Speaker 1: Life Uncut acknowledges the traditional custodians of country whose lands were never seated. We pay our respects to their elders past and present.
Speaker 2: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. This episode was recorded on Cameragle Land. Hi guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life Uncut.
Speaker 1: I'm Laura, I'm Brittany, and we have Olympic fever, do we? Well?
Speaker 3: Isn't fever? I don't know.
Speaker 4: We've been talking about the Olympics all morning.
Speaker 3: I don't think I have a fever for the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Maybe I shouldn't say that, because I know that the Olympics are exciting, and I know that it's the games that brings it well together. But I have seen very little except for the handball and the skateboarding, both of which are very obscure. But I, I mean, I was into it.
Speaker 1: Is that just because the skateboarding was playing when we walked into work this morning?
Speaker 3: No, it was last night.
Speaker 2: I came home and the Olympics were on the TV and it was skateboarding, but I didn't know. So there was an Olympic Australian skateboarder.
Speaker 3: Her name is Chloe. She's only fourteen fourteen. Imagine what were you doing at fourteen?
Speaker 4: But I don't think I want to say it actually on here.
Speaker 3: No, it was nothing.
Speaker 1: I was probably watching Nickelodeon, Nikolay Nikolie, Nikola Nickoloa, Nikki Nkalodeon.
Speaker 3: But one fine day when a wolf metapair of baby was born, Car was a little stone. Oh who doesn't do so bad?
Speaker 2: Brug, It's little cat dog, get dog, sorry, cat dog.
Speaker 3: A long time we look at dog.
Speaker 1: I think we know what we've both been doing at fourteen. No, So the Olympic skateboarding is one of those things where it's like it's such a random thing, Like I didn't think I would like to watch skateboarding, but once she start, you're hooked.
Speaker 2: Chloe Australian fourteen years old and last night she was in tears because she didn't set the record or whatever she was trying to do. But amazing, if I could have been half the person that she is at fourteen, I would be more of a person now.
Speaker 3: So there's this.
Speaker 1: This makes me sound random and I don't know how I started following her or why, but for years I've been following a skateboarding girl on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Her name is Sky Brown. I've been following it since she was ten years old.
Speaker 1: She's one of those people that is like a freak of nature at their sport. She is the youngest ever British maybe even Olympian out of any country, but at thirteen at the last Olympics she won medals for skateboarding.
Speaker 3: She's amazing thirteen years old.
Speaker 1: So she's back there now, obviously four years later, but she's incredible, and I like, she's one of those people that pops up on my Instagram all the time and I'm like, can't believe I'm still following this random twelve year old skateboarding girl.
Speaker 3: But I'm not mad about it.
Speaker 1: I'm not mad because I'm jealous at her skill, Like the girl has skills.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I feel like a lot of people are checking in and out of the Olympics this year, and we will talk about this a little bit more, not specifically the skateboarding.
Speaker 3: Sorry for the obscure stuff.
Speaker 2: No, I love it, but there is so much that's happening in the world at the moment. We also want to talk about the situation that has come up across social media online between Jadvans Kamala Harris, Jennifer Aniston, Oprah and also Hillary Clinton. Who would have thought that all those people would be put into the one basket. But first, Britt, how's your weekend?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 1: I had a wonderful weekend. I had the most random thing happened to me. And this is one of those things I think is like, how do you know you're friends with someone, like really really good friends with someone? You know, when people used to say, you know you're good friends with someone if they rock up your house and they go straight to the fridge, Well, you know you're friends with someone where they don't knock on the door and they just open in.
Speaker 2: You know, says you know you're really good friends with someone when you don't have to clean for their arrival.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Like if you can someone always clean for them, If you can have someone come to your house and you haven't had to worry about putting things away, then that's a real friend.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe I'm different because this is like a true testament of friendship.
Speaker 3: But I also cleaned when I heard she was coming.
Speaker 4: So my friend messaged me on Thursday.
Speaker 3: She lives in London.
Speaker 4: Her name's Laurie she messages me out of the blue.
Speaker 1: She goes, you're home tonight and this is like in the afternoon, and I was like, yeah, I'll be.
Speaker 3: Home tonight, just have a couple of meetings.
Speaker 1: I was like, why you want to call and she's like, no, I'm coming, and this is from London.
Speaker 3: I was like, what do you mean coming.
Speaker 2: She's like, I'm an orgasmin right now. Yes, yes, she's like literally as a two thousand and just really wanted to let you know.
Speaker 3: It's great and she's married.
Speaker 4: No, She's like, I'll be there in a few hours.
Speaker 1: I got a last minute flight from London to Sydney, so I'm currently in Perth.
Speaker 3: I was like, do you need somewhere to stay and she's like, oh my god, that'd be great. Thank you.
Speaker 4: I was like, I was like, okay, i'll see you in a couple of hours.
Speaker 3: And I was like fuck. So I actually did clean the house, completely clean the house.
Speaker 2: See when I say clean the house, I think it's a different thing when you have kids. Like if I have people come over, of course, but that's like a stress that if I have to clean the house with them. If they're a real friend, they just accept that the house can be messy and I don't have to fix it for them.
Speaker 1: I remember going back to your house when you used to live at my house and you had just had the kids, and I remember it was like a hazard to get in because there were like toy cars everywhere, and I was like, if I step on the wrong thing, I'm going to break my neck. Like it was like amaze to get in.
Speaker 3: But it was so nice.
Speaker 4: So she's still there now. She came on Thursday.
Speaker 1: But it was one of those those really wholesome weekends or times of my life that I didn't know I needed.
Speaker 4: So we've been friends for twenty years. We used to live together in London. I've never just sit down and I'm in their presence for a long period of time where you just rehash old memory and.
Speaker 3: It just filled my cup so much.
Speaker 1: We're talking about when we used to live together in London. It's semi, don't listen to this bend. Semi made me miss my single days for a hot second, only because of the final and mischief used to get up to. But we used to live together in notting Hill, which sounds fancy than it is.
Speaker 3: Not in Hill sounds super fancy. But we were this.
Speaker 4: Tiny little apartment, but we wanted to live next to the palace.
Speaker 2: You're expats living there, so of course you weren't living in like the smallest apartment.
Speaker 1: We wanted to pretend we were living a better life than we did.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we used to just like go on day.
Speaker 2: I mean when I was in my twenties, I lived in Lismore next to the bowling clubs and same same thing, same.
Speaker 3: We used to go out.
Speaker 4: Laurie and I used to go out, and we only had this two bedroom apartment.
Speaker 1: And when one of us was on a date, we'd have like these codes if we were going to bring the date home, would send a message to each other really quickly, like we're in the taxi. It would be like a code blue or something. And that person's job was quickly to set up the house. And we had this rule where we would turn all the lights off. We had one lamp we turned on, and we would turn on fairy lights outside and we had fairy lights in the house because that's the age we were at.
Speaker 3: And I know, I'm screaming, how old way are okay.
Speaker 2: Britt was telling me this story last night where she was like, I would tell her get the room reddis I'm bringing guy home, and she would go and turn the fairy lights on. And Matt was in the car next to me and he was like, tell me one twenty year old man that wants to fuck to fairy lights.
Speaker 1: I get Matt, lots of people wanted to fuck to fairy lights.
Speaker 3: When I look at the.
Speaker 2: Palace, chicks are like I love a fairy light, and theta like, what is going on here?
Speaker 3: I'll fucked anything.
Speaker 1: The fairy lights were used because have you seen downlighting. It's not flattering anyway. The other part of the setup was the music. So we had like a boombox and we just have a playlist so.
Speaker 4: When you come back, we had a place that would set you just always put on.
Speaker 3: You know it was good. And the reason you have to have a playlist.
Speaker 1: I know there's a lot of people cringing, but when you're a flat mate and a tiny flat you have to have something draw.
Speaker 3: Out the music.
Speaker 1: So the person always put the playlist on. But I'll never if we couldn't stop laughing.
Speaker 4: This one time, there was this guy that I really really crushing on, and Laurie knew that. So we're on the lounge. You're getting freaky. She knows she's not allowed to come out of the room.
Speaker 3: But then the music.
Speaker 1: Would just change, not from playlist, the music went rogue, and the music would go to like the Titanic theme song, like literally the Titanic theme song.
Speaker 2: How does the.
Speaker 3: TOTAO theme song go again? That song? My heart will go on? Oh, she's having a real moment, bring it back. Well, she was having a moment when I was also having a moment. Yeah, you couldn't. You couldn't have sex to my heart will go on, Like, I'm not against it. I don't hate it.
Speaker 5: Especially if you were in that position where your arms are out like a tea And.
Speaker 1: All I could think about was the hands that goes on.
Speaker 4: The window and the sweat that like drags down the window. And I was just like a friend. But in my head I started to laugh because I knew what she was doing.
Speaker 3: I knew she was in the other room controlling the playlist.
Speaker 1: When I was having my big moment, I was trying not to giggle, but I was like, Okay, she's only going to do it to one song and then I'll hit back in so I'll get in so I'm grinding away doing whatever I'm doing, and then the next song is.
Speaker 4: Like can you fit love to?
Speaker 1: And I'm mortified. At this point, she's going rogue and she's just playing every like embarrassing, messed up love song that you can imagine.
