Speaker 1: Are you a people person? If you want to succeed, you might just have to be one of those. This has certainly proven true for Brian Scrutemor, the CEO of one eight hundred got Chunk, a half billion dollar US company. Everything comes down to people. For Brian, hiring the right team and making sure that people work well together is the work that determines how smoothly all the other work will go. So how does a people person operate when he is not allowed to actually be physically present with other people? How does someone who prides himself on spending one on one time at the desk of every new employee welcome people to the company when they live in a different country. And how have the working hacks and habits of one of the more eccentric How I Work guests changed since we last spoke pre pandemic. My name is doctor amanthe Immer. I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium, and this is How I Work, a show about how to help you do your best work. When I last had Brian on How I Work, one of the things that stuck with me was his strategy for having efficient and effective meetings, which he calls PAYOT. This stands for purpose, agenda and outcome, and Brian doesn't accept a meeting or set a meeting that doesn't have a PAYOT. Now, Brian is also a fan of the daily huddle, and I was keen to know how his approach to these daily huddles had changed now that his staff all over the world are embracing hybrid work.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting when the world was hit with this crazy change and the pandemic and how we had to reinvent work. We of course were all working from home, and instead of having a daily huddle where the hire office, there'd be a few hundred of us in one room, high energy, a different person each day leading the huddle, standing on stage, and then you'd have a few hundred people all contributing good news, what's working, what's not, for seven minutes in a big stand up. And I thought, this is never going to work from home. No one is going to be able to make this work through video, and when the pandemic's over, we'll go back to doing it in person. Well, quite the opposite. I was wrong. About two weeks to three weeks into doing huddle, the new way I realized it was actually better and better for a couple of reasons. One is, instead of being in a big room seeing everybody's backs on Zoom, you're seeing everyone's smiley, friendly faces. Instead of having the extroverts do all the talking in a zoom world, you have the chat being lit up by the introverts who might not want to speak up in person in a room. So I found that the huddle virtually has actually become much better. And depending on who's running it, so three hundred and sixty five days a year, well not weekends. Whoever's running it chooses to run it their own way, and they'll often produce it a little bit. They'll have a DJ start the meeting, whatever the case of what they're bringing personally. And it's been unreal I mean, you just never want to miss huddle. It's engaging, it's fun, it's fast, and it can access as an entire company. If people are traveling and they're on the road, they're still able to show up at huddle, So we would miss all those people who are out of the office. But now in a virtual world, it actually works better.
Speaker 1: What have been some of the highlight huddles from the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: One of the highlights for me was the bring your kids to Work day. So we were all quarantined and stuck at home, and so we knew people had their kids and their pets and everything with them, but we said, let's actually have them show up on camera. And it made me realize, Wow, look at the impact that we've got as a company. Any company has on people. It's not just the people you hire, but they're families and the ones that you know, the people they live with, and so it was quite exciting to see on this big zoom screen little kids, grown kids, pets, the whole bit, and it was quite emotional. It was a really nice feeling. So that would have been the highlight for me.
Speaker 1: Oh that's beautiful. Now in terms of the huddle itself, how long does it go for? Like, how is it structured?
Speaker 2: It's a seven minute again daily stand up, but now Ruin's sitting down it is. It's on YouTube. We often get people to google O two E brands or one eight hundred Got junk and they can find one of our huddles. The old school way, the New school way. It's still the same format. We open with good news on any given day, there's a whole bunch of good news to share, so let's talk about it, and we get a bunch of people blurting out different good news. We then go into the numbers, what does it all mean? What do our growth numbers or what do our key metrics mean for the growth of our business? And then we go into a ninety second in the news we call it, which is tell us about your department, your area that you're speaking up about different person every day. What's going on and what are you doing to drive the business forward? Where are you stuck?
Speaker 3: And you might need help?
Speaker 2: And so it might be financed one day, it might be pr another day, but it's a window into the operations of that part of the company. It gives us a bigger and better sort of feeling of how we're all working together towards a common vision. Then we end with missing systems, just to quick is there anything broken not working that we need to improve on? And then a cheer And I remember when we first started huddle twenty some odd years ago. One of the leaders that ran Huddle that day said let's bring it in for a cheer, and it became very much like a football huddle or some sort of scrum we're fist in and something to cheer about. Were we on Oprah Winfrey that day? Did we have a revenue goal that we exceeded? What something's happened that day that's worth cheering about, and we always cheer at the very end. So seven minutes. We were much more structured with it pre pandemic, and it would always end on time. We are giving it a little bit of buffer. And I'd say that the virtual huddles, there's so much going on that it often will go up to about ten minutes at the peak.
Speaker 1: They sound amazing. I don't even work for you, and I want to attend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, Well we'll have you as a guest someday.
Speaker 1: I'd love to. Now what else are you doing differently when it comes to meetings? And I might add that I was saying to you before we started recording. Something new that I'm doing with my how I work interviews is that I've got video, Oh, and I don't record the video, And you've got this gorgeous backdrop of kind of like it's like a picture of a gorgeous like snowy mountain, and you've got a couple of quotes it says it's kind of fun to do the impossible. And so the advenure begins and you're wearing a hat that says it's all about people. Can you like let's start with that, because I feel like meeting so much these days around what you see tell me about how you've curated and why you've curated this background.
Speaker 2: Well, at our head office, the Junction, which is our head office for one eight hundred, God, Junk, WOWE Day and Shackshine, all three brands, and we are big individual storytelling.
Speaker 3: So all the.
Speaker 2: Walls have these big decals all over them that tell stories of key moments and milestones from the business, key people, and it's a great way to have people immerse into those stories, motivational quotes from us and so on. And so when we got into the at home world and I'm in my basement in Vancouver, and yes, I do spend time back at the offices at well as well, but I found that how do we bring the Junction into our homes? And so I got our company that does our decals to do one in my basement. So where I'm sitting right now, where you know I've hit you with a few messages, some quotes. My hat is a I've got probably I don't know a dozen different hats that I wear with the brands with different quotes, things I believe in, depending on what Zoom I'm on. In person, I'm always always be branded type of person. So when I drive my truck, it's all wrapped with all the brands. When I'm in the office, I'm wearing my Converse sneakers that have the brands on them, and in a virtual world on Zoom, you can't see my feet. So I started getting hats with the different brands, and I might wear Wow one day one day, or the one I'm wearing today. It's all about people, as a reminder that every thing we do in our business starts and ends with people. When we take care of our people, it takes care of the magic of the entire business.
Speaker 1: That's so great. I love that. It reminds me of something Tim Kendall told me on the show many years ago. So he used to be the president of Pinterest, and he's now the CEO of Moment, which is an app that helps people curb their mobile phone behavior. And he was telling me when he I think he started as the president of Pinterest. They had a very big goal in terms of user growth, and it was all about focus and not trying to do everything, just trying to do a few things really well. And he said, you know, until we reach I think it was several million yearsers they were trying to grow to from sort of tens of millions. He said, I'm going to wear a T shirt that says focus, and I'm not going to take it off until we've hit this goal. He had several T shirts. He wasn't like filthy, but I just thought, you know, it's the communication channels that we can use as leaders are really few and far between. So I love that you're using your hat to do that. What are some other ways that you communicate with people in a way that does help the message cut through?
Speaker 2: I think in this ever changing world that we're in right now, we don't meet all of our new employees in person anymore, and so I use vigyard, which there's many platforms, but it's a video platform that I send out personal messages to every new employee.
Speaker 1: And hang on, how do you spell that?
