was that house deciding challenge that was there, and the judges had hoped that you would do something different with it. Watching it back, what could you or what may may have you already been thinking about doing to incorporate that Disney theme that then didn't happen, Like was there a continuation of because I thought that room was the best room. I thought it was stunning. However I had to recognize no, I loved that room. I thought it was great, but there was no Disney theme. I was like, wait, the fu the Disney theme? You know what I mean? But I still it's a strange journey. It's a strange thing to understand because I'm like, a Disney deciding challenge is not going to affect the way in which that house gets sold in the end. Do you know what I mean? A room that you built actually does look like something that is more universal and can be changed in all the rest of it. I loved it. So that's why I'm saying that, thank.
Speaker 2: You for acknowledging and seeing that. But also, yes, it was a challenge.
Speaker 4: And we should have done treated it like a challenge.
Speaker 5: We treated it like we want the judges to see what we would put in our home, and that's not the challenge. The challenge is designer room in forty eight hours that's going to be ripped down through the construction. And we're like, we didn't think that way. We weren't have been communicating that and we were just you know, working to the blocks pace and it was like, all right, let's make the room big up, let's do this, and.
Speaker 2: It was just that don't even make sense to me. It's like, what do you mean when to knock it down? We kind of this room down like we're.
Speaker 1: Building it away. People are dying in Africa apparently.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, so of course, it was basically week two where like we didn't like obviously our challenge room from really early on because we reflecting like.
Speaker 3: Oh why didn't we cheat it like a challenge let's rock at that? But yeah, I love that you saw what we were getting at because that was where where we're moving towards.
Speaker 2: We're like, I don't want to be creating a room that's really limiting and with this massive, in built, bulky items that someone couldn't feel that they had their own taste.
Speaker 3: That's just like a a that's a design behavior and a design strategy that I like to adopt.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting. You know, remember a couple of seasons back, the two boys, the brothers, the twin Brothers, they put this giant iron man statue to sort of prove that this is a cinema room, do you know what I mean? And that kind of stuff, to me, never works. It just looks like it cheapens it. It sort of gives it a bit too much of a gimmick. I could sit to see where anyway, I could see where you're coming.
Speaker 3: You get me? I gotcha?
Speaker 2: Girl?
Speaker 1: How does having the full plan this season affect the way that you guys are planning this series because this is a massive twist for the show. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, having the plan and also having the budget helped a lot when planning the way that we were going to roll rooms out, so we knew certain weeks, you know, we were basically doing that whole studio area first, but also getting the plans straight out, We're like, okay, let's cut this up on steps program. Let's see how we can stage out which room should we double down on in the hope to win?
Speaker 4: Because you really have to play it that way because.
Speaker 5: Scotty said really early on, He's like, you will not be able to finish unless you win. So we really had to look at our plan, look at the schedule, and okay, how are we going to get through this? Well, we're going to double down and what made sense for us to get to the end goal, which was a cohesive inviting entertainer's home.
Speaker 4: It really helped us.
Speaker 5: It can be overwhelming though some people might have seen it and be like, oh my god, how do I plan out a quarter of a million dollars strategically while building a house, But yeah, I think we just worked to our strengths really on that, And yeah, I think it worked out well for us.
Speaker 1: I also think you know, what is setting you guys apart from everyone is your theme? Is it? It's Japanzee, right, Japane. You know this is so many You could tell me something three times and I'd still get it wrong. I felt like that's a really cool thing to do because you are sort of structuring something. You are putting something of a schematic. I guess that's there and it is evident, so you know, I'm sure as we see as the show goes on. I just think having a theme like that has been really clever for the two of you.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that that's probably a benefit. Now there's not many, but a benefit of being an opposite of being able to kind of have this consistent design thread and this overall arching design concept that's going to come together when you see it at the end, and then that's when you actually.
Speaker 2: Get the buyer to be like, oh wow, this is a home. It's the difference to the house with rooms and a home.
Speaker 1: It's more of a cohesive way of doing it. You know, That's what I saw. You know, Jean, you seem to have upset Keith a bit when you nearly caused that accident, and you know, even even in the synopsis, it was like, you know, Keith is so upset with jan but was he right to haul you over the coals? And how does it feel when that is happening for you? Is it like being in school and being told off? Like how do you take that on the chin?
Speaker 5: It was definitely fair because it was super dangerous what I actually did, and I don't think I had realized it at the time, nor would I have realized how dangerous it was unless Keith really did come down on me hard. And it wasn't something that I'd seen Keith do before, like obviously watching previous like see that the show you see get a little bit angry, But it's different when it's directed to you and you're like, oh shit, I did something really wrong, and like just they.
Speaker 1: Don't get told off though like that in the real world, do you know what I mean? Like it's it's it's hard when we're adults when someone comes down on us like that, because you know, once you get to a certain point, people are afraid to be that hard, you know what I mean, It's true.
Speaker 2: I think that you handled like a champ and at least the day it had safety.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was, so what are you argure? There was nothing to argue about. At the end of the day.
Speaker 5: I was trying to just put myself like fully into the construction area, just kind of rip the room down as quick as possible because that's what you need it on the block. But it's like, you need to do it smart and safe.
Speaker 4: So it made sense.
Speaker 5: And look, Keith is a legend and he doesn't go out of his way to be like that to people. It's you know, when when when he needs so he does. And yeah, at the end of the day I meaned it. I was like, yeah, that was that was stupid.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a good way to be to be able to take that sort of stuff on the chain. Everyone is talking about this body corporate meeting that has happened, and you know, it was really great television. I should say that it's hard to watch, but it's great television. So I'm here for it. But it seemed to escalate very quickly. How could that have been handled better so that you know, there probably wasn't as much tension in it? Is there looking back at it, Is there a better way that they that maybe even Leah could have brought it up with you. Do you think that having that body corporate meeting was the right way to do it in front of everyone, like, how do you feel about it now?
Speaker 2: The way that we always felt about it actually was.
Speaker 3: And something that you, I guess don't see is that like the girls can leslie, like they all knew about it before, and we obviously found out after we sort of said, that's why we're really really open about Why don't you guys just you had time to speak to everyone else individually, You could have just said it to us straight away and we would have one hundred percent said, you know, oh a god, this is so wrong, you know, Or in that moment when you did see my dad there and you were able to identify something, just call it out and we would have been like it was so innocent, like I was taking a photo of my dad to show my mom like that that he was like on the block, Like it was so innocent that I kind of wish someone was like, Steph, wake up, you're missing one detail. Yes you're paying him and that's great, but you just need to get his paperwork signed. I was like, oh, you know, so of course I just wish it was done like that. I definitely think that they had a lot more tension because maybe it was Brelly.
Speaker 1: For them, maybe it was what they brought to the town. You know, this is what happens in conflicts sometimes, is that people don't know what to do with the energy that they've got. And I think that there was a sense of rejection that they were feeling from you by not having that initial maybe warmth or giving them the time. And you know what's funny about that as well, is that you know, our judgment on how much time we need from other people to build a relationship is also very different. So I think to me, from looking at it from an outsider's perspective, I think that they were feeling rejected by you and then took this thing of your dad working on site as the way to surface that energy and try and come at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's a really great point.
Speaker 3: But also like then people have to then reflect on how that person is feeling, and we definitely felt alienated in the sense that if you even look at the build, like we didn't have a concrete slab or true call wars our studios inside.
Speaker 2: The existing parameters of the house we felt like we couldn't discuss anything with anyone. We didn't want to purposely not talk to people that.
Speaker 3: Week we were drowning, like so like it would maybe be nice for people to have recognized that as well and to see it come and say hey, do you need any Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think the only thing that I could maybe say on it, and this is not like you know, pointing fingers, but to hear how people reacting in their myths about like, oh, you know, I saw him with a drill and that was during the night right and if you obviously everyone's different. But if I had seen that and I thought something like that was going on, I would literally just go up to the business I had, just letting you know, like I've seen him with a drill?
Speaker 4: Is he working?
Speaker 5: And that body corporate could have been completely alleviated if Ash had come to us and said, hey, is your dad doing work?
Speaker 4: Are you paying him? Do you know you can't do that?
Speaker 2: But for some reason they thought, like like you were saying, Ben, I think they thought that that was an act to be sneaky, but like, yeah.
Speaker 4: No, we were literally competing against ourselves that way.
Speaker 1: Aws up, I mean you seem to rub this is the thing. So I just think in some ways and it feels bad stuff because what we've seen and maybe it is what happened, maybe it isn't. But it seemed like you rubbed Leah and Christy the wrong way. And I think that came down to first impressions from them. Is that is that the truth? There is there? Do you think it's just come down to first impressions that went awry?
Speaker 2: But like, even if you look like you.
Speaker 3: Was even on screen, like when she won, like I went and hugged her like I was there, I was trying to.
Speaker 2: Like she asked for no more gaps for the challenge. I gave it to her willing, but she then spoke to camera after and was sort of like, oh, I think she was unhappy.