Speaker 2: I remember, did guy say anything at this point? Was he like interesting playlist?
Speaker 3: He went soft? He did not.
Speaker 1: Can you feel the last night?
Speaker 3: No? I can no longer feel the night.
Speaker 5: So I don't want to storytop you, but I do have a story that is so similar to this. It was ten years ago I'd started dating a musician. They had two housemates, and there were shit stirs, and there was one night that we came home. They knowed that we'd been on a date. And this is in the early stages too, we didn't know each other that well. They'd known that we'd come home. Things had like heat it up and out of nowhere, so there was no music on.
Speaker 3: Out of nowhere, they started playing his music.
Speaker 1: Really, really, really loudly, so as you're having sex with him his own music, he kind.
Speaker 5: Of stopped it because, like to me, it didn't really register because like it was just a song wait wait, wait, his music, Guy, that you're music.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So there was no music on, and it didn't really register to me because I didn't know his music.
Speaker 3: Would for word.
Speaker 5: But he stopped at one point and just looked at me, and I just thought that they'd started playing music because they.
Speaker 3: Wanted to drown a bit sound.
Speaker 6: And he was like, you're like, I know that I'm here, and I was like, yeah, yeah, why He's like, can you hear me sing?
Speaker 3: So embarrassing? I was so embarrassed. Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, he sucked to his own soundtrack, which.
Speaker 3: You know what, I reckon.
Speaker 4: He probably did that anyway, don't you reckon? He comes back when he brings chicks back to the house.
Speaker 3: I hope not.
Speaker 5: I would really hope not.
Speaker 3: I reckon.
Speaker 1: I would I reckon if I was an artist that had like greatest here, I believe.
Speaker 3: That I would.
Speaker 1: I would say put that on in the background, your own podcast on to bed.
Speaker 3: No, No, I would never do that. But I was just spirts laugh over and over and over. That is a moodkiller.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, look was Actually my weekend was good in some ways and then terrible in other ways. As you guys know, I've spoke and about it quite a bit recently. My stepdad. He's really really unwell. So we spent time at the hospital on Sunday. But on Sunday morning, something very funny happens. So let's talk about the funny things and not the sad things. So Sunday morning, we went to a friend's house who is renovating.
Speaker 3: So we went to the house. It's like in the midst of a renovation.
Speaker 2: And because they're renovating near us, they were like, oh, just go and get the keys, go and have a look, like we want you to see where we're putting things and.
Speaker 3: The layout of the house. And they're really excited about it.
Speaker 2: And we went picked up the keys and we went over and we were walking through the house. And also takes me to the conversation that we had last week on the podcast around cantrady shit in the house if they're working on it, okay, but imagine this. This house is fully gutted, right, Like the toilets are still on because they have no portaloos, so like everything is still functioning, but they've gutted the walls and the interiors and the floors because they're doing like a light cosmetic reno.
Speaker 3: So halfway through.
Speaker 2: We've got there and Matt had just finished a burrito as we've arrived imperative for the story, and a coffee. And Matt's coffee is a triple large latte, so he has like a three shot latte every single day.
Speaker 3: So in we are are We're walking around this house and it looks great.
Speaker 2: We've been there for a while hour and all of a sudden, I goes, I'm just gonna go to the toilet. So off he goes, and he comes out and he is white, like completely white from the top down, Like what happened? And he goes, I just assumed And I was like, you just assumed what? And He's like, I just assumed the water was still on because there's no porterloo here. And I was like, what do you mean? He took his shit in their toilet and it did not flush. There is no water in the I was like, you just shit into a dry toilet.
Speaker 3: And thought it so there wasn't toilet in a bowl, nothing, nothing. He didn't look. He just went and sat down and did it.
Speaker 2: He called our friend, and our friend was like, I'm not dealing with that, and so he had to email the builder and say I'm so sorry because we couldn't find the water to turn the water back off.
Speaker 4: Just put your hand in a bag, like, pick it up?
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 2: He just he covered it and toilet paper, patted it down, shut the lid, and then emailed the builder and was like, I am so deeply sorry that I did a ship in your unflushable toilet downstairs.
Speaker 3: That he should have picked up a lot. Well, the burrito, he just can hume it was paper.
Speaker 4: Oh my, the ship's.
Speaker 3: Still there today. Builders.
Speaker 2: Imagine coming in after a weekend, like you had the weekend off.
Speaker 3: You come into the side Mexican. This's this particular type, been there for two days.
Speaker 1: Laura, you've just reminded me that we had someone writing in about you, and pooh.
Speaker 3: Oh god, what do I do that's been writing about me? And pooh, I'm going to read it now I talk about pool. No, this is so funny. I'm so confused.
