Speaker 1: Christian Connell Christian o'connald's show podcast.
Speaker 2: Whether you grew up in the eighties, nineties or whatever, I think sometimes you had friends and you go around their house after school and it was very clear in the things that they had, the lifestyle they had, the objects they had, that their parents have more money than your parents growing them in the eighties For me, right, Mum and dad working class people. They worked really hard. Mum was a nurse and dad worked in a car factory. My friends, I didn't know at the time was something called middle class, but whenever I went around their houses, it was like going into a different world. First one was all I had for Syria in the morning, and I thought I was living like a king anyway.
Speaker 3: Was whetbigs me too?
Speaker 4: Every morning weet Bigs I was.
Speaker 2: Had a tiny little sprinkling or sugar. Do you ever do that when Mum and dad won't look him? No?
Speaker 4: I could only have sugar when I was at my men's house.
Speaker 3: Do you know what we should do? A phone in about what would nan and what would you nan? Let you do? It's always Nan.
Speaker 2: My nan ran a very my Irish Nan again out very loose with the rules.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh Christmas.
Speaker 2: And I used to go around to see a Christmas time and that would let me have, even teenage, just a little nip of sherry from her drink's cabinet.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: She would always go with a wink. Don't tell you mom and dad about this.
Speaker 4: Remember sugar cubes would let me eat sugar cubes. They're a pack of chips.
Speaker 3: How do we not have type two diabetes?
Speaker 2: So anyway, yeah, my friends though, they had something called musely and I was like what is this. You were, Oh, don't you have wheat bits? And they were like, oh god, no, we have muse And I was like wow. And the other thing was it's about the phone in the eighties and fighting over the phone because it was like tethered to the land. It was actually called a land line, you know, to speak to peoleback in the eighties, our voices went through a line into dirt and mud and then up a line into their house and into their ears. Still it was called the land line, and you you would have lots of arguments if you had a girlfriend anything. Your sister might be fighting on the phone chat to her mates, like god, mom, tell us my turn, and then your mom wants to speak to one of her sisters. You'll be fighting about that one phone in the house. However, friends of mine had see the cordless phone and I was like, this is amazing.
Speaker 4: You can move it around wherever you want with the phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the phone goes with you. This is unbelievable. So this morning, I want to you would have known this growing up. There were clear signs. What were the clear signs that your friend's parents had more money than yours? What was rich to you? When he went around theirs? There was just something different? What was it, Jack? What was it for you?
Speaker 4: A clear sign that my friend's parents had more money was when I went to the footy with my friends. Their parents would let us buy the food at the football all right, to turn up with stuff, whereas every time my dad took us we had to pack our sandwiches beforehand because the bucket of chips is too expensive.
Speaker 3: Christian o'connells show podcast, All right, let's go to Kylie. Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 2: How did you, Kylie? How did you know that your friends and parents had more money than yours?
Speaker 1: My friend's father had a mobile phone or a phone in the car in his Statesman back in the day.
Speaker 2: Wow, I remember the first Lethal weapon movie. Right, there's a badge who's like rich beyond money. The way they show this opening scene, he's driving on a car phone and I'm thinking, Wow, that guy's a rich old baddy's got a car phone something.
Speaker 4: I only ever saw him movies.
Speaker 3: It was just like, you're never gonna but your friend actually had one name. It was the size of a suitcase.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was messy. It was like a brick.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I think you actually have an aerial right on the roof.
Speaker 1: Yes, any statesman the aerial in the brick phone? Wow?
Speaker 3: And were ever allowed to use it? Make it call?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I just wanted to go in the car just.
Speaker 2: Warm this spaceman technology. Can he call masks? That's a great one, Candie, thank you.
Speaker 3: Very much for share. We have a good day you too. By Tracy Hi.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Christian and team. I had to wear jeans from Venture, which is a store no longer in existence, and everyone at my school got to wear East Coast jeans. They had a padlock on the side and my mother is used to pay twenty dollars for a pair of the diner jeans.
Speaker 2: This is this is amazing. Yeah, the cheaper jeans. Yeah, I as well. Yeah, you had your friends in Hugo Marson. You had something like Hugo Tarsan no no armand it was Georgio Fellini in some market rip off ones. And did anyone e get nice to wear that hurt in the wrong places.
Speaker 1: When they're uncomfortable. And the East Coast jeans were like cut to your body and they were just so cool, and they had the padlock on the side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was all about that padlot. And also your friends knew, didn't they. They would sometimes just pull up your jumper and go.
Speaker 3: He's got chee exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, come on, I used to steal padlocks on other people and put them on your jeans to pretend that.
Speaker 3: Tracy. We'll send your prize. That is a great memory. Thank you very much. We'll give you a hundred dollar a pancake parlavoucher.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my goodness, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Guys comes straight for the eighties. It was some prizes left over from the old Gold Station in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 3: Tracy, thanks you, Cord. Let's go to who we got here?
Speaker 4: Heyth Hi yes more in Christian Hey.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to the show. How did you know your parents had your friend's parents had more money than yours.
Speaker 4: Nineteen seventy six, I went to my neighbor's house and they had a color television.
Speaker 1: Woo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a big deal, wasn't it, going from break color?
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a piece of furniture.
Speaker 1: Juell speakers filled up half the land room and we were all a standard that we'd watch. We were watching the football in tower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet that must have been amazing. And you're right, it was a piece of functure had that sort of fake wood around the surround of it all when it was huge at the back as well as backside.
Speaker 4: Yes, took three people to lift it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: It's just aware about eight hundred kynos heavy a car. And did you have to Someone would have to be told to go and change the channel. You'd have to leave it and almost punch those sort of big old levers to change between the two channels you had back then.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're yes, we're we're manually turning them on and off and actually turning a doll to the year. And we only had two channels.
Speaker 2: And then you had to when you got the TV. You had to actually tune it in and then remember that you remember that tuning in It was just like going through space frequencies to find the TV chat.
Speaker 3: They are, We can contact them. TV's there in our front room for a while.
Speaker 4: I remember us kids, we just didn't have Channel ten because we could never tune it in.
Speaker 3: We just lived without it. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast