Speaker 1: Hi guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life on Cut.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura and I'm Brittany, and.
Speaker 1: We're inching each day one step closer to Christmas.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're going to say to a breakdown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty twenty one has its way with us before the end of the year. Yeah, that's definitely where we're going to be. But this weekend, Brittany, I was going to put up the Christmas tree.
Speaker 2: Let me guess you didn't. I didn't. I didn't see that one coming. Laura, Well, did I realize?
Speaker 1: Okay, there's also no Christmas tree in your house. We're recording in your lound room.
Speaker 3: Where in this jungle that is my loundroom? Would you like me to put a Christmas tree? Actually what I was thinking of do so just so people know my loundroom. It's not human, but there's a lot of greenery. Like you walk in here and it's like you're in a florist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you could just put some tinsel around that there fiddle fig, I reckon, it.
Speaker 3: Is a really healthy fiddle fig. It's actually what I was thinking of doing. I was thinking of wrapping some tinsel down the tree and calling it a day.
Speaker 1: Can I just say how arrogant you are you had to put in there. It's a really healthy fiddlefig purely, but everybody who doesn't have a healthy fiddle fig, fuck you, Brittany. Okay, we felt that in our soul. It is so hard, we know to keep these bad boys alive. I know keeping your children alive is easier than keeping a fiddle fig alive. If you move that fucker out of one corner and put it outside for five minutes, it does.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: If you rotate that fiddle one centimeter, it has an aneurysm, and it's like, I'm done.
Speaker 1: You cannot look at it, touch it, move it. You can't talk to it, you cannot play it. Don't look at it's too loud. You cannot do not show that fiddle any level of attention or the thing will die. It's so true. But anyway, okay, back to the whole Christmas thing. So like small sidetrack the whole weekend to the kids. I mean, this is where you really set your children up for disappointment. The whole weekend. I was like, we're gonna do the Christmas tree. We're gonna do the Christmas tree. If you have your nap, we can do the Christmas tree. If you eat your greens, we can do the Christmas tree. If you stop pooping in the bath, we can do the Christmas tree. And then I got to Sunday night and I was like, I can't be fucking bothered to do the Christmas tree. And I realized I'm that person. I love Christmas, I love it, but I need somebody else to do Christmas for me. There's always one person in the family who puts the tree up, who gets everyone excited, who plays Mariah Kerrey, And it's not me, and it's not Matt.
Speaker 3: Do you know the only good thing about this is that I'm going to assume your two year old and seven month old don't quite have the concept yet of what a weekend is, so they don't know that the weekend is only two days. They don't know the weekend's over. So if you just keep saying we'll do it over the weekend, that could go on for the next few weeks. So I should just keep lying to them, let them think a weekend is a month.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 2: I like your thinking failure, but it's like, don't you think it's so true?
Speaker 1: Like every family has that one person who is the Christmas driver. They're the person that gets everything ready, that like get all the family together. They're the ones who always want to have Christmas lunch at their house. They're the jolly person. And then the rest of us just kind of go along with it and get excited that somebody else did it. Okay, So spoiler, it's not me either. I can tell in my family it is I've got there's four kids in my family, obviously my mum and dad four kids.
Speaker 2: It is Sheridan.
Speaker 1: It is my sister. I know she's listening to this now.
Speaker 3: As a prime example, we are all going to Queensland for Christmas at Sherry's house. She has already bought all the food, all the drinks, all the ingredients for everything. She's set the tree up, She's already sent the list to us of what everybody owes and has to contribute.
Speaker 1: She's done the Chris Kringle like, she's done the drawer for the presence. She is so organized.
Speaker 3: I literally just said to her, I was like, I'm going to show up two days in advance. Just tell me if I need to bring something, but don't text it to me until the day before because I will lose that. I will not be organized enough to do it. It is one hundred percent hers. She's got the Christmas Carol, She's got everything.
Speaker 1: If she has already got all your food organized, I really hope it's all preserved.
Speaker 2: I hope it's not prawns.
Speaker 3: Because Sherry, I am tapping out. No, we do always have seafood lunch.
Speaker 1: So she would have organized that as well, But she would have already just like she would have already pre ordered it.
Speaker 2: That's how organized is.
Speaker 1: You got to do the pre order. But I feel sorry for my future kids because they're gonna have a miserable Christmas.
Speaker 3: Like my children, well, they're gonna spend every holiday at Annie Sherry's house.
Speaker 2: I don't plan on looking after them anyway.
Speaker 1: Guys, we have some big things to talk about on today's episode before we jump into let's get to the main thing and then we'll work our way back. On this episode, we're talking about codependency. We've spoken about codependency multiple times before, mostly because I am a reformed codependent addict. I'm going to talk about how much Lauren needs me. Yeah, I mean, and here I am showing up at her house all the time. I say it's work, but really it's because I don't like to be alone. Surprised this is a therapy session. But so many of us display different characteristics of codependence. For a lot of us, we can be codependent in our relationships, but it can show up in so many different ways. It can show up in our relationships with our children, it can show up in a relation to how we get on with people at work. It's such a big and interesting thing to unpack. It's also something that we can kind of ebb in and out of at different times in our life. We might have some codependent characteristics and they may become more inflamed or more noticeable depending on the relationships that we're in. So we're gonna unpack codependency on this episode, but before we do, we always like to talk about a couple other things.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 1: It was a very big week in the world of reality TV. Firstly, just some happy news. Martha and Michael from Mass got engaged. I mean they're already married, right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, like they got married with you.
Speaker 1: But it isn't it nice to see like reality TV actually work out?
Speaker 2: It's actually success story.
Speaker 3: So in Australia, I don't know if anyone actually knows this, but the Australian married at first sight. It is not a legally binding marriage. It's just classified as an experiment. But you don't even have to get a divorce if it doesn't work out. So years later, I think it is they've been together for three years and they just got officially engaged.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I see them around all the time in Bondi.
Speaker 3: They're very in love and it's really nice to see a success story from reality TV.
Speaker 1: I also love, actually, okay, I love Martha and Michael together because I feel like when their show finished and when they first came out into the Big Bad world, they had a target on their back that they weren't going to work out. Media wanted to say that they were a pr stunt. So many people were so negative on their relationship about how it wasn't going to end up in anything. And that was also because Martha was a little bit embroiled in the drama with Jess on her season. There was a lot going on there. But over the years they have proved time and time again that they are not only a real relationship, but they are a thriving real relationship out of reality TV. They're happy and they're getting married, and she got a big whopping ring.
Speaker 2: Oh so beautiful.
Speaker 1: It has so much envy, so big, like so big.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we're.
Speaker 3: Going to see a very beautiful, big Greek wedding and I absolutely can't wait to see it.
Speaker 1: So congratulations to those two.
Speaker 3: There is a part of reality tea though, that the public don't always want the couples to work out. And I remember even Laura, when you and Matt you had your happy ending you were together, you were like, whoo, we're out in the public. There were so many people hating for you. It's not gonna work.
Speaker 2: It's fake.
Speaker 3: He should have chosen someone else, Like there's always this idea for some reason, there are always these people that made me happy for you. But there is a big chunk of people that don't want that happy ending from reality TV. They want to believe from the bottom of their heart that reality TV cannot work.
Speaker 1: And you know what, the really, really nice thing about that whole experience is is that they don't mind telling you because they've seen you on the TV and they think, oh, you're a public figure. I'm going to tell you that I think your relationship isn't going to work out. The amount of messages the matten I received pre me falling pregnant. Actually, do you know what, even once I was pregnant with Marley, messages like, Oh, he's never going to marry her, she's just pregnant, Pista, still a pista, Like this relationship is never going to work out. How about we check in five years time and see if they're still together. People write that shit to you, and so, you know, it's really nice when you can go through this huge experience because reality TV is a very galvanizing experience. You either hit the ground running and you make it as a couple or it goes down in a burning glory. But it's really one of those experiences that either it makes or breaks you as a couple, and it happens very very quickly.
Speaker 3: Now that is a perfect segue to what we want to talk about, because we are going to talk about another reality TV relationship, and that is Abby Chatfield and Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: So this is I mean, unfortunately, this is the relationship that has taken over the media in the last couple of weeks. There's been so much conversation around it. The Facebook group has been going off brook who is this year's bachelorette. She is the very first ever indigenous bisexual member of the LGBTQR community, and that is worldwide. We've never had that in Australia, but they've never had a lead, a bachelor or bachelorette lead who's been a member of the LGBTQR community. Absolutely huge, huge moment. And now Brooklyn has or was very very good friends with Abbi Chatfield. Abby Chatfield who was from The Bachelor, She's Season seven, Matt agnew season. If you're somebody who listens to the podcast but doesn't follow Australian bachelor or bachelorette. Now, the reason why this has come into such the spotlight and this was causing so much conversation the Facebook group. That is the reason why Britain and I wanted to have a conversation about it on the podcast is because Abby Chatfield hard launched her relationship with Conrad and Conrad was one of the contestants on Brooks season and it has caused quite the stir. It's so convoluted and hard to talk about that we're going to try. Conrad was a favorite on the season of brook season. Everyone loved him, The public loved him. Abby had said on her podcast that she loved him. Abby appeared in the final of Brooks season as a friend as a confidante to help her through that. But on the day before Brooks finale, Abby decided to hard launch her relationship with Conrad. And this has just caused so much confusion, so much tension, so much divide in the public and against two people that were originally friends. Because it's so talked about in the Facebook group and it has been everywhere. We wanted to just give a bit of an.
Speaker 3: In sit into I guess because we've been in the Bachelor old we know what it's like to go to the whole thing, to be there at the end, to be at the finale. One thing that I want to point out straight away, and I think this was something that really pushed this divide, is that Abby had said previously.
Speaker 1: That she will never speak about her relationships publicly. She has made that very clear. She also said when she did hard launch this relationship with Conrad, she also said that she went against pr advice. She said she had pr advice.
Speaker 3: To not launch it. It wasn't the right time, and she said she ignored that and did it anyway. This was what started the divide. This is what started the conversation because people sort of saying, well, was the day before your really good friends finale the right time to launch a relationship knowing how much of a public figure you are. Because Abby is a really big public figure, she knows that what she's going to do is going to gain a lot of attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think you know, the big part of this is that the reason why people are so divided is because everybody's ships Abbey and Conrad together as a couple, and that became such the huge focus of the media attention is that everyone was so excited that Abby Chatfield is in a relationship with Conrad, both of them being so hugely loved. And I guess at the time Brooke had been very silent on the matter, even to the fact that Pedestrian brought out an article which was to the effect of, if Brooke doesn't have a problem with the fact that Abby and Conrad are together, then why does anybody else have a problem with it? Who were we to comment?
Speaker 3: Which is fair. I'm actually on board with that, and I thought the same thing. I had my own opinions of it. But the reason we never spoke about it was because we were not, you know what this is between them really, and if Brook doesn't have a problem, then we can't.
Speaker 1: As this was all unfolding, Britt and I both sort of sat back and we were like, Oh, this is a little bit fishy and there is definitely more to the story here. But until one of them came forward and actually gave a bit more context around it, we were like, we don't want to get dragged down into hypothesizing how anyone feels. But Brooke made it very clear this week exactly how she feels. Brooke put out this statement on her Instagram stories the other day and it reads, I hate to bring it up, but personally and mentally I have been disrupted by all the crap that came with the finale week we both have. I'm not a hostile person and literally do not have hate in my heart. Everyone who watched the show or was on the show cast or working as crew will know that I put my heart and soul into it and it meant a lot for me to open myself up so vulnerably like that. Not only that, but for what it meant for the lgbt QIA plus and First Nations community to have that display of representation, which moves me on to my new point, the hardest point. For that to be tainted once again by one to what I thought was a close friend, by two another white woman displaying what white privilege looks like, and three a very clear display of narcissism hurts me, literally paints me. I've reached out to this person to resolve this conflict, which in fact classic naive me, adult me went to this person to communicate openly about the layers of the complexity that this person's actions show and take away from not only me, but what it meant for a queer woman of color. If this wasn't me, I think still have this stance. You guys ask for my comment there it is now go give them more airtime, which is exactly what this is about.
Speaker 2: Woof Now, this is a.
Speaker 3: Really powerful statement, and I think it came from the heart. I think it was very well thought out. She definitely didn't jump into this without thinking. This is something she's sad on and she's in a place of her She's had a lot of personal issues. Everybody knows that as well, and I can't imagine what she's been going through. She did go on to say that this, in fact was about Abby, So we do know that there's a part of me that's glad that Brooks spoke up, because I think it's important that if she really felt hurt by this situation, she did bring it up.
Speaker 2: She's completely entitled to that.
Speaker 3: When I sat back and watched this all unravel, I would never have commented until everybody else involved had my initial thought one hundred percent after have been someone in that position in a finale, knowing how it works. I thought, just one more day. You could have just waited one more day. That's what I thought. There was absolutely no reason that it couldn't have waited one more day. And I know that Abby knows that as well. We've all been in this situation. You can't have gone through what Abby has gone through, what I went through, what you went through. You can't have gone through a finale on the Bachelor and not know how it works. She's so popular, she really is. She has a lot of pool. She knows that launching a relationship, finally finding love, everyone wants her to find love, like everybody wants her to be happy, So knowing that she's finally found love, she's finally happy with somebody that was on brook season and somebody that was really popular. Abby must have known deep down that that was going to cause a lot of attention.
Speaker 1: I don't think that there's any debate that that's a true and hard fact of this. I think that there is a bigger conversation that's kind of developed this idea, and especially it played out in the Facebook group, which is why we wanted to kind of address it. This conversation around what Brook has said is white privilege. And I saw so many comments in our Facebook group. I saw so many comments on Instagram. If you go to Abby's apology post, which we'll get into, surely, there's literally thousands of comments where people are debating around whether this ease or isn't white privilege. Now, the conversation here and the and I think that it's the big one is that the reason why it plays into white privilege is that this was such a huge momentous time in media to have an indigenous person be the lead on The Bachelor was huge. And when you go for your final exit interviews, like you sit down with Carl and Jackie O, you sit down with Who magazine, you sit down with all of the massive publications. This was a real time for Brook to be able to sit there and say what it meant for the Indigenous community, to answer conversations around why this season was different. But instead of her being asked questions around the contribution that this has to her community, the questions that she was being asked was around Abby and Conrad's relationship, and it completely overshadowed a time that puts so much light on something that was so important to be overshadowed by somebody else's relationship. And that's where the white privilege comes into play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's.
Speaker 1: Obviously an aspect of saying, who are we if we were not a person of color, if we're not a person of color, how can we say that this has nothing to do with white privilege. The fact of the matter is.
Speaker 3: A person of color that has been affected by this is telling us that this is what it has to do with and that this is how it has affected her, and we need to listen to that. We need to hear what Brooke is saying. And we saw how important this was to Brook and how.
Speaker 1: Momentous this moment was around Australia and how much she brought in her culture to this show. She was so proud of it, as she should have been, and I can only imagine how she felt like that was taken away from her at the end by Abby announcing her relationship. Yeah, and I guess like it was an interesting one for us, like for Britt and I and what you said earlier, Bert, like we've been through the Bachelor wheelhouse, like we know how it works, we know how much it is drummed into you, especially when you're that person at the end. So Abby Chatford being someone who made it to finale, we've all made it to finale. There's not that many people that have made it to the finale. And once you have experienced that, no, but it's once you've experienced that, you know that there's a very different set of rules that are forced into you by production, that are forced into you by your PR team, and your condition to know what isn't isn't acceptable. And I think that that's why, unfortunately for Abby she's been held to a higher set of standards because unlike Conrad and I know that there's a lot of people being like well, Conrad also broke the rules. I get it he did too, but he's kind of almost irrelevant in this conversation because he didn't make it through to finale, and he also was off the show by the time. It's more so the fact that Abby being friends with Brooke, her having that deep connection, that relationship, her having an active part on this actual season. That's what meant that these actions fell so much more in her court to be the responsible person. And I understand why everyone's feeling conflicted by this because genuinely we ship the relationship too, We think they are great together. We just also felt like, wow, that was a really really poor timing to launch it. Do we think that it was in bad taste? Absolutely? Do we think that Abby should be canceled for this, No, we don't. But Abby did come out straight away and very very effectively. It was literally within hours of brook statement, she brought out her own statement and her own apology. And I don't think an apology could have been worded any better than what it was. Look, it was a well oiled pr apology. But the problem with apologies now is you apologize and the public will say you didn't mean it, or it's not good enough, or you didn't think about it, or it's pr you don't apologize and the public say.
Speaker 2: You're a bitch.
Speaker 1: You can't front it, you're scared. It's the same thing if you turn off comments or leave comments on like in these situations. I don't know what the answer is.
Speaker 3: I think you definitely need the apology, but I understand that in the public eye it's so hard to come out on top.
Speaker 1: I do also think it plays into the idea that you're never going to please everyone. There's always going to be people who after you've made an apology, are mad because they feel let down.
Speaker 3: So abby did come out straight away with an apology to Brook Now it was a two page apology is very long. I'm not going to read the first page. It's just setting up how they met and the ins and outs. The second page let's get into now. The morning of I mistook a message from Brooke expressing her happiness for an approval of our relationship as a green light to upload a post. In the post, Conrad received an equally supportive message. I see with hindsight that this assumption was naive. I now understand the timing of publicly sharing our relationship should have been more considered, and that is my fault. I acknowledge that impact outweighs intent. I didn't take into account the Australian media landscape and the inherent privilege that I hold as a white woman. My actions have the potential to undermine the importance that this pivotal season of The Bachelor it holds to the First Nations and lgb TQIA plus communities. This is an extremely important conversation to be having. In future, this will be at the forefront of my mind and I will continue to listen to and amplify minority communities and endeavor to learn.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. It truly is a great apology, like has all of the parts that make for a good apology, I think for Abby and like I had just mentioned this before, but this being held to a high set of standards. It's not only because she's been through the whole wheelhouse of The Bachelor and she knows how the Bachelor works, and she knows how social media works, and she knows that all the eyes were going to be on her. It's also because Abby has really platformed herself as being an advocate for minority She has platformed herself as being somebody who fiercely is an ally of the indigenous community and of people of color, and I think in this instance, people who have seen support in her, people who have aligned themselves with her, they feel let down. And I think that that's another reason why there hasn't been so much focus on Conrad in this conversation, But it's all kind of been aimed at Abby being the one to announce it. So many people have weighed in on this conversation, and there does seem to be this real outrage on social media at the moment. Clementine Ford had some very interesting points. She went quite hard on her, but there was one part of it which I thought was really interesting, and I think it really sums up why Abby has been held to her higher standard. I don't want to be all people who work in media, but people who work in media are attuned on timing and what makes a good headline. One of the things I have always liked most about Abby is how media savvage she is. She came out of her season having the last laugh, and that is because she innately gets how this stuff works. She is an intensely influential person who speaks social media fluently, so doing the hard launch or whatever the kids are calling it these days of her relationship with Conrad the day before Brooks final episode. This is not a casual mistake made by someone distracted by love. At best, it's strategic at worst. It's cheap and mean and yes, deeply steeped in white privilege.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is a big statement.
Speaker 3: And like you said, that is a big statement coming from I guess two people that have always had a really good relationship with each other, Abby and Clementine.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is true, and this is us.
Speaker 3: We're the only reason Laura and I are talking about this today. We always steer clear of this stuff. The only reason we're.
Speaker 1: Commenting is because you guys asked from people that have been in that position. You asked our opinion on it, and we don't want to cancel anybody.
Speaker 3: We just want to have a conversation about us. What's happening. Was Abby in the wrong? Yes, I think she was. I think she could have waited a few days, and I do I think she knows that. Yes, she knows the media world. We know she knows that she's really really great at what she does. I definitely think that there is remorse for it though. I think we all we can all.
Speaker 1: Make mistakes, and it is very easy to get caught up in the pr wheelhouse. It's very easy to get caught up in knowing all right, if I do this on this day, it's going to have the most attention, It's going to attract the most eyes. And for somebody, when our life and our currency in the way that we earn an income is based on having clicks and lights and social media, it's really important to factor in these big life decisions because it's I mean, I'm not going to say that a relationship is a business decision, because their relationship is a real relationship, but the way that you launch a relationship can be very strategic as to how the public receives it. And unfortunately, I think a backfire. I don't think that it was done with deep malicious intent, but I think it was the wrong time. At the end of the day, where all humans, people do make mistakes, I personally and.
Speaker 3: You law, you don't ei that. We don't believe in canceling anybody. I know some people do, but we don't. The end of the day, Abby and Conrad are in a real relationship and they're really happy and they're working on that and that is amazing. Brooke and darvit in a really great relationship as well. I hope that everybody can find their happy ending and work it out. And I think there are a lot of lessons that have been learned in this situation by everyone involved.
Speaker 1: And do you know what, though, the last thing I would add to this is, like the big thing that this whole conversation came back to is that it took airtime. It took conversation and tension away from the fact that Brooke was the first indigenous lead. But these big conversations, even though they still unfortunately center around Abbey and the poor timing and everything else, it was Brook's opportunity to be able to gain back a little bit of that airtime. And as much as everybody, like we said, still ships this relationship, it's really great that we can look at it from the other perspective have some learnings. And that's the whole concept and why Britain and I are against cancel culture. It's because there is literally no learning. If you cancel someone and say we don't want anything to do with them anymore, then it's not an opportunity for them. To be able to do better, for us to do better and for us, or to learn about how this is all so closely tied into and linked to white privilege. Rightio, Well that was a big one to one back.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to say the very last thing, and that is that I don't think I think what we need to be very very aware of is that Abby Chatfield has done some bloody awesome stuff in advocating for and standing up for minority groups, in talking about conversations around feminism. And I don't think that one thing necessarily negates all of the good stuff. And that's the only thing about social media that I think sometimes makes me frustrated. It's like when someone puts one foot out of line, we go, well, everything you did prior is now in the bin because you're fucked up.
Speaker 2: And I don't like that.
Speaker 1: I think that we all live and we can have this continuum where we all make mistakes and we can all do better from them. Let's get into accidentally unfiltered, all right. I'm bringing in a confessional. It's been a little while since without a confessional.
Speaker 2: This is a pre random confessional. Actually, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's use something you'd want to confess Anyway, last night I've been like, it's something that you should take to the grave, Well.
Speaker 2: You tell me once you finish.
Speaker 1: Every's so often we get confessionals, and I'm like, oh, that's a bit fuss dirty. Yeah, like, no one would ever have to know this if you also like, you don't need you never need to confess that to us. Okay, you didn't want to take that to the grave, We also don't want to have the burden of taking it to the grave for you.
Speaker 3: Also, it's not like this, you understand when I read it. But there's nothing she's done wrong as such. It was just a very unfortunate situation.
Speaker 2: Oh god.
Speaker 3: Last night I was patting my puppy and I was running my hands through his tail when I felt something in his tail. Didn't think anything of it. When about my night, I started to eat my takeaway grilled.
Speaker 1: Burger and chips. Each time I brought a chip to my mouth, I could smell this subtle smell of pooh. I thought to myself, hmm, this is strange. Do these chips smell a bit funky?
Speaker 3: I kept eating my burger and chips while noticing the slight smell of shit after dinner. After dinner, I noticed a patch of smudged pooh on my sheets, and then it all clicked. I checked my dog's tail, and in fact, he had a massive dag hanging from his tail. I had poop on my fingers, and I ate my entire dinner with poop fingers. I mean, I love my dog, but not enough to eat his shit?
Speaker 2: Why do you mean?
Speaker 1: Why why are you telling us? But also I just think it's funny because she's like, I have a confession.
Speaker 2: You didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 3: This is just disgustingly unfortunate. But my question is if you were taking single chip by chipped your mouth and every time you've smelled pooh, why not keep eating the chips, like why instead of being like this smells like pooh. But I'm just gonna keep eating my way through it. That was for me, that is a red flag.
Speaker 1: To be fair, Okay, you're gonna think I'm disgusting. To be fair, I eat my shit. It was only that one time after I lost a bet On batchun cut, No, for like about three days, I was going into our bedroom and so we have an on suite in our bedroom and I was going into our bedroom. I was like, this is and this is also going back a while. This is not a recent story, but for three days I was going into our bedroom. I was like, fuck, it kind of smells a bit like shit in here. Like, it smells a little bit like shit. We need to get some drain oaks. That drain doesn't smell very good. So like second day, I was like, God, need to remember to get that draino. Yeah, it smells a bit like shit in here. The day I was like, could it be shit?
Speaker 2: I was like, I really need to remember to get that draino.
Speaker 1: Anyway, turns out I had a shitty nappy that I had changed one night in the middle of the night and couldn't remember and just like left it under my bed.
Speaker 2: I had a human shit under my bed and it would be hot in festering in the smell.
Speaker 1: In winter, but it was still, well, that makes it a lot better. Three day old baby shit just hanging out under the bed, shit on us in winter. I love that.
Speaker 2: What well, I was like, it was like hot and funky. You're like, now it was cold. I'm like, oh cool, it was poo.
Speaker 1: On I mean, if you're gonna, if you're gonna make a choice between like a warm summer poo and like a winter poo, you go for a winter poo.
Speaker 3: But I feel like the moral of the story here is, if you guys are smelling shit, maybe sus that out because it could just be that is ship.
Speaker 2: Isn't it.
Speaker 1: That's that's just like the most perfect Instagram quote for us to sum this up on you like shit, shit, If it smells like shit, investigate a little bit further, because there's a very good chair as it's shit. It's shit. Okay, I have a accidentally unfiltered for you. This accidentally unfiltered also brought up some really great conversations in my home with Matthew Johnson. So here we go for some context. First, though my boyfriend and I have been together for four years. We are very much in a beautiful, healthy, loving relationship. He is my penguin. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed that. Now let's get down to business.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The other day I got ready, I had some brecky, I kissed my beautiful boyfriend goodbye, and I went to work. You know the usual. Once I got to work, however, which is only five minutes drive away. I quickly realized that I had forgotten something at home, so I decided to drive back. It's the five minute drive. I come home. I opened the door, I went upstairs, and I immediately found it pretty odd that I couldn't see my boyfriend. By the way. He's also a FIFO worker and that was his week home, so I knew he would be chilling in the house somewhere. Our unit is very small, so usually I always see him on the couch or at his desk.
Speaker 2: There's nowhere to hide.
Speaker 1: I walked towards our bedroom door, which was closed, which is also odd, and before opening I said, hey, babe, and then I hear this little yep in a very defeated way. I opened the door to find him fully naked, sitting on the side of the bed, holding his flacid penis and covered income.
Speaker 2: Covered like covered income.
Speaker 1: He had just masturbated, and I fully walked in on him and caught him at the very final stage. He was so embarrassed. I couldn't stop laughing.
Speaker 2: I feel like, this is fucking fantastic. Imagine walking into your.
Speaker 1: Boyfriend and he's just like covered with come all up his belly in his chest?
Speaker 2: Is it funny?
Speaker 1: Because why do people think that's embarrassing?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: I asked Matt, and I was like, obviously, like we see everything of each other. The guy will poop with the door open. And I said to him, have I ever walked in on new masturbating? And he was like no, And I was like, would you be embarrassed if I walked in on new masturbating? He's like, the shame would kill me? Why?
Speaker 3: Like, as a woman, I don't get that because I feel like if I was masturbating and my partner walked in and saw me, I would probably just dive of laughter or like get like, yeah, just.
Speaker 1: In time, come join in? Would you would you join in if you walked in.
Speaker 2: On your I wouldn't say get out. I'm busy, aunt.
Speaker 1: It's different ones you've got kids, because I'm always too tired. If I'm gonna do it myself, I don't. I'm doing it because I don't want you to join.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if.
Speaker 1: You were masturbating and Matt walked in and saw you, would you feel shame?
Speaker 3: Like would you be embarrassed? I feel like we would both be the same. I think we'd just being hysterics. I masturbate under the covers, so he would never walk in. I would just be like, oh, it was like rolling over or something like, he would never know. It must be more of a man thing though, But like, would you be embarrassed? As my question, because I don't get the embarrassment. I don't get why the man's like I am.
Speaker 1: Mortified that you caught me at touching my penis, even though I touched my penis in front of you. Sometimes like I don't get it. I think I wouldn't be I think I would feel bad if Matt walked in on me masturbating. I would I just don't have the time for you. Yeah, I would feel so guilty that I was like, well, I'm pleasuring myself, but I would rather sleep than pleasure you. I mean feel bad.
Speaker 3: It is much better that you walked in on him masturbating than you walked in on him with someone else.
Speaker 1: And also, can I just say when I say I would feel bad, like when I say I'm too tired, I'm too tired to even do that. I like am the most unsexual being in the world right now. There's nothing I can't eat. I just don't have it hang on?
Speaker 2: What was the end of that sentence? I can't eat what I can't I can't eat pins, I can't eat I can't eat my dinner.
Speaker 1: I can't eat a dick Right now, let me tell you you could not.
Speaker 2: Fit it in. Too tired to inpendency?
Speaker 1: All alrighty. Today we are talking about co dependency. And the reason for that is, well, I mean, I think it's something that's a lot of us have some characteristics of, or display some traits of at different times in our lives, in different relationships. For some of us, it can be a very overwhelming and over arching characteristic. I myself, as I said, am a reformed, born again codependent. I was very very codependent in my past relationships. But understanding and unpacking where codependence comes from. On one hand, it also removes the guilt, like it makes I think that there's codependence. It's got a bit of a dirty word, like some people think of being codependence and they think of like, oh, you're so clingy or you're so needy, And the issue of it is really put on the person who is codependent without looking at the reasons as to why that person has formed those habits and The big thing that we're going to unpack is that a lot of codependent tendencies they're actually learn tendencies. They come from learning how other people navigate relationships emulating that behavior. They can also come from being in relationships that are maybe a little bit volatile or traumatic. So there's a lot of different parts. And also there's not really a cookie cutter, one size all when it comes to codependency. There are lots of different variations of this. There's lots of different types of severity, and the one person or the same person may be super codependent in one relationship and pretty autonomous and healthy in another. It can can also be relationship dependent.
Speaker 3: And when we talk about codependency just with our friends or when we think about it ourselves, the first thing you think of is this real neediness, this real negative connotation, Like someone's like, oh my god, they're so needy. You don't want to be you don't want to get into a relationship with them. They're two time consuming. I literally cannot think of another word other than needy. For me, that's what codependency is before I jumped into the research.
Speaker 1: Well, controlling, I think is another big one. Like I remember and looking back on my relationships and we'll unpack. We'll have a therapy session for Laura. I will unpack some of it. But like I remember when I was in relationships and I felt like I needed to check my partner's phone. And I think the big part of this is that if you have ever turned into a FBI investigator in your relationships, if you ever turned into that per person who's checking a phone or you need to know the whereabouts, the why, or what your partner's doing, it could be because their behavior has also not matched up to the things that they've been saying. Maybe you've been gas lit in your relationships. But a big part of that is also because you've struggled to set boundaries and you have some codependent tendencies. So we've always made jokes if you're a expent, if you're an OD listener of Lifelin Card. From the very beginning, we have made jokes about Laura monkey branching too relationships and the fact that she will openly say I was needy.
Speaker 3: I was really codependent. I needed someone in my life. I needed to feel wanted, I needed them, I needed to feel validated. But I want to ask you about that.
Speaker 1: Laura, Now, how do you define codependency in your relationships? Because it does present itself differently. It can be emotional bullying, it can be manipulation, caregiving, It can be suffocating, It can be an obsession with your partner. We know there are so many levels to codependency. Now, how did it present itself for you and your relationship?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 1: Right, Well, before we get into how it presents itself for me, let's just give you guys an overview of what being codependent is or what like the definition for it is. So codependency refers to a mental, emotional, physical, and or spiritual reliance on a partner, friend, or family member. Now that that's the definition, I actually think that's a pretty unfair definition. And like you, Telly, you tell Webster Dictionary on.
Speaker 2: Like you you hundred years of psychology report, I have zero degrees. But I'm going to tell you that that is wrong.
Speaker 1: The reason why I think that's wrong is because, like we all are going to rely on our family members, our relationships, our partners. Having some level of dependency is healthy. Like it's healthy to be in healthy relationships where you depend on your partner, if you have expectations, if you have healthy boundaries with your partner. That's healthy dependency. The reason and where codependency I think comes in. It's it goes beyond just having a dependence on your family members or your friends. It's when you don't have the ability to set healthy boundaries for yourself. It's when you sacrifice your own boundaries to be able to tend to that person. It's when you lose your sense of purpose outside the relationship. For me, I didn't care if my ow well, I shouldn't say I didn't care. I did care that my relationship was bad. I desperately wanted my relationship to be better. But I would have taken a shitty relationship over being alone because the fear of being alone was so much worse than being in a relationship where I knew what was going to happen. And when I say I knew what was going to happen, I knew I was going to get cheated on. I knew that I couldn't really trust him. But I also was so committed to fixing him and fixing our relationship and seeing his potential. And that's another huge trait of codependent people is that often when you play the role of being codependent. What that actually is is that you play the role of the caretaker and you get a lot of importance and self validation out of being needed yourself. It's very reciprocal in that way. Yeah, And at its core, and I'm saying, at its core now, this is a learned behavior. So you can come back from codependency, and you can come back to a healthy relationship, But at its core, codependency is dysfunctional. Is a dysfunctional dynamic where there is one giver and one taker. Now, I always have.
Speaker 3: Been the giver. I have never ever been a taker. I have been exactly in your position now. I have never thought of myself as codependent or needy. I've always thought of myself as a very independent person that I never felt.
Speaker 1: Like I needed a relationship.
Speaker 3: Until I did a deep dive with this, and until we spoke to psychologists Dan who've got on the podcast today, I didn't realize that maybe there were some traits of me that did present themselves as codependency. Just because I had been alone for ten years and didn't chase relationships and ran away from them doesn't mean that I don't develop some of those traits when I'm in the relationship, and when I read about it, it is definitely a lot of taking care of people and giving so much of yourself and sacrificing parts of yourself, maybe some of your non negotiables. Maybe there are things that you always thought you would negotiate on in a relationship, and you find yourself in the relationship putting those aside and saying it doesn't matter, I'll make you, I'll deal with it if it means that I'm going to be with this person.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what you just said, Laura.
Speaker 1: You knew it was wrong, and you knew you were going to get shat all over, but you didn't want to be alone, so you put your non negotiables to the side and you stay in that relationship. And that is and it's called the definition of codependency and dysfunction totally. And sometimes it happens so slowly, like your boundaries erode so slowly that you get to a point where you're like, I don't even know who I am anymore?
Speaker 2: Now? Did I get here?
Speaker 1: Totally? And that's what happened with me, Like I mean, I've spoken a lot about my past relationships, but the reason why I really wanted to talk about this today is because going back to this idea of blame, there can be a lot of guilt when you're somebody who's codependent because you don't necessarily feel like you're good enough. You don't feel like you are enough, and when you're in these dysfunctional relationships where you know, you go from one relationship that's not working out to another to another, because your sense of purpose is based around being loved, essentially, it really does erode your sense of self worth. And I really took that on as being like, this is my problem, what's wrong with me? And it wasn't until I unpacked a little bit around my childhood, my relationship with my parents that I kind of took a step back and had a bit more understanding around it and didn't wear that codependency with such blame. And also I think when you that whole concept of like when you know better, you can do better, and like when you know and understand why you are the person that you are, you can also work towards changing those things. One thing that's really interesting about the whole definition of codependency where it came from now, it's not actually a clinical term but the term was originally coined in the nineteen fifties and it came in context to alcoholics anonymous. Now where it came from is the partner of somebody who was substance abusing. What clinicians were seeing were that some partners were almost enabling of the behavior, and not enabling is then that they wanted their partner to remain alcoholics by any means, but that they made excuses for and so put up with this terrible behavior because they're life were so enmeshed in the relationship in a very unhealthy way. So that's where this whole conversation around codependency came from. It actually stemmed from being talked about in regards to being with someone who has substance abuse problems. But it is definitely something that has evolved in pop culture to be a much broader term. And when you think of like the classic person who is codependent, I mean, look at Lady Gaga in A Star Was Born. That is a codependent relationship someone who has very problematic views, very problematic substance abuse, and she was extremely codependent on that relationship because she was the vehicle to fix him. Now, don't judge me I haven't seen A Star is Born started, and.
Speaker 3: I know that is so controversial because everyone has said it's the biggest film of all time. It's that my friends have been like, it is the best movie you'll ever see. I've never been able to watch it because people tell me I'm going to cry in.
Speaker 1: It one hundred percent crime, and I can't do it.
Speaker 3: When someone tells me in crying is guaranteed, I avoid it. If no one told me that would watch. It's why I can't ever watch A Dog's Purpose.
Speaker 1: It's okay, that has got nothing to do with codependence. See but I agree, but that this okay, this whole concept is like we romanticize. Unfortunately, the movie is romanticize codependent relationships. They make it seem like it is the pinnacle of romanticism, this whole idea of like I can't live without you. But we realize that in actual real life that is very, very fucking dysfunctional and it leads to a lot of heartbreak and people who have overwhelmingly codependent tendencies really struggle to have long term healthy relationships if the other person is a taker and you can't get confused with dependency and codependency because everybody has to be dependent on someone at some point of life. That is healthy, That is normally in a relationship as long as they given and taking is equal. As long as when you need to take something and when you need your partner to be there for you, they are. Codependency is when the other person just isn't returning that. And I think it's really important that we differentiate the two. I want people to understand that there is definitely a difference with dependency and codependency. And if you do need your partner at some point, that is okay, and that is normal and you should be needing you partner. That's why we have these relationships as long as you guys are meeting in the middle. And as Britt mentioned, we do have Dan Orbark who's coming on the podcast. He is a psychologist. He has over two decades of experience as a relationship therapist, so he definitely comes with the experiments we come with the life experience.
Speaker 2: He knows his shit.
Speaker 1: He knows his shit. But what I wanted to talk about before we get into that chat with Dan, is that codependency isn't just in regards to romantic relationships. It can present itself in so many different areas and aspects of life. It's a learned and lived experience. You can be codependent in your parental relationships, as in like a mother can be codependent on her children. You can be codependent in a workplace. They just kind of present themselves in very different ways. So, for example, if you're somebody who has codependent tendencies and that was going to present itself in a workplace. You might be someone who is attracted to drama. And when I say attracted to drama, you probably don't even realize that the drama is happening, but somehow you always seem to get sucked into it. It's a very triangulating experience. So it could be, for example, that britt and Keisher are having a fight, maybe they're upset with each other, and Britt comes to me and she's talking about Keisha, And instead of me saying to brit hey, Britt, if you have a problem, you should really speak to her directly about it, I embed myself in that drama and then I go and say, ta, Keisha, Oh, Brittany's upset with you. It's it's this is a hypothetical, by the way, Kesha's gonna edit this and be like, what the fuck No, But it's just like we can kind of get sucked into that form of communication. And that also shows that as somebody who has codependent tendencies, we thrive on being needed, on being wanted, and that's where the being sucked into drama comes from.
Speaker 3: And it's the same thing with a family relationship. You can have codependency within your families, not necessarily always the parents or the children. It can present itself in any way. But if you find yourself as maybe the person that's constantly the caregiver of the family, the person has to fix all the problems, the person that everyone goes to, that is still a level of codependency and there are still ways that you can deal with that. We do talk to Dan about that in our conversation as well.
Speaker 1: In regards to like parent child codependency, which I think this is so interesting because I cannot tell you the number of ask gun cut questions we get written in where people are saying like, oh.
Speaker 2: My mother in law she does everything for my husband.
Speaker 1: Or vice versa. But there's this real feeling of like, oh, my husband is such a child and he takes and takes from you know, his mum, she still comes and does his washing. Or I think we've all been in relationships with not just men but women, people who almost have like an unusual relationship with their parents, where their parents still they almost infantize them, They still do too many things for them beyond what there is age appropriate. Right, maybe they're still doing their tax, maybe they're still doing their washing, whatever it is that can also be learned top down. It can be the parent who has codependent tendencies on their children, whereas their only sense of purpose, their only sense of like who they are, comes from the fact that they are a mumm and they struggle with the idea of having adult children because it means who are they if they can't parent their child. Ultimately, you want your children to grow up to have their own nucleus family. As much as you are still a critical and crucial part as their parent, you want your children to be able to form those connections and move on to create that family network with their own children. You need to cry alone in your bedroom.
Speaker 2: Don't put that on them.
Speaker 1: But it's hard, you know, it's hard to kind of make those transitions at each phase in life and to go from being a kid's most important thing, you know, the most important person, to accepting that evolution of that relationship, to understanding that you won't always be that person. I mean, I think my girls are going to grow up and they're not going to necessarily need me. They will one hundred percent always need you, but in a different capacity, in a different way, and it's it.
Speaker 2: It's just evolving.
Speaker 3: It's one thing I think is really interesting is this attraction for codependency and narcissism. Now we've done a whole episode on narcissism. We are really obsessed with narcissism. We like love, we love the time topic.
Speaker 2: We've both lived it.
Speaker 1: We have very lived experiences with it.
Speaker 3: But the idea of codependency stemming from wanting to help people and wanting to be careers and wanting to feel needed. Narcissists to thrive on that.
Speaker 2: They know that.
Speaker 3: So you do often see relationships, codependent relationships with one person being the giver and one person being a narcissist. Because they're coming hot, they love bomb, they get them really attached, then they pull back and they make them feel like that person is constantly having to work for their love. And work for their attention and give them and make them happy and do all these things for them. So I think this is why we see This is why it's not uncommon to see codependency and narcissism linked together totally.
Speaker 1: They completely go hand in hand, which when I found that out, I was like, no, that doesn't make any sense. But then the more you unpack it, You're like, oh, actually, that totally makes sense. And it also for me personally. You know, we've spoken, like we said, we did the whole episode on Narcissism Britain. I have both been pretty open about how we've both been attracted to narcissists in the past, and for me it made so much sense as to why I was attracted to that type of guy. But also secondly to that it's a real slap in the face when you're someone who is codependent or has codependent tendencies to accept some fault and to accept some blame in how how volatile that relationship can transpire. Because I guess when I say this what I'm I'm not gonna sit here and be like it is your fault that your relationship sucks. It is it is no like, well, I mean Yeah, sure, there, it's definitely sometimes it's people's fault and we can all sit back and figure out what we did or didn't do right. But when you're someone who's codependent, and this whole idea of like having no boundaries, you know, really succumbing to what that other person's needs and wants are and lacking in that self value and self worth means that you transform into the relationship. You become like you're like a little plugin of that relationship, and it's so hard to remove yourself because you get a lot out of making that other person happy as well. It's not like the relationship is entirely one sided where you'll give you giving and getting nothing back. You almost feel good about the fact that you're giving so much. It gives you purpose and validation. So there is this cyclical nature to it. Where as much as the codependent person is a victim in that environment, we also are contributing to it by continuously giving, and that makes us feel a little bit good as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just treating me and Kim kean joking, don't do that at the end of the day. I guess there is this blurred line between being codependent and just setting some boundaries for yourself, and it's a really hard place, and it's a really hard balance to.
Speaker 1: Achieve in a relationship. But I don't think it should be hard.
Speaker 3: With the right communication with your partner, Knowing what you want in a relationship, knowing what is healthy, knowing your non negotiables, all these things are going to help you in this relationship.
Speaker 1: They're going to help you set the boundaries.
Speaker 3: If you've written these down, If you've written these things down that you want in a relationship and you know that they're being crossed, if you know they're being compromised, if you know you're giving more than you should and not get anything back, this is when you need to take active steps to either remove yourself from the situation.
Speaker 1: Or work it through with your partner. If it can't be worked.
Speaker 3: Through, then you might need to think of the other option, which is leaving moving on to a different relationship.
Speaker 1: I mean, but that can be so hard for somebody who truly is codependent. The idea of being alone if you're very tried, totally to absolutely terrifying. If you're very high on that end of the spectrum, feeling the defeat in a failed relationship can be pretty overwhelming and a horrible feeling. And we're not saying like, well, if you're codependent, you need to break up, because, like we said, there's so many versions of a relationship that can be healthy that you can work on. And I would say only if you're someone who's codependent and you're in a relationship with the narcissis should you cut ties and move on? Something that I think is really helpful, and it goes back to this whole conversation around attachment styles. We did an episode on it back in July. It was episode one hundred and forty three.