Speaker 1: So a listener wade in and said, I just had my forever bestie call me to tell me that she was driving home from working Bondi and stopped at a pedestrian crossing. Suddenly she recognized the person and the dog walking across the road.
Speaker 4: It was none other then Laura and Buster.
Speaker 1: Now Laura had her hands fullen on the phone while Buster was just walking across the crossing.
Speaker 2: With no lead as well. But I'll explain why. In a second, halfway.
Speaker 1: Across the road, Buster stops in the middle of the pedestrian crossing to take a giant shit.
Speaker 4: She said it was the funniest thing she has ever seen.
Speaker 1: I hope Laura will bring this up, because, let me tell you, I nearly wear my pants. Let me tell you, Laura has not. Laura has not brought this up. Laura, we need to know.
Speaker 3: I went back and got it.
Speaker 2: Guys, this literal shit happens to me so often that this wasn't even this didn't even register as a story to tell. So, okay, this happened on Friday last week. I was walking out. I actually had just left the vet. He has a slip disc in his back. He fell down the stairs at our house about three weeks ago, and it's getting progressively worse. Anyway, on Friday, he was not in a good way, and I took him. We took him to the vet and he's now on like muscle relaxes. Anyway, he couldn't be on the lead because every additional pull and stuff is hurting his spine. So I was walking back across the pedestrian crossing and he wasn't on the lead. I was on the phone to Matt being like, Okay, he's got a slip disk and he's got to be on this medication now.
Speaker 3: And then I looked down. He has stopped in the middle of the road.
Speaker 1: The cars are on either side, and he's hunched over.
Speaker 3: Dropping a huge shit in the middle.
Speaker 4: And actually really mortified.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what to do because I was like, I don't want to pull him because he's in pain.
Speaker 3: I ended up having to pull him off.
Speaker 2: The road, and then one car went and then I had to run back and pick it up off the middle of the road.
Speaker 3: Half it was squeished and the other half was still good to go. What is the met in your life at the moment?
Speaker 1: I would die if I was halfway across the crossing and my dog took a dump and I didn't have a bag, and I would die.
Speaker 2: It's also so thank you for sending that in. That is exactly what happened. He took a dump in the middle of pedestro rossing, and this lovely old man who was like also crossing the road at the same time, goes, oh, don't worry, love.
Speaker 3: Bit of an inconvenient timing, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 3: My life is so.
Speaker 2: Short, right, everything is falling part something that I wanted to talk about. And I feel like this, No, I don't feel like it has. It has completely overrun every single media outlet that there is the almost ecstatic excitement, I think, and change and the energy surrounding the fact that Kamala Harris is now in the presidential election and she is running. I think it's very interesting how only a couple of weeks ago we were talking about Donald Trump getting almost assassinated, right, and it feels like that is such a long distant memory. And what has overtaken it is this more current and more recent debate and conversation around Kamala Harris and jd Vance. I'm sure you have heard of this, but Jade Vance, he's the Republican vice president candidate, and he has had some very choice things to say about a bunch of childless cat ladies who are running the country. In an interview in twenty twenty one, Jade Evans had this to say, I.
Speaker 7: Would to take aim at the left, specifically the childless left. The rejection of the American family is perhaps the most pernicious and most evil thing that the Left has done in this country. Consider all of the next gen Kamala Harris mayor Pete Budage, Corey Booker AOC. They're different, they come from different walks of life, different parts of the country. What is the one thing that unites every single one of them? Not a single one of them has any children. A lot of people are unable to have kids for very complicated and important biological reasons, medical reasons that can't have children. It's one thing to recognize that their people don't have children through no fault or choice of their own, but it's something else to build a political movement invested theoretically in the future of this country when not a single one of them actually has any physical commitment to the future of this country.
Speaker 2: At the time twenty one, he was called out for these comments, and then he doubled down on it only a couple of days later and had this to say.
Speaker 7: We're effectively run in this country via the Democrats, via our corporate oligarchs, by a bunch of childless cat ladies who are miserable at their own lives and the choices that they've made, and so they want to make the rest of the country miserable too. And it's just a basic fact. You look at Kamala Harris AOC. The entire future of the Democrats is controlled by people without children.
Speaker 2: Rightly, So people are fucking angry about this. But I do think it begs the question, which maybe a lot of people aren't familiar with, but why has this come back up? So this happened in twenty twenty one, we're obviously now in twenty twenty four, like, why is the media making a big, massive song and dance around this now? And the reason for that is because Hillary Clinton tweeted just the other day, and she was the one who brought this back to the surface.
Speaker 3: Her tweet said.