Speaker 2: Vigid v I D Y A R D vigyard dot com And there's a bunch, there's Loom, there's a bunch of competitors. But I love the Vigyard platform. It's easy. I can either do it on my desktop or from the space, or I can do it on my phone and I will go through and just record a one take sixty second welcome message to that. So my people team will give me a spreadsheet of the new employees and they'll tell me a little something about them that they happen to be into football, or they happen to be into skiing or cooking, and I'll just share a personal story or a welcome message that's specially made for them. And it's awesome because in my own business, pre pandemic, you'd walk around and you'd go to someone's desk and say hello, but it wasn't as connecting, I think as the videos can be, because you have to think through and have some prep as to who is this person and find out a little something about them. And while it's one way, I often get videos back from people as an appreciated message back, but I find that people comment on it all the time when I do meet them in person.
Speaker 3: They're like, oh, you sent me a video. When I started, it.
Speaker 2: Meant so much that the CEO took some time and I'd batch them. And so if we've got eight new employees that week, I'm doing eight minutes worth of it. D It's no big deal, but it means a lot to people. So it's finding as you've sort of alluded to different ways to connect with people and get the message out. And I think people follow leaders that they can connect with. So as a CEO who will never perhaps work with some of these people in my company just because we've gotten so big, it's still setting the stage for how they might go treat others and how they might welcome their new employees or show that we are really working hard to make a connection with our people.
Speaker 1: I've heard that you're also big on video feedback. Can you tell me about like your method of giving people feedback on their work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll use the same tool, videyard, which allows you to record your screen So if someone sends me an email and a PowerPoint deck or a slide deck to look at, I find rather than just typing a message back to them, I can screen share and I can move my mouse and point to things and annotate on it or talk through what I love about the deck that they've shared, or some opportunity that maybe they haven't thought about. Ask them a question, give them some feedback. And I find that it's a way to have an asynchronous meeting At times. You know, we're all so busy at the end of my day when I'm catching up on emails, these people might have already signed off and they're offline, and so I don't want to send them an email that they're going to get a little bit later and feel obliged to have to respond.
Speaker 3: To the CEO.
Speaker 2: So video is a great way for them to watch and respond back if they like when they like. And you know, someone in my companies said that I started a vigyard movement because it started to spread because people have realized that you can communicate more effectively. It can take me two minutes on commenting on something that might have taken me a lot longer to write out. It might even be fifteen seconds. But they're still getting a from Brian's mouth. I hear his words, I see his face. It's not just typed out and is Brian mad? He was so brief? Is there's some issue? And it works very very well. I also like selfishly for me. When I do get a video, I can speed it up on double speed. We all talk relatively slow, so you speed it up to twice the speed. It's like great, you still get the entire message in half the time.
Speaker 1: Now, what are the things that There's many things I admire about you as a leader, but one of the things that I feel like you're particularly good at is communicating the vision for your group of brands in such a compelling and inspiring way. What are the things that you're consciously doing or the tools that you're using to be able to do.
Speaker 2: That, Just consistently sharing the same messages but in different ways. So when I share, everything's all linked in my mind. So it starts with the painted picture, here's the vision of what we're building, what it looks like, why we're building what we're building, and then going out to people in consistent sort of. It's almost like a radio ad. You know, nobody puts a radio ad out there and runs it once and expects results. You've got to have it played over and over and over so that you hear it in different ways at different times in the car at home, and you don't forget it. And I think that our messages growing a company are no different. So the starting video to someone welcoming a new employee into the company, you know, thank you for being a part of the OTWE family, and I've got an opportunity to communicate why I believe it's important that they've joined. Then at Huddle, the constant sharing of good news. It's clear we're an optimistic business and how we do things because people can hear every single day there's good news and we end in a cheer. And then the storytelling on the walls, both at the head office or in my home office. It's then things like the pr stories, the social media, everything we do, the hats I wear, the hats other people wear.
Speaker 3: It's just a.
Speaker 2: Constant sort of repeating, if you will, of the important messages, but at different times in different ways, to make sure we're all aligned. I think one of the things we do really well as a company. We've got plenty of things that we're not good at, but I think we're very consistent. When people come in looking to be involved in owning a franchise with any one of our brands, they always tell us that no matter who I meet with, they're all saying the same things. Like people are just really focused and aligned in our messaging.