Speaker 2: Fine topic.
Speaker 1: I did not have to look that up, but if you do, go and I haven't done your attachment styles. What attachment styles is is it talks about how well, when you were a kid, how you related to your primary caregiver, so it related to your parents and whether your parents were there for you. They gave you consistent love. And now this doesn't mean that they had to be incredibly perfect all the time. It just means that they were consistent and tended to your basic needs. For a lot of people who came from dysfunctional houses who didn't have or dysfunctional families who didn't have that consistency in their love from their parents. Maybe there was divorces, maybe they were going through some other turmoil. For me, and from my upbringing, my stepdad was a heroin addict, which I've spoken about before, very very briefly on this podcast. But it was a really really hard time in my childhood and there was definitely times where I guess that there wasn't that consistency, and it was I saw my mum go through so much and we went through so much, and I guess when I grew up, I never really thought that my childhood had had an impact or my ability to have good relationships. And it wasn't until we did this podcast and we started read searching all these different aspects of what makes healthy relationships and how we show up in our own relationships that I started to really realize, holy shit, maybe my childhood messed me up a little bit more that I realized at the time. But I think it's so important that once you know the where and the why behind something like why is it that you're making these decisions? Why is it that you're showing up in your relationship the way that you're showing up. That's the first step to being able to change some things about yourself that you don't like, or be able to change the way that you set boundaries in your relationships.
Speaker 2: For most of us, these.
Speaker 1: Are things that we can deal with on our own or with our friends or with loved ones in our families. But for those that aren't, and I found this really interesting, but there are big support groups. There are codependency anonymous groups that you can go to to get help. You can speak to you online, you can meet up in person. There's a lot of help out there.
Speaker 3: So I don't want you to feel like you're stuck and drowning in a relationship.
Speaker 2: And there's no doubt because.
Speaker 1: We all know that there is always, always help for anything in life. We can put some of the those details in regards to like codependency anonymous groups, we can put those details in the show notes. It's so interesting. It's like a twelve step plan similar to alcoholics anonymous. And the reason for that is is because it does play so closely into this addiction I mean codependency. Another name for it, if you look at the literature is actually relationship addiction, which is also what it's known for, which I just found so interesting because it's exactly what it is, this whole idea of like you need to find purpose, but finding it in your relationship with someone else, whatever that relationship is.
Speaker 2: But whilst we have the.
Speaker 3: Experience and we are interested in it, we obviously wanted to get somebody on that is a professional has literally studied this for the best part of twenty years, and that is why we got Dan all back on Now. He's the founder and co director of Associated Counselors and Psychologists. He literally has two decades worth of experience as a relationship therapist, so we wanted to ask him some questions and get a professional opinion on codependency. I learned a lot and I hope you guys enjoy this chat with Dan.
Speaker 2: Dan, welcome to light On Card. We're so excited to have you here today.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having men, glad to be here.
Speaker 3: Now, look the term a codependency. It is one that Laura and I have thrown around a lot over the years, but it's often sort of described as this person that's really needy or guess that's the colloquial way we all talk about it.
Speaker 1: But there's so much more to codependency. So can you just tell us in your experience, what is it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, it's a really good question and it's not an easy one to answer in a simple way because it's not a clinical phenomenon. It's not something that as clinicians we have a scale of. But probably the closest thing that you can come at it from is something we call attachment studies. So I don't know if a listeners are familiar with this idea of attachment. It's started as a study of infants and their caregivers and how they sort of relate. Are they having a good time together, are they getting soothing from each other? And then what does the infant do to sort of get soothing and care and what are the patterns? And then it started to develop into adult literature as well, and to how to adults relate to each other to get care and soothing from each other. And if we look at the attachment literature, there is a style of relating which is what we call sort of anxious preoccupied. It's really concerned with the other person and what they're up to, right, And in that sort of style, we often see more of a dependency on the other or at least externally, it looks like this person's dependent on the other person and they're kind of looking for confirmation. Are we okay? Are you still with me? Are you happy with me? And that's that sort of needy personality that you're sort of talking about, right, And it's really common. It's probably about twenty to twenty five percent of people in the other population have got that style of relating. And so you know, in some ways that makes for a great deal of warmth and sensitivity, right. Most therapists probably fall into that bag in some way. Right, And that's sort of one end of the spectrum, which is just nothing sort of in the sense clinical. And then on the other side, if we look at slightly more extreme examples, we're talking about that person you might see in a movie or possibly a friend who is in a relationship that you really are concerned is harming them or they're really putting themselves aside in a big way. They're not looking after themselves, and they keep making excuses because they're really attached to this other person who everybody else is going shit look out, and this person just somehow goes, yeah, yeah, I know I should, but right, So I guess that kind of sets the scene that helps you.
Speaker 3: We talk a lot about these attachment styles and how they developed.
Speaker 1: You know, we develop them very young. Is children with our families?
Speaker 3: Does codependency have to stem from our childhood and developing these attachment styles young? Or can somebody can an event happen later in life and we become more codependent as adults or teenagers.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of consistency from early attachment styles of influence through to adult life. And you know, it's quite uncanny. You can almost predict the attachment style of a preborn infant by interviewing the mother and then having a look at what happens ten years down the track, and you can pretty much get a good hit on what sort of attachment style that child's going to have. But there are definitely things that happen throughout the livespan. Definitely in adolescents. Sometimes there are a sort of you know what we'd call relational sort of trauma or stresses where somebody's got a really bad experience or a very intense experience and it orients them totally differently. It can even be bullying at school. It can be really shame inducing and suddenly the person loses their sense of security and they get really pushed off their equilibrium. The other way that it can sort of develop a lot later in life is an adult relationship to it as a real dependence on a person. And let's say you've got financial or physical dependence on a person. You're in a relationship and you're not financially independent, and suddenly that person becomes epusive in some way or dominating, and it can then be a real mix of this sort of real dependency and these developing traits of codependency, and it can be pretty hard to tease apart.
Speaker 1: So what's the difference between codependency and just dependency? Is there a difference or is that a silly question?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, I love that you're asking that. It's a great question. I think the risk of the term codependency is that we start to think of dependency as something negative, you know, And that really is the popular culture thing is like I don't want to be so needy, you know, And I think we really have to knock that on the head. I mean, what we're doing now in a lot of adult relationship work is looking at what healthy dependency looks like and healthy interdependency. And we now know that the sort of modern theory of adult love tells us the being able to depend on somebody, being able to call on them and bring them near to you to help and suthe you, is the most adaptive way to be in the world. Right, being alone just doesn't work as well. It's not as efficient. Right, you don't get as good a result. A host of studies now that tell us, even physically, the incidence of heart disease are stress cardiovascular problems are much lower in people who are well connected and who can call on another person for support. We do things like functional MRI studies where we look at people holding the hand of another person while they're enduring an electric shock, and if they're holding the hand of somebody they can reliably depend on, their experience of pain is greatly lessened. So we really understand now that dependency is a way to go. A codependency or a complex dependency which isn't going well, well, yeah, that can lead you to difficulties.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting that a I want to know who's putting their hand up to have an electric shock in an MRI machine.
Speaker 3: But I guess there's this in life. And I've talked to my friends about it, and I've thought about it a lot.
Speaker 1: I was on my own, I was single for the best part of ten years, So personally, I have no or I like to think I have no dependency or codependency issues.
Speaker 2: Sure that could develop, but.
Speaker 1: I just feel like as a learned trade, I learned to be in my own financially, emotionally, physically for a long time. But I guess when I speak to all my friends and everything, there is this real negative connotation to the idea of being needy. So when friends are talking about relationships, or I have a guy friend, for example, the.
Speaker 2: First thing he'll say is, I'm not that into it. She just seems a.
Speaker 3: Bit needy, She seems a bit too much, she wants to call me too much. Is there always this negativity surrounding codependency or can there ever be, Like you just said, other aspects of positivity Besides the fact that you know when you're being shocked, you feel more calm because you have someone with you. But are there other positive aspects to it?
Speaker 4: The cult that I belong to a relationship counselors, we're sort of super into lovely dependency and making it work so that each person can go out and be independent, knowing that they can come back to a really secure place. Right, so we've got this concept of a secure base. It's like we come back together to connect to sort of sense, share the things we're interested and excited about, share that things are a bit stressed about, help each other out with those, and then we go back out into the world and have our independence. So they're not exclusive of each other. But I get the feeling like maybe modern live instead of some of these sort of new ways of saying, ah, she's too needy. But it may also be a complaint about something else, which is we're just not quite able to work out how to get our cadence right together. We're just not able to sort of work out how to make it work so that we're both getting what we need here. And I think there is a lot of competing pressures in modern life. Right We're always working, we're at leisure, we're always doing everything at once. So it is more complicated now to sort of work out is it in our time to be together or are we doing something else.