Speaker 3: I would not ever unhappy. You can have whatever you want if you need some no more gaps, that's fine. So again it's like, I don't know what I needed to do different for someone to have not judged me. I really think that that's two people sort of wanting to create an alliance and that's a result of that. And I don't think I should take take it as think, oh I didn't I wasn't open enough, like I mean, the girls and col Leslie got to know me.
Speaker 1: I think though, what happens though sometimes with girls, and I feel bad about saying girls and not boys, not everyone, but it does happen a lot in girls. Sometimes two girls will form a friendship over talking about another girl, and that can be really an easy way for them to form a friendship is by having a common person to hate against in a way. So I think maybe there's some of that happening in there. And then on top of that, I think that maybe is Leah leading that. Do you think they both got the wrong impression or do you think it's one person pushing that narrative more.
Speaker 2: I still can't even answer that question. I don't know who's leading who.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good tease in the competition. I don't know if we can go any further than that. But Jeanne, I would say, this must be really hard for you. You two have been together for so long and you are such as you know you are. What I loved about meeting the both of you is you get a very good sense of your protection of Steph, and I think that's lovely to watch. How have you felt. Is it strange watching other people have the wrong impression of her?
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, it's definitely very It's more weird to see because you know, like if I had known potentially the way that they were speaking about her, would I have been as open and nice with them, knowing that they're treating Steph a certain way or talking a certain way?
Speaker 5: You know, like we were open books to everyone, and we were always going to be open books on the block because we.
Speaker 4: Didn't see it as a competition.
Speaker 5: I feel like this year was very different in the sense that all five couples had very different styles. You were never competing when it came to style, and that was the beauty of it. And that's why I think people who are super competitive right the end of the day, like where ten strong personalities and in some way, shape or form, we are competitive. But I just think taking that nasty approach to competition never pays off, like.
Speaker 1: It's human nature, though I still think it's human nature. You know, this is exactly how people behave when you're in a competition and when you're living on top of each other. This season's gone back to putting you guys so close there's literally meters between your houses and you were able to watch what other people are doing. Last year, you'd have to walk half a kilometer to go over there and see what Sharon was doing. You know what I mean, Like this is a very human response to being in a competition, and from what I can see, I think that all of the girls are very talented, very competitive, around the same age, and all of you have a bit of an insatiable need to be liked by people. And when you find personality types like that, bang, it's going to be good television. It's explosive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But I mean all the other seasons of the block, everyone's sort of just you know, it was a bit of controversy.
Speaker 2: But it was a bit of a like target one person, I.
Speaker 1: Feel bad because it's your life. But for me, I'm a viewer and I'm watching, I'm like I want more, you know, I'd be like, yeah, go next door. And I mean I've watched this now with a fine tooth comb, so I'm like, oh my god. I feel like they've given Steph and Leah a similar sort of haircut, a similar shoulder cut. Is sort of like already like they've set the cat amongst the pigeons with the competitive hair bob.
Speaker 2: That is funny.
Speaker 1: It's because I have no life and I've been looking at this.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love it.
Speaker 1: Is Leslie and Eliza and Liberty have are they going to They're keeping themselves out of the drama at this moment, and you kind of said that, you know, you were able to talk to them and there wasn't anything. But without giving too much away, are they going to join the drama or are they going to stay in Switzerland?
Speaker 5: The best way to answer this is when when you have five different teams living in each other's pockets, it's hard to avoid the drama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So will the husbands get involved in the drama? Then that's sort of about the girls that they may, but I mean.
Speaker 2: It depends on your husband. It depends on the type of posband that you have.
Speaker 4: I mean, we saw Kyle.
Speaker 5: Kyle got amongst it, and I really respected Kyle for that because I think Kyle put his no but naturally right. It definitely wasn't a drama ploy. But it's just like he put his father hat on and he saw that we were blindsided by it, and he's like, well, if I put myself in their shoes. This may be me, and I don't think we should try and victimize them because of it, you know what I mean? Like I feel like I don't know, no one's really going out of their way to create drama. It just happens. It just happens.