Speaker 2: What a normal, relatable guy who certainly doesn't hate women having freedoms, and then she posted just a direct quote which said the childless cat ladies who are miserable at their own own lives and have no direct stake in America. This has gone on to have real prolific coverage. So Jennifer Aniston has jumped on the bandwagon and given her two cents about it. Oprah Winfrey has given her two cents about it, and it's created such a media fury. Now, I think that anybody and anyone who's listening to this would probably feel the same that we do around how negligible those comments are and how minimizing they are of women who have made the choice of their own volition not to have children. But I do think it's interesting the timing of which this has come back to the surface, and I do think that it is a very clever marketing tactic that has been taken in order to rewrite the big conversations that are happening in media at the moment.
Speaker 1: Well, fast forward to last Friday when he was interviewed on the Megan Kelly Show.
Speaker 3: This is what he had to say.
Speaker 7: I know the media wants to attack me and wants me to back down on this, Meghan, But the simple point that I made is that having children, becoming a father, becoming a mother, I really do think it changes your perspective in a pretty profound way. This is about criticizing the Democratic Party for becoming anti family, an anti child, and I think it's profoundly weird and dangerous rhetoric because you know, I think most parents would say professional achievements, whether you're a mom or dad, all that stuff eventually fades away. The thing that you're most proud of is having kids, what your kids do, the relationship that you have with your family. That is what I think brings the most meaning to life is family, not all these weird little accomplishments and degrees and everything else.
Speaker 1: I did go and listen to everything that he had to say, and I went back and watched it marine depth, because the highlight reels that were going around the news were just the really, really bad beats about the crazy cat lady and being miserable because you don't have children.
Speaker 3: And making wanting to make the.
Speaker 2: Entire population miserable, yeah, as a byproduct, and.
Speaker 3: Your own misery because you didn't have children.
Speaker 1: But there was a part of me, and I will say, there's a part of me that understands what he was trying to say. There's a part of me that understands that he's saying, Well, if you haven't experienced something and you will never experience it, do you completely, fully, wholly understand that situation.
Speaker 3: I do understand that on a level.
Speaker 1: But he shoots himself in the foot by being like a misogynistic fuck with and making statements about being miserable with no children, and the fact that you can only be proud of your life and feel whole if you've had kids, like that last part where he says as my favorite part where he says, like your weird little achievements like degrees and things like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I like the weird little achievements like potentially being the president of the United States. I think the big issue and the reason why there's such an uproar, And maybe I feel a little bit differently to you about it, Britt, but I listen.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I think we're the same.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: I listened to the entire speech as well, and I understand what he was trying to get across, and that is that, you know, for a lot of people who have families, being a parent is one of the great achievements that you have in life. I don't think anyone is debating that, but I do think it comes into play the same conversation that we had around Butker and his speech at the graduation. It's being told that that is your greatest achievement. And I think that the second part, which I don't agree with. He's saying that if you are someone who doesn't have children, that you only have stake in the game. You only have skin in the game if you know what it's like to be a parent, because then you can relate to people who have children and you can relate to the plight of families. That comment, to me reeks of what Scott Morrison did when he stood up there and said, oh, you know, I spoke to my wife Jenny, and she said.
Speaker 3: Imagine if it was one of our daughters.
Speaker 2: I think it is a requirement of a politician to be able to have empathy who live lives and have an existence that's completely different to them. So what he's saying is that unless you are a parent yourself, you don't have the skills to have empathy for somebody who lives a different life to you. But that means that if you lack that empathy, how on earth are you able to represent the many different minorities that sit across a country.
Speaker 1: And as somebody that doesn't have kids, the fact that if I was in America, he's saying that I shouldn't have as much of a right to vote because I haven't had a child. Child gob smacks me.
Speaker 2: Van said that parents should have more voting power than childless Americans. Let's give votes to all children in this country, but let's give control over those votes to the parents of those children. When you go to the polls in this country, as a parent, you should have more power. You should have more of an ability to speak your voice in our democratic republic than people who don't have children.
Speaker 1: Like, just because you don't have your own biological children does not mean you don't have a stake in what happens in the future. The thing that I find really funny here is that Kamala Harris does have children, but their stepchildren. She has two stepchildren that she has been very heavily involved in their lives to the better part of a decade, and her stepdaughter actually came out.
Speaker 3: Her name's Ella.
Speaker 1: She actually came out and made a statement which I thought was really sweet. Obviously, she doesn't want to get mixed up in the politics, so it was very top line, but she'd just said, how can you be childless when you have QTPI kids.
Speaker 3: Like Cole and I.
Speaker 1: She's really doubling down making a point here that families don't all look the same. Yeah, and I really loved to see it. There are other people in the party, in Kamala's party who were affected directly and named by his statement, by Vansa's statement, and they were in the middle of adopting kids, like there are so many different ways a family can.
Speaker 3: Look, which is what made me upset.
Speaker 1: Also listening to him say that you will not be truly happy until you have achieved a family.
Speaker 3: And that's all you're gonna work towards.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine how many women would have read that and been like, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: I think The thing though, is that it does.
Speaker 2: And I think that's why so many women in Australia are angry and like in my friendship groups, you know, I was at home with my mother in law talking about this is because in some way it does affect us. Like these views are held, whether they're verbalized with such conviction, they are held throughout Australia as well, and it's like it's heralding an idea of family, but only a specific kind of family. It's like if you've got two point two children and you're white, and you're a perfectly married couple who've never been through divorce. You know, even if maybe that's how your family exists, it may not be how your parents' family existed. And I say this coming from a multiple divorced household, but now I have two children and a husband, so on paper, we match what would be considered like, you know, the ideal family in Jade Vance's eye. But when I look at my family as a whole, it is so fragmented. And I think that it's the invalidation of people and how they live and show up in terms of family that is so problematic. The media has so strongly latched onto that one statement, calling childless women cat ladies who are unhappy with the choices that they have made in their life and want to impart that misery onto other people, even though that's the sentence that media has latched onto, because if you do listen to the entire speech, jd. Vance talks about how obviously fertility issues are something that a lot of women don't have an option over, but he's made the assumption in that speech that either you can't have children because there is some medical reason that prevents you from being able to do it, or if you make the alternate decision and you choose not to have children when you're able to that you're selfish, that you're someone who's lacking. And the problem with this whole conversation, and I mean we've spoken about it loads in this podcast, is that that opinion is only reserved to women. No one thinks men are selfish if they don't have children. I mean, George Washington didn't have children, and he wasn't being called a crazy cat man. It's the inference of the misogyny that's loaded into it that if you're a woman and you don't want to have kids, that you must be a bad person who lacks the ability to show empathy for other people.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know where he really went wrong? Unknowingly when he made this comment. He shot himself in the foot because he directed this comment one of the most powerful people in the world without knowing Oprah No Taylor Swift, she's a childless cat lady like that is her jam, That is who she is at her core.
Speaker 3: Also with her weird little achievements that she's created. She's got those.
Speaker 1: Weird little achievements like being the most powerful woman in the world, like that cute little thing that she did.
Speaker 3: So true. I don't think of her yet.
Speaker 1: Mid thirties, no kids knowingly owning the fact that she's a bit of a crazy cat lady, like in a good way. But what has happened now, the flow and effect is the Swifties have come out in force because they know even though Taylor hasn't endorsed anyone publicly this election, last election, she did publicly endorse Joe Biden and Kamala Harris like, so all the Swifties have already started tweeting and gotten on the bandwagon of supporting Harris, which I think is incredible. So now they have hundreds of thousands of extra people that are more determined to vote that might not have voted. On top of that, which is probably a very smart move from Kamala Harris. Was her theme song for her first campaign ad was Beyonce's Freedom, So she now has Beyonce's fan base and she has Taylor Swift's fan base that are coming together. Who knows who these people may have voted for before this happened, but now they are all publicly and mass rooting for Harris, which I love to see. Like, the worst thing you can do is sit on a woman so publicly and somebody like Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: Well, it's so interesting because I would have said up until a couple of weeks ago, and like, you know, we are not people who get on here and talk about politics very often, especially not American politics, like it's fucking outside our wheelhouse. But in saying that, we've spoken about being childless by choice numerous times on this podcast. We did a fucking fantastic episode with Danny Duncan last year. She's a social media influencer, but she has really kind of created an amazing community around herself as a woman who has chosen to not have children. And if you are somebody who is unsure, are still on the fence, I really employ you to go and listen to that episode and we'll put it in the show notes as well.
Speaker 1: Well. We've also spoken to Kaarina Irbie and both the girls from Girls Got to Eat all about being childless by choice, Like we have done many episodes.
Speaker 2: On this Yeah, and I think like there is and it still persists in today's society so deeply, because you know, Danny spoke about it herself, going back to this idea that a woman must be selfish to want to not have children and any of those types of sentiments surrounding this. The only thing that you can extrapolate is that the most important thing that we're ever going to do with our lives is reproduce, and that if you think it's something else, if you think it is your career, or you think it is your achievements, then you've only made that decision because the society pressures have forced you into making it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The other thing that's really stand out from this whole campaign is saying that Kamala Harris is anti family and anti children. Know that the real reason why that is being touted is because they stand for abortion rights, for women to have the freedom of reproductive rights and to make choices over their own body.