Speaker 1: How common is it in your practice that people would come to you and talk to you about codependency being an issue for them.
Speaker 4: Generally speaking, the issues that we see most of in couples counseling are people who have perhaps drifted apart. Okay, that is in a sense the most dangerous if you like presentation, the most negative prognosis, where people have totally disconnected from each other, where they've failed at connecting so much that they've just gone into their own own worlds. And that's really it can be harder to turn around than a couple who's in high conflict. But the high conflict couples we see there is usually a pattern that establishes, and one person feels like they're not getting enough of a connection and they will sort of reach out for more of a connection, and the way they can often do that is through frustration or criticism. The other party then feels like, well, I'm not getting it right here, I'm not winning, I don't want to cut start a fight, so I'll sort of keep myself to myself and they start to withdraw and this sets up a little bit of a dance of sort of what we call a sewer distancer, and so the pursuer can start to look like a really needy, codependent person and you might say, Geane, they're so needy, right, But what you're not seeing is on the other side that the sort of real thing they're wanting is an engagement, like a real connection about something. The way they're going about it, it's to be critical. So this other person pulling away, and this is really ubiquitous. This is nearly all couples at some point in their relationship will recognize this pattern if they've been together for any length of time and they've had a few stresses thrown in the job, stress or children or whatever. So it's definitely a part of every relationship pattern that will sort of see that pursue distance. Not every but you know most of them will see that pursue distance pattern. But it's not quite the same as codependent because really what's happening there is that the dependency needs aren't being met properly and the person's in a reactive state. The more clinical sort of presentation of that codependency we see when somebody's had let's say early or relational trauma and they're not feeling really safe in the relationship and they feel really urgent about having the other person there. They feel like if this person turns away from me and doesn't sort of regard me, Well, it doesn't care for me, I'll fall apart. I will just dissolve. And they can become so panicked that they might drink, or they might act out in a huge way. They might cause themselves harm and then tell somebody let them know they've done that, and that is what we would sort of call that sort of more clinical level of codependency. Or on the other hand, you might have somebody who feels so much of a need to be reassured about being special to the person loved that they've got a sort of a more narcissistic need where they want constant reassurance of their specialness. And they might look like the dominant party. They might look the one who's giving everything to the relationship and who's the hero, but they're being bolstered by somebody who's constantly looking after their ego. And if they're turned away from they can get quite ashamed. Often that's off the shame based issue. They can get violent or controlling or manipulative. So yeah, those are the sort of patterns that we don't see that often, but they're the more serious what we'd sort of probably be able to call codependent. In somewhere.
Speaker 1: Do you ever think that people are fearful of explaining or asking for what they want in relationships, for fear of being deemed as needy or for coming across as codependent.
Speaker 4: That kind of is a good question of like, is it a turn off to ask what you need? No? Actually, we know that when people clearly, cleanly ask for their needs to be met, when they show vulnerability, it's a massive magnet. And that's the same for men and women. It's just a mammal thing when we say, hey, look, here's my underbelly. I want to be with you. If people like that, you need to tap into what it is you want. And often if you just ask yourself the question is do I want to be nearer? Do I want to be closer to this person? The answer is probably yes, what do I really want? And how do I bring that a non accusatory way that is about what I want rather than about what they're not doing? And that's super easy to say, it's super hard to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like here at life, I'm kitt Laura and I We constantly people advice, We give each other advice, we give our friends advice. And then when it happens to ourselves. We're in a situation, we just that advice goes out the window. Do you think it's easier for people outside of the relationship to identify what's happening in your relationship as opposed to actually being in the relationship. So to many couples to come to you knowing that they're in that situation, or do they come to you with their problems and you're like, hang on a minute, I know what's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, I think often they don't know what's going on. There's often a sense of things aren't good. He's not changing, he's not hearing me. All the other way around. Everyone else is sort of concerned about us. Yes, we should do something about it doesn't feel good. There's lots of fights, But outside the relationship people are seeing, hey, you're starting to compromise yourself, you know. And it can be a stippery slight. But it doesn't necessarily always happen that it's a childhood condition. Sometimes it's just to be fall in love with somebody and they gradually show themselves to be a little unwell, like they might have an addiction that we didn't know about, and suddenly we're like, oh, well, I really want to keep the relationship. I'll make it work. Or they've got a gambling problem, or they don't like us seeing our friends, and suddenly we're like making excuses and everybody is going, this is bad news. But we are so attached and we so want to make it work. With that attachment drive, that desire to connect starts us compromising ourselves, and yet everybody else can see it, but we're like, no, no, no, I really need this.
Speaker 3: So you think sometimes it's important for us to I mean, if friends or family or people that are close to us are reaching out and telling us things these things, do you think it's important to actually take that on board and try and take yourself out of the situation, Because I feel like a lot of people get really defensive.
Speaker 4: I've had experiences like when I started in clinical practice twenty plus years ago, out of client, she was in hospital for a very strong alcohol dependency. She was in an extremely violent relationship and a very isolated spot in the country. I was the sort of case manager on this file, and after three or four weeks of inpatient treatment, we'd made this plan for her to leave and for her to arrange her affairs. And on the last day I went to sort of go over her exit plan, and she was like, you know, yeah, I've just decided to go back just for a few more weeks, just to tidy up and do a few bits and bobs with these affairs that I've got to settle. My heart just sunk and I just thought, Wow, like, you know, this is the power of that sort of a toxic attachment or that sort of a sort of need to stay connected. And so I think that we can be so attached to the relationship that we don't see the danger that everybody else sees, and even if we do, we feel more urgent about losing the relationship than having that other dangerous thing happened to us. So I think there's a couple of things that I can think to do. You know, one thing I learned was that if you're really with somebody who doesn't want to look after themselves in something, then sometimes we can turn it and to have them take the perspective of their partners. So, for example, in a relationship where somebody is violent and the if you're like victim isn't wanting to speak for themselves, we can start to say things like, look, you know, I'm aware that X has been violent with you lately, and it seems to me like he's got a lot of regret about that, and I'm thinking we should work on something we can do to sort of make sure that doesn't happen, because I know it's bad to both of you. So we incorporate the other person into the care which sounds a little bit benevolitive, and it is, but it's sometimes just a way of getting a little bit of an entry point, which is they're so used to caring for the other, we have to bring the other into the equation and make it something that's going to be beneficial for everybody. The other way where codependency comes from is actually from the addictions movement, and it comes from the idea of partners who are dependent, or rather were seen to be codependent with their addictive partners. There's the sort of philosophy of, look, we can't enable you, we can't agree with you, but we're here for you, or ready here to sort of be with you and love you and support you. Think it our help to sort of get sober or get claimed. So in a roundabout way, I guess what I'm saying is you can stay a good friend by staying in contact, staying connected and being there, but you've got to wait for that person's readiness to sort of have the opening.
Speaker 1: If somebody is listening to this and they think that maybe they themselves have some codependent tendencies or that it's something that they identify with, but they're definitely not ready to leave their relationship, or they're not even necessarily ready to have those conversations with their friends, and there is that defensiveness. What are some suggestions that you might have or how can somebody work through having these codependent personality traits?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, look, I think it's tremendously hard to work on yourself. But one of the things you can ask yourself, I guess, is you can make a list of things that you've compromised in order to be in the relationship. You know, like in terms of trying to build some motivation, you can say, look, are they're things that I've never imagined myself accepting or doing or agreeing with that I'm now doing And try to make that list and try to sort of see, look, what would it look like if I wanted to get these once non negotiables back into my life, like, how would my partner react right? How do I feel about the fact that they don't react well? And even if I'm not ready to admit it to anyone else because they might threaten my desire for this relationship, can I admit it to myself that I'm starting to compromise myself? Can I start to build that awareness? And then I guess just acknowledging that, like the dependency you have, it really is giving you something, even though it might just look abusive to other people. That sort of shared commitment to each other is the most essential thing in human adult experience is to have somebody else that you can count on, is to have a connected adult partner. We just know it's the dependency that really helps people to thrive. So I guess it's just acknowledging, Look, I have a real need here, and at the same time, there are things that I'm starting to compromise and starting to keep in mind whether or not you can bring those things back into the relationships as needs of yours. You know what a lot of people will do is they'll sort of speak to their friends about it, and they'll sort of say, oh, you know, this and this happen. Their friends will get really urgent and say you've got to do this, you got to do that. Then you'll go, yeah, yeah, I really got to And it's just a cycle and never goes anywhere. So I guess I'm trying to acknowledge both. I'm trying to say, look, at least to yourself, acknowledge in a real way what the issues are, don't try and sort of hand them over to somebody else, necessarily initially, and then also acknowledge that you really have this need for this or this design for this connection. And if that's a dilemma that you can't solve on your own, then it's probably not a bad idea to have a private space to do some therapy and to try and see if you can sort of rebuild and reconnect with this sort of sense of self or maybe develop it for the first time. The sense of this is who I am, this is what I need. I come first. I have to look up with these certain things, and it's not so easy for everybody to do, so I'm not quick to judge people who are struggling with this. Come back to that sort of is what the definition of codependent. Sometimes we've got people who are let's say, engaged in addiction, or we've got serious mental health issues, and if they're unaddressed and the other person's trying to sort of make it work, you've got one partner who's trying to make the relationship work and somebody else is very unconscious about a lot of their behavior. Right in that circumstance. We call those pretty hard reasons in order to address the relationship in relationship counseling and to ask for change. So those things have got to be addressed by the other partner. So you can try and change yourselves as much as you want. But if there's an unaddressed significant addiction or mental health issue, or you know, violence, those are hard reasons to ask the other person to look at their behavior and change. You can't turn that around them, you're right. But if there's a sense of look, you know, we're in this sort of dance where I'm constantly sort of asking you to be there more and you're constantly feeling I'm too needy. I would hate for somebody to give up the relationship on that basis, because I think that happens to most couple at some point.