Speaker 1: It's human nature. It's just exactly and it's funny. I was talking to some of the other girls about it as well when I was there that day, and they felt they didn't say the word embarrass They definitely I'm putting words in their mouth, but I could feel that energy of trying to look for some ownership there and feeling a bit guilty, like feeling a little silly about it. And I just kept saying, this is what people do. You know, you're not a good person or a bad person if when you put into a melting pot you don't always behave the best way, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But also, I definitely think that there are examples in this season of how everyone is put in the same situation. It's how you handle yourself. I think we all have to take some responsibility for how we have handled things. And I and we pride ourselves and we are super happy and have yet absolutely nothing. No regrets on how we handled ourselves because we maintained our ethics and the way that we were raised through it. And I think if you get caught up, then that's fine. Don't feel embarrassed. Take accountability.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a fifty to fifty split on people that watch the block, and fifty percent of the people like I'm just here for the houses, and the other people like I'm just here for the drama. Like a it is a sort of two part scenario. So it's worth talking about a part of that as we have just done. But absolutely getting back into the housing a little bit. I know that a lot of people were curious about whether or not you were going to leave those beams in the bathroom. You know, after you've this week, we've seen you keeping the beams bit in a different fashion. If you do get a redo, is that something that you will change.
Speaker 6: Oh, yes, the first bathroom that you saw. I think as soon as we got back, we were already pulling it apart. Yeah, Like you guys know, we were just trying to get to the finish line. There were lots of elements in the room that weren't even finished.
Speaker 3: Or hardly done, so for us, we definitely knew that we will be redoing that bathroom.
Speaker 1: Jan how are you feeling about the judges at this point? What's your relationship with the judges and how's that been. Do you think they're being fair? Is there a judge that you seem to like more than the others? Like, how do you want to pack that?
Speaker 5: To be honest, as contestants, we don't actually meet the judges. I mean we've met them once and that was at the launch party after the show. And I think that's the beauty of being judged by these judges is they do not understand what's happened during the week. They don't know what drama, what relationships are going on in the show. They merely walk in a room on a Sunday and judge it on their own apparel. I think this year having Mary as a judge is actually really nice element because he's looking at the houses not from an interior design perspective, but as a real estate perspective because at the end of the day and looking at the houses, they need to be sold at the end of the show and then the competition. So I think what we did and Seth mentioned it before we were like our own harshest judges. Like we would walk in the room at the end and be like, oh my god, why.
Speaker 2: Did we do that this week?
Speaker 5: But let's run with it anyway. Yeah, and we really resonated with a lot of the judges' comments because they were constructive. We feel like the judges didn't go out or go into our rooms and pick us apart because they were.
Speaker 4: Being like they weren't spiteful.
Speaker 5: They were just judging based on their educated eye and we have to take that into account absolutely.
Speaker 3: And also, like I completely respect anyone in their profession of their field, right, So if someone is giving you feedback in that field, then you take that on and for you can try and understand where they're coming from. If you don't, if you don't fully get it, okay, agree to disagree.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you'll never catch John and I not taking on their feedback or being rude about it because we respect them for their individual builds and their their their lens they're looking at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to answer your question, we will love all the judges. They were great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know with the beams, right, like they they definitely didn't like the finish of the beams in the bathroom being timber, and we said, you know what, we really we didn't love it, but you know, like we believe in the beams and we want to show you a different aspect of the beams.
Speaker 4: So we did a a plaster this week.
Speaker 3: So I believe your concept, and I fully like when we clouded it that in that in the timber, I was like, this isn't the timber that I wanted.
Speaker 2: And I also don't even have time to be able to go and source the great timber.
Speaker 3: So you know what, let's just pretend that, like, sorry, let's just realize that we're on the block and I'm not going to have hours for hours to go and source this amazing timber money.
Speaker 1: I think it's the nature of the show though. The reason why it's placed this way is to put that pressure on you. It's an unrealistic amount of time to build a room. Let's just say that. I mean, it just is, so you underneath that pressure will be forced into making decisions quickly, and any decision that's made very quickly can be, you know, the wrong decision. And that's why this show works so well, because we you know, if you had all the time in the world, and these rooms were perfect every time. We wouldn't have that feeling as an audience where we get to go, I don't like that what they did there? Do you know what I mean? Like it?
Speaker 2: And that actually lends onto your point as do you like how you said before? Are you worried about your image or your job after this? If anyone wants me to design their house in a couple of hours and give me one way to do every room, sure.
Speaker 1: Sure it's unrealistic.
Speaker 2: It's just so realistic.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I think it's the perfect like the block is the perfect formula. Like for a show, there's the time stress, there's the competition stress, there's the money stress. But then there's also ten really different personalities trying to push the limits without compromising their design standards, and in that you're going to have drama because you know, like it did.