Speaker 5: I also think, Laura, on top of that, these conversations aren't happening in silos. He's obviously been called out for something that he said in twenty twenty one, and it's still happening now in twenty twenty four. But the marketing around this whole family versus anti family thing, it's not just happening with these comments. It's happening with, like you said, the reproductive right and a lot of those reproductive freedoms being taken away from women. They're wanting to take away trans rights and gay rights. They have for a very long time. A lot of their policies that they're wanting to create if they come back into power have to do with removing immigrants. They've said that the Democrats have let all these terrorists in, you know, That's what Trump's been talking about very recently. It's also happening alongside the rise of this tradwife content that is this really glorified version of what life used to be.
Speaker 3: Like they've wanted to handmade tale.
Speaker 5: They've just wanted to put this filter. The world has gone mad. The Left have made this really woke, miserable men and baby hating community and we want to go back to.
Speaker 3: The good old days. But the good old days were.
Speaker 5: Only good for straight white men, you know.
Speaker 3: Like we're seeing this real division.
Speaker 5: Of two types of life that you could live and if you vote Left, you fit into the category of being child free.
Speaker 3: Cat Lady and Barbie Cork.
Speaker 5: And I think they're trying to create this division of if you want to be a wholesome family that has this lifestyle of organic food and lots of chill and good education, you have to vote right because the left are against that.
Speaker 2: Well, it goes back to these big conversations around very like traditionalistic values. And I think something that I found really fascinating of what's happened recently, so there's been a rise in the maternal mortality rates in the USA since they've brought in all the restrictions around abortion, which is unsurprising, to be honest, but it's also devastating. I mean, even in Australia, the biggest killer of women back in the day used to be childbirth, but now we have so many more caveats and safety networks around that we give women so many more opportunities of choice around their body. This idea that you could be anti family or anti kid the flip side of that is is.
Speaker 3: Maybe you're just anti women. Maybe you're anti women.
Speaker 2: Having the choice doesn't make you pro family, it makes you against people having the opportunity to choice of their own bodies.
Speaker 3: And that's so fucking deeply problematic.
Speaker 2: And framing someone as crazy or a cat lady, or as though they're miserable with their own lives is just such low hanging fruit, and it's so easy and makes it so simple to dismiss someone their intelligence their ability to run a country by being like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they're a fucking crazy, miserable cat. Lady.
Speaker 2: Jadvans has come out since and said that his comments in twenty twenty one were simply sarcastic and that they've been taken too closely to heart. But he also said this, which I think is fucking hilarious.
Speaker 3: He said, I've got nothing against cats. I've got nothing against dogs. I've got a dog at home. And I love him.
Speaker 1: Because he's trying to say that the point he was trying to make was missing. He's like, we're just focusing on the sarcas and we're missing the point.
Speaker 3: And now I'm gonna say it again.
Speaker 1: I understand in a backwards way what his point is. He's just trying to say, we want to have a bunch of people running a country that I haven't actually put a foot or a finger in that pie. Like I can say, until the cows come home. I understand what it must be like to have kids, Laura, like my family has kids. I've seen you have kids, but I will never understand what it's like to have kids until I have kids. So I understand what he's trying to say, but I think he didn't know how to communicate that. I don't support him in any capacity, So I don't want anyone to take that that I'm trying to support him when I say that. But I do understand by saying, if you haven't lived something, you don't understand it on a level that someone that has lived it understands. And do you think that since you've become a mom, Laura, your perspective and understanding has completely changed the way you view the world, The things that you think about, the things that you worry about. Has that changed drastically from when you were in my position and you didn't have those worries.
Speaker 2: I don't think parenting has changed my outlook, but I think it has made me aware of things that I want to be easier for my children when they're older, Like I don't want my children to experience the type of discrimination or if they chose something that society deems as being left of the normal or left of traditional. I don't want them to experience adversity because of that. I say this because I want their lives to be as easy as humanly possible, and I want them to a lot of joy but has it changed me as a person in some ways but not politically.
Speaker 1: But I want those same things Laura, and I don't have children. I want those same things people that are living it and experience in it right now. I want a fair and equal world for them. I want an easy world for them. And I don't have kids, and I don't have to have kids to have that point of view.
Speaker 2: There are things that motherhood undoubtedly changing you, but not so much that that's the only thing that you then care about. And I think that that's the really important part of this is that going back to this idea that if you don't have kids, you can't possibly understand the plight of parents, I just don't agree.
Speaker 5: What I think is quite ironic is that he operates in a democratic society.
Speaker 3: Where we are all expected to elect someone to represent all of us.
Speaker 5: That's the point of a democracy. But he's making out that unless you've walked the walk, you can't do the talk.
Speaker 3: So he's making out that unless.
Speaker 5: You've actually lived the life that you are creating policies around, you're not able to represent a community.