Speaker 1: Can you just tell us overall, what do you think has changed over twenty years.
Speaker 3: What do you think has changed? What is our generation doing wrong or differently? Because the biggest thing we get in our dms and our emails that people write in is that they can't make relationships work. They feel like no one wants a relationship anymore. They feel like people throw it away and check out too quickly. They feel like they're disposable. And I think this is why people are making sacrifices and settling in relationships, because they're so scared that these days someone's going to be like, you know what, thank you. Next I can jump on twenty five different dating apps and find someone to replace you.
Speaker 1: What do you think we're doing wrong?
Speaker 4: As an individual psychotherapist, where I work with individuals, I see a lot of this and a lot of people sort of going, you know what. In the real world, I can't demand my real needs. I can't really ask people to take me seriously. I've got to just sort of be playful and easy going and roll with the punches. And I think that's our mistake as a society. As a society, we're not demanding proper dates, proper starts to a relationship right, and so people are going along and trying to play it cool and allowing all sorts of shitty behavior that makes us feel insecure, and maybe this will change. Maybe you know, my model is outdated, but my sense is that people need a bit of certainty when they're starting out on something, at least in that sort of courting period, that like, hey, let's check each other out. Let's see if we're into each other, and let's do that at the exclusivity to some extent of other people. Once we have an idea that maybe it's sort of something we're interested in, and I think that we need to sort of back ourselves and go, you know what, like proper order to things, you know, like, let's take this seriously for a while. Let's not see anyone else for a little WHI, let's give us a little shot. We don't have to be super casual about sex or about dating. I think there's this sort of casualization now of sex where it'swipe left, let's hook up and then see what happens next. We can still be traditional and say, look, you know, let's meet, let's go for a walk, let's have a coffee, let's see if our bodies actually feel like sex before we get into it, rather than get really pissed and just hook up it and then sort of feel like shit. So I think trusting ourselves a little bit more on what our bodies are telling us we really would do if we had the choice, and backing ourselves rather than falling victim to the sort of commodification or sort of applification of our relationships. You know, we've kind of got to win back a little bit of our control about how humans do shit from the tender era.
Speaker 1: Dan, thank you so much for coming on the podcast and bringing your expertise to talk to us about codependency. For anybody who is interested in finding out more about you, where can they find you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you can. You can find us on the internet Associated Counselors. I work with a network of counselors around Sydney or counselor Sydney dot com, dot you, or you can follow us on eight two o five five sixty six and we'll get to put up with the councilor look for yourself with your relationship.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dan, all right, thank you?
Speaker 1: All right, guys, you know that we never finish our episode with that. Our suck and our suite, our highlight and our lowlight of each and every week. Brittany, I know what your sucking your sweet is going to be this week, because I'm pretty sure maybe for the first time in two and a half years, we have the same sucking suite. Okay, I'm going to start bye, We're going to do opposites.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna start with a suite this week and then Laura, you can deliver our suck our suite one hundred and ten thousand percent. Is that because of all your amazing humans, We won the Listener Choice of the Podcast Awards for the Australian Podcast Awards for two years running, and we were just it was actually so unexpected and we were so beyond excited. I can't believe that we got to the end of the episode before we remembered to like tell you guys and also thank you.
Speaker 1: It's just been a fucking mental week. But last Thursday is when the Podcast Awards were on. If you guys followed along on Instagram, you would have already known and we just we just love you, We just love you so much. So honestly, if you voted me has a puppy descent, to every single person who voted, 'll be in the mail next week. He's incorrect. That is a fabricated lie, Laura. But honestly, it was just the best night. It was so awesome to be out and be around people who were all from the industry because podcasting is such a weird thing. It's a weird, little, insular, isolated world where we all work in silos. We all sit in our bedrooms, or most people are a bit more professional than us, they sit in studios. But we don't really get to interact with other industry people. And so it's.
Speaker 2: Awesome which is in with each other.
Speaker 1: We don't have like a workplace. It's so amazing that there is every year, once a year that there is this Podcast Awards, and that it kind of just gives us a moment and to sit back and be like, oh, that's it's a really cool little industry that we get to work in.
Speaker 3: And we did also get bronze in another category, which is the Spotlight Award, which was we're really stoked about as well. But one thing I wanted to say is, and I feel like people might not know this, but podcasting is an industry where I think a lot of people think that women and competing podcasts are exactly that in competition.
Speaker 2: With each other, that we don't like each other.
Speaker 3: I cannot tell you how great it was to have drinks with all these other women that we I guess people think that in our competing categories were everyone was amazing, everyone was congratulating everybody.
Speaker 2: It was just such a beautiful environment. Totally wish people could see that. I wish we could see the behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'll read you around a message that Mia Friedman sent me because she wasn't there at the awards. But this is just goes to show this whole idea that just because we work in the same industry that podcasts must be competing for downloads, we must hate each other. Mia sent me a message saying you won, you fucking bitch. I presume there are some laughing emojis after that. I mean, I don't know why anyone would think that we all hate each other. Sure, I'm so thrilled for you guys. You have earned it. We're so proud of you. And I said, don't worry me out. We hate you guys as well. And then she said, oh yeah, cat fight with lots of little Ninja emojis.
Speaker 2: That's just the best.
Speaker 1: It's so awesome that even though we obviously are competing in this space that you know, we got to meet Jesse from Mama Mia out Loud, We've got to hang out with other people who are in our industry, and it really is such a supportive, uplifting women working together, little vibe I'm all for. There is absolutely room for everyone. Okay, we're talking about like women supporting women and women being successful in all this the suck of the week. I know that brit you have the same one, and I'm gonna say it right now. So you guys know, we talk about Daily Mail a lot on this podcast. We complain about the media all the time. So we did win the Podcast Awards. It was an awesome achievement and we were so so proud of ourselves and we were thinking, maybe for once, maybe for once, Daily Mail will write an article that's like, yeah, you know what, go the girls.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, the article that came out, the article headline was Laura and Brittany get upstaged by a very handsome Mattie Jay. And now it doesn't sound like it's I mean, it's a pretty innocuous little headline. It doesn't sound like it's that offensive, but it really was. It was just a moment where I guess it felt so belittling that this huge achievement that we, you know, had worked so hard for and that all you guys had voted for, which meant the world to us, had been overshadowed by literally the suit that Matt was wearing. Literally you were wearing linen of the same color, and no one mentioned any Aboutlaura's abby.
Speaker 2: No, it was just really bad, pointing fucking iron my outfit too, guys. I had to iron at twice.
Speaker 1: Not to have the only article written be about Matt, who was there and how good he looked is absolutely I mean we were like, we don't need we don't need people to prop us up.
Speaker 2: That's not what it was about.
Speaker 1: We just thought, if you're going to write an article on us being at the podcast Awards, surely just maybe say well done to us, congratulations, good war, so not just make it about the man in the photo. So we were really disappointed with but Matt had such a great comeback. He recorded such a great video that sort of put them in their place.
Speaker 5: Last night was the Australian Podcast Awards, and there was an article that came out. Headline reads up here Laura and britt get upstaged by a very handsome Mattie Jay. And initially I was quite flattered, especially because it's a pretty shit photo of me. But then I thought, you know what a shame. This came out just after the girls had won the People's Choice Award for the most popular podcast and all of Australia. You know what an incredible achievement, and yet this is the headline they get. And I just think it was a perfect example of the sexism that women have to face by Australian media, and I just think we can do better.
Speaker 1: Anyway, That is it from us, guys, Another episode down. Thank you to everybody who has tuned in listened. Also to every single person who voted. We love you so much and we are so grateful for this community. It is truly the best thing to ever happen to Brittan I and you guys.
Speaker 2: Know that are anyway. I mean, you know, once upon a time we won the bachel little Bit. Fuck it. This podcast well and truly is the best.
Speaker 1: But guys, you know the drill if you haven't left a review on Apple Podcast and you love the episode, go do that. And in the meantime, tell your mum, tell your dad, tell your sister, your brother, your cousin, your nephew, and your dog.
Speaker 2: And share the love because we love love