Speaker 1: Now, you said that that starts with painted picture, which is a tool or a strategy. I guess that I know that you've been using for gosh like many years. Can you share how that works? The kind of picture?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe I'll tell the story of how it started. But I was about seven or eight years into my business. I'd created a million dollar junk removal business. It was called the Rubbish Boys at the time, and I wanted to grow it into something bigger, and I joined the Entrepreneur Organization and I started comparing myself to others, which was a terrible thing to do. And I saw these people had much bigger, better businesses than I did. And I hadn't finished high school, hadn't finished college. And I thought, oh, can I actually do this? Can I build this business? Do I want to do? I have the money? And do I even have a good idea? So I was in a negative space, and I went and sat on my parents' dock at their summer cottage, and I pulled out a sheet of paper and I started writing out feverishly what my future would look like, and just dreaming up possibilities I said, we'd be in the top thirty metros in North America by the end of two thousand and three, we'd be the FedEx A Junker Moval, We'd be on the Oprah Winfrey Show. And I started writing out this vision of what the future would look like five years down the road in two thousand and three. And when I took that sheet of paper and read it over at the end, I was like, Wow. I went from absolute depression to feeling excited and energized about a future that I could see in my brain that I decided to put into writing to share with others. And when I got out and started to share it with others, that was the key point. That was where the real power behind this painted picture visioning process started for me. Was I realized there were people in one of two camps. You know, Brian's nuts, he's smoking some hope dope. There's no way he can be on Oprah and grow this thirty city business, or the rest of the people who said, Wow, this is compelling and exciting. I don't know how we're going to get there, but I want to be a part of it. And they stuck around and you know, some of those people are still here today and we've built an incredible We've got a six hundred million dollar business, which back then was a million dollar business and was just an idea of something bigger and better that we could build together. So it's really just imagining the future, putting it and writing, and off we go to share it with people. And you know, if any of your listeners want a painted picture to get a sense of what it's like, they can go to my Instagram or LinkedIn and message me and just say can I see your painted picture?
Speaker 3: And I'll send one over as an example.
Speaker 2: But it's been a powerful, powerful process, and we do it with every brand. Every five years we've got a new painted picture, and it never tells us how to get where we're going. It just says, here's what it looks like, here's why we're doing what we're doing, and what the whole picture. It's like someone envisioning going on a trip. You know, if I asked you where would you go tomorrow? If money wasn't an object, you'd probably have some pretty cool vacation that you'd read out to me of what you have that you could see in your mind, and who would be there and what you're drinking and all that sort of stuff, and it's that same process, but doing it with your business or doing it with your life.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Brian shortly where he tells me about how he removes the natural barriers and roadblocks that our brains want to put up when we try to dream big and imagine what we would love to achieve in the far off future. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way that you work, I write a short fortnightly newsletter that contains three cool things that I've discovered that helped me work better, ranging from software and gadgets that I'm loving through to interesting research findings. You can sign up for that at Howiwork dot cod That's how I work dot co. How do you remove like just the natural obstacles and fears and barriers that your brain wants to put up, Like when you you know, when you ask yourself where do I want to ban in five years? Like what are the questions that you're asking yourself to get over the part of your brain that's like, well, that's ridiculous. I'm not going to be on OPRAH, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean a couple of things. One is I believe if your idea isn't a little bit ridiculous and doesn't make you a little nervous, you're you're not dreaming big enough. If you can get your life's work done in a lifetime, you're not dreaming big enough.
Speaker 3: And so I think it's.
Speaker 2: Got to be a little bit edgy and a little bit.
Speaker 3: Kind of out there.
Speaker 2: And you know, mine was Oprah because I thought Oprah was one of the most amazing leaders and visionaries in the world and having a great impact on the world. And I wanted to meet her and give her a big hug, which I got to do. And it wasn't as much being on the show as it was meeting her and getting to connect with her and spend some time. So everyone has a gift, and everyone comes to this world with some possibility that they might not have tapped into yet. And I think it's just dreaming big but knowing. You know, for me, it's getting rid of the fear of well, what if I fail to me? It's I don't think about how to get there. I just think about where do I Where am I going to go? And then I start to figure out the how after I've written it down after I've committed to something. You know, we wanted to be on The Ellen Degenerous Show, and you know we made that happen twice and it wasn't easy, but I remember it was. You write it down, it creates some fear. It makes you feel a little sick because you're like, how are you going to make that happen? We failed the first you know, twenty or thirty times we tried to make it happen. But eventually, if it's important, you follow through and you find a way, and you find someone that can connect you and make it happen. And it doesn't have to be something big. It can just be big to you, but dreaming big and committing to it and then not worrying about the how until you've written it down.
Speaker 1: So the Ellen Degenerous example came from an exercise that is called can you imagine? How does that work?
Speaker 3: Well, we've got a.
Speaker 2: Big wall in the office that I had a coo that wasn't able to envision anything. Cameron Harold used to say to me, you know, I'm not the vision guy.
Speaker 3: That's you.
Speaker 2: I can't envision the future. And I said, well, of course you can. So I actually ran him through the vacation example. I said, if you can go anywhere tomorrow, money is not an object, where would you go? And he listed out what it would look like, who was with him, what he was drinking, what the temperature was, why he was there. I mean, he had the whole picture in his mind, right off the top of his head. So it's someone to ask you the right questions. What can you imagine? What could you imagine for your business? What could you imagine for your podcast? You know, who's someone If you could have anybody in the world be on your podcast, who would it be? And you ask people question and you dig and dig and dig until they find that those magical possibilities and you write them down. And so can you imagine wall Is putting big things up on that wall, like imagine being on Oprah. Imagine being on the Oprah Winfrey Show, I'm sorry, the Dell and Degeneral Show. Imagine being in the Third Country. We were in Canada and the United States and we envisioned being in Australia and we made it happen. Can you imagine being on the side of a Starbucks cup. They used to have this campaign on the side called the Way I see it, and there were authors and actresses and actors and all sorts of people, and we had a quote that was on the side for one eight hunder god junk you are you can't let go of and so imagining big possibilities, putting them out there to the world and putting them up on the wall, and you never know some of them might actually happen.
Speaker 1: So you did get on I think it was ten million Starbucks cup.
Speaker 3: That's great, Yeah, yeah, one.
Speaker 1: Quote like how did you actually might that happen?
Speaker 2: So there was a woman Andrea in our marketing department. Can you imagine wall is about teaching people to envision big things that could happen for the benefit of the company and themselves, And she came up with one and said, I've seen these quotes on the side of Starbucks cups. Imagine if we had one. And I said, well, you know, five or six dollars latte with a one eight hundergot junk quote. I can't imagine it's going to happen. And it was actually a terrible leadership move on my part because I was trying to squash her idea. But she said, no, no, no, Brian, you've told us to dream big.
Speaker 3: I can see it.
Speaker 2: And when she said she could see it, I was like, Okay, we got to get that up on the wall because that's important. And we reached out through our contacts, through our franchise owners. Does anyone know anyone that works at Starbucks at the head office a higher level. We had a guy in la who used to actually work for Starbucks and he connected us to some of the market people and you know, conversation after conversation. It actually didn't take much. We got introduced to the right people and they like the idea of a quote from an entrepreneur. They hadn't had entrepreneurs on the cups. It was again people more Hollywood based, and they took our quote, helped actually helped me write it, and it ended up on ten million cops.
Speaker 3: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I feel like something that you're very good at is kind of identifying someone that you want to meet or connect with and making it happen. Like there's a story in your latest book byob where you connect with Michael Gerber, who is I guess infamous because of the e Myth Books, which is like a classic book for business owners and you talk about how, like you, you tried to get hold of him many times before it actually happened. But I'd love to know, like, what is your approach in general to reaching out to people that seem untouchable and actually making a real connection with them.
Speaker 2: I think that you know, in this world of people having fame, so you take someone who's an author who's written a legendary bestseller like Michael Gerber, or you take a famous entrepreneur or sports celebrity Shaquille O'Neill who played for the Lakers and you know, world famous, you can still reach out and connect with these people because they are people, and they've got their own insecurities, and they've got their own need for recognition and wanting to help others and so on. It's just reaching out and asking for help or asking them if you can ask a question. There has to be a connection.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: A lot of people go, you know, hey, Brian, you know you've gotten to meet some pretty amazing people, which I have. It's because you're Brian Scidmore and you're the founder of one eight hunder God Junk. Well, no, before you know half the mentors I've met, who would be some big names were before anyone who one eight hunder got Junk was and certainly didn't know who Brian Scudamore was. But I reached out as someone with passion and optimism and the willingness to task for help. So fred De Luca, who is the late founder of Subway, and he was an incredible mentor of mine. He's you know, I think he built a nine billion dollar business before he passed. And I met him at a franchise convention. I was walking the halls and I happened to literally.
Speaker 3: Bump into him.
Speaker 2: I noticed his name tag and I didn't know what he looked like. I just knew the name, and I.
Speaker 3: Said, oh, you're fred De Luca. You started Subway.
Speaker 2: And he was in a rush somewhere and we had a like thirty second chat, and I said, could I reach out and ask you some questions? Sometime he gave me his card, and over the years, I mean, he came to visit me at my office in Vancouver. He would call me from his car phone back in the day when they had car phones, and you know, he would ring me up and say, hey, I'm driving between a meeting. I know you had a question and we'd spend some time chatting through. So I think that a lot of people out there who might seem unapproachable, people don't generally approach them. And it's not you know, in a world today with email, it's pretty easy to guess someone's email address. You know, Michael Dell, who started Dell Computers, we had some Dell challenges years and years ago, and so I went to the top and I figured out that it was I don't remember the exact format, but I think it was Mike Atdell dot com. And forty five minutes later, I'm not kidding, the CEO and founder of a multi billion dollar company got in touch, sent the note to someone else in the business and said, could you please help Brian with this? And you know, it's just it's reaching out and asking the question. I think people are so fearful of failure and rejection that they're not even willing to try.
Speaker 1: But ask the question when you're writing that initial reach out email, is there almost like a format that you would use that you found to be effective in grabbing someone's attention and communicating what you've talked about.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's a format as much as what would be my format, which would you know, I don't want to make it sound formulaic, but it's who I am. I would find something to compliment them on because I you know, I'm reaching out to them for a reason and looking for help. They're probably pretty good at something recognizing that and then just asking for help.
Speaker 3: I have a question.
Speaker 2: I wonder if you have a moment to respond through email or maybe we can get on the zoom And I mean, it's incredible, it happens all the time. Where Again, it's easier as a six hundred million dollar company to connect with people today, but back in the day, it was easy for me to reach out and just ask people questions and ask for help. Everyone that's been successful in this world, my mind, has had help getting there. If they're honest, they don't do it alone, and they remember what it was like to have been helped, and so why not help someone else along the way.
Speaker 1: I imagine with all the mentors that you've had in your career, you must have received some amazing career advice. What have been some of the standout pieces of advice you've got?
Speaker 2: But I tried to franchise my business, I was always impressed by the Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald's, of the franchise model. I loved what he did and how he built his business, and I thought, I want a franchise one eight hunder got junk, and of course we did the same with our other brands in the beginning. I went out and I thought, who can I learn from? And I started approaching all these franchise mentors and some of them were people from McDonald's. And I reached out and connected and almost a dozen people and they all told me, Brian, this isn't franchisable.
Speaker 3: You can't do that.
Speaker 2: And it was incredible feedback. But I didn't let it go just to a oh it can't be done. My question and my notes were why not? What's missing? What would make it franchiseable? Yeah, So I went back to all these mentors after I went back to the drawing board and sort of refined my model and presented back. I didn't go meet them all but a few of them, and I said what about now? And they said, yeah, I think you've got something. And so what was missing was in the junker moval business, having a beat up, old pickup truck model. Everybody said, well, what's stopping anyone from just buying their own truck and starting Dave's hauling.