Speaker 3: And that's completely anti democratic, very unrot and shows like a complete lack of empathy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's time for sucking. Sweet our highlights in our low lights.
Speaker 3: You know, we never finished an episode without it. I'm gonna kick it off.
Speaker 1: My suck was last night, and this is probably my fault. I gave Delilah some of my left over nacho chicken. She always eats what I eat, so I gave her some dinner, went to the shower.
Speaker 3: I came back. It was like a bit spicy for a dog.
Speaker 1: It wasn't spicy though, that's what because I never give her spice, but.
Speaker 4: It was it was marinate.
Speaker 3: Too much stuff going on, and that was where I went wrong. It was marinate on your floor.
Speaker 4: It did, so I went in the rug.
Speaker 1: And I have wooden floorboards, and then like my house's wooden floorboards, I just have one rug.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I came back.
Speaker 2: The rug feels like grass. That's the problem. They always choose the rug over the floorboards.
Speaker 1: It was the biggest vomit I have ever seen.
Speaker 4: It was like a huge, big lump.
Speaker 1: The only saving grays was it was whole, so I could almost just like scoop like.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a wet vomit.
Speaker 4: But it was probably rade weigh one and a half kilos.
Speaker 3: That's disgusting. Yeah, so that was my sack.
Speaker 1: It was the poor little thing, but it was I'm gonna blame myself and think it was I'm going to blame you too.
Speaker 4: My sweet was also Delilah.
Speaker 1: If you guys have been following along, you know, she's had a really rough trot at dog school lately. She got kicked out, then she got put on probation. I started with another dog trainer this week, so we had like a two hour session yesterday. But my sweet was this week she got a report card that was like flying colors. The probation has extended, Like she's not been kicked out immediately because she did really really well. No one else could care less. But this is like a huge impact in my life because it will change my life. If she can't go to a dog school, I'm screwed.
Speaker 3: And I've got a.
Speaker 1: Proper report card, Like she sent me a report card and it had like levels where.
Speaker 2: She was changed And why is she behaving now? Does she know that she's like on her last legs? Literally, I don't think she knows, but I don't know. I gave her a real sit down and I genuinely.
Speaker 1: Talked to her for ages about what was wrong, but I don't think.
Speaker 3: That got through.
Speaker 4: I think and people are going.
Speaker 3: To question this.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you're a dog professional. I think it's also hormonal.
Speaker 4: I think dogs go through I think dogs go through cycles like women, probably where in the month different things are happening.
Speaker 3: So I reckon she just had good days and bad days. We've had an awesome episode for that. It's called PMDD.
Speaker 2: Just send her the link in the show What's your I mean my stuck for the week.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot going on lately that's been a bit hard.
Speaker 2: Like I mentioned earlier, I would leave here this afternoon and go back down to Wollongong because my stepdad is super super super unwell but also busty. He fell down the stairs and he's hurt his back. He will be fine, but he's nine and a bit now. And when we were at the vet, the vet was a slightly older lady and we go to this vet all the time. It's a fantastic vet, but it's the first time I had seen this specific vet and she was like, oh, you know, he's done someone, so to his back. If things get worse, take him to the Sash Hospital and they'll do an X ray or a set scan. And she was like, no, no, no, we don't do precautionary CT scans.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I was like getting a bit upset about it, and I was like, look, it's really he's very important to us. He's a family member, and if there's anything that we can do precautionary, I'd rather just do it, even if it costs extra money. And she said to me, Darling, you know he's not going to live forever, don't you. I yeah, I just like I was like, I'm not ready to come to the realization that also Buster is an old dog, because he is literally my first child. I was like, we're not doing that. That's not a conversation that's being had today.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When you think about pets, they are you family, and it is a shitty realization to think that they're not going to be here forever.
Speaker 2: So that happened on the week past, and then my sweet for the week is that on Saturday we had a little birthday celebration for Matt.
Speaker 3: It was his birthday a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't done anything.
Speaker 2: And then my beautiful friend Falcon helped me organize just a thing at our house. But it was it was perfect, like it was just family and a couple of Matt's friends and yeah, and I feel really grateful for it.
Speaker 3: So that was we love Falcon highlight. Yeah, Falcon, You're my highlight anyway, guys, that is it from us. I hope that you love the episode.
Speaker 2: If you have any comments for us, if you want to join on the conversation, you can join us in our Life on Cut discussion group on Facebook. You can follow us at Life Uncut podcast, or you can go on to TikTok and follow us there. The socials have been lit city lately, baby, they have been going off and you.
Speaker 3: Know the drill.
Speaker 2: You can watch it on YouTube too, yeah, everywhere where surround sound and don't forget tell your mum to your datte doug tee friends and share the love because we love love