Speaker 1: I just say, don't take it too seriously, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Because then it is what it is, and it is your image. It is the words that come out of your mouth. But I always say to people when they do these shows, there's so many variables there. And as much as some people will love someone on television, when you meet people, you can be like, I can tell you this is most nine times out of ten for me, the people that I've loved watching on TV are the people that in real life I'm like, Oh, they're not what I expected. Do you know what I mean? So is television affair representation on how we read people, like how we get to know them. Absolutely not, You're only going to be disappointed.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting, although at this point we are enjoying the growth journey that you see John I go on and then a lot of my friends are like, yea, yeah, that's Steph like the light and shade or that's John.
Speaker 2: So at this point we're really real in the sense that it's very much the way that it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just want to know how the two of you you got together so young and are still together. I want to know, is it luck, chance and circumstances that we're still together? What's your secret? What do you say to people?
Speaker 5: You can go, yeah, I think it like the stars definitely aligning. Like Stephan I always say, right, if we met when we were twenty one, we would have had different we would have been going clear different directions. But because we met so young, we kind of grew together, which was really good.
Speaker 4: And we always prioritize.
Speaker 5: Growing as individuals because we do see a lot of people that get together really young lose their sense of independence and they can't live without the other. And we always say to each other, we don't think that's the healthiest way to go about things. So, you know, we supported each other's studies, travels, job, everys, and we traveled separately as well, so we always tried to maintain friendships and our sense of.
Speaker 4: Independence through that, and then we grew together at the same time. Like yeah, yeah, I think also.
Speaker 2: Like advice, I guess for people that are young and want to stay in their relationships. I never wanted to turn around to me when we.
Speaker 3: Were like older and be like, oh, you didn't let me hang out with the boys, or you didn't let me do that when we finished school, like I traveled with the girl for three years, he traveled with the boys.
Speaker 2: Like we were trying. Yeah, like John says, to be individuals in the relationships.
Speaker 3: So even then when we know and then we encourage each other to also be in our own lanes, like we we say that a lot, because you know, John's got so many strengths, and I've got so many strengths, so you also love that and support that person's strengths, not trying to, you know, become.
Speaker 2: That person or try and do their hobbies or whatever. Just support them and then he'll support me.
Speaker 3: And then we sort of just went on this train together and then we adopted that same mentality of allow that person to grow within the relationship as an individual constantly.
Speaker 1: I think that's the secret. I mean, I mean that's both been my partner and I Whilst our names are the same, which is fucking weird, and whilst people come up to us and ask if we're twins because we look the same, because we're wearing similar clothes, because apart from that, we are very very different in personality. And I think it's important to championing the other person to be the best version of themselves rather than trying to recreate a version of yourself in them, which can happen in relationships. You know, this is not a relationship podcast though, so.
Speaker 2: But we can speak of our relationships age.
Speaker 1: Everyone wants to know. Everyone wants to know. Anyway, just before you go, the last question I'm asking you is what ask everyone who joins the podcast. What is something from behind the scenes, something that we won't see probably on camera, maybe something that's happened in the first two weeks. Is it anything silly, like a funny anecdote, not necessarily like to spoil how the block is made, but like something that's happened that maybe the viewers will be interested to hear.
Speaker 2: I guess something that hasn't really been put a lot of light on is our showering situation?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, I want to know? So by you so clean?
Speaker 2: Well, so I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: So we walked into the challenge room and it was a really large room with a walking wardroom anyway.
Speaker 2: Whatever, we knocked it down and there was a door among the side that was the bathroom, but.
Speaker 3: We had to close it because we had to just we couldn't like have an en suite to a kid's room anyway.
Speaker 2: Whatever, we closed that room day one. We don't have a bathroom or a shower free. Right. Then you see us move to house four and what do we do.
Speaker 4: We demo the wrong bar.
Speaker 2: We demo the wrong bathroom, functioning bathroom in our property.
Speaker 1: I'm not making it easy for myself.
Speaker 2: Then the challenge is to do a bathroom, and then our bathroom has got lots of problems so we're not even able to use it, so then we have no bathroom.
Speaker 3: So it's about it doesn't get into your birth challenge and the next time that we actually have a bathroom challenge a bathroom room, that we're actually doing a bathroom.
Speaker 2: So we basically share the same bathroom with the girls your whole time we're on the book.
Speaker 1: That is not enough bathrooms between four people.
Speaker 2: Oh it's it's not that's your scoop.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it, guys. I just think you're doing so well on the show. I think you're both being very real, and I think that's what audiences love the most. I think Steph, you might watch some of the crying sometimes and go, why am I crying on TV? But everyone cries on Reality Vision, so it's totally fine. Good luck with the rest of the competition. I really do hope you both do well.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your time. Thanks so much.