Speaker 3: And so on, And I said, wow.
Speaker 2: So we added a national brand which was one eight hundred got Junk. We created a look and a feel that looked like a national brand, and we created a call center where we would do all the booking and dispatch for all of our franchise owners so they could pound the pavement and drive sales, built up their team of people, build up the business, and market it while we ran the back end operations. And it worked and it's still working. And so it's when we get feedback from people. It's being willing to ask for the feedback and then listening. One other thing I've written about in one of the books that I've written, I can't remember which one is. I talk about the press taught me how to pitch the press. So if I think of pitching a story to the New York Times, it might have been that I failed pitching the story to the USA Today, or I failed pitching to a big local newspaper. But I ask that journalist, why don't you like it? What's missing? Not trying to convince them, but trying to understand from a journalistic perspective, why isn't it a story? And they give you the answers and you take that and you just and then you go to the New York Times and then you're successful.
Speaker 1: Your latest book is called b Yov and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I think when it comes to business books, a lot of them like there's fuller stuff in them, but I would say with yours, there's none of that. And it's like it's a shortish read. It takes I think you say it takes about ninety minutes, and I did check the time and it's about that. And you know, it's just like it's it's full of just great advice and it's very practical and it's very inspiring. So for people that want to get their hands on the book and also like connect with you in some way, what is the best way for.
Speaker 3: Listeners to do that?
Speaker 2: Go to the world's largest bookstore, Amazon. I mean that's where I found your book, or at least I'm on the pre order, so I can't.
Speaker 3: Wait, thank you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they can go to Amazon. And you know, we tried to make a couple of things with the book. One was make it readable. The Wizard of Ads.
Speaker 1: Roy H.
Speaker 2: Williams, who's my co author, who does the Olive radio advertising. We wrote this book together and it's the second book we did together. And I remember when we wrote WTF Willing to Fail. At the end, I was just like Roy, this is too short, and he's like, no, Roy's written a ton of books. He goes, Brian, do you want it sitting on the bedside table unread or do you want people to actually read it and have it make an impact? And I said, well, of course the latter. He said, then don't make it too long. And knowing that entrepreneurs or want to be entrepreneurs, are often very add make it readable. It's a ninety minute read, maybe one hundred and twenty minutes if you're a slower reader like me.
Speaker 3: But that was the deal.
Speaker 2: And the second thing we did is we made the kindle ninety nine cents, not just as a promo but as something to go. Let's make it approachable. Anybody can read it and download it for a book. And my whole purpose is trying to inspire people to become entrepreneurs. Now, it could be that they end up starting a franchise with another franchise organization. They might start a franchise with us, they might go the path I did and completely start from scratch. It doesn't matter to me what someone chooses, but that if they want that dream of business ownership for themselves, that they do something about it. And so it's meant to be a conversation to inspire some action.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, Brian. It's been so good having you back on. I loved our first chat and I've loved this one, so thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Awesome, thank you, Martha. I mean time is something we both hold near and dear to our heart because you're all about efficiency and tips and hacks and a whole bit, and so it's great time spent together because I always learn things when I do these podcasts and get interviewed and some great questions.
Speaker 3: So thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I just love talking to Brian again, and I loved his process for creating personal videos for new status. It's such a quick thing to do time, but just so impactful. And if you're looking for more tips from Brian, I will link to the first time I had him on the show in the show notes, and also a couple of his tips made it into my new book, time Wise, which contains nearly one hundred different tips, habits, and hacks from the world's most successful people on how they use their time more wisely to get more done and have more joy in their lives. Time Wise is available now wherever you get books from How I Work is produced by Inventium with production support from Dead Set Studios. The producer for this episode was Liam Riordan, and thank you to Matt Nimba who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound so much better than it would have otherwise. See you next time.